Proto.io Reviews & Product Details

Proto.io Overview

What is Proto.io?

With Proto.io you can create high-fidelity fully interactive prototypes in minutes.

Proto.io Details

Proto.io
2011
San Francisco, CA
@protoio
1,070 employees on LinkedIn®

Proto.io Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Proto.io community
Have you used Proto.io before?

Proto.io Reviews

Showing 52 Proto.io reviews
Already have Proto.io?
Product Manager
What do you like best?

My users and myself we able to quickly leran the application. It is intuitive

I liked the fact that you have incorporated the Material Design library out of the box. Most modern applications requires this library. It lacks some components however

I also like the ease you can publish the prototype and how easy you can collaborate with stakeholders.

Proto.io spaces is an amazing place to get help, find new ideas and reuse existing projects Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The product lacks some major components like tables which are needed when building a data oriented application. We solved this by integrating HTML, however it did not provide the real desired experience.

We should allow the community to build missing components and publish them Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

when creating a protoype, create reusable containers

check the proto.io spaces where you can find great ideas

work incrementaly Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

we wanted an efficient way to convince management with the new product ideas and show them the benefit of adopting modern UI/UX . We achieved this by using Material Design Look and feel

Also we wanted to test some new UX ideas and without proto.io there was no way to show them and automate it. It looked very realistic to the end results Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior UI Developer
What do you like best?

Easy integration with the mobile. Live preview for the prototype. Proto.io is the only online tool to provide the live demo/preview to test the prototype without writing the coding. I was using Proto.io for more than 5 years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I waiting for the desktop application for Proto.io.

This is the one and only dislike, i won't tell this as dislike, it's the additional option i'm looking for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Best prototype creation application available in the industry for all use, just go for it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm a UI/UX designer, working the startup company. Where mobile application is the big platform to take the business to next level. I started the mobile app prototype on Proto.io and i have solved the mobile application expectation by creating the prototype of our web application into mobile application.

Because of easy user interface, easy usage of all the tools available in the app, it's possible for me to create the prototype using Proto.io.

Customer support is excellent in Proto.io. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assistant Product Manager
What do you like best?

Auto cropping the screenshot and provide a Mockup.

I could easily upload the image of any size onto your platform for processing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The available styles for the Fonts. Less choice of Price Plan so I could not get accurate features I wanted Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Allow user to save a single App but with multiple Platforms, i.e. IOS and Android. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Save time and cost on designing App Store screenshots.

More focus on the Product itself. I think I also do not require a Designer for the help before promptly put up my Mobile App onto Stores.

For next I could get better control of the output rather than repeatedly giving instructions for my designer to edit and output.

Next time before I want to submit another app, I could clone the template again.

This back ups all my design into 1 place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Projects and marketing officer
What do you like best?

Proto is super complete, offering you the possibility to represent any type of interaction.

Very suitable for app and web protos Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The demo might get a bit slow when the screen is heavy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It’s super complete, allowing you to display all sorts of interactions, you can create events dependencies using container and screen states Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am using it at work (I work for a software development company), to represent visually the scopes of the project I am working on, but also to guide the programmers during the development phase Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Business Analyst
What do you like best?

Very easy to use, you can import your own pictures as well, prototypes can be made for multiple screen sizes (phones, tabs, web, etc). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The fonts are too small, it would be good if the overall layout was a bit easier on the eyes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely worth a try! Good for beginners. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Benefits wise, its great for showcasing prototypes to clients/prospects. Gives a really good feel and idea of the actual product being showcased.

Problems wise, it can be quite laggy some times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Product Designer / Researcher / UX
What do you like best?

Being capable to prototype and animate, and even adding css and html animations or other snippets. From that perspective is one of the most complete tools out there. Also, unlike most of the famous solutions out there, you can perform the design, the prototype and the interactive presentation all together. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Performance due being a web app, when the boards are too big is not good. Also it lacks some measure and tools to make the design pixel perfect. Quality of rendering sometimes not good either. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Really good learning curve to make prototypes, it is easy to use and easy to share to other team members. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the libraries of Porto.io and the templates they provide. It help me a lot during design. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When I want to import other project in online editor they don’t have any option for this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Now I am working on a Medical software framework design Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior ui / ux
What do you like best?

I like how easy is to design and create a prototype at the same type Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not able to export for android mobiles sizes and no clear handover for developers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Amazing tool just be careful no proper hander for dev Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having a high fidelity design app Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CL
What do you like best?

Proto.io is an easy way to create clickable prototypes. The best thing about the tool is the easiness to animate interactions and the quality of the final outcome. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish if the tool had more features to edit create designs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use proto.io to mainly animate my designs. I use it for recording my design process video mockups too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Obviously, how versatile it is compared to many other choices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not always intuitive. I wish it was possible to quickly duplicate interactions. Not really good for showcasing the prototype on mobile devices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Has a learning curve but it is worth it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Most prototyping tools don't have anywhere near as many options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Proto.io has a great UX, it is easier to use that a lot of other prototyping softwares (e.g. protopie). Think of Proto.io as the Wix for prototyping, it has more flexibility than Marvel but functions slights worse (similar to comparing Wix and Squarespace). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be very laggy when using the app to build the prototypes. Also it doesn't flow as nice as other softwares mentioned: it is very much a number of screenshots with buttons to link them and some additional features (pop up windows) . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it as a first time prototyper to communicate your ideas. Marvel is probably better for people later stage looking for better flow and more functionality Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is great for first timer's looking to build their first prototypes to try and communicate to other what is in their head. I used it as an entrepreneur to see if other's would understand the concept and also A/B test design features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UA
What do you like best?

Proto.io is great for creating wire-frames of what you want your mobile/tablet/desktop app to look like. It lets you turn your wireframe into a prototype that looks and feels like an actual application, letting you input data, interact with objects, and go through screens naturally during a demo. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve with some of the advanced features of proto.io, like creating interactive containers. However, no other software that I'm aware of has the interactivity that proto.io has Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Proto.io will really make your wireframes come to life! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Wireframing and prototyping that feels real. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

nothing I liked the best about this tool... customer service care only about your $ Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

DO NOT USE proto.io !!! еfirst of all - they have so many bugs... my developer and I had to contact customer service many times just to find out there are bugs and we need to change a few things... and it's just not worth it overall. There is a better services out there - just do your search. Also there is no way of exporting your project. I had a slight delay with going forward with my project and needed to pause my subscription - there is a "parking fee" every month. I have been a loyal customer for over a year and paid a lot of money over this period, then I parked it for a few months and still paid monthly "parking" fees... but when I realized I need to put the project on hold - until further notice proto.io customer service was not helpful at all - they said there is no way to back up the project and save it. we live in 21 century - the century of IT - task like this is so simple - they just want you to continue paying them.... If I cancel my subscription - my project will be deleted forever... the only way to keep it is to continue paying ... scumbags! think twice before start using them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

do not use it. period....

... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sócio-fundador e Produtor Executivo
What do you like best?

After testing many solutions for creating wireframes and prototypes, I found Proto.io. Because of its many features and integration between design and prototype of layers, using it I had the best user experience so far. It has many functionalities, like animations, layers and other features for high fidelity prototyping, but it's not difficult to understand, learn or use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Altough its not difficult to use, the interface of Proto.io is a bit cluttered and it lacks space for the design-work on screens that are not so big. The pricing plans for more users are expensive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are searching for a High-Fidelity protyping tool, Proto.io probably will be the better choice between the "low-cost" tools that can deliver these features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm using Proto.io to make wireframes and prototypes for a cloud service that we are creating. It helps me think about my project because it integrates design ant prototyping tools and animations right inside the same interface. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that I can easily create objects, and different screen states that will transition into a beautiful prototype that my developers can digest and then go and build. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The quality of the images in terms of exporting the documents is actually kind of poor. Some of the color pairings available in Adobe PS/IN/ILL are not possible in Proto. Proto is easier to use than adobe things so I've actually tried to make things in proto and export, however the images are very poor.... I almost wish there was more training in the beginning, but I've been using proto consistently for the last 90 days, and am struggling to think that far back. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Has alot of functionality, but not everything. Some things are harder to develop so that's understandable. It'll change how you design mock ups. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can create my wireframes for a developer, let someone play with it, tell me what's wrong with it before having the entire thing developed. Saves a lot of time and money. Users can feel the prototype without using the full platform.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UX/ UI designer
Design
What do you like best?

Proto.io has a lot of wonderful features for quick prototyping. The animations are a great buy, especially its is like designing an actual product. Even the export to HTML is a huge help for this product. I like the fact that Proto.io is a web product and not only restricted to the mac OS as many prototyping tools are restricted to mac OS which does not all alot of users who use windows to prototype.

Another great feature is the integration of photoshop, where on can easily just import files and so easily prototype in Proto.io.

Also Proto.io give you the freedom to customize your prototype for any particular screen of your choice and Proto.io is not just limited to web and mobile app. This has helped me alot especially when i do custom designs for prototypes.

The layers option is really great which gives the user the freedom to move layers and groups around in Proto.io makes the user feel at home. Great going Proto.io love this product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as of now, as there are soo many options and I do not find anything lacking so far. Maybe if they could also integrate Figma would be great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Absolutely as this is the best software for prototyping. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Proto.io helps to make ideas come to life very very quickly and it helps for quick ideating, prototyping and iterations, it also helps to show prospective customers and clients our idea with a live feeling of the app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder & CEO
Consumer Services
What do you like best?

I love the fact of how incredibly flexible it is. You can even program movements in a way. I even created a synced countdown timer that would work even when clicking to a new page! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish they'd make the "programming" a little more dumbed down (it's not really like software programming; just for a lack of a better term). I also highly dislike the fact that they charge you to "park" your project when you're not using it. That's extremely lame. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It take some time to learn how to do the hard core stuff, but it's possible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm able to make sophisticated app ideas come to life. People understand my vision better and can use something tangible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
Internet
What do you like best?

Strong prototyping capabilities of the platform not only you can design your prototypes with features available here, you can also build your interaction design with this tool. Being a cloud-based platform you can share your work easily with your remote teams to review or to edit it further - saves you time for using any third party sharing applications like Google Drive, Box, and OneDrive etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Being on a cloud the performance of the tool is directly proportional to your internet connection, people in remote or slower net connectivity may become frustrated with network outages. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For interaction designers and Prototypers, they should give this tool a try for one of their projects. If I had choice to recommend it to any client I would surely suggest this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have prototype many mobile app ideas for our clients and have quickly able to move into the build cycle for our clients. Using this tool has help our clients to improvise on their ideas faster and being a remote team this cloud based platform worked wonders for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UX Designer
E-Learning
What do you like best?

Sketch > Proto.io plugin. The ability to create high fidelity prototypes. Once you get how to use it, it's an extremely valuable tool that I would highly recommend. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is quite high, and tool findability could be higher. It's occasionally slow with the Sketch import, and it would need to import sketch files as editable SVG's to be essential. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Sketch, Photoshop and Sublime text. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

High fidelity user testing, quick and accurate feedback. It works with the design tools we use impeccably.

It gives us the ability to seamlessly go from design > prototype > user feedback. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder
What do you like best?

I like the ease of use and the power of this tool. You can build detailed and complex workflows using the online editor and then present the mock-up on a mobile device as if it was a real standalone app. My customers were amazed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. It takes some time to figure out the more advanced features but the video tutorials are verdy helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I managed to convince my clients how a custom mobile app would create great benefits. In a couple of hours I had put something together that looked like a real app, including animation effects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UD
What do you like best?

Really good app for mobile prototyping

- comes with mobile widget library for android and iOS

- easy interaction features

- community site with cool ideas posted and downloadable components

- integration with sketch and photoshop

- easy to share and demo for those who don't have an app (just send a url link generated)

- they have an app to easily transfer the prototype to your device Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not good for advanced features like calculations or complex logic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great starter software for prototyping Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Building prototypes of designs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Designer, Marketing Services
What do you like best?

Static wireframes are quickly becoming a thing of the past. With Proto.io, I am easily able to create interactive wireframes for my current web design and development projects including animations, UX flows, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing so far. Everything is easy to use. I have not been able to try the Photoshop plugin yet, but I am sure it is just as easy to use! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do not consider other services - Proto.io has everything you need! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Wireframes and UI/UX experience flows for client projects Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Proto.io is very easy to use. It's simple design interface was easy to grasp and functional. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Haivng to pay for a subscription is a bit of a hassle, but it's money well-spent as a developer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Proto.io and inVision are comparable for making prototypes, but Proto.io is higher-fidelity and easier to use in an all-in-one software that's browser-based. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Quick prototyping and user testing is what I mainly used Proto.io for. It was easy to make changes and execute a high-fidelity prototype. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Designer gráfico
Graphic Design
What do you like best?

The review that you can gete from clients, heatmaps and video replay. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some bugs that can be fixed, like the layers function in one of my prototypes this function doesnt worked at all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Feedback from users is really awesome, and the intuitive construction of the apps interations are really great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Prototyping apps in my case, customer and client review really quickly and precisely. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that the user friendliness and the fact that it's frequently updated. It has a lot of interactions in the library and it's totally doable to fully prototype a basic app and make it look great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It does not have all of the functionality that a tool like Axure has. It can also be problematic that it's web-based. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't expect this to be the end all be all of prototyping, but it is a great tool for moderately complicated apps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I create an app that will be used by laundromats and it was very simple and easy to use. I was able to do this relatively quickly and hand off to developers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.