Zotero Reviews & Product Details

What do you like best?

I love Zotero. The software has several advantages: First, it is very easy to use. Second, it is open-source and free (as in free beer) so you don't have to worry about licensing issues. Third, it is lightweight, so it will not slow your computer down. Fourth, It can be integrated with other tools such as Jupyter. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I used Zotero for my PhD research and I had no problem with that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing references for my research papers and thesis. At the organisational level, it allows us to share references and facilitate communication. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Zotero Overview

What is Zotero?

Zotero is a free, easy-to-use tool to help you collect, organize, cite, and share your research sources.

Zotero Details
Discussions
Zotero Community

Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media
N/A
@chnm
Answer a few questions to help the Zotero community
Have you used Zotero before?

Zotero Reviews

Showing 60 Zotero reviews
Already have Zotero?
Graduate Research Assistant
What do you like best?

Zotero Extension in the web browser. I love the feature of saving the paper while reading on the web. It also provides various tags and labels which is easy to find. It is a must to have tool for the academic community of students and professors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

They can provide more features into the UI like drag and drop of paper and changing their order in the board. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great tool for the academic community. Please use the web browser extension for sure. It provides a very easy way to save multiple works we can do on research papers. Also since it does not require a subscription for basic features, it is good for students. They can use the tool to organize their research and organize the tasks to be completed as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am using it to collate my research papers in one place. I use it to make a list of relevant papers for my research. I also use it to make notes on different papers. It provides notes tagging facility to various labels and tags created manually. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Principal Consultant
What do you like best?

Everything is keyword searchable. I can type notes and search for specific terms. This is really useful for primary sources - I just drop a few relevant keyword into the note attached to the source and I can easily access it later. This is like the old notecard system brought into the 21st century. I love it! This is especially useful when I go back to something after a long time or if I have more than one project going at once. I can easily review all the relevant sources by keyword search and go from there. I also like that you can specify where you want to search (everywhere, titles, etc) which is really helpful when you know one word of a title but can't remember anything else. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It it sometimes really time consuming to create a bibliography out of selected sources from one list. I have not been able to figure out a streamlined way to do this. There are also a lot of errors in the created bibliography that I have to go through and check, but I suppose that is still faster than typing them out manually. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is worth it to pay for the in-application storage, otherwise you will spend tons of time re-linking your files to the records. It's especially useful if you know your project will be long term (over several years) and you are likely to change computers or servers in that time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Citation management, source organization, tracking historiography. It allows me to keep my research notes together with my citations, which has really improved my ability to use all the sources I review. Previously, I used a Word document with my notes and a separate bibliography tool like Evernote or One note (can't remember the exact name) and I would have to search through my computer file system to find my notes related to a specific source. I also really like that it will automatically add a PDF or screenshot of the file if it can - that saves a lot of time. This also allows me to easily separate bibliographies for unique projects, courses, and even assignments. Most of the organizational features of Zotero are really intuitive and work specifically for what I am using. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Zotero is an outstanding all-inclusive testing program. You can organize all search content in one location and handle your data set easily. I like to add the zotero to your file and browser to organize articles. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The user interface can be improved with additional user-friendly features which will make work more exciting. The program will incorporate etiquette to attract more scientists and similar features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Zotero is free software that allows you to track and manage your parameters at all times. I suggest this while doing a study. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In any event I need them in order to solve the question of my references Zotero has to type. Now, when I need it, I can save and recall my Zotero referrals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TD Coordinator for Library Accessibility Services
What do you like best?

the browser integration

and that is all I have to write Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

that I am not able to create folders

I really don't like the fact that I have to type a certain number of characters Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Nothing that I couldn't with other programs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

1. Folder organization capability based on project or group

2. Has a chrome plugin that makes is very easy to instantly save manuscripts or papers to the correct location with the click of a button

3. Integrates and works flawlessly with Microsoft Word and Google Docs

4. Easy to create collaborations by inviting team members to join a group

5. Seamlessly saves references, creates in-text citations in the proper format, and automatically generates bibliographies Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

1. Sending invitations to collaborators is limited to the Zotero webpage; it would be nice is this functionality was built into the desktop app Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Saving time adding in citations and building bibliographies, ultimately allowing for more material to be reviewed and included in pending manuscript drafts. Takes a significant burden off of the authors in worrying about giving due credit to prior published research; it's all done for you with the click of a button! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Zotero is an excellent research application for everybody. It lets you coordinate all research material in one place and allows you to easily manage your data set. In order to organize papers I love the zotero add on your file and browser. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

By adding more user-friendly features that make work more exciting, the user interface can be improved. The system can add labels to attract more researchers and other similar features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Zotero is free software, which lets you at all times control and monitor your benchmarks. When conducting a research, I recommend it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In any case I need them for my research, Zotero helps solve the problem of having to type my references. Now I can save my Zotero referrals and recall them whenever I need them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

As being a research assistant, I quite often occupy myself with a literature research. Zotero allows to manage all sources together with corresponding pdf and provides consistency to my work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Maybe, that it does not accept endnote format for import. However, it is not a big problem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Zotero is helping to organize my work - in the software, I am fold creating collections and subcollections - by destabilization it is becoming easier to find an article that you need. Regarding the benefits, it allows to sort all articles by the date of adding it to Zotero - for me it was helpful Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Zotero was helpful to collect all citations together, merge dublicates and then insert reference and bibliography in Word Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Zotero offers not really modern website design, but the Help section is brilliant! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The main benefit - smooth integration with Word. I just insert a citation and the bibliography list is immediately updates. Unbelievable! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Que puedo tener de manera organizada los artículos de revistas científicas, por carpetas, y puedo compartirlas con un grupo de personas en específicos y sincronizar la cuenta Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Hay muchos artículos que no sincronizan por no estar localizados en la pagina de la revista. en algunos casos no sigue la secuencia de numérica de las citaciones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Puedo almacenar y agregar la bibliográfica al tiempo que voy redactando mi articulo. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

What I like most about Zotero is the simplicity of its interface which makes its use easy and simple, in addition to this it is very easy to synchronize and capture the metadata that comes from web pages thanks to the plugin. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the lack of function to the classification of references, it should have a function to classify each reference (for example: Read, Unread, Chosen, Not chosen, Doubt, Favorites) This function is essential for systematic reviews, for this reason I hardly use this software,

I also don't like the fact that I can't make anotations in the downloaded PDFs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Zotero has allowed me to perform automatic import of metadata easily and almost without errors, it also allows me to import from databases, in addition to this it allows to make citations in word processing programs, it could improve a lot in the organization of the references because the labels are not very useful in my opinion.

Zotero has one functionality that has been very useful in my professional and academic life and is receiving recommendations based on my interests. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Zotero saves me a lot of time with citations and references. If I make changes to a particular reference, the document updates with the corresponding change to all of the citations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, it is difficult to make manual changes within a document. Everything has to be done within Zotero, so you can't make changes to the citations/references directly in Word. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing citations and references. I have used Zotero to prepare manuscripts and manage citations for my dissertation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Researcher
What do you like best?

I use zotero for resource management in scientific articles. Its easy to use, free available (Up to certain data limit), and reliable. The best thing about zotero is the saving PdF of resources which you can access even in offline mode. Once the data is synced it can be accessed from anywhere. There is a huge range of citation styles for almost all the required journals and are easily available. Extra space can also be bought by paying required money for annual usage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing i dislike about zotero is the complexity of making custom citation styles. Its not at all described clearly and every time i tried, i couldn't make it. the support team has also just provided me the information which is already available but i couldn't get the custom citation style made. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Highly Recommended Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am using Zotero for referencing and bibliography preparation for reports and articles. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Teaching Assistant
What do you like best?

Managing essays and research papers made so much easy. I can save my sites and information, organize it all. the best part is its create automatic bib file of our research papers. each file have a different icon like pdf, thesis, patent all have a different icon with the help of this we can easily identify our files. the best part about Zotero is we can access our data online and offline both. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Zotero doesn't have the android application it is only bad part about it because we need a laptop or personal system for using this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I m using Zotero for my research purpose with the help of this I can easily manage my all papers. and I don't need to carry my system all the time because I can use it online also. I can use it anytime anywhere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chemical/Process Engineer
What do you like best?

Zotero is a free citation software that helps to store references and it is user friendly. You can recall the reference material whenever it is needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You need a little knowledge on HTML writings to have full control of the program, such as creating your own referencing style. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Zotero is a free software that helps you to manage and track your reference materials at any point in time. I recommend it when carrying out a research. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Zotero helps to solve the problem of having to type my references every time I need them for my research work. I can now store my references in Zotero and recall them anytime I need it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Zotero is an excellent application for anyone into research. It helps you organize all your relates research content at one place and lets you manage your collection of data very efficiently. I love the zotero add on your files and browser which is very useful in the organization of papers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The user interface could be improved by adding more user-friendly features which will make research more exciting. It can add labels and other similar features to attract more research aspirants. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it for an enhanced experience in Research. Gives an organized view to your research content so you can manage easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm using Zotero for my research purposes to organization my collection of research content. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

I really love how compatible the program is with multiple systems and with Word, Google Chrome and Safari. I’m able to work from my home computer (Mac) and from work (PC). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are times when Zotero will crash when I am updating my Word document. Also, I am not always able to edit my citations within me document when using my Mac. So, if I wanted to go back and add an additional source (so have the numbers 3,4 following information instead of just 3), I am unable to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to reformat papers for different journal articles incredibly quickly, which saves me time and energy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instructional design assistant
What do you like best?

Many options possible for saving the documents, creating tags Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Highlighting the important content could have been better Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its a nice tool for researchers. They should give it a try. It has also a nice option of google chrome extension which can directly add information from the web Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

To do a Literature review in an organized way Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Production Control Buyer
What do you like best?

Easy to clip citations from the web and add them to your project in Microsoft Word. Huge time saver for students and writers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Because it is an open-source resource, sometimes updates don't come at the most convenient times, and support is not what you would get with a paid service. Also, I really wish they worked more directly with Scrivener. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There's just nothing quite like it. I really liked EndNote, but you can't beat Zotero's price (FREE) for such a great product. It's not perfect, but it's the only reference manager I recommend.

If you use Zotero and have issues, there are great forums to answer questions you may have. Use the ones on the Zotero website, but Google can also find you great blogs for students with tutorials that will help learn the system. It's pretty user-friendly and intuitive to use, and would be worth paying money for, but it's free. Don't spend money on a paid tool as long as this one is available! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As a professor, Zotero is the go-to reference manager I use for my own writing and for my students. It saves an incredible amount of time in writing and research. No more time wasted formatting citations or keeping track of them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Student
What do you like best?

The features of Zotero I found really helpful are :

- It allows you to save your library locally on your computer.

- it is very good with citing references on technical reports.

- it allows you to save webpages and add notes on saved webpages. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The features of Zotero i did not like are :

- It does not have as many referencing styles as other referencing applications

- It's not very good at referencing websites

- It doesn't always get the correct information from documents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Zotero makes it easier for me to reference my technical reports and journals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Research Librarian
What do you like best?

After installing the Zotero Connector icon to the right of your web browser’s address bar, you can click on the icon to save web pages, lists of articles (or specific citations from a list of articles), PDFs, and individual citations directly to a Zotero collection. If a PDF of an article is available, it will be included when the article is saved to a Zotero collection. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If metadata is missing from a citation after adding it to a Zotero collection, you have to search for the same citation elsewhere in order to copy the metadata into the citation in the Zotero collection. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Learn to use Zotero by reading instructional materials. I found a PDF titled Zotero Workshop, which I saved for future use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I conduct literature reviews, including database searches, for researchers in STEM. For one recent literature review, I saved citations from multiple sources into EndNote, then I was able to sync the entire EndNote bibliography to Zotero in a new collection, and I sent the Zotero collection to the researcher as an email attachment. The researcher was then able to open the attachment in Zotero to create a new collection of citations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technical Partner
What do you like best?

An easy and simple way to reference articles, projects and journals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It makes detailed mistakes sometimes. Like giving out a wrong author, wrong page number and sometimes one has to cross check its result before inputting them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

it makes the concept of referencing enticing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technical writing problems, referencing problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The best thing about zotero is you save your research work in it. It's very easy to save research papers in Zotero and then cite them in your paper with one click. It gives you the option of citing in different styles which is a very good feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometime it takes a lot of time to sync your work with email Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am working on a digital marketing research. with the help of Zotero I keep record of all the research i have studied ad then site them in my research in Harvard style. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graduate Student
What do you like best?

I really love that the ISBN can be entered to search for a book or article. I also love the notes and pdf storage features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be slower to lead and get overwhelelmed, but overall it is an amazing product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the search function, store pdfs, it is a great product for graduate students starting research. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use ti for citation management, storing notes, storing pdf documents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Zotero has some of the standard features of reference management software that are very positive. You can integrate with Microsoft Word so you can automatically insert in-text citations and generate a bibliographic list at the end based on your pre-specified format settings. The software allows you to manually enter references. There is also an official Zotero plug-in for Chrome that allows you to easily import references you locate on the web. Teamwork is easy with Zotero as you can create shared libraries everyone saves to and you can also export libraries for other users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

One thing that is lacking is the ability to search a library of reference entries like you can do with Mendeley's website. Having access to the entries other users have generated for a reference in the past has saved me a lot of time and effort in the past. You can create your own custom formatting templates but the process is not as intuitive as would be ideal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would consider whether or not you need software to use in a team setting. If so, then if everyone is on board, Zotero could be a great option. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We especially use this software because of its ability to be used across a whole team of researchers. We have a shared library that everyone can access and add to. This is ideal as everyone is working on their own pieces of the project often remotely and independently. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.