PMI Reviews & Product Details

PMI Overview

What is PMI?

We advance careers, improve organizational success and further mature the profession of project management through our globally recognized standards, certifications, resources, tools, academic research, publications, professional development courses and networking opportunities.

PMI Details
Discussions
PMI Community

Project Management Institute, Inc.
1969

Location
Already have PMI?
CEO, Founder, Product Manager
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

We've been requesting a quote for funding for over two weeks. First we were told we'd receive it within 2-3 days. Never arrived. Then we were told it's been prioritized and we'd get it within 24-hours. Then they said we had to complete an application first....only to complete an application you have to have sat a class. Since our request for a quote is to pay for the class, we obviously haven't sat a class yet. SO, since they've created a system that has a giant barrier, we may miss out on Covid relief funding that would have upskilled or organization during a lockdown. The worst is just the sheer inability to get any support or action from anyone that knows what they are doing and can make a decision. This is what happens, of course, when you completely outsource your customer support and you don't think through all user scenarios on your website. Like...what company doesn't allow someone to pay their bill prior to even qualifying for the exam. Don't you want the money in hand??? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Haven't found it yet. Still looking and hoping for the best. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Customer service. Failed to fulfill what needed to be done and still fail to be able to make things happen or provide a logical response. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We've wanting to upskill our workforce. We haven't realized any benefits yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

National Stock and Compliance BI Coordinator
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I have been trying to get the learning materials to take the CAPM exam. I applied for a quote in September and still haven't received access to the correct training materials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Nothing so far. Haven't received the correct learning materials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Everything so far. Poor customer service, no one takes responsibility for getting my problem sorted. I am passed from person to person and always told it will be sorted within 2-3 working days. Been chasing for months. All I want is for them to give me the correct learning materials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Major Account Executive
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I have been studying for the CAPM for almost two months now as I prepare to take their exam. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

In theory, the certification should provide me an edge in employment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There seems to be a whole industry built up around the certification process. I have found that the "approved" instruction entities aren't well policed. Outdated information, incorrect test questions. In addition, I have found the PMI resources to be disappointing. Practice test questions that are poorly written (in theory old test questions - heaven help us), many times very subjective, and sometimes their own answers are wrong (it's easy to check them against their own publication). It is very frustrating to see that many times they are more concerned with trying to be tricky instead of measuring your knowledge. Also a book that seems to be incomplete (PMBOK 6) and as such is not sufficient to prepare someone for the test. This is in particular unfortunate as they claim the test comes out of the PMBOK - however that appears to not be entirely accurate. They have spent great effort to protect the information in the PMBOK by making the book such that it can't be copied. I get it - but I wish they would have put as much effort into preparing the PMOK as protecting it. I also find that they make up things - acronyms, concepts - to try and make project management seem more complex than it is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

PMI is a necessary evil if you wish to obtain a certification in project management. You'll have to just live with it if you want to get the certification. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have learned about the formal project management world - at least according to PMI - along with what are put forth as best practices. Some of it has bee very helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ME
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I go to PMI for resources when initiating or encountering challenges with complex projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that the resources include case studies, templates, articles and people. Depending upon the situation, l can find resources to provide insight or support a selected approach of tactic. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, the expanse of the resources available can be overwhelming. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am supporting the development of new and future project managers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GL
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I was looking for an inventory control process template, for implementation I was working on. I was not able to find exactly what I was looking for, however, I was able to take pieces of a couple of differrent templates and get what I needed. I have to be honest it is not the most user-friendly site when trying to search for tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

one please to search versus have to go to ten different sites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

the search mechanism seems to be outdated compared to others I have used more recently. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

updating the technology on the website. Also, to understand that processes have to be followed, however not all processes taught have real-world applications. I have worked with some young PM who just got their PMP and we went round and round because they could not see the grey in the world only black and white because that is what they were taught and studies for their PMP Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Inventory control for a manufacturer's sample room. I was able to tailor down the samples i found via the templates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sr Software Systems Manager
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

PMI has the most respected certification programs worldwide for both project management and agile methodologies. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Worldwide recognition for quality and certifications. Their continuing education portal is easy to use and you can log a variety of training programs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about the organization. They have fulfilled a need and done it with ethics. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

If you wanted worldwide acknowledgement of your skill set, PMI is the place to go for your certification. Their program is easy to understand, and you don't need to deal with yearly certification requirements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have my job because of my certification and my continued growth is because they have collaborated and made project management a respected discipline. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TA
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

We hired them to look through best practices for hiring the best consultants and contractors for the business. Eliminating the companies that did not qualify to becoming our suppliers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

They always showed up in groups. We had constant meetings and a lot of emails being sent out for little progress. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Too many emails being sent out to all the leaderships about little progress being achieved. We would have liked better practices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Ask questions so you may understand everything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were trying to put together best practices for hiring consultants / contractors and set the benchmark for the industry. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EP
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

None Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I did enjoy the PMI community in San Diego until the people become self absorbed and I realized I was the benefit and there was no benefit to me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I disliked the way the leaders of the PMI regions were unappreciative when I volunteered over 100 plus hours to step in the last minute to become the lead project manager to organize the PMI Region 7 leadership meeting. I was very disappointed Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

It is purely a money making opportunity for PMI to have their members support PMI partners to maintain their PMP credentials. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TP
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Attaining my PMP has helped my career and broadened my knowledge base. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I enjoy being associated with a well-known, well-regarded organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No noticeable downsides to speak of at the moment. PMI is a highly recognized institute. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project-based issues and problems that evolve in my professional endeavors. The benefits realized are greater knowledge and skills. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TH
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Cross functional tool rollout Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The ease of use, collaboration is made easy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No major dislikes there can be improvements with some domain specific examples Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

great tools and templates, saves a lot of time and effort Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Faster and quicker collaboration in solving complex projects Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

MA
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pega System warranty reduction program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ability to provide the project control framework for leadership of the $10mm program Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometime the framework is too heavy and need to be tailored. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

provide a well scoped SOW Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IT development and Deployment Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TA
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Used PMI principles on projects with GM Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Organizing the principles and ethics of handling projects Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Clanky fitting the PMI idea program into actual company Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Study hard Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Organization of projects Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Awesome place for learning and sharing ideas Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

User friendly, easily accessible and informative Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If we get more free webinars for non-members it would be great help Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

TH
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

As a new project manager, I often find myself in new situations with little to no prior experiences to help me navigate complex problems. PMI is often my first resource for determining next steps. I can find other PMs to discuss issues and potential solutions, I can find books and other resources to help me develop and plan for future projects, and most importantly, I can access webinars to help keep my certification current. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to navigate webpage that isn't afraid to send you to another domain for the best available information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

some of the sites offered require membership and unless your company pays for this type of professional subscription, it can be quite cost-prohibitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GD
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Good product price need some reduction . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Time and cost control management specialist Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Price need some evaluation to get more users Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.