You Need A Budget Reviews & Product Details

Founder
What do you like best?

YNAB organizes my spending. I can see how much I have left to spend in each category. I can keep track of loans I've made to people. I can see how much money I set aside for the IRS. It syncs with my bank account, so it's low maintenance. And the app is as charming as a budgeting app possibly can be. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve. YNAB is based on the envelope method of budgeting. You only budget money that you have and you budget all of it when you get it. That's the fun part. Credit cards and loans are confusing to set up. Categorizing can be tedious, if you have a lot of transactions. But, the app does a good job of remembering what categories that you use for recurring transactions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

By using YNAB I'm able to successfully save for the IRS. As a freelancer my income varies month to month. It seemed impossible to stick to a budget before I started using YNAB. Now not only can I stick to it, but I can accurately forecast what's coming up. And I don't worry so much about bills and not having enough money for this or that. I can see by looking at the app exactly how far my money will last in the future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

You Need A Budget Overview

What is You Need A Budget?

You Need A Budget (YNAB, we call it why-nab when we're in a hurry) teaches your employees a whole new way of thinking about their money.

You Need A Budget Details

You Need A Budget
2004
Lehi, UT
@ynab
Answer a few questions to help the You Need A Budget community
Have you used You Need A Budget before?

You Need A Budget Reviews

Showing 13 You Need A Budget reviews
Already have You Need A Budget?
What do you like best?

I have tried probably every personal finance software under the sun and the biggest thing that always frustrated me was the budgeting element. Finally, with You Need A Budget (YNAB), I have found a budgeting system that makes sense, is easy to use and can also take care of my other personal finance needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are some accounts that do not sync well with YNAB in particular mortgage and investment accounts. But the premise of YNAB is not to cater to that. It takes on one of our biggest challenges, budgeting, and does it better than anyone else. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to learn the YNAB philosophy before you dive in. It is not complicated, but once you have a grasp of it the software makes perfect sense and will take immense stress from your finances. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Personal and Business Budgets. Also used for book keeping too. Allows me to really understand how much money I currently have to budget especially when it comes to using credit cards. That feature alone is worth the subscription. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I'm sure there are other budgeting systems out there, but this is one of the best I've ever come into contact with. I love the ease of being able to see exactly where my money is and the big-picture thinking. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are some aspects of being able to transfer money to/from a savings account that bother me, for example, the fact that all of that money is still movable in the app even though in reality it's in a savings account so I don't want to have it added to my budget, but that's just a me preference. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be open to the advice that they give you! Their customer service is incredible helpful. I'd recommend this to literally anyone. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

YNAB has already transformed my money life; I've been using it ever since I got my first job after college and started receiving a consistent paycheck. It does wonders for my spending and has allowed me to save a lot already. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Learning Coordinator
What do you like best?

The flexibility and variety of expenses that could be added Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish i could have seen a projection to various dates according to salary, dept payments, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Everything you need to simplify budgetting and seeing everything in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having all my accounts in one view. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

What's best about YNAB? It gives you more control over your money than you ever imagined you could have. The instruction from CEO Jesse Meekum, both on budgeting rules and how to use the software, give us security as freelancers that we never thought would exist. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

They are phasing out support YNAB classic which I've used for years. The new model is a monthly fee, unlike the classic which was one fee for life. I'll still use it though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Hang in there, there's a little learning curve, but the AHA moment when you realize what the software does for you is worth it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

By breaking up infrequent but predictable expenses into set monthly amounts, my business has been able to thrive even having an income that goes up and down. It also helps to figure out policy changes I need to implement, since I have income data on each client, I am empowered to make changes to the policy which meet client needs more efficiently. For example, setting up a flat fee service for clients who cancel a lot. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Associate Wealth Advisor
What do you like best?

YNAB focuses you on your budget rather than account balances. It helps people build a habit of proactivity with their money instead of just letting things happen as they may. It’s incredibly intuitive and easy to use but also very powerful and flexible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Price is a bit on the high side, but I’ve been won over on the value, so it didn’t keep me from purchasing. I used older versions for a few years, but the new cloud version had automated several of the things I used to do manually, so it was worth the upgrade.

I wish there were a cleaner way to handle reimbursements. For business expenses where I know I will be paid back, it stinks having to take money from other categories to cover. I’ve found workarounds, but it’s a little convoluted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

YNAB is not just an app but a gateway into a mindset of proactivity in personal finance. If you use it, it will work. It will not do the work for you, though. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It helps me take control of my spending and tell my money where to go rather than letting impulse spending bust my budget. We live on less and save more - measurably more. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Associate
What do you like best?

This program helps the user with financial health, and I really appreciate that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It could use a more expansive help section. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's helped me set up a budget and stick to it. My expenses have been under control since I used it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I like that you can set up multiple budgets Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The auto syncing sometimes is problematic Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Really great tool for keeping track of expenses. The auto-syncing option unfortunately doesn't always work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I keep track of my budget so I know what I can spend on itemized business expenses. I also use it for tracking expenses and income for tax purposes Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

YNAB is very flexible and allows you to adjust it to your specific needs. It's based on four specific rules and once you get those down, everything else falls into place. They have excellent customer support with an extensive knowledge base, community and webinars to help you through any roadblocks. Best of all, it helped me get my finances in order and stay in the green! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Initially learning some of the rules and specifics of how YNAB wants you to enter info was complex. After some time and adjusting, I was able to figure out the "why" behind their decisions. It's a small learning curve with a big pay off. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to review their rules and the knowledge base for information about how to specifically set up some of your categories, account for your credit card spending (this one was tricky for me), and how to deal with possible overspend. A small amount of research up front will pay off since you won't be scratching your head later on and editing entries. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Getting my finances in order, saving lots of money, smarter investments and getting a few months ahead of my budget. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Product Manager
Internet
What do you like best?

It's like a calorie tracker - if you enter your expenses manually each day you're automatically more aware of them which helps you control them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

All the manual entry - though that's kind of the point of it. It's beautifully designed and user friendly, I ultimately just decided I didn't want to do the manual work to be consistent with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's the best in it's class it just requires a decent amount of consistent thought - which IMO is appropriate if you're in debt or have some other financial issues but if you feel your spending isn't causing you issues it may be a bit overkill. Ultimately I think it was great but I just wasn't the ideal user for it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Wanted to get a better view of how I spend and be more careful in my spending. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

YNAB is the best budget software that I have used (and I have used A LOT). I love how easy it is to cover overspending in one category with another category. Category goals help you to plan accurately and make sure you don't leave anything out. The way YNAB handles finances month to month is great as well. It automatically starts you off with a negative balance for the month if you overspent the previous month so the impact of the deficit isn't overlooked. YNAB also has good reporting tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

YNAB has a few quirks that can be difficult to understand at first, but it's just because they do things differently (and in my opinion, better). For instance, YNAB handles credit cards pretty uniquely. If you spend money with a credit card account, YNAB expects you to cover that spending in your credit card payment. So if you have a $50/month payment and you use your credit card to buy something for $25, YNAB expects you to budget $75 for a credit card payment that month. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

YNAB helps us keep our finances in order and gives us a good picture of our financial health at any moment. We use it daily to track transactions and manage our various budgets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UG
What do you like best?

You Need A Budget helped me get through difficult times by helping me make a budget. It helped me track my expenses, that was the most difficult part for me when saving money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Theres not much to dislike for this app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Solving my budget needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

The system works and we love it. Syncing with your phone makes keeping the budget up to date straight from the check out. Overall it works well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Subscription model. Seriously we bought in when they were promising a one time fee and then they spun to say well, you can keep classic that we will stop supporting but if you want the newest you have to pay is a yearly sum. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Funny that this is here because we do use it for business although you could. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

You can break down categories, set up future transactions, recurring transactions, debt accounts Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could break down categories one step further, sync multiple budgets with the same accounts Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Can’t input future cashflows, but it helps that you can see the deficit on the main budget page and take into account the future inflows from there Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.