IBM Cognos Controller

3.8

IBM Cognos Controller is a cloud-based solution designed to support the close, consolidation and reporting process.

Work for IBM Cognos Controller?

Learning about IBM Cognos Controller?

IBM Cognos Controller Reviews

Showing 32 IBM Cognos Controller reviews
IBM Cognos Controller review by Neha S.
Neha S.

"Good Product for Analytics "

What do you like best?

Easy GUI and robust customization along with flexible reporting. Good customer support practices and easy to navigate support. Sales team is pleasure to work with. I like how you can configure your own home page and have your personal views and can save your views as well.

What do you dislike?

Clutter icons on toolbar and coloring plus fonts. Dashboard based reporting could be improved and exporting of data needs improvement. The screen also needs better design so that users feel less stressed while using it and should be able to change toolbar buttons and dashboards. We also think it can do better by having settings button on the home page itself.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good product with robust configuration capabilities

We have increased revenue by 10M by targeting customers due to good data mining and reporting. We also have folks who target base by data driven decisions making. This helps company in making better informed decisions and improve top line and bottom line both. We are planning to do lot more with IBM and plan to rol this our at other sites and to more users so that profitability can be improved

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about IBM Cognos Controller
IBM Cognos Controller review by john n.
john n.

"Get the best software to analyze and update your plan."

What do you like best?

It is easy to use. Data can easily be transformed that eases the reporting process. It has a friendly user interface which allows even those implementing it for the first time to have an easy time.

What do you dislike?

I like everything about IBM. However, it can hardly process structured data directly. If you are using another software, the costs of switching might also be high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

IBM Cognos Controller is a software which allows the integration of Microsoft excel. It therefore makes it easy especially to those familiar with excel sheets. It has a friendly user interface and headed to the right direction. I can therefore recommend it for companies of all levels. It also allows you to do a step by step analysis giving you results at every stage whether working with groups or otherwise.

It has been enabling me to edit values directly in an exploration sheet. It also makes it possible to distribute numeric values through data spreading in leaf cells. It is also possible to view and add comments in cells. It has thus been enabling to give some explanation on the varying data and values in a spread sheet. I am not in a position to provide screenshots since I use it with my office computer and I am on leave.

What Financial Close solution do you use?

IBM Cognos Controller review by User in Computer & Network Security
User in Computer & Network Security

"Not much experience, but seems to be a solid tool"

What do you like best?

Definitely the quality of functionality - I assisted with a financial operation in which this tool was used. We primarily looked at this tool as part of a trade study for a short term intern project and ended up using it to generate mock reports for management. The reports were detailed enough that management decided to continue using the tool.

What do you dislike?

Definitely not the most user-friendly product- most tools used for financial report generation are not. Generally, having prior experience in these kinds of tools helps but for a first time user not in the finance field, it was not easy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely read through documentation and watch tutorials before using the tool.

We used to IBM Cognos Controller to generate financial reports for management - the reports are detailed and the tool is versatile enough that it continued being used after the project EOL. We created scripts to parse information from the reports and feed it to a dashboard.

IBM Cognos Controller review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Financial Services
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Financial Services

"Risk Analyst "

What do you like best?

This software is an affordable cloud based solution to a lot of key business which makes it stand out amongst other software's and creates competition. I love the features in software and it really helps when viewing data and visibility wise. Great for financial analysis and solution base.

What do you dislike?

The only part that I dislike is that the layout can be more tech friendly. Most cloud based soft wares have a similar kind of layout which makes it very dull for the user. Along with this, there can be additional features that can be added to help users with their analysis.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I suggest changing the layout for users and adding more functions that can help in terms of modeling risks and heavy analysis work.

The business problems that I am solving through this software deals with working with data in general in terms of loss data. I am able to view trends depicted through graphs and through other metrics in this software which helps the business out in terms of focusing on solution base work.

IBM Cognos Controller review by sonia o.
sonia o.

"Purchasing Manager"

What do you like best?

the ease of it being a cloud based item- its a great feature

What do you dislike?

I have not used it long enough to see any significant negatives. For me I need several months to figure out its issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its worth giving it a try but I would recommend a use of appproximately 6 months in order to determine if it is the right product for this industry. A few weeks isnt enough to determine and it is a very large investment so we want to make sure it is perfect

I have been using it mainly for my accounting, more specifically in order to track cost savings if any

IBM Cognos Controller review by Amreen C.
Amreen C.

"Efficient software"

What do you like best?

This software gets the job done! Easy to switch between budgets and use for forecasting purposes.

What do you dislike?

Initially, it wasn’t so user friendly. Took longer training that I hoped but it’s a less of a headache than the last software we were using

I am working in business management and doing budget analysis to make sure we are funded for all our networks. IBC Cognos Controller gives me the benefit of doing all that outside of excel. All the formulas i previously had to create are not needed with this software. I am able to keep track of the budgets and forecasts.

IBM Cognos Controller review by Jackie Q.
Jackie Q.

"Cognos: simple and user friendly"

What do you like best?

Cognos was very easy to learn. The set up team were extremely helpful and always answered my questions very quickly.

What do you dislike?

There are a few items that I felt could have been more user friendly. For example, I need to double click on items rather than clicking once to open. It's really a minor issue though now that I'm used to the tools.

Cognos has been instrumental in quickly viewing different budgets across various accounts. With one click, spend in categories can be determined on a monthly basis.

IBM Cognos Controller review by Dan O.
Dan O.

"Very Easy to use and store information"

What do you like best?

Cognos is one of the best tools that our team uses on a daily basis. I would highly, highly recommend to anyone!

What do you dislike?

System is going through a lot of updates and changes, and that can cause some delays

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to work closely with admin for smooth imp.

It allows us to quickly and efficiently look at our data and see what areas we need to look out

IBM Cognos Controller review by L. Sean G.
L. Sean G.

"Amazing Review!"

What do you like best?

The ability and usability of the application! The application is amazing.

What do you dislike?

The technical support aspect is poor. The response time as well as the helpfulness of technical support is poor.

That works well with our VPN. It also is compatible with our Macs as well as our windows products. My company switched to Congos from a lesser product. We are very pleased with the software.

IBM Cognos Controller review by Clint N.
Clint N.

"Cognos Review"

What do you like best?

The system works very well for report gathering and connecting with other commuter systems. The format is user friendly, but could use improvements.

What do you dislike?

The layout of the system seems to be a little dated and could use an upgrade in that regard. I’ve always thought this would be a good improvement.

Report gathering and combining from other systems

"Financial Results, Simplified"

What do you like best?

The ability to quickly and accurately produce quarterly financial results.

What do you dislike?

Slow interface at times, results can take time to calculate given large sets of data used on an enterprise level.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure that the product fits your company's needs as I feel it is best suited for large-scale implementations at large firms/corporations.

Market-wide financial results month over month and quarter over quarter are easier to compile and present. Since our market covers most of Florida, it's very important to have a system that can quickly compile results.

IBM Cognos Controller review by User in Financial Services

"Databases that work for you!"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that I can easily query tables to find the data that I want to report out the data into an excel format, for example

What do you dislike?

I dislike the server bounce time that can be too lengthy if you are pulling a lot of data

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend that you get a demo from the company. They are always willing to come onsite to help you out

We use it in our risk reports to report BAU metrics

"IBM Cognos 10"

What do you like best?

Being able to run reports in a timely manner for upper level manager.

What do you dislike?

How long it takes to build a report from scratch.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would try the system out before using it. The look of the system is a little outdated for where technology is going.

Problem I am solving is making sure the financials that are in the FDW match what business units are showing on their books. How easy it is to compare data.

IBM Cognos Controller review by pamela s.
pamela s.

"IBM Review"

What do you like best?

The application is easy to use and is integrated with other applications within our system

What do you dislike?

It would be great if it was available offline.

Financial management reports

"Finance, automated."

What do you like best?

How easily it allows us to deliver quarterly financial results for our market. We are able to utilize the technology to provide our market executives clear and concise data.

What do you dislike?

The interface takes time to learn and training is time consuming.

We are solving connectivity issues with different parts of the firm. We are able to consolidate data from many area using one platform.

IBM Cognos Controller review by Consultant in Information Technology and Services
Consultant in Information Technology and Services

"Great product, does not seem to be getting the investment in needs."

What do you like best?

This is a great purpose built application that makes financial consolidation a snap for the smallest and largest of organizations.

What do you dislike?

I wish IBM would recognize the strategic importance of this product in its analytics portfolio. PLease give us a cloud version of the product.

Financial reporting, consolidation, intercompany eliminations, topside financial entries, budget to actual reporting.

IBM Cognos Controller review by Consultant in Outsourcing/Offshoring
Consultant in Outsourcing/Offshoring

"cognos"

What do you like best?

they provide better features for clearing cache and different ways of running the reports. we do use cognos sdk which is +1

What do you dislike?

well the support part of it they do provide but any resolution would cost us

we are trying to publish the reports using essbase and cognos and these report are used by senior manager for analysis

IBM Cognos Controller review by Administrator in Financial Services
Administrator in Financial Services

"Decent product"

What do you like best?

It just works. We got it installed with our systems and the number of incidents we’ve had dropped to zero. The pricings are always on time and correct in our systems now.

What do you dislike?

It was challenging in terms of selling it to the business when it came to cost

The reports we had trouble running on in-house software.

"works well"

What do you like best?

This is a good reporting package, its very helpful for reporting sales analytics.

What do you dislike?

The IBM help staff can be a little slow, there is always too much down time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Works well for sales compensation and other analytical uses.

Use it for sales analytics and sales compensation. I focus on adjusting the sales compensation of our sales team.

IBM Cognos Controller review by User in Banking
User in Banking

"Good but could be improved"

What do you like best?

The ability to share information with colleagues

What do you dislike?

Glitches and crashes sometimes during meetings

Data analysis, presenting

IBM Cognos Controller review by User in Insurance
User in Insurance

"Cognos"

What do you like best?

What I like best is the detail of the reports. I also like that the reports come out very professional.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that the display keys are hard to get to.

Pulling premium, loss and expenses out of the financial data warehouse. A benefit is the accuracy of the data.

IBM Cognos Controller review by User in Financial Services

"Efficient financial reporting program"

What do you like best?

Accelerates close and reporting for our financials with IT support and help where needed

What do you dislike?

It took a while to get used to the new system and figure out the perks, but will be much easier going forward

Creates good metrics and financial reports at the end of the period

"Cognos"

What do you like best?

The tools were intuitive and current with business financial management requirements.

What do you dislike?

We went to a very low level of detail which translated into a lot of additional effort with a lesser return in value. We should have paid more attention to this.

Reporting and deployment insights.

IBM Cognos Controller review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"All in One "

What do you like best?

I love that we have the ability to ensure accurate data and reconciliation of our finances and have reduced the amount of errors.

What do you dislike?

We are still in the honeymoon phase but no issues yet.

Much more accurate data and we can control the whole process in one system.

IBM Cognos Controller review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Writing and Editing
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Writing and Editing

"Cognos is a solid tool"

What do you like best?

It has the ability to capture and report financial data so that we can answer the business' questions. The tool is intuitive, which is helpful for newer users.

What do you dislike?

Takes time to set up the database but is awesome after going live.

Flexibility and speed of reporting

IBM Cognos Controller review by User in Financial Services

"Latency issues are very common."

What do you like best?

I think the user interface is very user friendly and easy to navigate.

What do you dislike?

The system is very slow, latency problems are very common.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend using Cognos just be aware of the system latency issues.

The ability to identify the true identity of transactions.

IBM Cognos Controller review by User in Accounting
User in Accounting

"Best software for creating management reports"

What do you like best?

The software let’s you create financial and management reports, and provide the CFO with an enterprise view of key ratios and metrics.

What do you dislike?

Overall there is not much to dislike about the software

It is flexible and easy to implement financial models to support the business.

IBM Cognos Controller review by User in Financial Services

"Can be a bit more user friendly "

What do you like best?

The data process ability. I can easily slice and dice and get the most valuable information I like to get

What do you dislike?

User interface , not very intuitive in terms of navigating the settings controls etc.

Consolidated risk positions

View Original

"Great when working properly"

What do you like best?

Extremely easy to pull reports and data, makes financial close simple and efficient

What do you dislike?

Periods where it is unusable with no help from IBM teams

Great tool for storing and reporting on compensation data

IBM Cognos Controller review by User in Financial Services

"Associate in Product Control"

What do you like best?

User experience was seamless, just sometimes takes a while to load

What do you dislike?

Promoting you to log in a lot; times out wuicjly

Accounting and finance for commodities business; understanding root cause analysis

IBM Cognos Controller review by Agency in Financial Services
Agency in Financial Services

"B"

What do you like best?

The ability to pull data and reports without a tech background

What do you dislike?

There is nothing i don’t teuly diLike. Perhaps making it easier to understand during first use

Solving inaccurate reporting

IBM Cognos Controller review by User in Financial Services

"Top quality controller from IBM"

What do you like best?

It’s incredibly easy to work with and it’s user friendly

What do you dislike?

It could be lighter, I feel there a re a lot of feature many don’t use

Logistics

Learning about IBM Cognos Controller?

* We monitor all IBM Cognos Controller reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.