Sanity Reviews & Product Details

Sanity Overview

What is Sanity?

Sanity is a content platform that’s built to be built on - trusted by industry leaders such as Nike, Sonos, Cloudflare, National Geographic, Eurostar, Invision, and Netlify. Sanity has customisation at its core, offers best-in-class collaboration and provides a pathway for continuous scaling on secure and compliant cloud infrastructure. Empower teams of all sizes with real-time collaboration: full version control with tracking and roll back, live preview, multiplayer features, and more. Join the world’s biggest brands delivering exceptional digital experiences with Sanity.

Sanity Details
Discussions
Sanity Community

Sanity is a fully customizable, headless CMS.

Sanity.io
2015
San Francisco, California
@sanity_io

Sanity Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Sanity community
Have you used Sanity before?

Sanity Reviews

Showing 18 Sanity reviews
Already have Sanity?
UX Engineer
What do you like best?

Sanity is a first class platform for managing content. It gives you a very flexible way to store and edit content. Building with Sanity gives you great confidence about your data. The schemas make it very easy for a developer to quickly iterate on content modelling while developing. The studio provides a nice interface for editors to work together on content creation. Building on top of the studio, like adding custom components or integrating custom workflows is fun to do and makes the tool very versatile. The studio as a headless CMS living right next to your code has been a game changer. The cli tools make exporting, replacing and importing content a breeze. The Slack community is respectful and incredibly helpful for any type of question and level of experience and a great place to learn. The GROQ-query language is easy to use and super flexible. Documentation is very solid. You can get a new, free Sanity project started in a matter of seconds and pricing will grow with your project. Overall, Sanity is great for all kinds of use cases, from small to large, and an awesome tool to have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't have any real complaints, other than with the open source side of Sanity. The Studio, the open source part living on Github, has been getting a lot of updates recently - not all of them being completely stable. I've had to downgrade a couple of times while waiting for a new bug that was introduced to be fixed. I have to add though, that even with an older version, everything keeps working fine. Also, some kind of public roadmap would be helpful. Lastly, a lot of issues have become stale and responses on Github have been slow lately. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Developing with Sanity brings a lot of speed and flexibility and makes you feel confident about your data. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Where do I start?

Overall functionality

Sanity's schema structure is completely flexible leaving you open to model your studio to handle everything from standard blog posts, to building centralized area to handle your e commerce setup. I have used sanity to build restaurant menus, podcast listings, media management and more.

Team Support

Its considered completely normal for any member from the sanity team - including the CEO to chime in and help you through your problems. The community they have built around this product is one of the best I have ever been a part of. I feel inspired to contribute to use cases and examples, and to help out my fellow Sanity users because of this general positive attitude. If I need something, I know I can count on the Sanity team to deliver or point me in the correct direction

Developer Experience

Sanity is well documented, has multiple starters and use case examples on their site. It is easy to work on your studio locally and make all the changes you want before deploying it live. Sanity CLI lets you easily deploy your studio and your graph making it easy to tie into your CD pipeline. I think my favorite part is truly how flexible it is - you are not trying to jam a use case into an existing structure, you can come up with your own setup and truly make a good fit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some of the support around custom components and documentation is a bit lacking, but the sanity team is adding new docs daily. They recently opened up their UI component library use to build Sanity with - so I am excited to jump into that and take advantage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The major problems I am solving with sanity stem around idea to execution speed and overall flexibility. Being a truly headless CMS - you can tie your data into any platform you want. You can make changes within hours - add to your schema, deploy and start adding new content.

My clients have realized a 90% reduction in CMS cost (due to moving away from expensive hosting solutions and maintenance plans) as well as over 50% improvement in content workflows. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Sanity enabled us to dial up our velocity to 11 with maximum ease and a value to match. The ship of engineers, designers, editors, and stakeholders has never sailed so fast. Sanity is 100% apart of our Developer Workflow. It's incredibly common that the most expensive part of the product shipping process is the hourly Engineer. Sanity is here to save time and money on a companies most expensive link in the chain. Beyond this, their staff is super dedicated and always listening to feedback. I wouldn't have it any other way. I feel a real partnership between us, versus a customer. You don't have to enter a marriage between your code and the CMS. You can offload small bits over time and let it snowball, thus trialing Sanity is a piece of cake. Since the entire CMS interface is code-based, you can alter it to be anything you want, tailored perfectly for your content editors. It's data storage structure is built with a FE Framework in mind (it'll work with literally anything). There's no storing of HTML, thus there's no parsing of HTML into React components for example, only JSON, which is insanely easy using their plugin's. You can write custom storage blocks to match all your components from your Design System. It has honestly taken us from launching a site in weeks time, to 15 minutes. If you're not using Sanity, you're missing out on something really special. The internet is going to be moving away from WordPress, and onto Sanity. Be apart of something big. Our tech stack is Next.js + Sanity + Typescript. Sanity is equally as important as our FE Framework selection. It does not get better than this. The right product built by the right people. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Searching the docs can be tedious, but it's improving everyday, so it's hardly a reason to shy away from using the product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly advise to not be scared of adding a CMS into your tech stack. It shouldn't be this huge thing that you can't "undo" if you decide it's not for you. For me, I decided it was best to simply use it on our Legal Pages (rich text, and lots of it) and let our legal team edit the verbiage without an engineer, and also not having to double check their work. Once that was setup, we did a trial run for a few months, and it worked perfectly, so we decided to do more. If it had gone poorly though, it wouldn't have been a big deal to unhook Sanity and migrate the data. Again, the relationship you have with a CMS should be easy and not dauntling. It's like dating; take her on a few dates and see if you like the vibes. No need to ask her to marry you in the first few months. Give it trial and error, and I guarantee you'll love the result. Best product released in recent years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Time to market! Choo choo, there's no brakes on this train! And minimizing expensive Engineering resources. We've even setup sanity to handle vanity url redirects and file uploading. Small wins like that really add up. We're also able to lazy-load all our images perfectly, going from a low-res image (generated by the Sanity edge servers) to a high quality image. It's kind of mind blowing how fast our sites are becoming, and if it wasn't for 3rd party JS, our Lighthouse scores are now int he 98+ range across the board. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Creative & Technical Director, CEO
What do you like best?

The sheer customization and flexibility. Every CMS I've used before - Prismic, Contentful, Wordpress - to name a few, requires me to structure my data in the way that their CMS wants it to be structured. This can be quite limiting. Sanity comes out of the gate as a CMS as a Node package that is fully customizable end-to-end without having to deal with restructuring my data or changing our conventions that ultimately impact our content managers and time to ship products. Sanity provides an infinite product for us to fully tailor our content management experiences and focus on empowering those editors and of course, for developers, to work in an incredibly convenient way. You can build Sanity locally and deploy multiple instances of the CMS across any servers you wish - or use their free .studio.io domains. Incredibly convenient.

Not to mention a fully fledged image pipeline so you don't have to do any crazy image mutations on your own - they provide a robust API for all of that.

And, because it's in Javascript, if you're working with any other API's (such as the one on your product), you can integrate it easily with managing and using that data as well because of Sanity's extremely flexible and customizable desk & dashboard structures.

Sanity was the answer to years of trial and error on various CMS systems, and truly comes out on top when it comes to speed of development, rich content editing experiences, developer experience, and flexibility. That's a win-win all around. I haven't had to worry about "what CMS am I going to use" for about two years now. Couldn't be more grateful to their team and my luck in finding it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not being able to fully integrate into my frontend's types when using Typescript. Sanity is very Typescript friendly, but it would be very nice to set Sanity up inside of my Next.js environment so I can use the same folders and utilities instead of having it in a separate /studio folder.

I also think their docs on customizing some form fields and showing more examples could be improved quite a bit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've spent 7 years running a creative agency that in the latter 4 years of it shifted quite heavily into web development for small (3-10) to large (30-100) sized companies. We know that everybody has their preference of CMS, but when we are able to deliver a more clear (better UX), faster to market, and fully tailored CMS for any of our frontend languages (primarily Next.js and occasionally Gatsby) - we know that we can sell them quickly on the value of Sanity.

In recent months I exited my business and will be starting as Head of Design with a medium-sized start up with intentions of high growth, and I immediately know what CMS will be our base of command to create tools for the marketing team without impacting our engineering resources as heavy as we would with writing something from scratch.

To summarize:

- Developer experience

- Faster to market

- Concise UX (It's literally bare bones, it doesn't get simpler)

- Fully tailored content editor experiences

- No restrictions - you make the call on your data structure

- Integration into external APIs

- Image pipeline

- Typescript support

- CMS as a Node package - run it locally & integrate into your CI & more

- Easily migratable from other CMS's such as Wordpress, Contentful, or Prismic

- Support for eCommerce Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

- Schema as code, I couldn't phantom how anyone thought it was a good idea to build CMS UIs without version control, but for some reason I couldn't find a service that provided this before Sanity

- Open source UI and based on React, no limits on what I can build

- Dataset as a service, no need to spend time on infrastructure

- Hybrid pay as you go model, no fear of hitting a limit and suddenly having to go from free to 200$ a month

These were just the things that caught me before I even tried the service, there were many things that impressed me afterwards, the amazing community being pretty big amongst them! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It focuses so much on the developers (which I love) that sometimes the editor's experience suffers a bit in comparison (but it's still great!). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Sanity at Mosca Digital (my agency) to build every CMS for our clients, it's just so easy to build an amazing experience out of the box, and whenever we have a more custom need, I know we can do it because of how customizable Sanity is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

Sanity is very customizable, as the Sanity Studio (the frontend CMS SPA) is open-source and all the development is easily done in React and Javascript (or Typescript). Furthermore, the query language is very strong (GROQ), as it lets you query specific fields or populate references easily and efficiently. There is even a VS Code plugin providing syntax highlighting with their Query Language.

Sanity, before anything, is very focused on developers UX, but makes it so easy for a developer to make a robust and enjoyable editing experience for Content Editors. Also, their Portable Text component (for Rich Text editing), lets editors easily edit full-text content while providing the developer easy-to-use tools to actually embed this rich content in any platform (web or native).

Also, did I mention that drafts are edited in real-time? So you can easily build a real-time website preview, that updates as soon as you type or change a value in a document. And of course this preview can easily be embed inside the CMS through some minimal customization. Surprisingly, all this customization power doesn't come with such a steep learning curve, depending on what you're trying to achieve.

Also, the documentation of Sanity is well done and very complete. If needed, you can always jump in the Studio source code to see how they approach certain features and how you can hook into them, but I think this is for very advanced use cases. Their documentation should cover 99% of the needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Pretty much everything in Sanity is near perfection, but there are some limitations that are not great.

First, planned content publishing is a manual process. There is a cool Calendar plugin letting you do just that (plan content for release and have a nice calendar where you see when every document will be publised). However, once you schedule something for release, you can't release the already published version without unscheduling the publication, undo your planned edits, do your edits for the live version, publish, then put back your planned edits and schedule again. Also, it is not possible out of the box to have multiple versions of a single document and schedule different versions at different times. However, these concerns apply to the majority of CMS solutions out there. The support for these use cases would need to be done manually by the developer.

Second, Sanity offers a basic Access Management feature, which is great! However, more granular and complete access management is available behind the Enterprise tier, which might be too expensive for smaller companies. With all the customizability of Sanity, it is a bit sad to see such feature hidden behind such a big paywall. At least they offer granular access management, which is not the case of every CMS. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With Sanity, we are mainly building CMS instances for website management (marketing and e-commerce websites). Our Sanity instances are also sometimes connected to external APIs through webhooks to trigger things in Sanity when something happens in an external data source. Somethimes, changes in Sanity also trigger things in other systems (e.g. publish a new job post on the Facebook Page of the company).

The main benefits of Sanity come from its customizability. Without much trouble, the developers can create rich editing experiences for content editors to ease their work and make sure the CMS is built according to their specific needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior developer
What do you like best?

It is super flexible, reliable and thought through. After a few years after I started using it, it's still moving in the right direction Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We sometimes get feedback that the publishing tool is a bit technical for some, but it is remarkable how quickly they get the concepts and we rarely have users complain after the initial phase of getting used to it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Extending sanity takes some getting used to, but just stick it out – it's worth it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Multi-platform digital service with content publishing for native apps and the web. The posibility for customizing everything in the studio is super powerful! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Front-end developer
What do you like best?

As a developer, I like how easy it is to set up a project and to customize it to the needs of a client. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I want to have more video tutorials, but the documentation usually covers most of my questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I will read through the solution section of Sanity.io to familiarize yourself with the main features and applications of sanity. I would also recommend joining Sanity's slack channel to get a sense of how dynamic the development community is there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sanity solved the problem of getting up to speed fast is solved for me and some of our clients.

The pain of working with "old-fashioned" CMSs was solved for me as a developer, and the need for community support is also strongly performed in Sanity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

SVP Engineering
What do you like best?

Sanity studio is empowering and helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a small amount of clunkiness in the interface. SSO integration with Okta isn't easily set up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our core engineering teams were spending too much time on our site upkeep. Sanity has enabled us to transition those duties to our content team, freeing up our engineers, and giving the content team the self-service experience they've needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-founder and CTO
What do you like best?

I like that it is basically a CMS system on steroid. It's super powerful and we haven't met any limitations yet. We are a big fan of Sanity. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not much that I don't like with Sanity. We are a huge fan. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Disjointing marketing from engineering. Make marketing able to create landinge pages and change our website without involving engineering. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AD
What do you like best?

- The flexible structure is great. Just define a schema in JASON form and get corresponding input components.

- If you need a differnt input, you can create your own react component

- Moreover the query language is super great! You can easily query different datatypes in on go and even transform the resulting data shape directly in the query it self.

- Interacting with data, patching, downloading, migration is also pretty easy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

- It's a bit hard to predict the pricing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

- Easy hosting and deployment

- CMS that has exactly what you want and not more

- 100% JavaScript Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Sanity's usage of portable text and open-source react platform allow developers to create customized solutions that fit client needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The main downside of Sanity is the initial knowledge gap, but the documentation makes it a breeze to overcome. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sanity is being used to bring our Content Management needs to the next level. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing Director
What do you like best?

Developer flexibility. You can do pretty much anything with the UI. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not easy to style the out-of-the-box UI components. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Speed. Our focus is fast loading sites. Sanity as a back-end is super flexible and allows us to use whichever front-end optimisation techniques we want. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Developer
What do you like best?

The flexibility to create data structures for use cases Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Haven’t found anything to dislike. Sanity is really great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Decoupling from Shopify’s Cm’s Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Developer
What do you like best?

- Extensively customizable

- Have lots of tutorial

- Excellent query language (GREQ) and image query/tools

- Super generous free tier Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

- Small support for typescript (schemas, options,...) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

- Customizable and beautiful text editor for non-coders

- CMS

- Images API Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

It's flexibility, APIs and documentation Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No good webhook support. Why is this not enough? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editor experience in content management. Developer experience in developing such features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

Content migration from Legacy CMSes are easy

Can create your own features/components as needed

Deployment is catered to Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

UI is not aesthetically appealing as it seems to be developed for the development team only Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are trying to custom build your contents hosting website Sanity can help you in the same, provided you have good coding skills. Front end can be build on any front end technology - React, Angular ,etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are revamping our client's existing websites using Sanity CMS by migrating content from their legacy website to Sanity.

Deployment is less headache as the build process is auto through Git. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder | Software Engineer | Educator
What do you like best?

With their templates to launch sites via Netlify, they make it really easy to get up and running with sites that get you started. Really low barrier to entry.

I also like that they are not committed to just one technology - they even have a Sapper blog starter! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Please support Brave! Also, would love to see more choices than just Netlify. I'm a little concerned with the limits on the account levels because I'm not sure what my business will need, but that is all part of the adventure! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I find it a pragmatic principle to not put all your eggs in one basket. Having Sanity be the expert in headless CMS is part of that principle. I aim to find the experts to use in each area of building a business, this is one of them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Instead of searching for solutions to launch a landing page, a blog, and future sites, this has it all in one easy place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.