Website management platform for WordPress and Drupal

Pantheon Reviews

Ask Pantheon a Question
Showing 384 Pantheon reviews
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Pantheon

What Managed Hosting solution do you use?

Travis W.

"The best technological solutions for my company in a single Pantheon software."

What do you like best?

Personally, what I like the most about Pantheon software are its tools for easy configuration and administration of my company's website, Pantheon not only helped me build my company's website, it helped me build an online presence for dazzle my clients, generate income and improve the experiences of my users.

What do you dislike?

Until now there is nothing that disgusts me, all the problems of the website of my company have been solved thanks to the Pantheon software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My recommendation, Whether you have a new software product that you need to build, an existing product that needs to be adjusted, or technological ideas you want to explore, Pantheon Software can help you where needed.

Thanks to its extraordinary configuration capacity with the possibility of rapid development of specific solutions, the Pantheon software helps us in the ongoing maintenance and operations of our website, it provides assistance with new templates, content, development, hosting, updates and security.

Guy E.

"The Best Option for Drupal hosting, hands down"

What do you like best?

Pantheon's automation is the best. Pantheon's dashboards and the isolation between dev, test, and production environments let us stage changes for public, client review. Then, once the client approves the changes, it's only one click to deploy. It's also one-click for most Drupal core upgrades.

Pantheon is also high performance -- they somehow handle varnish caching automatically without getting in my way.

What do you dislike?

It's not immediately apparent how to handle site scalability. If we have larger sites, it's not clear if we can add more resources, more servers, etc. Sometimes we have server issues arise that require intervention from Pantheon support, and their support staff can take a few hours to respond.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try them out for free; launch a heavy installation profile like Open Atrium, and see how it performs. Have your team try out the deployment workflow and see if it's a natural fit for your process.

If you build sites for clients, sign-up to be a reseller so you can host more sites for free than the basic free level.

Pantheon's process fits right into our existing installation-profile-based continuous integration process. We build large, business-logic-heavy Drupal sites, and the the Pantheon hosting system is the first system we've used that fully supports our version-control-driven deployment process. Internally, we use a continuous integration server that uses Drupal Installation Profiles, Drush, GIT, and Aegir to build an entire site from scratch and then deploy it. Pantheon's GIT-based deployments fit perfectly with this approach.

The automatic backups also allow us to slide back to previous releases of sites, if things go badly.

Alexander R.

"Solid Hosting Experience for Busy Developers"

What do you like best?

Love the DevOps pipeline automation between WordPress clients. Saves me time, money and resources.

What do you dislike?

Cost can be more than needed if only a simple site solution is required (no custom development).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have WordPress/Drupal sites that require a lot of custom development than this is the platform for you, the ease of use for pushing changes up the pipeline from Dev to Testing to Production is magical and allows for solid development practices even with a live production environment.

Can be a bit overkill if you only need a simple, straightforward WordPress install and theme.

Managing several WordPress websites between different levels of development while letting Business users continue content creation on a production version has been the largest immediate benefit of utilizing the platform! Also the ability to spin up free development instances and only get charged when going live is one of the most amazing features to date. It puts other hosting companies to shame.

Santina C.

"Panthon is great for managing sites within your agency"

What do you like best?

I like that there are 3 environments for every site: Dev, Test, and Live. At first, the interstitial step (Test) may seem superfluous. Anyone who has worked with WordPress, however, understands that it's tricky to edit code while the client enters content. Pantheon makes the process a little less painful. It's also great that one can bill the client directly from the Pantheon portal. Less financial worry & fuss.

What do you dislike?

The system is locked down for (I assume) security reasons. I would prefer to have unfettered ssh access to my servers. This feels like a small inconvenience for how well the service works with client work.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use Pantheon for easy web hosting and release management.

Currently we are using Pantheon for web hosting, so we don't have a lot of need for other apps. I see, however, that Node.js is installed on the server. I am interested in learning what it can do.

John S.

"Solid Hosting Provider"

What do you like best?

Pantheon really excels at performance. I honestly don't know how they get WordPress sites to operate as fast as they do. It's incredible.

What do you dislike?

-You really don't need a dev environment in their cloud. More ideally, it would just be dev locally, staging/prod in the cloud.

-Very rigid. You have to play by their roles. SSO, cookies, 3rd party tools can be tough to get working in their environment.

-Would love to see more options other than WordPress and Drupal. Support for headless architectures is lacking as well.

-Curious to see how the experiments with CircleCI pay off - continuous integration would be a nice feature that is lacking currently.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do you homework if you have a very custom setup - it can be complicated to get legacy systems to play nice with Pantheon. I've had to bail on a couple of Pantheon installs because their cookie system is so rigid.

-Biggest win from pantheon is the developer experience. It's just so much easier to get going with their platform than anyone else.

-I love using Lando locally in conjunction with Pantheon. It makes moving the DB around so easy.

-Git based deployments that work out of the box is also a huge win.

Treighton M.

"Better workflow"

What do you like best?

Pantheon has a ton of great features, but the improvements to workflow like the multi dev environments is the one that I see the most benefit from. Between the multidev environments and the ease of controlling where you are at in the development process through the built-in dev test live environments and the ease of moving code and content between them, my team has made massive improvements to our workflow. Pantheons documentation, support, and developer tools are great too. Pantheon is truly dedicated to the WordPress community, they do weekly webinars, build developer tools to improve the lives of the developers using their platform, and are active members of the wordpress community.

Pantheon is also a great platform if you are looking to automate your deployment process, they provide plenty of how-to's, tutorials, and tools to get you going in this directions too.

All in all pantheon is hands down my favorite wordpress hosting provider, i cant see hosting a wordpress site anywhere else.

What do you dislike?

If i was forced to come up with a something that i was less happy with, it would probably have to be that multi site is not supported in their normal plans.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend using pantheon, the improvements that you will see to your workflow are worth any additional cost you may see.

We have solved a few problems with pantheon but mostly just having a more reliable host with a solid workflow.

Dylan J.

"Thoughtful and Professional WordPress Hosting "

What do you like best?

I really appreciate the tools for easy setup and management of a multi-environment website. Git integration puts a lot of power and control in my hands and also helps keep developers using a modern professional workflow for building sites, getting them approved, and deploying them safely and reliably.

What do you dislike?

It took our team a little while to get accustomed to the very specific workflows that are required to use the platform correctly/effectively.

The multi-dev abilities are powerful but the branch/name length maximum (11 characters) is limiting.

The lack of a GUI (vs CLI only) for setting your site url and display name. And inability to rename either of them once it has been created.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a try. Lean into the multi-environment workflow and Git deployment.

Restricted workflow creates a better experience for the team and the client. Moving many sites to the platform increases team efficiency and confidence in deployment and quality of the hosting. CDN and HTTPS implementation has practically no configuration necessary.

Christa S.

"Smart Solution for WordPress Hosting"

What do you like best?

My favorite two things about Pantheon are the three environments (dev, test and live) to allow a flexible workflow based on client and the integration with git changes. Sales team we worked with was very nice and helped us come up with a good solution for our company. I also felt like they really listened to what we needed versus just telling us what they thought we needed.

What do you dislike?

That the process of going live doesn't include a change to the database automatically to switch out the live-domain.pantheon.io URLs to the new domain.com URLs. We have had some issues with the database just continuing to have the Pantheon reference in there for half the URLs because we forget to do a database find and replace.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When comparing this vs. other systems, Pantheon gives much better flexibility having three environments versus two. I also like that pushing from one environment to another needs to happen in Pantheon vs. in WordPress so that people who are admins don't necessarily have the ability to push changes live.

Changes tracking, dev and live environment, good way of pulling in new WordPress versions as they become available, good up-time, friendly service. It gives us a good way to keep track of all our WordPress sites and make sure they are being managed well.

Leo H.

"Best solution for any size project"

What do you like best?

At first glance and activation, pantheon was a rather intimidating platform; It seemed to offer way more than you likely needed to do. However after spending more than a month, managing various client websites, as well as my own companies properties. Major points for easy deployments!

What do you dislike?

I feel like some of the interface has fragmented design aspects, where finding certain configuration settings seems to be rather difficult depending on what page you're on.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

So the great thing with pantheon is that it lacks a project size bias. Whether you have a small personal project, or you're managing several client domains, Pantheon has a really clean way of organizing this for you. In addition to Pantheons management dashboard, the depth of the settings you can customize your workflow to meet is seemingly endless. Some projects i worked on had specific needs in order to run. Heck, I even spun up a development branch to our marketing site for testing before deployment. It's hard to pass up a service that does virtually everything you may need it to do, but should your needs require any of the above, i believe pantheon is that right choice for you.

The first and largest problem pantheon solves is domain/host management, and deployments. Prior to pantheon, deployments were a very fragile process, and the platform that was being used had terrible source control. Pantheon definitely made project managing a lot easier.

Michael G.

"A Great Specialized Hosting Platform"

What do you like best?

The biggest selling point for Pantheon are the tools they offer us. As a development agency, we have built-in workflows through Pantheon that I don't know if we could live without at this point. We have taken full advantage of the multi-dev and terminus features especially.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike. It seems like the dashboard has a bit more slowness and issues than we would like, but it is usually resolved somewhat quickly. If there are git/workflow issues they will always happen when we are deploying something.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

One of the easiest hosts to get started on if you are using WordPress or Drupal. The workflows they provide are best in the industry and the tools will help you are your developers be much more productive. We've been using them for years and can attest to this.

We have been able to use Pantheon as our preferred platform for all of our Drupal projects. We have built our own local environments to match the architecture that Pantheon uses, because it is just a great way to do things. We have been able to manage clients with a dozen sites with the custom upstream and I don't think we would have been able to do anything remotely similar on any other host.

Michael W.

"Great service"

What do you like best?

I love how you don't have to pay for development. I typically have clients that sit in testing for some time for content. I love the three different type of environments, we can redevelop a site without it affecting the live status of the site. This is really great for some of our big clients with a lot of traffic. Additionally, If I have a question about wordpress or drupal, I can contact them and they are happy to give me guidance.

What do you dislike?

I wish that other programs can be installed besides Wordpress and Drupal. I have other clients that use other CMS like Joomla. It would be nice to just use them for hosting for all of my clients. Is there a plan like this in the future?

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Pantheon is 100% there for you, they have all type of support. Their webinar are awesome. Every hosting company I have been with never did any.

I have realized development is easy with my clients. It's a easy click install and some customers just stay with Pantheon which is nice. I love how you can invite the client to pay instead of me paying for them.

Andrew J.

"Web Developer"

What do you like best?

I love how I can maintain three default environments so easily via control panel. Database, files and content can flow easily between them without manual export/import. I also love how easy it is to spin up a local environment with tools like Lando and Docker.

What do you dislike?

One of my only real concerns about Pantheon is its lack of post-deploy builds. So in other words, my frontend workflow includes compiling javascript and sass, which is normally not something you'd commit to the repo. But since Pantheon has no support for post-deploy processes, lots of compiled code has to be committed over and over.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need a solid, all-in-one hosting and workflow for Wordpress and Drupal, I highly recommend Pantheon.

As a freelance developer making Wordpress sites, Pantheon saves me so much time in my workflow. Pushing code and content through different environments is super easy and way nicer than doing endless exports and imports by hand. I also love that I can so easily spin up local environments with tools like Lando.

Michael R.

"Great Environment for WordPress Implementation"

What do you like best?

I love that you can create a live testing environment easily. It also had seamless push -live integration once you've made changes to your testing environment. That control feature makes the biggest difference when you're trying to add new functions and/or plugins

What do you dislike?

Pantheon site caches VERY frequently. Caching to speed up load times is great. But when you're trying to make front-end changes and can't figure out why those changes aren't showing up, having to go back into pantheon dashboard to clear it every 15 min can become bothersome. I also had a weird experience in a theme where clearing site cache would drop custom css additions for a 5-10 min window before adding them back into the site. Not efficient in time crunch, time sensitive editing.

One benefit is pantheon also creates backups. So if you make a change, and realize you don't want to do that change afterall, you can revert back to a previously saved backup.

My biggest benefit is creating the testing/demo site so a client can view development before ever pushing live to a specific domain.

Rob W.

"Pantheon is the best hosting money can buy, but not trivial for the novice user."

What do you like best?

Performance, security, and bigger bang for the development dollar because I don't have to mess around with lots of hosting particulars and moving parts.

Three environments (dev, test, and live) make development operations a breeze.

What do you dislike?

Not that this is easy, but I wish there were a better way to ensure that database-level content could be versioned. I'm aware of recommended workarounds but something that more naturally fits the workflow would be awesome.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure you read as much of the documentation as you can. You don't actually need to do this because the user interface is very intuitive. However, by reading the documentation you'll be able to understand the "hidden" advantages that make Pantheon even better.

I'm solving problems for small businesses. In one case, I had just told a client that their site was liable to be compromised with their cut-rate, non-Pantheon host. The client said there was no reason to think so because they had been safe with that host for years. Within a month, the client's site went down because it was broken into by a hacker. We moved them to Pantheon immediately and the site has not had any problems since then.

Joshua H.

"Solid Hosting Solution for WordPress or Drupal"

What do you like best?

Pantheon has a friendly support staff, who is consistently able to answer my questions any time I reach out to them. Their easy export of database and image assets makes taking a site live or pulling it down locally super easy. Additionally it helps our team follow a "best practice" process of pushing to dev-to-test-to-live. One feature I use frequently is easily switching from SFTP to GIT mode on the fly. The ability to add files to the dev environment directly through the site, but maintain a commit log means I always know what happened, regardless of how an update was made. I also really enjoy the workflow and ease of setting up domains/https on the sites, the guide for setting up my dns to point to a new site is easy to follow and intuitve. Additionally having caching options and service tiers makes it easy to get the "right" fit for clients of different sizes, regardless of the complexity of their site. Overall, I prefer using Pantheon to other "self managed" hosting options because they do the heavy lifting and thinking for you. They also offer great webinars and thought-leadership on topics like e-commerce, scalability, and how to manage large client projects that help you grow your business.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes feels restrictive in terms of "following the Pantheon way", but the stability and consistency is what makes the platform so stable

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're tired of trying to "figure it out yourself" for WordPres

More uptime, better dev workflow

Mladen .

"Pantheon is fantastic service for both learning, showcasing or serious big or small development."

What do you like best?

— Ability to have free projects.

— command line tools

— fantastic environment to work in

— streamlined web ui

— almost everything I need as a developer

What do you dislike?

I remember there were Drupal distributions represented, now they don't seem to be there, like Commerce Kickstart?

Also, I think there should be some basic templates to help people start with both Drupal and/or WordPress.

There could be option for other CMS/plain PHP/node based projects but with same environment and tools?

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I found Pantheon more complete and stable than other Drupal solutions. As an old professional, I prefer using command line tools whenever I can and for whatever I need and that is where Pantheon fits perfectly.

Pantheon service is fast, reliable and I never had a doubt or a problem I needed explanation.

I'm with Pantheon since their beginning and although I tried other solutions as well, I still find Pantheon to be superior to others.

I mostly teach students to code but also work on projects. I use Pantheon to help students learn serious development practice like local/stage development and collaboration.

i use Pantheon to develop and stage projects that I work on for my clients, both as end users or other agencies where I am subcontractor.

I also recommend using Pantheon as a tool for development and collaboration when I'm hired as consultant for third parties.

The most important benefits for me are completeness of the platform, its stability and the way they improve it over time.

Jeremy H.

"One of the Best Platforms for Drupal Development with a Team"

What do you like best?

The ability to use git in a dev, test and live environment makes developing a Drupal site for a client quicker when developing custom modules and themes. Having the ability to use multidev for staging features with each team member saves so much time in setting up environments and performing tests. Combined with using lando to replicate the pantheon environment locally gives our team the resources needed to get projects done efficiently.

What do you dislike?

There are some issues with getting a Drupal site setup the first time. You need to keep the system in sftp mode until you get the site installed then move over to git to make sure the installer can create the settings file. However this is documented but a pain until you find it. Also renaming sites in the dashboard is not supported. So you have to create a new site, migrate the data and code and remove the old site. So make sure you get the internal name the way you like it first.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You get a bunch of sandbox sites to test out ideas and make sure the site you have can work on pantheon before upgrading.

Managing your own internal dev, test and live servers on AWS or another cloud provider is not trivial. Pantheon makes this process straight forward and gives us the flexibility and transparency our clients need. It has sped up our Drupal development. While there are other Drupal specific hosting providers out there pantheon should be at the top of the list.

Ryan B.

"High Cost, Solid Service, and Great Workflows"

What do you like best?

The insistence that you follow a dev > stage > prod workflow makes Pantheon a really amazing option for agencies that do client handoff. A lot of client problems with infrastructure get solved by just building on Pantheon and encouraging the client to stay there.

What do you dislike?

The cost is pretty high for non-enterprise users. If you're a solo dev who wants to host your portfolio site, you're probably going to be priced out.

Similarly, the lack of good external CI/CD integration eventually gets aggravating. It would be really nice to be able to trigger composer/NPM tasks on git hooks. As it stands, you have to do everything the "Pantheon" way. If the client eventually wants to take their site to another hosting provider after dev completion there are some unresolved devops questions that will need to be answered.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Pantheon can be really helpful and simplify your devops pipeline, but beware platform lock in. If you ever move your site to another hosting provider you will certainly have some work to do. That said, Pantheon's internal tools are very well made. Hopefully soon composer workflows will be use by default. Until then, make sure to read up on best practices for composer-based projects.

Devops as a service! When we use Pantheon for everything we really don't have to do much devops at all, and the clients have a solid devops foundation to run on if they take control of a project.

Wolf B.

"Easily one of the top WordPress hosts on the planet"

What do you like best?

The Pantheon Workflow is easily the best feature. I can start building a clients site with no charge. Once I have it ready, and the client approves it, I can easily launch the site either to my account, or the customers. I love this! And the ability to test changes without fear of breaking the live site is amazing.

What do you dislike?

The price is a bit more than I would like, but at the same time, it is fair for what you get.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you work with clients, you need pantheon. Stop paying for hosting sites while in development. Stage them free and when you are ready for a site to go live, switch it to a paid plan to get the best features and support!

I used to be forced to set up complicated server platforms in order to get a true test of a site. But with Pantheons workflow, I can test a site in an identical environment to the live environment. So I know for a fact the site will not break once I push it live.

Elizabeth D.

"Best practices are built-in"

What do you like best?

Pantheon offers best practices, built in to their infrastructure. It is thus easy to help other developers get up to speed using git, 3-stage deployment, https with a custom CDN, etc.

What do you dislike?

File updates are a bit slower than I would like. I was able to work around that by caching md5 hashes so they didn't have to be recalculated each time files were compared.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are already set up using git, automated tools for code deployment, and site and server management, then you might not need pantheon. But if you don't have all that, or some of your developers need to be brought up to speed, try pantheon - it is a joy to use.

We were able to move to a single bitbucket-hosted codebase without requiring drupal multisite architecture. We've got a site template that lets us spin up a site with a click, and then start creating content right away. Code updates and changes are a breeze. We use drush and terminus to script operations against 100 sites at one time. Runs very smoothly.

Mitty C.

"Speed, Backups, and Reliability - We love Pantheon"

What do you like best?

We love the lightning fast speeds of its built-in optimization for Wordpress-based websites, the uptime reliability, the automatic daily backups, the automatic core updates to Wordpress, and the multiple development environments. Pantheon gives us the peace of mind we need so that we can focus on web development and digital marketing projects, and never have to worry about websites going down. The multiple development environments also make it incredibly easy for our team to work on new versions of websites all in one place without disrupting the live traffic.

What do you dislike?

We just wish there was more of a discount for bulk accounts, so we could get more of our accounts onto Pantheon!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend more bulk account discounts. Pantheon still is a huge cost difference versus purchasing a dedicated server or a VPS option. I would love to see a Pantheon semi-dedicated server option or 20+ account option that makes it affordable per account. Our agency also provides pro bono hosting for non-profits and does this at a ratio about 1 pro bono hosted account for every 6 paid accounts we have. At the moment for us, it's difficult to move off of our dedicated server because adding our pro bono accounts to Pantheon is so costly.

Having been in the web development business for over 10 years, I have worked with dozens of different web hosting companies. There are so many hosting companies that it's easy to get lost in the mix, and to choose the cheapest provider. We've done that before and have had some horror stories. Pantheon is our host of choice because when you have a website, you need it to be up 100% of the time, 24/7, 365 days a year; we're happy to say that our Pantheon based sites have never gone down! With Wordpress-based sites, there are often security vulnerabilities -- we love how Pantheon provides some built-in security through the automatic core updates, but more importantly the daily automated backups that happen, allowing you to roll back to a clean version whenever you need to.

Learn more about Pantheon

Pantheon Videos

Learning about Pantheon?

* We monitor all Pantheon reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.