Renaissance Accelerated Reader Reviews & Product Details

What do you like best?

Accelerated Reader really works. There is a lot of data and push stating that the product causes a hatred of reading. But if the product is used as directed and recommended, it helps students BUILD a love of reading and gain knowledge as they continue to grow their reading comprehension skills. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The cost of the product is my main dislike. I feel it is expensive for schools to implement on a yearly basis. As a librarian, I would gladly take this cost to buy books and supplies over Accelerated Reader, but I understand the reasoning for a district to purchase it. My other dislike is the sheer number of educators that do not use this product as instructed to use. This is not the fault of Accelerated Reader, but the schools using it for just "points" and reaching goals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our students are reading more than ever and reading a variety of texts. Some students feel like they are forced to read but most of our students are reading for pleasure and using Accelerated Reader to meet the demands of our teachers (that do not use the product correctly).

Accelerated Reader has the potential to help students grow and develop a love of reading. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Overview

What is Renaissance Accelerated Reader?

Renaissance Accelerated Reader is an independent reading practice program that helps K–12 students to become confident, lifelong readers. Supporting more than 200,000 fiction and nonfiction books and articles at a wide range of levels, Accelerated Reader gives students extensive choice in what they read—and keeps them engaged in independent reading practice as they work toward personalized goals. An article collection provides additional opportunities for daily nonfiction reading, while in-depth reporting supports regular teacher-student conversations about reading time, reading comprehension, and reading growth.

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Details
English, Spanish

Renaissance Accelerated Reader products equip teachers with unparalleled insight into independent reading practice, research-proven goal setting tools, activities that span a variety of skills and text types, and a worldwide community of support.

Renaissance Learning
1986
Wisconsin Rapids, WI
@RenLearnUS
1,063 employees on LinkedIn®
Answer a few questions to help the Renaissance Accelerated Reader community
Have you used Renaissance Accelerated Reader before?

Renaissance Accelerated Reader Reviews

Showing 18 Renaissance Accelerated Reader reviews
Already have Renaissance Accelerated Reader?
Elementary Teacher
What do you like best?

AR is the perfect program for student accountability with the mini lesson teaching format and the read-to-self rotation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I like all aspects of AR. I have not found anything I don’t like about AR. It allows for student accountability and independence. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just start. Your students will catch on to the login process and the AR protocols. Start with baby steps at first. Crawl, walk, run. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Students need copious amounts of time to practice their reading. AR is the accountability tool so I know that the kids are engaged, learning, on-task, and growing academically. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Teacher
What do you like best?

I like best that this is a quick and easy way for me to test that students are actually reading the books they are reading and when I read a book aloud to know that they were actually listening. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that tests for newer books would be available sooner. You have the ability to make a test but I buy so many new books that it is nearly impossible for me to read them for myself and then to sit down and make a test for all of them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Join the Renaissance Royals program for teachers and administrators. They put out webinars and useful tips very often. Also, reaching out via chat gets things done and most issues you may have handled quickly, sometime more quickly than a phone call. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have been able to very clearly see when my students are reading books and if they are comprehending what is going on being able to recall details from each story. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love how AR helps students and teachers keep track of reading. It really motivated the children to challenge themselves and improve their reading scores. The reports help teachers pinpoint where individual students are struggling in their independent reading in order to provide intervention in a timely manner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't know how it would work, but I wish there was an easier way to get the quiz numbers. Young children often don't type in the book title correctly, and there are many books with the same title leading to confusion. Kids are much better at correctly typing the quiz numbers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is essential to have this product in elementary schools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Reading logs are widely used, but they are way too easy to falsify and don't give a good picture of how much the child understands. AR provides very clear parameters for the students and clear view of reading comprehension for teachers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

I love that the student can take a comprehension or vocabulary test after they read a book. It is a great quick assessment that shows comprehension of the story and vocabulary within in the story. I also like that goals can be set on the amount of minutes read each day along with the number of points earned. At my school we then have point clubs that have prizes for the students when they reach different levels of points. That is a great motivator for the students to keep reading. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can not think of anything that I dislike about Accelerated Reader. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am getting my students more excited about Reading and motivating them to continue reading. They really love to set their own goals for each quarter and then seeing if they can reach their goals at the end of each quarter. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

3rd Grade Teacher
What do you like best?

I like that AR has a wide range of books that are leveled according to a reader's ability to read independently. Renaissance even allows books to be added to their already extensive list. Or points can be awarded to students who read text not on the list based on their teacher's discretion. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Accountability is a positive but some young students do not have the maturity to understand why they should not test until ready. Teaching the "why" of reading books more than once can be a bit of a battle. I don't like that books failed in a previous grade level can't be retested in the next grade. I don't like that I can't remove a bad test score. I want to teach my students to develop better skills. I do not want a system that discourages them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am solving reading problems by meeting with my students about what they are reading. We set goals together. Students are quizzing each other, which develops self-questioning skills they need when reading their own books. I am seeing high growth scores that translate into academic success. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love that Accelerated Reader is flexible and easy for teachers to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The downside of Accelerated Reader is that the reading quiz has to be in the system to take the test. However, they have a very large collection. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With Renaissance Accelerated Reader, I am able to encourage and motivate students to read daily. I am also able to monitor their reading/AR quizzes quickly and easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love the reading goals and 5 question tests for 1st graders. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike when the Spanish version of an AR test is listed is my first graders click on it instead of the English test. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm solving an issue of motivating students to read. They love watching their flower grow! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love Accelerated Reader because it gives my students the practice reading that they desperately need. They love seeing the flower fill up as they approach their goal and are excited about reading. I love that students aren't competing against each other, but are competing with themselves to show growth. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There really aren't any downsides that I have found. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have seen great growth in reading ability and in my students' confidence. Even my reluctant readers can find books that they are interested in, and AR helps them feel successful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Academic Dean
What do you like best?

Students can select books based on their interests and their reading level. Students can also challenge themselves by reading above their levels and setting goals for themselves. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not dislike anything with regard to Accelerated Reader at this time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This is another tool that teachers can use to help motivate students to read. Student comprehension levels increase when they are given appropriate challenging texts to read that they enjoy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

The students are motivated to read more at home. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

That the lower readers still struggle to earn points and fall behind my advanced readers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

none Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I like that more parent's are involved in their child's reading. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

teacher
What do you like best?

AR allows me to track my students' reading and provides opportunities for parents to do the same. Goals are easy to set and easy to attain for students of all reading levels. Most any book has a test. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really don't have anything that I dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AR solves the problem of accountability. The benefits are numerous, but most beneficial is the motivation I can help foster in my classroom. Students are eager to meet their personal and team goals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

What I like best is that students can track their growth and be held accountable Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The newest update is not very user friendly Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The latest update is not as easy to navigate but you get a hang of it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Students levels and what is best for them. I like that students can use the program at home and continue growing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

I like how students receive personalized goals and work on their own continuum for success. This program works whether you are above or below average or on grade level. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish some records could be accessed from previous years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use the videos and webinars to understand the full potential of the program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are working to create lifelong readers in both fiction and nonfiction. We have noticed students reading materials they may not have been interested in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

Students can be motivated to read more! I was librarian before we started AR and it has made a BIG difference in reading! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike monitoring cheating, but this is not a problem Renaissance Learning can fix. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The program increases reading by motivating students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It makes it rewarding, because students will see me outside of the library and tell me their average, say they've met their goal, tell how many words they have, etc! They are excited about reading. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

Accelerated reader or AR is an awesome reading incentive program. I love all aspects of the program. I love that it increases fluency. Comprehension. I love that there are quizzes for all levels. All genres. Both fiction and non fiction. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that my current school system will not purchase it for my young students. I currently teach at a PreK and kindergarten school. I believe it’s the perfect time to introduce the program. The district evidently disagrees Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Utilize this as an enrichment, remediation or early finishers activity. I personally don’t recommend using it as a grade. My personal experience was it worked better as an incentive program. Not required Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Children are motivated to read. The program increases fluency and comprehension. For my child and my niece, the program kept them out of trouble. I believe it reduces discipline problems by keeping the students actively engaged Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to use program that let's you see the student's reading progress, level and development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

None at this time. So far so good. Renaissance updates its program constantly to make it the best. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just give it a try. You will live it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Student's achievement gaps. Reading comprehension, fluency and level. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

The most helpful thing about Accelerated Reader is that it encourages students to read. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about Accelerated Reader. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Benefits are motivated students and valuable information which is easily accessible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.