Open LMS Reviews & Product Details

Open LMS Overview

What is Open LMS?

Blackboard Open LMS enhances open source technology and builds on its capabilities to create a better learning experience. The Blackboard Open LMS experience is unique and compatible with learning analytics (IntelliBoard), virtual classrooms (Blackboard Collaborate), open source (Blackboard Open Content), plagiarism prevention (Blackboard SafeAssign), course content accessibility (Blackboard Ally), user management (Genius) and services as Office 365 portfolio, among other tools.

Open LMS Details

Open LMS enhances open source technology and builds on its capabilities to create better training and a better learning experience.

Open LMS
Brighton, United Kingdom

Open LMS Reviews

Showing 41 Open LMS reviews
Already have Open LMS?
Manager of Learning Technology Solutions
What do you like best?

Blackboard Open has a great feature called the personal learning designer which allows you to automate several actions within Moodle based on events that occur in the course. This tool has been useful for delivering timely messages to students and faculty term after term, and unlocking course activities based on grade received, it has very useful features we've used regularly since first adopting them as a provider. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We've been with Open LMS since 2011 when they were originally Moodlerooms. Over that time, the support from the company degraded significantly. Frequently, issues we were having with the LMS are pushed back to us as something we were doing wrong when we clearly provided evidence otherwise. Cases will frequently go unanswered for multiple days at a time and require me to escalate them to the next level by involving our customer success manager. Blackboard's recent sale of their platform to LTG leaves us hoping that more will be invested in the case of support but that remains to be seen. The final drawback we've had with open LMS is their locked down, hashed system that is shared by multiple users. If you're looking for open access to your data, find another moodle host or expect to pay exorbitant fees to custom code a solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Blackboard Open has some nice features and is affordable but expect to have very limited access to your data via the system itself. Third oarty integrations are costly but can give you some access. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We've been able to serve, develop and manage courses for thousands of students since 2011. Blackboard open is also relatively inexpensive compared to proprietary vendors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EE
What do you like best?

It meets the requirements of today's students, it's very user friendly. It's based on Moodle so there is active development on the application. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

You can't use all of the available plugins that are made available by the Moodle community, only plugins that are approved by Blackboard. That list is very limited. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All students and teachers work with this application. It makes it possible to use it with methods like 'flipping the classroom' and Moocs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

It's easy to see assignments pop up and to upload your own work to send to a teacher. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be somewhat bland looking and at times confusing to operate. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Getting assignments to students without being in class. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

System Integration Manager
What do you like best?

It is the better way of making a present online teaching and learning practice. Also, I like that its perfect for both of sides. The learners and educators can use it on every device from phone to desktop with no having to set up an app. It is great that I have the ability to different training options to contain various learning manner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Don't worry I don't want to say something bad about that product as I like it very much. But I have problems with upload big size documents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely, it is the key to bright education. You will see how styling accommodates to all mobile devices in the very easy way. Gives flexibility that conforms to any study plan with many helpful plugins to expand functionality. I recommend. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With the Moodle, we have big help with all install and we can be sure that our website is accurately configured to secure our needs. To be ensuring that our learning experiences with the highest level and will be suit for all people with any kind of skills. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Education Coordinator
Construction
What do you like best?

I'm glad that it also highly secure and allow high step of productivity. It is great to create a content and edit our courses. The great way of using teaching and learning tools. I like the way to navigate and carry out common tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a small issue with uploading big folders. All of the rest of this program works well. Actually, it is the good and fast learning program. I like everything that this platform gives to me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Will allows you to manage all your teaching process. The perfect and organized way to prolong your unique quality, deliver an unforgettable learning and teaching experience. Realize an e-learning performance that drives cooperation between teachers and students. I recommend to use it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As for our team, these intuitive workflows make work easier. I guess it is the best system for both of sides as teachers and for students. Ability to work on any electronic device with no having to set an app. We have different training options to contain various learning styles. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

High School English Teacher
Education Management
What do you like best?

It is a great way for people to collaborate with each other. It is also a great way for Teachers to teach a classroom of students online. We can give polls to the students, split them into groups for collaboration, and chat with them in a chat box. There are also many features the students can use with the teachers, such as raising their digital hand to ask a question. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some features are difficult to find on it, such as the "away" sign and the hand signals. I also wish the polling on the Moodlerooms was easier to send out to students. I wish there was also an option to prevent students from unmuting themselves without permission. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If u need easy and effective collaboration, then use this LMS. It provides a great way for you to reach a wide-network of people located in various regions of the state. I believe it is the most useful when teaching others in a classroom environment. It is also very fun to use. This is mostly because of its minor capabilities - such as being able to use a chat box for side conversations, break out rooms for partner or group conversations, polls to evaluate opinions, and icons to let the teacher know each student's needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The main problems we face are simply with schools being able to provide computers and other ways for students to access the Moodlerooms. It's benefits include being able to reach a wide-spread network of schools all around Arkansas. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Education Assistant
Higher Education
What do you like best?

As for me, it is great learning system. I like that everything is totally organized.I can easily share all information and nice way of working side. I can easily work on development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I rather like it than dislike.I like the way how it works. Doesn't take it to long to understand.I mean very easy to use. Perfect that I can have everything in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Great solution for keeping control of education. To control students and make their ability to study much better and increase their knowledge. I like it and I recommend it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have the ability to control of professional progress. Also, its gives a way to cooperation between teachers and gives solution how to the delivery of educational skills. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The instructions are pretty easy to follow for designing a course. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is not easily compatible with an iPad and the Moodle App has not been useful for students as it is hard to use with assignments. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is easy to use with a PC. There are a variety of assignment types and assessments that can be used to provide a well rounded course. It is not easy, however, for students to upload large files. I have had graduate students assigned to post lectures but they have not been able to upload them as a student. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It was used to improve student learning at the college. It has provided us with a centralized means of introducing content and assessments to all students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EdTech consultant
E-Learning
What do you like best?

How fast it behaves, in comparison to a plain moodle deployment. You can have a full working environment in a few days -most of them are taken by bureaucracy- without the need of deploying your own Moodle in your bare-metal servers.. Keep it simple and deploy fast. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are some options that are unavailable and have to wait for the next major update (each 6 months), like any sort of custom development outside of the system connection boundaries (LTI, websockets, etc). Anyway, this is the direction all major LMS are heading to: SaaS deployment and external applications without any connection to the LMS core, against the old inner plugin approach. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you like how a plain Moodle works, want to have quick and fast, and are not eager to implement any complex customizations, this is your product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's a quick way to sell a Moodle environment to a client without having to mantain the hardware infrastructure or taking care at all. Moodlerooms practically turns Moodle into a SaaS. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I like that the classes are online and you can take them at your leisure! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing that I can think of, except having the option to pause, save, and resume at a later time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for consistent online training for your employees, Moodle is definitely an option to consider. Their site is very user friendly. As far as pricing, however, I was not privy to this information, just a user! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

No problems that I have personally experienced. Benefits that my school district has experienced is the ability to give the same training to all of their staff. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

8th grade School Counselor
Education Management
What do you like best?

I like how Moodlerooms allows me to connect with students, teachers, and parents with live simulation and controlling progress of student interactions and at-risk behaviors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how Moodlerooms conflicts with our use of Infinite Campus portal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are solving the connectedness issue between teachers and parents at the beginning of each semester. We have realized streamlined communication benefits thanks to Moodlerooms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Moodle theoretically works great but I struggled when I used it. There were quite a few technical challenges and a lot of times I needed to replicate information and recreate what had been done sometimes several times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I had to recreate a number of modules and had issues with information disappearing or not showing up correctly. Many times students would need access to information and could not see it. Additionally students would not be able to see information I had posted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We primarily used Moodle for collaboration and I taught online classes. I did like the theory behind Moodle but struggled with the execution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

There was not any characteristic that I liked. It was very difficult and well see comments under dislike. I in my defense did not use the program often or for a very extended period of time. Probably would have hopefully gotten more easy with use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Well it would be easier to say what I like about it. Nothing. Its complicated confusing. Pointless. There are lots of programs out there that are so much easier to use. Userfriendly. This is not one of them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Please don't Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Not business related per say. Educational wise. Yes. Some of the teachers I work with like this. I first was introduced to moodle for the classroom when I was in a college teacher education class. Not a fan. But Im an older professional so there could be bias because of that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

Moodlerooms has enough support and is intuitive enough that a novice should not have trouble using it, while at the same time providing enough features that most users will be satisfied with their experience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only problems I have ever encountered with Moodlerooms occurred when professors would attempt to schedule modules in advance and occasionally the modules would be missing. 9 times out of 10 this was user error, rather than the program. Anything else that went wrong, the support was easily able to resolve in a timely manner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Moodlerooms makes it much easier to manage multiple sessions or classes, manage higher numbers of students, and it also provides good feedback for user participation and, if the instructor uses the grading, it gives a clear picture of where a class as a whole is succeeding or struggling. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

That every semester I’m teaching I can import all my projects and information from the last class I taught. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be tedious trying to upload class projects and grades to moodle. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having to continually start for scratch at the beginning of a new semester if I’m traching the same class. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Business Analyst | IT Specialist | Records and Information Management
What do you like best?

Ease of use, no internal technical support needed, 24x7 support by knowledgeable engineers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Inability to access and manage all the Moodle install folders.

Need to pay for third-party plugin QC testing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need to do a lot of customization and add a lot of plugins this may not be your best option. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Providing a reliable online LMS.

An LMS that is responsive, always available and up-to-date. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It was easy to use and useful for a teacher. Once I learned how to use it, I enjoyed trying it in different ways. My university students enjoyed the interactive experience that I was able to give them. I like the ability to give quizzes and get student work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve was a little tough. I wanted to know how to do what I wanted to do immediately and this took time. I didn't feel that it was intuitive. I don't like having to go to trainings and listen to someone explain how to use it. Then I have to play with it for awhile before it is easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Since we were using Moodle, this was a great tool to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I work in education so I didn't have an business problems. I did like how I was able to integrate it with my classroom. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

The bold wording and the navigation is easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The color of the Website is not very appealing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Allowing other staff or students to communicate with one another. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

2nd Grade Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education
What do you like best?

I like the ability to create and organize different modules. It's easy to have everything organized into different weekly units for an online class. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think that the platform could be more user friendly. When you click on external links it should open in a new tab. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have used moodlerooms as a way to take online courses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I like that we can post lesson plans and refer back to plans for the quarter! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I feel like I have to click several options before I get to the screen to upload my lesson plan files. Less clicks and mire direct access would save me time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to put team lesson plans in a place co-teachers can see and supervisors can review. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Special Educator
Education Management
What do you like best?

The ability to provide quick feedback and grading to students. In addition to creating quizzes and homework assignments. Great way to build in technology to teaching. Students can access homework online and upload assignments. Similar to programs used in college level classes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Finding a balance and accessibility restricted to only when I had access to computers. Probably more beneficial to teachers teaching grades 4-12. Not as user friendly for younger children. Time it takes to create assignments is an adjustment. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a teacher this is a great resource to add to your toolbox. Especially if you are trying to incorporate more technology into your teaching style. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Communication and ability for students and parents to access feedback quickly from home.Great for preparing high school student on ways college homework might be submitted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Agriculture Teacher
Primary/Secondary Education
What do you like best?

It was nice being able to communicate with others easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is confusing at times to navigate through any PD. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It creates an environment that all employees can use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

There isn't much I do like about this program. It is extremely slow and hard on any computer. There have been times when my computer has over heated while in this program. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Slow, not user friendly, does not flow well. There are so many tedious steps to get to where you want to go. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have not seen many problems solved. Moodle seems to cause more problems Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Media Producer
What do you like best?

Moodle is a really nice learning management system for our online learning. We also use moodle for supplemental material in our face to face classes. The grade book is one of my favorite things about moodle. It allows me to create quizzes and homework assignments and easy grade them and quickly gets grades back to the students. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only issues I have is with uploading large files to my course, but I believe its because we don't have a lot of space and my video files are too big. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Moodlerooms can be a wonderful management system for small institutions and large ones too! Definitely give it a try if this is something you are looking for. The support for Moodlerooms is also very good. They are quick to respond back with helpful information. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to post content and have students take quizzes and complete assignments and then being able to quickly grade them has been a great experience for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I personally do not use Moodlerooms but out entire campus (faculty) uses this product and there seems to be a ton of buzz about it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing - I believe that there is so much positive feedback that it would be impossible to give negatives. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I believe we are being able to provide scheduling for different classes Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you work for Open LMS?