4.3 out of 5
Do you work for Toggl?

Toggl Reviews & Product Details

Toggl review by Tiffany H.
Freelance Writer
(Myself Only)

"Great time tracking tool for freelancers"

What do you like best?

Toggl is a really straightforward way to track your time when you are doing freelance work. It was really user-friendly and helped me to see how I could be more efficient with my time as well as how much I should charge for my services. It also helped me track how much time I spend on non-work tasks, such as homeschool. I also like that it allows me to create and track specific client projects, tag my projects so that I can find them more easily, and gain access to helpful reports.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything I disliked. I only tried the free version, so I wasn't able to try out all of the features. However, that has more to do with my budget than anything else.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would say to just try it out. There is a free version, so it's not like you will lose any money if you decide it's not what you need. However, if it is something you need, it could be very helpful and provide you with great insight.

I honestly had no clue how I was spending my time. I didn't know how long it took to complete certain business tasks. Now I have a better idea, which not only helps me to plan out my workday better, but helped me decide how much to charge for my services and how many clients I could realistically work with each month.

What is Toggl?

Toggl is an online tracking too for freelancers, consultants, and small companies. It allows users to track the time spent on projects and analyze productivity.

Toggl Screenshots

Toggl Reviews

1-50 of 403 total Toggl reviews

Toggl Reviews

1-50 of 403 total Toggl reviews
Toggl review by Brooke B.
PR + Social Media Strategist

"Streamlined time tracking for your whole team"

What do you like best?

I used to jot down my start and stop time on scraps of paper, which I would regularly lose. Toggl makes it so easy to track my time spent on each project, and gives me visibility into my team's time logs, too, with robust reports to better understand how our time is spent. It even works offline. It's very intuitive and easy to add new projects and clients. And there is far more functionality beyond time tracking that I haven't even tapped into yet!

What do you dislike?

More color options for projects & clients

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's free! At first I thought it would be a hassle to transition to this from my method of time tracking on paper, but once you get used to it, it's literally as easy as a few clicks. Now Toggl is always open in my browser and I use it every day.

With Toggl I gain visibility into how my time is spent, which helps me improve my productivity and understand how much time is involved in certain types of projects, which ultimately puts me in a better position to estimate new project rates and requirements more accurately.

Toggl review by Anne Z.
Founder
Market Research

"A very useful tool"

What do you like best?

Toggl is easy to use, flexible, has an attractive and clean user interface and provides a powerful set of tools. Using Toggl has made it much easier for me to visualize where my work time goes, as well as helping me better manage clients' projects.

What do you dislike?

It's easy to forget to clock in and clock out of Toggl. I'd like to see, let's say a floating timer button which reminds you to check out when you're done.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Toggl's not completely mature, so you may want to play with it before you use it as a backbone of your business. Also, my instinct is that it will work best for very small businesses (e.g. one to five employees), as I don't know how scalable its functions are. That being said, particularly if you are a freelancer, I suggest you dive right in and give the free version a try-out.

Be sure to create project categories immediately or you won't learn as much as you might like about your time. Also, if you're in a business (such as law) where producing fine-grained reports on your use of time is important, you'll probably need the paid version.

I manage multiple client projects at any one time, and before I began using Toggl it was hard to tell where my time was going. Since beginning to use Toggl I've learned a lot about where my time is going and have been able to tweak my routines for the better.

Toggl review by Marshall H.
Product Specialist

"Brilliant. "

What do you like best?

Toggl makes it simple to track your digital time and gives you control over every aspect of how you’d like to track it. Categorize the time into projects, use tags to sort them later in reporting, and give them descriptions to remind yourself what you were doing. After tracking once, simply click the play button to start tracking new time using it as a template. It’s cross platform and works in the browser, on the desktop, and on mobile. One word: Brilliant.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a better timer view in the desktop and browser apps; possibly a full screen option. I like keeping a tab open to track my time and would love a bigger view of the counter in order to see my progress at a glance in my second monitor.

Toggl is extremely useful and gives me the ability to understand where my day is going and what projects I’m working on the most. It’s given me an overview of my time in reporting so I can learn where to be more efficient and where my processes can improve. As the saying goes, “Time is money.”

Toggl review by Marissa R.
Chapter Consultant
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Effectively Manage Your Time and Projects"

What do you like best?

Whether you're looking for a digital time sheet, or are looking to a time management platform, Toggl is the software for you! There was a point in time where the organization had used Toggl as a way to track employee time, and the platform allowed management to easily collect a time sheet and evaluate working hours. On the otherhand, Toggl can easily be used as a time management tool to see where you are allotting your time for a project, or generally speaking throughout a give time period. The collection of data is easy to filter and export.

What do you dislike?

Toggl can at times be tedious until a user is in the swing of documenting their day throughout. The timer feature is useful to get the most accurate calculation of time spent on different areas of the day, but again, unless you're in the habit of hitting "start" and "stop" it's hard to keep up with at times.

Toggl is giving employees a realistic picture of how their time is spent during the day. It allows management to delegate more effectively and work in a more collaboratively as a department or entire organization.

Toggl review by Joey H.
Project Manager

"Time Tracking w/ Superior Reporting & Project Management"

What do you like best?

Toggl has so many little features rolled into it that just help to make a Project Manager's life easier. It has the basic time tracking abilities you'd expect from any competing software, but then goes a step further with Projects featuring tasks, that you can then mark as completed to avoid mistracking time on a project. A step even beyond that, Toggl features robust reporting so that you can easily see where time is going for your team. Tracking every second of our employee's time has never been a critical part of our business goals, but the ability to look back and see how long specific parts of projects generally tend to take is invaluable in the proposal writing process of any business.

What do you dislike?

It can be too constraining at times, and a little too "free range" at other times. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, but there is a wide margin for terminology differing based on the individual. I can't really imagine this software being super scalable for teams larger than 20-30 people as a result of the drastic variances or necessary internal guidelines for tracking tasks/marking descriptions.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Track everything and set stuff up at as granular a level as will be beneficial for reporting. You'll thank yourself later when you're looking back or trying to weigh the success of a project.

Easily keeping track of our time spent on projects. Quickly able to check metrics when it comes to time spent by our employees. And has been super clutch when it comes to tracking time for projects that are based on an hourly retainer.

Toggl review by Eric S.
Chief Operating Officer

"Toggl is the Best Timekeeper for Personal or Team Use"

What do you like best?

I love the ease of starting/stopping the timer and all its integrations: Chrome plugin, Siri Shortcuts, Asana.

What do you dislike?

I don't like their mobile app as much as their desktop experience. It's harder to run reports and categorize timers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use all their integrations and plugins. I love using the Chrome plugin, Siri shortcuts, and Asana for task logging. For example, I have a Siri Shortcut that when I click on it from my widgets' window, it asks me what I'm working on, I choose a topic, and then it starts the timer for me without having to open the app. Another way I use it is in Asana. The Chrome plugin makes it integrate within each task of Asana, so I just click on the Toggl logo next to my task, it asks me to choose a category, and boom! It's tracking my time for that task.

I'm solving the problem of not knowing what I did that day and how to optimize my time. It also allows me to optimize my other teammates' time.

Toggl review by Creig N.
TDY Reservations Tools and Technology -Operational Products
Airlines/Aviation
(10,001+ employees)

"Easy and efficient way for time keeping"

What do you like best?

One of the things I liked about this was the desktop app. It easily integrated with my outlook calendar and helped to pre-populate and time scheduled meetings and events. Additionally the desktop application will detect when you've been inactive and there is a timer running allowing you to keep or discard the time. Reports are easy to generate and see where your time is spent.

What do you dislike?

So I know the goal is to try and keep you doing one task at a time. The problem is that in my job I am constantly multi-tasking. Getting interrupted for a quick discussion on a project while I am working on another task, or in some cases while I am working through lunch. While I can go in and manually adjust the tasks so they reflect the overlap, I wish there were a way to keep multiple timers running at the same time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This really is a great tool if you need to track time spent on projects. I have recommended this to people who also need to expense their time for certain projects. I actually have my sister using toggl while she is earning her hours in her internship. It's been a great tool for me and I will continue to use.

It was an easy way for my team to track project time and individual workloads. In only a month we were able to provide easy reports to our senior leadership that all of us had waaaay too much on our plates and that we needed additional headcount. As a result we were able to re0distribute the work on our team so that we were not feeling overloaded and we were able to be more efficient at the tasks we were assigned.

Toggl review by Thomas W.
CTO
Media Production

"Best timer application and service, hands down."

What do you like best?

The style, the functionality, the absolute ease of use in making sure that every minute of my freelance and contractor work gets tracked and reported so that I can get paid!

What do you dislike?

There are times that I forget to turn the time off. This isn't really a huge deal as Toggl emails you to remind you that a timer is still running, but by this point I have gone to bed and end up just stopping the timer and manually editing it the next morning to be the correct stop time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get it on your mobile phone and use it always. If you don't track your time for work, how can you expect to get paid?! This app is available across the board. I have it installed on every device I use for work (that includes my tablet) and even though I only open it rarely on mobile, when I do use it, I'm extremely grateful it was available.

Tracking my time to get paid. This app is even used to track my downtime so that I don't spend too long not working during the main hours of the day. Recently I have also started using it to manage my gaming time and writing time when I have to work on new blog articles (even though these hours do not get turned in, but are mainly for personally reporting purposes).

Toggl review by Rebecca M.
Freelance Creative

"Great for tracking freelance hours by project"

What do you like best?

I use Toggl to track how many hours I work per project. I like how easy it is to clock in and designate which project I am adding hours on. At the end of the week, I check my total clocked hours.

What do you dislike?

It could be a bit more organized. It would be nice to be able to separate projects per week. It could very well be user error on my part, but I'd like to look at weekly total hours and separate by projects during that week.

Recommendations to others considering the product

To any freelancers looking to keep track of hours while working remotely, this is a great tool. It is easier to jump into than other "time clock" apps.

This is the only tool I use for tracking hours worked on freelance projects. The benefit is an exact calculation of hours/ minutes that I can bill.

Toggl review by Marly D.
Executive Assistant and Owner
Executive Office
(Myself Only)

"Really impressive time-tracking, Great UI"

What do you like best?

Toggle has a great user interface that is easy to navigate but is also super intuitive. There are a lot of little details and the ability to manipulate a bunch of different things, such as workspaces, clients, projects, people, and more. I like that I am able to download a report that is comprehensive, including all of the information necessary and is easy to read and export so I can provide it to clients or others. I LOVE that it has a desktop and mobile app as well.

What do you dislike?

I don't think the mobile app is as optimized as it could be. Otherwise, there isn't a lot to dislike. There are plenty of features for the Free version of Toggl and then there are additional, awesome features when you are ready for the paid version.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend Toggl for anyone who needs a comprehensive time tracking software for their business. This system is great for subcontractors, business owners, freelancers etc. If you want to provide time reports to your clients and employers, this is a fantastic way to do so. Businesses who need something more fleshed out should definitely consider the paid versions of Toggl as well.

I use Toggl for my subcontractors to time track and send me weekly reports. This allows me to monitor the project they work on and the exact time tracked so I can charge clients and pay the subcontractor accordingly. It is an amazing tool that is super clean and easy to understand for them and for me.

Toggl review by Mary W.
Digital Marketing Manager

"Time tracking app with several features"

What do you like best?

At our company, it is important that we not only track time, but also track the project that time is going to. This helps us realize which projects and clients are taking up most of our time, and help us determine the ROI of our clients and our time. We like that you can attribute your time to a specific client or project, as well as add tags to help sort through your tasks. We use the tags for our 6 main services so we can pull reports about how much time we are all spending on each service.

What do you dislike?

The toggl app can sometimes be slow or buggy, and there are several updates. While usually quitting the app and restarting it helps, it can still be frustrating when you are trying to switch tasks quickly and can't because the app is being buggy.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this product for those looking for a time tracking app. It has all features of a time tracking app that you would want in a product. You can track tie, attribute to projects, and tag tasks.

We are solving the general problem of time tracking - when are our employees working and what are they working? Overarching benefits include tracking profitability - which clients are taking up most of our time? We can use all of the reports and facts to generate actionable steps and goals for the next quarter in terms of maximizing our time.

Toggl review by Caleb D.

"Great product for not letting time slip by + tracking time for client invoicing"

What do you like best?

I like how easy the desktop interface is to use. With a few clicks (or keyboard shortcuts) I can start a new task, name it, and assign a project.

I also like the weekly email reports Toggl sends me. With a glance, I can tell how much time I spent on various work responsibilities.

Reports are very easy to produce. I use them both to evaluate my own time and to determine how many hours a client should be charged for.

What do you dislike?

The desktop app sometimes jumps way down in the list of recorded time entries after I submit a new one. It's annoying, but doesn't affect my workflow much.

Toggl keeps me conscious of how long I've been at a current task. It motivates me to not slack off, but finish the work in a timely manner.

Toggl enables me to send clients invoices that are accurate to the second, giving them confidence that we are charging them fairly.

Toggl review by Evan H.
Digital Engagement Coordinator

"Toggl makes tracking your time easy"

What do you like best?

Toggl makes it easier than ever to set up different projects and track your time. Switching from one project to the next is seamless.

What do you dislike?

There is a small learning curve to the product, and it took me a couple of times to get it right, but this is not a drawback. There is nothing I would say that I dislike about Toggl.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you need a tool to get started tracking your time working on a variety of projects, look no further than Toggl.

As a freelance graphic designer and web developer, Toggl makes it easy to track when I'm working on specific projects. Because I bill them at separate rates, it is quick and painless to look and see how many hours I have worked at each dollar rate.

Toggl review by AMANDA S.

"A Stress-Free Way to Create Your Timesheet "

What do you like best?

Toggl has been beyond helpful to me as a freelancer. It allows me to jump from project to project, take breaks, and pick back up in any project where I left off, all while keeping an accurate, well-organized record of what I have done, when, and for how long. It takes so much stress out of time-tracking and record keeping.

What do you dislike?

At times, it does seem to be a little buggy. (For instance, lately, when I start up Toggl again after having not used it for several hours, it will tell me I am hours and hours into a project I haven't touched in weeks/months. I simply stop the timer and delete the entry, but it is a bit annoying to have to deal with.)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to take advantage of all its organizational tools.

It makes it far easier to accurately invoice clients as a freelancer. It also provides excellent organizational tools, making it easier to keep track of projects, clients, or even group projects (it allows you to create teams so that you can keep all the time multiple people spend on a client in one organized space).

Toggl review by Scott D.
MD
Hospital & Health Care

"Great Tool for Tracking TIme"

What do you like best?

Toggl is a great productivity app that we have been using at our company for a couple of years now. With Toggl, I can easily get reports on what my employees have been working on, improving the transparency in the workplace. In addition to providing transparency within the company as a whole, Toggl helps me stay more focused on completing my goals and tasks; I use a Toggl for my work schedule as well as my personal one, and I keep them under the same Toggl account. Using Toggl, I've learned how to become more productive.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an auto-generate report feature - this would make my life easier so I don't have to chase down employees for their reports.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot - I think you'd be surprised at how efficient your team will become.

We use Toggl to stay as efficient at my business as possible. As a small business, it is important to keep our overhead as tidy as possible and with Toggl, we are getting increased productivity out of everyone, since everyone's time is being kept now. Before, a person could spend an hour writing an email - now that takes less than ten minutes and they are on to the next task.

Toggl review by Cassandra M.

"Great concept! "

What do you like best?

I like the time keeping feature. Honestly it's what we use it for specifically. It's good for organizing projects and seeing where you're spending your time. We like that you can use it for keeping track of what is billable and not as well. The app is slightly more user friendly than the web based program.

What do you dislike?

I understand the method behind it but I don't like that the timer keeps going even after I've shut down my browser or the app. I understand that we wouldn't want to have to keep the tab open or keep refreshing the phone just to keep the timer going but on more than one occasion we've had hours go far higher than intended (and once overnight!) So that feature could use some tweaking (Possibly a time-out after x amount of time option? Or alarm reminders asking if you're still working?)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just play around with it. We use the free version but I think the paid version probably has a lot of really cool features. It tracks days/hours/projects. Useful for someone self-employed with multiple clients or a team trying to track their admins time.

Again we're mostly just using it for the time keeping feature. We love the statistical breakdown of where we are spending our time and which projects we can spend more time on or cut back on.

Toggl review by Federico J.
Founder and Senior Copywriter

"I can track my time and see how productive I'm being"

What do you like best?

I've used multiple time trackers in the past. Toggl has the best interface and ease of use that I've tried so far. Their browser dashboard is nice and easy to use. And their Mac app is super simple and streamlined, so you don't have to jump through a lot of loops to start tracking your time when you are working on a new task.

I like the breakdown of description > project > client. As a freelancer, this helps me organize all of my tasks and keep a record of what I've been working on and for whom.

I have tasks that I need to perform daily and the search autocomplete feature helps me find and pick the right task in a second.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes I'll hit enter when the search autocomplete suggest the task I'm looking for, but then it wont' be recorded as such. This is super simple to fix, but that's about all I can think right now. There's not much to dislike about Toggl.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it for a month and then see the reports. You'll be amazed at what you learn about your working habits.

Tracking my time and seeing what I've been working on and for whom. Learning if I'm pricing myself right after seeing how much time it takes me to do certain things.

Toggl review by Tim C.
Owner - Web Developer
Internet
(Myself Only)

"Toggl makes keeping track of time a breeze."

What do you like best?

I like how easy Toggl is to use. You simply hit the start button and start tracking your time. It even gives me reminders every so often to remind me to track my time if I've forgotten to start the timer. It's easy to keep projects separate with the color coding options. I can go online and view reports of all of my tasks and time and export them to csv or pdf. I also like the fact that it will keep track of the time I'm idle. So if I go away from my computer for a time and forget to stop the timer, when I return I get a notification from Toggl telling me how long I was idle, and asking if I'd like to keep that time or remove it.

What do you dislike?

There isn't really anything I dislike about Toggl. Except maybe the number of clients you can have before you have to upgrade to the paid version. That and the fact that I'm not able to add my hourly rate for each client unless I pay for an upgrade.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for an easy to use, simple, time-tracking app, then Toggle is for you.

I keep track of the hours I'm working on specific tasks for my clients, and I'm able to export those hours in a nicely formatted report to send along with my invoice. It helps me visualize those projects I'm working on and where I need to put in more time.

Toggl review by David R.
CDO

"Nice, quick and free solution for personal projects time tracking"

What do you like best?

Beautiful UI, Chrome extension work very smooth and is full of customization options.

Dashboard is nicely distributed and is easy to manage projects, teams and clients. Overall app performance and loading is fast compared to competitors like Everhour

Free plan is perfect for personal use and small projects highly recommended

Idle time feature makes time tracking more precisely and therefore more accurate reports.

What do you dislike?

Team prices are too expensive for small teams and not dollar based economy.

Manual mode is kind of confusing for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try, there's a free version perfect for personal use, let yourself know your performance un your daily tasks.

Easy and fast time tracking for personal projects, nice mobile app very useful if you move through the city constantly for meetings or when commuting.

The management of idle time help us to understand procrastination and take actions.

Free solution alternative to Everhour.

Toggl review by Shaun T.

"Versatile, User-Friendly, Great Customer Service"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to use. You can set a timer or enter time manually and it's easy to correct errors. You can set tasks and sub-tasks associated with a particular project to be able to track time across teams for an extended project. Reports are also very easy to generate, customize, and export. We have relied on this service since 2009 and it has been excellent in keeping track of time both for payroll and client billing purposes.

What do you dislike?

It may be a little too easy to edit past time - but this has also been a boon to those of our consultants who have had to postpone adding specific codes to their time in favor of meeting deadlines.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have recommended Toggl to several friends who were starting businesses or even just wanted a better way to track their time at work. It's very helpful in evaluating my own productivity since I can see how much time I'm spending on different tasks - and it's easy enough to use that I'm not spending a lot of time tracking my time. It's become automatic for me.

The archive of time and hours - even for employees who are no longer with us - helps us greatly with compliance for our government contracts. If a client has a question about our billing, we have the data easily available for them.

Toggl review by Tommy D.
Team Manager

"Toggl review "

What do you like best?

Toggl is anything but difficult to utilize, adaptable, has an appealing and clean UI and gives a ground-breaking set of instruments. Utilizing Toggl has made it a lot simpler for me to picture where my work time goes, just as helping me better deal with customers' ventures.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a superior clock see in the work area and program applications; perhaps a full screen choice. I like keeping a tab open to follow my time and would love a greater perspective on the counter so as to see my improvement initially in my second screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Track everything and set stuff up at as granular a dimension as will be gainful for detailing. You'll express gratitude toward yourself later when you're thinking back or attempting to gauge the achievement of a venture.

Toggl is amazingly valuable and enables me to comprehend where my day is going and what ventures I'm chipping away at the most. It's given me a review of my time in detailing so I can realize where to be increasingly productive and where my procedures can improve. As the truism goes, "Time is cash."

Toggl review by Rachel O. S.
Marketing Coordinator of Backlist Promotion
Publishing

"A great, straight-forward system."

What do you like best?

I like that Toggl is not complicated. I make a system, I press the "start" button, and I track my time. It's easy to look back over and get all of the information you need.

What do you dislike?

I have no real problem with Toggl. I do not use the client function, so I can't speak into its quality, but everything I use in Toggl works well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for time tracking. This is not a task app. This is not an Asana competitor.

This is amazing for sending my tracking up the line. It also keeps me from trying to work on 6 projects at the same time. If I need to work on something else, I intentionally stop working on the first project, pause the tracker, and start a new tracker. Then, I can let my employer know exactly how long certain tasks take, instead of just estimating my weekly time usage.

Toggl review by Michelle D.
Institutional Research Analyst
Higher Education

"Got the job done for a free service"

What do you like best?

Toggl is pretty simple to use for my purposes. I am really glad to be able to simply track my time on different projects for free. Also, for a free service, the reporting and summary functions are great.

What do you dislike?

The entry can be a bid tedious. In a previous version, it was really simple to add time entries for a variety of projects on a past date. Now, you have to change the date for every single entry, which can be really frustrating, as I am someone who would back-log my projects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely shop around, but if you are looking for simple tracking (especially for free), this service will do the trick.

I didn't use toggl for its budget tracking. My office uses Toggl to track our time spent on a variety of different tasks so we can see how we are spending our time and figure out how we should be spending our time.

Toggl review by Manikanta K.
Chief Rural & Educational Officer
Civic & Social Organization

"Easy Time Sheet Tracker"

What do you like best?

There are many timesheet apps which would be used on a daily, weekly and monthly basis whereas toggl solve the purpose of tracking each and every task of the routine along with their specific project. This will help us to reflect ourselves to improve our work style. Dashboard and the customized option to have a quick view of our productive efforts. Insights generated from the reports are helpful for the project improvement. Frequent notifications and weekly reports over mails are motivative factors from this application.

What do you dislike?

Multiple Workspaces, Projects, Clients, and Teams should be more user-friendly and billed projects process should be simplified. Restricting few advanced options to paid version has to be redefined. Toggl master certification course is impressive but not getting proper assistance to finish such courses for the free users. It would be great if free users get such opportunity to explore themselves to become subject matter experts to support fellow users from the toggl community.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Highly recommended to all the executives who don't have specific tasks/timesheet tracker or wanna shift to lean methodological system. Team Leads and Managers can use this application which can help them to track their teammate's efforts and billing hours to do the cost-effective analysis for their projects.

Daily, Weekly and Monthly Time Tracking to evaluate the efforts and productive efforts. Generating the reports on the periodic basis. Frequent training sessions from the support team also helps the users to update on the application usage.

Toggl review by Rob T.
Partner
Non-Profit Organization Management

"The easiest time tracker I've found and we got 100% adoption"

What do you like best?

The simplicity

You can, in the paid versions, mark items as billable and report on them

Tagging, customers, clients, projects, teams, hourly rates, budgets... There's loads of flexibility to record deal work not just idealised ideas of work.

Charity discount.

Browser plugin creates time tracking buttons on loads of websites

Fascinating insights from the desktop app showing what program you've had open at any given time, your Facebook habit will be blown wide open

What do you dislike?

Kind of expensive on the face of it with tiered pricing 😪

Integration with teamweek should make this a world champ but instead they link clunky, unidirectionally and you have to manually move data (eg budgeted hours) from one to the other

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it out and if you are a team assume you will have to pay as the free tier just doesn't cut it.

The reason to try it is that whether your team use it accurately or not it's likely to be the decider.

Accurate recording of time spent on different tasks including for billable work.

We achieved this.

Toggl review by Evelyn-Alice T.
Project Manager IT Recruiting (ext.)
Insurance
(10,001+ employees)

"Very useful "

What do you like best?

As a freelancer who is paid by the time worked it's the perfect tool for me to keep my working hours in check, it's very easy to use and what I like best is the reporting that tells you exactly how much time you spent doing what tasks. This also helps with your productivity.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a pause button. Sometimes when I start a task (start the clock) and something comes up, the only thing I can do is to stop the clock. Which is not that bad but I think a pause button would be more useful for short breaks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If your time management isn't that great and you wish you had a better overview of what takes up most of your time, try Toggl. For me, it was exactly the tool I needed to keep my time on track.

At the end of each week, I have to send my clients a reporting on what I did for each project. This report includes also a time deduction from the time they booked. It is very important for me to keep a track of my tasks so I can deduct the time correctly. Toggl helped me get rid of the stress that involved keeping track of the time spent on different activities. I just start the clock when I begin a task and stop it at the end.

Toggl review by Krista B.
Owner & Process Improvement Consultant
(Myself Only)

"Excellent tool for time tracking and exporting"

What do you like best?

This tool has made my life so much easier for tracking billable time when working on client projects as a consultant. I was previously using a Google spreadsheet but I really prefer being able to quickly access Toggl and start the timer or manually input and assign the project (based on what I am working on) to the time entry. Then I can export to PDF or a spreadsheet if I want. The reporting feature is so easy to use and provides a professional report that can be shared alongside my invoices I send.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I would love to see would be the ability for exported time to be available in time increments other than the standard, for example, 1:30 for 1 hr 30 minutes -- for that to translate to 1.5 for those accounting offices and invoicing tools that use that incremental conversion for billing purposes. For this reason I do keep a separate conversion chart but that's ok. I have submitted that as a feature request already.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a feature rich tool with a free-user plan to be able to test it out with at least one project for unlimited time so this is wonderful. I recommend trying it for a month and I guarantee you will convert over. There is even a mobile app to make life easier.

This just provides the level of professionalism and user simplicity I need so I can worry about managing my daily work vs. the tedious time-tracking of my prior method (spreadsheet).

Toggl review by User

"Somewhat limited time tracking"

What do you like best?

It works well if you remember to use the real time feature where you’re recording with their stopwatch. I don’t typically find this practical though.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like that when you have to do previous days, you have to continue to select the date for each individual entry. If you have multiple clients and days this adds a lot of unnecessary time. You should be able to select the day first and do all of your entries for that day at once. I find it inefficient when entering time. It would be easier if it was a spreadsheet format where you could just list everything in one place.

We use it for time tracking in an agency. It helps keep track of client time so that we know when where people are spending their time and which clients are taking up the bulk of time.

Toggl review by Emily C.
About Me!

"Toggl Review"

What do you like best?

This product is so easy to use - it cuts out the middle man of time tracking and lets the individual track their time efficiently and effectively! You can also use this software anywhere - it travels with you, not the other way around! Lastly, my favorite part about this software when I used it was that it is so accurate! It doesn't mess around with your time, it doesn't cut corners - it's effective and accurate!

What do you dislike?

This software wasn't always the most user-friendly; sometimes it would be a bit difficult to navigate or log items/time. This only happened occasionally, but when it did it was a big bummer. When I first started using it, the learning curve for myself was tough - it isn't a software that everyone can easily pick up in my opinion!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take your time getting to know the product - it can be a little difficult to navigate at first, but once you get a handle on things, it's very easy to use! It has given me many tools that I still implement in my life today! I really love this software and recommend it to any business professional! Especially if you're new to the professional world - it is a great asset.

I was using this software at a company I worked at in the past and it was great to keep track of my time and responsibilities. It keeps everything in line, professionally and personally even. I was able to maintain a solid balance while using this software, which was great! I was right out of college when I used Toggl and it helped me adapt really well. I still use some of the time management tools I learned through this software. I was able to keep up with my responsibilities and plan ahead when necessary with this software!

Toggl review by Leo J.
Ember developer via Toptal
Legal Services

"A great tools that would really use a nice desktop app..."

What do you like best?

The simplicity of use of their webapp, the reports it generates, it's really easy to setup and use.

What do you dislike?

The linux desktop app: it looks dated, it's not intuitive, it laggs a bit (used it on 3 diff laptops with the same result always), and some things are really not practical (tagging a task for instance is a potential nightmare on the app)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Activate the pomodoro mode right away: before this was an option on toggle I would forget it was on and let my counters run on for hours ... (the desktop app doesn't discard the time that has passed while the computer was turned off or suspended if the counter was on)

I want to track how much time I spend on completing tasks for my customers (I'm a freelancer developer) and prepare some bills to send. I also want to know how much time I spend/loose on some side projects. I like that it offers a pomodoro mode on the desktop app, I just wish it could be a little more "discret" and not pop-up an alert windows right in the middle of the screen 'cause it sometimes break my concentration and stop me in my thoughts while I'd have rather start the rest period a minutes later.

Toggl review by Michelle R.
Administrative Social Media Coordinator

"Toggl is the Timer We Didn't Know We Needed!"

What do you like best?

I love that you can label the time that you log. I can look back at my time and see how much time was spent on various projects. This is super helpful for planning. I also like that the timer runs in the tab in my browser so I don't have to keep clicking back and forth to see how much time I've been working. I also like being able to manually enter my time, sometimes I forget to log in so it is nice to go back and fix it.

What do you dislike?

I was getting frustrated with all the bugs in the Toggl iOS app. However, I know those were just fixed!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use Toggl to keep track of your time and your employees' time as well! No need for a physical clock to track time at work, use the app or website to keep track for you!

We are able to keep track of work that we do even when we are off site. It is an easy and honest way to record time. Again, being able to label the time also helps us know how much time we need to plan on when it comes to various projects.

Toggl review by Jim R.
Co-Founder, Chief Executive Officer
Security and Investigations

"Mediocre Product, Sneaky Fine Print, Awful Customer Service, "

What do you like best?

Honestly it is a very mediocre application. It does have a chrome button that is kinda handy for punching in and punching out. It keeps time, I guess that's the point.

What do you dislike?

I have a team of 5 but decided to bring on 2 student interns to do some testing for our development team, bringing us over the 6 employee threshold for the free version. Of the entire team, I am the only full-time employee and don't get paid, so I probably didn't really need a timekeeping app, but I figured, if it makes life easier, let's go for it. I opted to save some money and buy the year up front (Big Mistake) The first month is free and was spent trying to get everyone used to using Toggl, which they never did. It really only stuck with my CTO who had used it with another company in the past so he was already used to it, everyone else to this day just plugs their hours into it at the end of the week/month, which could easily be handled with an email. Not that any of that is Toggl's fault, but there just was not a lot of value for MY team. The problem, however, was when I added a user to replace someone who had left, and forgot to take the old person off the list right away, boom get hit with another 100 dollars for that new employees year in advance. I emailed support (They do not offer phone support at all) to let them know that after looking at this new charge and how little my employees use the service, I'd really like to downgrade to the free version and get a prorated refund. They informed me that they do not give refunds, even though it says on their website you can downgrade anytime. That actually is true you can press the button that says downgrade, but it won't actually downgrade until you're credits have run out. I asked to have a manager call me, and was informed that they would never do that as they don't make phone calls. They said they'd speak to a supervisor about a refund. No one ever got back to me. I emailed again asking to speak to a supervisor and someone emailed me back simply saying they don't give refunds and citing some fine print in their terms that of course, I agreed to when I signed up. I did agree, so it's not a scam, but boy they must not be very confident in their product. My company needs money more than anything, and I would NEVER refuse a pro-rated refund to an unhappy user.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would never recommend a product with such poor support to others. tricking people into prepaying with a discount then refusing a refund when they are unhappy is just unreal in SaaS

Timekeeping, none.

Toggl review by Sara  A.
Staff Accountant
Financial Services

"Very Easy to Use, Excellent Tracking for Tasks"

What do you like best?

That I can classify the tasks i do and time them accurately.

What do you dislike?

The new version puts all the same tasks together so it's hard to see them in chronological order.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure when you have a task that you would like to repeat in the future you name it the same thing each time. Toggl will help by offering you the name if you begin typing it in and if you have typed it in previously. I really like keeping my tasks well classified so I focus on keeping the same name for tasks and projects when I repeat them.

I figure out how long something takes, which helps me plan out how much time I will need next time around. I have been able to shorten the amount of time I take on each task since Toggl helps me to focus and use my time more efficiently.

Toggl review by User

"Effective for gaining insight into where your time is being spent"

What do you like best?

The interface features a very friendly layout, and it’s really a pleasure to use. You can also start a timer on one device, but stop on another. The learning curve is very flat making .it easy to onboard new hires to the platform. I am a big fan of the tag and project classification system

What do you dislike?

Lack of customization in the platform. It's expensive in comparison to other time tracking tools that also do other functions. The timer/default time settings can be confusing. I find that when trying to log or record time, the default settings aren't very user-friendly. It's easy to accidentally record 26+ hours of work when the AM/PM is not double-checked.

Time management. Allows for us to gain a holistic view of where our time is being spent and where we can save money by making better use of our time. Great for client focussed businesses such as agencies.

Toggl review by User in Computer Software

"Great app for tracking the time you spend on tasks"

What do you like best?

Toggl is a great app, both for mobile and PC use. It's great for improving time management and productivity. I love that Toggl shows a timer and I can track the exact time I spend on tasks and projects. Great for improving your time management skills, and holding each other accountable on projects for work or uni. Very useful app!

What do you dislike?

It was a bit confusing to learn to use at first - I think the guided tour should be longer and show you how to use the other "tabs" such as dashboard, reports, insights, clients, team, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great app, both for mobile and desktop/laptop browser. Definitely worth giving it a try. It's free and improves your productivity and time management!

Toggl is helping me manage my time much better and get work done fast, for university and for work. The benefits are it improves time management skills, and holds you accountable to yourself and others on your team. Toggl helps users make the most of their time and get more work done, things which would be of benefit to companies - for worker efficiency and optimization.

Toggl review by Mark S.
Graphic Designer

"Toggl Accompanies Trello To Make Automatic Timesheets"

What do you like best?

I like that Toggl API interfaces with Trello, so you can make automatic timesheets showing how long each task took.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see something more visually appealing from Toggl, perhaps with animation and colors.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Toggl mobile app is pretty good, and can be used together with the desktop app as they have a live link.

We use Toggl to track how long each task in a project took, and use this in decision making for future projects to see how long tasks take and then price it appropriately. Toggl has helped us keep an eye on our bottom line and ensure we are profitable.