OpenPhone Reviews & Product Details

Owner
What do you like best?

Its simplicity allows my business to offer quick, high quality support. And with integrations like Zapier, I can make our comunications very personal using any third party service. We use it to talk with our shopify customers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We’re looking forward to a little more customization for various settings to allow more niche use cases. But everything is great including their own support team! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Consider what OpenPhone can do with its Zapier integration, and reach out to there support staff. They will respond promptly and proffesionally. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Direct personal communication with customers is not easy. OpenPhone is making it seamless. Our next step is to utilize openphone for marketing purposes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OpenPhone Overview

What is OpenPhone?

OpenPhone is the modern business phone system. It comes with powerful calling, messaging, and a lightweight CRM. Works great for individuals and teams. It allows you to share a phone number with teammates, like an inbox. Available in the browser, iOS, and Android.

OpenPhone Details

OpenPhone is the new phone for business. It comes with powerful calling, messaging, and a lightweight CRM. Works great for individuals and teams. It allows you to share a phone number with teammates, like an inbox. Available in the browser, iOS, and Android.

OpenPhone
2018
San Francisco, CA

OpenPhone Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the OpenPhone community
Have you used OpenPhone before?

OpenPhone Reviews

Showing 160 OpenPhone reviews
Already have OpenPhone?
Owner and Photographer
Open Discussions in OpenPhone
Executive Coach
What do you like best?

How easy it was to get set up. Once I enrolled, I received emails every few days to walk me through important steps to take to get set up on my business phone. The instructions were easy to follow, and what I loved is that there was a live webinar I could join on getting started and to also ask questions if need be. Another stand-out was how easily I could look up information using the website for any questions I had! All I had to do was type my question and there it was the answer with a clear cut response, and as well a video! I'm a huge visual learner so this was extremely helpful and made the process of learning how to best use this product seamless. In closing, the team as been incredible in answering my questions and providing updates to their products. They are passionate on what they do, and it shows. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

A feature I'm excited to see be released is transfer of calls for outbound calls. The transfer call feature was just released and I don't have a doubt it won't be long until the outbound calls will have this same transfer feature. By having this feature added to outbound calls I'll be able to enroll my customers easier as I'll be able to transfer them over to our account manager to initiate their service set-up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Before OpenPhone, if I wasn't available to connect with potential buyers it would be lost business however now I do have a solution by not only having a very affordable business phone service, but access to phone features that allow me to share access to my number with other sales team members or even an assistant when I'm not around. This is incredibly exciting because business can now continue when I'm not around! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mixing Engineer
What do you like best?

You can use it everywhere. Web, mobile, desktop. It's so quick and easy to get it up and running too!

Being able to restrict incoming calls to business hours removes the need for a second mobile phone or landline.

You don't have to always be 'ON'! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, not much. Every time I find an issue with like "oh, it doesn't support sending photos," the developers at OpenPhone go and fix that issue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

OpenPhone gave me more uninterrupted time with my family. It prevented me from needing a second phone or sim card to run my business on the go. And now, with the latest updates, I can give my clients better support with automated SMS messaging, and auto-replies. OpenPhone has actually allowed me to spend less time on the actual phone. Those automations help me answer frequently asked questions without using any brainpower to do so. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I LOVE how quick they respond to questions. The convenience of reaching out to support staff through text is a godsend. Quick solutions to my questions allow me more time to focus on other elements of the business. I cannot express how grateful I am to OpenPhone for providing a viable service that is easy to access through my existing phone. I can easily tell the difference between my personal calls and business calls. Multiple clients have expressed how much they appreciate the convenience of being able to reach out to me with questions, etc., which is made possible by OpenPhone's excellent service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Need to test this a bit more, but service has been spotty outside of Waterloo region (could also be something with my internet connection). There have been a few interruptions within the region as well, but this usually coincided with local internet outages and this has only happened twice in 5 months. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In starting a business I believed that I'd have to buy a new phone, set up a separate line, and that navigating this would've been a headache. OpenPhone has a simple enrollment, intuitive user interface, responsive support staff, and at an extremely affordable rate. An added bonus (that I didn't even think would be an option!) is that their app. allows me to use my existing phone. They came through in the clutch with that one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

OpenPhone provides multiple ways for teams to interact with inbound phone support. Answer via browser-based console, route calls to the OpenPhone mobile app, or connect to collaboration tools like Slack. I love the flexibility of the service across the board, especially compared to our former business phone line from our ISP.

The interface provides several lightweight options for agents to improve their handling of a call. They can label contact details for a caller and match them against customer records. They can leave notes about the details of a support case. They can also collaborate on calls when a different agent fields a follow-up call from an existing contact.

Setup can be as streamlined or as complex as you want it to be. Do you just want the ability to receive and answer calls? No problem. Looking for more robust connectivity between your inbound calls and other parts of your customer workflow? Try some of the advanced features and integrations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

OpenPhone meets or exceeds all our business requirements. I haven't encountered a feature gap or a defect. Transitioning our existing phone lines was only complicated by the slow-moving processes at our former provider. OpenPhone did everything they could to help us along with that process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I was reluctant to experiment with a new phone solution because of the hassle of dealing with ISPs and migrating phone lines, but doing a trial with OpenPhone is startlingly easy. Experiment a bit and you might be surprised how much better OpenPhone is than your legacy provider. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

One unexpected benefit is the option to text with customers. It's perfect for lightweight follow-ups plus texting is much more comfortable than a phone conversation for many customers.

The web interface helps us follow-up with repeat callers who don't leave a message. (Something we were unable to notice in our call volume before OpenPhone). We see even more support cases resolved when we reach out to these contacts.

The phone tree and voicemail settings are managed from the web console (instead of those annoying phone trees provided by ISPs). You can upload audio files, or convert text to speech which makes this far and away, the most convenient voicemail recording tool I've ever used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It's hard to nail down one specific thing. The customer support is fantastic (They've been helping me port my number from another software and have kept me updated every step of the way). They also hosted a live demo and Q&A session a couple of weeks ago and they actually answered every question we had. They plan to integrate software that I personally use, which will make OpenPhone my most important software once they finish those integrations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some features and integrations are still missing. I will say, they are actively working to finish those integrations (They gave me a rough timeline). I personally believe it will be worth the wait.

The only other downside I can see is that it might not be the best for cold-calling sales teams. I haven't yet found something to mimic a "smile and dial" feature-set that some might be used to. With that said, it's a simple process otherwise. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You should definitely utilize it. The cost vs feature-set is phenomenal and will only get better over time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

First off, it's half the cost of what I was getting with another service. The phone app actually works and it's a pain in the butt to use like the other service. The GUI is simple and cuts down on me training other staff members to use it. I'm also getting much less interference than I was previously. I will likely be a loyal customer for life. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The interface is very clean and pretty easy to navigate. Also like the default dark theme. Best of all, it is web-based and since we I use Linux, running a Linux-specific app was not necessary. Another nice feature is only needs one interface for multiple lines... don't have to open separate web browsers for the separate phones. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Only feature that is missing is cannot assign a separate number (landline) to ring. Either mobile phone or via the computer. You can forward to another line, but then that other line's voicemail picks up. Not a huge deal, but would be a nice feature to have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Wanted a Google Voice replacement where the information (calls, voicemail, text messages, contacts) was not scanned by google algorithms and my information became the product. Wanted something that had the features of Google Voice but provided the privacy that people deserve. Also, it was easy to port the Google Voice number over. The desktop interface is fabulous. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Network Infrustructure Consultant
What do you like best?

OpenPhone combines texts and voicemails from a person in a single conversation. It sounds simple, but it is so ingenious. I can easily review a combination of text messages and voicemails in a single view. OpenPhone does much, much more but this is my favorite feature. It is superior as a user experience to Apple's native visual voicemail and iMessage -- those require two apps and bouncing back and forth between them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I rarely lack a complaint to lodge, but in this case I have to say OpenPhone has no negatives for me. OpenPhone replaced Google Voice and Apple's native apps. I had used Google Voice for around 10 years, and it's really not nearly as good as the features offered by OpenPhone. I am a fan and a real customer. OpenPhone is also between a little less and much less expensive than many cloud PBX type services. It's a good price for an innovative service. Very happy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use it primarily to advertise vacant rental properties. I need to be able to handle 20 to 100 new enquiries per day from potential renters while an ad is running. I need to bounce between a couple dozen simultaneous conversations and not lose my place. OpenPhone is good for my business and on a personal level has reduced my stress. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-Founder - Sales Prospecting at Scale
What do you like best?

OpenPhone is really easy to use and is a smooth software overall. What's more, is the support and integrations just make this software too good not to use! Integrate, OpenPhone with https://www.pickleai.com/ just opens a lot more and gives great insight. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing, I've tried multiple features, etc., and was actually just using the free version, it's amazing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

if you're making outbound calls make sure you try it out with Cloudlead.co data ;) I also recommend that you download their laptop and phone App so your number is integrated everywhere. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Calling, tracking, recording, training, lead generation, customer success, website call-back, there are too many use cases. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

The quality of the product is great; the calls are clear and crisp, the desktop and mobile apps are fantastic and easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It could have more integrations, but I'm hopeful they'll be coming in time (it's still new after all). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

OpenPhone is a great softphone provider with an excellent value for the price. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed a reliable phone for our business, but we don't want to deal with a whole separate phone line or additional hardware. OpenPhone let myself and my business partner share a toll-free number with an easy to manage app, reliable services, and no problems at all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

Open Phone is a reliable, customizable, uncomplicated, intuitive phone service that works just like you might hope something as simple and crucial as phone service should work. Texting, calling, attaching documents, and keeping track. I don't need or want my phone service to be much more complicated than that! We use it every day all day in our service industry. It rings to our office and our cell phones simultaneously. Having experienced many other systems..... Open Phone is exactly what we needed.

Aesthetically, I like the look and feel of OpenPhone with special mention of the new IOS desktop app - which is fantastic! Love it all!

Using OpenPhone has increased productivity and lessened our already heavy responsibilities in the office as this thing JUST WORKS! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes calls are dropped - or sound robot-like - rarely, but it does happen. But it happens at times with our regular carrier as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely recommend OpenPhone to anyone considering a VPN. Office phone with calls, texts, attachments, recording options...... and easy to use for a low price. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We had a reliability problem with our most recent previous phone system. It was actually a mess and reflected poorly on our office over all. We also had to eventually give out our personal cell numbers since it was so unreliable. We were just sick of it and hesitant to try OpenPhone. Our phone system before that was complicated, cumbersome, and couldn't receive texts or attachments. and the system before that was really complicated and also unreliable....... I mentioned this to the staff at OP who encouraged us to do the ultimate test - - to give it a try. We're so glad we gave it a chance!

We find that it records everything if that option is chosen. In our industry, this is VERY helpful and even important. It also saves everything and allows us to add notes so we know our client immediately when they call, saving us time and making us look a little better than we actually are, really. :) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AA
What do you like best?

Super easy to select a preferred phone number and get started. Interface is laid out well. Easy to navigate and find what you're looking for in most cases, and set up various forwards, voicemails, etc. Love the option to type in text and convert to speech! Response time and quality from customer service has been excellent too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Just like with any tool, there's a bit of learning but honestly, haven't found anything to dislike yet, especially compared to the competitors I've used. I haven't tried the mobile app yet but will start doing so in 2021. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were using a competitor whose UI/UX left a lot to be desired. I like that all my info is available in one platform, connected to CRM, email, and customer service is speedy to address any questions. We can't be waiting 5 days for a response to a question about phone functionality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Logistics Planner
What do you like best?

How easy it is to get a second number and control your employees by using this simple app, and the support team is always eager to help and listening to customers on how to improve. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are some options like conference call that aren't still available. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's one the most affordable VoIP options in the market is really easy to use and great for marketing purposes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've saved the problem for my marketing team because we weren't able to find a service that was affordable for us. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ease of use. The interface is really intuitive, clean and simple. It works seamlessly on my iPhone and has not failed to connect or have voicemails that mysteriously disappear as they did on other services I've used previously. It's great that you can message and send photos just as you would on any mobile device. A lot more flexibility than your traditional business line. You can set your business hours and customize away messages with a few clicks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No disadvantages that I can see thus far. If there were any wish-list items, it might be to have the option to set a different ring tone for Open Phone calls vs my regular mobile phone calls, but not a set-back at all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for an intuitive, clean user experiences with your VOIP business phone service, Open Phone is for you. Easy to use, and offers all the things you are accustomed doing on your mobile phone, but now on your business phone. Excellent customer support with no 45 minute waits to speak to a representative. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Phone solves the problem of not having two separate phones or even a landline. Everything can be channeled through your mobile and organized separately from your non-business line. You can keep all your calls organized and helps create that separation of personal vs business life easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Long Version - I explored Zoom, Dialpad, Google Voice, Skype, and all the smaller competitors to OpenPhone even setting up a paid month with each to explore features and workflow.

A few of those competitors didn’t even offer SMS. None offered line delegation. And many of them were built for enterprise solutions... more money more problems.

OpenPhone’s pricing model stood out to me. No added fees. Easy to add an additional line. I could understand it, remember it, and I wasn’t scared to open the bill in my email... so you had me at hello there!

I knew Dialpad from the UberConference days, gave them a chance, and got hustled by a sales rep to sign up that day because “he was leaving”. It just felt off that I needed to be “sold” a second VOIP line where someone was getting commission to convince me I needed to buy a fancy desk phone instead of use the phone I have.

Dialpad’s desktop app for Mac constantly took over my mic and headset whenever I connected. It was just so poorly coded and frustrating. So I was paying more for a “native” app that didn’t do what it was supposed to.

I’ve been continuously impressed with OpenPhone’s response time, development pipeline, and brand as a whole. It just works, you’re pushing forward towards your vision. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

At first, lack of Desktop app was a small issue but I reached out, was added to the beta pool, and am happy to report their Desktop app for Mac has launched publicly. There's a few shortcuts to finesse versus the browser but overall it's been working great.

Porting was fairly seamless but does take time so be aware if you're bringing a number over.

Less important for me is the ability to add a hardware phone but currently lacks the ability. If you have an old smartphone, this problem is easily fixed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Simplified soft phone with convenient pricing. Ability to add multiple lines at an inexpensive rate and multiple users to each line is very valuable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Principal, Senior ERP Consultant and Project Manager
What do you like best?

This is a softphone service that allows you to keep your phone number, travel abroad and receives call to your regular number while not paying high roaming fees Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It does not work with two factor authentication Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Perfect for digital nomads or those wanting to travel for an extended period, keep and use their "regular" phone number and not pay high roaming fees (just purchase a local sim card in the country of travel with a data plan e.g. in Italy and Malta I paid about $10 Euro's for a sim card with 4-9GB of data for one month) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Can live a digital nomad lifestyle while maintaining the same customer facing phone number and not incur large roaming fees Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It has been totally reliable while also very flexible. It really gets out of your way, so it's always nice when you do go back into settings and realize there are new features you didn't realize you've grown a need for, like voice menus. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Their URL. Unfortunately someone is squatting on their dot com and whoever that is gets a ton of typo'd hits from me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Just keeping a fully separate line for business was my original goal, but I've found that it does a great job of tracking everything I need to track -- how long I spent on calls, with text message conversations in the same place. I know I can even record calls, though I haven't used that feature yet. I've just started using the voice menus which allow me to further help route urgent requests from unknown numbers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

Amazing interface that makes setting up customer service easy and painless. Everything from porting my old number to setting up auto response texts for missed calls - 💯 Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Where do I find snippets?? Is that feature coming? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I stumbled upon OpenPhone but really glad I did. This makes RingCentral look like a dinosaur - with better UI, more functionality and better prices! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Small business

Team based customer service - where folks know if a call / text has been addressed

Auto responses for missed calls Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Chief Operating Officer
What do you like best?

Our favorite things about OpenPhone are we are able to see which tech responded to each customer, easily see phone calls that were made to each person, and this helps us manage our large customer base with ease. We love that we can add different numbers for different departments, but it's only one app and it's seamless to use. I'm impressed with how simple the app design is, but also don't feel like anything is missing. It's intuitive and even as we continue to grow, it will take us a while to grow out of their system! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think I'd prefer if when adding users, the admin had to approve if they try to sync their contacts. It's a really easy thing to do and since we don't need our personal contacts in the phone also, it's just a mess if I have to get other users to delete it all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We can now set our business hours and expectations with customers, but also have access to everything we may need super quickly. This app is making it to where our systems behind the scenes are smoother and more efficient! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Application Developer
What do you like best?

I never understood how important it was to separate my personal phone number from my main number until I signed up for a second phone number. No longer have to hear phone calls when I'm at dinner with my family. I also enjoy setting separate voice mails for after hours and during hours when I just can't reach my phone vs after hours when I am done for the day. I didn't know that this could be automated, but it can. Great work :) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So long as I have my own personal number on my phone I have 911 calling. This is not a replacement for a personal cell number. This is for the professional/ small-med business that needs a group number. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely try out their free trial, and test the features with a free phone number. Then you can always assign/transfer your number from your provider (Telus in my case) to open phone. Stop looking further. If you're a small organization that needs a shared number, OR you were like me and a contractor and need a separation from work and life, this IS your second (non-emergency) phone number. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am solving the problem of needing a personal number and business number. I also solve the problem of needing multiple people to answer the same phone number without having to pay a huge sum for a custom solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.