Nextcloud

Nextcloud offers file sync and share combining the convenience and ease of use of consumer-grade solutions like Dropbox and Google Drive with the security, privacy and control business needs.

Work for Nextcloud?

Learning about Nextcloud?

Nextcloud Reviews

Ask Nextcloud a Question
Showing 15 Nextcloud reviews
Brooklyn C.

"NextCloud Review"

What do you like best?

Licensing and pricing policies: all the official components of Nextcloud are both free as in freedom and as in free beer. You pay only for support and update services. That's not the case with ownCloud.

Long-term roadmap: at the moment, ownCloud seems to be more focused on corporate customers and more relevant for investors, while Nextcloud seems to be more focused on extending "direct" user-to-user communication and cooperation features.

Security: Nextcloud refuses continuous (that is, malicious) attempts to authenticate from any computer, except those whose IP addresses are included in "brute-force IP whitelists". (Of course, the best possible whitelist you can configure is an empty one.)

What do you dislike?

There are some cons of using Next Cloud that are worth mentioning. You (usually, but not necessarily) have to self host, which also means implementing and owning your own backup policy. In addition, sometimes upgrades break if you have lots of apps enabled. This is also more frustrating as sometimes the web interface can be a bit slow on some systems, especially on one of the Arm boxes I use. I run into problems with the web interface not loading data e.g. list of users, but loading the menu, top bar, and footer.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

In its simplest form, the Nextcloud server is "just" a personal, free software alternative to services like Dropbox or iCloud. You can set it up so your files are always accessible via the internet, from wherever you are, and share them with your friends. However, Nextcloud can do so much more. I highly recommend it for all considering some type of secure, yet user friendly storage software.

Enhanced storage of files in a safe and secure manner

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Nextcloud
Thomas S.

"Nextcloud ... it's your next pain."

What do you like best?

It's open source and looks great. The features looks good.

What do you dislike?

We have spent more than two days to try to get it running:

1) We have used the Ubunu snap setup

It was great: we could immediately log in.

The configuration was the 1st pain:

snap has only has a very rudimentary documentation. Just try to find the Apache directory and try to change a mariadb, apache or nextcloud property. We either were not able the right property name (missing docs) or we were in the readonly snap directory.

There are hacks to mount snap direcotries so we can write - but we're pretty sure our settings will be lost with the next update.

2) Manual Linux installation

Nextcloud has godd looking but useless docs: you will not find a simple step by step setup doc for e.g. the latest Ubuntu Server. The end? Use google to find 2rd party tutorials. Most will not work with an up to date OS like the latest Ubuntu. Some tutorials work nice, but you will get a very old, not supported Nextcloud V13. Update? Read the next chapter.

3) Update

This is a real shame. The step by step instructions do not work, if you spend 1h and use google, you can get it running.

Of course, the 1st attempt fails, because you probably will upgrade from version 13 to 15. The Docs do not mention that its not possible to skip one version. Restore the backup, start from beginning. The tutorial talks about executing a phar file - which does not exist. Google solves the problem.

After 2h try and error, you finally get "success!".

As soon as we open the website, we get: Internal Server Error

"Check the log file", they write - but the do not mention the path to them. /var/log/nextcloud does not exists.

We spend some hours fixing well-known errors, unfortunately, the solution is not documented. Google is your friend: fix the 1st error, restart apache, google for the next error, restart apache, google for the next error, …

Once, Nextcloud displayed an explicit error on the login page and a non-clickable URL to solve the issue. Copy / Paste the URL - and guess what? "Page not found"

Nextcloud was our last pain.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Wait 2 years.

We werenot able to get Nextcloud up and running stable.

What Cloud Migration solution do you use?

AC

"Self hosted Google Docs? Sign me up!"

What do you like best?

I love that Nextcloud allows me to have very Google Docs/Calendar/Drive like functionality that can be completely self-hosted. I have concerns about the privacy of my data and this helps me to feel better about who is controlling my data (me). I also like how active the community is and how easy it is to find answers to my questions. The community support that I've seen has been really great and I'm glad to be using software that has such a thriving community. Finally, I love love love how many apps there are for Nextcloud. There's a great feed reader app, an e-mail client, several calendar apps, and all sorts of other apps that make this a great groupware solution for personal/SMB users.

What do you dislike?

The thing that I dislike the most is the fact that updates tend to break my install. I don't know if this is because my hosting provider has some controls in place that block part of the update or what. I don't know that I would have these issues if I had Nextcloud hosted on my own server, but whatever the reason is, all of my updates have been rough. Now when I want to update, I just back up my data, build from scratch, and reconfigure everything. It takes more time, but I have the benefit of not having to worry about a broken install.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need a groupware solution for personal use or for an SMB, please consider Nextcloud. It's wonderful software that provides a lot of functionality and can make your personal intranet or SMB look years ahead of the competition.

This is a great groupware solution. If you don't have an Intranet, or you don't subscribe to services such as Office 365, or gSuite, this can solve a lot of problems for you. It provides great collaboration and groupware functionality that is really easy to use and administer.

AI

"The Onsite, offsite file server with so so much more"

What do you like best?

Nextcloud even at the unpaid level has a huge number of very useful features which link into both desktop and mobile really well, making working while in or out of the office and syncing important files something you never have to think about. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

What do you dislike?

The Docker resources are slow to update which is a shame as the new features look great

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Start with the ease of backing up files, and expand to the access off site, add a sprinkle of ToTP (2FA) and enable auditing. Once they have got the hand of this, then add a few extra plugins, then wow them with the video conferencing. Have the whole thing linked to AD and you're good to go in less than a day

Providing access to file historically needs VPN's, VPN clients, in some cases BYOD and support, Next cloud provided a central file hub, with GDPR auditing and building on that, provided a good communications replacement.

UT
User in Telecommunications

"Solid cloud storage and team sharing"

What do you like best?

My sales team teleworks a lot. We are even slip in between two main cities, making real-time file sharing a must. Nextcloud has shown to be a great platform, and has responded with the right features every time we would need more space or further features. Powerful and simple cloud storage for small and medium enterprises.

What do you dislike?

Migrating files and working with big teams that are on-line 8x5 can be tricky. It is essential to make changes and big uploads on an out-of-hours schedule. We're still trying to find some files that went missing on out last big migration.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are currently working with storage at a LAN level, forget about it! Try out Nexcloud and forget about the danger and risks of storing locally and working remotly.

Real-time file updating. Inside sales follow-up. New Account Managers have fast access to newly assinged accounts. Documentation processes are way simpler!

Felipe R.

"Nice service of cloud"

What do you like best?

I am using right now at work. It's the "official" service of cloud that all employees are using. I like because all default files and programs of company is there. Good limit of storage

What do you dislike?

Isn't all employees using the service right now

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try to synchronize in desktop version. Create a folder in your desktop synchronized.

Transfer files is too easy right now, you just need to upload what you want to the cloud. I can open all my files at any sector of the company

Samuli V.

"Great self hosted Cloud"

What do you like best?

Available everywhere and with every device. Nice integration to LDAP authentication and groups. Really easy to add needed enhancements. Good variety of enhancements available. Works nicely with Zimbra as authentication backend (LDAP).

What do you dislike?

Sometimes mobile connection fails. Don't know if it's Nextcloud or network issue. After upgrading to 14, lost ZimbraDrive. Hoping to see it come back soon.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Easy to implement and customize. Easy to add plugins/3rd party additions.

I wanted to have all data to myself and have possibility to enhance the behaviour. Needed the place to share our Lions Clubs data and notes.

"Best Cloud Software out there"

What do you like best?

Handles all my storage for files and photos. I can access my stuff from anywhere, mobile, work PC, home, tablets, etc. Replaces Apple Music Match and iCloud storage. No increased fixed cost with increased storage. I said good bye to storage full messages.I can just add another disk in my home server.

With my fiber internet 100Mbps Upload I have a great speed from anywhere.

What do you dislike?

Takes time to set up. You need to be a techy and not be scared of Linux to set it up correctly. The tutorials to actually help with your configuration are all over the place in the internet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for it, it's the best thing I did last year. I'm extremely happy to have my own server. I first tried a off the shelf NAS but that was too slow. This is excellent.

Personal cloud, not exposed to marketing abuse as Google, Amazon and others would do. Privacy and no storage limits.

"Private and simple storage cloud solution"

What do you like best?

Nextcloud let us centralize key documentation for our sales team. When working with big projects that include several departments and lots of people, having quick access to our "mini private sotrage cloud" makes a big difference in our daily work lfe. Forget about Dropbox and go for a open-source private environment!

What do you dislike?

The front end could be more polished. Drag and drop could be improved. Furthermore, the Windows client doesn´t let you handle files and it is just for sync purporses. Cannot connect to Windows as a network unit (This would be a major plus, as it would work as a NAS). Still, it doesn't get to function as a sort of "Google Drive". Updating can be kind of tricky.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are not looking for a wow-factor, and simple, real-time file sharing, Nextcloud can be the way to go. Try it out, as it can be of easy implementation and it is pretty well priced as well. Furthermore, it is 100% open source!

When dealing with multi-party projects, access to the deal's informations is key. By centralizing all of our sales process docs within Nextcloud we've improved the way out teamwork flows.

Ethan R.

"Cloud Made Easy"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to implement cloud services through Nextcloud. We’re able to host it on our own servers as well.

What do you dislike?

I don’t like the options available to me in terms of apps that can be installed. Productivity isn’t the best.

We’ve solved the need for a centralized cloud system and I have realized the application benefits that follow.

"Peut convenir sous certaines conditions."

What do you like best?

Son accessibilité, le fait que ce soit un logiciel libre.

Il fait son job principal, c'est à dire synchroniser différentes données, depuis divers appareils principalement mobile, sur 1 ou plusieurs serveurs.

Il est surement en phase permanente de développement et il peut s'avérer très pertinent à l'usage dans un avenir proche.

What do you dislike?

En remplacement d'un autre concurrent, une équipe nous a contacté pour que nous utilisions ce service dans notre réseau informatique pour faciliter le partage d'informations.

Nous en ressortons plutôt sceptique, ne savant pas vraiment quoi en penser au fur et à mesure de l'utilisation du produit au sein de nos services.

Autre point, le service demande des machines informatique performantes, il utilise beaucoup de la puissance de la machine, ce qui peut être une contrainte pour une société qui ne bénéficie pas d'un parc informatique performant.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Etant un logiciel à accès libre, il peut etre une alternative à des sociétés qui ne souhaitent pas investir dans de lourds programmes équivalents.

Cependant attention à bien vérifier avec le personnel qui l'utilisera que tout le monde comprend son fonctionnement dans le détail, sous peine de perdre plus de temps à expliquer et ré expliquer certaines fonctionnalités.

Des bénéfices plutôt maigre, car les différents utilisateurs au sein du service de la rédaction n'ont pas tous aimé son ergonomie, son interface ou alors son utilisation au quotidien.

D'autres ont vraiment aimé le côté "logiciel libre" et donc sans contrainte comme d'autres gros acteurs du marché.

Donc il est compliqué pour nous de ressortir de vrais bénéfices.

FRAN N.

"To consolidate the connection strategies we depend on good tools. "

What do you like best?

Quality technical support, supply tools for editing, download and activation in first-class mobile electronic devices. Simply a tool that adapts very well to the network.

What do you dislike?

The tool is very difficult to use in some aspects especially on mobile devices.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

In this time we must maintain the quality of our services with the best existing tools. It is necessary to have on hand those that best suit and our budget.

We integrated our work platform with Nextcloud to optimize connectivity.

Jason M.

"Excellent Cloud Solution"

What do you like best?

Feature-complete cloud on my own hosting. PIM tools. Good LDAP integration. Desktop clients.

What do you dislike?

You need to host and administrate it yourself for it to be free.

Easy to run multiple instances.

UF

"Good for sharing docs"

What do you like best?

Easy to share documents via email, links, or by adding them to a shared file/folder. It is easy to access. Safe way to share internal documents, powerpoints, videos, etc.

What do you dislike?

Limited collaboration options. Not the prettiest or most functional UI.

Secure and safe cloud based sharing platform. Easier to have all documentation and information on one centralized platform.

"Sufficient Storage "

What do you like best?

Nextcloud is easy to navigate and control. It's simple software.

What do you dislike?

You used to be able to edit documents within the server, however, now you have to download and reupload. It also doesn't show you when the document was last uploaded, or by who.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a great tool for storage of all files. You can restrict particular files/folders to any users.

Organization and storage of all files.. has eliminated a lot of paper. It's also easier to protect information storing on secure servers rather than on individual computers.

Learning about Nextcloud?

* We monitor all Nextcloud reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.