4.7

Dash creates leading open source tools for composing, editing, and sharing interactive data visualization via the Web. Our collaboration servers (available in cloud or on-premises) allow data scientists to showcase their work, make graphs without coding, and collaborate with business analysts, designers, executives, and clients. Dash leads digital transformation at some of the world's largest companies using Python, R, and React. By applying cutting-edge Web technology to scientific computing and BI, we're preparing industries for their next 20 years of data-driven growth. Along the way, Dash has democratized access to world-class, scientific software through open-source - enabling a new generation of scientists, engineers, and companies to collaboratively tackle new challenges. Our libraries have been downloaded more than 5 million times in every country in the world. Product Highlight: Dash - Build beautiful web-based interfaces in Python Dash is a Python framework for building analytical web applications. No JavaScript required.

Work for Dash?

Learning about Dash?

Dash Reviews

Ask Dash a Question
Showing 12 Dash reviews
Dash review by Daniel B.
Daniel B.

"Plotly's Dash libraries for Python are a game-changer for data-science"

What do you like best?

Of late, I’ve become a major fan of Plotly’s “Dash” Python library for data visualization projects. Using Dash, it is possible to create beautiful graphs and figures, then easily distribute them as lightweight web apps, without ever needing to write a single line of HTML or Javascript. I don’t think it’s hyperbolic to say that within the next 18 months, the Dash library will be one of the most important Python data-visualization libraries available — and it’s all open-source (MIT Licensed).

What do you dislike?

A few things that are disappointing/areas for improvement:

* When working with large datasets (multi-million rows), plots can bog down significantly. Plotly can't be faulted too much for this though, as this is going to be a problem endemic to any visualization tool.

* Readability of the code can start to become challenging for really large, multi-page apps

I've used the Dash libraries now for several personal and professional projects. In both cases, Dash has allowed myself (or our team) to rapidly deploy and test web apps without all the overhead and silo-ing that often occurs on data science projects.This has allowed us to get feedback on our solutions much faster, helping to close the loop in agile development practices.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Dash
Dash review by User

"Awesome customization for any need, data science or otherwise."

What do you like best?

It's the most customizable solution for business insights - unlike Tableau and Power BI. I love that I can do ANYTHING to visualize data.

What do you dislike?

Despite its customizability, not everything, especially basic stuff, is as customizable as I would like. For example, the table experiments is very difficult to customize in terms of different data embeddings (drop down menus) and customize text wrapping/different screen sizes.

It could also be interesting to have some GUI builder in addition to the python backend - a la PsychoPy. This would open up to more users - not just those who have deep python skills. I think that would open your tool much broader and differentiate from Tableau.

We are currently solving several issues with Dash, mostly revolving around three areas. First, we are using it for project insights with cross-functional teams. They are able to look at what projects we are currently working on. Secondly, we use it to resource balance - we are able to put in data about the work we are doing and manipulate it in real time. The last method is to do business insights using real-time data from either NLP work or from product usage.

What Business Intelligence Platforms solution do you use?

Dash review by Alec R.
Alec R.

"Simplifies Plotting, with good APIs and documentation"

What do you like best?

There's some pretty solid documentation available, and it's available in multiple languages. Most concepts are already pretty fleshed out, making it a matter of figuring out the proper syntax rather than how to build something custom. Above all, too, everything is open source. If you want to change something, it's possible to dig into the source to figure out exactly how plotly works and how to customize it.

Plotly also _does_ have a valid business model to support their OSS work, so it's probably not going away any time soon.

What do you dislike?

It _is_ javascript based, so it can't (as far as I'm aware) replace many use-cases of matplotlib where it's being used for backend rendering. Also, although there's a lot of support for customized graphs, if you're trying to do something that's _not_ supported, it can be quire frustrating.

Honestly, I don't have too many complaints about plotly, it's a pretty solid framework I'd be happy to use for any new small or large project.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try making a prototype and reading their documentation. It's pretty good.

Real-time, interactive plotting. Most things are already set up (or are easy to enable with an option flag) out of the box. Things you wouldn't think much about until your framework doesn't support it like show data points or custom labels on hover, legend positioning, labels, and coloring are all supported with ease.

Dash review by Jay B.
Jay B.

"Bye JavaScript "

What do you like best?

Do you absolutely hate working with JavaScript? The only answer is yes. With Dash, you can quickly create data-driven web apps and user interfaces solely with Python. It is also extremely portable!

What do you dislike?

In my limited experience, I found documentation for Dash to be a bit confusing. However, the website has been updated quite a bit since I used it some time ago.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You will find a ton of support for implementing Dash and using its features online. It is incredibly easy to get started with this framework. Good luck!

Dash offers a framework that rivals Jupyter Notebook and Matlab in quality and scale. Dash is also far more attractive visually than most of what is out there.

Dash review by Administrator

"Digital Currency without the hassle "

What do you like best?

its easy to set up and obtain. It works quickly and without the hassle that alot of cryptocurrency websites and brokers give you when signing up. They ask basic questions but you dont feel like youre at your girlfriends house for the first time meeting her parents lol . They have great customer service as well.

What do you dislike?

Nothing its a great company and I feel as though with cryptocurrency on the rise that it will quickly become a recognized name in the cryptocurrency . I love that its free to set up and its easy to explain so our customers can also use it . Its a easy to downoad program and it works great with our employees and customers.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely look into it and make sure that it is something that you want though there is really no risk to creating a account and its free aside from buying and sending currency but its still always a good idea to look into a company and make sure it has what you are looking for.

Dash has helped make some purchases quicker and easier. There isn't any logistics or planning we just say do you have dash and if they say yes we complete the transaction and if not we tell them more about dash and how to obtain it but we do offer other methods for payments.

Dash review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer

"Beautiful Visuals but still in development"

What do you like best?

I really like the number of visuals I can create in plotly and that they are interactive. Dash makes building data-driven applications very simple, it abstracts away a lot of the HTML and javacript that is required to create a clean looking application.

What do you dislike?

The documentation is sparse and unorganized. A lot of features are still in development which is frustrating, the fact that I cannot print out a dashboard of several visuals, which seems like a basic requirement for a modern BI tool is frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are planning to build multiple, distinct data products that do not have large security requirements, than I would recommend Dash.

We are building interactive applications for internal employees to access data in our data warehouse and creating new data products for our members. We have been able to create new data products very quickly with dash, not at the speed that we would create them in a competing tool such as Tableau or Qlikview though. The greatest benefit from using Dash is the flexibility to build a standalone application than can leverage other components from Python.

Dash review by Internal Consultant in Biotechnology
Internal Consultant in Biotechnology

"A Powerful and Aesthetic Alternative to Greater Known Data Visualization Libraries"

What do you like best?

I like how intuitive the interfaces you build can be, how dynamic they can be as you're allowed to highlight and view parts of larger graphs and hover to view specific values. It looks very clean and I also appreciate that it can be deployed within a web application. As a web developer developing applications for clients that would like to see their data in action, it is greatly helpful to them to be able to work with and manipulate their data with minimal training and understanding of the inner workings of the technology.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more sources and online tutorials for learning how to create specific graphs in different ways. I understand this technology is still being worked on and is relatively new but it would greatly help to have some more sources and tutorial points on the product and it's many uses. If more people were able to see just how functional this library is, they may be inclined to even switch from traditional data visualization libraries, or maybe even switch languages as I did within my company!

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take it slow through the tutorials and online help that is available and try to really understand what is going on rather than just copying the code.

A company I recently worked for wanted me to use R with ShinyR to interact with and display data from a database they built because they were all accustomed to the language already. On the contrary, I had been using python for years and offered to teach them how the same graphs could be built in a much easier way with greater functionality using plotly. I found after reviewing the library further that it is much more dynamic than I originally thought and enjoyed the ability to enhance specific parts on the graph, hover over points to display values, and much more.

Dash review by jatone  S.
jatone S.

"Just a Dash"

What do you like best?

with dash, it was a program that helped solve so much when working with students. This program made scheduling and graphing for big assignments pertaining to major conferences alot simple. Its innovative

style brought programming to a whole new level

What do you dislike?

i actually loved mostly everything about dash, if i jad to say what consumers beware is the processing speed isnt that top notch

scheduling, major graphing systems for big presentations, also organizational projects that students in particular needed help with

Dash review by Administrator

"Easy"

What do you like best?

It is very user friendly and easy to use. My son could even do it with east and he is only 5. I could show my older employees who stated they aren't computer savvy and they were able to pick it up.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. So far so good. It ran slow a few times but other than that nothing. I still am shocked at how easy it is to use this program. Just if you could run fast at all times would make it better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use. People of all ages can use this program with ease. Very very very easy to use. I can't express how east it was.

Retail and the trends of shoppers

Dash review by Administrator in Automotive
Administrator in Automotive

"It is awesome"

What do you like best?

Dash Apps require very little boilerplate to get started - a simple "hello world" Dash app is under 50 lines of code.

Dash Apps are generated entirely from Python, even the HTML and JS

Dash Apps bind interactive components (dropdowns, graphs, sliders, text inputs) with your own Python code through reactive Dash "callbacks".

Dash Apps are "reactive" which means that it's easy to reason about complicated UIs with multiple inputs, multiple outputs, and inputs that depend on other inputs.

What do you dislike?

I haven't heard about any complaints from our power users.

Folks are happy to use Dash as it makes their lives easy

Dash review by User in Financial Services

"Innovation, R&D, Data Science in Finance"

What do you like best?

The ability to code in Python

The ability to maintain the look and feel exactly how the original document was.

The out of the box reactive framework with toolbar with no necessary coding

What do you dislike?

That it is tightly coupled to Python would prefer a method to do the same in R

Not being able to cross link across the same data set when visualizing the same data set in multiple charts. For example selecting some points on one chart should update the other charts.

Converting static documents to interactive documents such as research reports.

Rapid prototyping

Dash review by User in Management Consulting
User in Management Consulting

"One for All"

What do you like best?

As I have used other tools too, as compared to them, I would say plotly provides evrything best.

What do you dislike?

Plotly documentation is quite unclear on what exactly is Open Source and whether the data gets uploaded to them or if the plotting can be done offline.

I have used it to create graphs for the dashboard used in my project.

Learn more about Dash

Dash Videos

Learning about Dash?

* We monitor all Dash reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.
4.7