General Assembly Reviews & Product Details

General Assembly Overview

What is General Assembly?

General Assembly is an online educational tool that teaches website development and design through interactive courses.

General Assembly Details

3,379 employees on LinkedIn®

General Assembly Screenshots

General Assembly Reviews

Showing 19 General Assembly reviews
Already have General Assembly?
What do you like best?

I like the variety of courses that General Assembly offers and the fact that you can do courses both online and in person. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything I dislike about General Assembly. If anything, I would say that some of the courses that are supposed to be more in-depth are a little higher-level than I was hoping, but maybe that's just a mismatch of expectations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do it! You can dip your toe in the water with some of the free workshops they have and then move up to the more in-depth ones all the way to full courses if you'd like. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use General Assembly to brush up on skills I'd like to improve (like project management and public speaking) & explore new topics I'm interested in exploring (like design). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

GA offers an extensive course roster along with flexible learning alternatives suitable for anyone's busy schedule. Taking one of their courses is simple and stress-free. The instructors clearly care about what they're teaching and it was an overall enjoyable experience that I'd recommend to anyone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not that this would be a consideration when taking one of their remote learning courses, but their Chicago based in-person location could use a bit of a facelift. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As a project manager I'm constantly being exposed to new teams with unique business functions, some of which can be rather technical. GA is perfect for grasping a high-level understanding of a technical subject and/or software with which you might be unfamiliar. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The courses are just really well done. Broken in to chunks, well paced, short videos, follow-along content that isn’t arduous and also not a waste of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the courses can be expensive and prohibitive unless your work can help support the learning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Training on data analytics to better analyze and display our education data to decision makers. This is allowing us to make decisions that better serve our students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Success Advisor
Education Management
What do you like best?

GA networking breakfasts and happy hours are a great way to meet folks in your industry/city. Great variety of topics, speakers, attendees--I learned about a lot of new, young tech companies in my city by attending. The classes all look awesome but I haven't taken any. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Spots fill up quickly for free things sometimes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Networking, skill-building, getting involved with the tech community in my city. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Their classes are well thought out and well taught. I love the huge array of opportunities and subjects they have. Even their free workshops have proved very helpful! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the workshops act more like an advertisement for the other classes, rather than something actually worth spending 3 hours on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

They help me learn new skills from great teachers for a fair price. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Helpful instructors who enjoyed what they were teaching and had experience in the field. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Wish there was more time to do group projects and hands on material. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lack of knowledge in certain areas that I wanted to quickly get up to speed for my career goals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UX Content Strategist
Review source: G2 Gives Campaign
What do you like best?

I've been able to take advantage of a couple of the free courses at General Assembly. One on UX Research and one on Digital Marketing. It's a good starting point for getting a peek into an industry and a preview of what their paid courses might offer and give you. They also have hosted other free events around Atlanta for UX professionals. Great way to network and stay in touch. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

They're paid courses are VERY expensive. It seems like a high-quality education center, but I haven't been able to justify the costs for myself yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go to some free events. Get a feel for it and maybe consider investing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Staying in touch with the ever-changing UX field. Getting a sense of how other companies are doing UX and what thinkers in the field are saying. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Digital Advertisement Oversight
What do you like best?

I really like that General Assembly offers many live stream free resource options - from Data Analytics live streams to Intro to Digital Marketing. they also offer part-time and full-time classes Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The paid classes are very expensive, I would venture to say maybe too expensive? I also wish that the streaming classes were accessible anytime, anywhere instead of having to sign up for a date and time. That would be so nice to be able to access it whenever. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you are well-versed in that area if you plan on taking one of their classes, as they are expensive and you could be paying a lot just to feel sort of lost on the topic. I suggest really diving deep into their free streaming classes first and feel around for the topic, making sure you are ready to take the leap for a paid class Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

General Assembly helps me refine my skills in digital marketing so I can learn more about SEO and what makes audiences interested to click something and how to effectively market a business or product Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

I like that there is a number of different types of classes as well that they are offered both online and in person. If you don't want to do a full semester type course, they offer single day ones which is great to get out of the office for a little bit! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes when I google or search for classes and they come up, they aren't actually available which can be a little misleading. It can kind of get your hopes up so maybe try to keep up with all the classes that are being advertised and making sure they are available to take. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think it is an absolute great try! They have a ton of different classes for everyone so you can always find what your looking for and the teachers and classes are very hands on and always send PDFs following the class. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use General Assembly to maximize our skills and do extended learning. As most of us have already graduated from college, its nice to go back in that school type atmosphere and get some additional training that will actually apply to our jobs now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Social Media
What do you like best?

I loved all the classes available in NYC for social media and for public speaking-really helped me grow my career Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The classes can be a bit expensive and I wish there were more weekend options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've become a much better public speaker b/c of the General Assembly classes I've taken. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I've taken four General Assembly courses and enjoyed the opportunities, instruction, coursework, and additional helpful information in all of them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the pricing for the larger, longer programs. I wish they were as affordable as community college courses in my city. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just go for it. There is a ton to of options out there in the area of career education and adapting to new tech-focused work opportunities, but General Assembly is one of the best. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've been able to dive a little deeper into the areas of content strategy, customer/user experience, and other areas that are relevant to my work, but largely unexplored in my current professional role. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Analyst, Digital Media Strategy and Analytics
What do you like best?

I like that there are a plethora of courses to choose from and that the UI is so intuitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more classes and workshops offered in the area. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I believe if you want to gain skills in a user-friendly environment to consider General Assembly! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have realized many benefits both for my own development as well as things that could become applicable for the company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UN
What do you like best?

Lots of choice, a useful tool for developing and changing your career. I took a General Assembly course to develop my skills within digital marketing. I was in a website role, and wanted to develop my expertise. I approached my employer, who was happy to pay for the course. It was great to get away from my normal 9-5, and go back to the classroom - the courses were informative, engaging and I learnt a lot. I would definitely recommend General Assembly, and would like to take a course on coding next. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the price point makes courses inaccessible for those who are self-funding. However, I was lucky that my employer paid for this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Helping you develop your career - both within the workplace and also for personal development. Giving you the time and space to learn something exciting and new, that can also be complimentary to your employer. Giving you the chance to ask questions and learn. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love how much time and effort they put into every event - and each is so modern and up-to-date with what millennials need! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly I just wish they offered more events in the evening so I could make them! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

More online courses! Coding for example would be STELLAR - Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Everything from networking to recruiting and connecting with like-minded individuals/inspiration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I took it on site. It was phenomenal. Adit I think was the name of the professor. It was last summer. Gave me a new career. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Lack of variety. They should offer a coding for product manager course. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Product marketing and strategy problems for my company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Not only do you learn from practicing professionals in the industry, they also put you in a network that you can stay in touch with and leverage for further opportunities Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Course prices are really expensive and often unaffordable. They do, however, have a free class schedule, so those are always helpful to test the waters! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I went for a UX design course to General assembly and feel like I learnt immensely. As a self-taught graphic designer, the classroom was a great source of learning and I found I grew in the classroom really fast. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love the Workshop events General Assembly hosts. I attend the ones in Chicago and find them so informative! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more workshops available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am rediscovering my passions and General Assembly workshops have helped me realize the wide array of opportunities and avenues I can embark on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder, Digital Marketing & Brand Strategist
What do you like best?

The availability and content of their classes. If you are someone who what's to make a career change without having to go back to college or you want to build up your skillet for your current career path, then GA is a great place to start. I started when I came across their free Dash program online. I just wanted to build on my existing, yet limited, knowledge of code for building websites. I've since taken their classes online and even visited their campus in downtown Atlanta. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any particulars about their classes. I just wished some were offered at more different times slots. My only issues is when I have to drive downtown Atlanta for some of their classes that they offer online. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take advantage of their free classes before you commit yourself to a program such as Front-End development. Talk to others in the career field you want about mapping out coursework that can help you become more of an asset to prospective employers. With that said, take a class or two that you interested you in personal reason or just out of your own curiosity. You never know something you learn in that class could be useful. Go to the networking events they have also. If you are currently employed, then know that it's definitely worth taking off work for or leaving early if you find an event that conflicts with your work schedule. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It offered me a better alternative that going back to school and I found it more rewarding than grad school. I got more for the content and quality of their classes. I was able to increase my skill for digital marketing so that I could offer more services to my clients as a consultant. It has also allowed me to better position myself as a project manager for large-scale projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for General Assembly?