iStock Reviews & Product Details

iStock Overview

What is iStock?

Getty Images is one of the most trusted and esteemed sources of visual content in the world, with over 405 million assets including photos, videos, and music. The Getty Images website serves creative, business and media customers in nearly every country in the world and is the first-place people turn to discover, purchase and share powerful visual content from the world’s best photographers and videographers. Getty Images works with over 330,000 contributors and hundreds of image partners to provide comprehensive coverage of more than 160,000 news, sport and entertainment events each year, impactful creative imagery to communicate any commercial concept and the world’s deepest digital archive of historic photography.

iStock Details
Discussions
iStock Community
Czech, Danish, German, Greek, English, French, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Chinese (Simplified)

iStock provides stock photos and imagery collections for advertising and graphic design as well as print and online publishing.

Getty Images
1995
Seattle,WA
@GettyImages
1,027,847 Twitter followers
4,740 employees on LinkedIn®
Answer a few questions to help the iStock community
Have you used iStock before?

iStock Reviews

Showing 74 iStock reviews
Already have iStock?
Senior Designer
UG
What do you like best?

Firstly, full disclosure - I am using Getty because my client, a tech startup, has a subscription for it. That being said, the sheer variety of image offerings is great, and the photos are high quality photos. It's not hard to find photos which convey the right feel for the designs I do for my client. I do also download vectors from getty as well, and the offerings there are also pretty robust and many work well for my designs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If my client did not have a subscription for getty, I would probably not be using it because, as a freelancer, it is too pricey for me. istockphoto works better for my budget, and has many similar photos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As one-off images can be pretty pricey, consider looking into the subscription model with Getty. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to always find what I need. Benefit is obviously the subscription based model which makes it easy for me to get approval for image purchase from the client. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freelance Graphic Designer
What do you like best?

What I like best it's easy to find and a wide range of selections to choose from. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

What I like the least is a variety of old style pic and brands. I have 105 year old grandmother and trying to find pic that depict her ethnicity of Black, African and Indian , I had to search a little harder. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Problems I'm solving with Getty Images is having a one stop shop at my fingertips for Zoom, Google Docs, WhatsApp and Messenger meetings. I've realized the images are sharp, royalty free and pairs well with technical devices for seminars, presentations and speaking engagements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead Designer
What do you like best?

I would say that the quality of the photos are the best. They also seem to have photographers with the most access to exclusive events such as awards ceremonies or other private events. Searching for images through Getty Images is as simple as typing a few keywords and browsing through a results lists. There is extensive information about each photo, which is good for context and editorial purposes. We can download photos with a short sign up process. The quality of photos, in terms of resolution, are as high as it gets for typical media needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The prices are among the highest I've seen for standard stock image websites. Also, the ways we can use the photos are limited to certain uses. We can't modify all of the images or use them however we like. I think those are basically the only thing that stands out that can be conceived as negative about Getty Images. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If the relatively high cost of licensing images isn't that big of an issue, Getty Images can be one of the best sources for professional images. There are also some lower-priced stock photo sources you might want to check out that also have high quality photos. Just search Google for stock photos and you should find a bunch. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Getty Images gives us a quick and reliable way to acquire access to high quality photos that we can use in our business media, social media and a number of other visual content. Though the pricing can be expensive for some images, I think the cost often beats the cost of us going to the locations where some photos are taken and then being able to take professional quality photos with high end cameras and equipment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Video Editor
What do you like best?

Getty is fantastic for still image and footage searching. You can download comps easily from the search page without clicking on the media. Quality of media is fantastic. They give you options for quality as well! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Getty is my go-to source for images/footage. As of now there isn't anything I dislike! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Getty for branded content and commercial use as well as internal rip videos. They are fantastic to work with and make my batch searches easy with their easy-access tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CM
What do you like best?

Their association with Getty is a plus. They have a better selection of options than other non-Getty stock image sites that I've used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Thinkstock is still more limited than Getty itself. Sometimes I'll be able to search on Getty (which has better search capabilities) and then find the same image on this site, but often what I'm looking for just isn't available here. Also the overall quality of images (photo quality and composition, graphic design for vectors, etc.) just isn't as good as what I might find on Getty. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use stock images for graphic design for clients. Overall I'm able to find a satisfactory solution through Thinkstock, though I may have to make compromises. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder
What do you like best?

The breadth of photos that are available on the Getty Images site and the ability to share those images to friends on various social media platforms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Hard to sort photos and find the ones in categories that are relevant to me. Feels like there's a lack of customization to the user experience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to share powerful photos to complement messages on social media platforms. Sometimes visualizing a message is a powerful behavior change strategy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Public Relations Consultant
What do you like best?

iStock provides high quality photographs at very good prices. You can download a single image for as little as $12 - compare that to most stock photo sites that charge around $50. Or you can subscribe and lower the price even more. On top of that, they have a huge selection of photos, videos, and vectors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's nothing to dislike really, unless you count having so many images to choose from that it takes a while to go through them and narrow down your choice. But that's hardly a negative. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need high quality photographs at a good price, you'll love iStock. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I know I will find exactly the right images at iStock. Regardless of what I'm creating - websites or email blasts or anything else - the photos I get here greatly improve the look of my work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

- Ease of use

- Organized content

- Low res download for comps Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

My company has an account. I think it would be too expensive for me if I was on-my-own to afford to purchase images Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are several stock photo companies out there, I recommend Getty for amazing content and ease of use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use there content for a few reasons: one is for specific images and art, another is for ideation Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr. Content Writer/Team Lead/Social Media Lead
What do you like best?

So many great hi rez images for anything you can think of or search for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The price. Very expensive. There are cheaper options, but the selection will be very limited. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider what kind of images you want and their quality matched with what you are willing to pay. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Great imagery for websites and blog articles. They really help both stand out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Content Producer
What do you like best?

The gigantic collection of photos, graphics, video and music is what I like best about iStock. They also offer reasonable pricing when compared to many other top stock websites. Getty Images, for example, can charge around ten times more for similar images. Navigating through the iStock is also easy with a simple search field along with advanced search options, categories and filters. I think iStock is relatively selective when it comes to the media that they accept, which is good since I don't run into many bad photos that I have to scroll by. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Since the media collection in iStock is so enormous, it can take a long time to find just the right image. For songs we use a background music, that can take substantially longer since we have to listen to a few seconds of the songs to adequately preview it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

iStock can be a valuable resource for obtaining quality stock media. Rather than focusing too much time on making your own material that may be of lower quality than stock material, you can save time and money by starting with stock media and editing them down to suit your project needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We download high resolution photos and other media from iStock that is used in many different marketing materials we have. iStock dramatically lessens our need to go out a take photos, videos and music on our own. We can get professional level content for a fraction of the cost we'd pay to create them or licensing them from other similar websites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UT
What do you like best?

It's helpful to our team that we have graphics, photos and video content to use for our projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There could be more transportation-focused content and a more diverse collection of people in the photos/videos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Master the art of using keywords to maximize your result options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No problems. I just wish there were more industry-focused content opportunities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Director
What do you like best?

Getty Images is probably one of the more professional stock image companies. So I feel when we licensed images from them, we are getting some of the absolutely best images available. When I do to search the Getty Images website, there are countless photos for us to select from. We can use images for many different purposes. For blog posts, when we want to use photos of certain recent events, Getty Images is the company that is most likely to have images available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The prices are certainly an aspect of Getty Images that stands out as something negative. Compared to many newer stock media websites out there now, Getty Images is probably among the highest-priced services I've seen. There are also more conditions attached to the licenses. We can't just use them for an unlimited time for any purpose. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are many stock image websites that have lower prices, so if you don't have a need for images in critical media or placements in your website, you should probably take a look at those websites, like iStock before going with Getty. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When we want to find more unique images that are less likely to be found at multiple stock image websites, we can go to Getty Images to license our images. We use stock images from Getty Images for website design and to post in blog posts similar to news articles. The search features in Getty Images make it easy for us to find images based on keywords, so we can be more efficient about our time when considering new photos to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Admin. Asst.
What do you like best?

Getty images is the premier stock photo site. They have the most incredible and high quality images that you can find. The price reflects this, but well worth the money that you'll spend for the look. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish that they also offered a different pricing plans. They could offer fewer choices, but still quality stock photos for a lower priced plan. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

High priced, but worth every penny. You'll be glad that you spent a little more when you see what your end project looks like if you use Getty Images as opposed to the lower priced stock photo sites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When I need to design a top quality website or promotional materials, this is my go to site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UA
What do you like best?

The tagging and search is good, and the similar images & series. There’s a lot of choice and always an image that works even though it can take time to find a relevant one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It’s not cheap and there’s a lot of random images that some times take some shifting through to get what you want. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Good and simple image library for our website and marketing collateral Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graphic Design Consultant and Illustrator
What do you like best?

There's an absolutely mind blowing amount of high quality images available in Getty Images stock portfolio. And all of the images are carefully categorized and sorted in a way that makes finding exactly what you are looking for so incredibly simple. I've used other stock image providers in my time as a graphic designer but always find myself returning to Getty Images. They are simply the best in the business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There's really not much to dislike about Getty Images. They are priced competitively, sure there's cheaper options but only from shady stock sites where you have to worry about someone claiming the image later down the road. The small price difference is worth the peace of mind. Besides you will never see the quality and selection at other sites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is the leading name in the industry. Don't waste your time with other image providers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Working as a graphic designer Getty Images saves me so much time. I'm always happy to be able to quickly find what I'm looking for and finish the job on schedule. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder
Construction
What do you like best?

The stock photos on iStock are professional and add a lovely touch to our posts. They have a lot to choose from and we always find the exact image we need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not like subscription based platforms. I would much rather just pay for an image or two here and there. The last time we used iStock we have to pay $40 for a memebership. I think we only downloaded 1 photo during that 1 month since that was all that we needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Recommend getting together a list of photos that you will be needing in the next 3-6 months. Add the subscription and then choose all photos at once to get the most out of the subscription. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We add them to posts and it saves us the time of creating and editing photos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IF
What do you like best?

The fact that the images are all tagged makes it really easy to find what you are looking for. Really easy to use and always find the right image we are looking for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It’s not cheap and you can’t pay per image Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for it if you have budget to spare - really quick and useful Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lack of an image library - thing allows us to find images to add to presentation easily Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Student
What do you like best?

In general, the site works well and the selection is great. IStock has single handedly both improved the life of designers but also turned a generation of designers into professional creative montage makers rather than designers. Pay-as-you-go option is great, there are wide variety of stock images and over 8 million are exclusive to iStock. Images, video, audio, illustration and vector files available Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The pricing of the subscriptions and images is not equivalent to the product you will get. Credits are overpriced as well, review times for submissions can be long. Low commission for contributors. Other stock image services have a better selection for use with high quality print media Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Wide variety of stock images and over 8 million are exclusive to iStock. All file sizes for the same price Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Been around since 2000 & One of the most used stock photo sites in the industry, selling a large number of images daily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Communications and Content Strategist
What do you like best?

They have one of the largest libraries of stock images. They even offer a feature where you can tell them what kind image/footage you are needing and they will go and shoot it for you and give you exclusive image rights so that no one else can use it. They have everything from images and videos to audio and graphic illustrations all searchable and filterable through their easy to use website! The filters can be pretty specific and help you narrow down to exactly what you are needing! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is a bit pricy especially for news or event related media. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need stock media, this is the place to go! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use this for promotional pieces and for a lot of design pieces/work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

iStock offers an easy, cost-effective way for our small indy publication to access and utilize quality stock images. The images are not only a good value for the price, they are far better than we would be able to produce on our own at a much higher price point. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have not found anything I dislike while using iStock. It's a quality product at an affordable price. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great way to access high quality digital images at a very affordable price Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We do not have the resources to produce high-quality original digital photography on our own. iStock allows us an easy, affordable way to overcome that challenge. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It’s great - quick and easy and it’s really easy to find images via tags. There’s always something relevant Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot - it’s great and works really well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for it if you are looking for simple and easy to use software- way better than any others I’ve used! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lack of images and videos internally for marketing content Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IT
What do you like best?

So so so so much choice! Everything you can think of and more. It also has great tagging so you can find images quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It costs a lot and you can very quickly run out of credit so you end up spending loads. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It’s great to have on hand when you can’t or don’t have the photos you need! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows us to find and use images quickly! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Business Administrator
What do you like best?

I like that there are SO MANY images when I search for virtually any term. Images pop up in various price ranges and resolutions and such. I was actually able to print huge canvas photos to put on the walls of our church and large scale banners outdoors because the images were of such high quality that they could be scaled to that 8'x8' size without becoming too grainy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can sometimes pull up a lot of irrelevant images that I have to sift through. The images are expensive enough that I have stopped using this service as of last year. I have opted to use services that offer inexpensive subscription plans. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look around, because often you can find what you need elsewhere for a better price. Or you can subscribe to an unlimited package much cheaper than using individual images you pay for. I have found that using a clearinghouse or something like that is more cost effective since we are a church and do not have a huge budget to work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

For our church videos, slideshows, backgrounds, etc., Getty Images is one source we use to get high quality images. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Customer Service Representative
Hospital & Health Care
What do you like best?

I like that because they are the largest stock photo marketplace you are more than likely able to find that perfect image that you weren't able to find on other stock photo marketplaces.Because its the largest marketplace this is were most customers will be so selling photo's is also a plus for any photographer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would really like to see a higher percentage on photos, especially if you are selling a large amount and you know your images are popular with the site. I feel that doing all the work and providing the image to the company they should offer a higher percentage for photographers who bring in more customers or sales. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your a new photographer and looking to share your photos to see how well your expertise are, this site is appropriate for you. By sharing your love for photographer and also sharing your beautiful photo's you will make a small commission. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Since discovering and using Getty Images, I have been able to reach out to a lot more customers who are looking for the type of images that I have to offer. I have grown my portfolio and was able to land some wonderful opportunities just by sharing my images on Getty. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.