Vagrant Reviews & Product Details

Vagrant Overview

What is Vagrant?

Create and configure lightweight, reproducible, and portable development environments.

Vagrant Details

Vagrant Screenshots

Vagrant Reviews

Showing 30 Vagrant reviews
Already have Vagrant?
What do you like best?

This platform will allow you to perform functions for the development of your WEB page, improve your document management and you will be able to automate virtual machines, the system and tools are attractive because we can improve and create the page with programming languages. performed by a virtual machine avoiding throwing errors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is necessary to have technical experience, the learning curve is very long, I have required to call support to give me a hand with the configurations, it is not a simple software and you need support help to install and adapt it, in order to understand the system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a technical experience or someone who can guide you with this platform, I would recommend it otherwise, since it is not so easy to learn, it requires a lot of time.

I recommend virtual machines and web systems in order to improve our page and give favorable results in this way we are happy, I recommend them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I can be more flexible with my work since it allows me to automate the machines and focus on the time saved in other tasks that require it, such as in the development of my WEB pages, in addition to the tools that allow editing in order to offer an automated website and attract new users and sales, I like the system and effective tools, nothing simple but useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Developer
What do you like best?

I really loved Vagrant when I used it to reproduce a Virtual machine with PHP 5.3, which were no more downloadable or easily configured in my local machine.

I found a great pack with all I needed (PHP 5.3 and Apache ), it's also highly customizable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There aren't things I dislike about Vagrant, I found it really useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As I described before, I needed an environment I couldn't reproduce on my computer anymore due to compatibility, Vagrant helped a lot with a premade box with exactly what I needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

This software is a marvel of modern computing. Never before has it been so easy to develop in multiple environments on just one pc or laptop. With a simple two word command, a virtual machine is created and launched. Vagrant goes out to the cloud and retrieves the chosen OS allowing for the developer to concentrate on the project rather than wasting extra time maintaining copies of development OSs and doing manual installations. This also makes it very easy to have the same development variables on multiple machines for multiple team members. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it is not more widely used. I also dislike How technical and complicated it looks at first glance. Vagrant is actually very simple to grasp a decent understanding rather quickly. The average user can be up and be running with Vagrant with minimal effort contrary to what a quick overview might lead to sugest. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Vagrant allows us to set up the exact same development situation for multiple remote working team members. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UA
What do you like best?

Provision a virtual machine mimicking your production environment in minutes. Or, should you need, easily integrate with third-party plugins and perform advanced customizations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When compared to Docker, swapping out components within your stack is a bit tedious. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are plenty of tools out there to make provisioning a bit easier Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Vagrant to run our local development virtual machines since it uses less resources on our hosts than Docker. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Full Stack Developer
What do you like best?

Vagrant makes creating Virtual Machines super easy. Vagrantfiles can be fully customized for any operating system and can integrate with provisioning software such as Chef and Ansible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Slight learning curve but there is lots of examples and documentation Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it. You will enjoy how simple Vagrant makes things. waste less time setting up so that you can spend more time developing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recreate customized virtual environments easily for anyone on the team to work on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Vice presidente
What do you like best?

Easy to manage a virtual machine and scriptigin that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

People is ignoring vagrant for docker and abandoning the support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check the vagrantfile to customize the settings of the environment Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Install and configure a VM ready to develop automatically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Web Developer
Internet
What do you like best?

The ability to distribute a configured environment to a group of people for development, QA, or general consistency Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The initial configuration takes a long time to get right, but once done right, it's perfect. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it, I'd probably get started with something like PuPHPet or chef, to build your vagrantfile.

As soon as you pick it up from those services, look into building your own vagrant files as you'll get more flexibility out of them Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In most dev houses, you'll always have inconsistency issues between developer's local environments which, at one point or another which cause an issue. With Vagrant boxes, this issue is completely eliminated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

DevOps Manager
What do you like best?

I work at the command line every day. I develop in Linux, but have a Mac laptop. I use Vagrant to do all of my development.

How does that work out? On the whole pretty great. Here's what I like:

* Spinning up my development box is as simple as "vagrant up", getting in there is as simple as "vagrant ssh"

* Vagrant boxes are specified in Vagrantfiles, where you describe what steps to do when you make a new one. At this point I have codified most of what I need to spin up a new vagrant box in my Vagrant file. New computer? I'm up and running in a few minutes.

* Vagrant allows us to test out all our builds in a fully virtualized environment on developer laptops. It's actually kinda beautiful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have only one complaint about Vagrant, and to be honest this complaint is largely related to my own misuse of the tool:

If you power off your laptop at the wrong time, it is possible for a Vagrant image to become corrupted. I lost two development boxes to this (in both cases it was when I had to hold the power button because Mac OS locked up for unrelated reasons). It sucks, but that said, it also enforces a mode of thinking around ephemeral machines that I find very helpful. Both times I've lost a vagrant dev box, I've spent some time making my Vagrantfile better so getting back to speed is increasingly painless Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want interactive, command line virtual images this is basically what you should do. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are streamlining our developer experience, and brining usable virtualization to developers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead Web Engineer
Internet
What do you like best?

Vagrant is much better than trying to run a production-like stack directly on your local machine, especially once you factor in complications like working with a team of developers who run different OSes. Vagrant was a game changer that revolutionized many aspects of software engineering workflow and is still a useful tool with a barrier to entry that isn't prohibitively high. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's so unbelievably slow. The rate of development is absolutely glacial. Massive bugs go unfixed and/or unreleased for several months at a time. That wouldn't be so bad if there were an easy way to switch to a development branch of the program, but there isn't. It doesn't scale as a solution: you either have to have several massive VMs installed side-by-side to keep environments discreet or you need to have to use one extra-monolithic VM that has all your environments colocated, which just moves the technical debt Vagrant was meant to solve off of your host machine and into a guest VM. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to learn docker properly. You might still use vagrant, but in most cases docker is far superior to vagrant in terms of speed, reliability, development, and team collaboration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Many of the engineers use vagrant to host their local development environments. It's been helpful for at least getting most development environments to match each other, if not production itself. It also sometimes results in faster onboarding, although it has also been known to cause enormous problems with the same process through obscure bugs specific to various OS configurations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder and Chief Technology Officer
What do you like best?

It's awesome to be able to do my development locally with whatever configuration I need. I can shut it down when I'm not using it and switch between boxes quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are a lot of moving pieces. Do have to decide if you're using shell scripts, puppet, ansible, chef or whatnot. I find it difficult to get it to work on local domains (http://project.app/) so I end up using a custom port which prevents me from running more than one at a time (using the same configuration). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's free so give it a shot. If you're building with PHP I'd recommend checking out https://puphpet.com/ or http://phansible.com/ which makes setting up your box easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Previously I did all of my development on a remote VPS using ExpanDrive to mount the remote SSH as a local drive. Over the years this has become more fragile and in many cases the latency has gotten to be too much for me. I love being able to have everything local.

Prior to working with the VPS/ExpanDrive workflow, I'd do local development with a local web server and database. That sucked as well because if I wasn't doing development it was still running. It also meant that all my apps needed to use the same stack and the same PHP versions.

Vagrant makes this easier because if I have a project that requires PHP 5.2 and another that I'm building with PHP 7 it's all good. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I was a developer who doesn't know the concept of DevOps. Before using Vagrant, occasionally, I was annoyed by some linux configuration, by IDE setup, by repeat LAMP stack configuration, but I had the feeling that something was wrong: there should be a better way to do it.

Until starting using Vagrant and hashicorp's other tools, such as packer, I began to know another world: DevOps.

So,

the "everything should be automatic" pattern in my brain, was developed by Linux user experience + Vagrant( hashicorp) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am currently satisfied by Vagrant and hashicor's other tools. They are good! Once you learn the "DevOps" pattern from these tools, you will be good to go for any "automatic" patterns. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am a deveopler and use vagrant in both my work and my home projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

VP Engineering
What do you like best?

Some of my favorite days are spent iterating machine configurations using Vagrant. I make a change, build the VM, test it out, and destroy the VM fearlessly. It's so much better than working on real production systems or even manually building and rebuilding VMs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have encountered some compatibility issues with ancient versions of Linux, but I was able to resolve them by stepping back a few versions of Vagrant. Given the combinatorial explosion of OSes, OS versions, virtualization tools, etc. it's a wonder there aren't more issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Updating and installing software on Linux servers. Vagrant gives me a sandbox to try out changes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I love that everything is stored in plain text, so you can share your provisioning file and use version control software like Git. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Repackaging boxes can be very challenging and I think it should be further improved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Vagrant for setting up my development environment by modifying the Vagrantfile, which can later be shared with the other members of the team. That ensure that we all use the same, or at least very similar, machine configurations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UX Manager & Web Developer
Internet
What do you like best?

Ease of getting all developers using the same environment Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not easy for beginners to make changes on how a machine is setup Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it but be prepared for a steep learning curve if you ever must make changes or troubleshoot anything. I would recommend viewing existing projects using vagrant on version control networks. There is a lot that can be gained by reading through vagrant files that other's have been using and tweaking successfully for some time. Experiment with changes and do not be afraid to break things. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ability for developers to run same environment minimizes bugs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founding Partner and Creative Director
Graphic Design
What do you like best?

Vagrant takes much of the guesswork out of creating new virtual machines for development, allowing for quick port and volume mapping, system provisioning, and replication. With good documentation, a great collection of prebuilt configurations, and a community that willingly provides support, Vagrant is an invaluable tool for our workflow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Vagrant sometimes hides more than it should, making it difficult for technically competent users who are new to the platform to identify where and how things are working. With a little bit of work it's possible to become familiar, but it could be easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Vagrant is a great first step when moving your software development workflow into the world of virtualization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Vagrant to create easily replicable server environments for the software that we build and deploy. It allows us to easily on-board new developers, ensuring that all project participants are using a consistent environment and toolkit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freelance Web Developer
What do you like best?

Vagrant allows you to have a development environment on a virtual machine that can be configured and shared with others. It allows multiple developers to work on the same environment without having to spend time configuring each machine every other time.

It helps developers to maintain the same level of configuration and all it takes are a few commands and you are good to go. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Initially, it was quite difficult to get the networking right because I didn't have much experience with proxying to the virtual machine. This was a little difficult to setup so it took some time before I got used to it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is really difficult to start with and takes time to learn how to configure a vagrant machine but once you get the hang of it you could be saving a lot of hours for you and your team.

This is a necessary tool for any team working on a web platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Every developer has his or her own machine that could be a mac, windows or a linux machine. Getting the same environment for a particular server side programming language is difficult especially if you are on a windows machine, vagrant solves this problem by creating a virtual machine that can be run on every machine with the same specs so everyone has the same machine running during development.

Also Laravel Homestead makes use of vagrant, which makes it easy for anyone to bootstrap a laravel project really fast. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Solution Consulting-Consultant II, Technology Consulting APJ (APJ)
What do you like best?

it is easy to build the system to ready for everyone Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Right now I have no any dislike point to mention Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This software is useful to create, configure the development environment Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Reduce the routines to set up every machine to be the same Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Web Programmer
Internet
What do you like best?

Fast setup for development environment. I'm using this to develop Laravel app. The Laravel official website provide us a Vagrant config file for us. I download the config file and run a command, then I can start to develop Laravel project, without any extra configuration needed. Very convenient!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The drawback is, it consume a lot more memory as it require to run an virtual image. I'm using MacBook Air with 4GB RAM, the machine most of the time will lag, and it's not sufficient to run 2 virtual image at same time! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Vagrant can save your time for setting up an development environment. For a company, it only need to create a config file, all the developers will just download the file and run a command, the environment will be exactly the same for all developers here. Thus it can avoid version error or any other inconsistency. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web development for cloud base system Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Frontend Developer
Design
What do you like best?

The fact that is just so simple and easy to use, yet it's very effective. In my previous workflow, I would just download an Linux image, set it up on virtual box, install everything I need for a given setup, and just than I would be able to work. With vagrant as easy as "vagrant up", I have all this process automated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Now that I'm used to it, I can get a vagrant machine setup really quick. But I believe for a beginner that setup my not be so easy. Other than that, can't think of anything else I dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Even though the first few steps might seem hard, please don't give up, because vagrant is totally worth it, and once you get the basics it will for sure be worth it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Setting up development environment sometimes is a pain. There is just so many versions of so many software we have to install, and then there is environment variables, vpn access, proxies, etc. Usually, in the previous company I used to work, a developer would need at least 2 days, just to setup his machine and get to actually code some work. Right now, he can just start right away!

Another scenario vagrant has helped me was with my free lance works. If I wanted to get another dev setup, with different softwares/technologies, vagrant helps me deal with this very well by separating an specific machine to each project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Analista de Gestion TIC
What do you like best?

Vagrant is fantastic, it allows you to create and configure virtual development environments with popular virtualization software like Virtualbox or VMware. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Vagrant is written in ruby so an update of the ruby interpret might ruin your current installation of Vagrant Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Some people say that Docker is better than vagrant, but its an apples to oranges comparison.

Vagrant is a tool for managing virtual machines. Docker is a tool for building and deploying applications by packaging them into lightweight containers. A container can hold pretty much any software component along with its dependencies, and execute it in a guaranteed and repeatable runtime environment. This makes it very easy to build your app once and deploy it anywhere - on your laptop for testing, then on different servers for live deployment etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

1. Easy provisioning of Virtual Development Environments

2. Keep development as close to the production environment as possible

3. Help our developers to acquire DevOps knowledge

4. Easiness to try new things without fear of breaking the environment because we can rollback to it's starting point Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I really enjoy being able to sandbox my prototyping. Vagrant allows me to test things out with out having to worry about dependency conflicts between separate projects. I also like that I can spin up several boxes at one time from a single file. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am not a fan of ruby or chef so I rarely leverage the full power of provisioning that vagrant offers. I also often run into networking conflicts when using vagrant. partially that is because I work remotely and use vpn while using vagrant. I also do not like the verbosity by default of standard out with the 'vagrant up' command Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just start using it. Most people already have VirtualBox running on their local machines already and vagrant is really just a wrapper for spinning up virtual machines and then configuring them. It will keep your code cleaner if you develop locally on your descktop Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Prototyping. Instead of having to spin up several vms at work to test a few things out, I can just use vagrant instead. It helps me get started quicker. It also allows our team to easily share configs (Vagrant files). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

freelancer
Internet
What do you like best?

Vagrant is just great, i need my windows enviroment for .net and some app's that only runs in windows, and also i'm a web developer, so i need a linux enviroment, With vagrant in less than 30 mins of configuration your software is up and running, ready for all your needs, that's a great thing here, also, it's very configurable, a big advantage is that console mode without gui leads to a low consumption of ram memory, that's a big plus here, the sandbox is great in order to make proof of concept of your software, when you need to play with something you know you can break, it's your best choice, you can always delete your sandbox and no problem Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The fact that still requires a bit of configuration, that thing still can be improved here, i think that should be sandboxes that come with all stuff configured there, it could be a big plus. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think that vagrant is a great tool that just do the job, think other people should give a try on this, not because i say it, just because it works, and works very well, it's a sandbox with a linux enviroment that could be made with the flavour you want, it works nice, think of it as your own virtualized server. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Well as a Senior CakePHP developer i need a linux sandbox to get my work done, it's a big plus. i need a quick sandbox to make test, and have this as my main option, the Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr. Software Developer
Management Consulting
What do you like best?

Its ease of maintaining an environment is the best thing to count with. One can have a newly installed environment at the distance of a command line, as well as destroyed and reinstalled. At the end of the day, the dev machine leaves no trace of whatever experiment we might have performed during the day, avoiding a lot of complications and risks that a common development machine might suffer from being tinkered with during a normal day of work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It takes a quite steep learning curve in order to get up and running with Vagrant solution. To make simple things as to install an operational system from scratch is as easy as pie, but to have an entire topology readily available one needs to spend quite a lot of time to make the configurations, which are nothing but pure scripts. Unless one counts with some orchestration support tools, such as Puppet or Chef, there surely is gonna be a whole lot of scripting to do in order to have a more than simple solution ready for deployment at your company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a solution that requires a lot of tooling to be installed and configured at your customers or personal servers, perhaps it's time to take a look at Vagrant. With simple commands you can have the entire environment ready for deployment without suffering the threat of differences in the environments. Your dev team will no longer give you the classic: "but in my machine it works!" kind of excuse! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed to have many hardware that we built ourselves promptly factory installed with our operational system and solutions. As said before, prior to using Vagrant, we'd have to maintain our OS version, which consisted of a Fedora specially compiled and maintained by us as well as a package management tool, which generated a whole lot of work. Vagrant came into rescue for that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

100% customizable. Easy to put into place. Lots of great recipes through google searches. Great community. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Can be processor and memory intensive. Make sure you have a beefy computer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Dev environments are easily shared amongst many people in a single team. Help to eliminate the "Works for me" mentality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Cloud Consultant
What do you like best?

Vagrant is possibly the tool that has improved my way of working most for the last few years.

I like that it is easy to spin up a new environment, and that you can share your virtual machines with others.

Testing some new software? I do it in vagrant! Finished testing? delete the machine. No more messing around with my local system or having a bunch of software installed unnecessary.

The fact that it supports different virtualization technologies is a huge plus, for instance is use vmware fusion to provide nested virtualization to test out cloud solutions through vagrant. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Someimes a full vm is too much, docker integration would make this tool truly perfect. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is not much to consider, just do it, you won't regret it. Once you go Vagrant you don't go back! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Primarly testing and development. It is easy to provide everyone with the same environment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Vagrant?