Pencil2D

Pencil2D is an animation/drawing software that allows you to create traditional hand-drawn animation using both bitmap and vector graphics.

Work for Pencil2D?

Learning about Pencil2D?

Pencil2D Reviews

Pencil2D review by Sara C.
Sara C.

"I Can't Wait for Updates!"

What do you like best?

Obviously one of the things I like most about this program is that it is free. I also enjoy how easy it is to understand this right off the bat. I was able to start animating immediately! Another extreme plus is the ability to use layers. Without this feature I would definitely not be able to happily use this product.

What do you dislike?

I definitely wish there were more updates to this program because I enjoy using it so much. For example it needs much more importing and exporting options. As a dedicated user, I would pay extra to have a much more detailed program to use, especially on a mac where 2D animation software is a bit harder to find.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I highly recommend this to artists of all ages and interests. Not only is it free, but it is so simple to use as well. Another draw to it is that if you don't have your animation desk and punched paper handy, Pencil 2D will allow you to easily animate your ideas. So many times I have turned to it to get an idea out and had fun doing it!

Coloring keyframes is not as easy as the screenshots make it look. I tend to do pencil tests with this program then export the frames to render in another one i.e. Photoshop. Another thing is more brushes! What I would give to have a more photoshop-like palette and selection.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Pencil2D
Showing 13 Pencil2D reviews
Pencil2D review by Theodore P.
Theodore P.

"Pencil Puisher Strikers Again !"

What do you like best?

When I first looked at this software tool, well what is the different than the old Paint? However in my work I have to analyze and test, But as I went along I saw that it was much more, What I like best is that it is intuitive, easy to use and the has more stability in drawing objects.

What do you dislike?

One thing I wanted to mention here When you want to bring in a picture, it will let you do some edits on it but it won't let you turn it rotate it around. However, though the support gave a workable solution by taking some snapshots of it and from there you make a copy then do what you want.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This product is worth trying, just for the very fact its ease of use and intuitiveness, but it is also free.

It does depend upon what your current needs are. We want to set things up for the client so that they can go in and do what they need to do in a short to reasonable amount of time without to much hassle.

It gives a easy way to incorporate 2 D messages in various campaign message and also add some animation to the messages.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Pencil2D
Pencil2D review by User in Fine Art
User in Fine Art

"Beginning Animation Drawing Tool for Mac"

What do you like best?

I like that it has a familiar interface to drawing apps, like Paintbrush.The toolbar has pencil, brush, fill, eraser, vector lines and five more. The colors are basic. There is layering by bitmap or vector. The top menu is file, edit, layer, help and windows. I will be looking for more detailed information about how to link the different cells to make the animation video. It is basic and easy to use.

What do you dislike?

I miss not having the shapes tool, as I would be drawing on the app, rather than importing.

The erase tool was not reliable, sometimes it will work and then it won't. Often, after using it, it will continue to erase any subsequent designs I want to create. I have to troubleshoot this to find out if I didn't disable erase or if I need to reinstall?

Recommendations to others considering the product

Very easy interface.

I would like to make short animations for my business showing either characters or products. This is easy enough to create with and I hope it will be quick and easy for mini animations for my products page on Facebook..

What Animation solution do you use?

Pencil2D review by Daniel S.
Daniel S.

"Drawing animations for Mac"

What do you like best?

What I like the most is the Simple and easy to use, its interface is quite nice and it has the minimum tools necessary to make an animation.

What do you dislike?

It has several Bugs, at times some of the tools stop working correctly, which forces the user to perform a restart of the application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Corrections should be made in the inconsistencies presented by the application and thus seek a better experience with the user.

Make several animations with this application for a small development project that integrated products in motion. Start using it as a test and, after overcoming the short learning curve, start using it more frequently.

Pencil2D review by Sabrina B.
Sabrina B.

"Great for beginners, but you'll have to redo all of your setting preferences."

What do you like best?

Super simple to use, especially when you are just learning to use a drawing tablet. You can start from the bottom (i.e. character design) and work your way up to creating full-length animations. Pencil 2D allows you to set the pace for your animation with a "timeline" feature, so you can determine how fast or slow you want them to go.

What do you dislike?

You'll have to redo your setting preferences because the program resets to default whenever you open it up. This is especially true for if you want to use the pen tool, or if you want to use different colours to connote different parts of your animation. You also have to be careful to make sure that each part of your animation is in a different layer, otherwise, you'd have a pile of drawings or sketches instead of an animated character or scene.In addition, the eraser tool isn't the best when it comes to erasing details in your animation; it leaves a lot of pieces of sketches behind. Moreover, there are not near enough tutorials for Pencil 2D so a lot of self-teaching is involved. Finally, you have to make sure you save to the correct file type with Pencil 2D, and the program will only allow you to export images of your animation rather than actual video files. You'll have to compose those images into an animation using a different program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Refer to animation tutorial vids on youtube and blogs about the product(there aren't a lot of Pencil 2D tutorial vids, unfortunately).

I learned how to create fluid animations with Pencil2D software. As I've said before, Pencil 2D is a very simple program to use--there are very few tools you have to learn to use, and once you know where everything is, then you should have no trouble creating a decent animation. Pencil 2D is also the cheapest source for any beginning animators who want to learn the trade but don't have the money to buy expensive software programs.

Pencil2D review by User

"Animate your drawings in a practical and simple way"

What do you like best?

The program has a variety of drawing functions to be a free tool. He emulates very well what it is to draw with pencil and paper. It allows to generate animations in a very practical and easy way. It has a very dynamic interface and easy compression. You can generate layers and frames to vary the time of your animation as well as the option to set scenarios. It allows you to rotate your drawings to visualize them from any perspective. This tool is useful if you find it difficult to draw from other angles, since by selecting this option your drawing will rotate to the perspective you want.

What do you dislike?

It has limitations when drawing on tablet devices. The pressure of the pencil generates pixelated areas on your drawing, you must configure your pointer with your preferences to prevent this problem.

It has helped me in my social work. I have been able to make practical animations specifically in the area of ​​chemistry to explain to the youngest ones how the chemistry works or visualizes. An entertaining environment is created for the children because they are fascinated by this type of drawings.

Pencil2D review by User

"Best 2D Animation tool for Windows"

What do you like best?

The UI interface is the best part of Pencil2D. It is so simple to use that even a new user can pick up this tool in a few hours. Also, the shortcuts make it more easy for the experienced user like me to work fast with the tool.

What do you dislike?

The fact that I can't use it for drawing 3D graphics. Maybe its coded in C++ hence that's the reason the team is not able to make enhances but it would have been great if this tool comes with a 3D animation support as well.

We used to draw widgets for e-commerce clients and there we used to use Pencil2D for customizing few widgets for the clients. Like if we were designing for Valentines Day or any other festive, we used to personalize the widgets with the help of Pencil2D

Pencil2D review by User in Consumer Services
User in Consumer Services

"Pencil2D - First-time user"

What do you like best?

I like how easy the installation was. You just unzip the folder and start using. I have never used this kind of software before and I was able to make a talking and moving character within about 10 minutes if use.

What do you dislike?

It is very limited in what you can do out of the box. But I think it would be great to add animation if things were drawn out of the app.

None. This is specifically for personal use and learning small forms of animation.

Pencil2D review by Adry S.
Adry S.

"Fun software with classic dashboard look"

What do you like best?

it's so simple to use, i'm letting my kids to play with it. Imagine a Paint software from microsoft but add a camera/vector layer with timeline. it's a great and fun tool to educate someone about how animation works

What do you dislike?

nothing so far, everything seems self explanatory. Although i dont understand the real purpose of this app. Maybe it's more functional when you're using a tablet and pen

Recommendations to others considering the product

super easy and fun to use

nothing yet other than education tool

Pencil2D review by Sara C.
Sara C.

"I Can't Wait for Updates!"

Recommendations to others considering the product

Pencil2D review by Hasini D.
Hasini D.

"Flexible animator app"

What do you like best?

It has the best brush tools and they are working perfectly. It is easy to use.

What do you dislike?

Not special dislikes. Lack of tools are disadvantage, but it is great software rather than other.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is best for beginners. Try it for create fantastic animations.

I am using it to create two dimensional animations. Once well known about the layout, it helps to create best animations without doubt.

Pencil2D review by jemaica m.
jemaica m.

"great free program to get started with 3d"

What do you like best?

great price - free! so its good for people just getting started. Very easy to use and get started with animation. Nice to use the layers

What do you dislike?

Its good for being free of course they could always update and add more

Recommendations to others considering the product

Completely recommend for anyone looking to start animation, cant go wrong with free!

Easy to get animations done and practice them.

Pencil2D review by Grey P.
Grey P.

"Pencil2D"

What do you like best?

excelente, ya que es un software de animación 2D -fuente libre y abierto disponible para Windows , Mac OS y Linux . Se trata de un tenedor de ' lápiz ' . La aplicación utiliza una interfaz de dibujo / vector de mapa de bits para producir un simple gráficos y dibujos en 2D , así como la animación . Lápiz está escrito en C ++ y Qt se -basado . La licencia de la aplicación es Licencia Pública General GNU

What do you dislike?

Everything is excellent in this application as it is compatible with all OS

Recommendations to others considering the product

Recommended 100 % for the general public .. and people who want an efficient app

many benefits as it is excellent and everything works perfectly

Pencil2D review by User

"Wonderful Design Tool at a Low Cost"

What do you like best?

I like how I'm able to animate and feel comfortable doing so from a beginner skill level to advanced.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything in particular, the functionality is ahead of its game, and I'm quite fond of this product.

No are no particular problems needing to be solved. The platform allows for ease of use and I find it to be extremely helpful when creating new graphics for an advancing workforce. I benefit from the platforms basic use.

Learning about Pencil2D?

* We monitor all Pencil2D reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.