screenflow Reviews & Product Details

screenflow Overview

What is screenflow?

With ScreenFlow you can record any part of your screen or the entire monitor while also capturing your video camera, iOS device, microphone or multi-channel audio device, and your computer’s audio. The easy-to-use editing interface lets you creatively edit your video. When you are done, use the built-in sharing to publish your video directly to YouTube, Vimeo, Wistia, Facebook, Google Drive, Dropbox or to Telestream Cloud for transcoding. Or export an animated .GIF, ProRes file or .MP4 directly to your desktop.

screenflow Details
German, English, French, Japanese

Screen recording and editing software for Mac

Telestream, LLC

Showing 44 screenflow reviews
Already have screenflow?
Customer Success Manager
Owner / Designer / Writer
What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to learn how to use Screenflow. It didn't take me long to accomplish the handful of tasks I was looking to accomplish. You can also set templates for things you reuse on a regular basis, which makes video editing faster. I also love that you can export your work as an animated gif, which is often a better method of displaying it to the end user.

They have just enough features to put together professional looking videos, but not SO many that you get overwhelmed. I wouldn't recommend it for 2-hour long, feature-length, cinematic movies for the big screen... but that's not what it was designed for.

For creating educational videos, it's the perfect blend of professional features with ease-of-use.

It's also very affordable, and they host frequent webinars, as well as post many video tutorials on their site. These are wonderfully done and really help learn the new features... and some existing ones you didn't know existed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It'd be great if it was available for other operating systems besides Mac. I'm sure this is a huge undertaking to develop a cross-platform app, but it has really locked me into buying a new Macbook instead of consider other options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I provide support for software I sell, and when people have questions, I often record a video showing them how to solve their issues. They love this over typical written responses.

I also use it to produce video tutorials and create video for online courses I sell. It's a wonderful tool for this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in screenflow
What do you like best?

Screenflow is more than just a screen recording utility: it effortlessly incorporates audio and video media which you drop onto the editor; working with the timeline is very intuitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to recommend this to all my friends, but the pricing discourages many. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure the sound levels are sufficient, they cannot be widely adjusted within Screenflow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I combine video and audio from my online lectures with additional instructional material, to obtain a professionally looking end product with little effort. A small technical issue: I cannot adjust the sound levels over a sufficiently broad range, need a separate audio editor for that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Marketing
What do you like best?

Screenflow is the easiest video editor I've ever used. Initially, I only used it to capture screen recordings and publish videos of software demonstrations/training. But I eventually began using it for creating any video shorts--even those that used my computer camera.

The timeline is simple to understand. Editing is very easy. And it processes pretty fast. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't anything I dislike about Screenflow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to make software training videos or explainer videos (where you record your screen as you go through a PowerPoint or Keynote), this is a great software to have. It records your audio, your screen, and can also record from your computer camera (to capture a face shot). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I create marketing explainer videos for my work, software training videos for my work, and I also create video explanations for my friends and family (e.g. "how to play the piano").

Basically, I create animated slides in Keynote and then I record my screen as I go through the slide show. I also record my screen as I go through a software demonstration and either take a small snippet and turn it into a GIF or publish the video directly to Vimeo so I can share the video with others. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

the ease to use, edit, and learn screenflow is ridiculously simple Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

having to upload / export to use the videos is a real pain Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use screenflow for training enablement and for marketing purposes Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graphic Designer
Graphic Design
What do you like best?

Quick to learn, especially if familiar with basic video apps like iMovie! I have been worried about expanding into video production, and the video expert at work recommended Screenflow. He said, "within 30 minutes, you'll be familiar enough with the interface to start creating stuff." He was right! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Video Actions are very helpful, but when, say, scrolling an image, editing the action can affect both the start and end point. Might be user error on my part, but I'm unable to adjust placement of scrolling images without Screenflow "helping." Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It helps to know timeline basics, so make sure you are already familiar with interfaces like iMovie or similar (or even if you've used AfterEffects/Premiere/FinalCut). Screenflow handles high-resolution easily, and HandBrake is a great additional app for converting .mov to .mp4. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have been able to get up to speed on Screenflow quickly, which has allowed me to create nifty video assets for my company's digital signage (BrightSign platform). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It makes it easy to record training materials, instruction videos for clients and team members, as well as troubleshooting videos for customer support when I have an issue with software etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be pricey to upgrade when a new version comes out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have team members overseas and it makes it a lot easier to communicate with them when we need to show them changes we need on a design etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Marketing Officer
What do you like best?

I used to use iMovie, that was included in my Mac. After some tutorials on video making I found this application. From the first moment it was very fast and easy to use. No 12 hours video loading time until you can start working like in iMovie. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Maybe there should still be more extra advance features. But I still haven't used the app at his 100%. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its a very good application to start of intermediate PC users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Small demo/tutorial videos. The good thing you can load videos and start working right a way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Production and Content Director
E-Learning
What do you like best?

It has to be the built-in editor and all the functionalities and cool features it has... there is so much you can do to your video after recording it... you wont imagine! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It works only on Mac... for now! Since we have several editing stations, on those that are Mac we use it.... But on all the PC´s we have to use other (not as good) programs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get it Get it Get it!!! Pay whatever you have to pay because this is one of those tools that once you start using them, you never stop! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We can record the screen and create awesome trainning or educational videos in a fraction of the time... For example, we can make great looking animations on Keynote o PowerPoint, run them while we record the screen, and voila... you got yourself a great animation video Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Blogger
Writing and Editing
What do you like best?

I've been using ScreenFlow for about eight years now, and it is help me to produce tutorial videos and online courses. What is most useful about ScreenFlow is that it records your desktop screen, and then in the editor you can easily crop in what you want to show in your video. In recent years ScreenFlow has added very useful features, including editing templates, the ability to add custom shortcuts for nearly all its features, and faster exporting features. ScreenFlow also includes features for managing video including, including the ability to group related clippings together, as well as as remove clippings that you don't use in your project. I also like how you can easily add annotations to video productions. ScreenFlow has greatly improved over the years, and I suspect it will only get better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Wish ScreenFlow included a way to start over a recording without having start a new recording. It would also be nice to have a script editor in the application that enabled you to create and record a script and then add the video to correspond with the script. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

ScreenFlow does a have a high learning curve, but it's not impossible to learn. There are sever tutorials on the ScreenFlow website, as well as YouTube. The more videos you record and produce, the more you will learn how to use the program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use ScreenFlow to help me produce online video courses, as well as export productions to my YouTube channel. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technical Writer (Software)
What do you like best?

I use Screencast since 2016 and found it easy to use. I have never make videos before and I learned how to use it in few days (at least for the basic functions) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Screenflow is only avalaible for Mac so I' m not able to do screencasts on Linux or Windows workstations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Screenflow is a great software id you need to creat few videos if you are not a professionnal. You can esaily learn how to use it and have a professionnal export. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I make HowTo videos for ou customers. They are then published on Youtube an automatically available in a lot of languages. It helps our Support team for basic questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Cofounder - Clear Choice Test Prep
E-Learning
What do you like best?

I appreciate that they've kept their program simple at the surface level. For users who don't need to dive any deeper, they can do everything they need without a harsh learning curve. That's a big deal. I don't have time to become an expert on new software that I'm not going to use every day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If you're a perfectionist then you may notice that it's difficult to get your transitions and cuts as clean as what you've seen in the movies and on TV. For a while I accidentally exported GIANT files of each video I shot. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it out. You should be able to get the hang of it pretty quickly. The interfaces take some getting used to, but you'll find that you can get a lot done without much time commitment in terms of learning how to use features outside of the basics. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have used Screenflow to produce promotional content, edit educational videos, and create all our training resources. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to record video and sound, editing and exporting the videos. It is inexpensive and provides a lot of value to our company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything I dislike. I would like more options for the callouts with different types or arrows and shapes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its a great product, easy to implement and start using the same day! great for all kinds of screen recordings and videos. editing software is very user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use it to create how-to videos for clients and internally for new hires and new product launches on how the system works. We have found that using the software we can create quick videos on any material. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

Screenflow is not just about recording screencasts. It can become your multi-purpose video editor. While it is not nearly as powerful as other tools out there, the barrier of entry is so low that almost anyone could learn how to use Screenflow in less than 2 days of concentrated use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that Screenflow came with more pre-built in effects. This would allow for one to use Screenflow for their Youtube channel and Let's Plays more often.

Professionally, Screenflow has been amazing. I have produced full operating procedures for our digital marketing company, tutorials for clients, and even high-end productivity videos that are watched by thousands of paying customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Add more built-in effects. This would fit your niche of being easy to use but would push the cap on advanced one could get with Screenflow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows us to knock out standard operating procedure training easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Marketing Technology Consultant
What do you like best?

Screenflow is easy to use and offers a lot of functionality at a low price. Not only can you record your screen and/or webcam, Screenflow is also a full-function video editor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a little bit of a learning curve, especially if you are looking to add text or other effect to your videos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to go through the tutorials to unleash the power of Screenflow. There are a number of useful tutorials on YouTube of those actually using the software that can show you some useful tips and tricks. Much better than free or other low cost alternatives. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Screenflow allows you to quickly create and edit screen capture video tutorials with professional results. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
Internet
What do you like best?

It’s a complete app, allowing for editing clips, sounds, voice, effects. I sometimes use it for even regular video editing where I want to go quick and good. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. Seriously, for my needs, nothing missing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get a good quality microphone and you’re golden. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Screenflow to create educational videos, usually for onlone courses on usin the web for your business.. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Head Instructor
E-Learning
What do you like best?

It's an amazing combination of power, features, and user-friendliness all in one. A novice can create a professional-quality screencast with a very short learning curve. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are just a few things that iMovie does better, like speed control and transitions. These things are secondary to the screencasting experience, so it's a minor quibble. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Spend a bit of time on training -- a little YouTubing will go a very long way! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows me to create professional screencasts. Even though I'm one person I can create something that's polished enough to look professional. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Product Marketing Manager
What do you like best?

The ease of use and intelligent UI is fantastic. I've been able to import .png graphics and overlay with cropped video with ease. Anytime I think, "I wonder if I can do that?" I click around and usually find a way to do what I'm looking for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have not used the media library a lot, because it has been so easy to drag and drop clips from my own folder arrangements in my Finder. I will say that on VERY rare occasions I am prohibited from saving a project due to a missing clip (audio clip usually). Even after I locate the audio clip and add it to my the media browser in the tool, it has still prohibited me from saving. I mostly am to blame for this I'm sure and have been very careful to not move files once a project has been started, henceforth. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fantastic buy for the video editor who wants to make short business related videos! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm using ScreenFlow to make animated event decks that we show throughout the year, to product release videos that we promote across the web, to short films that we use as social media teasers or movie openers to our keynote speakers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to edit screen captures. When I started using this software, I didn't have any prior experience with video editing. Screenflow is so easy to learn how to use! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I honestly can't think of anything I really dislike about it. I wish I could use MP4 files in Screenflow but I understand why I can't. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for an easy to learn software for screen captures, Screenflow is the best there is. I highly recommend it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I create all of our video help content for customers with ScreenFlow. I love how easy it is to go back and edit videos when features change or new features come out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Client Success
Internet
What do you like best?

Screenflow has everything that you need to build awesome media. They have tons of features and allow you to build very eccentric pieces of media with all the layers you need. The learning curve is a bit high with everything you can do, but there are a lot of things on YouTube you can watch to learn, they have a huge community of people who do tutorials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Takes a bit of time to learn. The resources online are not very good and would be ideal to have a type of 'master class' that is done to show you how to do this (Think like a new age 'Bob Ross'). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It will take some time to work through and see if it works for you depending on what features you need. You can use their free version to test it all out, but any exported media will be watermarked unless you purchase the full version. I would say it could take a couple weeks or a month (depending on your daily usage) to see if it fits your needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Screenflow for a lot of our resources in making animated tutorials and videos for customers. We also use it for some marketing materials and recording demos or other promotional materials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It's simplicity and easy of use makes it perfect for beginners that are tired of iMovie and want to take a step further. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you want to use titles and transitions that are not available in the tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We've been able to create professional videos to promote our products with little effort. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UA
What do you like best?

Ease of use of program.

Its very easy to record.

While I think you do need to do an online course in order to learn how all the editing tools work, once you have done so its quite easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Can't say I dislike anything about the software.

Does have a bit of a learning curve. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Best video recording and editing software for the Mac. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use it to create sales videos as well as training videos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

Love how easy it is to launch a screen recording with a simple key combination. Used very frequently when creating our training videos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are export issues or issues with the screens on mobile devices not recording. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Training resources and materials are of a much higher quality. It’s quick and easy to produce solid training videos and walkthroughs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Training Manager
What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to use. It's a great tool that has a ton of options without being impossible to learn. It's also very affordable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I HATE that it's only on Mac. I wish that it was on PC as well. None of the PC platforms I've seen compare in terms of value and usability. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a fantastic software that is a bargain price wise for what you get. They also have a free version you can try out before purchasing a license. The paid version allows you to upload videos directly to YouTube, Vimeo, and other hosting sites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We make instructional videos for both employees and customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The fact that you can record the screen, windows, and audio separately is very useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It does lack some editing features and color representation can get messed up sometimes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use it to record screen demos constantly and it makes it much easier than using quicktime. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for screenflow?