TestRail Reviews & Product Details

TestRail Overview

What is TestRail?

TestRail helps you manage and track your software testing efforts and organize your QA department. Its intuitive web-based user interface makes it easy to create test cases, manage test runs and coordinate your entire testing process. Easily track and follow the status of individual tests, milestones, and projects with dashboards and activity reports. Get real-time insights into your testing progress and boost productivity with personalized to-do lists, filters, and email notifications. Efficient test management -- get started today!

TestRail Details

Comprehensive web-based test case management software to efficiently manage, track and organize your software testing efforts.
- Modern test management for your team in a central place.
- Seamless integration with defect trackers, automated tests and more.
- Easily track test results, execute your tests and track results that matter.
- Increased productivity for a productive, happy team.
- Powerful reports & metrics, with real-time insights.
- Scalable and customizable cloud/SaaS solution, or download to your own server.
- NEW: enterprise edition with priority support and features for larger teams

Idera
2003
Houston, TX
@Idera_Software

TestRail Videos

TestRail Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the TestRail community
Have you used TestRail before?

TestRail Reviews

Showing 323 TestRail reviews
Already have TestRail?
QA Automation Engineer
Software Testing Analyst
What do you like best?

The integration with other tools, and their user friendly layout and design. It's very comfortable to use and is way better than other tools with the Automation Testing tools, thank you to the great API that is included. It is frankly the best test case, test plan and test report tool I have ever used before. Even better that other tools from bigger and better known software companies. They do an excellent job on this tool, and with great documentations and a lot of videos, and great support team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the integration with Jira is a little faulty, but the links to that tool usually works well. It could be cool if it has a better following for the bug items that were registered on other tools. Also, it could be cool if it could integrate triggers for automated tests, as other tools includes on their suites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Your company should try this tool, and then thank us for this recommendation. I don't think there would be any bad comments about this tool, as this is perfect fitted for QA Teams. Fully recommended. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In my business, we are a lot more faster on QA since we are using TestRails, as it improves our performance, saves history and is integrated with the Automation tools. This also serves us as prove for previous testing and let us simulates possible test plans and approaches for new projects and products. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in TestRail
What do you like best?

TestRail is a comprehensive web-based product that provides a solution for QA in the area of testing management. As a result, QA can efficiently and without big efforts to manage the testing process, track different artifacts, and organize their software testing efforts.

I like the next moments:

- TestRail is a live product and I see that It became better and better.

- Beautiful and productive UI so it is clear what and where is located + it helps easy to collaborate with other teams about test-plans, runs and cases.

- Nice filtering system allowing me to find what I need quickly.

- Clear UI so a person even without knowledge can start work immediately and without big efforts.

- Integration with big amount of third-party tools and this list extends each time.

- Big amount of reports and metrics that can be used for different reports and especially live statistics for test-plan and runs. Very helpful.

- Personalized to-do lists for QAs also very helpful for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing special to add since it is not smth that I dislike but mostly improvements.

At least suggest to improve the next moments:

- optimize process of adding items into test-plans and runs which are in progress

- improve Jira integration since we have several cases when integration was died. It was not too complex to connect it but still

- work on customized metrics & reports Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just use it and you will be pleasantly surprised with all that TestRail provides. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

- improved test management process and collaboration inside team + stakeholders

- increased transparency of QA work & metrics

- reduced time efforts on testing by using main features that TestRail provides

- team became more satisfied when we started using TestRail Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love the jira integration, it makes for a more efficient process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I feel like the test case templates can be improved on -- even the "exploratory session" template feels ore rigid than I would like -- feel like their could be more flexibility there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I work with a colleague that had a bad experience with TestRail in the past so is soured on it. For those that may have a similar experience, I know TestRail is constantly making improvements so I would tell them to give it another chance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TestRail definitely saves times. I work in a company that consists of several development teams, all of which have different processes. Some of the teams leverage test cases, some do not. I've noticed that the turn around time it takes for me to pick up a ticket, QA it, and then pass/fail/send feedback is much faster when there is a test case created as I'm not reading through ticket description/comments to figure out what needs to be QA'd. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

We have a ton of tests in TestRail. And the organization helps to make sure we know what tests we need to work through. We have regression tests, daily task tests, as well as a bunch of random tests to simulate what a user might do on our system. There is a decent amount of charting that I've glanced at. But I haven't been able to setup all of the charting that I like. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The billing cycle is a bit weird. I had to go a couple rounds to figure it out. I wish they'd bill monthly instead of this credit thing they send out monthly. And it's sometimes difficult to find duplicate tests. We haven't had the time or effort to setup any of the automation APIs. I'm sure they are good, but all our tests are manual. And that takes a lot of time. The connection to Jira sometimes dies and I dont' know why. I have to reconnect often. I also would love to figure out how to hook it up to jenkins. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend if you have a solid QA team, to look at TestRail. Especially if you can automate it. We don't have that automation setup yet, so it's all manual testing, and that means it's more of a list of thigns to do, instead of actually running through tests. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Regression testing our product is a long process. TestRail helps us organize it. Our testing team uses it for daily "user" based tests, and when we go through a quarterly regression test, they have specific categories of tests they need to run through. Right now all the tests are based on manual testing, we don't have any automation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

There are different ways in which you can use and configure testrail to track your tests and manage the test coverage, test results, reports, milestones, test cases and link it with Jira.

It helps the team to track the testing process and let the managers know the testing metrics and trust on the manual and automated test, due to the visibility provided by the tool and the plugins that you can use to link with management tools, Undoubtedly one of the best options on the market Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is hard to find information about how to set up some functionalities such as use the API, use the (Jira) plugins. Automated tests using JS need extra documentation because sometimes is not enough, there is a huge community of developers but the code example is almost always the same, it is necessary to think that there are so many test frameworks that have a specific configuration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

There is a repository of test that you can reuse, execute, create test suites, see the execution reports and share all this with your team/organization, it's flexible and powerful, once you set up your framework and create all the test to execute you can see the results on charts, there are a lot of tools that you can use and they are new features on development, one of the benefits is that you can have all your test in one tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The intuitive interface allows you to get up and running with TestRail in now time. Gurock have an excellent support team who respond quickly to queries; there is also a forum in place that is a great source of help and information. Regular updates and improvements as well as bug fixes are released so you can be confident that TestRail is being developed with the user in mind.

The software also integrates with many reporting tools such as Jira, Asana, YouTrack etc so you can push defects for your development team to see. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There not much to dislike. The support team are always taking suggestions for improvements and also new features on board. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a product to manage your testing than I highly recommend you give TestRail a try. They have a 14-day free trial period. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We now have a central location where all of our test cases are stored. We can see the percentage of test which have failed, passed, are untested etc and have each test linked back to the original ticket raised for the developers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

What do you dislike?

if you change result by misktake to pass/fail/retest or blocked , you can not change it back to ToDo, this make overall plan look not complete. also block percentage should also consider as total percentages i think. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

if you have need of mainting a common repo for reusable test cases, keeping track of everyone's status, easy to select from list of test cases and divide them across the platforms use this. it is easy to manage with multiple users, easy to create and maintain all test cases and daily need at same place and then assign to a different user to keep track of there status as well. also easy to use those test again and again linked with different milestones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

need of mainting a common repo for reusable test cases, keeping track of everyone's status, easy to select from list of test cases and divide them across the platforms. it is easy to manage with multiple users, easy to create and maintain all test cases and daily need at same place and then assign to different user to keep track of there status as well. also easy to use those test again and again linked with different milestones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy setup and ease of UI of test rails, Quick turnaround time for new member makes it good choice, TODO , Milestones and reports are really useful to set, track and report the test results of specific project Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Integration into CI tools would help not duplicate the efforts to dump all results back to test rails, There are API available which we need to integrate into our test code so that PASS / FAIL can be updated and report can be pushed to stakeholders, however if we can have some UI integration tools which is like few clicks that would be helpful, also a webhook wold be helpful to import the test cases into a CI tool like buildkite etc, Also integration into okta would be helpful to have a SSO Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Test cases repository is maintained, Test cycles and test history is stored for future access, Easy to get hold of a regression build and what tests to be run on it, The best use of the test rails is to go back in time to understand when a specific test has failed and on which build and also review what tests were run on that build, similar to branching of the repository we can maintain results of each branch and also select specific tests for each branch and prioritize them per branch Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

TestRail has been part of my everyday routine as QA. There are a lot of features that I love, and they still improving. I love the the test case organization, test suite, and test run management. Milestone feature also really helpful to manage test result between version. At first, test case feature may be a little bit intimidating, but once you get used to it, you will love it.

The ability to custom test report was pretty useful for my organization. Integration with other tools (Jira) and Test Rail API make it more complete as test case manage tools.

Last but not least, the test case support and test case community was really helpful as well. Whenever I have a question, I just look up for answer in test case community forum, and so far I always found the answer that what I need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Almost nothing to dislike. Since the testrail feature is quite a lot, first time user might feel a little bit intimidated. Some of my colleagues found it not easy to understand, but I think TestRail is pretty easy to use. However, of course TestRail still has a lot of things that can be improved to benefit us as user. For example, I wish to have feature to share test steps between cases, and I wish to be able to print certain section of test suite.

I would love to see BDD test case style support, and maybe we will able to create test case as well as test script for automation using this feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TestRail has been help me doing my A to Z task as QA. Start from creating and managing test case and group into test section to make it more readable, creating the test run for certain release version using Milestone, until report the latest test status.

Benefit that I have realized is that we save time and cost to manage test case / test run and definitely save our time to create report for the stakeholders. Integration with Jira was really helpful since we can link the bug report with the test cases, so it is more trackable. We also can easily see and track the status of our test case that executed by our automation.

Previously, before using TestRail we have big issue in communicating how much of the test that we have done, especially to the stakeholders. After we use TestRail, communicating about test percentages and test coverage is as simple as sharing the pdf test report, or sharing the link, or even screenshot. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ability to create custom Test Suites that allow the testing of our various products and equipment evaluations.. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are three groups potentially using TestRails in our organization and to have dozens of test Projects in a list gets confusing & distracting - being able to have "folders" for each group would be very beneficial allowing each group their own "area" and to be able to have multiple areas for test suites due to particulars of the "project". Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We use the web based version. It is quick to learn, easy to use and very versatile. We do not use very much of the Reporting capabilities but the TestCase/TestSuite/TestRun capabilities are used constantly in our software build/release process. It is also used extensively when we evaluate new and replacement products. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We install a system into taxis around the US which allows us to process credit cards and manage trips.

When a vehicle or fleet has an issue, , to be able to go back to a testrail report and say "yes, it was working" or "no, it was still an issue" allows us to point back at the individual vehicle having the issue and not our system gives us a big advantage in solving the issue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ability to scan projects quickly and be able to see the progress of each project. I use Testrail when reporting on project status. It helps the whole organization.

Also, I feel that Testrail is the product that keeps me on track with reporting and completing projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was an option to re-open a project to add a note or add testing to it. The inability to not be able to edit a past project is frustrating. There are times when I 'could' add a note to a closed project for documentation purposes and can't. I feel that inability to add notes on a closed project is a serious concern.

I also dislike, which is not a deal breaker, is the inability to add a priority status to a project. There is a way to give a test a priory status within a project. Whenever I add a new project I am unable to prioritize that project among the others. It would be nice to implement a feature that could assign each project a number on importance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Time management. The ability to see how much work needs to be done is an excellent tool. The ability to check a project pass/fail is satisfying, which helps with self-motivation.

Testrail was help me and my co-workers know what tests can be automated. This has brought new excitement and a challenge for me. In a testcase, there is listed requirements for a given test. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to use and Test case versioning part and sharing across the teams and integrations with other tools like Jira and slack. And the other interesting option is we can easily track the status of each test and measure our test success with informative dashboards and reports. API integration for automation purposes is also very good. Keyboard shortcuts are very useful to use and help a lot while testing and writing test cases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

sometimes downtime happens and if they can intimate before we can plan accordingly. and another thing is UI can be improved a lot as I gave a lot of presentations and all the new QA's say without training they could not use it. Another interesting thing I notice is sometimes test execution gets erased while moving test cases from one folder to another folder. And reports can be more drill down like to log level and can be improved a lot. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Goto tool for all your test management problems like defect management, test plans, drill down test case management, reporting, API integrations, flexibility, and others. After evaluating a lot of tools we came to a conclusion for this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Test Management to maintain and validate test cases and RTM by mapping all the cases and reports as well. Test reporting using reports feature. API Integration with our test automation suite pipelines running on Jenkins tasks. Benefits wise, cost is effective when compared to other products which we evaluated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love the way TestRail integrates itself with CI/CD tools like Gitlab!, also the simple way you can report test results with Postman or with the CI version of Postman, Newman.

It is a tools that its super easy to use, to install and to maintain.

It is light and the support team behind TestRail makes everything a piece of cake. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think TestRail should get a better way to automate Test Reports, it has a nice variety of templates, but if they add the ability of automate them via API with more options or a better integration with Gitlab, it would be one of the best Test management tools in the market. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This tool is the best tool in the market if you are looking for a simple to use, user friendly tool for test management, the way it integrates plug ins with Jira, Gitlab, Postman, makes your life as Automation Engineer super easy, it really helps you thrive. I really think that TestRail its a super powerful tool that combines all what it is needed to have a robust test case library, to keep in track test cases, bugs and reports, this tools it's a must!.

Do not hesitate and contact the TestRail team if you have any questions on how TestRail can work for your company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Before using TestRail, we were running some regression by hand and reporting the test results also manually, so, after finding TestRail we were able to integrated with our Nightly regression with Gitlab and with a click of a button, we were able to check the results the very next day in the dashboard of TestRail, it saved us tons of hours in filing and reporting test results. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The Test run is easy and proper

The report is detailed Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Would appreciate a screenrecorder

and also if a direct linking from JIRA can be improved

The bugs linking with the testcases could have been better when it comes to manual testing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a lot easier tool than qTest or Bugzilla

i have used Redmine, bugzilla, qtest and TestRail but this one is a lot more easier

with less glitches

The Redmine and qTest itself have so many glitches in them , it becomes tough to classify bugs

Testrails gives more insightful features Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The Automation is easier with Testrail

Managing the Testcases for manual testers is alot more easier

one can actually link the stories with JIRA'

The JIRA Integration is the best part

The tree structure of the modules gives a more better insight of the cases and classification Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

software development
What do you like best?

Testrail is undoubtedly a software to be considered for the technology development and testing industry, I liked how easy it is to test software and get fast feedback almost immediately, the reports are also very fast and the ability to share bug reports with all the team that are in different areas is very practical and saves you a lot of time, another thing I like is that I can leave a massive list of automated test so that they run themselves and at the end get the desired information, this is very good. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I could find negative about this software is that it is difficult to integrate it with other programs to give it a better performance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

if you don't need a lot of power then this is the ideal software for you Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

when testrail was implemented it was a relief because it simplified our work too much and the results were better in every way, we could carry out more tests and do three times more things than before and finish the order and the automation and optimization of the software in less time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Quality Assurance Tester
What do you like best?

Ease of use and the testing setup. JIRA integration is a nice feature and works well to add pages to connecting tasks. Move test cases around projects is very useful. Also, configuration for using multiple OS is a great benefit. Testing products are done on a time bases, while this might not mean much, it is a nice feature to have when wanting to know how long a project is estimated to take! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The import and export test case feature needs refinement. The ability to move/copy test steps is not possible, so would enjoy this feature being added. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Can use this product in large or small scale application Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Helps gauge estimation efforts through the use of the estimation time tool while testing. This in turn gives a good perspective to project managers on time frames for projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ease of use, maintenance of test assets and integration/collaboration options with multiple other tools. SAML Single Sign-On (SSO) using your preferred identity provider, Audit logs, Configurable backup window and on-demand restore (for cloud instances), Customizable email notification templates, Enhanced API performance (for cloud instances), Advanced project administration, Enterprise-grade support, 1:1 Enterprise Expert training.

In short - Lightweight, Feature centric and Easy to use Test Management tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Reporting feature of TestRail needs to be more feature rich and business centric. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Measuring quality of products and historical analysis release over release. SAML Single Sign-On (SSO) using your preferred identity provider, Audit logs, Configurable backup window and on-demand restore (for cloud instances), Customizable email notification templates, Enhanced API performance (for cloud instances), Advanced project administration, Enterprise-grade support, 1:1 Enterprise Expert training. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The test case repository and the ability to group the repository into sections with the navigation tree easing usage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The editing options of the test run and test plan description as well as the comments section when adding a result could improve editing options Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do the free udemy course first, create a free account and simulate usage with actual test cases and test runs to determine if this product will work for your environment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TestRail provides structure to the test case repository and separates test cases from testing results in the test runs. Testing visibility is improved and easy to share using reports where testing status can be determined with a quick view. Reusable test cases reduce time spent creating test cases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Links to Jira and I am able to push my defects directly from test rail without having to log in to Jira.

Also, I can view a list of all the bugs within a test run at a glance. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Unable to collapse Topics and Subjects.

Sorting option could be made easier to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a good STLC management tool and can track your cycles.

Easy to use.

If there is an update to test case, you can directly open the test case from your test run and it updates. Maintenance of test cases is easy.

Talks to a lot of other apps like Jira making it easy to create and manage bugs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to manage the testing status. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Co-ordination among the team. Division of tasks among the team and having the calculated progress in percentages makes it really easy to track the progress. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Search should be improved. Searching with query seems little uncomfortable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I will recommend them to use Jira as it really good for managing the Testing process for any Project. Linking the Jira defects directly is an added advantage. Also the progress of work done by any team member is transparent. And for me being the Lead, it is really easier to divide the bulk tasks among the team to work on. The reports generated and sent on emails, specially as pdf files is easy to deal with. We do have other formats as in, HTMl etc but generating pdf and sending across gives a good impact. Also it is easier for managers to read and get the updated directly from there. Having multiple projects and managing them is easier now with a single tool. The feature of adding the screenshots and wireframes with the test cases being created is added advantage. It really helps a lot while executing the test cases. The hierarchy of test suites and test cases is finely displayed and the nested test cases are so easy to read and keep track of. Moreover, we also have the list of completed projects right there on our dashboard to keep up your success. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Task division among team

Tracking of test progress

Defect identification Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.