NoteTab Reviews & Product Details

NoteTab Overview

What is NoteTab?

NoteTab Pro is currently the world’s most awarded text and HTML editor. It has won awards from PC Magazine, PC World, WUGNET, the Shareware Industry Awards and the People’s Choice Awards. For some NoteTab is simply the best Notepad replacement out there. For webmasters it’s the fastest HTML editor. For others it’s the most versatile text editor. For power users it’s a unique text-processing work horse.

NoteTab Details

NoteTab is a Notepad replacement HTML and text editor with text-processing, search and replace, capture and copy text to clipboard, reusable text snippets and macros, and other utilities to help the editing process.

NoteTab Pro offers great features like:
- multiple-level undo/redo
- blazingly fast and flexible search & replace tools
- easy-to-use wildcards for searching (like * and ?)
- an integrated two-pane outliner
- real-time word count (NoteTab or Microsoft Word method)
- text statistics for SEO (HTML code automatically ignored)
- support for HTML5 and CSS3
- support for Twitter’s Bootstrap toolkit
- syntax highlighting for HTML, XML, and CSS files
- multilingual spell checker and thesaurus
- customizable menu shortcuts and toolbars

Fookes Software Ltd
1996
Fribourg, Switzerland
@FookesSoftware
512 Twitter followers

NoteTab Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the NoteTab community
Have you used NoteTab before?

NoteTab Reviews

Showing 24 NoteTab reviews
Already have NoteTab?
Arquitecto de software
What do you like best?

NoteTab has excellent features in terms of interface design, which make the coding path easy. The application is versatile and also has different options for programming as auto corrector, auto code replacement or even a sample code section. It also stands out for its extensive ecosystem of extensions or complements for syntax. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would like to have an integration with git added to the application, since currently only one ftp tool is integrated and is not really a contemporary complement. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My recommendation to the community is to purchase NoteTab as it has different options that will help you to facilitate writing lines on lines of code. The software has a trial version available to support its excellent features and end up acquiring it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am currently using Notetab for web development. This application has an auto replacement tool for HTML that allows me to change variables quickly without having to resort to suggestions, making my life easier when coding. I also experimented with its autocorrector for several lines of syntax. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Arquitecto de software
What do you like best?

NoteTab is an editor with very useful functions. What I like most about the editor are its replacement options for HTML and Bootstrap, which make the setting too simple. I also like that the editor includes an FTP client, to be able to load the projects through the software interface. Also, this editor has one of the best autocorrectors I've used. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The professional version license, which has the best features, is highly expensive, because the editor for the Linux platform is only available through Wine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a tool that I recommend specifically if you plan to program in HTML, for its powerful options and extensions, which will make your job easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

NoteTab greatly exceeds the editing of HTML code with its auto-replacement option, so all our web projects based on this programming language are modified in this editor. It is also a great benefit to have an FTP client included, so you do not have to pay for additional software that fulfills that function. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

office staff
What do you like best?

NoteTab is a text editor with many useful tools.

I particularly like the options for working with HTML and Bootstrap files, which make implementation easy.

I also like that the editor is included with an FTP client. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Even small projects slow down the computer the computer.

Sometimes I have to close the application and restart it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend it because the large amount of tools allows you to do everything!

A great text editor Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Automatic formatting helps me write html files and format them.

The integrated ftp function is very useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ingeniero de Desarrollo Junior
What do you like best?

Particularly I like its interface, which has all its functions perfectly located and saves me time compared to other editors in finding the features that I will use. I like their autocomplete and replace functions. I also like that it allows the integration with servers like Node.js to facilitate the implementation of projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The large number of extensions can sometimes be overwhelming. I think they should be categorized by section. I also think that if the size of the project is very large the program starts to slow down the computer, causing unexpected closes of the software without saving. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

NoteTab for me is a web development platform, for its tabulators. It has a large library of extensions and accessories that other editors do not have. I also think that your documentation is very well detailed, especially in configuration of extensions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use this editor when I need to do autocompletion in the code of some projects. Basically this software provides a high level of extensions that can improve your workspace. Also the fact of being able to move the code from top to bottom without cutting it gives me great comfort when I am programming. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

Efficiency, well-designed, functions, ease of use, lack of "annoyingness", power Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

nothing I am aware of. I would like to add a French dictionary, and that may be quite possible - I need to poke around a bit more to see. (I draft in different languages.) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try NoteTab Lite. It's free! You will like it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I do not do programming or any heavy computer tasking, just a lot of word processing, note taking, and drafting. I like efficiency, simplicity, and useful features, and NoteTab (in all of its versions) has all of that. In fact, I really like the program, and only now am prompted to write a review because (1) I've been using the product for a long time and (2) I want to let other people know that I think it's good! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

NoteTab Pro (and free) is one of the best rich text and html editors I have, or have ever used. It is a tab oriented text editor. It colors html tags with different colors for links and text. NoteTab makes use of a system called clips, which are written in plain text readable clipcode. A user can edit the built in and downloadable clips or create their own. I use my own html clip to load any tag, attribute, element or modification I want to an html page. The current version ships with an html 5 clip that has all of the W3C approved tags and attributes.

Any number of tabs can be opened as new pages, or saved works in already in use. You can drag and drop a text or html file onto NoteTab (even on an open tab) and it will open as a new tab! The tabs line up along the top and have left and right arrows on one side to scroll through them. Or, the open tabs can be stacked in long horizontal rows if you prefer.

The search function can either search the tab you are in, or all open tabs for matching words, terms, codes, or regular expressions. There is also a search disk function that searches any folders you list, including or excluding sub-directories. Matching documents can be selected to open in separate tabs. There is a search and replace box for the open tabs that accepts both plain text and regular expressions.

There are two web browser buttons on a toolbar to open your current document in one of two configurable web browsers (if they are installed). NoteTab does outlines, plain text, rich text, unicode and html, as well as php and other code languages that are not binary encoded. If another editor modifies the content of a tab that is open in NoteTab, a box pops up asking if you want to refresh and load the new content. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

My only issue is that the right-left arrows for scrolling the tabs are together on the right side and cannot be separated to have one on the far left and the other on the far right (like Firefox browsers have). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you like to type code, or outlines, or just text documents and need a more powerful program than Notepad, or Notepad++, try out NoteTab. The tabs can be dragged to different poswitions and the clip libraries make it very versatile. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I learned to write html code in the year 1998 and use NoteTab to write all of the web pages I have created or altered for myself and webmaster clients. I also use NoteTab to write and edit CGI, Perl and PHP files and especially, .htaccess files and IP blocklists. Nothing else works as well for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Computer Hardware
What do you like best?

I use it for everything. It reloads on boot with many important business and personal files. That means the information I really use is always at hand. The metric conversions are very handy, and the consistently year to year is appreciated. I also use it to strip formatting information from text before I paste it into another app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Dislike? There really is nothing I actually "disllke", but there are a few things which occasionally annoy me.

Setting it up when I change platforms is always a bit of a pain. I like it organized is a specific way, with only what I really use on the screen. The whole "Libraries" thing is a problem because from install to install I just can't remember where to find the options to disable everything. There are also times I wish I could do just a tad of text formatting (bold, italics) but I live without it with no problems. Sometimes I wish there was a way to set up linked files for projects. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As a sales engineer, I regularly write letters and emails with the same information. I maintain an evolving set of boilerplate which I lift from NoteTab and insert in the new document, editing as necessary for the occasion. There are many other ways to do this, but NoteTab offers unformatted text which is instantly available with no searching. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

- Fast to load and edit hundreds of thousands of lines

- Regular Expression support

- Text Statistics and Word Frequency

- Easy to modify HTML tags Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The library can be complicated to use, other than that, nothing much to complain. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking for a lightweight and fast text editor, I recommend NoteTab. NoteTab has every useful function needed when editing a text or HTML file, such as regular expression, syntax highlighting, text statistics and support HTML5 and CSS3,

I recommend at least trying the free version (Light) or the trial version they offer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use NoteTab to sort information needed to use along Python scripts and to compose emails. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sole Trader
Media Production
What do you like best?

The 'outline' function is a fantastic asset to the software. I keep sets of notes together using this. I also find the clip/function libraries very helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Hard to find anything to dislike in NoteTab, but if pressed, I would say that using the libraries mentioned above is quite a steep learning curve. That's not really a problem though, is it? It's worth learning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I can't recommend NoteTab enough. It has the features you'd expect (code syntax highlighting, etc.), but the additional functionality of multiple tabs, outlines, a favourites window and clip libraries (installed and customizable) puts it way ahead of the rest. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The outline function is really handy in business use. It enables me to plan projects step by step without being overwhelmed by on-screen text overkill. It is also a great way to index notes on a specific category. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Speed. Simplicity. Features. So many features. Yet they don't appear - like so many programs - to be annoying 'bells & whistles' with little real use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Lite, Standard & Pro tiers confuse me. I don't get it. The freebie Lite I get. I Pro I get but why something in-between? Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

When I used to program & project manage a lot I found it not only to be a great editing tool but a great info management tool too. The programming & other libraries are to die for.

Now I write more & love the fact that I can get the words down quick without fussing about the formatting. NoteTab is the best distraction-free writing tool ever - but when I want to move stuff around, find/replace, automate input - it's the best. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

NoteTab Pro is without a doubt one of the most feature laden versatile programs on the market today that any user can benefit from. In over 20 years of I am still constantly finding more features and everday uses of the program. It is the program that I open first when I start my computer in the morning and the last one I close when logging off in the evening Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

To be honest I beside a slightly weak speak check dictionary compaded to MS Word I have none Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try NotTab trail version even if all you use it for is a simple text editor the just being able to switch from one text file to another using Tabs makes it a winner Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use NoteTab Pro as a Text Editor to write and modify boiler plate , to write and edit webpages (HTML), Parse/Search/Manipulate Data, FTP Utility, additional NoteTab has a large suite of useful utilities that in a date and time stamp function which makes NoteTab ideal for taking notes that require time documentation, a password, password creator, English/Metric conversions etc. NoteTab Pro is dollar for dollar one if not the most feature laden program on the market today and I have been a happy user of for over 20 years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

President
Environmental Services
What do you like best?

I've used NoteTab since about version 5.x as I recall, perhaps earlier. Anytime I build or migrate to a new PC, the first program I install is NoteTab.

It is more powerful than Notepad, and more enjoyable to use.

Very highly recommended. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I miss the old desktop icon that went away after version 6. It was red with a large white PLUS, I wish I had an option to select that icon. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Used for editing all sort of ascii text files on clients and my Company server. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
Government Relations
What do you like best?

The tabbiing that is similar to web tabs on most browsers - and the fact that you can change all documents open with just one simple click. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have not yet found a single flaw in this product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it. If you get the trial version, play around with it during the evaluation period and see if you do not end up switching to Note Tab Pro. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Quicker when using multiple files of the same type (such as HTML) to correct all files simultaneously with one click. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Hard to say what I like the best. Customization is great, quick access to useful tools, auto tabbing, programming highlighting, ability to make scripts. I made a script that will automatically change apache config settings for my various development sites so localhost points to the site I want to work on, for example. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Can't think of anything. I started out with the free version and upgraded about 5 years later. Glad I did although I did it just because I felt I should pay for the excellent editor I'd been using every day practically for 5 years. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Get the free light version and try it out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm a computer programmer, which is my business. The editor is my main tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CH
What do you like best?

The ability to re-order my thoughts in any particular sequence I like Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

nothing - for my purpose - it is and ideal and unique application Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

trial how it might be a unique solution to a problem you are struggling with - it might well be EXACTLY what you're looking for Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have been using McKinsey Consultancy problem solving methodology for several years and follow a particular root cause problem analysis procedure, Firstly I 'freewrite' a rustic narrative of what I think the problem to be solved actually is (I hypothesise) - secondly and most importantly for me, I deconstruct that narrative into a list of single lines, the necessary and sufficient elements of the problem as I see it - this is Mckinseys' MECE breakdown' ( Mutually Exclusive Collectively Exhaustive) parts of the problem - I then use NoteTab+ - to intuitively address and order an often rambling very long discursive MECE list into a list that has the essence of the problem I am looking to solve - This maybe an odd use of Note Tab+ but it works wonderfully for me! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Strikes a great balance by being a no-nonsense text editor that contains tons of useful features. It's capable of much more than what I use it for, but it still works perfectly well for me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't think of anything off-hand that I dislike about NoteTab. Macro-type features would be nice. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I can recommend NoteTab to anyone who likes to organize using lists or prefers to create/manage notes without a lot of formatting. This is a robust text editor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Above all, NoteTab helps me stay organized. It's tabs and groups are an essential part of my workflow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The line numbers and tabs are a real timesaver. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Actually i do not dislike anything about the software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just try it out!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I write all my emails in NoteTab and just copy and paste them in my emailprogram. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Help Desk Technician - Tier 2
What do you like best?

Not only is NoteTab a great multi-purpose editor, it is easy extended using a built-in scripting language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I cannot say that there is really anything that I dislike about NoteTab Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use NoteTab as a method to keep track of service tickets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CNC Programmer
Renewables & Environment
What do you like best?

True ASCII editor. Simple to learn. Ideal for editing repetative programming as clips/clipbooks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No license info available in the About tab. Was difficult to remember the email I registered under, 10yrs ago! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Parametric machining programs based on variable data of specific parts, using optimum machine and tool parameters.

99% less time to output final machining code vs selecting machine/tool/part geometry.

Change one item and you start from scratch selecting machine/tool/part geometry. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Freelance Bookkeeper/Accountant
Accounting
What do you like best?

1. Can keep multiple files open in separate tabs

2. Bookmarking of files

3. Easy editing including search/replace, join/split lines, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

nothing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just try it. Even with the free version, you'll never go back. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Editing scripts for various computer apps

Logging activity

Editing various documents Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

That everything you need in a text editor is there from the start. You don't need to download a regex plugin - it's there and its part of the base program. I've used it for years and it's still the best text manipulation editor out there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't get updated much any more - not that it needs to be. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's the best text manipulation editor you can get Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's the best tool out there for text manipulation and data wrangling; it works with very large files too. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Katie Cullen Montgomerie of NoteTab

Cheers for reviewing our product Tim! We appreciate it. Katie @ Fookes Software

AW
What do you like best?

NoteTab started out to be the best plain text editor and to continue to make innovations that actually make working easier and more intuitive.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Fookes cares about its end users and continues to make improvements that are useful and intuitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web page design. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

I am very keen on efficiency, simplicity, leanness, and usefulness. NoteTab has all that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Perhaps because my needs are limited to text formatting, I have no dislikes Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

My needs are simple Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IT Troubleshooter for Small Business and Home Computer Users
Computer Hardware
What do you like best?

With so many people SHOUTING, the change sentence case function is a really handy feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't really say anything negative about this program. Perhaps the lack of colour coding in html text is an extra that could be added, unless I have missed it and it is there already! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have multiple text documents open and import text from a multitude of formats. I can strip the text content from the formatting swiftly with NoteTab Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Katie Cullen Montgomerie of NoteTab

Thanks so much for your review, Jonathan! We really appreciate it.

- Katie @ Fookes Software