Smartling

Smartling

Smartling works with major content platforms and workflows to help leading brands seamlessly integrate translation into their systems.

Work for Smartling?

Learning about Smartling?

Smartling Reviews

Ask Smartling a Question
Showing 123 Smartling reviews
Brian S.

"Useful translation platform."

What do you like best?

The api makes Smartling easy to install and easy to use. The flexibility of the workflows, to be able to customise for your purposes. Its enabled us to have 13 EU market teams log in per project and validate/review quality of translation -something previous workflows/systems had not allowed. Thus the feedback from colleagues has been good.

What do you dislike?

Costing of processed words is our biggest bugbear. The explanation of this depending on the account manager changed, and it has made budgeting difficult.

Also with flexibility comes over complication > more consultancy & a clearer vision of what could be most efficient for our type of business # of brands & workflows using the system, would make the entire vendor/client relationship much more successful.

Established a centralised translation memory for multiple workflows.

Platform still allows markets with their favourite translation agency to use the platform.

Platform also linke (albeit XML's) to our DAM tool as well as Sitecore CMS (api) > interconnectivity.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Smartling
Mobina K.

"Functional & Easy to Use Translation Platform"

What do you like best?

The most attractive feature of Smartling to me is its super user-friendly interface. What makes this platform -for me- even more handy and useful is how I can translate videos so quickly, so easy, string by string, while having the most control upon subtitle synchronization with the dialogues. Simultaneously I have access to suggested translations which benefits me time to time in managing and improving my translation quality and also reducing the time that I should have spend on my translation.

What do you dislike?

Actually, I've never faced any serious problem working with this platform but I, if I want to mention something that I prefer it another way, would be the crowded and classic desktop scheme _I opt a modern and minimal graphics and desktop, it help me to concentrate more- which I assume due to all the options and accessibility that Smartling offers, is sort of Inevitable in this case.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend Smartling to the organizations and companies which work in the area of making subtitle and translation for videos -specifically educational videos-, it's easy, really applicable and fast.

I'm working as a volunteer translator at Coursera translation community. Translating and subtitling education videos is a time-consuming process which also calls for high accuracy; Smartling has been a great help in addressing both those concerns with offering various useful options and applications to its users.

What Translation Management solution do you use?

Nancy O.

"Incredibly powerful and flexible tool with responsive customer support"

What do you like best?

Smartling makes my life easy. I haven't been a customer all that long, but we were literally up and running with our first site in two weeks. The support from our account manager and development is first-rate, and because we also use Smartling's translation services (although you can use your own), we really can't fail with the platform.

What do you dislike?

I'm still learning the ins and outs of the platform, but I haven't found anything I don't like yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ask questions, learn all you can, and if possible, connect with other customers to make implementation as easy as possible.

With Smartling, we're making our website a truly global presence, and localizing in six languages, with the probability of more languages soon. Having localized websites gives our sales team so much more leverage and we expect to exponentially increase sales using Smartling.

We use Wordpress for our corporate sites and Smartling integrates beautifully with the tool.

Aideen S.

"Fantastic product - helped us get to market faster"

What do you like best?

It was super easy to get started. We had a dedicated Customer Success Manager (who was awesome by the way!) who helped us get trained on the platform and start translating quickly. The ability to set up customized workflows and the visual-context provided to our translators is a huge pro - both of these things have had a big impact on quality. Our previous translation process was manual and took weeks in some cases. Smartling has streamlined these processes and cut down our time to market to days.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike with this platform. I’m looking forward to seeing how the Quality Confidence Score feature continues to develop.

Smartling enables us to be in global markets, at ease and with speed. Our addressable market has been significantly increased as a result of translating our assets. Finally, our time to market has been reduced which allows us to move faster and iterate/test quickly as needed.

Zachary H.

"Smartling makes my life easier everyday"

What do you like best?

I love that I have easy access to everything in one place. Being able to manage jobs, perform translations, track string progress, and have visibility into what out LSPs are up to really gives me the freedom to own the localization process at Lyft.

One of my favorite features is the Global Search function. Being able to look for strings across language and across projects is key for our success. Also, being able to edit the translation memory directly and then push those changes out to all projects really makes my life easier.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can be a bit of an overload of information, which I don't really mind. Smartling has so many features and capabilities, it can be a little tedious sometimes to find exactly what I'm looking for.

We could not have localized Lyft without the use of Smartling. Through their suite of APIs and connectors, we were able to innovate and build a pipeline that works for our translation needs and turnaround times.

We have been able to create a centralized translation hub for our internal clients using Smartling. We heavily leverage the self-service translation request portal in order to drive the efficiency of our operation.

Eleonora R.

"Smartling for MK"

What do you like best?

I like how Smartling is directly connected to our website, so that we can ingest content for translation during the testing phase. This makes the translation process very dynamic and fluid :)

What do you dislike?

It would be great if Smartling included more options and filters for file-based translation. I think it's great that technology is moving towards automated processes, but I feel like everyone still relies A LOT on files to translate their content so it would be great to include more features like filters for file import and, in general, to have more control on the content that is managed offline through files such as Excel or PowerPoint.

Also, the SmartMatch function may sometimes cause troubles as content can be pushed live without receiving approval for a particular context (some words might require different translations depending on the context).

I use Smartling on a daily basis to translate content that comes directly from the website or that is pulled from our content management platform.

Jack S.

"A smooth experience that makes translating content easy"

What do you like best?

The way Smartling integrates completely with our web CMS (Contentful) makes translating a fast process. The fact translators know immediately when we change copy on site is especially useful, as we're often switching messaging or information. It's also great that so many languages are available.

What do you dislike?

Onboarding was a slow process — although to be fair Smartling were still in the process of creating their Contentful connector at that time. Translation quality is excellent when it comes to accuracy but translators often need guidance when it comes to the tone of marketing messaging, which it can be harder for a smaller company without a range of multilingual staff to provide.

Trying to translate our content into a number of languages with limited resources as a medium sized company. Smartling has been perfect for this, as after the onboarding process it has only required one manager (myself). We also have ad hoc translation tasks that Smartling have been very helpful in translating.

Jovan R.

"Great Product - Incredible Support Team"

What do you like best?

How the product is always moving forward, and how responsive our dedicated support representatives are. Whenever I have issues, they're addressed IMMEDIATELY. In addition, with the right team building it, integrations with other applications are seamless and robust. Couple that with an A1 help center (documentation) and impeccable customer service, you'll love this product.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, our individual needs/desires for the product aren't met; certain enhancements seem to be put on the roadmap and never really addressed. Although this is expected with a large client base, being that we are a large company of our own, it would be nice to be able to personalize the application a bit more (without altering other client's products).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

With any application, it's going to take some work and time to master. With that said, the Smartling team supports you the entire way. The documentation that they have available is always helpful, and personally, our "Team Leads" (aka Account Execs) are knowledgeable, responsive, and incredibly helpful. Make sure that you develop good relationships with your customer success executives, and I guarantee you'll find this product beneficial (and a lot easier to master).

Note: I was not a part of the company when the initial implementation was done.

Decreasing bounce rates and increasing revenue by providing quality translated and localized content. We've seen a tremendous amount of savings as we've built up our Translation Memory. In addition, we've been able to hold our outside vendors and internal project managers accountable as a "history" of each string is kept.

Akande D.

"Excellent for scaling translations for enterprises"

What do you like best?

I loved that Smartling integrates with so many of our current technology partners like Drupal and Marketo. We are subtle to push translations easily and see the process from start to finish. Couldn’t be bigger fans.

What do you dislike?

It is a new platform so we have some trouble getting training materials or getting support at times. This isn't something that takes away from the value that they provide however, just something to be mindful of after the on-boarding process is complete.

We are solving the issue of translation management and have realized cost and time savings. We are able to translate more words faster and do it more cost effectively.

Mitchell C.

"Great translation management platform!"

What do you like best?

Smartling has an intuitive interface that makes it easy for our company to translate content across teams and projects. Additionally, Smartling's Language Services team does an excellent job maintaining a high standard of translation for our team.

What do you dislike?

While we have run into some issues with their APIs or integrations, the Smartling team has done an excellent job of prioritizing these features and getting them resolved quickly.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Their Customer Success and Language Services teams are great. As an admin of the service, they make my job easy by being responsive and helpful. From my perspective, the level of customer service and care is a real differentiator.

Smartling allows our company to efficiently manage our translation process so that we can focus on serving customers and growing our business internationally. Without Smartling, we would really struggle to grow internationally as quickly as we have to date.

Claudia M.

"Context is everything"

What do you like best?

My favorite feature in Smartling isthe Context window, In this window, I can see where my text will be inserted in real time, so I have the context and can produce the best translation possible.

What do you dislike?

I miss a spell checker for BR Portuguese. And I think it would be good if I could export the text to use Microsoft Word spell checker, which is the best for me.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Mind the context.

I realized that I can communicate with managers and other people responsible for the text and ask questions before I finish my translations, and it helps me to solve issues related to text.

Brendan T.

"Smartling enables hands-free translation for us! "

What do you like best?

Awesome tool. Easy to set-up and use. The most extensive API docs that I've seen for translation tools. Internal reviewers love the tool, particularly the visual context provided to show how the translations will appear once live.

What do you dislike?

Nothing major has come up. On-boarding was very smooth. Translation quality is much improved compared to our previous tool/process.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

We initially used another lighter weight translation tool but had to switch to Smartling after 6 months. We didn't appropriately anticipate the features/functionality required to provide high quality translations in a hands-free manner. My advice to users considering translation tools is to thoroughly think through your requirements and related features required.

Translation just happens! After initial configuration, there's very little work to be done in terms of on-going maintenance (from an engineering point of view).

Alex B.

"Sophisticated TMS platform with top-notch technical integration options"

What do you like best?

Knowledgeable and responsive support team, and solid integrations with other parts of our tech stack (WordPress, Marketo, Contentful, GitHub). Once you understand the complexity, there are a lot of very powerful options available. This is definitely a platform that can support our localization needs far into the future as we grow.

What do you dislike?

The dashboard is overly complex (they're working on it...) and some parts seem designed specifically for users of the GDN service. Documentation could be more robust — some docs are great, but others (especially the technical ones) are less comprehensive and don't match up well with what's available from others in the market (e.g., Localize.js).

Localizing our product and marketing campaigns so that we can successfully enter international markets. We've just started the process, but so far Smartling has been a critical part of keeping things centralized and efficient.

Paweł S.

"Best for international group of coworkers"

What do you like best?

I like the straightforward UI, which helps me to stay on the track while doing lots of assignments on Smartling.

What do you dislike?

Maybe the the design of the whole panel is a bit outdated and the team should give it some refreshment in the future.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think that Smartling can dramatically streamline the whole process of translation/localization in your company. Finally it will pay off with satisfaction of your colleagues and improvements in performance of your whole team.

I work for a part of my clients directly via Smartling. It helps me to increase my revenue as a solopreneur. I also learned about some nice features, which are present in Smartling.

Robert S.

"Smartling – powering OpenTable's localisation journey"

What do you like best?

- In general, Smartling enables my team of 2 (including me) to 'punch above our weight' in terms of what we are able to deliver.

- Our organisation's translation and internationalisation needs have grown exponentially over the last two years and Smartling has been able to scale to support these evolving requirements.

- The SmartMatch technology enables us to re-use or adapt translations we've already had done, where they exist – a huge time- and money-saver.

- When things go wrong as they inevitably do, customer support is good overall – responses are prompt and generally resolve issues to my satisfaction.

- The support I receive from my account manager is second-to-none. They are a huge asset to Smartling and, in turn, to me.

What do you dislike?

- Still not easy enough for other stakeholders to capture context for their translations – they report to me that it's too time consuming. More automated solutions would be appreciated.

- Some stakeholders report to me that the UI is difficult to understand / they perceive that it has a steep learning curve. However, support from Smartling that mitigates this is available.

- Roll out of the new CAT tool could have been better managed. This was seen as a key release by Smartling, but for some users, the disadvantages outweighed the advantages and some important features (in the initial release at least) were missing.

- The upgrade of the Smartling API from v1 to v2 was badly mishandled. Initially we were advised that a hard end date was attached to this, we devoted (expensive) development resource to migrating to v2 and then found out – we weren't told directly, rather the information dribbled out of Smartling – that the hard end date for the v1 API had been indefinitely postponed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Smartling has enabled me to continue to meet a diverse set of growing translation and internationalisation requirements at my current organisation. Moreover, it has effectively paid for itself by enabling the re-use/adaptation of existing translations through its SmartMatch technology. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Smartling enables a two-person translation team to manage the diverse localisation needs of an organisation with ambitious international expansion plans. Smartling's SmartMatch technology is saving OpenTable tens of thousands of dollars a year in translation costs.

Gavin F.

"Smartling helps AdRoll reach international markets with ease!"

What do you like best?

Smartling has helped AdRoll reach new markets quickly with quality translations for several years now. Smartling has allowed for hands-free translation management between our various content platforms. We currently utilize several integrations including; Drupal, Zendesk, Github, SendWithUs to name a few. We utilize customizable workflows to ensure that our content is appropriately reviewed and vetted before publishing. Smartling’s quality confidence score provides insights around translation quality and allows us to take a data driven approach to quality management.

Using Smartling's Platinum Support services has helped alleviate the burden of localization project management on the AdRoll marketing team, giving time back to focus on marketing related tasks.

What do you dislike?

Not a lot to report so far! It's intuitive, practical and comes with great support

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You can't fault it

Recently, we were able to quickly launch our new AdRoll group website into 7 languages within just two weeks! Smartling Platinum Support team acts as our localization manager coordinating translation deliveries, and communicating with vendors. Prior to using Smartling Platinum Support, our marketing team were spending approx. 25% of their work-week managing localization projects; now this is down to approx. 5%.

"Best platform for collaboration on translation projects "

What do you like best?

I love the way Smartling structures my translation tasks and allows me to efficiently collaborate with my projects assigners.

What do you dislike?

From the "Projects Dashboard", I wish links would actually take to a separate tab once the user clicks on "View Project". That way, the user would be able to progressively complete each project in a separate tab without having to then click to go back to the "Projects Dashboard". No big deal here but just a helpful way for users to complete their projects.

I review and edit our platforms content that's automatically translated in French (From U.S. English). I like how most of the French translations on Smartling keep the original context (Despite any complexity of the text), thus making my review/edit process less time-consuming.

"Smartling delivers - full stop. "

What do you like best?

Smartling have been terrific to work with; the platform works really well. Very streamlined in terms of process management. Powerful visualization of end product. Great customer service. Comprehensive APIs which really make a difference. In-context translation is much better than the previous tool we utilized and the project management functionality is the best I’ve seen on the market. Our translation processes were previously a major headache and this has all massively changed thanks to Smartling!

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I can think of. just try it for yourself

We’re currently in 5 new language markets, all powered by Smartling. >60% of our revenue comes from non-English speaking markets.

Caroline C.

"Proxy Minimizes Need for Headcount"

What do you like best?

We use GDN and Business Docs, and I like that I don't need a whole web team for our localized sites/collateral. I can pretty much play localization manager for web and print content, and Smartling is a convenient tool for project management, content storage, and translations wrapped up in one neat little package. Oh, and love that it integrates with Marketo!

What do you dislike?

I've had quite a few Customer Success/Account Managers over the years. I realize that's inevitable, and there has always been coverage for support, but it'd be nice to have a bit more stability in my points of contact.

Benefits: Less headcount, less need for site maintenance, I have a handy place to find/filter all translated content, translators/editors can communicate without me playing middle-woman, I don't have to copy and paste translations in/out of a CMS/spreadsheet.

Agata S.

"Easy to use and to learn"

What do you like best?

It's very easy to learn, at least if you already have experience with any other CAT (can't say for those who never used another CAT tool). The option to automatically configure the shortcuts to be the same as to any other tool you may be used to work with is also a plus. The comments and reports sections are also good.

What do you dislike?

The fact that it can only be used online. It would be helpful to be able to used it even when offline.

It's a tool I've learnt to use to provide work to my contractors, so it brings me the benefits of being able to provide more complete translation solutions according to what my clients want from me.

Mitchell C.

"Great Translation Management & Services Platform"

What do you like best?

Smartling has been a great choice as our translation service management platform because of their flexibility and ease of use. Smartling's APIs allow us to automatically pull/push translations into our software, making translation management simple and contained. Additionally, the Smartling Translation Services team does an excellent job providing fast, high-quality translations and great support, simplifying the translation management process for our team.

What do you dislike?

I wish that Smartling allowed for more on-page customization so we could translate different marketing pages in specific pages. That said, it is a great platform overall, and I know the team is working on this type of functionality.

Smartling has allowed our team to translate our product into 5 languages quickly and easily, giving us the ability to expand our user base to global, non-English speaking users.

"Good but expensive tool with room for improvements"

What do you like best?

Efficient tool to manage large volumes of words in different languages and projects. Easy to set up users and workflows. Some great features - but sometimes hard to know about them.

What do you dislike?

Very expensive. Not very user-friendly. You need others tools to manage projects with external people. Not good for transcreation.

We use Smartling daily for almost all of our translations. It works fine for most of our tasks, but there are limitations when it comes to certain projects and processes. I wish it would be more user-friendly and intuitive to use and am looking much forward to the release of the new dashboard features. The possibility to connect it with other tools is great, but it is difficult to set up if you work with many different tools and need to spend in-house development resources to set it up.

The Smartling team is great, very supportive and always quick in getting back to us.

"Best partner in Localization"

What do you like best?

Smartling has been a good partner in the area for which I am responsible - Localisation.

Since the beginning, the entire Smartling team has been involved in optimising the company's needs, always trying to develop it in the time requested or explaining the reasons for the change in the deadline.

The customer support is efficient and readily available, for all kind of questions.

All clients have a Customer Success Manager, who practically forms part of my daily work, trying to anticipate my needs and helping to improve the software in the best way for the company.

I can honestly recommend the company as a good partner, but especially the great staff Jack Welde Co-Founder and CEO has in his Smartling team

What do you dislike?

Use tool in mobile, have the possibility to do short translation from this device. Alert in mobile urgent works

Create a memory of content and workflows in Localization area, that before we have not.

Jennifer P.

"great support team"

What do you like best?

The entire team at Smartling has been behind their product every step of the way. From helping with the GDN setup (in an abbreviated period of time), confirming our content is ingested in the most appropriate way, to supporting us through additional content changes and translations the team has been helpful and cheerful every step of the way.

What do you dislike?

I need to log in a bit more frequently than I do in order to keep up with the untranslated content changes. An automated reminder would be helpful.

We got our site translated to Spanish within 6 weeks--allowing us to expand into additional markets and capitalize on keywords we were already using.

Jason G. L.

"Speedy, accurate, and agile"

What do you like best?

The best thing is the ability to go back and forth with a translator on a single string all from within the application. The software is a huge plus, they continue to amaze me with new integrations and development of new features that make it easy to support multiple languages.

What do you dislike?

The most difficult part about Smartling today is the lack of ability to invoice for a bundle of translations. The monthly translation invoice is great for our business-as-usual costs, but when we bring a new language online, we would prefer to pay for that whole bundle as a single lump sum.

We were able to cut our translation time in half and maintain accuracy while improving our collaboration with translators and internal reviewers.

Learn more about Smartling

Smartling Videos

Learning about Smartling?

* We monitor all Smartling reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.