Oracle Analytics On-Premise (Essbase) Reviews & Product Details

What is Oracle Analytics On-Premise (Essbase)?

Oracle Essbase is the industry-leading multi-dimensional online analytical processing (OLAP) server, providing a rich environment for effectively developing custom analytic and enterprise performance management applications.

Oracle Analytics On-Premise (Essbase) Screenshots

Oracle Analytics On-Premise (Essbase) Profile Details

Oracle Analytics On-Premise (Essbase) Profile Details

NetSuite CRM offers a holistic view down to the smallest details of your customers. This level of visibility gives you the ability to make day-to-day decisions based on real-time data. The unified cloud suite has proven to be a robust system which delivers improved business efficiency and customer centricity. With a single source for CRM, inventory and order management data, your company can provide the kind of highly personalized customer experiences that are not possible with fragmented systems. The efficiency your organization will gain with NetSuite translates into cost savings and a real competitive advantage.

Oracle
Description
Oracle Corporation develops, manufactures, markets, hosts, and supports database and middleware software, applications software, and hardware systems.
1977

Oracle Analytics On-Premise (Essbase) Reviews

1-50 of 220 total Oracle Analytics On-Premise (Essbase) reviews
Hyperion Architect
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Robust analytic tool with lots of new features"

What do you like best?

We use Essbase, Planning, FDMEE and HFM in our company, and we really like the data analysis ease for reporting purposes. For planning and budgeting needs Hyperion has been our buddy for last 8 years now, and we absolutly love it. We recently got into FDMEE/ODI integration too whch really widened up the horizons for enhancements. Really like all applications UTILITIES and the ease to administer data and meradata. Setting up security is robust and very simple with advance features as well.

What do you dislike?

Eventual crashes of Hyperion Services like Essbase and Planning.

Performances issues for Planning and Hyperion Finanacial Management tool for on-prem.

New reporting RAA missing from 11.1.2.4.900 version causing installation and configuration problems.

EPM suit is a vital part of our financial model. Data is easily monitored and transactions between cubes is fabulous.

BI systems administrator
Oil & Energy

"Essbase pros outweigh the cons"

What do you like best?

Essbase uses a simple cube based hierarchy structure. This means that manipulating the data utilizes the user-friendly star schema and that integrating new users, new products and new cubes is very easy.

What do you dislike?

Because of the cube system, drilling into order line level detail is virtual impossible without expensive data warehouse storage. Even then, a line level order would not work in essbase reporting. Therefore you would still need an SSRS reporting system to get order level information in a reporting form.

We have used Essbase successfully to manage our commissions reporting. Since this is not line level detail, the confidentiality associated with commissions has become nonexistent. We can manage our reporting needs for commissions while keeping the actual detailed payments concealed. This allows multiple users to work on commissions and see commissions reporting by region that would not have had the security clearance otherwise.

IT Business Analyst

"Essbase & SV"

What do you like best?

I like the flexibility Essbase offers to users to design queries and reports. As an admin, I like the multitude of commands and functionality available to perform data loads and calculations.

What do you dislike?

We are experiencing issues with stability of Essbase service. This may be related that we are currently using an old version of SmartView (about 2 years old). Older SmartView works well for multi-grid submits, whereas one of the versions we tested did not support this functionality correctly (we had reported this to Oracle).

Consolidations of financial data, USD translation, intercompany eliminations, consolidationss, product line allocations, customized management and financial reports

"HFM user uses Essbase"

What do you like best?

I come from accounting background and HFM administration. I had to pick up Essbase administration when our expert left. Comparing the two, Essbase is much easier to build, change, even re-create is something goes wrong. We have been able to build cubes for special purposes and different hierarchies when doing it in HFM would be too difficult/time-consuming. I have also been amazed at what you can do in Smart View compared to pulling from HFM. I also love being able to have attributes.

What do you dislike?

Being so familiar with HFM and Smart View, working with Essbase, it's easier to create spreadsheets and modify, but it's harder in the initial transition because of the varying dimensions. I also question myself at times pulling data because I"m so used to being able to see a grid in HFM. I like seeing both.

Two big things that we have used Essbase to do where we couldn't in HFM is attributes and creating new cubes for specific needs/analysis. We needed additional analysis that we were able to do by adding attributes and develope FR reports for the business user who didn't need to create or even understand SV.

"Essbase Review"

What do you like best?

With Essbase, I enjoy using calculation scripts to generate calculated members within the hierarchy, as well as generating an ADI file for a reclass entry. I do enjoy the financial reporting capabilities and performance of essbase. Essbase is a useful application for calculations, reporting and data slicing.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, I dislike the performance of the essbase calculations. They take quite a while. Maybe there could be optimization of the calculation performance. Another issue I have with essbase is when reporting off calculated members sometimes there will be a need for the dependent member to be present in the report as well as the calculated member that you are reporting off of.

We are solving our calculations, allocations, and reporting. We use essbase to calculate members, report off of metadata. This helps automate our manual business processes that are usually done through excel. I have realized that there is traceability, and ease of use within the essbase cube.

CI

"I love working with Essbase."

What do you like best?

Essbase is great for analysis of data sets over time. It has great flexibility to help businesses analyze their data. The built in calculation engine handles most financial calculations out of the box, but Essbase also allows custom calculations built in Java implemented as a Custom Defined Function

What do you dislike?

There are limitations in data load rules occasionally that cause challenges when loading data. I also have run into issues with Essbase when trying to run ASO allocations against datasets that are too large. This is a problem when attempting to do currency conversion in large ASO apps.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Implement Oracle Analytics for Essbase on the Cloud. You get greater features than currently available on-premises.

As a consultant, I have seen many business problems solved with Essbase from traditional financial reporting to a transmission parts manufacturer using it to track their defects as part of Six Sigma.

Marketing Coordinator
Insurance

"Useful for Excel Plugin"

What do you like best?

At first, I was unsure what Essbase could be used for in my insurance industry. We have begun to use it for advanced analytics.

What do you dislike?

The excel plugin, while useful, has default settings that make normal use of excel more difficult.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely requires training and help in choosing how to use it. Not for those who struggle with more common computer programs.

We have used it to pull deeper data for loss trends and history.

CI
(10,001+ employees)

"Excellent product for Corporate Finance"

What do you like best?

The simplicity with which the end result can be presented to users for financial analysis using Drill up/down and drill through mechanism to get a real picture of financial data. The ease of importing data along with the ease of defining hierarchies in Essbase cube works like a charm.Business logic using the custom language is pretty logical and easy to learn and adapt.

What do you dislike?

Very rarely, there are times when the cube doesn't behave in the way expected even if all the hierarchy's are properly defined. Automation of the cubes can sometimes be annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a nice product. I would definitely recommend it along with other features like the Planning tool.

We built the essbase cube and on top of it we used HFR for financial reporting. For all kinds of analysis there was the Essbase plugin to slice and dice the data. We managed to give a great deal of insight to our customer on their financial data which they didn't have till we built the solution for them using Essbase.

"Essbase On-Premise "

What do you like best?

We really love Essbase and Planning ,The way it works is really easy .We have PBCS now and even that works as expected for ONLY planning apps.But for ESSABSE stand alone we really need some cloud cleart cut option

What do you dislike?

Cloud Version of Essbase ,.....we dont know what it is....or its not clear.

Smartview performance is not good we need to buy Dodecca for our large ASO drill for faster drills and why cant we acieve this in smarview ?

On-premise : We can create as many application as we want and test what ever we want

Cloud: we are missing that flexibility and we feel like we dont have owenership of our system.

(5001-10,000 employees)

"Configured Properly it does vry well with organizing your data"

What do you like best?

I like the fact that we can pull all our data in the ESSBASE cubes for reporting, planning, Capital expenditures and workforce, integrate the data and use the information in essbase for internal and external reporting. I like the fact that we can interface data from mutipe different data sources and accomplish planning and actual report using various scenarios or versions. Absolutely love the

What do you dislike?

If not configured properly the refeshes and rule can run slowly. In our case working to get users off the old version of the ESSABSE ADD-in to smartview.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider housing all your source data as source of truth in your source applications like Oracle Apps and pushing your data over to ESSBASE. Try to refrain from sourcing data in ESSBASE

Planning, external SEC reporting workforce and Capex planning

Business Systems Analyst
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Powerful excel based tool"

What do you like best?

Essbase is a simple tool that provides users with a dynamic way to access data in a format similar to them (pivot table like). The ability to write back data and interact with data on a live basis is great.

What do you dislike?

Dimension training can be difficult for new users to get to know a cube.

Cash Forecasting with the ability for users to re-categorize cash transactions. Financial Reporting withg multiplate layers to the underlying data.

UD
(10,001+ employees)

"Powerful tool but lacking UI"

What do you like best?

I like that the tool’s reporting features, and the ability to drill down.

I like that the tool is available from Excel and doesn’t require elaborate query writing.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the UI of the tool. To me, the UI is not intuitive, nor is it visually appealing. At least, I feel that way about the Excel - Essbase UI.

I feel like the UI of Tableau is more intuitive and user friendly.

I am using Essbase to access actuals and forecasts for production and financial data for my multi billion dollar company.

It’s a helpful data repository.

Senior Managing Director

"Essbase is great"

What do you like best?

Rapid aggregation of data in both BSO and ASO, ease of use via smartview for self-service reporting for business users, depth & flexibility of function library for writing calculations, financial intelligence.

What do you dislike?

Many languages to learn to achieve proficiency: Essbase calc scripting, MaxL, MDX, DOS scripting, and for advanced users, PowerShell/Java/etc. Many administration tasks seem like they could be simplified or automated.

Financial planning, sales analysis, workforce planning, capital planning, product profitability, etc.

(10,001+ employees)

"Essbase continues to improve. "

What do you like best?

What is best about essbase is it’s seemless integration with Excel. Most users are financial professionals who are already familiar with building reports in excel and want a fast data retrieval. Essbase offers users the speed and ease of use they expect.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is how hard it is to hook essbase into Power BI. My company has adopted power bi and I’ve found it difficult to hook my essbase cube into it. A work around is to build a bunch of back end retrievals and individually link them to my power bi report.

Essbase allows users to quickly retrieve both large datasets and specific cuts of data.

Director Financial Systems & Reporting

"Essbase"

What do you like best?

Ease of use, ability to solve the toughest analytical challenges

What do you dislike?

Oracle isnt doing enough to support and expand the On Premise feature and functionality capabilities.

Very open ended, I have been working with Essbase for 20 years and I havent found many analytical challenges that I couldnt use essbase to solve. It has always been a solution in search of a problem, and fortunately I always find problems to solve!

AI

"Good product pain to manage"

What do you like best?

The business loved the functionality, especially drill down data when this was the back end for Hyperion for budgeting or Demantra for demand planning.

What do you dislike?

Was a much better product before Oracle bought it. Hard to manage and even harder to keep updated. And the licensing model is terrible. We also ran into issues where sales reps said one thing and then got caught in an audit and price went up drastically after implementation.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

unless you are willing to use an Oracle Partner for setup and Upgrades this is a difficult product to install and maintain.

Better budgeting process, and clearer business hierarchy.

"From relaltional to multi-dimensional"

What do you like best?

Ever since I've been introduced to Essbase - multi-dimensional database (which was around 12 years ago now), Ive never looked back to the more traditional relational databases. Greatest upside for me is the definition of multiple dimensions paving the way for different pivots and point of view analysis.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I slightly dislike is the multiple scripting languages you have to learn like Calc scripts, MDX, business rules, and now groovy. WHy don't Oracle just integrate all these into one languge? Just pick one and stick with it!

Able to assign hundreds or even thousands of members with little or no degradtion in performance.

CF
(10,001+ employees)

"Hyperion Essbase for Financial Analysis"

What do you like best?

Once you are comfortable using Hyperion Essbase, it is an extremely simple and useful tool to use to obtain needed data. I like that you are able to suppress items such as missing rows or rows with no data present. You can tailor a spreadsheet to easily see only the data you need.

What do you dislike?

Depending on the size of the data set, Essbase often takes a considerable amount of time to run.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great tool for housing a large set of data. Also easy to use once learned and can access particular data in a quick way.

We are solving a number of issues with Plan data for next year, correctly billing the correct accounting units for services used, etc. The primary benefit is that all of our data is in one centralized location for easy access.

"Oracle Essbase Review"

What do you like best?

Essbase is great at pulling information from different cubes to use across the organization, and the currency converter can be useful too.

What do you dislike?

Using the Essbase Excel Add-In certainly causes Excel 2016 to become more buggy to the extent that I must turn off the Essbase Add-In from the default settings.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Check off Essbase from default add-ins if using Excel 2016

As an insurance user, our company uses Essbase to pull Income Statement Information to develop various reports across different lines for our business product.

ER

"Very Powerfull Ad Hoc analysis"

What do you like best?

The ability to drill into and slice data in a variety of ways through familiar tools (Excel) makes the tool easy to adopt and delivers value from day one.

What do you dislike?

Some of the due diligence needed to identify the facts and dimensions of your data up front are very time consuming and require the input of wide swaths of the organization to get right.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The right integrator is crucial to a successful implementation. Without relevant experience from similar firms is it unlikely that you will be able to identify all the relevant use cases for a product like this, unless you already have one and are looking for a replacement.

Additionally, gathering requirements from all stakeholders across the business will help shape the solution, even if some stakeholders will not begin using the system for years into the future.

Analysis of financial transactions by our reporting teams was limited to dialog between them and our accounting group. With Essbase we were able to give them access to dive into the data and blow apart transactions to a molecular level and improve their turn around time dramatically

Profitability Analyst
Consumer Goods

"Power User of Essbase Excel Add-In Tool"

What do you like best?

Essbase is a very useful tool in financial reporting. I use it every period to create 4 different company-wide reporting decks on channel, customer and product performance. Essbase is a multi-dimensional database, while not as easy to use as a relational database it is very simple to pull many granular intersections of data.

What do you dislike?

The time required to update the database at the end of every period is longer than I would like. I know there are other companies that update their DBs multiple times a day -- the way we use ours means that we cannot.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to understand how the database works. It will really aid in pulling data.

Financial reporting and Activity Based Costing for Customer and SKU rationalization.

C

"On Premise Essbase - Spreadsheet Database Forevor"

What do you like best?

Essbase and Planning are my favorite tools for Forecasting, Planning, and Analytics using a multi-dimensional framework. Ad hoc analysis in Smart View paired with Essbase continues to be incredibly valuable tool for getting through the close process and forecasting/budgeting cycles. The flexibility and customizability of cubes and data loads and calc scripts and security continue to allow for better faster decision making in the finance world.

What do you dislike?

I really like this product in the Oracle toolset.

Normalizing actuals in operational data, and being able to complete driver-based forecasting and planning in a fully customizable environment.

Manager Hyperion Planing

"Still Learningq"

What do you like best?

Having ways to compile and dashboard data for FPA users

What do you dislike?

Still working to understand the full usage of the tool and how to integrate with our on prem data

Have not rolled out to end users yet, but hoping to better provide analysts with the ability to analyse data versus compilining data

Solution Architect

"Essbase Guru"

What do you like best?

Full access to all optimization and tuning options. Visibility to performance-related metrics to maximize efficient use of hardware.

What do you dislike?

A little difficult to train novice users on

Recommendations to others considering the product:

FInd an expert to help you implement, and enjoy the benefits of a great technoclogy

Super data collection and analytics. Eliminating independent Excel and Access solutions.

Essbase Database Administrator
Oil & Energy
(10,001+ employees)

"Essbase primary job since 1995"

What do you like best?

Essbase is fast and easy to use, as a career choice it can be highly rewarding

What do you dislike?

Oracle has made it less easy, less efficient, and less "special" from what it used to be.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's still great, but what made it special historically has been taken away by Oracle and replaced with something rather ordinary (relative to competitive options).

Financial close, planning, budgeting, internal and external reporting.

"Long Live Essbase"

What do you like best?

The power and flexibility of Essbase is the best in the market. Even more excited to see and work with OAC and the use and ablity to tie in the other applications. SmartView add in creates a quick and easy stregnth to the data

What do you dislike?

Essbase over time has lacked the power in making calculations easier and comprehendible for all user types. The other areas that could use some strengthing is around the capabillities of interacting more seamlessly with application such as Planning

Have created an abundance of applications for all the entities around the organization. In fact, the Organization is expanding its footprint

AH

"Essabase has all"

What do you like best?

FR reports and Smartview EAS.EAS consol give goos view fof

What do you dislike?

smartview performance is ow if we have large cube s with 24 dimesnions and we invested in Dedecca a third party tool which made our life easy Essabase drills but we moved to PBCS now and drilling is hard for us.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

But liensing is big issue now if we have PBCS we cant drill to PBCS cube in essabse view where we can have all members in rows.

smartview is the issue .AS we have smartview coming part of essbase why do we have invest on third party toold outside of oracel.

(10,001+ employees)

"Essbase works but has some major flaws"

What do you like best?

I like that it does not constantly refresh data to its source - once a pull is done, it won't attempt to repopulate itself even offline.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that it's really hard to tell if the data is current. I've had issues with named ranges renaming themselves, and when I redo the pull, it's hard to tell if the full pull repopulated.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is better than SmartView because it allows you to code date logic in. References do not have to be static. However, it can be hard to tell if a pull is updating.

We use Essbase Smartview to pull data, and it's made our data pulls a bit faster.

"Essbase on Steriods"

What do you like best?

Given the ability to migrate the Essbase applications to cloud, with hybrid capabilities gives the best Database with much anticiapted analytics reporting capbilities

What do you dislike?

don't have access to OTL management., cant update the Outline directly from the application, User liesence are based on processor which is costly or based on time used not on named user.

Having ability to migrate the Essbase reporting apps to cloud and then have Data visualization, or analyrics to mash other from of data. ability to create cubes on fly for reporting

"Gotten much better, still ways to go"

What do you like best?

new Web UI, default Hybrid BSO. Ability to access logs via the Web UI. Application Workbook

What do you dislike?

The new architecture on the server lays files in multiple places, and is usually a pain to navigate. Liked the old on-prem setup which had everything in one root

Recommendations to others considering the product:

stop thinking on-prem old-school ways of things, and keep an open mind.

Reporting primarily, moving away from on-prem

AH
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Essbase-Excellent Analytical tool available today in the Market"

What do you like best?

The ASO and BSO cube structure helps to build the cubes as per the business needs and is very flexible and efficient to use with in addition to scripts and inbuilt calculations.

What do you dislike?

The look of the application should be improved.

Data analysis on the adhoc basis.

Report making for the month end and quarter end is easier with Essbase.

Data loadings are easier into the cubes.

"Advanced BI architect"

What do you like best?

calculation engine, aggreagation power, outline order, properties, how fast is to calculate and how nice is to create outlines and how he respect the order of members and its properties.

What do you dislike?

how slow is to extract data from it. ITs always hard to export and integrate it in your Data warehouse because the difficult way to extrat from it. metadata is also a little bit hard to maintain

Recommendations to others considering the product:

easier way to integrate essbase

all kind of problems from forecast to bi applications

Staff Vice President - Business Intelligence
(10,001+ employees)

"Essbase is a very quick method for consuming data in an accountant-friendly format"

What do you like best?

The ability to select metadata that is relevant to me. I also like multiple connections on the same Smart View sheet

What do you dislike?

For some users, it is difficult to navigate through the metadata to get to relevant intersections

KPI support and data warehouse