Tableau Desktop Reviews & Product Details

What is Tableau Desktop?

Tableau Desktop allows people to make data-driven decisions with confidence, by helping them answer questions more quickly, solve harder problems more easily, and uncover new insights more frequently. With a couple of clicks, Tableau Desktop connects directly to hundreds of data sources, both on-premises or in the cloud, making it easier to start analysis. Interactive dashboards, drag and drop functionality, and natural language queries help people of all skill levels quickly discover actionable insights, all from an intuitive and visual interface. Ask deeper questions by quickly building powerful calculations, adding trend lines and seeing statistical summaries, or clustering data to see relationships. Better understand your data, make new discoveries, and identify opportunities faster with Tableau Desktop. Tableau helps people and organizations become more data-driven. With an integrated platform that is easy to start and scale, Tableau supports the entire analytics journey, from data preparation, to deep analysis, to the shared insights that drive the business forward.

Tableau Desktop Screenshots

Project Analyst
Medical Devices
(10,001+ employees)

"Data-Viz Is the Biz"

What do you like best?

Tableau has incredible data visualization tools and the ability to parse massive datasets. I can easily build dashboards and stories that can be shared with executives and other high-level stakeholders. Furthermore, Tableau is great for producing team dashboards that can be used for tactical execution on projects.

What do you dislike?

Tableau has the annoying feature that saved database connections must be re-authenticated every time you open the program. This makes using data "lakes" very difficult. Another thing that frustrates me about Tableau sometimes is that dashboards are not as easily shared without a Tableau server.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Tableau is great for creating blended dashboards from multiple databases. If you are considering using Tableau, keep in mind that you will want to ensure you have another data-preparation product. Even so, I highly recommend Tableau simply for its creative visualizations and the ease with which I can take my datasets and produce dashboards for tactical executions as well as high level executive information.

While I use other products for data cleansing and prep, Tableau allows me to easily and quickly create appealing AND informative data visualizations. It's creative stock of different chart formats and spatial tools allows you to show data almost any way, making it easy to adapt visualizations to differing needs and tastes of executives.

Jr. Exploitation Engineer

"Excellent product, great visualisation"

What do you like best?

I like the visualisation tools available through tableau, like being able to create maps and images based on shapefiles and colour the shapefiles based on different variables to see hot/cold spots. I also really like the ability to view so much data all at once and evaluate trends in the data. This allows us to make decisions much easier than what was previously capable using other software. When combined with tableau prep to clean the data before bringing it into tableau, it is a very useful tool to quickly visualise large datasets.

What do you dislike?

Dislike some of the difficulties using level of detail (LOD) expressions. Would like to use LOD expressions in table calculations, but find this challenging. We have also found that having the data source filters at the top right hand corner of the Data Source tab confuses some users. We at Whitecap believe it would be better to have a "Filters" tab as it's own separate tab after the data source that allows you to filter from there. The reason this is confusing is that by filtering on the data source filters, you are essentially doing the same thing as "applying a filter to all worksheets". The problem is that once you've filtered on the data source tab, you can't see on any of your other tabs which filters you have applied, whereas using the "apply to all worksheets" allows you to easily see what has been filtered on any given worksheet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great for visualising large datasets

Tableau allows us to visualise production data that would have been done in excel in the past. With tableau, we can analyse production versus expectations on numerous entities at a time, which was always cumbersome to do in excel.

Gerente general

"Tableau The best way to analyze and present your data."

What do you like best?

What I like the most is to be able to relate different databases in order to obtain important information for the work, it is easy to perform in different Dashboards, which can be viewed from any mobile device and computers with a single link and in real time.

What do you dislike?

It does not work without an internet connection and sometimes it gives me an error and it does not allow me to save the changes made, perhaps for some people it is usually a bit complicated and cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend it to all companies that have a large amount of data and need to have their information organized and in real time, it is a Business Intelligence platform that helps all companies achieve their objectives and optimal results.

It can help you to join several databases, the presentations with Dashboards are wonderful and easy to understand, when making presentations with global filters the data sample is very simple, provides each user with a profile in which you can save all your publications and edit them whenever you need or require, there are a large number of tutorials and a large community which can help you solve a problem if it is presented and its cost is not very high.

Assessment Quality Analyst

"Data analytics for BI"

What do you like best?

User friendly. it can create very nice graph and charts and map within a couple of clicks.

What do you dislike?

Complicated data sets joining might cause performance to slow down.

It's hard to tell and understand the join with tableau desktop

Currently, I am connecting to SQL server then after i am making the changes in Desktop, i publish the datasource to server. Additional Changes that i want to make to the datasource and republish sometime does not function correct (did not take the update).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a great tool. if you want to launch it at enterprise level - leverage tableau Server. Tableau Desktop can get expensive. But to get started with license it's low cost of entry

Data cleansing and visualization for BI. Share the datasource and visualization via Tableau server helps with the data standardization and consistency

Administrative Assistant

"Learn a New Skill"

What do you like best?

I recently used this product to plot the hometowns of the Science and Math majors within our department. It was simple to use and allowed me to easily import data and edit the data.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve to the software. It took me a little time to understand how to use but the videos were very helpful and walked me through each step.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Spend some time watching the videos and researching how to use the product on the internet. It is important to have sound data and make sure there are no typos before uploading it to the software.

It has helped us understand the demographics of students we serve and what areas are must successful for recruiting within our departments. It has taken a lot of legwork out of this data study for me and really pieced it together in an easily digestible format.

(5001-10,000 employees)

"Simple and intuitive program makes for great looking visualizations"

What do you like best?

The drag and drop ability of Tableau is fantastic. So is the show me option where you select the inputs and Tableau suggests different visualizations. The ability to slice and dice the data in graphs and charts of different types really helps tell good stories and makes the data more approachable for business and customers. Dashboards are also a really great feature because it allows you to combine many different visualizations into one view. From this view you can make the charts and graphs interact with each other so if your user is interested in only one category, the user can click on the category or filter to that category and all the charts on the dashboard will update accordingly.

What do you dislike?

Working with formulas and especially dates in Tableau is not as easy or as intuitive as in Excel. This makes the transition from Excel to Tableau more difficult, but this could be attributable to having only worked in excel prior to the transition to Tableau whereas someone more experienced in SQL could make the transition in a more easy fashion. Formatting certain parts of the charts and graphs also proves to be difficult, for example, not all column headers can be changed as it is tied to the source data name. People that make the transition from excel to Tableau also need to be aware that creating a table is not easy in Tableau as it is a data visualization tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be prepared for a learning curve, but afterwards, the visualizations are worth the initial push

Intuitive charts, self service type of visualizations and data, and informative graphics

"Quick Analytics, Desktop Bound"

What do you like best?

I love that I can easily combine multiple data sources to create eye-catching visualizations. The flexibility that the software gives is well suited to the data I work with.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that this software is desktop computer bound. There are no cloud analytic options available. This limits my work in the amount of data I can work with and in the platforms I can use to edit my work. First, my work is highly mobile; I am often meeting partners in conference rooms or their own offices and I need to be able to edit my work on the fly. So the speed at which I can process data is limited by the power of my laptop. Secondly, I would like to be able to edit data using a cloud application. However, this functionality is not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great product for data Analysis. You might not need all the fancy pieces of the Tableau Server, a simple desktop app and Tableau Public might serve you well.

We have created several streamlined dashboards which help inform high-level decisions. The benefits are realized in our communication with stakeholders and accuracy of data.

Gerente general de ventas
Automotive

"Real-time data analysis"

What do you like best?

Tableau I love since I can keep all my information in one place in an organized way and instantly, I can check the inventory of my company, as well as verify what kind of work was done to the fleet of vehicles that are in charge, to make the presentations to the employees I make simple Dashboards, which show a lot of information of interest to all.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I do not like is that without internet connection tableau does not work and sometimes the application becomes slow, sometimes when I make a change and I want to save it gives me error which makes my changes are not saved

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This tool is perfect for those companies that have a large number of databases and want to organize them immediately and accurately, in my case it is excellent to know statistical data sales and any other information that requires about vehicles, is a Business Intelligence platform that grows at enormous speed.

What I have solved with tableau is being able to organize my data in one place, and when I want to consult some information I can do it quickly and accurately, which helps me make important decisions in the company, Tableau provides each user with a profile in which you can save all your publications and edit them whenever you need or require it, I can place filters that makes it easier for me to search for information.

jefe de logistica Thales Group / ingeniero en mantenimiento mecanico

"All my databases in one place"

What do you like best?

This tool helps me to present in a fast and reliable way all the data we have in one or several databases that we use in the company, we present it to the bosses through Dashboards, in a friendly and easy to understand way to through graphics, calendars, maps among others, data is analyzed since it has global filters that are very useful and they can be viewed from your desktop computer, as well as from cell phones and tablets, just by sharing a link.

What do you dislike?

If I have several applications open on the computer, it can often get a little slow, sometimes when I'm making changes to the Dashoboards and I give it to save data and it gives an error which does not allow me to make the changes I want, which implies new the task.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is an easy to use tool, it helps you to reduce the company's cats and increase profits, it helps you in a quick and easy way to take decisions of the company, tableau adapts very well for large and small companies, it is a Business Intelligence platform that grows at enormous speed.

With tableau the company has managed to reduce working time when making presentations and reports that show the statistical data that is required to know in real time for decision making, as it connects with several local files with text formats (*. txt, * .csv, * .tsv, * .tab). To Google Sheets, Excel and Access files. Tableau Public can also connect with statistical software files such as SAS, SPSS (* .sav) and R, it allows you to collect scattered information, it is an intelligent platform and the best thing is that it is constantly updated.

Institutional Research Analyst
Higher Education

"Fantastic visualization software"

What do you like best?

Tableau has brought my department and our website into the 21st century. Making interactive dashboards and graphs has made a huge difference to the quality of our website and quality of our internal documents and presentations. Tableau does take some time to learn, but the capabilities of this program go way above and beyond anything else I have ever used. If there is a function you would like to do that is not supported with the point-and-click features of the program, you can write your own script, which is amazing.

What do you dislike?

Tableau is expensive, and the vendors will definitely continue to try to push more paid products, such as Tableau server. If you are able to properly mask identifiers out from your data, Tableau Desktop + Tableau Public are great. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but they offer plenty of support tutorials.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to train on it initially. It will make the process so much easier. The time spent will pay off!

We are using Tableau for online dashboards. Using interactive features, we are able to cut down on a lot of employee work time because folks who need data from us can now go to the website and filter on the dashboards without ever needing to have access to the individual-level data.

Decision Support Project Manager
Hospital & Health Care

"Gets the Job Done, but Be Prepared for Setup Time"

What do you like best?

It does a great job of mixing data sources through it's proprietary blending and joining tools. For example, You can have a live SQL connection with a pre-saved query that joins to an Excel spreadsheet on your desk that acts as a crosswalk for a set of fields if need be.

What do you dislike?

It's truly a "blank slate" and it takes time and effort to get your dashboards off the ground before you can publish them for your end users. The gains are there, as these "sandboxes" are self-serve and self-updating for your users, but the human capital it requires to get off the ground can be daunting.

Also, I wish that Tableau had a built-in Geocaching tool, as it';s ability to do long-Lad work is dependent on your ability to feed those tools into the system. Direct integration with Google Maps API is a non-starter since we deal with API, so it'd be nice if there was an add-in directly within Tableau.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you have the Human Capital needed for setup and buy-in from Leadership, as this is an "all-in" solution that will require work before producing fruit.

I've built entire "cubes" in Tableau which are able to churn through lots of data to do specific tasks (One particular cube would churn through 1,000,000+ lines of patient data to calculate weighted averages) and some basic graphs that auto-refresh for certain users. We're currently integrating Tableau at our current organization and using mapping and SQL to do analysis regarding the distance our patients travel to Pomona Valley Hospital within our service area.

Sunil Setna

"Tableau Desktop - Quick and easy way for data analysis"

What do you like best?

Great application for data visualization - easily able to create charts and graphs as well as maps for visualizing the data by geographical area. Tableau is very useful for us to put that data into reports and charts that give us real intuition. Able to limit table details those are related to specific chart, view or graph(s) etc.

This tool allows us to have the data organized in a specific database.

What do you dislike?

Custom formatting in this tool can be enhanced a little more.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Yes, I recommend for this application. Tableau Desktop offers a wide range of visualizations.

This application's graphical data representation data visualization features are very efficient and easy to use. In Tableau graphs and charts are built very easily. Quality of its graphic tool is pretty cool. With this tool we are easily able to manage the data in organized way as well as giving the ability to easily integrate multiple data sources.

Project Manager

"Phenomial tool for visualizations "

What do you like best?

Tableau is an excellent tool for anyone seeking to produce visualizations for a dataset. The overall design is very user-friendly and the support community is also vast. Finally the visuals produced with this program are stellar and well worth the products price.

What do you dislike?

The only downside to this program is its exceptional toolset. The software has the potential to do many tasks, however it does require a decent amount of training. By having so many tools it takes a while to achieve full mastery.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definately a product worth looking into. It provides tremendous buisness potential when utlized and is well worth the cost. I personally believe it is one of the best visualizations tools available in the market today. Additionally the customer support team is also very helful along with the huge customer network.

My main use for Tableau has been to create visualizations for various business data sets. From my experience tableau is able to offer a very robust set of tool enabling me to produce great charts and graphs. This has allowed me to produce visualizations which easily can be understood by clients.

Co-Founder & CEO
Financial Services

"It's the best in class data visualizer, but has a big learning curve"

What do you like best?

Tableau is really great at handling large data sets. I've dropped in files that have tens of millions of rows of data, in addition to multiple connections and data attributes, and as long as I extract a .twb file local version on my computer it's very quick.

The other thing I like is the customizable data after you've imported. For example - if I had a data property that wasn't being calculated correctly, I can convert data, write custom formulas to better analyze and more. Their visualization tool is also the best I've used.

What do you dislike?

It has a BIG learning curve, and it sometimes not user-friendly. I understand that it's a complex product, but it's the same amount of effort as learning excel as a true beginner IMO. I spent enough time messing things up in Tableau that I *eventually* learned it, but it took me a while. It can also be slow to load large data sets initially.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure to find online resources.

We use Tableau to visualize all of our data and make it digestible to understand trends/areas of improvement. One of the things we love to do is see trends that may not be noticeable from just looking at the raw data.

Digital Marketing Manager: UTD Athletics
Higher Education

"Visualize everything and anything "

What do you like best?

This platform has changed the way data used to flow from an analysts work desk to that of the audience. With simple visualizations, filters, dashboards it has made visualization easy and accessible to millions of people around the globe.

What do you dislike?

The biggest disadvantage for this platform is that once you make your visualization public everyone has an access to it. they can download and manipulate it. Though it helps the community grown but the security issue that comes up becomes a major concern for some companies with sensitive data.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Clean the data first, since Tableau cannot read a lot of formats. If you data is not clean the tool cannot do much. Also one you are inside the tool have a flow of what you want to do ready so that the tons of options do not confuse or mislead you.

Using this platform to analyse data , exploratory data analysis, formulate visualizations and make presentations to clients.

RPA Developer

""Best Analytics software for analyse Big data""

What do you like best?

I like to drag-drop functionality. It represents a huge amount of data in the batter easy and understandable form. I like the intelligence of this software when you import data in this software it's automatically converted into measurement and Dimension field.

I like the graphical representation of the data. I also like the interactive Dashboard.

What do you dislike?

I think there no dislike but it is not free, it is too costly for small Enterprise. It is provided only 14 days trial.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I used an only trial version for POC.

I have done one POC(Proof Of Concept) using this Software. The Main goal of this to detect fraud in the audit.

"Graduate student perspective of using Tableau"

What do you like best?

Firstly, tableau has a free downloadable version for the students who want to use their service and their in-depth tutorials give you hands-on experience of working with a tableau.

What do you dislike?

The time series analysis is a bit difficult in the tableau, and date related information would start from Jan 1900 which is annoying for so many users.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Using Tableau desktop is self-explanatory in most of the cases, and it has a very good community to help and clear out any questions if required. Their tutorial videos are like pretty much hands-on explaining the features of the tableau. It also has a prep version which helps in preparing the data for the data visualization and exploration. This is a very good business intelligence tool to start with.

I typically use Tableau desktop for performing the exploratory data analysis, and data visualization. Their interface is friendly to use, and their tutorial videos cover most of the functions in the Tableau.

Senior Architect Data & Analytics
(10,001+ employees)

"Tableau review"

What do you like best?

very simple and intuitive drag and drop interface with auto summarization that allows you to get results right away.

I like how in a single interface you can do crosstab and summary reports combined with list detailed reports and combine each of those into a dashboard and even dripp up and down through hierarchies

What do you dislike?

the functionality is limited, it is not possible to build complex reports like joining data sets with different levels of granullarity and still get correct roll-ups.

U dont like the fact that is not possible to define different types of roll-ups for different dimensions like Time, like doing a average or last period roll-up over time dimension and aritmethic sum over other dimensions.

Not being able to export properly to excel is a big pain. All end users from any company were born with Excel and they will never give it away, it is the most comfortable tool for consumer type of user although DWH administrators do not like it. Excel is unavoidable and we should deal with and find a way to integrate it rather than exclude it from the tech stack.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

although I think is going in the right direction, the lack of complex modeling is very painful

Operational reporting and dashboards. End users are more capable of doing self-service reports without IT crowd intervention given the easy user interface. Report sharing through Table Web portal is very helfull and allows the user community to speak the same language

"Easy, fast, user friendly data visualization"

What do you like best?

So easy to get the hang of and use. Very powerful tool for sifting through large data sets and discovering trends. Also capable of creating custom formulas beyond the raw data. The graphics that tableau makes are easy for even non analytical people to understand, ideal for end users of information as well.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike, besides the access keys are difficult to come by. Many companies will restrict them due to license costs

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's definitely worth the (small) learning curve. Alternatives like Excel are hard to navigate and take up too much time. Tableau does much of the heavy lifting for you, so you can better utilize your time

It have be difficult to send out heavy financial data to operational managers who don't always understand the data and the numbers. The graphics in tableau are very simple and make it easy to get information across different groups of people.

Director of Research
Financial Services

"Tableau is the most easy-to-use and visually impressive data visualization tool I've ever used."

What do you like best?

The visuals are stunning! I've used a lot of different software for run and/or visualize data analytics and none of them come close to this level of quality in the output. It's also incredibly easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Automation isn't as simple/useful as it is with other software, such as R. Another strange, yet very real, dislike it that the software may be too easy to use. The only reason that's a problem is because I've see people without experience in data analytics/statistics create charts, interpret the results, and deliver very inaccurate insights to their DMs. This isn't really a problem with the software, but companies need to make sure that their analysis is run by qualified employees. It's also a big expensive, but maybe that's because I'm used to open source software (R).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Tableau offers a free trial. Download it and toss in some data to seem what it's capable of, how much better its output looks than other software's output, and how easy it is to use. Unless you need frequent automation, you'll like the product.

We run analytics for other companies, and our clients are frequently blow away by the level of depth and quality of our reports. It's great with marketing/sales data, product data, operations/financial data, Research Data, and anything else you can throw at it. We use it most frequently to visualize Customer Lifetime Value to our clients.

"Fantastic software"

What do you like best?

This takes your data and converts it into amazing interacting graphs. I thought Excel was fantastic however this is alot better. Its more simple too, all drag and drop rather than vlookups. It takes seconds to create an inviting graph from the inserted data.

What do you dislike?

There is an annoying bug when connected Netezza when using my Microsoft surface. I think it is to do with the DPI of the software. the connection box is half missing when typing in. I did report it to Tableau but they were unsuccessful in fixing the issue. The work around is to use an external monitor. The other downside is the licensing costs. its very expensive. Lucky they have now added a subscription model to help stem this issue

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is multiple options to create really professional visualisations. It looks amazing. I used it with mapping postcodes, it does require some knowledge of prepping data however with a couple of clicks there is great visuals. On top of this you can publish the data and make it interactive to the end user. as a result I highly recommend this.

Its ease to use , just simply connect to a csv file to the data and within minutes you have amazing professional visualisation of your data. its really quick and easy

Digital Marketing Intern

"Tableau Desktop - Where data speaks"

What do you like best?

The best part about Tableau desktop is the ease of use. I use it every day and I think that a huge reason for that is how comfortable it was to learn the software. Although, this is due to me putting in the time to learn how to leverage the platform. But I couldn't do my job without this tool.

What do you dislike?

My only gripe with Tableau Desktop would have to be that there wasn't a whole lot of resources for me to get acquainted with the platform. I do dislike for how robust it is, Tableau hasn't quite gotten to the point where they can showcase all of the different features that are available. It would be really nice if they could almost format some of the available features with separate toolboxes instead of hiding some of the best features in the tabs above.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I honestly believe that Tableau Desktop is the optimal tool to analyze any and all data. I don't know what else I would use to get the kind of information that I receive from analyzing my data in Tableau Desktop.

I use Tableau Desktop to optimize all of my marketing campaigns. The benefits that can come from this optimization could be savings worth up to hundreds of thousands. Not to mention raising the ROI on almost every campaign I run after optimizing. This has been crucial since I currently work with 20+ vendors every quarter.

Graduate Assistant
(Myself Only)

"Visualize data like never before "

What do you like best?

The extensive and free resources available on the official Tableau website lets anyone quickly understand the features and build visualizations. Data from various sources like Excel, PDF, text file etc cane be easily connected and further, cleaned (with an in-build feature named Tableau prep). The recommended type of visualization from the wide gamut of options helps develop better results. The new dashboard and new story features where-in various worksheets can be combined to tell a story makes it stand out from the other similar software available in market. Not only visualizations, but also various complex analytics pertaining to data can be easily enabled through the software.

What do you dislike?

For large data sizes, the software gets stuck and sometimes goes to the extent of crashing. Also, Tableau prep tool is not very effective for cleaning purpose.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If the data makes no sense at all, it is good to evaluate other similar tools which are providing various possible hypothesis once the data is loaded.

I utilized Tableau to develop visualizations such as heat maps, histograms, line graphs, pie charts etc. and further developed worksheets, dashboards and stories to present business case as part of my Master's coursework.Apart from visualizations, it helped me perform various complex analysis and also enabled sensitivity analysis through its features like parameter control and filtering.

Automated Logistics Specialist
(5001-10,000 employees)

"A perfect BI tool for small to mid level data reporting initiative"

What do you like best?

Quick learning curve,

Good connectivity with an array of data sources,

Lots of internet forum support,

Good After-sales service by the company,

Comparatively cheaper than other services like Power BI and SAP Lumira,

Good online resources available for learning the tool.

What do you dislike?

Not very versatile,

The scale up cost can go up pretty quickly,

Has performance issues with big data sets,

Not a good Stand-alone tool. Need a data integration tool like alteryx or pentaho in the back end.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Talk to a rep and ask for a trial version. It is a great tool, but its not for everyone.

I used it to customer re-targeting for Xfinitiy Mobile, a comcast company.

Since we get data from Salesforce, A big data lake and flat files. The reporting is seamless and the turnaround is quick!

Tableau offers a variety of features to build interactive maps, connects to an array of online APIs(like twitter) to pull data. Reporting is good both in live connections as well as data extracts which can be done at a desired cadence.

Project Manager

"Easy to turn lots of data into distilled insight"

What do you like best?

Tableau's capability to connect to, join, and detect relationship between many different types of data sources helps tremendously when trying to derive business intelligence from complex and varied business processes.

What do you dislike?

Tableau can have a steep learning curve for those approaching the tool for the first time, but the time spent mastering the basics will pay dividends.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This tool is well worth it if you have business intelligence / data visualization needs. Don't be overwhelmed by the learning curve. For guides, don't forget to Google your problem, and watch YouTube tutorials on using Tableau.

We conducted a business process optimization review using analysis from Tableau. Using the software, we were able to bring in data from many varied sources that our process touched, and connect them in the software according to their real relationships in the process. We were able to discover bottlenecks and deficiencies in the process that we had not seen or sized before.

Online Marketing Manager

"Great Reporting Tool or Pivot on Steroids "

What do you like best?

I am a Tableau power user, thought I am only scratching on the surface of all its capabilities. The options for reporting are endless and data can be pulled in from data bases or imported directly from Excel.

What do you dislike?

When we run issues with data sources we always depend on help from the tech team. Software updates also only work when we update our data bases as well, so sometimes it takes some time until we are able to take advantage of new features etc. With the latest update I've also experiences problems with frequent crashing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't get overwhelmed by the setup process and just play with it. It's a very powerful tool that makes data analysis easy.

We use Tableau to combine a number of data sources and report on performance of all different channels and programs that drive traffic to our websites. It's most used by the marketing team for all paid acquisition channels.

"One of the best tools I have used for visualization of data"

What do you like best?

The best feature of Tableau is the amount of documentation available for new users. I feel that kind of documentation helps everyone to come onboard and try things with a tableau. I have used this software for various projects and never had a problem with any number of datasets. Indeed it is one of the best software for visualization.

What do you dislike?

The thing which does not go well with me for Tableau is the high pricing. For students, it is free up until there i20 period but it is a bit too costly for individuals. Hence, I personally feel they should regulate their pricing structure.

We have a dataset for a US pharmaceutical company and we extensively use Tableau for reporting purposes. With Tableau the data connections to different software are so seamless that it makes our jobs as consultants to visualize anything using Tableau. Hence, I recommend all the companies to use Tableau for reporting needs.

Business Intelligence Analyst
Internet

"The Industry Standard Data Visualization Tool"

What do you like best?

Lots of Data Connectors

Almost unlimited Data Viz Potential

Big community for support

Polished Vizzes that are easy to create

Easy to create multi-chart Dashboards that can interact with each other.

Quick data to insight ability (as long as your data is OK)

What do you dislike?

Tableau is not a data warehouse, so you cannot assume you can load entire tables with multi-million row datasets into it and expect your fully interactive dashboard to perform. Perhaps with a later version this will be addressed.

While almost any kind of Viz is possible in Tableau it is not immediately obvious to what is possible. So there is a learning curve involved. Once you get it though, you get it.

Can be slow working with large datasets.

Tableau interface can incorrectly assume what viz you are after.

Tableau's customer support is not so good anymore

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want an industry standard tool for Visualizations then Tableau is a good answer. There is a huge user base that you can rely on for support. Tableau as an organisation seems to be very passionate about their users and product, they are here to stay.

- Analytics around our customer funnel (Signup/Confirm/Convert)

- Analytics around our customer usage

- Accounting reports