Lingvist Reviews & Product Details

Lingvist Overview

What is Lingvist?

Our app personalizes the learning experience for you, adapting to how your memory works best, bringing up the words you need at the right time so it is more likely to stay in your long-term memory. Try it today and learn French, Spanish, German, Russian, and English – fast. - Adapts to your level in real time - Learn the most relevant and practical vocabulary (5,000+ words) - Real-world contexts in sentences created by language specialists - Context-aware grammar hints and exercises - Native-sounding virtual voice (Unlimited only) - Speech recognition for hands-free learning - Track and measure your progress - Cosmos – dark mode!

Lingvist Details
German, English, French, Russian, Spanish

Lingvist is a language learning platform that provides courses that teach words in their order of relevance, i.e. based on how often they’re actually used in a given language, in order to decrease the time required to learn a new language.

Lingvist Inc
2013
Tallinn, Estonia
@TheLingvist
26 Twitter followers
Description

Answer a few questions to help the Lingvist community
Have you used Lingvist before?

Lingvist Reviews

Showing 24 Lingvist reviews
Already have Lingvist?
Senior Associate Consultant
What do you like best?

I am using this app to learn the basics of Spanish words and sentences. It provides a huge catalog of texts in its app for me to read and learn.

It has a smooth mouse roll over support and I can easily hover a word and see its translation immediately which I liked the most about it.

Also I have noticed that I can rewind the audio part for about 5-10 seconds any number of times to repeatedly listen to previous sentence back to back till I am satisfied with myself that I have learnt it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Since it offers limited number of languages, I would like to see more languages to come up such as German. Also I feel that the mobile app is not as much effective as the desktop version and can crash in between the course learning. This is a major drawback in their mobile app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to learn French, Russian or Spanish within a quick time, then surely Lingvist is the perfect app for you as it is free to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can definitely feel that the graphical user interface has been designed very effectively with lots of research being done and comes out to be pretty useful and simple to find out all the available features on the single screen.

Also it has very effective features for learning purpose such as the samples for listening to audio, various quizzes to memorize the phrases quickly, lots of study material to read and lives upto its confidence that one can learn the language in around 200 hours. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Testing Engineer
What do you like best?

The best thing I liked about Lingvist was the sequence in which the words could be learnt. It starts with the most common words used in French which helped me to remember those words first as they were used in most of the sentences.

I used the flashcards which had one of the words missing from the sentence and as soon as I provided the correct word there, the complete sentence was shown and I could memorize correct pronunciation easily. When I get the wrong word in place, it will remember it and keep on showing unless and until I would get it right for up to 5 times.

I found the dashboard to be very appealing and maintains the track of words which I already learnt. There is also an option for sorting down the words from the sections such as How many times practiced and Last time practiced. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While listening to the audio, there is no option for slowing down the speed of the audio. It will be at its own pace always. I want this to be added in the app for slow learners like me to listen the audio at a lower speed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to learn French basics and sentence formation, then definitely Lingvist will help you to do so. It is absolutely free to join the app and learn French. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I had to learn French when I joined my Company as it had data in French as well as English. So, I used Lingvist to learn it quickly and within a span of 3 months, I got a very good understanding of French language in terms of written communication.

The best thing is that I didn’t got bored while learning French because of nice to use features which are very interesting and helps to learn at a fast pace. I spent around 30-40 minutes daily on it and it showed positive quick results. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Public Relations Manager
Insurance
What do you like best?

This app is designed extremely well. I get on for what feels like 15 minutes to get lost for hours learning new words and phrases. If you have the patience and desire to learn this program is all you will need. The Listen feature is my favorite since the words are spoken by real people versus a computer, making it much easier to understand and learn. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish it was less self regulated, and more based on memorization. I find it hard to keep interested when I am doing the reading portion, I would prefer to memorize the terms prior to reading them as sentences and paragraphs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They promise to teach you french "in 200 hours" although I can't say that is necessarily true, this program will help your ability to communicate through french greatly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Learning French to work better with my french-speaking clients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Lingvist claims that you can learn a language in 200 hours for free. I really like that they offer free course and their course content is awesome for a free course. They offer very interactive word memorizing part I even started to memorize a few French words just in 10 minutes. In read part, their design is so great, if you ciick twice any sentence, you can see the english translation of the sentence and listen it in french! It is very innovative and very effective way to learn I think. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dont think that you can learn a language in 200 hours even if you can, it seems that the site has not enough to improve your all of your skills like reading, writing or listening. I think more language selection would be much better! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For beginners Lingvist is great in order to improve yourself I recommend everyone who looking for some innovative way to learn language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have improved my basic French with this site. It really helps your vocabulary and listening skills which is fair enough just for beginning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Outreach Executive
What do you like best?

I love interactive learning and Lingvist provides great example of this. I am interested in learning languages but i do not have time to allocate for a local courses. There are a lot of online courses but doing interactive things like memorizing words by writing down them is great. Even if you do not know the word, system shows it 2 or 3 cards later until you learn it which is great way to make people move on. Also the reading and listening parts are pretty nice to improve yourself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if there were more language selections but i think they will add them in the future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Lingvist people who especially gets bored of non interactive learning language videos. Because they provide really great content in order to keep you go on and they really teaches you some French words with their pronounciation also. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I consider learning languages as a hobby so I am using Lingvist in my free times and it makes me feel relieved and learning new words are great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Planning&Coordination Specialist
Aviation & Aerospace
What do you like best?

Lingvist is one of the great source of learning language. I loved the memorize part which shows you most common words in french and it really teaches you until you memorize. There are card system in that part so if you even do not know anything about the French you can start learning some words even in minutes! There are also Read and Listen parts but in order to understand these I think you should know a bit more than a beginner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Read and Listen parts are kind of hard for beginners. It's really hard to understand every passage so you need to use dictionary everytime. It would be great if there were a dictionary attached near to the reading passages. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

They claim that you will learn the language in 200 hours. I did not spend that much time so I can not make comment about it but If you are interested in learning french in interactive and memorizing words you can try Lingvist because it is free and really memorizes you the important words Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am using it for completely develop my language skills. I love learning new words in different languages and practicing them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Server and Bartender
Hospitality
What do you like best?

I have used a variety of language-learning softwares and Lingvist is the only one to stick out to me. I am both a French and Medical major, and have lived in France for over 3 months. Since I have been able to use Lingvist to learn practical skills beyond grammar, such as read French jokes and listening to non-academic (boring) sources. This application does what others can't by offering both memorization based grammar and also more interesting culturally French elements like humor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is honestly little I dislike. The application is new and the user interface and response time could be polished slightly. Besides that I have found zero errors of the site while learning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Although I still am a student, I currently work in a hospital. Lingvist has helped improve my practical French and help those with poor English. It can also be used with immigrants who only speak Spanish, making it incredibly useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Researcher
What do you like best?

The adaption tools that change the pace of learning the language to match your level and skill, which is a great way to keep going at a pace that isn't far too advanced or far too easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Right now, the only language choice available is English to French or vice versa. New languages need to be added to make this more accessible to a larger range of people. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The Lingvist system really only helps reading and writing in French. It will not help speaking at all but it may help in listening. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Learning a different language is a way to be more connected world wide, which is a huge benefit. It is simply English and French at this time but as I was in the process of learning French anyway it is a valuable tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The overall design of the application is astonishing, I feel comfortably on the site. It's even pronouncing the words you're typing in for you, so that you can indeed perceive the language in all possible ways. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

A bad thing which comes to my mind regarding this service is that it does not support that many languages so far. It supports actually only French as of now. Hopefully it will get better with time! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't be afraid to try new things! Life is change, remember that! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm solving a problem of not getting a good enough idea for a good business to start. What have I realized? I have realized that it does not matter at all if a similar service has been running for years on the net already, I can always come and conquer the market with something more catchy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Tutor
Health, Wellness and Fitness
What do you like best?

I have used several applications to attempt to learn Hindi, and Lingvist is one of my favourites. The design is simple and intuitive, and it aims to teach languages using a variety of techniques, which ensures that every learning style is accommodated. For example, I enjoy using the Memorize and Read features as I am a very visual person. I also learn by repetition and the application uses repetition to encourage the language and important words to stick in learners' heads. The audio feature is a great way for people to learn as well, but this wasn't as important to me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to find a fault with this application. If anything, I would say adding a "game" or "fun" aspect like some other applications would encourage more frequent use by certain types of users. For example, having "matching" games or fun charts to track progress might encourage me to sign in more often or try to meet goals quicker. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would consider Lingvist if you are trying to learn another language and looking for a software that caters specifically to your needs (i.e. visual learner, audio learner). If you are looking for an app that turns learning into a "game", perhaps look elsewhere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

For me, this application has been helping me learn a language which will be valuable in my everyday life (communicating with my family, patients, etc.) The features that cater to my learning style are a huge benefit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Student
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Lingvist is the only website which helped me to learn French language in shortest time and effectively. It includes many audio's for each and every word which help in proper pronounciation of words. Android app is damn good with less mega bytes with same features of a website which is handy tool for fast accessing. User interface wonderfull which makes users to use it very friendly and makes intresting as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Levels like magoosh app is not found much here which makes user more challenggin and makes learning process a game. Rest everythign is best in tutoring languages with more languages in stock and in less time as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Anyone intrested in learning new languages effectively that too in a short time can use this which includes both website and app. Increasing vocabulary is also an advantage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Fun with learnign new languages which increase my language database is my hobbie for which i preferred books which made me unsatisfied with less vocabulary and was forgettable. Next i used Lingvist website and app both which tracked me in right direction. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

I really like the interface of the product. I found it incredibly easy and fun to use. It greatly approved my French. It also forced me to practice fairly often, and I think with learning a language the frequency of practice is integral to success. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There wasn't much I disliked! I think I didn't become absolutely fluent in French because I wasn't immersed in a French speaking country, but that wasn't the app's fault. I thought some of the words were a bit advanced. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

100% use it!!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The main issue I was solving was my lack of speaking French. I learned that if I practice a little every day, I'll greatly improve my French! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like to learn new languages. It' cumulative learning! given the fact that it has been designed by using new algorithms developed by CERN and Skype engineers, all backed with funding from the EU and others. Since only Beta version is released you can only learn French as of now. Although the software promises you to teach a language in 200 hours, I felt real time conversation is necessary to get strong hold on the language.

The added advantage is the fact that it uses a different approach than the majority of learning applications.It puts its focus on the statistical importance of words to improve how you learn a language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I liked the software a lot but certain glitches do exist. The keyboard input takes a moment longer to respond, and once I had to start from the first lesson because the progress was lost (which took me almost a week to recover from mental agony and frustration).

Since it's still in Beta version, you can only learn English or French. Well I hope they put it online as soon as possible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I strongly recommend using this along with other study materials. If you want to learn French or English, this is the one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am using it for personal learning program. I am doing an independent research on how language learning platforms affect our learning capabilities. I must say Lingvist has given me new insights. Thanks to the scientists behind this enormous project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Can learn many languages in a single platform. It has good vocabulary and even we can learn how to pronounce also. I have learnt french with help of Lingvist. The main advantage of this is it has mobile app so that we can learn whenever we want and can even communicate with others even if we don't know there language.And it even shows you how much you learnt the language ( graphs) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

User interface is not so good. Some times the mobile app get crashed. As i'm from India it is hard for us to follow British or US accent, they should provide accent of all countries. They should include more languages. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want learn any new language in very short time then use Lingvist , its very useful and can learn the language quickly as it has well organized teaching method. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

i had gone to France , for communicating with people over there i needed to learn french. So i used Lingvist app, which was very useful in learning french and even if i didn't know the meaning about what they are speaking i could easily search in Lingvist as they have mobile application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Student
What do you like best?

Lingvist is a great platform to learn new languages. It provides a systematic ways to learn languages. It takes users progress level to calculate how fast the learner is, and provides the proper speed for learning. The android apps are great, learning through android app makes even simpler. The interface is nice, it is user friendly and easy to understand. The quize taking technique is great. There are many languages available to learn. We can track our progress through the dashboard. The audio helps in learning good pronunciation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes we feel like we are learning slowly if we already know a little bit of language. More languages can be added. Many other methods can be included like video chatting, some conversation technique or chatting to get interest in app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For those who want to learn new language her is one platform. You will love this app, it is really interesting go for this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The Langvist helps in learning languages quickly as possible. As a free user am learning French from past two months. I feel like I am learning very well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love learning new languages and Lingvist has helped me in learning French language. The app is very user friendly. I had really an amazing experience using lingvist. I am done with the course and I feel as though I know French to good extent. The app lets you know how much progress you have done in learning the new language. The way how the app increases the difficulty level is very smooth.

The app has simple but attractive graphics which makes learning interesting. The app is very adaptive and innovative and does not make the learning boring. New features gets updated often. The quizzes that they conduct are also very helpful in learning fast. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am from India and it is difficult for me understand both British and US accent. I need to put an extra effort in understanding the language. It would be great if they can provide an Indian version of the app.

Even if you already know basics of the language you still have to start learning from the beginning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you do not know anything about French language then I would suggest you to use lingvist. You will be acquainted with decent vocabulary, which is enough to start having conversations, at the end of the course. Just lingvist is not sufficient to become proficient. You need to converse with other people to become fluent in it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are designing search engine that gives top 10 websites. When we take feedback, some people write in other languages. And sometimes contents needs to designed to suit other language people. In these context lingvest was helpful Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chartered Accountant
Management Consulting
What do you like best?

I really like the Lingvist app because I always like to learn and explore some of the world’s most spoken languages and French is one of them. The dashboard feature allows you to view all your progress.

When I am using the app to learn French, it automatically highlights the number of words in terms of percentage which I know for every text of line making the selection process more easy and smooth. It is nothing but the text selection which you can read and find your familiarity with the language already.

It offered me to listen conversations in French which is a nice to have feature in this app. Here also the percentage is shown to track the progress of your understanding of the language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Everything is fine except that the app doesn’t have any levels for learning French. Even if you have certain amount of knowledge/ understanding of the French language, you need to start from the beginners section only. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The app says you can learn it in 200 hours, but to have a strong command of the French language you need to use some other resources as well. Overall, it is a great app for learning French and comes free of cost. So, strongly recommended for learning French. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Since I am a Chartered Accountant, I deal with lots of information/data in various languages. So, I thought of learning French and found that Lingvist was a good option for this as it makes you learn the common words, framing sentences and correct pronunciations of French language.

I made a quick progress in learning French. In no time, I got to know how to use Le, La and Les in the French language and I am quite good at it now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Area sales manager, Mahindra & Mahindra, Trucks and Bus division
Automotive
What do you like best?

This is an innovative app who enables us to learn French in a very short period of time. Also, it is an extremely effective app which has simple and noticeable outline, that energize user to learn more and more. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don’t have any dislike for this app, but it would be very helpful if there is also an option of making sentences after learning words. So that, people learns to make sentences also in French language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend it to those people who are willing to learn a new language in just few hours, as a try can be given to this app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am still learning French from this app, but it would be helpful for me in future when I have to deal with some clients/ customers.

In addition to this, in today’s time it is necessary to know more than one language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

The audio and repetition are what really stick out to me. It always helps to hear the correct pronunciation of a word in order for it to stick with you. Repetition is also key. Combine the 2 and you've got a great piece of software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No scoreboard of any kind to make learning a language more fun. More languages would also be amazing for this software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I 100% recommend this product to anyone who is wanting to break through the language barrier with your employees or customers. A MUST HAVE! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having a language barrier in the business environment can be extremely frustrating and detrimental to your business. This helps alleviate some of that awkward and helplessness some of us might feel. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

Heading out to France in the next year, Lingvist provides me a great solution to learning French in a quick time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Distracting visuals may be of concern when using the product since it draws away from the focus of the product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am learning French for a personal use, so I can be fluent by the time I head to France for study abroad. I have realized how great this product is because its more than any old method of learning languages using books and pictures. This product uses a focus on keywords that people use a lot, as well as an interactive process to learn faster. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I work in an area with a heavily Hispanic population and this tool is helping me learn Spanish! The listening exercises are extremely helpful to me because my weakness is spoken Spanish. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an online chat feature to ask questions on concepts that I am confused on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it, If you're trying to learn a language it provides various models of learning. The program also encourages you to not only memorize spanish but to understand it as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This program is helping us bridge the gap between various cultures/ Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UN
What do you like best?

The updates and encouragement / reminder emails are helpful. I also think the adaptiveness of the program is very good - makes it less boring. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I did not find the swiping / progress process to be natural - it took me time to adapt. I don't like that you need to click in the box to type all the time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to move at your own pace, Lingvist can be a great tool for learning French. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Trying to develop my French language skills. Have not achieved this yet, but I think Lingvist will help. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UT
What do you like best?

I love that it lives up to its statement of learning a new language within a certain amount of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish it would only take 1 hour to learn Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, now adays everyone should know mor ethan 1 language Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I want to be more bi-lingual for my customers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

Functionality, easy to use... Best what we tried Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not enough tools. Lack or personalization Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Timesaver Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.