Paymo Reviews & Product Details

What do you like best?

The ability to build estimates and track my time, and the reports.

To be able to have customers, projects, tasks, invoices, and keep track of what was already invoiced, sent and payed.

Also, it has all I need in one place, from invoice to time management, and a beautiful dashboard. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The fact of paymo not being open source ! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Build a detailed Budget for myself

Deliver an estimate to a customer.

Generate Invoices, Edit them and send to customer Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Paymo Overview

What is Paymo?

Paymo is a modern work management application mainly dedicated to small and medium businesses from industries like Web Design & Development, Creative Agencies, Software & IT Services, Marketing & Social Media or Business Consultants. The main focus of the app is helping teams with collaboration, timesheet management, project accounting and it basically allows you to manage projects from start to finish: - split projects into task lists and tasks and assign them to your employees or co-workers - keep everyone involved in a project up to date with what's happening through discussions - create customizable static and live reports and track business performance - store all the files related to the project - so everyone can access them, anytime - visualize your team work, eliminate bottlenecks and reduce the idle time in your projects - keep track of time spent on all computer activities and allocate that time to projects - track expenses, generate estimates and invoices for the client and get paid online - with milestones, the team knows when major project stages are due to be completed - save project as a template and use it when you need to create a similar project

Paymo Details
Discussions
Paymo Community
Czech, Danish, German, English, Finnish, French, Croatian, Italian, Japanese, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Serbian, Swedish, Turkish, Chinese (Simplified)

Simple project management app that bundles task management, time tracking and invoicing

Paymo offers a good balance between features, price and customization.

Paymo
2008
Bihor, Romania
@Paymo

Paymo Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Paymo community
Have you used Paymo before?

Paymo Reviews

Showing 467 Paymo reviews
Already have Paymo?
Marketing Coordinator
Medical Devices
What do you like best?

The accessibility to the Widget is great! I can easily track time from my desktop bar without having to open a new window tab every time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the web page can be difficult to navigate. It is not inherent where things are. Also, when you need to add an individual project to track time to, you cannot do this in the widget, you have to open a webpage. You can only track time for something that you have already tracked time for without having to open a webpage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend watching and learning all the user interface has to offer because it is not always apparent and easy to understand everything that the platform can do. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to have multiple people/users track time on the same project at the same time. We also can use time reports to easily give proof of our hours to our clients when billing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project Manager
What do you like best?

I love Paymo's UI and its ability to track time and create and send invoices to clients. I sometimes manage my tasks there too and it's been an incredible experience to organize and work with Gantt Charts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to see the invoicing tools more expanded and implemented with new features such as adding different billing options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think that if you're looking for a software that will allow you to manage tasks, projects, invoices and tracking time without having to pay for each app separately, this one's for you. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I started using Paymo for its time tracker and then I found out about its invoicing options and it was amazing. Handling everything billing-related digitally has been really great for my time management and overall work environment. I sometimes work on personal taslks with the app too and it's wonderful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in Paymo
Front End Developer (remote, contract)
What do you like best?

As a consultant, contractor, business owner - whatever type of work I'm doing I need to track time, projects, tasks, do billing and have clients pay online - Paymo does all this and does it well. I've been able to replace three other paid services (billing, project management and time tracking) with this one service, which does all three as well or better. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing comes to mind, really. Can we get a dark theme? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try using the time tracking widget. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Invoicing clients, having them pay online, project and tasks organization and tracking, tracking my billed time with the Paymo widget. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in Paymo
What do you like best?

There are different layouts on how you can view your projects. There is the list, table, board, and calendar layouts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike how confusing it is and it is difficult to use. Compared to Click-Up, it doesn't connect tasks well. I'm not sure if even that feature is available because I tried looking for it, but haven't found it yet. In Click-Up, you could see when the task before your task has been completed or not, which then it would tell you that you can start your task now. I wish it had a feature like that. If the person who created the task forgets to add in the deadline, then I would never see that task on my dashboard. I have to go searching for it among the many pages. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using Paymo as a project management tool for everyone on our team. It's been giving us some trouble though. There aren't many benefits. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Team Growth Strategist & Founder
What do you like best?

Paymo is a wonderful creation is one of the most solid project management software in the market and it is because it has a set of tools such as task management, Gantt charts and kanban boards, automatic time tracking and reporting of hours worked and resource scheduling just to name a few of the many functions that we can make use of in this software to ensure a perfect workflow with respect to the general characteristics we observed a fluid interface and with a design to which they put a lot of effort to provide a really pleasant experience to the user Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As for the negative side of Paymo we found a web task timer that does not take into account the moments of inactivity, not very useful to manage marketing projects, incomplete mobile applications which require a little more work, you need more collaboration tools because the access and remote assistance are very slow so larger organizations may have problems Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are many reasons why I would recommend Paymo as a project management software but the main ones are its platform which is very complete and rich in functions, its fluid interface which has a characteristic and innovative design that makes learning much easier and for its great capacity as a task management software that allows to organize a certain project in detail Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In my project management organization it was a quite complex task until Paymo came along as it gave us a lot of solid and easy to learn features with which we organized projects, defined tasks and monitored all activities running in real time, besides this the time saving template tools, milestone alerts and task lists have helped us achieve a lot of our goals in a short time Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
What do you like best?

I've been using Paymo for my business project management, CRM and accounting for 2 years now.

What I can say is it's been a lifesaver in many business management areas, beside project management.

With built-in budgeting, time tracking, expense tracking, estimate calculations, professional invoicing and getting paid online (and on time!), different project 'views' (list, table, board for kanban, gantt), extensive filters, dashboard and insights, resource scheduling, live time reports, client portal - and all that in one app - it's a sanity saver!

One of the things I also personally quite appreciate is the professional and clean look of the invoices (and how easy it is for clients to pay them online). With a click of a button, you can add the unbilled time/fees for a specific time period and/or projects to an invoice. Paymo does all that heavy admin stuff for you and it has saved me a lot of time!

Cherry on the top: all invoice items are presented so neatly and professionally, so that my clients can see exactly everything I've worked on for them and what I'm billing them for, as well as how much time is tracked for each project and task.

It's brilliant.

Paymo is the tool designed for actual freelancers in mind, whether you work on a project basis, or a pay-as-you-go basis with your clients.

I've previously used Asana, Trello, Basecamp, Zoho Projects, Teamwork and NONE of them were enough to cover my freelance business management needs.

When I signed up for Paymo's free trial, I knew it was the one. Paymo does exactly what my freelance business needs it to do, and exactly the way it should do it and it gets even better.

With even better features and improvements on their roadmap, I can bet this tool is going to beat all the competitors out there.

The last but not least - my clients love it, and Paymo customer support is so easy to reach and a pleasure to deal with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish the app was just a little bit faster, but I read somewhere that they already have this improvement on their roadmap.

Still, if you ask me, it's totally worth the wait for every new feature and improvement their team is cooking for us :) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get on their free trial and try it out! Nothing to lose, and it's worth checking if it's the right tool for your business needs (it certainly is for mine). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've increased my productivity with Paymo's Kanban board view, combined with Table view, and saved TONS of hours on admin, invoicing, timesheets, client and project management.

Just this time saving alone pays off the monthly subscription.

Sanity and nerves saving is the bonus! :)

Why? Because Paymo helped me maintain good client relationships, timesheet transparency and great records&data representation for a client. So when a client comes up with a random question about a specific task, Paymo's records make finding (and presenting) a specific information or record so much easier, transparent and more reliable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing Partner
What do you like best?

Everything. When I started using Paymo (2015) I really needed a timer since I deal with a variety of clients. It was easy to use, and very intuitive for my needs. It wasn't until I started to poke around all the other features that I realized this little app is amazing. I get to use it with my team (remoters) and am able to edit just as easily. But if I had to chose one thing I like the best, it's the price! That's a lot of awesomeness for such a little price. I hope that doesn't give these guys any ideas! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing about this app. Not sure how many words I need... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ease of use. Inexpensive. It's a great tool for any business that needs to figure out how to manage their time/team/campaigns. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Client management, and keeping consultants happy by giving them the ability to pick any day of the month to dock their time. It has also given us the opportunity to realize how much time is allotted for a specific project, in order to better quote the next similar project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Program Management Officer, Global Marketing PMO
What do you like best?

After years of using project management software for both myself and companies I've worked for, I found the right tool for the job for my personal, small business as a marketing coach and online entrepreneur.

Until I build a team, I'm using Paymo for myself, and other tools are not always price-sensitive for a solo user. I appreciate that Paymo provides an option to pay for one user until I'm ready to grow.

A particular feature I was looking for was the option to view all projects on a single Kanban board. In the rare case that I found this option, it was a significant upgrade to acquire. But Paymo offers this and it's super easy to use!

Other features I love:

- Time-tracking/timesheet: Visual representation of where my time goes. I use the in app timer every day.

- Flexible viewing options: I can easily switch between list, table, board, and gantt views, with easy to use filters that allow me to see exactly what I want. No custom reports or views need created - which can be time-consuming and inflexible (enterprise tools).

- Note: The user experience of the Gantt chart was also what I was looking for. It is drag and drop and allows you to adjust your timeline from within the view.

- There's so much to love about Paymo! And that is saying a lot coming from someone who has researched and used as many tools as I have - including enterprise solution, Workfront. It’s definitely worth giving a try. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

- I would like to be able to invite users as reviewers to my account. Right now, if I want a coaching client to be able to view tasks in Paymo, I have to add them as a new, paid user.

- The name! Whenever I tell people about Paymo they assume I'm talking about a financial app, not a project management tool. I would hate for this to hinder such a wonderful tool in the marketplace!

- I would like to receive in-app reminders about work that is due. I have Paymo synced to my calendar and I receive email reminders, but it would be better for me if the app sent push notifications. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Paymo is so easy to use, that I actually use it! This has boosted my productivity greatly. It is easy to add work, view work, track work, track time, and more. Paymo has a timer feature that is also super intuitive when used via the mobile app and that I use every day. I love to use the timesheet for a visual representation of where my time has gone. What doesn't get measured, doesn't get improved! Also, even though I'm currently a solo operation, I have a lot of projects, and I need to be able to see a global view of my work. A lot of tools I've tried do not have this option, and if they do, it's an upgrade that is cost-prohibitive. Not only can I see all of my work at a time, but using a dropdown menu, I can easily switch between different views: list, table, board (kanban). Using Paymo allows me to stay on the work required to grow my business. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Paymo is not too much, not to little. It's everything I need in one place. I can manage projects with freelancers, track everybody's time, and easily bill those hours. It's also super easy to use, so there wasn't an enormous learning curve. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I thought the in-app discussions would be a clean way to communicate with freelancers, rather than have a ton of email threads to dig through, but it turned out to be really awkward when we tried it. It might work better for larger teams, but for me it wasn't right. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it out. Paymo is easy to use and easy to set up, so there's not a lot of risk involved in terms of wasted time. Consider the features you are actually going to use on any platform, and judge based on how user friendly those features are. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I had been using a free accounting platform for years, and really liked it, but I had no time tracking or project management options within it. I didn't want to piecemeal solutions, and I had signed up for a ton of free trials before stumbling on Paymo. Once I tried Paymo, I realized it was exactly what I needed. Being able to add users (and archive and reassign users) was an invaluable benefit that wasn't even on my radar initially. It used to take me more time to itemize invoices than to complete some jobs, but Paymo does all of that for me! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Paymo does a fantastic job first and foremost at tracking time and tasks across clients and projects. The desktop timer is best in class and makes it very easy to add an ad-hoc task or select from existing tasks (including a quick way to select recently tracked tasks as often those are used most). With the time tracking setup, it is very easy to bill only unbilled time and expenses (tracked in Paymo) for each client in a fast and efficient way and even push those invoices into Quickbooks Online. These features are what drew me into Paymo when I started using Paymo more than 9 years ago as I began my freelancer career.

In addition to the fantastic time tracking and invoices, Paymo does a solid job on basic project management. I was able to grow into these features as I went from freelance to having a small agency team. Paymo's tools are intuitive mostly and make growing into the system very easy. Using a traditional client / project / task relationship, makes onboarding easy and efficient compared to some PM software that requires more setup due to being able to PM for everything, not just client relationships / standard agency use like ours and trying to offer more powerful flexibility than Paymo.

The Kanban board view is great with custom workflow statuses and having a dedicated view for my tasks vs the team's tasks makes things easy to swap back in forth between my PM hat and other work. Priority and due date options make it easy to prioritize things as needed. Also the quick budget estimate reminder notification is a nice way to prevent overages on task time or project costs without having to do much. Lastly, the recurring tasks is a nice feature for monthly maintenance we do for clients.

A cool feature is live, dynamic reports that can be shared as static links to clients so if a client is every worried about hours, the client can click the link at anytime and see where they stand in terms of hours. Likewise, we use this function to bill for contractors' time.

Lastly, Paymo is very affordable and we can easily add contractors as needed without a large overhead. We can pay month to month without any long term contract. It has never gone down and support has always been fantastic. The value we have gotten out of it over the years is top notch and we have no regrets. It has tremendous value if it meets you or your company's needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While Paymo makes things for easy for Project Management with its basic client / project relationships, this does make it less flexible for say internal projects or as CRM. Since every project must be assigned to a client, you have to make a faux client for use internally. Likewise, while you can create custom Kanban workflows (say for a sales pipeline), the Kanban view is not easy to ready as it shows all of your workflows on one screen, ie. I see our dev workflow followed by our CRM workflow below it and its just too much information to be useful.

Additionally, Google Drive integration is great, but it always asks us to verify permissions over and over each time we add new files to a task. This only takes 2 extra clicks, but gets tiresome and keeps us from using Drive within Paymo. Luckily, Paymo is generous with space on uploading files directly to their system so it was a huge deal over the years.

Another area we struggled with as projects grew is having a good financial view of whats going on with projects at a quick glance in the project itself while the project is in execution. While Paymo tracks each user's cost vs your rate to clients (so it can determine project profit theoretically), it doesn't present this in an easy way. It is buried far into reports which while can be emailed, doesn't put it front and center as you work through a project. For example, some PM software has bar graphs within the project so you can see your expected profile vs actual profit based on hours worked, same with time, etc. To be fair to Paymo, very few of the cheaper PM options out there have this capability.

A few more things we had a hard time with on the PM as our team grew above 5 people. First off, there is not an easy way to convert an email into a task. Some systems use a team inbox alias so something like support@example.com would create a task when emailed or others have Gmail add-ons for converting emails to tasks. While other PM software actually puts your own inbox in the PM software itself to convert emails to asks. This is important to have for efficiency and less errors. In addition, Paymo's lack of a client portal has left us to organize things more or less from email with clients compared to some other PM software. Also task dependencies can be set using their Gantt chart, but not within Kanban or actual tasks preventing users from starting a task when they shouldn't, etc. Lastly, Paymo is one of the only small PM software choices with resource allocation planning for users, but we could never get this to work with the ghost booking. It just never seemed intuitive to us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Paymo to freelancers and small teams who need a fast, efficient and easy to learn project management, time tracking and invoicing system. It is ideal for agencies and businesses who track hours and bill accordingly as this is still where Paymo really shines above the rest. If you are working on complex, large projects, keep in mind that it does have add-on features like the Gantt chart option, but the financial views we found to be limited within the project views themselves. If you are okay with using reports though, you can probably get what you need. Also keep in mind that Paymo is not built for use as CRM or managing projects outside of traditional client / project relationships like some other PM software is. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Paymo does a fantastic job at making sure you can tracking projects, tasks for clients and then bill the correct amount to clients. It is ideal for hourly work in our opinion. It has allowed our company to see a bird's eyeview of everything we need to be doing and when. It has become an essential part of our business, the most important software we use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UX. UI. Motion. Design. Development.
Design
What do you like best?

I use Paymo to manage: time, tasks, projects, clients, create time reports, look at my week/month/year statistics. It works great with RTL language.

During the day I use a desktop app timer, that counts time spent for all my tasks.

When I work outside the office I use a mobile app.

Everything is completely synchronized, thus I never loose time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Paymo has important features I could find useful for me like the Gantt Chart, but for extra money.

I prefer not to pay since I don't find it necessary right now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Cheap, easy, amazing development team Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Since I started to use Paymo, it helps me see improvements in my management. I can see it through time reports, where I see time spent for each task. I can see it by most paying client who I can give more attention, gifts.

I don't worry if I've forgotten to assign a time for some time, because I can simply include it by the end of the day, and when it's time to send the report to my client and receive payment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Paymo works well for our small business. It is reliable, easy to use and produces great reports and invoices. It makes time tracking a breeze and our detailed time reports means clients know exactly what we are billing for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

In general, you do have to be disciplined to remember to "clock in" and "clock out" if you want to keep accurate records. But they make it quite easy (we use Macs for all our work). Monthly billing could be more automated -- but that's more of a wish than a dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend Paymo as a standalone time tracking, reporting and invoicing system. If you need something that integrates with other systems, then, as expected, you should make sure Paymo meets your integration needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We bill by the hour (actually by the minute). Paymo makes it frictionless to enter our time as we do tasks throughout the day. The benefit is that when it is time to bill clients, there's no argument about how we spent our time -- it's all there for them to see. And we don't miss those "a few minutes here, a few minutes there" kind of tasks that can really add up over a month. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Designer & Front-End Developer
Internet
What do you like best?

Paymo manages to be fully featured and yet simple to use. It has also steadily evolved since the early days and I never have to worry that it's going to simply disappear on me one day. The support team is responsive and knowledgeable and their feature set perfectly meets my time tracking needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a more robust reporting option for income and invoicing. Right now I don't use the invoicing feature at all because I find it's too clunky. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Paymo for tracking my time spent on various web design projects. I love that I can use it on multiple computers, that it just seamlessly tallies up everything I do and provides great stats to help me understand where my time is going. The desktop app has the invaluable "idle stop" feature, so that it notices if you wander off and forget to turn the timer off first. I just can't say enough good things about this service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Excellent Time tracking facilities, Project Management features & Quickbooks integration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No current external user access for projects. Mobile app whilst excellent could do with a little more functionality to bring it inline with the website experience, but as a simple time tracking application works flawlessly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the trial and see what you think, but I was very impressed from day one, and havent found anything for my needs that was as well thought out & simple to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I was looking for a solution like Paymo for a very long time. Prior to this I was using at least 3 services for project managment, time tracking & invoicing. Paymo's app, interface & the way it all integrates into one product is perfect for myself as a freelance Graphic Designer. I also use Quickbooks for invoicing and Paymo's integration with that is as seamless as can be.

Support has been outstanding. The one remaining feature I am in need of is being able to grant external access for clients to view project progress/deliver links to proofs. I contacted support early on and was advised this feature is coming. In the few short months I have used Paymo there have already been several updates to the interface that have streamlined the experience further.

Invaluable tool for me right now and couldn't recommend it enough. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
What do you like best?

Easy invoicing, ability to track time, manage team, manage projects. Everything it has been thought through and it's connected. It feels like an ecosystem when you're using the platform. The design is very intuitive and I love the continuity. Here and there I think it could have been made more modern, but it is nothing to complain about honestly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't have native MacOS and iPhone Application, except for the ones that track the time, but they are a pain in the ass to use and I never use them. Very bad UX, and VERY limited functionality. Also, I would love to have more features for the financial department. Right now, the platform is a little limited compared to other systems who are specialized in bookkeeping. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Hire more people, advance faster. I'm with you for almost 3 years now, and I could see many stages of improvement along the way. You're doing the right things and you are on the right path, but it takes a long time, and I know as a fact that in this line of service if you don't move fast enough, someone else will... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's the place where I'm keeping all the subscriptions from my clients. I also add tasks for our developers to do and invoicing plays a big role, and I hope it will receive new features in the future. All in all I think is the main platform that we run our company with and without it we couldn't. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Vice President Of Operations
What do you like best?

Paymo has the perfect amount of complexity for us. Not too much, not too little... it's just right. I love that I can assign projects and then view my resource allocation in the Team Scheduler. I also love that I can easily see the exact status of all our projects (by project lead or any number of things) and then drill into each project, each task, and as much detail as I'd like. I also like that, as a manager, I can use Paymo during my one on one meetings so that I can coach my team members effectively. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is very little to dislike, but if I were nitpicking, there are only two user types... Admins and Users. Sometimes we need a bit more visibility for our managers but not so much visibility that they are admins. But, there are workarounds and for the price, Paymo is amazing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend Paymo to everyone who asks. As a services/consulting company it has everything that we need... and if you happen to find something it doesn't have, you can use the API or Zapier to integrate with other functionality without having to pay any additional money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Initially, we used Paymo for timekeeping but it morphed into our full project management system and our project resource allocation platform. Paymo has helped us track every aspect of our project efficiencies including saving us thousands of dollars on projects where we had underestimated the time that it was taking to complete fixed-price contracts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.