4.5 out of 5
Do you work for Vim?

Vim Reviews & Product Details

What is Vim?

Vim is a configurable text editor built to help manage efficient text editing with vi editor and UNIX System that can be used on-premise or online.

Vim Profile Details

Vim Reviews

1-50 of 185 total Vim reviews
Vim review by Dylan M.
Dylan Miller

"Write and develop faster"

What do you like best?

VIM is not a simple plaintext editor, it's a complete and powerful tool to develop all kinds of code with a maximum performance. There are countless plugins you can load to perform different tasks, highlight the different parts of the code in function of the language, compile it from the same windows, autocomplete the words while is written, etc.

What do you dislike?

No és fàcil començar amb VIM perquè requereix moltes hores de proves i cal buscar a Internet per acostumar-s'hi. A part d'això, és bastant complicat personalitzar l'editor, ja que s'ha d'escriure un codi específic per fer cada modificació.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VIM is the perfect text editor, since it allows you to develop code without touching the mouse, so you can develop it much faster. There are a great community behind that creates content to improve it constantly creating new modules and features.

I use VIM daily to develop code in C++ and write Bash scripts. I also use it to modify configuration files of the servers that I work. It's my main editor.

Vim review by Nacho G.

"The essential tool in Unix"

What do you like best?

VIM is the essential tool for any Unix user. Although it looks like a simple plain text editor, it is a great productivity application, it has a very high potential since it integrates many utilities and functions to develop code or manage computers.

What do you dislike?

Only comment that it is a bit difficult to start working with VIM, as it does not have mouse, for new users it will be hard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VIM is a free and open source application to edit text files from a terminal. It has plenty of shortcuts to do all the functions that are done with the mouse with keyboard commands

I use it daily to edit all kinds of files, on my computer and on the different servers that I connect daily. I also use it when I develop C ++ codes and some bash scripts.

VIM allows me to do my job much faster than with other applications that require mouse.

Vim review by Arnau P.
PHD Student
Research

"VIM - Amazing IDE"

What do you like best?

VIM is an amazing IDE with a basic(but powerful) GUI installed by default in Linux and MAC operative systems. It is designed for highly skilled profiles as it is hard to use at the beginning. However, once you dominate the basic commands, you rapidly start to feel comfortable with VIM. A huge community of developers sustain vim, and there are lots of plugins for improving the software capabilities. Apart from that, this IDE also allows modifying files in servers through SSH.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about VIM. It is simply perfect. However, if I have to mention some handicap, I would mention the difficulties of learning it from scratch, if you compare it with other user-friendly IDEs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I know that it can be hard when you start, but it is worth giving it more than 10 chances, you will not regret.

I'm editing files and creating code with VIM all the time (C++, Python, LaTeX, Bash...) moving through servers and terminals all the time.

Vim review by Ramon G.

"The professional text editor"

What do you like best?

VIM is a simple text editor, but when you start to work with VIM, you increase your speed working with each text file a lot. Basically because you can do whatever you needs in a text file, like copy paste, format the code, open tabs of different files and move between them, search across the documents, replace words, and much more things that you can do without the mouse, just with keyboard shortcuts.

What do you dislike?

There are just one negative thing in VIM and is that for the new users it's a bit hard to start working without the mouse and learn lots of shortcuts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

VIM it's "a must" for the people that works as software or web developer. Also it's essential when you connect to a server to do some modifications, because normally you just has a terminal.

With vim basically I develop code in HTML, PHP and JAVA, and I can do it moving along the heritage very fast and easy, especially when you have lots of files.

Vim review by George Y.
Staff Engineer
Environmental Services

"I use Vim everywhere on multiple operating systems"

What do you like best?

This is the text editor I use the most because there is an implementation of it on all the operating systems that I use. I use Vim and the same familiar editing commands whether I am working on Windows, MSDOS, Unix, Linux, OpenVMS, or even an Android tablet.

What do you dislike?

Vim stands for "vi Improved" and there are many advanced commands that I should learn to use, but haven't. It is a bit of a steep learning curve when just getting started using Vim, but I have found that just the knowing the basic editing commands are all I need to edit any text file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a free text editor that is available on multiple computing environments from Raspberry Pi to large supercomputers.

My job position requires me to work on a diverse set of computing environments, and I'm glad that the Vim text editor can be used on all of them without me having learn a different text editor for each environment.

Vim review by Alok H.

"Vim is an excellent IDE"

What do you like best?

The keyboard commands allow for fast movement and editing

What do you dislike?

Nothing, really. Some users dislike the tinkering and learning curve needed to use Vim, but I like that characteristic of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Absolutely give it a try for code. It requires a learning period, but that is vastly offset with the speed acquired on mastery. And it's free!

I use vim within a remote session inside of tmux panes. Within each vim instance, I am able to efficiently edit any code, text files, and even explore/modify the file system. Once I sit down to start working, I almost never need to touch the mouse or even take my hands off the keyboard. Additionally, with its keyboard shortcuts, there is a significant speedup to editing by speeding up processes that you didn't know were wasting your time.

The biggest convenience is moving around the code. With "normal" editors, you get significant usage out of the Shift, Control, Home, and End keys to move around, along with the arrow keys. These movements take a long time and are a waste of time. Instead, with a modal editor like vim (or emacs), you sit in normal mode most of the time, where the keys don't input characters, but are mapped to various controls. Need to move to the bottom of the document? Hit G. No need to scroll down or hold the down arrow key or Page Down. Want to search for "functionName"? Type /functionName<enter> and you can scroll through all instances. No more Ctrl+F (or worse, menus accessed by mouse).

Vim review by Jake T.
Director of Development - Data Services
Higher Education

"The best text editor of all time"

What do you like best?

Vim edits text like a boss. You can move text around, make massive edits with substitution really simply and generally do all the things very quickly and efficiently.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately, vim's GUI is less than stellar. Most unfortunately, it does not have proper support for folding code in a way that's easy to see. There's lots of hacks and plugins, but they're all just that: hacks and plugins. There's not an easy way to keep proper GUI-style interface features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learning vim is tough--the keybindings don't immediately make sense. But getting over the learning curve is 100% worth it. The pay off is huge.

I use vim on a daily basis for the vast majority of my text editing--the only exception is when I'm using an IDE, in which case I'll turn vim keymappings on if they're available. I'm regularly pasting text into vim, making quick edits and copying back to whatever I need.

Vim review by Leo C.

"The productivity tool"

What do you like best?

VIM it's an advanced text editor for developers and system administrators that are used to work with a terminal and without graphical environment. It has lots of commands to do the typical things with the keyboard instead of the mouse.

When you learn how it works, there no turning back

What do you dislike?

It's not easy to start, there are too much shortcuts to learn before a correct use, and sometimes it's a problem for much people

Recommendations to others considering the product

With VIM you can work as usual but faster and better. With the shortcuts you can do very fast changes in the plain text files

Basically I use to modify the configuration files of the servers that I manage and to see some files, like system logs of the Linux servers.

Vim review by Austin R.
Application Engineer, Backend
Internet

"Vim is my editor of choice"

What do you like best?

Vim is completely customizable! I can make it do whatever that I need it to do and having so many years behind it, it has little bugs. There is also a great community around it so most of the time, there is a plug in for what I need it to do. You can make it a full blown IDE or just simple. It all depends on your style of coding.

What do you dislike?

Vim is completely customizable. It's greatest feature is also its greatest downfall. It has a steep learning curve and set up to get going. Once you get going, then it becomes easy. VimL is also a pain to learn but then it clicks after a while.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you have been programming for a while, then I would recommend taking the vim dive. It can be a steep curve so it's best to get some practice. When you feel like giving up, ask for help. There is so many people that you can ask for help.

The ease of use is scale of "painful" at first but as you get going and customized to your needs, then it becomes delightful.

When I need an editor, I can always count on vim to do what I need it to do. It has given me the least of amount of trouble and is always installed on our servers when I need to view things or modify something on the fly.

Vim review by Jim Ryan Z.

"Most lightweight editor"

What do you like best?

What I like about Vim is that it's very lightweight and very customisable because of it's plugins. It also has support for code highlighting for various languages, skins and themes if you are into customisation. And because it is lightweight, it consumes just a little bit of your memory. THere's a ton of plugins that you can use that could be provided with by plugin bundlers like Vundle and the others.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about is the learning curve you need to have it work for daily use, there's a ton of shortcuts to memorize and be familiar with in order to use it with comfort. Vanilla VIM is also something you don't want to stick to since it's very bland and not that user friendly, you really need to customize it to your liking in order to get the best out of vim.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider it if you want to have a lightweight editor that you won't even need a mouse that much to use it. It's really great for web development stuff.

I use Vim as my primary editor at work as a Ruby on Rails and Javascript developer. It's syntax is just right to not use it with any IDE unlike other languages. The use of the mouse is one thing I've noticed significantly, I haven't used it that much because of the keyboard shortcuts used by Vim. It's also kind of cool to use an editor right in the terminal in my opinion, I mostly work with the terminal and just having it right there makes it's seamless for me to switch between different kinds of work.

Vim review by Rakesh K.
Consumer Electronics

"Vim review"

What do you like best?

Vim is a great text editor for linux. The shorthands makes it extremely useful to navigates, search, edit, copy, replace, paste, etc. Unlike a normal editor, we get to focus more time on the content rather than editing the code.

What do you dislike?

No automatic code correction or compiler unlike intellij or eclipse. If they could include suggestions or error handling suggestions, vim would be the top editor.

It would be great if they can support atleast major languages like C, C++, Java, Python with different color codes for variables, keywords, etc..

Recommendations to others considering the product

Must know for any linux user. Coding with vim will help you rather than the auto-completion editors.

Most of the company code I write is in vim. Source control like git is well integrated with vim and hence it is a top choice for most of the code I write. It is a must know for all linux users to realise the efficiency of linux.

Vim review by Tatevik B.
Ms.

"Old school and fastest editor of all time"

What do you like best?

Vim is the IDE I personally like the most. It's the fastest of all that have such great powerful functionality. It's being used both by developers and administrators, it's very convenient when you are remotely connected to the server. Once you get used to the commands I promise you'll not quit it. There are highlighting, autocomplete plugins available which I use. If you are new to Vim try "vimtutor" to get started. That's how I've learned it.

What do you dislike?

I personally don't like that for customization you have to use external plugins and also writing your own one can be tricky. It's also difficult for new learners, for example if you switch from another editor especially from GUI editor it will be extremely difficult to get used to it if don't have experience. Many people will just quit trying after 10 minutes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you feel courageous enough to try it you'll fell in love. It's free and I think it's a standard when you work remotely on the server. Even if you don't want to use it in your daily work, consider learning it as some time it may be useful for you especially if you work with servers or you work remotely.

I use Vim editor for my development under Linux, editing configs and other stuff while connected to servers via ssh and I'm very satisfied with the speed and ease of use (for me).

Vim review by Nuria V.
The productivity tool

"The productivity tool"

What do you like best?

- Without a doubt, the best thing to do is the command inputs that allow you to manipulate text in different files, always without the use of mouse.

What do you dislike?

- But once someone learns it, it becomes easy This is definitely not for everyone Vim is hard to learn and get used to

Recommendations to others considering the product

- Totally worth the effort to learn Just use it. Without previous knowledge, it's even hard to start actually writing something, or to quit the application

- And most of them use it Vim allows for rapid documentation, quick edits, and increased productivity I build and maintain software

Vim review by Greg G.
Co-Founder and CEO

"Vim is a tool you should know, but I don't think it's a tool I'd choose to use"

What do you like best?

It's installed everywhere there is a terminal. Great for working on computers that you don't have an environment for development set up on.

What do you dislike?

It is not as easy to use as a text editor or IDE. As someone who frequently makes typos, VIM is great when I need it, but not great otherwise. It's like coding with a pen and paper, to some degree. No autocomplete, no indentation help, no nothing. You should still learn it, though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn it - you'll use it if you're in the Software Dev field. I'd recommend using a text editor otherwise, though.

Coding on machines that I do not have my own environment on or making VERY fast edits to different files.

Vim review by User

"25 years and still the best!"

What do you like best?

Vim is a command line text editor, created after the original Vi software in 1991. You can find it -or some variant of it- in almost any modern Unix box around. It's not the kind of software you feel comfortable using since the first day: instead you need to read the manual and practice a lot. But this comes with a reward, you'll be editing your text files at the speed of light.

Features like repetitions, macro recording, counters... makes the most tedious tasks a little more enjoyable.

It's also a great tool for programming: not an IDE, but its syntax highlighting and programming language add-ons make it ideal for C/C++ coding.

And it's free! In both senses.

What do you dislike?

I don't think there's anything in Vim I dislike. It's got a steep learning curve, though, and even after years of use you still won't master all the features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

At first you may find Vim intimidating. Without previous knowledge, it's even hard to start actually writing something, or to quit the application. But, you know, ":help" is your friend, and the same application will teach you the basics to start moving around. If you don't give up, after some weeks you'll start feeling comfortable. Then, it's just a matter of keep improving!

We extensively use Vim at our company. It's a handy tool everybody has in their computer. And most of them use it. From tweaking some configuration file, viewing logs to writing small programs or scripts... and even to make text processing using the macro recording features. It's something used all the time, everyday.

Vim review by Trevor L.
Junior Quality Assurance Engineer
Hospital & Health Care

"It's Not As Scary As You Think"

What do you like best?

The biggest thing vim has over nano (and other CLI text editors I've used) is its lack of persistent control / nav bar. You have the entire terminal window at your disposal for editing, which I really appreciate. The common bash on vim is not knowing its commands, but once you learn how to enter INSERT mode, save, and quit, what else do you really need?

What do you dislike?

The obvious answer is the learning curve. Vim has a ton of stuff that I never use, that is practically impossible to discover yourself without extensive research. Considering the "How to exit VIM" question on Stackoverflow is apparently one of the most frequently viewed questions on the site is saying something about discoverability. (Hint, it's ' : ' to enter command mode, and q to quit)

Recommendations to others considering the product

The most important commands to learn are how to change modes, and how to quit with / without saving. There are of course tons of other features of VIM (there's a reason it's been around for over 2 decades), and you can look those up as you need them, but out of the box, the ease and simplicity of just opening a file, editing it, saving and quitting is way smoother with vim than any other CLI text editor I've used before.

I use Vim as an easy way to quickly edit files on a VPS. Plaintext files like env, conf, and plist files can quickly be edited without the need for git or FTP.

Vim review by User in Research

"Awesome application for a developer"

What do you like best?

I use VIM and gVIM most of the time of work time to develop code and it's really awesome.

First is hard to start, but when you use it during a few weeks you get totally addicted to their functions and posibilities. Without use the mouse, you can do whatever you want, copy and paste, highlight, delete parts, ident the code etc, and all of that, hundred times faster than using the mouse.

What do you dislike?

The only "but" of this program, is that you need a few weeks (or few months) to use it in "full mode", and even after a long time using it, always you can discover a new function that you don't know.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best production application ever. With vim you really can increase your production. Better than all IDEs of the market. It's totally recomendable, and it's for everybody that needs to modify files in computer; configuration files, code, websites etc.

It allow me to develop code, in a fast and comfortable way, with different tabs of code, and with a lot of options to edit it.

Vim review by Octavi p.

"The best text editing tool ever"

What do you like best?

I use the VIM for more than 10 years, and is a text editor with incredible potential, when you know how to use it, it has incredible functionality. Being able to use it without an X11 environment allows me to edit code wherever I can connect to SSH, in an agile and simple way. Without a doubt, the best thing to do is the command inputs that allow you to manipulate text in different files, always without the use of mouse.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is very large, there are many orders to learn and until it has not worked for a few days it is not useful, on the contrary, it gives more work than anything else, but once you master it it really reduces the time daily

Recommendations to others considering the product

I always recomends VIM to everybody because its the best text editor that you can use.

It basically allows me to edit code on different computers, connect to remote clusters and make changes to the code, configure system files, etc. Basically edit text files of all kinds and all languages

Vim review by Ivan R.
Software Engineer, web platforms

"Simple and fast"

What do you like best?

When you get used to use VIM as main IDE you move around the code much fast, you edit the code much faster, I tried to go back to other IDEs but I couldn't´t found the shortcuts and the well done way to interact with the code as VIM has.

What do you dislike?

Copy past outside vim is always a problem, there are some ways to fix this, but it doesn't came as default. Search is not always the best, but with some tweaks you can make it much faster.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The ramp up is really hard at the beginning, but after 1 or 2 month working with it everyday, you will start feel the advantages from it. After 4 or 5 month using it, you will love it!. Then you will realice that you can configure more and more VIM, so you will have your own vimrc file, with some plugings, some macro, same new key maps. You are now a Vim users, and you are not going to able to use another IDE again.

Productivity, I´m much more productive using this IDE. First at all, you have less distraction on the screen, you work ALWAYS in the terminal which is great, I don´t have to switch between apps when I have to do something, I have everything in the terminal which make my work much faster and organized. I can add macro to everything that I use often which follow the VIM ideology, that write less do more.

Vim review by Pilar M.

"Not just another text editor "

What do you like best?

VIM and GVIM are advanced text editors for advanced and not so advanced people. With VIM you can do whatever you need with the keyboard, without using mouse for anything; copy lines, move around the file, replace characters, etc, and with GVIM you can do the same, but with the help of the mouse to do some tasks and feel that you are working in Gedit or Notpead.

What do you dislike?

There are hundreds of keyboard options, that makes a bit difficult to start, and also after years using VIM some times you need to search in the shortcut list.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best plain text editor of Linux. It's fast and free.

With VIM you can increase your performance as a developer or administrator more than you can imagine.

I use vim for everything, edit configuration files, bash scripts and develop code.

Vim review by Jeremy F.
PhD Candidate
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Fantastic, extensible text editor for the terminal"

What do you like best?

While there is a learning curve for vim, it is incredibly intuitive and powerful once you get the hang of it. There are a number of great plugins. I use it for writing code and academic papers and I love it.

What do you dislike?

Base vim is bare bones, and it takes installing plugins like YouCompleteMe to make it powerful enough to replace an IDE.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Find a good online tutorial (like https://www.openvim.com/); with a good set of plugins vim is a wonderful replacement for any text editor and has many of the bells and whistles of any IDE.

Vim is available on every distribution of Linux, on servers or desktop. It keeps me in the terminal for nearly everything that I need to do and fits into my workflow seamlessly.

Vim review by Awanish K.
Lead Engineer

"Vim is among the best editors for developers"

What do you like best?

Vim has loads of features and customization tools for editing. Autocompletion, search, looking up the definition of a function (using tag file), multiple tabs, string replacement, smart indenting, keyword colours are the primary ones I use almost every day. Not to forget, vim has a good documentation to lookup when in doubt. On UNIX, it even allows seeing the man pages of functions we are using. Having multple modes like editing, command and visual are all good.

Editing huge files is supported by few editors and Vim is among them. I have used it to work with data file in a few Gigabytes.

What do you dislike?

The only issue with Vim is that the customization is all using the scripts and hence there is a learning curve involved. But once someone learns it, it becomes easy. There are lots of scripts already available on various websites, but probably there could be some direct links to youtube videos channels could be helpful. When most of the products have easy to use interfaces, being scripting only can be a restrictive proposition.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Among the best code editors available around, a must try. If the file to be edited is huge, there are just a few editors to support and Vim can become handly in those cases.

Faster coding is the primary benefit I get by using Vim. Along with other utilities like ctags, grep, sed Vim becomes a formidable tool. Autosaving is quite useful as it always keeps a backup of the previous opened version.

Vim review by Michael M.
Lab Proctor

"Always on the Keyboard"

What do you like best?

Vim is a great terminal based text editor. Though it has a bit of a steep learning curve for beginners, it has a lot of useful features once you learn it. The best trick about vim that I like (and probably wouldn't use without) is holding Alt with my thumb to use normal mode without hitting escape. I edit most of my small projects using Vim since it's fast and I can move around, modify, delete, search, and move things without ever leaving home row.

What do you dislike?

I was going to say I wish Vim had auto-completion or spell check, but there are plugins for both (spell check is actually built in but needs to be enabled).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start using it. It might be painful at first but it's great once you get it down.

Vim is great for scripting and small projects, and especially useful when you SSH. If you want to make it better for larger projects, you'll have to install some plugins for it. Without those plugins, I wouldn't use Vim for any medium or larger projects or large files since large scale navigation is not one of Vim's strong points (by default).

"Great text editor "

What do you like best?

Vim is very easy to use, and provides the user with many options to customize their user experience. There are many editor commands that allow the user to easily navigate through their document. It is also an extremely lightweight editor, ensuring that the user does not experience lag when viewing or editing their document.

What do you dislike?

Vim is hard to learn and get used to. The traditional vim editor does not allow the user to use their mouse to navigate through their document. However, this can be customized. If the user becomes comfortable navigating through the document without using a mouse, it can be faster than using a mouse.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vim has a steep learning curve, but is a great editor, and is worth the effort it takes to become familiarized with this editor.

Vim allows me to easily view and edit documents in terminal without opening up an external editor. I am able to develop code efficiently using this product. Because Vim is so lightweight, I don't need to worry about lag when viewing or editing my documents, or about the IDE crashing and losing my progress.

"Amazing text editor!"

What do you like best?

Vim is the best text editor for me. Since I work as software developer, I use VIM to write code, make files and all the stuff related with code developing. It's fast and there are hundreds of keyboard shortcuts to do all options to avoid the usage of mouse.

What do you dislike?

Everything is great in VIM, just as negative thing, needs lots of time to deal with all options that it has.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's the best text editor in all environments.

Basically I write code and Makefiles with VIM. It allows me to have different tabs with code, switching between them.

Vim review by Luca G.

"Best multi-purpose editor"

What do you like best?

- Multi-purpose. It's not limited to one programming language, it can handle it all.

- Multi-platform. I use it both on Linux and Mac OS

- Works great remotely. No need to set remote disk bindings, I use vim through an ssh connection.

- Vim is highly customizable, either by programming in vimscript or using plugins (see Vundle plugin manager).

What do you dislike?

- Performance is not great. It'd be great if vim was upgrade to make use of multi-processing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

1. Check out VIM plugins and the Vundle plugin manager.

2. Give VIM some time, the learning curve is very steep unfortunately, but you'll be so productive, it's unrealistic.

3. Vimgolf can help with the learning curve.

4. Every now and then, take the time to learn something new about vim. Updating your workflow will pay back.

- Vim is my first and unique text editor for anything, ranging from Python, Java, SQL, simple text files.

- After the initial steep learning curve, my productivity got drastically enhanced.

Vim review by Alba Samantha C.
SysAdmin & DBA

"Best editor for Linux Admin"

What do you like best?

What I like most is the amount of features it has, you can make complex edits with this editor. Allows you to use several shortcuts for editing.

Another advantage is the amount of documentation, the community is quite broad, it is an editor available for any Unix-based OS (AIX, HP-UX), Linux (Debian, RHEL, Open Suse), etc.

What do you dislike?

For novice users the learning curve is quite slow, it can be difficult at the beginning, because it's a different editor than the commons.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vim is an editor that at first may seem difficult to use, but with practice and constant use you can see that it is a very useful tool for editing with features that are not available in any editor.

It is the best editor I recommend for those who are in the world of server administration.

I use it constantly in my work in the administration of servers, to edit configuration files, scripts, etc., in the servers that I manage. I constantly use the search tool, replacing text using Regex.

I also used it on my personal machine for configuring the applications that I have to install, bash editing, etc.

Vim review by Josh T.
Web Developer

"An editor that's complex at first, but can very quickly be an integral part of your workflow"

What do you like best?

I like how efficient it is to use, once you've learnt the basics and more advanced features you will find that your writing code and using the shortcuts all become second nature. You gain a lot of efficiency from using all the shortcuts though, so they are well worth taking the time to learn.

It is also by far the most customisable editor that I have used. You can literally change everything, my favourite thing to customise is setting up keymaps that can perform multiple key press with just one.

What do you dislike?

It is a very daunting prospect opening up vim for the first time. You will struggle at first and it takes a lot of getting used to.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time learning everything first. I recommend watching the Vim series on laracasts.com. That helped me set everything up.

I do the majority of my code editing with vim, it is great as it's available to be used over SSH.

Vim review by Joel F.
Senior Pipeline Integrity Specialist

"Useful, but not for everyone."

What do you like best?

Very powerful text editing program which does not insert any special characters into the text.

What do you dislike?

This is definitely not for everyone. The program works best in text mode, so if you like working only with a mouse there are better programs than this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a text editor and are comfortable working in DOS mode, this is a great editor.

We need a text editor that does not insert any special characters, and this works very well for that.

Vim review by Jon J.
Sports

"A powerful but complex editor"

What do you like best?

VIM is a ubiquitous, lightweight, and immensely powerful editor. Just about every non-Windows environment will have VIM installed (and the Windows gVIM version is a quick free download). Once you learn the keyboard shortcuts, VIM allows you to navigate, search, and manipulate files more efficiently than any other editor. It's also highly configurable and has a huge collection of useful plugins.

What do you dislike?

While not necessarily a criticism, the learning curve for VIM is steep. Until learning a good portion of the commands, using VIM will likely slow you down. However, once you get up to speed it gives you more control than any other editor.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Thoroughly read a good tutorial (I recommend Daniel Miessler's) before trying to use it as your primary editor. Spending some time learning the commands upfront will prevent a lot of frustration.

VIM is my go-to editor when I need access to an editor from a terminal window. I use it regularly to edit files on a remote server.

Vim review by Prayash M.
Senior Software Engineer

"It's gets better with time. Built because we read more often that we write code"

What do you like best?

The shortcuts for everything and then they also configurable. You can add more according to your need. The coding community helps a lot with lot of plugins and scripts to just do about anything you want to. I was really sold on the idea that it let's you hack together your own IDE than just using one everyone else uses.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve. It is steep. If you just try to mug up all those shortcuts, it is going to be very difficult to work with the code. Found some easy vim talks which explained that how closely vim commands are related to what exactly they do.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Vim can be intimidating with the steep learning curve, but don't worry. You can use it howsoever you please. They are lot of plugins, use them. Remember, all the commands mean something, they relate to the action they perform.

I read, edit and write code with this tool.

Vim review by Sky L.
Senior DevOps Engineer
Retail

"Everything you need, and more!"

What do you like best?

Flexible, extendible and ubiquitous in Linux. Vim has all the bells and whistles of other IDE's and can be configured to be a truly powerful code editor. Once tweaked to your preferences it is a joy to work with and because it's available on most Linux systems it helps do know how to use the tool effectively.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is a bit steep, pasting can be a pain until configured properly. It's also really hard to escape... I have been using it so long now that get frustrated using any other editor that maps keys differently.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it! It's the best thing ever.

As a Linux Engineer I have used Vim on a daily basis for years. Even though I don't find myself editing files on systems very often anymore (what with configuration management systems and all), I still use Vim for all my coding in Shell, Python, Ruby, etc...

Vim review by User

"I changes the experience of coding and programming for me"

What do you like best?

How in a single terminal I can write, edit, compile and debug my codes.

I do not need to open multiple tabs in other text editors, all could be done in one simple terminal

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately it is not possible to move to the location of interest just by using the mouse cursor and clicking there

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is important to know the rules of it and the hotkeys before jumping into using it, other wise it will get very disappointing experience and you will not continue on using it

I am a programmer, and I use vim to code, and compile my programs specially on a cluster, where there is no GUI for text editors like gedit

Vim review by Andrew H.
Research

"A no frills text editor that is easily accessbile from the terminal"

What do you like best?

I like the key bindings that allow for quick and efficient manipulation of my code. I find it very convenient that you can use vim to easily read and modify files without leaving the terminal.

What do you dislike?

There is a steep learning curve to learn the keybindings. It will take some practice if a user is unfamiliar with using the keyboard to navigate their code instead of the mouse. Finding the best configuration and plugins for a workflow can be daunting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are a lot of choices for code editors, Vim is one of the most lightweight and easily accessible. With the correct plugins and configuration, Vim is competitive against even IDE's.

I use vim daily for code development and code reviews. The real benefit for me is that it allows a simple interface to my code that is not prone to crashing or using up system resources like some of the full fledged IDE's on the market.

Vim review by Noah H.
CTO

"Speed, extensibility and accessibility at its finest."

What do you like best?

Vim is available cross platform and cross protocol, so whether accessing through a GUI or over SSH, Vim provides the same stellar experience. Installing Vim plugins is a breeze and customizing the look and function of one's Vim installation takes one as far as one wishes to go.

What do you dislike?

Vim does have a steep learning curve and active Googling will be required for a while. Vanilla Vim is also bland and lacking critical features that would be pleasant if they came bundled. Luckily, plugins can take care of all of these needs or a quick addition to one's config file, but for a new user, this may be very off putting.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Once you are past the initial learning experience, you will greatly appreciate the massive speed increases and robust community support. If vanilla Vim doesn't provide all the features you need, you can almost certainly find a plugin which will fulfill that requirement. If one isn't working with coding languages though, but rather markup (e.g. HTML) or other data formats, Vim may not be the best option and a tool such as Visual Studio Code or another may suit your workflow the best.

Vim enables rapid development in a heavily self-customized environment while ensuring all team members can rapidly resolve issues on a server or locally. It also is inherently productive and fast, so coding and debugging are greatly improved. It also works very well with tools like tmux making it a perfect editor for virtually any team that has to deal with servers in some capacity.

Vim review by User in Consumer Goods

"VIM -- Not the original VI, but a very close approximation"

What do you like best?

Supports all of the features I've tried of the original VI editor (as an old time Unix user, this is appreciated! Including keyboard mapping, ex/ed subcommands, etc.) I find versions for all Linux distros (I've not found it installed by default anywhere), Mac OSX, and Windows. I can still do all my editing without taking my hands off the keyboard.

What do you dislike?

Colors. Not sure why people feel the need to go crazy with colors (most default VIM instances have colors that work horribly for text on black...) Keep in mind that "new" users to VIM will find VI's command modes cryptic and odd. Especially if they've only used window based editors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Keep in mind that VIM (or VI) has a steep learning curve, but becoming "basically" functional doesn't take too long. If you've only used window based editors, not using a mouse may be confusing. However, VIM/VI will work on any machine, have the same behavior and can save you when you can only remotely get into a machine. It's 100% work the effort for anybody managing or using Linux/Unix machines.

I want a consistent editor available on all my machines. Having VIM on Linux boxes greatly helps because it's one less context switch when going from machine to machine.

Vim review by Sam B.
Instructor
Higher Education

"Worth the learning curve"

What do you like best?

I started using vim about 5 years ago. I made a commitment to learn the basics, and have been growing that knowledge over time. I can type code in vim faster than people who are much faster typists than me in other editors. Staying on the keyboard is the key to efficiency.

What do you dislike?

Really only that I haven't learned it all yet. I know there is more power in vim than I currently leverage, but I haven't taken the time to commit it all to muscle memory.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Totally worth the effort to learn. And it can boost your feeling of self-superiority :)

I build and maintain software. vim is my friend on my local Ubuntu machine, my home OSX machine, and on our remote servers that run our code. one environment everywhere.

Vim review by Suman R.
QA Tester
(10,001+ employees)

"Best coding editor I have seen till now"

What do you like best?

I prefer using VIM as my default text editor because it is very lightweight although I have added many external plugins in it. It provides easy navigation in the code and replacing the existing code. It works with major languages such as Python and Javascript, which I use the most in my coding for providing the syntax highlighter to correct the errors. It also has very fast access without requiring the mouse when compared to ATOM. Connection through SSH is excellent for remote systems. It is an open source text editor and has a large user community backing it up.

What do you dislike?

It lacks somewhere in the color-coding for programming text and requires extensive settings for that. In order to use it in the most effective way, one has to know the shortcuts and other commands well before using it, so it will definitely take some time to become an expert in using VIM.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to have a light weight Code editor, then VIM is an excellent option. Before started jumping on directly on using it, spend some time on its tutorial program to get familiar with its shortcuts and other commands.

I use VIM for writing my test cases and editing the existing code and it saves a lot of time by using the shortcuts available in VIM. It is quite convenient for me when it comes to searching for folders and directories for source code files using VIM. I work on Client’s remote systems to modify the existing code with the help of VIM editor.

Vim review by Miguel M.
Customer Service Engineer
Machinery

"Vim is an easy and efficient way to review and modify code"

What do you like best?

It is very quick and low resources consuming piece of software. It represent clearly all the text that I need to review and also a quick shortcut to modify code.

What do you dislike?

It has a steep learning curve in order to fully take benefit of all its features. A novice user can find it complicated but when you start learning all the usual shortcuts you can edit quickly code and also plain text.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend VIM to encrypt files. It is very easy to apply encrypt functions via the command line interface which is very useful if there is only remote access to some machine through SSH and such.

I am trying to automate several process in my day to day work. Some times I use it to modify plain text, it does not need to open in a graphical user interfac (GUI) mode.

Vim review by James H.
Internet

"Vim is a must know for linux developers"

What do you like best?

It's ready to go on linux and mac. Just paste in your dot file and you're straight up and running with your editor set how you like it. If you've never used it, it's worth learning just for fun, too, because it is such a different way of working with text that you'll be amazed by the features.

What do you dislike?

It needs to come with config package manager for installing and setting up your environments how you like it with a guide, rather than having to spend days researching plugins and settings to build your effective dot net file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Learn it even if you don't intend to use it in the long term. One day you'll benefit greatly by not having to install any software just to be able to edit files on a server.

It's free, so it saves money. It's quick and easy, so there's less time required to set it up for new users. It's simple so there's no errors and glitches to fix unlike normal software. I've benefited from all three in every job I've had. Most importantly speed, because I hate setting up IDEs and mapped drives.

Vim review by Lokesh Y.