Discovery Education Inc Reviews & Product Details

Discovery Education Inc Overview

What is Discovery Education Inc?

Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, and the largest professional learning community of its kind.

Discovery Education Inc Details

Discovery Education Inc
Charlotte, NC
@DiscoveryEd
Answer a few questions to help the Discovery Education Inc community
Have you used Discovery Education Inc before?

Discovery Education Inc Reviews

Showing 17 Discovery Education Inc reviews
Location
Already have Discovery Education Inc?
Teacher
What do you like best?

I like the ability to search multiple topics and find information to help my students learn about different topics. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there are topics with very few videos or little to no information at all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I enjoy using the content available to help teach topics to my students and make things more engaging or be able to present in a different way. It allows for students who learn through videos or by watching. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

teacher
What do you like best?

I love the Career videos - my students find them interesting Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It was tough getting our students imported this year Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Discovery Education is great to use with education! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Discovery Education has a new dashboard, and has revamped their site. It is much more user friendly Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I’m a teacher and I have utilized this program to show educational videos to my students! They are informative and highly engaging for my young learners. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the videos are very dated and it would be nice if more updated / new ones would be added. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I’m able to supplement my lessons with multimedia presentations through Discovery Education that aid in the learning process for my students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

Discovery Education offers a ton of science lesson plans, activities, and resources for elementary teachers. The content is standards-based and easy to integrate into any classroom. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately the national science standards used don't always match our Mississippi state standards, but there are still plenty of resources that can be adapted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Even if you don't use Discovery Ed as your main science curriculum, it provides a vast library of videos, images, activities, etc that can supplement any science framework. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Discovery Ed solves the problem of having to search the internet for science lesson plans since we don't use a science textbook at our school. The site is user friendly and offers a wide array of lessons and activities. It also has lots of good videos that are content-related. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

There is a ton of information. The videos are great. It allows you to set up boards much like Pinterest. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

At times there seemed to be too much information. A lot of it was not aligned to our state standards. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

There aren’t many science textbooks. This solves that problem and can be used anywhere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I like using Discovery Ed as a research tool for the students. I can find an assign videos for students to view as they take notes on topics we are learning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't know what I dislike about it. I like all of it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to use it as a virtual teaching tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the product helped with:

Finding content for my students that allowed for a different perspective on the material we are learning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Plenty of material on different material Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the videos are pretty dated. It doesn't seem as they should being from the 2000s but with it now 2018 a 2004 video is dated. Material wise and editing wise. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great resource. Just check date of material to make sure ideology hasn't changed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

They have a lot of education based videos that help the students understand different concepts Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

teacher
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

It helps me teach science. Most recently it helped me teach about the moon and about senses and the brain. It's engaging and visual. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love that it matches the content to standards for me. It's easier to find resources. My kids really enjoy the videos. They keep them engaged. I also like that many of the videos have guides to go along with them. It's helpful to keep the kids engaged, and it gives me a source of questions to ask them. It makes my life as a teacher easier. It's helpful to have videos that my district won't block and that I know are safe for my students to view. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Many of the videos are noticeably more than 20 years old (my students comment on the age of the videos). For science, this is problematic, as some of the information has been outdated. For example, there was a video about bionic body parts that was extremely behind on current technology. I had to go to another source to show my students more accurate information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look into it. It's a great resources. I really liked the techbook when we had access to it, but it was expensive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm able to engage students. Some concepts are much better taught via video than by an instructor. My students are able to rewatch the videos on their own outside of class or during class and are able to watch them if they are absent. It's easier to catch kids up when they've missed many days due to an illness. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

First grade teacher
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

This online tool is an excellent educational resource for both students and teachers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love the videos that are embedded into DE and I love the animation movies about different personalities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some videos are too short and I wish they were more detailed and informative. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend DE to educators and parents as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OP
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

Great resources for science instruction and student involvement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love the interactive labs and experiments that students can use. In those interactives they do a really good job graphing the student data based on the virtual experiment outcomes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes quality of videos is sub par and other videos need to be screened before watching for showing to a class. Board builders are also a little hard to utilize, especially for students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I have not personally ever had to have assistance using this program but I know others in the district have had success in getting help and questions answered. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the product helped with:

Discovery Education provides educational resources for my classroom on all subjects and learning levels. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that many educational resources are at my fingertips. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The program could be more user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Education Management
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

Discovery Education provides teacher and company made resources for use in the classroom. Students can learn from content videos as well as enjoy familiar picture books. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that their are videos geared towards all grade levels and covers many content areas. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more appropriate K-2 content videos. Many videos for K-2 are connected with other grade levels, which makes it inappropriate to show younger students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OP
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

Gives great resources to teachers to help students learn a vast amount of information about many topics. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

There are units paced based on the 5 E's model of science instruction. Resources are all linked as well as grade-level appropriate tasks and passages. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Board builders are a little hard to use for teachers and students alike, especially in elementary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Screen videos before showing to kids.Connects easily with Google Classroom. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

English Teacher
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

I am an English teacher and needed a good lesson to teach the background of "Of Mice and Men". Discovery Education had several great lessons about the 1930's and the Dust Bowl. I was able to find a worksheet and a video that was high interest. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The best part of this program is the plethora of activities and resources. In a classroom where differentiated instruction is important because you have so many different learning styles, it is important to have a variety of materials that engage all students. Some of the materials available include worksheets, lesson plans, videos, and graphs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have other subjects available, such as English Language Arts. As of now, materials are offered for Math, Science, Technology, and Social Studies. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Course Designer and Educator
E-Learning
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

My cyber school is using Discovery Education Inc as an OER (open education resource) in various courses. The site provides an easy way to search for various content with many filters including grade level, type of content, and academic subject. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love that Discovery Education Inc provides many different types of content- video, audio, picture, text, etc. The site is extremely user friendly. You can save content to your profile as well as organize any saved content into folders. This is extremely useful for teachers who teach multiple grade levels and/or subjects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some content is a bit outdated, especially in the subjects of the arts and humanities. In addition, I am unsure when new content is added in my area. I wish that there was an option to receive a notification when new content is available in a specific subject or grade. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Discovery Education Inc for the STEM subjects as there is a lot of various content. For the Arts and Humanities, there is a good amount of content but some is very outdated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

High School English Teacher
Education Management
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

I like using this website to supplement lessons - great videos to enhance what I'm teaching. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The videos are great. It's a nice go to when supplementing videos for lessons. I know that they will be school appropriate and geared for furthering education on the topic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not a fan of the reading assignments. There aren't usually questions to go along, so I end up having to create those. It would be nice if there were more reading assignments with canned questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Maybe ask teachers to help write up lesson plans/questions to go along with not only readings/passages but also videos so there is an accountability piece already worked into them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

2nd Grade Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education
Describe the project or task the product helped with:

Discovery Education is a great resource for learning! I use it for education reward videos as well as to supplement many of my daily lessons. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

My favorite feature of Discovery Education is the ability to download movies for use at a later time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike about the program is the cost. I wish it was more affordable for educators to purchase at a personal level instead of having to be a district subscription. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend this as a cross-curricular tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.