Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Reviews & Product Details

What is Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS)?

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) product portfolio helps consumers, businesses and service providers to fully experience and optimize computing.

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Screenshots

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Profile Details

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Profile Details

Parallels
1999
Bellevue, WA
@ParallelsMac

Companies Using Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS)

JCPenney

1-50 of 61 total Parallels RAS reviews

Parallels Remote Application Server (RAS) Reviews

1-50 of 61 total Parallels RAS reviews
UA

"So simple and easy to use!!"

What do you like best?

What I love the most with Parallels is that when I’m not connected directly to the company’s server I can remote into any of the applications that I need to with if not at the office. So it’s great when I’m off sick or at home when a problem arises, I can pull out my computer and remote directly to all my work data. When the server is down at airport and we cannot check in I still have my laptop that we can remote in to get any check in data needed. It also has a really good mobile app too which is a really good plus.

What do you dislike?

There’s not much that I don’t dislike with Parallels, at first it seemed a bit confusing but now it’s so easy.

Some business problems that I am solving with Parallels would be any work related issues that arises when I’m not in the office such as reservations systems issues that need to be solved so I can connect remotely and fix anything that needs to be fixed. The benefits of having Parallels when my works network is down is amazing. I can continue working with ease by connecting to the airports wifi and using Parallels

AC

"for us an indispensable tool for many year"

What do you like best?

The feature set, performance and quality increased over the years.

What do you dislike?

the licensing changed some time ago and after Parallels purchased RAS from 2X the price unfortunately increased extremely and the german support office was closed.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need to access and use Windows applications and data from any device then Parallels RAS is for you.

Parallels RAS extends the server integrated RDP services outstandingly.

Since 2006 we are using RAS to connect a remote office with 6 workers and several remote workers at home or while travelling over VPN to our companie´s network. They use our local ERP system, MS Office and our unified messaging system with their RAS clients on Windows, OS X and even some with their iPad Pro.

"Parallels Systems"

What do you like best?

As a graduate student and researcher, I have enjoyed using Parallel2x over the last 2 years.I access Parallel2x 2-4x a day for both work to log into our private computer and also to access the various software programs that I need for school and work.

What do you dislike?

The one thing that I noticed about Parallel2x is that after a period of inactivity, or toggling windows between the Parallels system and my own Macbook Air, is that the Parallels environment will freeze, as in when I click areas where I can type text like to log back onto my remote computer, I cannot type anything. Usually, I log out of Parallels and then log back onto it, as this will resolve the problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend Parallels and I have greatly enjoyed using it. I probably don't understand the full capabilities of the software, but in terms of remotely logging onto my desktop at work and the software programs there, I think it is an appropriate software to use.

Business-wise, we use Parallels to remotely access our computers in the workplace so that we can use various softwares, such as ArcGIS and SAS.

Special Project Manager
Higher Education

"Best Solution for seamless integration of Windows Products on Mac"

What do you like best?

Coherence - Beautiful integration but not without glitches. Can run Windows programs seamlessly.

What do you dislike?

When Windows goes into sleep mode, or your mac goes into sleep mode, any of the connected network drives will automatically get disconnected.

Also, when you freeze a state, if you haven't shut down certain programs they will cause problems when you try to unfreeze the state exactly as before.

Overall, these are small glitches with easy workarounds when you know to expect them.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have only one or two programs that you need Windows for or you are developing for multiple platforms then Parallels is an awesome solution. If, however, you do a large portion of your work on Windows then having a dedicated Windows computer will probably be more efficient even though their service is seamless. It's still a bit slower (especially in graphic intensive programs like AutoCad)

There are still a few programs out there that haven't been ported to the Mac and it is those that I need. Also, I use a right-to-left language on the Office Suite, which has only recently been implemented (this year) in Mac. Slowly, but surely, all the major programs are porting over to Mac. However, Microsoft Access is not yet here. As well as a few other programs.

Front-End Web Developer, Office of Mediated Education
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Great product, but requires yearly upgrade"

What do you like best?

It's easy to use; It works really well for running Windows inside Mac OS; it runs fairly fast, I have even been able to play some games through Steam pretty well inside it; it offers some nice Mac OS integration features; it will run a Mac Boot Camp partition inside Mac OS as a VM

What do you dislike?

They release a new version every year that you have to buy if you also want to upgrade to the newest version of Mac OS every year; to add to the problem of having to upgrade every year, it's a fairly expensive piece of software

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I chose Parallels Desktop because it had the best performance of any similar software at running Windows within Mac OS. The price is fairly high, and it will require a yearly upgrade fee. If you want the best performance and compatibility for running a Windows VM and the cost is not important, then I do highly recommend Parallels Desktop. If you just need a simple VM solution for Windows, you don't need Boot Camp support, and performance is not an option or if you just need to run a Linux VM, then there are a few other cheaper solutions available.

I use Parallels Desktop on my Mac primarily to test websites in Windows web browsers. It has also been very helpful when I need some Windows-specific piece of software or feature, such as reading and writing to an NTFS partitioned disk.

Senior Innovation Fellow / Software Engineer
E-Learning

"Great if you need different versions of OS"

What do you like best?

You can install many types and versions of OS on a single machine (I use Mac) in order to use different software that is not available on your main OS or test for cross platform compatibility. You can switch easily between different instances of those OS.

The UI is beautiful and dummy-proof.

What do you dislike?

The speed to launch Windows is a little slow. But Windows launches slowly by itself.

Sometimes Parallels quits itself unexpectedly.

Sometimes I like the feature of launching a Windows application in its own window instead of in the Windows desktop. But other times I find it's annoying because I sometimes mistakenly launch Windows apps from the spotlight, and it takes a while to quit Parallel which is launching.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Parallel isn't free, and they release new versions frequently. Unfortunately you can't upgrade your purchased Parallel for free. Its main competitor, VirtualBox, is free. But in my opinion Parallel is easier to use than VirtualBox.

To use different software that is not available on your main OS or test for cross platform compatibility

Web Designer

"Control other OS with a single Software"

What do you like best?

Parallel Desktop is a single software where you can use and control other OS on Mac. You can use it for Windows, Linux, and even other OS.

You can customize parallel desktop setting such as binding keys. That's for ctrl key on windows to be cmd key on Mac. You can even start multiple window at a time. The best part is that you don't need to restart your mac to run the other OS, not like mac virtual harddrive where you have to restart Mac to load the windows.

What do you dislike?

Although Parallel Desktop is a great software to work with multiple OS on Mac. Some issues on it makes the user need time to make it fully functional, in short, it need time to be studied. and sometimes there's even a bug where mouse freeze and the key binding sometimes not recorded well. and it require a big space.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend anyone who like to use multiple desktop and multiple OS at once. Although you need time to use this, this is a great software where in the future will help you and your work.

Parallel Desktop let you install other OS on your Mac. so basically it solve problem where some software didn't have any Mac version. You can easily use Parallel Desktop to use Windows and use windows software that you need. Although there are some software that have both version, sometime, the Windows one are more updated.

Postdoctoral Researcher
(5001-10,000 employees)

"2-years experience on Parallels "

What do you like best?

Parallels Desktop supports Mac users running all windows softwares on Mac. It is quite useful because I needs Parallels Desktop when I am doing data analysis under windows system and writing assays under Mac at the same time. It could help connect two systems and it works well.

What do you dislike?

Parallels Desktop is very pricey but I have to keep upgrading Parallels Desktop and buying it every one or two years because old version Parallels Desktop do not support the new IO system. It is quite annoying for me, so I have to ignore the new IO to fit the old Parallels Desktop.

When I do analysis of the physic data, I can only use the softwate, Origin, under Windows but I have to run other simulation softwares under Mac. The only way is using Mac to run Parallels Desktop,

Full Stack Developer

"Ultimate experience with windows platform on top of OsX"

What do you like best?

The flexibility mainly offered by this product helps me to decide on each and every feature of my remote machine. Starting from ram, storage space to key combination. I even can change the shortcuts of copy paste from ctrl+c+v to cmd+c+v using this. Thus it gives me complete environment to work on windows while leveraging the power of mac. It also allows running a windows app directly inside mac osx.

What do you dislike?

Sometime it crashes or didn't respond as per setting/configuration. Specially the graphics related setting somehow gets disturbed. I remember when setting resolution of remote (window) machine to a particular resolution (don't remember the exact but I guess its 1600 x something), the mouse stops working.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Anyone who are somehow bounded to windows or any other os can use this software to run multiple os without restarting the system. I specifically use it on my mac which gives tight integration on mac and every app of my remote machine behaves like its installed on my mac only.

I do all my .NET development projects using this virtual machine only. This enables me to leverage the power of mac and allows me to use the windows platform without restarting my system. I haven't tried installing any os other than windows but I am sure that it would offer proper isolation for all the os. I found that allmy window apps are running in a way that it has been installed on mac itself. So being a developer practically I can run visual studio on my mac.

Lead Developer and Code Reviewer

"Best Visualization tool for MAC users."

What do you like best?

It is highly recommended this application if you are a developer or even if you just need to make virtual machines in you MAC. It is very fast and the virtualization in windows is very very smooth. It share desktops between your host and the guest.

What do you dislike?

It is only for MAC and they take su much time making updates when Apple releases a new operating system. I had a lot of problems when Apple update to Yosemite,

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to create virtual machines in iMacs, this is the best option for you.

I had the need to work on a virtual machine in my IMac. So, I decided to use parallels instead of another virtualization manager. Because the compatibility of the hardware from the host to the guest was better than other virtualization managers.

Freelance Web Developer
Internet

"Best app to experience Windows in Mac"

What do you like best?

Easy of use to setup and run windows os in Mac. Support for Windows out of the box. Running both Mac and Windows on Parallels is faster and not memory hogging like VirtualBox

What do you dislike?

Express installation doesn't work. Have to use manual step to install Windows 10. Free upgrades could help very helpful for those who bought it in the last six months of purchase.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use Virtualisation software compared to other apps.

I had to install Windows OS to use Visual Studio 2015 and looked at different software VirtualBox, VMWare, Bootcamp and Parallels. I finally decided to use Parallels because of easy of use and run smoothly along Mac.

sr. BIM Manager
Information Services

"Very useful but expensive and frequent upgrades"

What do you like best?

It does what it needs to do: runs Windows on your Mac, without rebooting. It supports virtual hard disks, but also Boot camp (dual partition). It takes a fast Mac to make it usable. Since I upgraded my machine (retina Macbook Pro) it shines again. I mainly use it for 3D intensive software, which is quite demanding, but it is usable.

Very complete OSX integration, including native Mac shortcuts that are translated, access to file system, mapping of document folders, networking (e.g. I run Rhinoceros with Network license in Parallels, even from home, through a VPN connection).

What do you dislike?

With OS updates, you often are required to buy an upgrade that is almost as expensive as a new license. I bought it already a few times with deals to have it a but cheaper. E.g. free OS Mavericks requires €40 upgrade for Parallels…

Integration into OSX generates countless "windows apps" that start cluttering my Spotlight searches and native filetype associations.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is one of the best ways to run Windows-native apps in OSX, with complete integration. Support for complex 3D applications is quite good. But cost of upgrades can be considerable.

Running the last few Windows-only programs on my Mac that I still need: Rhinoceros 5 with Grasshopper, Autodesk Revit and Tekla Bimsight, alongside Microsoft Visual Studio. Even though I can boot in Boot camp, it is often more convenient to run Parallels.

Since moving to a faster i7 with SSD and the upgrade to Windows 10, the speed of launching Windows and running a Windows-only application has become very bearable. In most cases, I don't boot in Windows anymore. Only for extensive sessions of the more heavy BIM software with larger models, I makes sense to fully launch Windows and use all available hardware resources.

Senior MicroStrategy Developer

"Windows on Mac"

What do you like best?

Windows starts in seconds, seamless integration, fast, quick and no need to renounce to Windows application when using a Mac.

The interface is really simple to use, advanced settings are easily available but they are normally invisible.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes you need to open two different Windows machines on your Mac which already has quite a lot of applications open. This can slow down or even block everything. Usually a solution is to kill other applications that use a lot of memory, like Google Chrome

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try, you won't go back.

We use Mac for everything here, but we are forced to use Windows for our BI suite, Parallel is the best shot to have a virtual machine with Windows on Mac.

Principal Co-Founder
(Myself Only)

"Easy-to-use virtual machine software with good performance and configuration options"

What do you like best?

* Very easy to use software in general, with good user interface

* Good performance – as long as there's not too much going on on my host machine (MacBook Pro 2013), the Windows virtual machine runs almost just like it were installed on the actual machine

* Options for configuration (keyboard, mouse, network, external devices, etc.) are extensive – how they interact with host and guest systems can be controlled to suit pretty much any environments

* Excellent integration with Mac – things like shared folders & drives, shared applications, and "coherence" mode can make the experience with virtual machines very fluid

* Regular updates to fix bugs, enhance performance, and other improvements

* Support for wide range of guest OS's – good performance on all

* Good online support for all sorts of issues – email, phone, and remote desktop

What do you dislike?

* Complex key bindings (translations) sometimes to not get translated well – this has been my experience with Windows guest OS's at least

* It sometimes takes a fair amount of effort and several days to get support issues escalated to the appropriate level/team

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Parallels Desktop definitely has advantages in integration, performance, and user support over free virtual machines. If you need virtual machine software for Mac, and are happy to pay, then Parallels is probably the best choice.

I use Parallels to run Windows 10 (and previously Windows 7) for various applications and for cross-testing software. Parallels has made this is a very straightforward task.

UR

"Mosaic Power Parallels"

What do you like best?

I like that I can access tools from a central desktop. I personally use a Mac but we require Internet Explorer for a few of our applications. I am able to access tools that are only operable on IE. I also like that everybody on my work team can access the tools from the same desktop.

What do you dislike?

I find that the appearance is a likely grainy. I am not sure why. Also, I get a 'snapshot' message all the time when I personally have not uploaded anything.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think it can be difficult to use in that the appearance is grainy. Also, when I try to download programs to my Mac, the default is to download to the Parallels environment, and that gets confusing.

I use a Mac and I'm able to use products and services that are only operable on Internet Explorer.

Senior Interactive Designer
Education Management

"Great Software, had no problems!"

What do you like best?

I had no issues using the software at all. I used it to run more Mac servers on my machine and it never crashed any of the instances or the host machine itself. It was very reliable.

What do you dislike?

When running for extended periods of time it did have a tendency to slow down the host machine, but that is expected.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

See if the price is right for you when considering the cost of the software plus the operating systems you want to operate.

I needed more servers at different ip addresses on the network really fast to run a web application. This allowed me to do so. It also allowed me to run different operating systems for testing.

Senior Sales Negotiator
Real Estate

"Excellent tool to use multiple platforms via virtual machine"

What do you like best?

Being able to use Windows based software on a Macbook Pro without any requirement to reboot my mac into 'windows'. This is a fantastic feature as I can alternate work between both mac osx and windows via Parallels Desktop. Highly recommended

What do you dislike?

The only thing I guess is something that could be improved on is the amount of free systems available to test on. There is quite a few varied platforms from Mordern IE on windows to Android. I guess if a user was requiring to test different versions of IE, it would be a little easier to do so via a quick download.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As previously mentioned:

Ability to swipe between different platforms - makes working on different platforms simultaneously a much easier task than having to 'boot' into a different operating system that other virtual machines can make you do. System resources don't seem to be hit anywhere near as hard compared to other software. The cost is very low for what you can get out of Parallels Desktop, so it is well recommended. Using it on a daily basis to access Windows is a breeze.

Being able to use Windows based software on a Mac platform without any issues. You can even scroll sideways to flick between Mac and Windows or any other platforms you are using Parallels Desktop for. A fantastic piece of kit that is well worth it's low cost!

Controller, Financial Services

"Parallels Desktop"

What do you like best?

Parallels lets me use all of my Mac, while still working from various platforms i.e. with Windows, etc. without having to mess around with having a dozen physicals or VM's on remote sites (e.g. Azure, Amazon).

Once of the nicest features of Parallels is the Coherence mode; which lets me run another operating system / instance on my Mac with full copy/paste ability. I can use software that has to be running on Windows without having the pain of rebooting, working from another machine or feeling like I'm going from one user experience to another; everything is seamless and that's the beauty of Parallels.

What do you dislike?

Only issue I have is that sometimes it appears to run slowly when working in Coherence. If you can improve this then I see no issues.

Helps us run our Windows based programs on our Mac Laptops. This enables us to avoid the need to purchase new software or spend hours developing new software.

UN

"Great for MacBook to Split Test Windows"

What do you like best?

I have a MacBook so I love that Parallels is non-invasive on memory and I do not need to always reboot my computer in order to see how something looks like on Windows operating system. This allows me to seamlessly switch between even Windows 7, Windows 10, and more to see how our website looks on other platforms, and other operating systems.

What do you dislike?

It is a little slower because you are essentially splitting up your RAM. You can't necessarily do too much either because lower processing power.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do bootcamp AND get Parallels. If you need something intensive, then bootcamp and hop on that partition. If otherwise, you can just use Parallels.

Greatly increases efficiency and allows our team to be versatile. We greatly enjoyed Apple products and so Parallels was a perfect product for us and allowed us to not have to invest in a new computer for example.

Web Development & Graphic Design
Retail

"Excellent to use Windows on a Mac osx machine"

What do you like best?

Not only can you use Parallels desktop to run windows on your Mac machine, but you can actually download test environments which makes it easier to test things on the fly rather than installing a windows version from scratch

What do you dislike?

Sometimes my mac slows in performance speed, but this is after a while of running both so you cannot really fault it!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to use, straight out of the box. It's pretty cheap which makes this software very cost effective for a user or business to easily access windows on a mac machine. It's fantastic to be able to not have to reboot the mac to use windows and you can seamlessly use both operating systems side by side. A brilliant piece of software that I fully recommend to anyone who requires something similar to my requirements.

We use Parallels Desktop to give us access as a business to use windows software, in particular, BT IP Office manager. Using parallels means as a business we can modify our phone system with great ease of use.

IT Infrastructure Engineer
Oil & Energy

"Best way to Run windows on a Mac"

What do you like best?

Coherence Mode is fantastic, the fact that I can run Windows and Mac applications side by side is a great experience. The power saving features in parallels mean that my Macbook battery is not really effected by running windows in a VM.

The windows installation is great, installs quickly and requires little know how, anyone could do it!

What do you dislike?

I have few dislikes with Parallels desktop, it has frozen up on me once or twice although a recent update seems to have solved this.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Well worth buying!

I bought a MacBook as I needed a ultra portable laptop with great battery life, the 2015 MacBook was perfect but I did need to run Windows applications. Parallels desktop fitted the bill perfectly and it is now used daily.

Designer
Design

"Parallels Desktop"

What do you like best?

The best thing is that I can run windows while I'm using my OSX. I like how well is it integrated to the main system, like copying files, open files from OSX with programs on the virtual windows. It just makes my workflow much simplier.

What do you dislike?

The only problem I can find is when the cursors stuck in the parallels windows.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Best option if you want to use OSX without compromises.

I basically use it to run CAD modelling programs. This was the only field where I couln't find any alternative to use in OSX. But the Parallels Desktop just solved this problem.

Application Engineer

"Using Parallels to test application deployments between platforms "

What do you like best?

Parallels does a fantastic job at taking advantage of the Mac platform. Translating things like multitouch gestures, key mapping and ostensive HFS mounting within other operating systems. These are all nice-to-haves that you eventually come to appreciate and uses daily.

I've found Parallels to do a fantastic job with 3d acceleration and adaptive speed performance. Some of the 'other guys' have been around a lot longer and that is what drew me to those products initially, but the Parallels team knows Apple and how to make use of the platform to make a better virtualization experience.

Quite possibly my favorite feature is the creation and administration of machines through the command line. This makes starting/stopping machines easily scriptable. Starting machines in a headless mode keeps Parallels from disturbing my workflow.

What do you dislike?

The defaults for creating a new Windows machine usually leave me mildly annoyed. It doesn't fit my use case to have Modality and Coherence enabled. That said, they're easy to disable and only really an issue if you only intend to install the VM once.

Parallels updates. Like... a lot. This is usually a good thing. This is a fast-innovating company that's interested in being on top but the frequency of major releases often leaves you in the dust. While they generally offer upgrade pricing, if one's company isn't footing the bill, the price for the software grow as the versions pass.

Most recently, I tried to use Docker Machine to automate some deployment practices but had to install Virtualbox instead because the docker-machine driver for parallels only worked on the latest version of Parallels. I pay for Parallels out of my own pocket when using it for personal use feeling left behind so frequently can get frustrating.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get to know the CLI. It's very powerful

Building web applications requires a lot of testing. Multiple OSes, multiple browsers. Parallels makes it easy for power users to automate and utilize its feature in a was that developers will find efficient. At the same time, Parallels is simple enough for a novice to start up and start getting their hands dirty. The novice will also be unaware of the power user's features unless they dig for them; this is a good thing. Great design. It's a similar stance the OS X team takes. "If a normal user finds Terminal.app, we've failed; if a power-user can't find Terminal.app, we've failed"

ServiceWorks Automation Consultant

"Parallels is a Developer's Best Friend"

What do you like best?

I love the fact that Parallels lets me use all the goodness that is my Mac, while developing for various platforms - without having to mess around with having a dozen physicals or VM's on remote sites (e.g. Azure, Amazon).

Once of the nicest features of Parallels is the Coherence mode - which lets me have - say a Visual Studio IDE, or another IDE instance running withing my Mac - with full copy/paste ability. I can use tools that I need to running on Windows or Linux - without having the pain of rebooting or feeling like I'm going from one user experience to another - everything is seamless - and that's the beauty of Parallels - it lets me forget about it and focus on what is important - my work.

Another key feature is that Parallels supports vagrant out of the box and without having to pay an extra fee (as is the case with VMWare Fusion or Workstation if you want to use it with Vagrant - you need the VMWare plugin - which costs). The Parallels Vagrant plugin started life as an open source project, and remains that way - though under the direct custodianship of Parallels themselves.

Vagrant allows me to tear up VMs on demand for when I'm working on applications that require me to do that, it also allows me to prep-up my Docker containers ready for deployment remotely.

There is a lot more I could write about Parallels - and I've been an avid user since I moved from Windows to Mac over 5 years ago now - it let my transition be smooth and pain-free, and it has been a regular feature in my Applications folder, politely letting me forget about it, while allowing me to utilize all of its amazing goodness - letting me get the most from my Mac.

What do you dislike?

Whats do dislike - nothing as far as I can see, apart from perhaps as one of my colleagues had said - why isn't there a Windows or Linux version of Parallels - why is it only a Mac product? I couldn't answer that - but since I used a Mac - arguably I didn't care. However - that would be a major plus, if Parallels Desktop could be ported to Windows and Linux - that way, the Linux users wouldn't have to use Virtualbox and the Windows users Hyper-V or VMWare.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're not sure about Parallels - then take advantage of the free trials on offer, I'm sure that once you've started using it - you will not begrudge paying the subscription and becoming a true licensed user.

The beauty of Parallels is that once its installed and configured, you can totally forget about it. In my opinion, when a piece of software can be forgotten about while providing the services it providers - that's when it has moved to perfection.

Don't take my word for it, don't believe the marketing hype, TRY it - take advantage of the free trial.

A key business problem would be when users don't want to use Windows machines - for many reasons. This allows the work to proceed, within Windows - while the user can continue to use their Macs.

For a development house - this helps massively as it allows developers to continue building Mac and iOS apps on their macs - while having the ability to do the same - via Parallels - for Windows Phone (Windows), Android (Linux)*

*I'm aware that Android apps can be developed directly on a Mac, but some people choose to not do things that way - Parallels allows us to have that flexibility.

Another issue that was resolved was the ability to use Parallels with Vagrant to prep provisioning scripts ensure they are perfect, before pushing them out to Amazon, Azure or another cloud provider.

Owner

"Great performance and features, though company is low brow"

What do you like best?

Parallels has a pretty Mac-like experience and is well designed, intuitive. It has excellent performance above its competitors, especially in the GPU department.

A command line interface is a plus, and it doesn't suffer from some of the issues that persist in other solutions.

Pre-packaged solutions are fantastic: One can quickly auto-install Chrome OS or test versions of IE.

What do you dislike?

Some defaults are annoying. I don't appreciate Parallels shoving Windows application shortcuts into my home dir or dock.

Historically, there were some issues with Parallels dispatcher agent.

More than anything, Parallels' developing company is... Ill mannered. Charging for infinite redownloads of the software is ridiculous, and they're a bit out of touch with the elegance quality developers desire.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Jump on it.

We use Parallels primarily for testing web sites in various browsers and for creating virtual machines for development environments via Vagrant and Packer.

Parallels has givens us ease of use and performance within both of these domains.

Senior Front End Developer & Subject Matter Expert (Terrorism)
Management Consulting
(10,001+ employees)

"Great for Mac"

What do you like best?

I enjoy being able to use Windows on my Mac. It allows me to work on projects that require Visual Studio without the need to use a VM on Azure.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I dislike is the amount of resources running Windows tends to use. I have a MacBook Pro Retina 15" w/16 GB of RAM and it runs high.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Solve issues with high CPU usage on MacBook Pros.

Mainly that I can work on code in Windows while still being able to use my Mac. Half of the team is on Mac and the other half is on Windows, but we all still need to work in the same environment.

Web Developer
Internet

"The best virtualization software for Mac OS X"

What do you like best?

Parallels is the best virtualization software for Mac users. It has a great interface, very easy to use and very user friendly. It has a great feature that is download the ISO for some operating systems, that's great for new users who don't know where to download the operating system.

What do you dislike?

The lack of drag and drop functionality for files is what I dislike the most. Also, sometimes and in some operating systems, it's hard to install Parallels Tools.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Download the trial version first so you can be sure that Parallels Desktop is the right product for you.

I'm using Parallels Desktop to test different operating systems and to use Windows applications only on my Mac.

Network Engineer
Government Administration

"A test environment, when you cannot afford a test environment"

What do you like best?

As a systems person I appreciate how quickly I can mock up a test environment. It's a test environment totally self contained on my mac. It works great for testing upgrades, major changes, and evaluating products.

It has also done a great job providing me a windows desktop. The integration, like shared home folders, has made it very simple to operate in a hybrid environment. I use a three year old, dual core macbook pro, and I have plenty of power to run a few guests OS's, though it will run through battery pretty quickly.

What do you dislike?

The way they force an upgrade, when the new mac OS version is released. Because of this I anticipate needing to upgrade at least once every couple of years.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a quality product that requires very little hassle. It doesn't have a lot of configurability, but can provide all the customary virtual settings, for example running networking in bridging mode, or sharing host IP. It's not free, but it's a quality product for a small price.

1. Continue using windows only applications, while owning a mac.

2. Deploy test VM's in an isolated environment, separate from our production VMWare infrastructure.