What do you like best?
- In general, Smartling enables my team of 2 (including me) to 'punch above our weight' in terms of what we are able to deliver.
- Our organisation's translation and internationalisation needs have grown exponentially over the last two years and Smartling has been able to scale to support these evolving requirements.
- The SmartMatch technology enables us to re-use or adapt translations we've already had done, where they exist – a huge time- and money-saver.
- When things go wrong as they inevitably do, customer support is good overall – responses are prompt and generally resolve issues to my satisfaction.
- The support I receive from my account manager is second-to-none. They are a huge asset to Smartling and, in turn, to me.
What do you dislike?
- Still not easy enough for other stakeholders to capture context for their translations – they report to me that it's too time consuming. More automated solutions would be appreciated.
- Some stakeholders report to me that the UI is difficult to understand / they perceive that it has a steep learning curve. However, support from Smartling that mitigates this is available.
- Roll out of the new CAT tool could have been better managed. This was seen as a key release by Smartling, but for some users, the disadvantages outweighed the advantages and some important features (in the initial release at least) were missing.
- The upgrade of the Smartling API from v1 to v2 was badly mishandled. Initially we were advised that a hard end date was attached to this, we devoted (expensive) development resource to migrating to v2 and then found out – we weren't told directly, rather the information dribbled out of Smartling – that the hard end date for the v1 API had been indefinitely postponed.
Recommendations to others considering the product:
Smartling has enabled me to continue to meet a diverse set of growing translation and internationalisation requirements at my current organisation. Moreover, it has effectively paid for itself by enabling the re-use/adaptation of existing translations through its SmartMatch technology. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
What problems are you solving with the product? What benefits have you realized?
Smartling enables a two-person translation team to manage the diverse localisation needs of an organisation with ambitious international expansion plans. Smartling's SmartMatch technology is saving OpenTable tens of thousands of dollars a year in translation costs.