Screencast-O-Matic

With our easy-to-use screen recorder, you can capture any area of your screen with the option to add narration from your microphone and video from your webcam. Sharing your ideas has never been easier!

Work for Screencast-O-Matic?

Learning about Screencast-O-Matic?

Screencast-O-Matic Reviews

Ask Screencast-O-Matic a Question
Showing 22 Screencast-O-Matic reviews
Screencast-O-Matic review by Sandra G.
Sandra G.

"Great tool for the basics and a little more"

What do you like best?

I've been using Screencast-O-Matic for four years. I've primarily used it to create screen capture video tutorials. More recently, I've been using it to edit client video not created by me. I love the ease and simplicity of the app.

What do you dislike?

I have NO complaints about this app. The only thing that is a snag is that (as far as I know) you can only launch the app from the website. Sometimes I just don't want to launch a browser.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Screencast-O-Matic is a great tool if you are looking for the basics.

I have a client who had hours of great video content with occasional mentions of dates which de-evergreen-ed the content. Because of the static nature of the visual, I was able to edit out these spoken words - sometimes less than a second! The added cloud storage provides a convenient way to create client specific videos I can share easily. I can pop a recording up for client approval, download it and then upload to the clients choice of hosting service. In addition to the convenience, the cloud storage provides a small level of privacy. It's great to have subscribers on YouTube, but I don't want them seeing my client work.

The picture-in-picture feature is especially nice when I'm making a video to communicate or train a specific client. It makes the video personal. I believe people pay attention better, both visually and aurally when they feel they are being spoken to directly.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Screencast-O-Matic
Screencast-O-Matic review by Brent Lionel M.
Brent Lionel M.

"I love using this software for my YouTube tutorials"

What do you like best?

What I like best about it is it has a highlighter on the cursor once you're done saving the video. It also catches the audio from the mic. Also if you have Pro account it can also catch the internal audio of the computer. It can also record your computer screen and webcam video.

What do you dislike?

I can't find any down side on screencast-o-matic as of this time. Price wise it's very affordable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This recording software is super awesome and I can guarantee you that you can use the tool to record trainings, tutorials and any educational materials. Price wise this tool is very affordable and cost efficient.

It's very helpful in creating demo training and video tutorials.

What Screen and Video Capture solution do you use?

Screencast-O-Matic review by Marly D.
Marly D.

"Very useful for quick, easy explanations for teammates"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use Screencast-O-Matic. It's quick to get set up, has a pretty thorough preference and settings, the ability to narrate, webcam, and screencast at the same time, as well as click tracking. It's not the perfect product but it is nice to have something free and easy to use when I need to send a quick explainer video to colleagues and clients.

What do you dislike?

The user interface is blocky and not very clean/minimalist. My MacBook immediately slows down (browser, desktop, etc) when the Screencast is active and it definitely isn't the most perfect product for everyone. It can stutter and glitch a little depending on how many tabs/screens are open, but that can be expected for a variety of products. I'm interested in seeing the recorded being changed a bit to make the UI a little less blocky, slow, and glitchy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend doing some searching and comparing Screencast to other products and seeing what works best for you. This definitely isn't perfect, but it is a great fix for a small business rather than forcing myself into unnecessary meetings. I don't know how well this would implement on a corporate or larger level.

When I need to show a client how to set something up, I utilize this program to narrate my methods and send to them. It makes it so I don't need to have a meeting with them just to show them a quick setup. I also run a Book Exchange Facebook group, and I've utilized Screencast to place instructions on how to sign up on the website.

Screencast-O-Matic review by User

"Great screen recorder for short how-to videos"

What do you like best?

With the free version, you are able to record your screen and/or yourself using a WebCam, record a window, and assuming while recording. You can trim your recordings, but you can’t edit them and you are limited to 15 minutes. It is easy to share your video to social media platforms or publish to YouTube. You can also easily save your screencast to your desktop.

What do you dislike?

The free version has a watermark on your screen, and it limits you to 15 minute recording this so this is not ideal if you want to make a longer video. It also does not let you take a screenshot to use with in your video.

I enjoy using this product to make short how to videos for our staff and students. I also use it to record short lessons, and I have had my students use it to explain their thinking on a problem in class.

Screencast-O-Matic review by John C.
John C.

"My Go-To Screen Capture Solution"

What do you like best?

AMAZING value! Shhh! I would pay more for Screencast-O-Matic, but I love how their price makes it a no-brainer. You can do most of what the much more expensive platforms offer. There are so many ways that I've used this - not only for myself but clients as well. I've shot tutorials, reviews, explainer videos, and much more!

What do you dislike?

After using Screencast-O-Matic for years I'm still trying to find something that I don't like. But if there's any area for "improvement," it would be connecting with other users and sharing tips on how to get the most out of this software. It would be awesome to share ideas and strategies with others who love this tool as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

See what's out there - then you'll realize how much value this little software offers!

When I want to quick show someone how to do something on my computer, I simply boot up Screencast-O-Matic and create a simple tutorial. Other times I can review a document and share my thoughts with my team and clients. I've also done review videos, short explainers and much more.

"Great find!"

What do you like best?

I like how you can use it at a very basic level or spend more time learning and use the pro features. After mastering the basics, I can now quickly create videos when I need to explain something to customers or colleagues. When making a recording, I can practice several times and easily delete when I've made a mistake.

What do you dislike?

It is not easy to move the line to start editing inside the video. Installing the Launch Recorder was confusing. I would like to have popup Help Tips while editing. When editing, the interphase is not very clear and it's hard to select among the tools. I don't like that it does not create links that can be embedded on a website.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need to embed video links on a website, you'll need to find a tool to export from screencast-o-matic to a link that can be embedded.

I can easily create videos to share with my customers. When taping webinars or other live sessions I don't have to worry about making mistakes because Screencast-o.matic allows me to correct and edit as needed before sharing the recordings. I also like that I can blur images, narrate over and insert logos. My biggest benefit has been having an effective tool to create professional quality recordings to share with my customers.

Screencast-O-Matic review by User

" "Create your own videos now with screencast or matic" "

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

it gives us the possibility to record and see us to correct possible errors, it can be useful for post-graduate activities at the University, but it must have internet

Recommendations to others considering the product

With screencast or matic now from your work, home or anywhere that has equipment such as pc and internet connection today is as easy as we can imagine; It gives us the possibility to record and see us to correct possible errors, it can be useful for post-graduate activities at the University, at work it gives me the possibility to record an activity with instructions or to agree on a video conference if so I would like, all this shortening distance, reducing the costs of unnecessary transfers, among others. It is an excellent product

With screencast or matic the myth of what recording a video is very expensive and for specialists, now from your work, home or anywhere that has equipment such as pc and internet connection today is so easy to that we can imagine; It gives us the possibility to record and see us to correct possible errors, it can be useful for post-graduate activities at the University, at work it gives me the possibility to record an activity with instructions or to agree on a video conference if so I would like, all this shortening distance, reducing the costs of unnecessary transfers, among others.

Screencast-O-Matic review by Joshua D.
Joshua D.

"Great screen capture software!"

What do you like best?

I record screen captures every week so I need screen capture software that also includes an editor. This is easy to use and has all the features I need.

What do you dislike?

It has the option to record both microphone input and computer audio. I like to record both but the computer audio doesn't work most of the time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have a free version but it is well worth paying for the Deluxe or Premier plans.

I do software training regularly and need the ability to quickly record and edit videos. Screencast-O-Matic does a great job and is very affordable.

Screencast-O-Matic review by User

"Easy and Efficient which makes it Effective"

What do you like best?

The program is easy to use, easy to learn, easy to train others and easy to edit. Teachers considered technologically challenged use the program flawlessly due to the simplistic approach to presenting information.

What do you dislike?

The program is compatible with so many different tools. The editing features are easy to use. The cost is affordable. The only feature that I would like to see returned, that was removed in version 2, is the screen steps. You can still create screen shots but it requires more clicks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ensure you purchase pro-hosting to help users support video creation and help with proprietary information.

We help faculty, staff and students navigate through the material from tech how tos to discipline content explained. The system easily allows closed captions to be added helping meet ADA compliance needs.

Screencast-O-Matic review by Kristen R.
Kristen R.

"Basic, but Cost-Effective Solution for More Features"

What do you like best?

The free version does a good job for doing a simple screen recording when you need it. To upgrade, it's only $15 annually, and it also lets you draw on the screen while you are recording.

What do you dislike?

The free version leaves a watermark on the recording, which does not look very professional.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The cost for the professional upgraded version is quite affordable to get a more quality looking video.

Being able to briefly explain concepts to others without having to be in the same location. I can record my screen while speaking and show a task being completed.

Screencast-O-Matic review by Irina D.
Irina D.

"The best screen recorder ever"

What do you like best?

It is easy to use and does not ask you for money in the last minute after you already have your record done, like many other platforms do. It is honest - free version really means a free version.

The platform lets you record your screen up to 15 min (free version, and you don´t need to register to use it), then it offers to save it to download it directly to the net. You just need to pull the frames of the record launcher to specify the record area you need.

Works really fast and easy.

What do you dislike?

There´s nothing I don´t like about it, it works fast and without problems

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try!

Recording a laptop screen when some system errors occur and you need a provider of services to solve them

Screencast-O-Matic review by Sarah H.
Sarah H.

"Makes scripting and screen capture easy"

What do you like best?

I like that this web app is straight forward, it does what it advertises, it's inexpensive and it's easy to use.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing I dislike. Just make sure it's what you want because there are no extra bells and whistles.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend exploring the free version first to make sure that Screencast-O-Matic offers what you need. It's easy to make your first video.

I am using this to create videos for online vocational training. My students say that my videos are the best part of the courses I write.

Screencast-O-Matic review by User

"Awful, the software continues to screw up my youtube videos by not aligning the audio with the video"

What do you like best?

Its easy to use but SUCKS when I record a commentary on a youtube video and then on playback it does not align the video's audio (the one I'm doing a commentary on) with the video. They keep giving me an update or a fix here and there, and it works for awhile and then it does it again AFTER I have already uploaded the video to YouTube. I get a bunch of views, and because it HAS been working right, I didn't check it before I loaded it. This software is FRUSTRATING.

What do you dislike?

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would ask them if they have a bug where the video you are commenting on does not align with the audio. If you don't ask that and you are producing videos for YouTube, you will have a channel with videos that have the sound off from the video just like a Japanese movie where the audio is off. I have asked these people for 2 to 3 years to fix this and I have numerous videos on my YT channel that are perminently screwed up because of this. I can't er-upload them because the views are established PLUS I shouldnt HAVE TO deal with thsi issue...I keep askign them and they keep giving me a fix and it KEEPS happening once I relax and start recording again. It will work for about a week or so and then Boom..I have a recently uploaded video with sound completely off and the reason I didn't check it before I uploaded was because I was TRUSTING that last fix worked....this software will screw up your YT channel if this doesn't get fixed.

It keeps having the same problem and I kleep gettign fixes from tech support and then the problem happens again OVER 3 years of use...its happened about 10 times or more....

Screencast-O-Matic review by Carly B.
Carly B.

"Review of Screencast-o-matic"

What do you like best?

This program is really great for educators. I am able to share my notes and allow students to follow my voice with the video.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like that you have to have internet access to use the program. Also the free version is very limited.

I am solving the issue of allowing me to use more technology in the classroom. Students are able to go back to notes when needed.

Screencast-O-Matic review by Marc T.
Marc T.

"Dead Simple Screencasting Solution"

What do you like best?

Screencast-o-matic is a simple and powerful screen recording solution. The free version offers excellent feature. The reasonably priced upgraded plans offer editing, additional audio tracks, longer recording times and additional export options.

What do you dislike?

The free version only allows downloading in webm format and does not capture system sounds.

Screencast-o-matic is great for creating quick videos to demonstrate processes for users who need to "see it to get it".

Screencast-O-Matic review by User in Higher Education

"Great, inexpensive application for screen captures for tutorials, etc."

What do you like best?

Steps you through the process of writing a script, recording your voice reading the script, and capturing the screens and mouse moves while you listen to each script section.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike. There is so much function, you need to see the help to understand it. However, the help is provided by videos which show the functions very clearly. So you can learn it quickly, even if it wasn't too obvious at first.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try the free product, then upgrade to see the additional editing features. Cost is very reasonable.

Creating video tutorials to put on YouTube.

Screencast-O-Matic review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Great for training videos"

What do you like best?

For a very inexpensive plan, you can create videos for training purposes and edit them without much training. You can also edit as you go, and add clips in an existing video, do voiceover, etc.

What do you dislike?

Can't really think of anything specifically based on my usage.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have looked at other software for screen recording (and was originally looking for a free version, just like everyone else). While they offer a free version, it does have the watermark that wouldn't have worked for us, but the Deluxe plan is inexpensive enough to where I can have it for a full year and create the videos I need, share with the team, edit them, etc.

Definitely recommend.

Training videos for new employees and for any procedure changes.

Screencast-O-Matic review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Easy to Use and Lots of Uses"

What do you like best?

Screencast O Matic has solved quite a few issues for us in the realm of project management, HR, and employee onboarding. The really nice thing is that the software is very easy to use. I used this for a presentation to make 1-3 minute clips of a software or tip I was presenting and added them easily to my presentation. This allowed my visual peeps to get on board, and we save them for later for future reference.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! I love how you can back up and re-record, and how you can have the pointer show up or not.

we are streamlining the employee onboarding process and creating a library of info for our project managers.

Screencast-O-Matic review by User

"Great for online learning"

What do you like best?

This makes it really easy to share information with students along with a presentation. I love that you can use different platforms along with this.

What do you dislike?

Then appearance on the user end could be more user friendly, but the overall result still works great.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Really great tool that is easy to use

So much easier to allow students to look back at the information. Can allow for online learning without needing to repeat my information.

Screencast-O-Matic review by Abhijeet D.
Abhijeet D.

"Amazing for tutorials"

What do you like best?

It has so many features to edit your screencasts, and is extremely easy for anyone to use

What do you dislike?

The full version costs some money, but it is not too expensive. You can get by with the free version, but there is a watermark

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try out the free version and you may find it worth the money for the full version

Creating tutorials

Screencast-O-Matic review by User

"Making video demonstrations with ease"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use to create screencasts to demonstrate software applications to others.

What do you dislike?

I dislike needing to download the application and run it for the screen capture.

It is much easier (and quicker) to show a recording of using a software feature than it is to write detailed instructions

Screencast-O-Matic review by User in Public Relations and Communications
User in Public Relations and Communications

"User friendly"

What do you like best?

This software is user friendly and allows for digital collaboration and learning

What do you dislike?

This software isn't cloud-based and requires installation

Showing how a website functions in my computer screen; the benefit is that nothing is lost in translation

Learning about Screencast-O-Matic?

* We monitor all Screencast-O-Matic reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.