Amazon Sumerian

3.5

Amazon Sumerian lets you create and run virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and 3D applications quickly and easily without requiring any specialized programming or 3D graphics expertise.

Work for Amazon Sumerian?

Learning about Amazon Sumerian?

Amazon Sumerian Reviews

Showing 10 Amazon Sumerian reviews
Amazon Sumerian review by Ashely S.
Ashely S.

"VR At Your Fingertips"

What do you like best?

This has got to be one of the most user-friendly applications I have seen to date regarding virtual reality and augmented reality. Personally, I am a pretty computer-savvy person, but I am definitely not skilled in certain areas. This helps ease that burden of needing a graphics design and computer modelling degree.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of any features I particularly dislike at the moment, perhaps if I had more knowledge on building virtual reality and augmented reality setups from scratch I would have more of an opinion.

Right now, we are test-driving this program and coming up with some ideas on how we can possibly implement this program within our training courses to better assist our new hires in understanding exactly what it is we do. This should make the classroom experience more immersive and especially helpful for hands-on and visual learners.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Amazon Sumerian
Amazon Sumerian review by Alek K.
Alek K.

"VR programming done right"

What do you like best?

I like Sumerian's easiness to the way how you can start creating so many things from scratch. It's easy to set up and to start implementing

What do you dislike?

There are many things. First of all, there is no clean way to perform collaboration on the service. It is possible to work around it while importing scenes and exporting it to a different account. So far, our team could only use one Master account where all collaboration basically took place. Secondly, there is no support for Oculus Go. Our team has tried contacting Amazon Sumerian regarding this issue but people on Slack channel (which is though a great idea to have actual Amazon developers on Slack) said that there is support on Oculus Go but clearly we did not have any luck with that. Thirdly but not lastly, while creating scenes, we had issues with colliders. Coding on React was extremely easy for some of scenes but I would definitely recommend implementing something as a collider. The last big issue which I can think of is poor documentation! Our team has looked at documentation and it seems like there are only functions available but not explained what they do and how to use them.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to implement something simple such as intro host or possible a pretty scene, then definitely use Amazon Sumerian. However, if you want to create a VR presentation, then Amazon Sumerian is not developed enough for such thing. I would strongly advise you not to use that in such case.

Implementing AR/VR solutions fast and easy

What 3D Modeling solution do you use?

Amazon Sumerian review by User in Computer Software

"Free program for Animation"

What do you like best?

If you have an AWS account, you can use Amazon Sumerian to work on animation, 3D modeling, and VR/AR projects. This is a great program to start with if you plan to work in design.

What do you dislike?

There's not a lot of documentation or tutorials help you understand how to use certain buttons/tools. It's overwhelming, like Photoshop, which leaves users not knowing the full potential of the program.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Understand that there's not a lot of tutorials on this program. But it's a great program to have in your skills set.

I usually use Amazon Sumerian for Hackathons. I don't use it in a specific business.

Amazon Sumerian review by Administrator

"Sumerian - better version of Lumberyard"

What do you like best?

It's easy to set up and it's AWS so it's quite compatible with everything

What do you dislike?

IAM roles and permissions are extremely difficult to set up unless you are a root user. It's understandable since the project is young but still not comfortable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Work more on the product, people tend to like it better than Lumberyard. It requires less coding experience so it's better for people who like to create VR projects but have very little of coding experience. It's easier than Unity and surely Unreal Engine.

I think that having little coding experience in VR and still be able to create well VR projects is the top benefit of it.

Amazon Sumerian review by User in Civil Engineering
User in Civil Engineering

"VR & AR Technology for a wide range of use"

What do you like best?

This provides many pre-configured building blocks to make creating apps quickly and with less coding to cover the basics like inanimate objects and the basics of a human form.

What do you dislike?

This is free to use and users need to only pay for storage capacity, but the prices could be re-worked and the up-front investment in specialized skills and tools required to even get started building a VR or AR application

Recommendations to others considering the product:

With Amazon Sumerian, it is now possible to create a realistic, interactive VR or AR application in a few hours

Try it out and if interested the team helps you further your skills

The potential of VR and AR technologies can be used for a wide range of uses—from educating and training employees to creating new customer experiences

Amazon Sumerian review by Administrator in Law Enforcement
Administrator in Law Enforcement

"Great Experience"

What do you like best?

For my uses I had very clear directions on the steps to ensure I was accurately setting it up. The cost was minimal for our purposes and we got what we needed out of it.

What do you dislike?

It can be confusing. If I did not have a guide, I most likely would have set it up wrong. There are almost too many options. While that is not necessarily a bad thing, it could make setting up the account a little more complicated than necessary.

It's a quick and easy way to get the research information that you need. The cost is also minimal.

Amazon Sumerian review by Charlie B.
Charlie B.

"good immersive product"

What do you like best?

the ability to connect my products to my customers

What do you dislike?

Not much to complain about. Perhaps a learning curve for new users but most people with a technical background in graphics should find their way.

Creating immersive experience for product testing

Amazon Sumerian review by Consultant

"New media platform"

What do you like best?

This is a great product to play with that gives you the ability to create AR/VR without any experience or graphic ability

What do you dislike?

This is not a turn key solution that it was sold to us as. You need to really spend sometime getting familiar with the product

This is being tested by us as a medium for social media. We are trying to use it for advertising as another medium than just a blog or quick uodate

Amazon Sumerian review by User

"Interface"

What do you like best?

I enjoy the interface of the software making it easy to get my job done.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the learning curve when it comes to using the software.

I use amazon Sumerian to make 3D printing, to be able to use CAD software and print the item.

Amazon Sumerian review by User in Law Practice
User in Law Practice

"Great VR App builder"

What do you like best?

Easy to use and easy to navigate! Definitely a favorite

What do you dislike?

The 3D characters on the platform aren't as lifelike as I thought they would be.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely a great platform to use for VR building.

Honestly just been using it for my own VR application/personal use.

Learning about Amazon Sumerian?

* We monitor all Amazon Sumerian reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.