Pilot Reviews & Product Details

Co-Founder & CEO
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Bookkeeping — I used to do it myself (kind of) but it felt like such a time sink to do something so repetitive when I have so many other things on my mind. We are also currently onboarding them for tax. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Customer service. I used to have an accountant who made me feel like I was wasting his time. From Ryan who explained and sold the services to us to Cerisse who is a gem — she is incredibly patient both when I ask many questions or ask for many changes, and when I disappear for a little while. She’s incredibly professional and has made very useful recommendations. Plus she is willing to quickly get on the phone so things are more clear and faster. And of course they deliver their services very well too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish they also did projections / budget so that we could compare them. The way we track budget is very different than their chartered accounts and difficult to bump the two against one another one for one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My books are actually clean and I have saved tremendous time and stress Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Pilot Overview

What is Pilot?

Pilot’s leading team of US-based experts, supported by powerful software, delivers world-class bookkeeping, tax, and CFO services trusted by growing businesses like yours. Let Pilot focus on your financials, so you can focus on your business. Unmatched Accuracy: The numbers matter. A business needs an accurate financial picture to make smart decisions — and mistakes can be costly. Your Pilot bookkeeper generates the most accurate financial reports possible, so you have every detail you need to make those smart decisions. Saves You Time: Books are important, but they aren’t why you started your business. Learning the subtle art of bookkeeping means taking your focus off the parts of your business that are your passion. When Pilot handles your bookkeeping, you have more time to do the things that make your business succeed.

Pilot Details
Discussions
Pilot Community

Pilot takes care of your bookkeeping from start to finish so you can focus 100% on making your business succeed.

Business finances can be confusing and stressful. You’re probably going to have questions. That’s why support is included with every plan. The same dedicated account manager who handles your books each month will be on hand to answer your questions and guide you through any concerns you have.

Pilot does both accrual and cash basis bookkeeping. And all your books are done in Quickbooks Online — so you're never locked in. Your data is yours and it is in the industry-standard format.

Pilot
2016
San Francisco, CA

Answer a few questions to help the Pilot community
Have you used Pilot before?

Pilot Reviews

Showing 33 Pilot reviews
Location
Already have Pilot?
Founder
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

We subscribed to Pilot in the Fall of 2019 to manage our bookkeeping. We are a bootstrapped startup and our bookkeeping is fairly straightforward. We needed help with balancing the books every month. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The integration with other software that we regularly use (Zenefits, Quickbooks, Veem, Invoiced.com). The books are always on time and they flag expenses or entries that are not clear. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We used their service for 8 months. It works well for startups and SMBs with straightforward business models. The only issues to highlight is too much back and forth via email (perhaps Slack or another chat service could help?). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

It's a good service for startups and SMBs. It takes only a few days to sync all the accounts and statements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have been using them for bookkeeping. The service that they provide is quite straightforward (they track revenue and expenses and balance the books). It is a no frills service but it's executed with accuracy and punctuality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OH
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Tax, R&D tax credit, accounting, and bookkeeping Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Not sure there are any. They have an automated system but it doesn’t appear to be that efficient. A ton of back and forth. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Horrible execution on tax, r&d tax credits. They changed pricing on me twice. They prepared taxes under the wrong company designation (S Corp instead of LLC). They bait and switched me into a higher cost tax service a day before they handed my taxes to me. They neglected to file an extension. Just a night mare. Everything is over email. They rarely meet on even zoom. Just a flashy startup that thinks they are solving all these problems but just another accounting shop, but with poor processes and growing pains. Take your money elsewhere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Stay away Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GR
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

We were talking to their sales team to see what plan to go for and they kept on changing our prices.

They mentioned they would give us a discount and in the end we figured out it was a discount they offered anyone with our bank (so completely intransparent).

They knew from the beginning that our company had a subsidiary and they decided to last minute to add a $100/mon subsidiary charge even though this was never mentioned before. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

To be honest I initially thought they were relatively professional. In the end they clearly weren't. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Intransparent pricing.

We have written email quotes that do not match what they then told us over the phone.

Kept on changing their pricing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None, just spent tons of time on the phone with them and completely unsatisfied with their sales team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Waseem Daher of Pilot

Hey, Pilot's CEO (Waseem) here.

First off, thank you for providing this feedback, and I'm really sorry (and disappointed) to hear that you didn't have a good experience with our sales team.

I totally get why your experience was a turn-off, and it would be for me too. I wanted to shed a little light on what's happening here. (This is 100% not an excuse—we fell short here, but I wanted to provide a little color as to why.)

One of the things we've spent a fair bit of time working on at PIlot is putting together flat-rate publicly-available website pricing, which we've done with Pilot Core.

The problem is, we historically haven't done a good job explaining which shapes of business fit into Pilot Core, and which shapes don't (and where we need to charge extra)—even to our own team.

In this specific case, even though the rep was aware of the subsidiary, they weren't aware (because of a failure in our own training) that we needed to charge extra for the subsidiary, and they only learned of that after talking with someone else on our team later in the process, which is why this ended up going down the way it did.

We're significantly retooling our training and process to manage this better, so that when we give you a number, it's actually correct and doesn't need revision.

Again, not at all an excuse: you had a bad experience with us, and I own that. I'm sorry we fell short here, and we're working hard to make this part of the process better. Thanks again for the feedback.

Co-Founder, CEO @ Transcend
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot does all of Transcend's bookkeeping. It pulls transaction data from our bank account and Stripe, categorizes them, and files them in Quickbooks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

We don't even have to think about bookkeeping. As a founder, I (A) didn't know what to do and (B) didn't have bandwidth to even think about it. We used Pilot and it simply took all of those responsibilities off my plate. On occasion I'll get a straight to the point email from our account manager that asks me to clarify some transactions. Onboarding took 10 minutes, so my total interaction with Pilot is about 3 minutes per month responding to these emails... which is pretty ideal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I so rarely think about our books because I rarely interact with them. This isn't really Pilot's fault - I could just open Quickbooks - and they send me monthly spreadsheet reports. But there's definitely an "out of sight, out of mind" experience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

If you want full service bookkeeping, Pilot handles it for you. The team is incredibly professional and efficient. All of my questions are answered promptly, and my on-boarding experience was great. If you don't have a tax accountant, bookkeeping software, payroll software, or other parts of your stack set up, that's actually even better because they can recommend a stack that works nicely with Pilot, as they did for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Digital Growth Marketing Consultant
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot has been great at stepping in and taking over and organizing my companies books in Quickbooks. A real person organizes and updates me every month. If they have any questions we are able to resolve them in a simple email. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I really love how Pilot uses QuickBooks because that is what I was already using. Unlike other companies (like Bench) that require you to use their custom software so you can never leave.

I like how they focus on getting the service right so I want to stay instead of getting me on their software where it would be very painful to leave.

Also the team is very responsive through email. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No real big complaints they are super responsive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

For small teams who do not want to hire people to manage their books Pilot is a great option. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President + CEO
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot automates my bookkeping Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Pilot is the right amount of human plus the right amount of computer. So effortless. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not super-prepared for inventory tracking or other physical product stuff. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It lets me focus on the stuff that really matters for my business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot handles all of my company's bookkeeping seamlessly so that we can focus on what actually matters to our business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Love that they're always working on everything in the background & have status updates ready for us whenever needed. The structure of having an account manager specifically for our books is very helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing - Pricing structure is great, service is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

If you want a simple way to not have to worry about your books, Pilot is probably the best service for you - especially if you're a fast moving startup as most of their customers are. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot does the bookkeeping for our small 7 person startup. They are quick to respond, reliable, trustworthy, and very organized. Getting set up with them was seamless. Each month when they submit our books (on the same day each month!), they ask for clarification on expenses they aren't sure of, and they quickly reconcile them once they have the information they need. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The peace of mind, and ease of working with them. I met their CEO at a conference for office-tending folk, and he had a deck ready to give "Finance 101" talks to those of us that wanted the basics. He's competent and kind, and has also hired great folks to work with him. They introduced us to a tax preparer, and send us "heads up" notices via email to make sure we're on track with compliance for things that I wouldn't otherwise even be aware of.

Pilot also integrates with Gusto, which is convenient. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything negative to say. We love Pilot! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Don't poke around and ask everyone their opinion on who you should have do your books for your startup, just go with Pilot-- you'll be glad you did! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Working on my next company
Logistics and Supply Chain
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot closes our books every month. We get a summary of credits and debits and if they have any questions on categories, they ask us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Pilot is easy to use - I don't have to request our monthly summary, it just shows up in my inbox. It's always accurate. I've also asked for a few custom things that they've quickly adhered to. I fee like they really get the customer and live to serve me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, nothing. It's simple and easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

This is a no brainer. You need to know what's going on with your businesses finances. Spend zero time balancing credits and debits and spend all of your time making decisions based off the info. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot manages your books and provides valuable counsel for bookkeeping and accounting, which are otherwise mysterious and difficult to find as a startup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The team iterates quickly, overdelivers, and is incredibly responsive when you have questions. The product "just works" and requires almost no overhead (asides from occasional clarification questions) to maintain. It's an easy and obvious way to stay on top of finances, even as an early startup. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly I haven't run across any issues worth pointing out. Every once in a while something is misclassified, but they're on par or better than accountants I've worked with before. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

If you're a startup and have any confusion about your books, you should give them a try. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chess Coach
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

I run a small non-profit. For the last 3 years we've had board members take care of our books on a rotating basis. It was a huge burden that no one liked to do.

Then we met Pilot. Not only did they do our books, they keep an eye out to make sure issues are caught and the recommend other services we use to keep our financial house in order. They are always available to answer questions and the service is amazing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The wide range of financial topics that they'll lend advice on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't really think of anything. My job would be so much more tedious and painful if it were not for Pilot. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

If you're a small business, this is a perfect service. Let someone else handle the books and spend your time building your company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Monthly accounting including transaction classification, monitoring for abnormal activity, and burn rate projections Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Setup was painless. They tailor made a chart of accounts to suit our business. Each month they send us a note with a report letting us know they've closed the prior month and include summary information that is bespoke to our business. Best of all: the price is far less than hiring our own accounting firm. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

If we want to have classification happen more frequently or sooner in the month, we'd have to pay more. That's the only complaint we've got. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot has been doing our bookkeeping for about a year. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

- Problems are rare and get addressed very quickly

- Communication is prompt, to the point

- Very smart team

- Very dependable - I don't have to double check everything. They are automating everything that can be automated and human errors are reduced to a minimum Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike to be honest. They rock Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

If you are a startup looking for a straightforward, dependable bookkeeper who speaks your language and gets what you need - just do this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO & Co-founder
Hospital & Health Care
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot manages your books no matter what stage you are at, but most importantly they understand the operational profile of early stage startups, including equity disbursements and tricky issues like SaaS revenue recognition. This is stuff you probably aren't thinking about and rightfully so, but having Pilot take care of things for you so you don't have to clean your books later will more than pay off. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I don't have to worry at all about our books, they can go from Pilot straight to our investors without needing any modification from me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Pilot hasn't given me a reason to dislike anything. I had a question once on their pricing strategy, and they actually took the time to explain their thinking, which turned out to take some things I hadn't thought of into account. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Support via email is always very responsive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder, CEO
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot takes care of all of our bookkeeping — so I don't have to worry about it. At my last startup, I tried to do it all. I've learned that lesson! That's why I'm happy to have Pilot taking care of our bookkeeping needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like that the service is very consistent — not just the tech, but the humans who answer my questions when they come up. They are keeping customer quality up even as they scale. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish they had something to help with AP/AR as well... though I understand why they don't, and they gave me some good pointers on how I could solve those needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-founder and CEO
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

We are using Pilot for our bookkeeping and consolidating all our expenses (contractors, consultants, vendors, reimbursements, etc.) in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like the customer support that's there when we need it and hands-off when everything works smoothly on its own. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Pilot wasn't integrated with all of our vendors on Day 1, but they are adding more integrations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Pilot is great for startups and integrates with most of the other modern tech solutions out there (payroll, billing, etc.) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Ongoing accounting and bookkeeping for a growing nonprofit research organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Extremely responsive, individualized support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really can't come up with a single thing…There are plenty of features I'd like, but nothing to dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Just sit down with them and talk through what you're looking to do; they're incredibly responsive and competent and that interaction'll do more to convince you than anything else… Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

The pilot team took on my company, and cleaned up over a years worth of messy finances.

There was not a single transaction that didn’t get properly reconciled. Truly amazing.

They will custom tailor their services to your needs too. Our books are now extremely detailed, but also structured in a custom tailored way to my company.

Thanks to Waseem and his entire time. Can’t recommend them enough. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

They keep it personal. That’s so important to me. No robots, just humans. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I can think of yet. All needs have been met, and any bottlenecks in the process were never met with “sorry, we can’t do that”, but rather only a team effort to figure out a remedy.

Love it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder & CEO
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot takes care of our back office accounting and bookkeeping needs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I don't have to worry about anything, and it's always done timely and accurately. Also, customer service is excellent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Don't really have much that we dislike. But wish Pilot will take care of other back office / accounting related processes like tax filing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO, Co-Founder
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot owns 100% of the bookkeeping for my ecommerce business. They helped me set it up correctly, make the right integrations, and define our bookkeeping practices. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Exceptional customer service, clarity, explaining things. Patience with me, a non-accounting founder. Transparent pricing, great coordination with other accounting and tax-related partners/service providers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Could be a bit more proactive explaining the WHY behind some decisions. Obviously not a replacement for proper tax planning counsel. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder/CEO
Internet
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Bookkeeping, categorizing expenses, and having a record of all our financial statements Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

1 .Simplicity

2. Low cost

3. The team is very attentive to categorization and rules through software

4. Low-touch Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing! It's great :). Pilot is awesome, no complaints. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

100% recommended! For early stage startups with simple finances, it's a no-brainer! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder and CEO
Internet
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

They take care of all our accounting, and produce detailed personalized company reports that give us an instant overview of what's going on with the financial health of the company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Pilot assigns a person to manage your account. This level of personalized support is invaluable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything to dislike about them. They work hard to make their users happy and it shows. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Fire your bookkeeper and use Pilot. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OC
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

Pilot saves us an incredible amount of time in managing out books. All of our financial data is synchronized seamlessly, without any manual effort on our part beyond answering the occasional categorization question. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love how much time they save. As an entrepreneur, my least favorite part of my work is doing the paperwork to keep our books accurate and our company compliant, and Pilot helps a huge amount in minimizing that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I don't have any major complaints about the service. It'd be nice if it cost less, because it's always nice to pay less, but I feel good about the value we're getting for what we're paying. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder & CEO
Education Management
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

They handle our monthly bookkeeping and make my life easier! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Pilot is a super light lift for busy teams and I trust them to do a great job Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Really nothing, they've done a great job Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Definitely check them out - they have been wonderful! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-founder / CEO
Financial Services
Describe the project or task the provider helped with:

The team at pilot has helped our company make sense of complex, international books with a level of accuracy and professionalism that competitors can only dream of. This includes timely and error-free monthly reports, perfect categorization of expenses, and related advice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Blazing fast and clear responses to inquiries. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

None whatsoever - from onboarding to day to day interactions, it's a pleasure working with Pilot. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the provider:

Look no further - choose Pilot. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.