ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System Reviews & Product Details

ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System Overview

What is ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System?

Our K–12 Instructional Management Platform | Created to inform and enhance the learning experience Our comprehensive and customizable Instructional Management Platform is an end-to-end solution for supporting student mastery of content-specific standards, introducing and applying the 9 Traits of Critical Thinking™, and making data-informed decisions that improve teaching and learning. CURRICULUM MANAGEMENT ThinkUp! (Grades 1-8) was designed to develop students who can process and evaluate information at deeper levels, make informed decisions, solve complex problems, and find reasonable solutions—resulting in standards mastery and improved performance. REPORTING & ANALYTICS Create, manage, administer, and monitor data from standards-aligned assignments and assessments. Our digital platform delivers immediate, actionable data to inform instruction, identify suggested follow-up (either interventions or extensions), and personalize the learning experience. ASSESSMENT MANAGEMENT Meet all students’ needs with Itematica! Itematica gives educators a truly comprehensive K–12 assessment solution with access to 65,000+ rigorous, standards-based items aligned to state learning objectives.

ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System Details
Arabic, German, English, French, Haitian, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Russian, Spanish, Telugu, Urdu, Vietnamese, Chinese (Simplified)

Providing high-quality, easy-to-use, evolving solutions for customers-solutions that provide districts with the tools to meet the ever evolving and challenging goals of providing the best quality education for students, parents, and community.

At Mentoring Minds, our work starts by developing research-based products and continues throughout the school year, as we help schools implement our resources and realize student growth. Mentoring Minds impacts millions of students every day by partnering with principals and teachers across the country to improve student achievement and teach critical thinking. As an unpredictable future rapidly approaches, critical thinking has become even more important for our next generation.

ThinkUp! is our latest critical thinking product line. ThinkUp! equips educators with resources that support a school-wide thinking culture and deepen student engagement. ThinkUp! offers educators and students a path for continual growth that leads to improved student achievement and success in the future.

Mentoring Minds
2002
Tyler, TX

ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System Videos

ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System community
Have you used ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System before?

ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System Reviews

Showing 56 ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System reviews
Already have ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System?
What do you like best?

The rigor is definitely a match to if not harder than our state test. I use it as a end of unit activity. IT does have a online feature but since I am facet o face I enjoy the paper workbooks. The games are also engaging. In the teachers guide I like that I can see the previous years learning to refer to what I am building on. Also like to see where we are headed with the next years learning. The check list is great too for the students to chart their mastery. The teacher's guide has a lot of useful information espiecially for teachers new to teaching math. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The online platform isn't the most user friendly, prefer the workbook. I used to use a workbook page for homework but the problems were very challenging for the parents so I had them asking a lot of questions. I will still send it home with the kids whose parents ask for more support. I find it harder to search and find what I need online. I also dislike that the teachers guide does not include the student problems. I have to keep an extra student workbook around to see their problems. I wish there was more skill practice built in, not just word problems - then it could be a comprehensive curriculum. If the online platform had games and engaging activities for reinforcement it would be better also. Maybe a point system and reward? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Use as an end of unit wrap up with word problems - great thought provoking multi step problems for great practice. I use a whole group, small group, then independent approach. When they do their small group they work together and I have a competition. If the whole class (each group) gets the problem correct then they get a point, if they do not then I get a point. They must also work together and use their strategies. I have them be the teachers and they must not only talk about what is correct but why the wrong answers are incorrect. My scores have been top of the district and I feel my use of this product has helped. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I like the rigor and variety of questions and activities- they align with the TEKS very well. It also includes great Intervention activities. I love the online platform because it includes all of the testing aides that students will be able to use on the STAAR test. The questions are very similar to how they would appear on the STAAR test, which is hard to find especially for my subject/grade level. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

My biggest issue is that you can't use a question bank to make your own assignments online. If I want to create my own assignments/assessments I have to manually type up questions instead of just being able to pull from their test bank.

The platform is also a bit confusing at first when figuring out how to assign items. The screen size is a bit small- the menus take up a lot of room on the screen- which makes navigating the site a bit hard at times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A big issue I had was assessing where my students were before every unit and the pre-assessment feature is perfect for this. I can see if it's the way a question is asked that is causing an issue, or if it's the topic in general. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in ThinkUp! Standards Mastery System
What do you like best?

Think Up is aligned perfectly with the Texas TEKS that will be tested on STAAR. I have been teaching 25 years and its the best thing I have ever used to prepare my kids for the state test. It really helps the students to build the critical thinking skills they need to be successful on the exam as well as in life. I love that there is a guided instructional part as well as an independent assessment part for each unit. It really makes planning your lesson very easy because it is pretty much done for you. I also love that it comes with a print version as well as an online version! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I don't like is when doing it online it's hard to see the entire passage at once. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My students have always struggled with critical thinking skills such as drawing conclusions and making inferences and Think Up is really helping them to master those skills. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

I love the order of each unit, most math books follow the TEKS. The rigor is among the best. The ability to now use the paper workbooks as well as the online component is awesome. Having the ability to use a pre-test assists us in knowing what students already have mastery in a particular unit. The guided practice is very thorough. We love the ability to have Independent Practice before assessing (in math especially). The reading passages are also very rigorous. the introductions give the teacher the ability to really tackle the TEKS the students will cover. It gives them a purpose for the unit and helps them to understand what they are about to learn. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The online system (the oral admin portion) needs some work. We would love for it to follow the appropriate accommodations for Oral Admin. Elementary students struggle with pausing and unpausing. Having the text to speech read every single word on the page becomes confusing. It would be wonderful if it simply read the question and the answers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are hitting the rigor. We find that once students begin to get comfortable with Think Up, their higher order thinking is truly engaged. We have found that students that begin to master units in Think Up do not struggle with state testing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Teacher
What do you like best?

There are plenty of activities, multiple choice as well as open answer questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The online resources needs to be easier to assign. - possibly search options for page number.

The actual assign screen is very difficult with too many filters and drop downs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The book is very helpful and TEKS aligned but the assigning process is lengthy. It would also be helpful to be able to assign to Google Classroom Classwork so that student users of Google Classroom can find their work in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The book is very helpful, organized by TEKS. There is plenty to choose from to reach a variety of students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instructional Coach
What do you like best?

I like how it gives you a wide variety of resources to help tackle either specific TEKS or topics. Teachers can go in and create quick checks on certain TEKS, assign it to the students, and it will also grade it for them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We had to ask for them to align the tested results to mirror those from the Texas STAAR passing standards. We had to call and ask them to make the change so that the "approaching" results, for example were aligned to STAAR. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The passing standards did not reflect those of STAAR so it gave us different results. The benefit was that we could get so much data from both teacher created and preset assignments and assessments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the rigor of the work and the teacher resources provided to provide student instruction, intervention and extensions. I also like the layout of the book being by each individual standard. I also really enjoy the vocabulary activities. The activities keep my students engaged, which encourages them to actually use the vocabulary with their peers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the new online platform. It is not very user friendly and I do not like not being able to view the information on a full screen. I also wish the student pages were made available on PDF again, to help with reteaching and student corrections. I also wish there was more student friendly direction to teach the 9 Traits to students and how to build those connections. I also wish the reports allowed us to customize more the data analysis. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would love to see a resource made specifically for spiraling at the end of the year. Instead of it being broken down by TEK, it would be great to have something that continues to review it all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to better target my students' needs either for intervention or extensions. I am also able to use the vocabulary activities to to help my English Language Learners, develop the academic vocabulary. The motivation stations have really come in handy this year due to social distancing, students are able to have their own copy while still working together.

The only problem has been the use of the online platform. I think more options for data use would be beneficial as well. For example, being able to look at team data all at once and analyze it in different formats. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

The ease of using the application for students and teachers. It's been wonderful having the Assessment books for our teachers this year. The students use the everyday practice books for Math and Reading. Having the ability to give them 2 Benchmark assessments that are created by the same creators gives the ease of knowing the data is going to be similar across the board. We will definitely be purchasing this supplement for 3rd through 5th in both Reading and Math. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No complaints, so far everything has been good. The transition to using the program online took a minute for our teachers to adjust to but once they got to using it, I've heard only great reviews. It's given them the flexibility to use their everyday supplement with their virtual students as well (the students that were not able to come to campus for the books themselves). The teachers did inform us, they are not pleased with the ELAR books this year. The editing and revising passages are in the reading book. This was confusing. They preferred the revising, editing and writing prompts all be in the ELAR book and only reading passages and reading activities be in the Reading book. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is a great resource for students to us as constant practice. My son is entering the 3rd grade next year and I am excited that he will be challenged with the rigor that is used with this program. Our teachers are also very excited that they not only have books but they added the online resource this year which has been crucial with our hybrid learning model. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I like that it goes with our TEKS in a rigorous type of lessons. The math gives vocabulary, journal prompts, games, and multiple choice as well as open-ended questioning to reach different learning styles. We use it with our students in small groups or with whole group instruction. The students really like pairing up with a partner to play games that go with each TEKS taught. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The thing I don't like about Thinkup math is that it is hard for students who are not good readers. It take a great deal of reading to understand what each question is asking. I know math tests have moved to most question that are very wordy. It helps me as a teacher to also have graphics or videos in presenting information in math. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Word problems are problems that we are solving in the standards mastery system. I see students are doing a better job of reading the word problem and understanding how to solve it. They are better thinkers and problem solvers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instructional Coach
What do you like best?

I love the rigor of the questions and the level of the TEKS! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some vocabulary can be difficult for each grade level in reading. This hinders our ability to implement the program. Also, we have had an issue with the speech to text feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's helping me understand the TEKS better and how to teach them. I've been able to see a big difference in my student's mastery of the concepts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

NRJH is not using the newest platform of Mentoring Math, but I LOVE the book. I like the questions that are asked and the notes page is a great way for kids to see things in a different way then maybe the way I said it. I love starting off with the student friendly TEKs!!!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have not found too many items that I do not know like. I wish we had access to the new platform, but my school district did not buy it. I hate the fact that I do not have the same access I had last year. I HATE the flip book. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I love it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am seeing an increase in problem solving with my students!!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

I like how it goes well with my state's standards. I love the complexity of the questions. The books are great. I have used Mentoring Minds in the past and have found it easy to use the online teacher and student editions, and I have made assignments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are too many things to click on to simply look at a page or assign something for my students. Everything seems to be crammed into one place. It is very complicated and frustrating. I usually give up and exit the program. As much as I love the actual book, it is so disappointing to know that the website is not user friendly at all. If I need something online I use another resource.

You need to have a site that's a lot less complicated. Everything does not need to be on the first page. It is a website after all. I would recommend visiting other sites like iReady Math and Reading. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This resource goes along well with my state's standards and offers a wide variety of challenging problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have not tried the online part of the program with my students this year. I use the books almost daily. I love the variety of questions and the progression of the lessons. This is basically my math book for my students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I have liked using this as a spiral review in the middle of the week. My students have not yet done the online component, but they will on Thursday and I'm sure they will love it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to be able to see for sure what I am assigning without having to look from a students online version. It was hard for me to see if I was assigning the correct page in the book to the online users. I would like to be able to see the way it looks like on their end as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

So far, it has been a good book to use in small groups and for Intervention and Enrichment activities. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Thinkup Math is helping my students through intervening activities that align to our state standards. These questions are similar to test questions that students might see on their End of Grade test. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Teacher
What do you like best?

I like the organization of the workbooks. I like that it teaches students to be critical thinkers and includes many important life skills. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It could be more bright and colorful to catch the attention of my students. I also do not like the online/virtual work that has been created for 2nd grade. It isn't very user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I realized that it has made my students better critical thinkers and has prepared them for the state assessments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

We use Think Up for Math, Reading, and Writing in grades 3-5. We like the alignment to the TX standards (TEKS) and the variety and complexity of questions and passages. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We would like to have some shorter reading passages in the reading practice so they could be completed in a shorter period of time. Maybe 6-8 questions instead of 12. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This product provides a variety of practice and assessment items aligned to curriculum standards. The lessons provide a direct teach, practice component, and independent checks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We want to prepare our students for success on the STAAR assessment as well as track their mastery of the TEKS standards. Think Up allows us to do both. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instructional Specialist
What do you like best?

Questions were always right on target for our TEKS, but Think Up! added the writing component....many more open ended opportunities for the students to share their thinking!!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Very little.....lessons are so comprehensive....almost too much if I could complain about anything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This system gives us a foundation for all types of problem solving. It allows the students the scaffolding they need to build their problem solving capacity. The 2 step problems are my favorites! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

5TH RADE
What do you like best?

The online Product is awesome really easy to grade. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The reports are not user friendly and finding grades is to confusing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great resource make sure to model thelessons Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Comprehension and open ended questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

The ease of accessibility is invaluable for

educators. The breakdown of standards, lesson and assessment activities and resources are great tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is not having kindergarten resources. That would be great for vertical alignment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great product for teachers at all

Levels of experience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having the app provides content knowledge and assessments resources. It ensures teams of teachers have a common understanding. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

I like the different engage activity teachers can use in the classroom, besides the great questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The large amount of teacher editions sent with the student bundles. In a middle school, we have 2-3 teacher teaching content so, 13-15 teacher editions become clutter and eventually trash. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I need my teachers to see it in action with other campuses because they are skeptical is using all the components. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The different word problems given are higher order with academic vocabulary aligned with grade level standards, so this allows for our students to make connections with real life scenarios while keeping up with academic language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Science teacher
What do you like best?

This system makes it easy to find relevant material for study and practice. It helps me align instruction with learning standards, and gives me ideas to encourage. Students are able to relate to real world situations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

With practice, it is relatively easy to navigate so no issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I no longer have a lack of good, clean, straight forward practice material for students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Interventionist
What do you like best?

Helps guide the students into critical thinking and promote those skill. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's a lot of information all it once, but after diving deep into it, I realized how to navigate it more efficiently. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look at it thoroughly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Once students learn how to think critically, problem solving because much easier and less frustrating. I like the strategies ThinkUp uses to help with this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

The rigor is awesome and so are the Learning Targets that are geared to students' understanding. I like how it chunks the learning into Concept Development and other parts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was more direct teach practice, an opening activity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a program to challenge students, Think Up! is it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Math curriculum and student growth Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I love the quality of the questions. It has great rigor and they are relevant to the standards. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the virtual component. It is very hard to navigate through. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great tool to use in planning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I love the reading by skill. I am using it to help students see how to become better readers by understanding comprehension components. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I love the rigor of the questions provided. Critical thinking in definitely present in each question. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I am trying to get used to the layout of the online program. I feel it's too crowded. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use the readiness standards a lot for my classes. I feel that it helps students build critical thinking skills. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Kindergarten Teacher
What do you like best?

I like having the standards available to ensure that they are embedded in lessons Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

At times, I struggle since I teach kindergarten to apply all of the resources for this specific grade level Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Problems that we solve for kindergarten revolve around place value and the benefits of a visual in. virtual learning is priceless. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.