Tableau Desktop

Tableau Desktop lets you drag & drop to analyze data. You can connect to data in a few clicks, visualize and create interactive dashboards with a few more.

Work for Tableau Desktop?

Learning about Tableau Desktop?

Tableau Desktop Reviews

Showing 613 Tableau Desktop reviews
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Tableau Desktop

What Self-Service Business Intelligence solution do you use?

Tableau Desktop review by Elliot Y.
Elliot Y.

"Data-Viz Is the Biz"

What do you like best?

Tableau has incredible data visualization tools and the ability to parse massive datasets. I can easily build dashboards and stories that can be shared with executives and other high-level stakeholders. Furthermore, Tableau is great for producing team dashboards that can be used for tactical execution on projects.

What do you dislike?

Tableau has the annoying feature that saved database connections must be re-authenticated every time you open the program. This makes using data "lakes" very difficult. Another thing that frustrates me about Tableau sometimes is that dashboards are not as easily shared without a Tableau server.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Tableau is great for creating blended dashboards from multiple databases. If you are considering using Tableau, keep in mind that you will want to ensure you have another data-preparation product. Even so, I highly recommend Tableau simply for its creative visualizations and the ease with which I can take my datasets and produce dashboards for tactical executions as well as high level executive information.

While I use other products for data cleansing and prep, Tableau allows me to easily and quickly create appealing AND informative data visualizations. It's creative stock of different chart formats and spatial tools allows you to show data almost any way, making it easy to adapt visualizations to differing needs and tastes of executives.

Tableau Desktop review by Andrew N.
Andrew N.

"Excellent product, great visualisation"

What do you like best?

I like the visualisation tools available through tableau, like being able to create maps and images based on shapefiles and colour the shapefiles based on different variables to see hot/cold spots. I also really like the ability to view so much data all at once and evaluate trends in the data. This allows us to make decisions much easier than what was previously capable using other software. When combined with tableau prep to clean the data before bringing it into tableau, it is a very useful tool to quickly visualise large datasets.

What do you dislike?

Dislike some of the difficulties using level of detail (LOD) expressions. Would like to use LOD expressions in table calculations, but find this challenging. We have also found that having the data source filters at the top right hand corner of the Data Source tab confuses some users. We at Whitecap believe it would be better to have a "Filters" tab as it's own separate tab after the data source that allows you to filter from there. The reason this is confusing is that by filtering on the data source filters, you are essentially doing the same thing as "applying a filter to all worksheets". The problem is that once you've filtered on the data source tab, you can't see on any of your other tabs which filters you have applied, whereas using the "apply to all worksheets" allows you to easily see what has been filtered on any given worksheet.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for visualising large datasets

Tableau allows us to visualise production data that would have been done in excel in the past. With tableau, we can analyse production versus expectations on numerous entities at a time, which was always cumbersome to do in excel.

Tableau Desktop review by thaisameg b.
thaisameg b.

"Tableau The best way to analyze and present your data."

What do you like best?

What I like the most is to be able to relate different databases in order to obtain important information for the work, it is easy to perform in different Dashboards, which can be viewed from any mobile device and computers with a single link and in real time.

What do you dislike?

It does not work without an internet connection and sometimes it gives me an error and it does not allow me to save the changes made, perhaps for some people it is usually a bit complicated and cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it to all companies that have a large amount of data and need to have their information organized and in real time, it is a Business Intelligence platform that helps all companies achieve their objectives and optimal results.

It can help you to join several databases, the presentations with Dashboards are wonderful and easy to understand, when making presentations with global filters the data sample is very simple, provides each user with a profile in which you can save all your publications and edit them whenever you need or require, there are a large number of tutorials and a large community which can help you solve a problem if it is presented and its cost is not very high.

Tableau Desktop review by Kim N.
Kim N.

"Data analytics for BI"

What do you like best?

User friendly. it can create very nice graph and charts and map within a couple of clicks.

What do you dislike?

Complicated data sets joining might cause performance to slow down.

It's hard to tell and understand the join with tableau desktop

Currently, I am connecting to SQL server then after i am making the changes in Desktop, i publish the datasource to server. Additional Changes that i want to make to the datasource and republish sometime does not function correct (did not take the update).

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool. if you want to launch it at enterprise level - leverage tableau Server. Tableau Desktop can get expensive. But to get started with license it's low cost of entry

Data cleansing and visualization for BI. Share the datasource and visualization via Tableau server helps with the data standardization and consistency

Tableau Desktop review by Sydney S.
Sydney S.

"Learn a New Skill"

What do you like best?

I recently used this product to plot the hometowns of the Science and Math majors within our department. It was simple to use and allowed me to easily import data and edit the data.

What do you dislike?

There is a bit of a learning curve to the software. It took me a little time to understand how to use but the videos were very helpful and walked me through each step.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Spend some time watching the videos and researching how to use the product on the internet. It is important to have sound data and make sure there are no typos before uploading it to the software.

It has helped us understand the demographics of students we serve and what areas are must successful for recruiting within our departments. It has taken a lot of legwork out of this data study for me and really pieced it together in an easily digestible format.

Tableau Desktop review by Colin W.
Colin W.

"Simple and intuitive program makes for great looking visualizations"

What do you like best?

The drag and drop ability of Tableau is fantastic. So is the show me option where you select the inputs and Tableau suggests different visualizations. The ability to slice and dice the data in graphs and charts of different types really helps tell good stories and makes the data more approachable for business and customers. Dashboards are also a really great feature because it allows you to combine many different visualizations into one view. From this view you can make the charts and graphs interact with each other so if your user is interested in only one category, the user can click on the category or filter to that category and all the charts on the dashboard will update accordingly.

What do you dislike?

Working with formulas and especially dates in Tableau is not as easy or as intuitive as in Excel. This makes the transition from Excel to Tableau more difficult, but this could be attributable to having only worked in excel prior to the transition to Tableau whereas someone more experienced in SQL could make the transition in a more easy fashion. Formatting certain parts of the charts and graphs also proves to be difficult, for example, not all column headers can be changed as it is tied to the source data name. People that make the transition from excel to Tableau also need to be aware that creating a table is not easy in Tableau as it is a data visualization tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Be prepared for a learning curve, but afterwards, the visualizations are worth the initial push

Intuitive charts, self service type of visualizations and data, and informative graphics

Tableau Desktop review by Zachary B.
Zachary B.

"Quick Analytics, Desktop Bound"

What do you like best?

I love that I can easily combine multiple data sources to create eye-catching visualizations. The flexibility that the software gives is well suited to the data I work with.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that this software is desktop computer bound. There are no cloud analytic options available. This limits my work in the amount of data I can work with and in the platforms I can use to edit my work. First, my work is highly mobile; I am often meeting partners in conference rooms or their own offices and I need to be able to edit my work on the fly. So the speed at which I can process data is limited by the power of my laptop. Secondly, I would like to be able to edit data using a cloud application. However, this functionality is not available.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great product for data Analysis. You might not need all the fancy pieces of the Tableau Server, a simple desktop app and Tableau Public might serve you well.

We have created several streamlined dashboards which help inform high-level decisions. The benefits are realized in our communication with stakeholders and accuracy of data.

Tableau Desktop review by raul l.
raul l.

"Real-time data analysis"

What do you like best?

Tableau I love since I can keep all my information in one place in an organized way and instantly, I can check the inventory of my company, as well as verify what kind of work was done to the fleet of vehicles that are in charge, to make the presentations to the employees I make simple Dashboards, which show a lot of information of interest to all.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I do not like is that without internet connection tableau does not work and sometimes the application becomes slow, sometimes when I make a change and I want to save it gives me error which makes my changes are not saved

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool is perfect for those companies that have a large number of databases and want to organize them immediately and accurately, in my case it is excellent to know statistical data sales and any other information that requires about vehicles, is a Business Intelligence platform that grows at enormous speed.

What I have solved with tableau is being able to organize my data in one place, and when I want to consult some information I can do it quickly and accurately, which helps me make important decisions in the company, Tableau provides each user with a profile in which you can save all your publications and edit them whenever you need or require it, I can place filters that makes it easier for me to search for information.

Tableau Desktop review by DAVID F.
DAVID F.

"All my databases in one place"

What do you like best?

This tool helps me to present in a fast and reliable way all the data we have in one or several databases that we use in the company, we present it to the bosses through Dashboards, in a friendly and easy to understand way to through graphics, calendars, maps among others, data is analyzed since it has global filters that are very useful and they can be viewed from your desktop computer, as well as from cell phones and tablets, just by sharing a link.

What do you dislike?

If I have several applications open on the computer, it can often get a little slow, sometimes when I'm making changes to the Dashoboards and I give it to save data and it gives an error which does not allow me to make the changes I want, which implies new the task.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is an easy to use tool, it helps you to reduce the company's cats and increase profits, it helps you in a quick and easy way to take decisions of the company, tableau adapts very well for large and small companies, it is a Business Intelligence platform that grows at enormous speed.

With tableau the company has managed to reduce working time when making presentations and reports that show the statistical data that is required to know in real time for decision making, as it connects with several local files with text formats (*. txt, * .csv, * .tsv, * .tab). To Google Sheets, Excel and Access files. Tableau Public can also connect with statistical software files such as SAS, SPSS (* .sav) and R, it allows you to collect scattered information, it is an intelligent platform and the best thing is that it is constantly updated.

Tableau Desktop review by Michelle D.
Michelle D.

"Fantastic visualization software"

What do you like best?

Tableau has brought my department and our website into the 21st century. Making interactive dashboards and graphs has made a huge difference to the quality of our website and quality of our internal documents and presentations. Tableau does take some time to learn, but the capabilities of this program go way above and beyond anything else I have ever used. If there is a function you would like to do that is not supported with the point-and-click features of the program, you can write your own script, which is amazing.

What do you dislike?

Tableau is expensive, and the vendors will definitely continue to try to push more paid products, such as Tableau server. If you are able to properly mask identifiers out from your data, Tableau Desktop + Tableau Public are great. It does have a bit of a learning curve, but they offer plenty of support tutorials.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take the time to train on it initially. It will make the process so much easier. The time spent will pay off!

We are using Tableau for online dashboards. Using interactive features, we are able to cut down on a lot of employee work time because folks who need data from us can now go to the website and filter on the dashboards without ever needing to have access to the individual-level data.

Tableau Desktop review by Andrew D.
Andrew D.

"Gets the Job Done, but Be Prepared for Setup Time"

What do you like best?

It does a great job of mixing data sources through it's proprietary blending and joining tools. For example, You can have a live SQL connection with a pre-saved query that joins to an Excel spreadsheet on your desk that acts as a crosswalk for a set of fields if need be.

What do you dislike?

It's truly a "blank slate" and it takes time and effort to get your dashboards off the ground before you can publish them for your end users. The gains are there, as these "sandboxes" are self-serve and self-updating for your users, but the human capital it requires to get off the ground can be daunting.

Also, I wish that Tableau had a built-in Geocaching tool, as it';s ability to do long-Lad work is dependent on your ability to feed those tools into the system. Direct integration with Google Maps API is a non-starter since we deal with API, so it'd be nice if there was an add-in directly within Tableau.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you have the Human Capital needed for setup and buy-in from Leadership, as this is an "all-in" solution that will require work before producing fruit.

I've built entire "cubes" in Tableau which are able to churn through lots of data to do specific tasks (One particular cube would churn through 1,000,000+ lines of patient data to calculate weighted averages) and some basic graphs that auto-refresh for certain users. We're currently integrating Tableau at our current organization and using mapping and SQL to do analysis regarding the distance our patients travel to Pomona Valley Hospital within our service area.

Tableau Desktop review by Alexander C.
Alexander C.

"It's the best in class data visualizer, but has a big learning curve"

What do you like best?

Tableau is really great at handling large data sets. I've dropped in files that have tens of millions of rows of data, in addition to multiple connections and data attributes, and as long as I extract a .twb file local version on my computer it's very quick.

The other thing I like is the customizable data after you've imported. For example - if I had a data property that wasn't being calculated correctly, I can convert data, write custom formulas to better analyze and more. Their visualization tool is also the best I've used.

What do you dislike?

It has a BIG learning curve, and it sometimes not user-friendly. I understand that it's a complex product, but it's the same amount of effort as learning excel as a true beginner IMO. I spent enough time messing things up in Tableau that I *eventually* learned it, but it took me a while. It can also be slow to load large data sets initially.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to find online resources.

We use Tableau to visualize all of our data and make it digestible to understand trends/areas of improvement. One of the things we love to do is see trends that may not be noticeable from just looking at the raw data.

Tableau Desktop review by Rahul S.
Rahul S.

"Visualize everything and anything "

What do you like best?

This platform has changed the way data used to flow from an analysts work desk to that of the audience. With simple visualizations, filters, dashboards it has made visualization easy and accessible to millions of people around the globe.

What do you dislike?

The biggest disadvantage for this platform is that once you make your visualization public everyone has an access to it. they can download and manipulate it. Though it helps the community grown but the security issue that comes up becomes a major concern for some companies with sensitive data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Clean the data first, since Tableau cannot read a lot of formats. If you data is not clean the tool cannot do much. Also one you are inside the tool have a flow of what you want to do ready so that the tons of options do not confuse or mislead you.

Using this platform to analyse data , exploratory data analysis, formulate visualizations and make presentations to clients.

Tableau Desktop review by User

"Graduate student perspective of using Tableau"

What do you like best?

Firstly, tableau has a free downloadable version for the students who want to use their service and their in-depth tutorials give you hands-on experience of working with a tableau.

What do you dislike?

The time series analysis is a bit difficult in the tableau, and date related information would start from Jan 1900 which is annoying for so many users.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Using Tableau desktop is self-explanatory in most of the cases, and it has a very good community to help and clear out any questions if required. Their tutorial videos are like pretty much hands-on explaining the features of the tableau. It also has a prep version which helps in preparing the data for the data visualization and exploration. This is a very good business intelligence tool to start with.

I typically use Tableau desktop for performing the exploratory data analysis, and data visualization. Their interface is friendly to use, and their tutorial videos cover most of the functions in the Tableau.

Tableau Desktop review by Armando E.
Armando E.

"Tableau review"

What do you like best?

very simple and intuitive drag and drop interface with auto summarization that allows you to get results right away.

I like how in a single interface you can do crosstab and summary reports combined with list detailed reports and combine each of those into a dashboard and even dripp up and down through hierarchies

What do you dislike?

the functionality is limited, it is not possible to build complex reports like joining data sets with different levels of granullarity and still get correct roll-ups.

U dont like the fact that is not possible to define different types of roll-ups for different dimensions like Time, like doing a average or last period roll-up over time dimension and aritmethic sum over other dimensions.

Not being able to export properly to excel is a big pain. All end users from any company were born with Excel and they will never give it away, it is the most comfortable tool for consumer type of user although DWH administrators do not like it. Excel is unavoidable and we should deal with and find a way to integrate it rather than exclude it from the tech stack.

Recommendations to others considering the product

although I think is going in the right direction, the lack of complex modeling is very painful

Operational reporting and dashboards. End users are more capable of doing self-service reports without IT crowd intervention given the easy user interface. Report sharing through Table Web portal is very helfull and allows the user community to speak the same language

Tableau Desktop review by User

"Easy, fast, user friendly data visualization"

What do you like best?

So easy to get the hang of and use. Very powerful tool for sifting through large data sets and discovering trends. Also capable of creating custom formulas beyond the raw data. The graphics that tableau makes are easy for even non analytical people to understand, ideal for end users of information as well.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike, besides the access keys are difficult to come by. Many companies will restrict them due to license costs

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's definitely worth the (small) learning curve. Alternatives like Excel are hard to navigate and take up too much time. Tableau does much of the heavy lifting for you, so you can better utilize your time

It have be difficult to send out heavy financial data to operational managers who don't always understand the data and the numbers. The graphics in tableau are very simple and make it easy to get information across different groups of people.

Tableau Desktop review by Cameron L.
Cameron L.

"Tableau is the most easy-to-use and visually impressive data visualization tool I've ever used."

What do you like best?

The visuals are stunning! I've used a lot of different software for run and/or visualize data analytics and none of them come close to this level of quality in the output. It's also incredibly easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Automation isn't as simple/useful as it is with other software, such as R. Another strange, yet very real, dislike it that the software may be too easy to use. The only reason that's a problem is because I've see people without experience in data analytics/statistics create charts, interpret the results, and deliver very inaccurate insights to their DMs. This isn't really a problem with the software, but companies need to make sure that their analysis is run by qualified employees. It's also a big expensive, but maybe that's because I'm used to open source software (R).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Tableau offers a free trial. Download it and toss in some data to seem what it's capable of, how much better its output looks than other software's output, and how easy it is to use. Unless you need frequent automation, you'll like the product.

We run analytics for other companies, and our clients are frequently blow away by the level of depth and quality of our reports. It's great with marketing/sales data, product data, operations/financial data, Research Data, and anything else you can throw at it. We use it most frequently to visualize Customer Lifetime Value to our clients.

"Fantastic software"

What do you like best?

This takes your data and converts it into amazing interacting graphs. I thought Excel was fantastic however this is alot better. Its more simple too, all drag and drop rather than vlookups. It takes seconds to create an inviting graph from the inserted data.

What do you dislike?

There is an annoying bug when connected Netezza when using my Microsoft surface. I think it is to do with the DPI of the software. the connection box is half missing when typing in. I did report it to Tableau but they were unsuccessful in fixing the issue. The work around is to use an external monitor. The other downside is the licensing costs. its very expensive. Lucky they have now added a subscription model to help stem this issue

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is multiple options to create really professional visualisations. It looks amazing. I used it with mapping postcodes, it does require some knowledge of prepping data however with a couple of clicks there is great visuals. On top of this you can publish the data and make it interactive to the end user. as a result I highly recommend this.

Its ease to use , just simply connect to a csv file to the data and within minutes you have amazing professional visualisation of your data. its really quick and easy

Tableau Desktop review by Maxwell J.
Maxwell J.

"Tableau Desktop - Where data speaks"

What do you like best?

The best part about Tableau desktop is the ease of use. I use it every day and I think that a huge reason for that is how comfortable it was to learn the software. Although, this is due to me putting in the time to learn how to leverage the platform. But I couldn't do my job without this tool.

What do you dislike?

My only gripe with Tableau Desktop would have to be that there wasn't a whole lot of resources for me to get acquainted with the platform. I do dislike for how robust it is, Tableau hasn't quite gotten to the point where they can showcase all of the different features that are available. It would be really nice if they could almost format some of the available features with separate toolboxes instead of hiding some of the best features in the tabs above.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I honestly believe that Tableau Desktop is the optimal tool to analyze any and all data. I don't know what else I would use to get the kind of information that I receive from analyzing my data in Tableau Desktop.

I use Tableau Desktop to optimize all of my marketing campaigns. The benefits that can come from this optimization could be savings worth up to hundreds of thousands. Not to mention raising the ROI on almost every campaign I run after optimizing. This has been crucial since I currently work with 20+ vendors every quarter.

Tableau Desktop review by Pavan G.
Pavan G.

"Visualize data like never before "

What do you like best?

The extensive and free resources available on the official Tableau website lets anyone quickly understand the features and build visualizations. Data from various sources like Excel, PDF, text file etc cane be easily connected and further, cleaned (with an in-build feature named Tableau prep). The recommended type of visualization from the wide gamut of options helps develop better results. The new dashboard and new story features where-in various worksheets can be combined to tell a story makes it stand out from the other similar software available in market. Not only visualizations, but also various complex analytics pertaining to data can be easily enabled through the software.

What do you dislike?

For large data sizes, the software gets stuck and sometimes goes to the extent of crashing. Also, Tableau prep tool is not very effective for cleaning purpose.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If the data makes no sense at all, it is good to evaluate other similar tools which are providing various possible hypothesis once the data is loaded.

I utilized Tableau to develop visualizations such as heat maps, histograms, line graphs, pie charts etc. and further developed worksheets, dashboards and stories to present business case as part of my Master's coursework.Apart from visualizations, it helped me perform various complex analysis and also enabled sensitivity analysis through its features like parameter control and filtering.

Tableau Desktop review by Nirmaan A.
Nirmaan A.

"A perfect BI tool for small to mid level data reporting initiative"

What do you like best?

Quick learning curve,

Good connectivity with an array of data sources,

Lots of internet forum support,

Good After-sales service by the company,

Comparatively cheaper than other services like Power BI and SAP Lumira,

Good online resources available for learning the tool.

What do you dislike?

Not very versatile,

The scale up cost can go up pretty quickly,

Has performance issues with big data sets,

Not a good Stand-alone tool. Need a data integration tool like alteryx or pentaho in the back end.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Talk to a rep and ask for a trial version. It is a great tool, but its not for everyone.

I used it to customer re-targeting for Xfinitiy Mobile, a comcast company.

Since we get data from Salesforce, A big data lake and flat files. The reporting is seamless and the turnaround is quick!

Tableau offers a variety of features to build interactive maps, connects to an array of online APIs(like twitter) to pull data. Reporting is good both in live connections as well as data extracts which can be done at a desired cadence.

Tableau Desktop review by Ethan  D.
Ethan D.

"Easy to turn lots of data into distilled insight"

What do you like best?

Tableau's capability to connect to, join, and detect relationship between many different types of data sources helps tremendously when trying to derive business intelligence from complex and varied business processes.

What do you dislike?

Tableau can have a steep learning curve for those approaching the tool for the first time, but the time spent mastering the basics will pay dividends.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This tool is well worth it if you have business intelligence / data visualization needs. Don't be overwhelmed by the learning curve. For guides, don't forget to Google your problem, and watch YouTube tutorials on using Tableau.

We conducted a business process optimization review using analysis from Tableau. Using the software, we were able to bring in data from many varied sources that our process touched, and connect them in the software according to their real relationships in the process. We were able to discover bottlenecks and deficiencies in the process that we had not seen or sized before.

Tableau Desktop review by Dana B.
Dana B.

"Great Reporting Tool or Pivot on Steroids "

What do you like best?

I am a Tableau power user, thought I am only scratching on the surface of all its capabilities. The options for reporting are endless and data can be pulled in from data bases or imported directly from Excel.

What do you dislike?

When we run issues with data sources we always depend on help from the tech team. Software updates also only work when we update our data bases as well, so sometimes it takes some time until we are able to take advantage of new features etc. With the latest update I've also experiences problems with frequent crashing.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't get overwhelmed by the setup process and just play with it. It's a very powerful tool that makes data analysis easy.

We use Tableau to combine a number of data sources and report on performance of all different channels and programs that drive traffic to our websites. It's most used by the marketing team for all paid acquisition channels.

Tableau Desktop review by User

"One of the best tools I have used for visualization of data"

What do you like best?

The best feature of Tableau is the amount of documentation available for new users. I feel that kind of documentation helps everyone to come onboard and try things with a tableau. I have used this software for various projects and never had a problem with any number of datasets. Indeed it is one of the best software for visualization.

What do you dislike?

The thing which does not go well with me for Tableau is the high pricing. For students, it is free up until there i20 period but it is a bit too costly for individuals. Hence, I personally feel they should regulate their pricing structure.

We have a dataset for a US pharmaceutical company and we extensively use Tableau for reporting purposes. With Tableau the data connections to different software are so seamless that it makes our jobs as consultants to visualize anything using Tableau. Hence, I recommend all the companies to use Tableau for reporting needs.

Tableau Desktop review by Greg P.
Greg P.

"The Industry Standard Data Visualization Tool"

What do you like best?

Lots of Data Connectors

Almost unlimited Data Viz Potential

Big community for support

Polished Vizzes that are easy to create

Easy to create multi-chart Dashboards that can interact with each other.

Quick data to insight ability (as long as your data is OK)

What do you dislike?

Tableau is not a data warehouse, so you cannot assume you can load entire tables with multi-million row datasets into it and expect your fully interactive dashboard to perform. Perhaps with a later version this will be addressed.

While almost any kind of Viz is possible in Tableau it is not immediately obvious to what is possible. So there is a learning curve involved. Once you get it though, you get it.

Can be slow working with large datasets.

Tableau interface can incorrectly assume what viz you are after.

Tableau's customer support is not so good anymore

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want an industry standard tool for Visualizations then Tableau is a good answer. There is a huge user base that you can rely on for support. Tableau as an organisation seems to be very passionate about their users and product, they are here to stay.

- Analytics around our customer funnel (Signup/Confirm/Convert)

- Analytics around our customer usage

- Accounting reports

- Presenting Company goal performance

- Historical Reports

Tableau Desktop review by Joyce L.
Joyce L.

"Why use Tableau for visual reporting"

What do you like best?

Easily accessible anytime/anywhere for clients, automated a lot of manual updated to charts and graphs in excel that were pdf and emailed out.

More robust visualization of data and metrics that were not available in excel, SAS or business objects

What do you dislike?

some of the functionality that was easy to create/change in excel has to be manipulated in Tableau to get the same results

Recommendations to others considering the product

Evaluate the time and resources currently dedicated to maintaining reporting/metrics that could be shifted to analytics using Tableau. Also great way to present data vs. the usual power point presentations that take time to create/update for each meeting.

Time efficiency : daily reporting is now automatically updated from SQL server

More analytics: time is now spent on analytics with data and easier to report and visualize for executive leadership levels

Tableau Desktop review by Jhon p.
Jhon p.

"Tableau smart"

What do you like best?

What I like most is the ease and simplicity with which you can build control boards and the layout of maps to facilitate even more the monitoring of projects.The availability of different graphics facilitates the construction of different approaches for analysis and evaluation.

What do you dislike?

It would be interesting to be able to interact with the points on the map, as well as the graphics to avoid placing filters in the interface. On the other hand, it is necessary to use tachometer-type graphics to apply them in some performance indicators.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend it because it is a versatile, simple and easy to use tool, which in turn offers multiple options to make business intelligence without major investments of time and money.

The business problems that I am solving with this tool is the monitoring of projects and the diagnosis of areas of interest to make structural decisions in real time.

Tableau Desktop review by Amanda P.
Amanda P.

"Best in class for dashboards"

What do you like best?

It's a great tool for data visualizations and reporting.

What do you dislike?

Many things that seem like they should be simple actually are not. There are work arounds, level of detail formulas, and the like to handle many of the issues. But at the end of the day you should pair tableau with Alteryx or another data cleansing tool. It speeds things up and helps tableau understand the data.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There is a learning curve but it's worth learning. It's a good tool on its own. It's fantastic when paired with Alteryx.

Side note to the questionaire.. I don't know what the context is of more or less. I answered as what I use it for more or less.

All of our reports are created and published with Tableau Desktop. It handles large amounts of data well, depending on what you are trying to accomplish.

Tableau Desktop review by Watcharin U.
Watcharin U.

"Good BI Tool"

What do you like best?

Good tool for Analyse data and easy to create BI Report. We can create multi dimension report. Fast to open file. Easy to create task Schedule to synchronize data. We can share file for analysis to co worker. It can import many source type such as Excel File, SQL Server.

What do you dislike?

We can't share anonymous user for analysis. We can't to upload to cloud. We only share static report to anonymous user by upload to cloud. It hard to trace error of data. Some feature It hard to use like drag and drop to this tool and user much to remember to special function.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Good Tool for BI

Create analytic report and analyse problem.

Tableau Desktop review by Ignasi P.
Ignasi P.

"One of the best data analysis softwares"

What do you like best?

The amount of external integrations you can connect and the way you can merge, mix and cross multisources of data is phenomenal. Also you can export the data into different formats and use them with other softwares to complement and increase the power of Tableau

What do you dislike?

The graphical output could be improved in terms of visual information. Sometimes the graphical options and the user experience, you have for representing complex data are not the optimal for your requirements

Recommendations to others considering the product

Tableau is undoubtely a very good option for data analysis. The learning curve can be hard at the begining but after the juice you can extract is valuable for decisions based on data

We are using Tableau as the main analytical tool for reporting and creating insights by connecting our internal database, google analytics, and other third party sources

Tableau Desktop review by User in Research
User in Research

"Great visualization tool"

What do you like best?

The ability to take an ordinary spreadsheet and create dashboards and graphic illustrations of our alumni and prospect data. We are also able to combine data from multiple spreadsheets into one data set very easily and then pull variables into different graphs and charts that are easy to understand. We can track fundraising metrics and contact goals, combine data for the entire institution or look at individual performance goals.

What do you dislike?

Tableau is not very intuitive and requires a good bit of exposure and training in order to fully utilize all of its great features. There are tutorials to assist in many of the projects that can be used to assist, but for those who are hands-on learners, it is more difficult to get the hang of

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a great tool if you are looking for dashboard or reporting software that is more affordable than purchasing a full-blown CRM system with reporting functions built in. It allows you to see your data and make more informed strategic decisions about future plans, campaigns and initiatives

We have been able to isolate our most productive regions in the US in terms of charitable giving which has allowed our fundraisers to prioritize their fundraising portfolios based on past performance. We have also been able to visually depict our alumni households throughout the US and create new alumni chapters based on where most of our graduates live and work

Tableau Desktop review by Wendy G.
Wendy G.

"Tableau Data Visualization"

What do you like best?

coming from the old school of Microsoft SSRS, Crystal Reports, Business Objects, tableau is so easy to use. You can design a sharp dashboard quickly.

Features are great, once you understand the console and green and blue pills

The community is the best. Each time i run into a roadblock, google leads me to community and users who have taken the time to share their solutions. Tableau users are so enthusiastic to share their visualizations, solutions, and workarounds.

The company also responds well to user requests. They did so by launching new features in 10.5 (read my blog to learn my favorite enhancements in Tableau 10.5! https://www.captechconsulting.com/blogs/my-five-favorite-enhancements-in-tableau)

Tableau is a deep product. there is so much below the standard bar charts and cross tabs, if you know how to or take the time to learn.

What do you dislike?

Some functionality seems like it should be out of the box. In my experience being good at tableau entails being creative at workarounds. I love and get frustrated by this.

clear all filters, navigation buttons (aside from story points), reference line tooltip customization are a few. i'm not saying these are simple to code for.

Data driven insights. various operational reporting. on the fly data analysis

Tableau Desktop review by Daniel V.
Daniel V.

"Get ready to build something cool...after you get over the learning curve"

What do you like best?

What I like best about Tableau Desktop is the end results that it can create! The power that Tableau Desktop gives the creator of the dashboards to combine various types of data from various sources into an expansive and interactive display, is very neat. It can rely on the power of Tableau Server behind the scenes to do the heavy lifting of refreshes and computing, not the end user's Desktop version.

What do you dislike?

Oh, the learning curve. It is one that bears similarities to some Adobe products. True that it is not as bad as other visual analytics creation software that requires the user to know SQL or even some programming...but portions of the Tableau Desktop are less-than-intuitive per several of the users that I have supported.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure your users take full advantage of Tableau's user community, the online training videos, and any other training & support that Tableau offers (and you can afford). It can be a powerful tool if you have the budget and skills for it!

The business problem what we were able to solve with Tableau Desktop is to be able to publish to our on-premise Tableau Server from our locally-installed software. This has enabled our publishers to connect data sources for others to be able to use also (in Web Edit) to build and modify dashboards.

Tableau Desktop review by Shreya D.
Shreya D.

"Tableau - A tool for Data Visualization"

What do you like best?

It helps us to visualize and understand data. Helps in business analysis, predict market trends. Caters to the needs of an organization. Can be integrated with different kinds of data sources like excel, csv, different kinds of databases like Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle. The latest version of tableau allows data from different sources to be accessed at the same time from different sources and create cross data joins. This helps in the analytics tremendously. Custom geographic locations can also be created using latest version of tableau.

What do you dislike?

Need some understanding of statistics to use this software, cannot retrieve previous versions of the same file created. So, version management is a problem. Left joins cannot be created during data loading. These need to be created separately using blends. Dashboard interface is not easy to use. It's difficult to adjust and place the different sheets in dashboard while working on a laptop. takes up a lot of memory. High license cost. The data cleansing features of tableau needs to be improvised. It understands data only in certain predefined format. Loading and refreshing data is slow.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use tableau if you don't want to code. You can analyze the data in charts, bar graphs, pie diagrams form. This kind of visualization helps the marketing team to study the data.

Business Intelligence tool: Analyze sales, predict business trends, analyze profits/loss, analyze ROI. The enterprise data analysis has helped in making decisions and improve business.

Tableau Desktop review by Sarit S.
Sarit S.

"Very easy to learn and use. Build industry standard eye catching visualization."

What do you like best?

Flawless drag and drop capability followed by automatic chart selection based on the data. Its capability to aggregate data in the visualizations at different dimension level using LOD expressions. High speed data extract creation and faster vizs.

What do you dislike?

No easy way for nested sorting based on the desired dimension level.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Creation of extracts from a data table of over a billion records in Google Big Query might be difficult. Multiple times it failed to created for me.

Apart from this, as long as the data table isn't that big, Tableau works great. Great tool when it comes to ad hoc programming and really a best way for users like me to easily surprise supervisors.

After the inclusion of Hyper, data extracts creation now are very fast.

internal data KPIs. Fast and effective way of showing data anomalies.

Tableau Desktop review by Aishwarya R.
Aishwarya R.

"Is Tableau the best?"

What do you like best?

One feature that I admire the most about Tableau is the "Drag and Drop" feature. It makes it easier to work.

No prior coding skills required to use tableau.

What do you dislike?

One of the best features i.e. drag and drop turns out to be a bane to tableau.

No ETL capabilities makes it just a front end design tool

Recommendations to others considering the product

Bring in ETL capabilities.

I have been using tableau to complete my school projects.

I am finding the factors affecting the business of a manufacturing company and providing recommendations based on this analysis.

I have also used it to showcase the regression and predictive analysis of diabetic patients.

Tableau Desktop review by Vipul S.
Vipul S.

"Ease to use-> Basic Knowledge Needed"

What do you like best?

1. Drag & Drop Facility. User-friendly and basic knowledge of Database is needed.

What do you dislike?

License is expensive. 3d Graphs should be implemented in this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I will suggest this tool for those people who want to analyze their data but don't want to put more efforts in writing query each time. In this, you only need a basic knowledge of joining table and know how the tables are linked to each other. You only need to write query in very rare case. And the tool is very fast in giving the analyses. The only thing is that you may forget how to write query after using this software. But your logic will be strong.

I am solving about how many sells we have done in a month, week, quarter and year. Pictorial representation helps in understanding the trend of sales.

Tableau Desktop review by yorgelis h.
yorgelis h.

"The best to present reliable data"

What do you like best?

What I like the most is that I can get graphs, reports, maps of data that I have in several databases in a fast and safe way, in real time, I can make Dashboards which I can add global filters that make the search for information easier.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that the application sometimes gets a little slow and sometimes it gives an error to save and does not make the changes made, if you open several tableau the internet slows down.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend it to all companies that have many databases and a lot of information and need to have the information in an organized and real time, this application is perfect for any type of growing company

It helps us to perform statistical calculations, to have information in a fast and real-time way, for being a very intelligent platform completely renewed, the information is displayed in a very friendly way and can be shared with a link and viewed on mobile devices and computers.

Tableau Desktop review by Aslesha G.
Aslesha G.

"Easy and excellent tool for visualization"

What do you like best?

It is very easy tool to understand and use. It works on SQL so it is really easy to handle data. Plus calculated fields make it easier to drive analysis in an efficient way.

What do you dislike?

Well, it is an excellent tool. But while adding calculated fields, i would suggest if they could add some common formulas. Like while creating population density by zip code. When there is zip code and population available in data set, and it would be helpful if you can have pre-defined calculated field made already!

Likewise there are more use-cases which could be really helpful while analysis.

I use tableau for visualization. I have created dashboard to keep track of all major parameters in my team.

I have created dashboard where i can track top 10 content viewed on my application. Feedback reviews via cloud tag.

Tableau Desktop review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Tableau Desktop - Great for Combining Data"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to manipulate all of my variables! I can show my data in whatever format I want, either in a table or a type of chart. It is also very easy to design a chart the way you want it; there is no recommended format in the application, although you can get recommendations from coworkers.

What do you dislike?

If you have data coming in from a lot of different sources, there is a higher chance that some of the data will not travel through the funnel completely. If there is a problem with the data, it requires a lot of backtracking to find the source of the problem.

My company uses Tableau to ensure we are hitting profitability and lead goals. We combine many different data sources to create the most accurate picture of our current standing.

Tableau Desktop review by Marty A.
Marty A.

"Tableau developer Expert (Jedi)"

What do you like best?

Ease of use and ability to quickly get started with no previous experience. A natural path from excel analysis to Tableau.

Once you get started, you can share insights with others and then iterate through improved versions taking advantage of powerful features.

Tableau desktop always encourages visualization best practices.

What do you dislike?

I often find myself having to reshape the data slightly to make it easier for creating the visualizations. Tableau has made huge improvements in lightweight data prep within Tableau. They are addressing this issue by introducing a self-service data prep tool, shortly by Q4 2017 or soon after.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The popularity of Tableau has proved to be an excellent resource for training our developers, finding short-term resources and getting answers to questions through Tableau's FREE training site, in addition to Forums and user groups. As with most software try before you buy.

What business problems are we not solving with Tableau Desktop? Everything from lead generations to workforce management. Financial analysis and both internal facing and customer facing dashboards. We are seeing better decision making by being able to track our marketing efforts and creating efficiencies in teams to be able to better help our customers, in turn, helping ourself and increasing revenue.

Tableau Desktop review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"Powerful data visualization tool"

What do you like best?

Tableau is one of the market leaders for analytics and data visualization. Ability to build quick, simple and at the same time powerful charts. It as has a very user friendly interface. Also, you can build interfaces and connect it to company´s ERP, CRM and other suites.

What do you dislike?

I don´t have cons to add. I really recommend this tool. There are several others data visualization tools in the market but this is the one I've been using with more frequency due to its attributes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try first to understand the dynamics of the software. Once you learn it thoroughly, you wil be able to build more and more complex charts.

Ability to centralize data with a one single source of truth. Integration with legacy systems. User friendly interface making it less complex to business users. This tool is becoming one of the standards for analytics and data visualization in this new digital and disruptive era.

Tableau Desktop review by Kaylee A.
Kaylee A.

"Great Visualization Service"

What do you like best?

I like that everything is drag and drop, which makes experimenting with different visualizations very easy. Also that the visualizations update automatically when you make changes to the data in your excel document.

What do you dislike?

There is not much that I dislike, but sometimes the system gets confused when you upload multiple sheets from a single excel document.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great for those who have experience with visualizing, but best for those who have little to no experience. If you have a lot of experience with visualization, you may find that the software doesn't fit all of your needs or do everything you want it to do.

I teach this software in my art markets classes, where our teaching team shows students how to visualize non-conventional data. Because it is so easy to use, our humanities students who are not often exposed to data visualization prior to taking our classes really benefit from this software and are able to learn how to use data efficiently even in non-STEM fields.

Tableau Desktop review by User

"Useful, but with a learning curve"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to create visualizations for business purposes using this technology--once you have learned to use it properly. I also really like how much support there is for this product, both from Tableau and the Tableau community.

What do you dislike?

It is not a super intuitive product. I would definitely recommend taking a class to begin your implementation of this product. Both for the administrator and actual user/creator.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommend but with the caution that implementation will take work; however, the work will be worth it if you regularly make visualizations with large datasets.

We use Tableau Desktop to create interactive dashboards for clients. We are still in the learning process of how to best design these dashboards so they can be used successfully. Once we have a bit more experience I believe these dashboards will be very popular products.

Tableau Desktop review by Administrator in Staffing and Recruiting
Administrator in Staffing and Recruiting

"The Best BI Tool"

What do you like best?

The amount of different Viz's you can make. There is a ton of customization, not only in aesthetics, but also in transforming the data. Things like changing how dates are evaluated/represented, to the insane amount of colors. Also it can connect to a TON of data sources, with a lot of customization into the data you're pulling from the data sources. I've found other products pull the data without showing you how, so when things go wrong, its hard figuring out why. Also there is a ton of online blogs/tutorials on Tableau. It has a huge user base, so that helps a ton when trying to figure out problems.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is steep. It took me a good 8 months to really feel confident in it. You can watch all the videos you want, but the only way to learn is to dive in (like most things). Also data prep is a huge undertaking. I work with less than perfect data, so I have to do alot of cleaning up. However they did just add a new product (Tableau Prep) to help solve this problem. However, its an additional cost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get this product- its price is very reasonable, the power of it is amazing, and the user base is large.

Presenting data to upper management in an easy and quick way. They are way more likely to be interested in data if it is easy to understand, and Tableau allows us to do this.

Tableau Desktop review by Aleksandra M.
Aleksandra M.

"Really impressive looking reports and easy to navigate"

What do you like best?

The charts and graphs come formatted and you don't need to spend a lot of time formatting. Once you have the data you can actually use it to present your finding or do analysis.

What do you dislike?

There are limitations what can be done with the data within Tableau; some limitation on the formatting; Also learning curve to learn yet another data visualization tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure you understand how much work you need to put in the data before assuming everything will look great. You need to have the data in a usable format in order to use it. Great if you are switching from Excel or Access but not if you think this will be magic and require no work.

Financial reporting to senior management; monthly and quarterly report distribution to mid level managers. We use to present budgets, goals and past year success; Multiple scorecards and KPI Reports. We also distribute the detail level data along with the report if there are questions about data elements not displayed in the reports.

Learning about Tableau Desktop?

* We monitor all Tableau Desktop reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.