Zen Cart

3.7

Zen Cart is truly is the art of e-commerce; free, user-friendly, open source shopping cart software. The ecommerce web site design program is developed by a group of like-minded shop owners, programmers, designers, and consultants that think ecommerce web design could be, and should be, done differently.

Work for Zen Cart?

Learning about Zen Cart?

Zen Cart Reviews

Showing 16 Zen Cart reviews
AngelfishUSA D.

"Zencart so much better and easier to use than I thought"

What do you like best?

So many add ons available for free. Almost anything I could need. And even for a novice easy to customize. Adding and updating products is a breeze. The information on the admin home is great letting me know how many visitors, and detailed information about how long... and how many pages they clicked on. Integration with Square, Paypal was flawless. Even customizing my shipping add ons was pretty easy.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that it is lacking so far is detailed sales tax reporting. I cannot seem to find anything that will give me a report by county or zip code. And I need that for reporting sales tax in Florida.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product will do more than you could ever need. Runs flawlessly. And almost no upfront cost. Detailed reports, analytics, and more.

live website. online store. Blog/forum. It has helped me gain exposure on search engines. All my customers find it easier to use and stay online longer which creates more business for me.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Zen Cart
jennifer h.

"Limited customer support, makes it difficult to use "

What do you like best?

You can edit a lot of the dashboard, so that it's fairly customizable. It worked well for our three-person team, but as we grow I hope that we'll need something with more capabilities.

What do you dislike?

because it's open source, it has a very cheap feel/not very intuitive. this means there's no customer support when you need help, but there's a beginners guide online that you can substitute.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

get your own tech support or hire someone with IT/tech support background. The platform itself works well, but once you hit a roadblock you're going to have to figure it out on your own! Very inexpensive, so this worked for us/ we could afford in-house support for a couple months to transition into the program

it was really good startup software for our online store, and it meant we could manage our store pretty well when it was still very small-scale. this works well for those with their own IT support or someone with tech support background knowledge.

What Shopping Cart solution do you use?

jim p.

"Free open source shopping cart"

What do you like best?

A popular online store management system that has been around for a long time.

It works with most payments gateways and can be installed on any web hosting platform.

there are templates and plugins available to customize the store look with no coding.

zen cart is free and open source. you can obtain the source code and make changes if you are a coder.

good support via the community in the product's forum.

Documentation is available on their website.

What do you dislike?

User interface may be confusing at first.

Zen Cart advanced features requires technical knowledge especially setting up all the web store security settings.

But that is in my opinion not major limitations for a free full featured solution.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Should be on anyone's short list when planning on adding e-commerce to their PHP, MySql website

Create a full featured shopping cart on your web site relatively quickly and easily

Anup S.

"Great and Easy Online Shopping Cart Solution"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that ZenCart is an Open Source option and it can be customized easily. A little bit of PHP information is all that is required

What do you dislike?

The support is slow to respond, but I wouldn't complain about that since it is an Open Source solution

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would really recommend Zen Cart in case you have a new Business and do not want to spend too much setting up a Shopping Cart and payment gateway. Please Go for it , you will not regret it.

Online Shopping Cart and payment gateway is easy to setup and this is really good for small business or a new start up

Markus M.

"Not the best option"

What do you like best?

nothing beats a windows client application to access your website. it is fast and convenient for your team.

I've used it in the past with other ecommerce software and it worked perfectly. But with Zencart it did not work 90% of the time.

What do you dislike?

lots of crashes and doing your own database modification will throw the application off. should use better caching and not rely on the server to reply for each request.

did not update or work well at all. Everything installed fine but when had to update products it did not work at all. Also imported a customer csv file and totally messed up my database

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Needs more work to be able to step up to the next level.

instead of using the web interface to access the e-commerce application a client desktop application will makes your life easier

Scott C W.

"Still a great open source ecommerce platform"

What do you like best?

Zen Cart is free and open source. The only limits to what you can build are your imagination. Robust community support; frequent security updates; large portfolio of contributions. Easy to find developers who are skilled in customization.

What do you dislike?

More high quality templates are badly needed. Vendors provide a few but work in this area has been lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want total control over your cart and need to do integration with external systems, Zen Cart is a great choice.

Any sort of ecommerce solution can be built: digital/physical, inventory/drop shipping, simple products/complex variants.

UE
User in Executive Office

"May have found what we were looking for!"

What do you like best?

I like that it is easier to use than most! And works with various hosting services!

Easy to implement too!

What do you dislike?

Could be a bit better on the technical side though! Takes some "adjustments" in getting it in place & up & running!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Coming from hearing so much about other softwares; all good & bad, we decided to just try on our own & ventured out & found this! So far it seems to be good! As I already stated, it takes a little bit to set up (& I wish it was a tad less "technical") it seems to be pretty good!

I am not too technical when it comes to things like this (even though I built the website), so it was a bit of a "challenge" at first; though then things rolled! Going to keep going with it & see where it leads! I think it will work good though for our needs & wants!

We needed an easy to set up & not too technical process. It's a bit to do but now that we are up it isn't too bad! We are new to it but so far so good!

User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Quick Easy Set up and Quick connecting to your payment processor!"

What do you like best?

This is basically a plug and play ecommerce script that deploys itself and has an easy walk through installation. Easy to add products and send mass emails to all of your customers at once all through the admin back end.

What do you dislike?

The interface on the back end seems a bit outdated, although it still does a great job. There is very little support for this software as it is open source and your only real hope is digging through forums. Plugins are user submitted and

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you haven't used open source softwares such as these maybe install these on a local host and test around with it a bit. paypal even allows you to do Sandbox payments which are basically faux payments to test your system!

Adding products to our online store quick and fast. Expanding is easier with tons of plug ins. But careful as all these are user submitted and may not always work. You can also create sales very quickly either by item, item categories, or even your entire site by dollar or percent amounts, creating coupon codes is extremely easy as well.

Rohit E.

"Zen cart a tool for use"

What do you like best?

I like that it is fully customized and you have the freedom to host it on any server. It is very flexible to host in any server

What do you dislike?

It doesn't have formal support and has complex up-gradation

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure how it works before implementing, Its easy to use and understand and can resolve a lot of queries and concerns

It has helped me with multi-language support. It has also helped me with easy pricing changes to facilitate sales. I have realized that it can be fully customized and has good e commerce features.

UE
User in E-Learning

"Very user friendly check out solution for anyone"

What do you like best?

I liked that this was easy to put on my page and it worked quickly and easily with little fuss.

What do you dislike?

I didn't really dislike anything about this program, but I did not use it in depth for a very long period of time.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend this product to anyone who needs an easy shopping cart for their small online business, we used it for a nonprofit and we had only about 10 items in the store and needed something that people could easily use. This worked great.

We needed an easy to use cart for our small store online, and this worked perfectly! It installed easily and allowed us to easily accept payments for items.

Matthew C.

"Free, but you get what you pay for"

What do you like best?

Free, good community that can help out easily

What do you dislike?

Outdated UI, tough to navigate, can be complicated for new users

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just be wary that since the product is free, the quality you will be getting isn't *excellent.*

eCommerce shopping cart solutions

"Free Ecommerce Platform"

What do you like best?

Once that site is set up it is easy to use. Plus it is free which is great! Lots of plug in options to customize your cart,. It is a great open source platform.

What do you dislike?

Not a good fit if you are not tech savvy. There is no phone support only emails which makes trying to figure out an issue very difficult. I found it very difficult to set up my store with them and I have opened a few eCommerce stores in the past

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you are very tech savvy or know someone who is

Hoping to open an online drop ship store

Randy N.

"Open Source E Commerce Program"

What do you like best?

Free to use and highly customizable for the team

What do you dislike?

It's a little bit difficult to use at first, but after some time we got the hang of it

We're solving the issue of inputting and exporting items in our stores. It's a lot more efficient to use this tool

"Best eCommerce platform"

What do you like best?

Its Free to use. It has got a huge amount of customization options and a strong user community for help.

What do you dislike?

The UI is old making it a bit difficult to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's free to use and got backed by a strong user community. Though the UI is outdated, its still one of the best eCommerce applications available.

We use ZenCart in our shopping site as a shopping cart software.

Trina Kirchner M.

"Interesting but not a daily basis"

What do you like best?

There is a strong user community which helps understand And I can customize it however I like!

What do you dislike?

There isn’t too much customer support when I had troubles

Finding products

I
Internal Consultant

"Good e-commerce"

What do you like best?

It's a good e-commerce, very easy and intuitive, very good program to create your professional looking online store.

What do you dislike?

Maybe you need to add some extra features with more options but in general it's fine.

Our benefits have been that we have created two online stores and they are working perfectly, we like it very much.

Learning about Zen Cart?

* We monitor all Zen Cart reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.