Panopto

All-in-one video capture and management software. Record presentations & lectures, webcast events, and build an organizational YouTube - all from your laptop.

Work for Panopto?

Learning about Panopto?

Panopto Reviews

Ask Panopto a Question
Panopto review by Jonathan D.
Jonathan D.

"Impressed with their product and their leadership. Great company to work with."

What do you like best?

They provide excellent support and truly believe in their product. I love its detailed analytics, video management, easy to use recorder, and the ability to schedule recordings and even live broadcast. I also love the integration it has with 3rd party companies to caption video content.

What do you dislike?

I dislike it's captioning editor. It does allow you to import automated captions and fix them but that's the only way it can be effectively used. Writing captions from scratch in their editor is near impossible. We take the podcast video link and bring the video into amara.org. From there we download the .srt file and upload it back into Panopto.

Recommendations to others considering the product

What was really important to me was managing the content. We wanted instructors to be able to create content and easily put that content into our LMS. Then we wanted to share that course with adjunct instructors with ease. We then also wanted to have work studies caption all of this content. Panopto's video management allowed us to do all of this.

Recording live lectures of classes for students to review and study with or if they were unable to attend in person. We also record instructional content and make it available in courses. Students create videos to submit for homework. We live broadcast events to our internal staff.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Panopto
Showing 63 Panopto reviews
Panopto review by Elora M.
Elora M.

"Great tool for improving teaching and learning "

What do you like best?

- Easy to use and intuitive to find your way around

- Software based to its available for staff to use on many devices and students to access content online

- Flexible to suit the needs of users so that can be recording large lectures or multiple short student uploads

What do you dislike?

Captions are always a problem for us we would like to caption all our videos and currently the automatic captioning is not very good. You can send away for captions but there is a high cost if we want lots of content captioned. We would like integration with our VLE gradebook to allow seamless submission and grading for students.

Panopto is great for one to many delivery for lectures as well as short video introductions, assignment briefs and other information for students. It is less appropriate as a conferencing tool which many of our staff are looking for so that students can interact live with the presenter. Students can ask questions but it is hard to manage this if you are live streaming and presenting information. Panopto is available to use by the whole organisation and there are more and more staff who are taking up the opportunity to use it for recording lectures and short videos for students. We often have quite dispersed student groups over different campuses and out most watched videos are often of assignment information and difficult teaching concepts that they need to come back to for clarity.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Panopto
Panopto review by Charlie K.
Charlie K.

"The Faculty love it - Student use it - that is very IMPORTANT ! "

What do you like best?

Panopto Allows faculty to record from and easily combine different video and audio sources. Rendering, editing is simple and storage is plentiful. Panopto being a cloud service uptime is important and when they do have maintenance windows they give advance notice and communicate effectively.

What do you dislike?

We have been Panopto customers for over 5 years and in that time there have been very few issues. There is not much I dislike about it at all.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is an area of tech that can get really complex. For us techies that is fine but remember who the daily users are. The Panopto product is easy to use for both the teachers and the students.. does not require any special configurations or set ups. It also has many flexible features to edit and fine tune the resulting recordings.

We use panopto for two main purposes. One, as a lecture recording platform that is used for asynchronous online programs. Second to Webcast and record workshops to include remote audiences in live, synchronous sessions with some local participants and multiple remotes users joining in.

What Video CMS solution do you use?

Administrator in Higher Education

"Works well and multi-purpose"

What do you like best?

I personally use Panopto for creating screen captures in video, such as to demonstrate an issue or behavior for a vendor or quick tutorial for a client.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn’t say I dislike anything about Panopto. There are a couple quirks that are annoying. As an example, from support perspective, permissions for non-administrator roles occasionally change during updates and suddenly our users can’t do something they used to be able to do. This is not unique to Panopto though. Also, I don’t really need a microphone or webcam to make my screen capture videos so I don’t have them hooked up. Because of this, the Panopto recorder app always throws up a warning about 30 seconds into my recording and I have to select “ignore” to make it go away and allow me to proceed. Then I have to edit the recording to cut that part out of my screen capture. There should be a way to configure the app to avoid that message but I haven’t found it.

Panopto allows our faculty to record lectures in class so students can review later or catch up if absent from lecture. It also allows online instructors to record lectures or messages for students to watch asynchronously from home and still get “face time” with their instructor. It can be used to create training courses for employees. Record meetings. Existing video files can be uploaded to Panopto and then embedded into our secured LMS to ensure restricted access. Right now we are in the process of offloading and retiring our Flash media server, so we’re assisting FMS content owners with migration to Panopto as a replacement.

Panopto review by Delores A.
Delores A.

"Excellent Tool for Instructor-Created Videos"

What do you like best?

The thing I love about Panopto is the quizzing feature, which allows you to insert quiz questions throughout a lecture. I have a lot of faculty members who use this feature to check students' comprehension along the way as they are watching videos. Also, I love all of the data that you are able to collect via Panopto. We have always struggled to determine how engaged our students are in video content, and the data that Panopto provides allows us to see when students tend to drop off in videos.

What do you dislike?

The main issue I have with Panopto is managing the permissions for user-created videos. When we create these at my job, our plan is to use them from term to term; however, this presents a sharing problem, as each semester (and in each section) we have to manually go in and adjust the permissions so new students can view them. Perhaps this is an issue due to the integration with Canvas, but I imagine that there are a lot of other users out there using it that way, and this is a troublesome issue that results in lots of lost time.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Panopto has some really great features that can make your educational video content truly engaging. You can embed PDFs, websites, and even Youtube videos in your recordings.

We used to spend a lot of time and money bringing instructors into our studio space, but the costs associated with that, and the time investment, just became too much. With Panopto, our instructors can create videos in the comfort of their own homes, and they don't have to waste valuable time traveling to our studio. Also, many instructors were a bit camera shy when they were actually in the studio, and this resulted in a lot of takes. With Panopto, it's easy to edit out mistakes, and instructors seem to feel a lot more comfortable recording.

Panopto review by Ethan J.
Ethan J.

"Great user experience and support!"

What do you like best?

the Customer Support is amazing. They attend to every detail and always make sure a positive resolution results from any contact with them. I mention it just because excellent customer support doesn't seem to be the norm these days, and Panopto is the best.

The functionality is probably the most obvious advantage that this software has over others; they continuously integrate their customer feedback into their updates. I have seen other similar software offerings "rest on their laurels" once they gained some momentum, but Panopto is always working to stay on the leading edge while offering an incredibly stable platform.!

What do you dislike?

everything is great, the only thing i would add is a couple of features in the editor.!

Recommendations to others considering the product

it enables to create and upload any type of content, post comments for videos, record sessions with multiple simultaneous cameras, multiple video sharing levels, access controls, etc.!

I highly recommend it!

Creating a video with the Panopto software is straight forward, we also have the option to upload a video file to the service. Watching a video is even easier, because all that is needed is an up-to-date web browser. No extra plugins or downloads are needed.!

Panopto review by Frank J. F.
Frank J. F.

"Panopto is a visionary company that serves its customers exceptionally well."

What do you like best?

What I like best is their corporate culture. I have been using their product since 2009 and have never heard any of their employees describe the company as anything less than supportive. The environment they have created allows their employees to be productive and creative, which has served them well over the years as their product continues to improve and consistently offer new features. They actively solicit input from (and then listen to) their customers. I am impressed by the level of customer service they provide. Every time I have contacted them to ask about a potential future feature, they have been very engaged in asking about my needs and how they could best serve them. They seem to understand that their customers can help them identify needs, and if they provide solutions, they will build loyalty. Their response time is also commendable; I have never waited to get a communication from them about a problem I was having (even if it was due to user error). They also continue to expand their database of Panopto-based tutorials and answers to FAQ, which allows customers to find exactly what they need.

What do you dislike?

Nothing has struck me yet to dislike, although if I had to point to something that is challenging, it might be that some of their less-well-known features (such as captioning) are not intuitive to set up. I don't have a need for it now, but it could become an issue in the future. If it is, I have no doubt they would provide me with the resources (tutorials, examples, and communications with technical staff) to address my needs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

They have use cases highlighted on their website, but speaking with their customer service personnel could provide you with even more useful information specifically addressing your needs. I use their services in HIgher Education but as a former technology trainer, I can tell you that there are many more applications that make sense for this product. Providing legacy recordings and linking or associating them with each other to provide a network of resources smoothly is no easy task, yet Panopto seems to thrive on the challenge of doing just that. At their recent (and first) North American User Conference in Chicago, they provided a venue for real-time multiple customer input and critique of their product. Based on the responses they gave to every question conceivable, it is apparent that they want to service their customers, not push them into a direction the company has previously established as their goal. They are extremely accommodating, and are not hard-sell like some companies. I would recommend that anyone who is interested in their services should contact them for a Free Trial.

They provide a platform for communicating between parties: faculty, students, and guest presenters. Their product allows seamless integration of video, PowerPoint, captioning and additional resources. My students are creating as well as consuming content using Panopto. As we build a library of previously recorded informative sessions, students can pick up where previous cohorts left off and take their thinking to a new level - addressing problems that were beyond the reach of students a few years ago. I have noticed that the quality of the discourse has increased and the level of engagement extends far beyond what is required or even suggested. Students benefit from being active participants in their own learning, and they are better prepared for more advanced classes, which benefits everyone. When they leave our program they are ready to hit the ground running since they have had more opportunities to take in a variety of perspectives from others, as well as review standardized content as often as they feel it is beneficial. I also use it to record instructional videos and demonstrations, and their mobile app makes it easy to use anywhere, even in the field. It is extremely flexible and reliable.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Reliable, Easy to Use Lecture Capture System"

What do you like best?

Panopto has been reliable for our institution and they continue to add new features. The addition of automatic captions for our videos has increased accessibility of our video content. Sharing and creating videos is very easy. We also really enjoy that we can create videos using Zoom or other video creation and upload the media easily. Table of contents to create jump points in the video is nice as well.

What do you dislike?

The integration process with our LMS is a little bit wonky. Some of our role types cause the system to time out. However, it works just fine for students and instructors. It is just difficult for other role types to use it. The Panopto recorder software could use a performance and visual boost.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider upgrading your support package to get more end-user support.

We use it for lecture capture for our online courses. Having the videos hosted in our Panopto cloud has been a big advantage over having instructors throw videos on YouTube. This is more secure and gives us the ability to have a consistent content experience for the students and instructors.

Panopto review by Angelic T.
Angelic T.

"Great video creation and storage platform with fantastic Analytics tools!"

What do you like best?

The interface in Panopto is easy to use for both Mac and Windows users. You can easily download the quick record application and record offline. They also have a great editing tool that they seem to be constantly enhancing. Their support site has a lot of video content to train users on simple video recordings as well as more intricate editing features. You can also record multiple screens and add quizzes and reference links. I can't say enough great things about Panopto

What do you dislike?

The editing interface needs a bit more development but it is on it's way.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When researching a video content hosting platform, our team reviewed many vendors in multiple sectors. We found Panopto to best suit our needs for both internal and external video content management. We love this platform and they give you a great trial period and fantastic support!

We are able to easily create customized training sessions for our clients and securely provide access to folders or videos that only relate to their license. We are also able to create on boarding and internal training and use this to coach our own users.

Panopto review by John B.
John B.

"Would Choose Panopto Again"

What do you like best?

The support has been very good. Not only when there has been an issue but also when trying to find answers and just cannot find the correct article, they have been excellent at pointing me in the right direction.

What do you dislike?

I am normally in Chrom throughout the day, so when I need to use the Advanced Editor, I have to change over to IE. It is not a real problem, just an inconvenience.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Take Panopto's recommendations for hardware; don’t try to put an entire package together from scratch, their recommendations will save you time and money. They know what works well together. Take their advice, and use it to your advantage.

Panopto has allowed distance education students, whom in the past would have only received PowerPoints as their lecture, to receive either by synchronous or asynchronous methods, the same lecture from the same instructor as the live class. Fully online classes now have lecture materials in addition to the non-lecture materials that they have had in the past. Students that miss a class, can still have the lecture materials that they would have received if they had of been sitting in class that day.

Panopto review by Jonathan D.
Jonathan D.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Panopto review by Malcolm E.
Malcolm E.

"Impressive service and company"

What do you like best?

Panopto has allowed us to make lecture capture and flipped classroom teaching possible campus wide with minimal effort in training and management of end users.

We have been able to make recording automatic and seamless for instructors in large auditoriums, cutting down on time and equipment overhead our previous solution caused.

What do you dislike?

Advanced editing tools still require Silverlight to use, and as such cannot be acessed simply in favored browsers (Firefox and Chrome).

Recommendations to others considering the product

I cannot recommend it highly enough. Support is fantastic, feature set is rich, and end users become fluent in usage very quickly.

Panopto has provided a solution to the hurdle that was scalability in lecture capture. As we move more and more into hybrid and fully remote classroom settings, the ability to have content available easily and reliably has been a key concern, and Panopto has been an amazing solution from the start.

Panopto review by Sherri T.
Sherri T.

"An essential tool for online university lectures!"

What do you like best?

I've been teaching online at the university level since 2011. In the past, I had upload narrated PowerPoints to a different online platform to be embedded in my D2L classroom. I had nothing but problems with this approach; the audio never came through in the final versions. Ponopto has completely solved this problem for me. Narrating PowerPoints and embedding them in my classes has never been easier! I just launch the app that I downloaded to my Macbook pro; I launch my PowerPoint, and I record. (I did have to look up instructions online, however. It wasn't obvious to me how to record a narrated PowerPoint. I just googled my questions, and I easily found the answers. I was up and running within minutes!) Once I'm somewhat happy with my narration, I upload the final version to the Panopto website; I grab the embed code, and I add it to my class. Easy!

What do you dislike?

I downloaded the Panopto application to my Macbook Pro for recording my PowerPoint lectures. One thing I dislike is that Panopto records the moment I press the record button, meaning that it records the couple seconds it takes me to go to PowerPoint and to start my slideshow. There is a way to edit these seconds out once the PowerPoint lecture is uploaded to the Panopto site, but it takes a little extra knowledge and time. Also, I haven't quite figured out if it's possible to record a split screen with me on one side and my PowerPoint on the other. I've never attended (and never have been offered, to my recollection) a Panopto training session or class. I think it would be helpful to go through some sort of training. Nevertheless, Panopto is easy enough to use that I've muddled through without instruction so far.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you implement Panopto, I think it would be worth offering training in the beginning and also as new team members joint the organization. I'm sure Panopto is capable of doing more than I know because I am teaching myself how to use the application through trial and error. It is a time consuming way to learn, but it is possible to get quite far with Panopto without training or support. It is a really easy platform to use, after all.

Panopto allows me to deliver the same lecture I would deliver in a face-to-face setting to students in an online environment. It allows me to to record lectures when it's convenient to me, and it allows my students to watch them when it's convenient for them. It makes non-synchronous learning possible, and it enhances online learning because it puts my voice, my knowledge, my experience, and my enthusiastic personality in the hands of distance learners.

Panopto review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Panopto: The Reason Why I Never, Ever Went to Class in Person"

What do you like best?

Panopto provides reliable, high-quality recordings of my med school lectures that allow me to get an in-class experience without actually having to be in class. You can also speed up or slow down the audiovisual feed without loss of quality.

What do you dislike?

You can only see one camera view on the big screen at the time; as far as I know there's no way to split the screen between the lecture projection and the video feed showing the professor/whiteboard.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't be afraid to use it! My grades have actually improved once I stopped attending lecture and started using Panopto instead.

Using Panopto allows me to be more efficient with my time since I can watch lectures at double speed in half the time it would have taken in person.

Panopto review by Matthew B.
Matthew B.

"Great product, exceeded all expectations"

What do you like best?

The ability to use multiple video feeds similtaniously and editing each feed on the video editor. The ease of use for the recording software and the integration with LMS such as Moodle allowing single sign on and permission settings.

What do you dislike?

Some video editing still uses Silverlight (believe to be phased out). Difficulty manually creating captions for videos.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Get a trial, all the features are easy to use and they provide great support.

CPD - The abiltiy to train all staff in various areas and only having to run the session once, allowing the staff to complete the training when they want rather than when the trainer is available.

Revision - Allowing learners to rewatch lessons/catchup on what they have missed again and again.

Panopto review by Simon T.
Simon T.

"Excellent user experience"

What do you like best?

Excellent user experience and support. Colleagues I introduce to the system are very pleased to discover how easy it is to create their own content with Panopto's personal capture tools. Panopto is integrated into our VLE, and used thoughout our institution. The learning resource it provides and enhancement to our student's experience is invaluable.

What do you dislike?

I haven't any any serious dislikes using the desktop software.

It's used for educational purposes and the ability to review and study material is the benefit.

Panopto review by Christina L.
Christina L.

"Excellent Recording Tool"

What do you like best?

It is simple to create recordings on the fly and have it immediately available to users. The editing tool is simple to use and makes quick work of paring down videos.

What do you dislike?

I wish the UI was a bit different for viewing videos on the Panopto site. It has improved, but still feels a bit clunky. Certainly not a deal breaker though.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you want to capture tribal knowledge, educational content for users or similar venture, Panopto is simple to use and can capture multiple video and screen inputs. The support team is beyond amazing and helpful! The fact that you can search just about anything said or written in the videos, is enough to make this product worth your time. The recorder is so simple to use that even my less tech savvy staff can create content with little to no effort.

My company utilizes Panopto to record internal and external training. We can take our classroom experience and transfer it to an online training environment with little effort. The best part of the software is that if we have a change to any content, we simply record the new piece and add it into the existing video. We save so much time where in the past we would have to hire a developer to help us edit training.

Panopto review by User in Higher Education

"Convenient for lecturers to prepare lecture videos -- if embedded to your learning management system"

What do you like best?

Panopto allows its users to combine powerpoint slides and video screening at once. After recording your video, you can upload it to the Panopto system easily, and then edit the video if you need to cut parts. For instructors at universities using learning management systems to organize their course materials such as Desire to Learn (D2L), Panopto allows the users to embed the videos quickly to the D2L platform, which is very convenient.

What do you dislike?

The editing section is not that easy to use. It is slow, and it does not allow you to combine two videos you recorded. You need to record everything in one video and start cutting that. It also does not allow you to add images or texts to your video. It is not possible to edit voice and video separately, either; although Panopto allows you to the voice recording only.

I am preparing lecture videos using Panopto for my online classes. I usually choose powerpoint screening and audio recording options, which allows me to read the printed text I have while recording the audio, and change powerpoint slides by hand while recording my audio.

Note: I recently figured Powerpoint can also be used for creating videos. Powerpoint takes time to learn how to combine videos, powerpoint slides, images and audio recordings but gives wider options. Therefore I usually prefer Panopto for videos I will publish for my online courses because it is way more convenient to use. But, if I am recording a video to advertise my class via my own webpage, then, to make it look "prettier", I switch to Powerpoint (technically because I did not invest my time on learning how to use Premiere Pro CC for professional video and film editing).

Administrator in Higher Education

"Helpful, but not for the technically challenged"

What do you like best?

Panopto allows us to reach employees who may not be based on our main campus. We primarily use Panopto to livestream and record guest speakers, important meetings, and divisional updates.

What do you dislike?

This is just part of the technology world - but we did have to invest in quite a bit of equipment to use Panopto in the way we needed to. We purchased a camera, tripod, mixer, speaker, and lots of cords to make everything work. However, it was an investment, and one that only needed to be purchased once. Panopto is also not easy to learn on your own, in my opinion. I do not describe myself as tech-savvy so we had our IT department come and teach us how to use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I don't use it in this way, but my institution uses it for classroom use as well. This works well for them.

Using Pantopo allows us to not leave anyone out! No more conference calls and coworkers not being able to see what everyone else is seeing!

Panopto review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Used panapto to re-watch lecture videos for class."

What do you like best?

I really appreciated the ability to watch videos at different speeds. I specifically enjoyed the 1.75X speed. I also enjoyed that you can search the entire video for a word that was verbally expressed (as well as textual.) I also liked the option to go forward 30sec or back 10sec.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more options when trying to resize the window for the video where most of the window consisted of the video. I also would have preferred to have an option to get rid of the slide preview that was shown at the bottom. I wish there was an option to go backwards 30sec on the non full screen screen.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great tool to easily go back and review lectures or meetings.

Ability to go back and review things that were discussed. Benefit is that you have something that everyone can go back to.

Panopto review by JT P.
JT P.

"Great features for education"

What do you like best?

Authentication options that are integrated with our university's LMS are important to our workflow for instructors to offer video lectures for distance learning. Also, the majority of students prefer the Panopto UI over other department's video hosting options. (Tegrity; Mediasite; etc)

What do you dislike?

Small learning curve for non-video people. It helps to have a one-on-one in person training session with the supplemental support documents Panaopto provides on their website.

At CMU, we record and view over 100,000 hours each year. It's important for our instructors and students that their course videos are secure, but also easily accessible for students who are enrolled in the class. The integration with our LMS (Canvas and/or Blackboard) play a vital role in that. Along with high video recording quality, the user interface is easy to understand for the viewer.

Panopto review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Amazing educational tool! "

What do you like best?

I love how user friendly it is to use Panopto! My favorite feature is the ability to speed up the video and the audio does not become distorted. It is also very helpful that is has a frame by frame scroll bar this also it to very easy forward ahead to the exact moment you need.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Panopto is the buffering time. By that I mean at time I want to jump to a different part of the video and it lags behind to catch up to that moment. This especially happens when I have a video set at a higher speed the respond time for my commands takes longer.

It has help with clarity! We used them as educational video and I love the ease I have to be able to reference back to them.

Panopto review by Joey M.
Joey M.

"We have been using Panopto since 2009, and the benfiets to the student have been trememdous. "

What do you like best?

One of the best parts of the product is the fact that Panopto is always looking to improve it products. it has added new video extensions all the time to make it compatible with different video platforms. is constantly looking to stay up with new technology.

What do you dislike?

the only thing I have a little bit of a problem with is the fact that can be only 2 POC per company. the helpdesk when called refers users back to me. this is our contracts may be different

Recommendations to others considering the product

lay out a clean, organized structure. Learn how the permissions work.

student grades improve when the instructors buy in and do recordings.

Panopto review by User in Biotechnology
User in Biotechnology

"great service, but could use some polishing "

What do you like best?

For the most part, it is easy to usu and provides a valuable service

What do you dislike?

online use can be glitchy and frustrating, particularly in viewing recorded content. This is frustrating since this is a core element of the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

most aspects of the software are easy and intuitive, but some performance issues are unfortunate. When viewing content on OSX it frequently will skip and get stuck in parts of the video.

Panopto allows us to record lectures and allow students to access them online

Panopto review by Gemma W.
Gemma W.

"Panopto is transforming teaching and learning "

What do you like best?

Being able to record, edit and share easily ... from anywhere and for everyone

What do you dislike?

The cost of captioning makes full accessibility prohibitively expensive - not a panopto issue, but an industry one

Helping to engage students in learning, widening participation by increasing flexible learning opportunities

Panopto review by Erika N.
Erika N.

"Easy editing "

What do you like best?

The process for editing is intuitive and quick, from splicing to big edits

What do you dislike?

The formatting of folder pages is not very attractive

Recording class lectures has been easy with panopto and editing these lectures for later use, very efficient

Panopto review by Sarah W.
Sarah W.

"Fantastic software for AMS (televised) classes - online coursework"

What do you like best?

Easy access to recorded classroom lectures and presentations makes review possible and catching up after an absence a cinch

What do you dislike?

It can sometimes be difficult to find a place in a long video- I wish the user could set personal bookmarks

At the university, we are able to make classes from other campuses available to our own and vice versa, greatly increasing the variety of courses students can take (and participants they can work with)

Panopto review by User

"Panopto works for Distance Education"

What do you like best?

Being able to view different sources in the recordings is a great selling point for our distance students. The added ability to bookmark and search the recordings is also beneficial for our students.

What do you dislike?

Being able to interact "live" during the lectures is a large component of our mission to our distance students. I think this should be something that should be explored.

Access to archived videos for students, both on campus and distance. Panopto provides a wonderful interface for storing archived videos.

Panopto review by Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Education Management
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Education Management

"I create technical software guides for our end users via Panopto. "

What do you like best?

I enjoy the accuracy the screen-capture capabilities. There is hardly ever any lag or fuzziness when I play back what I captured. I typically record my voice over the video separately, and I like that I'm able to do so intuitively with this program.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the audio editing feature and in that it can easily be improved. The trim feature leaves much to be desired, but I'm still able to work within those confines. It would be great if the program had a audio and video trim and editing feature similar to every other existing program; no need to attempt to improve something that works perfectly as is.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The more you use the software, the easier it gets.

It clears up my schedule because of instead of going to each office location, conducting a presentation, answering questions, I can simply send an email out to all relevant parties with a link for the Panopto presentation.

Panopto review by Michael M.
Michael M.

"Panopto Use"

What do you like best?

It is very simple to use. Recording lectures and having them available to students or anyone else is simple.Being able to record/stream at the same time is nice so a user doesn't have to wait to see the uploaded content, they can watch it live.

What do you dislike?

Course Provisioning, if you can remember to do that, you will have no issues.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Ease of use is the biggest sell for me. Editing video is also very nice and easy to do. Being able to see users stats on videos helps one know who is watching them and who is not.

Access to the material in panopto courses.

Panopto review by Administrator in Information Technology and Services

"Best VCMS for Video Learning"

What do you like best?

It is simple to learn and edit videos, record, share the video within your orginisation

What do you dislike?

Does not have the features likes animations, text embedding, transition effects like other editing tools have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a good Video content Management tool in the current market as the features and functionality it offer are great, but if you are looking for any Video editing tool, yes it can help you do editing at some level, but it is not a professional editing tool.

Video learning, Video SOP's

"User-focused Company"

What do you like best?

At a recent Panopto event, the CEO walked in and turned the session into a 2-way discussion with customers. He was dead serious about making Panopto what we wanted it to be.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice to see the development speed up a bit.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't interpret its lower price tag as being a lesser product. They offer everything the expensive options do, they just found a way to do it more cost effectively.

Lecture capture and distance learning.

Panopto review by Mike Y.
Mike Y.

"Panopto is our go-to for Lecture Capture."

What do you like best?

It is very simple to use and integrates seamlessly into our LMS (Blackboard).

What do you dislike?

When using the Panopto Remote Recorder software, the user being recorded has no easy way to view the camera video. In other words, once the recording begins, they can't easily adjust the webcam position.

We are allowing instructors to stream or archive their lectures - both at home and in the classroom.

Panopto review by User

"Panopto makes learning easier"

What do you like best?

I like how you can control the speed of the recorded lecture you're watching. It lets you customize how you learn by choosing the pace at which you learn and having the opportunity to go back to review important parts of lecture.

What do you dislike?

The sound is way too low and it can be difficult to hear the videos/

Recommendations to others considering the product

I definitely recommend using Panopto! It improves the quality learning and teaching and significantly improves access.

Panopto provides access to education for students anywhere. You can learn from the comfort of your own home.

Panopto review by Zack P.
Zack P.

"We love Panopto"

What do you like best?

Editing of videos, sharing and permissions, in-video search, mobile recording...there are dozens of incredible features that we love and take advantage of.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything about the product.

We use it for internal training as well, we sell training and have used Panopto-generated videos as final products in e-learning curriculum.

Panopto review by User

"It's only useful for specific things."

What do you like best?

It's nice for assigning movies for my students.

What do you dislike?

It's difficult to use unless you're posting a movie through the university library.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Consider whether you can more easily upload the video on D2L using an external file link if the video is freely available on a website, like youtube.

The software has allowed me to post movies on D2L for my students in online classroom settings.

Panopto review by wendy g.
wendy g.

"Panopto for presentations"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, quick to learn, great for sharing with others.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the interface seems too large.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This is a wonderful lecture capture solution.

The ability for faculty to record class lectures has proved beneficial.

Panopto review by User in Higher Education

"Very capable system to DIY course delivery"

What do you like best?

The ability to create my own video content for course instruction.

What do you dislike?

I can see where a faculty member who did not have the kind of support and facility provided by our Video Operations staff at the university would have difficulty. Panopto appears to be significantly knowledge intensive around video production. Most of us are not like that. That said, this is definitely moving in the direction needed for non-expert persons to create video instruction.

I am using Panopto for a form of course instruction "flipping"

Panopto review by Theresa G.
Theresa G.

"Basic Tool"

What do you like best?

Panopto was relatively easy to use once I had a brief introduction.

What do you dislike?

It seemed that there were not many different options to create a more visually appealing video.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would suggest having a basic outline of slides and a script you develop before using the software.

I utilized Panopto to provide online training sessions that were easily accessible to students whenever they wanted to utilize them.

Panopto review by User in Design
User in Design

"Video recording service that meets needs"

What do you like best?

can store lots of video footage without issue

What do you dislike?

It's difficult to find footage when you need it. I would love to have a feature that auto transcribes the footage for easier access.

It allows us to store lots of video and share it with colleagues

Panopto review by Katherine C.
Katherine C.

"No editing power"

What do you like best?

Perfect program for making a presentation and a video at the same time.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the way this records. If you make a mistake you have to start over. It's very difficult to export videos you've made. And you can't upload them unless someone else creates a folder for you.

We can make presentations for viewing at different times at the convenience of the viewer.

"Very user friendly!"

What do you like best?

I love how I can listen and look at the slides simultaneously!

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I currently dislike

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's so helpful and I can't believe a product like this exists!

That it's much easier for everyone to follow along with the presentation. It's easy to lose someone with just a recording, but the visual helps tremendously.

Panopto review by User in Hospital & Health Care

"Great for sharing lectures and speeches"

What do you like best?

Videos are easy to edit, store, and share with others.

What do you dislike?

It is easy to accidentally share videos to large groups, which may not be necessary for your task.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Check the group in which you're sharing to before submission.

This allows for student submissions of speeches, and sharing of lectures. The ease of sharing is great.

Panopto review by Internal Consultant in Marketing and Advertising
Internal Consultant in Marketing and Advertising

"Panopto is a versatile E-Learning tool. "

What do you like best?

The search feature allows you to search text on the screen or spoken word.

What do you dislike?

The webcasting tool is a bit limited, I would like to see them expand on these features. Especially with the rise of live streaming options on social media platforms.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The best tool available for capturing lecture recordings or other curated video content.

Internal training (one-way communication only), consumer facing training through lecture recordings.

Panopto review by User in Higher Education

"Panopto for Product Demo"

What do you like best?

I believe this product is extremely easy to use, I was able to create training videos with very little training.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is challenging to edit or do voice-overs. Perhaps I just need more training.

We have used this product to introduce a new system. We had to train over 1,500 users and once we realized that it was not feasible to do it in person, we turned to this product. Our employees really liked it, because they could do it on their time and at their own pace.

Administrator in Higher Education

"Not a very good video player"

What do you like best?

I like that it has a variety of features including the recording of videos for online teaching.

What do you dislike?

The video player reduces the original quality of the video by quite a bit. It also is not very user-friendly.

I upload videos for students in my school using Panopto.

Panopto review by Administrator in Mental Health Care
Administrator in Mental Health Care

"Simple Solution For Lecture Capture"

What do you like best?

Once Panopto is up and running, it works well and is fairly straightforward to show faculty and get them started

What do you dislike?

We have had some issues with their support in the past. We have found it to be a bit hit or miss.

We are able to quickly and easily capture lectures and deliver them to students via our LMS

Panopto review by Laura V.
Laura V.

"A learning experience"

What do you like best?

It was very easy to record a presentation for future use.

What do you dislike?

Difficult to figure out how to link the power point to the presentation

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch training videos to assist with using the product.

I developed a business plan related to a nutrition services clinic at my work.

Panopto review by Jacklyn D.
Jacklyn D.

"Panopto "

What do you like best?

I like that you can record multiple sessions and make them available as needed.

What do you dislike?

I do not like that when students look at available recording they are not in order of recording. They are dispersed randomly

N/a

"Panopto Medical School"

What do you like best?

Panopto allows for multiple screens as well as speeding up the playback.

What do you dislike?

When you go into fullscreen mode, there isn't a scroll bar to get through the video.

Very effective tool for uploading lecture content.

"Panopto Review"

What do you like best?

Stable and reliable screen casting software.

What do you dislike?

Not too much. It's been pretty reliable and easy to use.

I use this for screen casting and recording presentations for my teaching.

Learning about Panopto?

* We monitor all Panopto reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.