Mura Reviews & Product Details

AM
What do you like best?

It is easy to customize Mura to fit the needs of your company. You can easily extend or connect it to an external API to render pages based on the result of an AJAX request. I was very surprised I could do that and pair it with query strings to get exactly what you want displayed on a page an it took me only one afternoon to accomplish. Also, the fact that I can put cfml code in my templates is simply awesome. I am not a Cold Fusion developer, but I got that done pretty fast. Mura's SEO capability is also pretty good. I got a customer's site to easily show on first in all search engines using the SEO stuff in Mura. Good work! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The text editor has been improved a lot, but CK Editor already had its days. It would be great to switch to something that's React based. I would also love to have database bindings for SQLite. I also still can't figure out how to use Mura's API features to return the page body using an AJAX request. I wish there was a feature that allowed me to embed components into a theme. The only way to do this now is probably with a site bundle. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you never used Cold Fusion, learn a little bit of it first, as well as Tomcat and Lucee. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I run a non-profit website and one customer website with Mura. SEO is really great! I was very unhappy when my organization decided to switch to Mura, but at that point we had static websites still made with FrontPage, but over the years, Mura grew on me. I like it much more now, so much that I use it for freelance projects as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mura Overview

What is Mura?

Mura is a content and experience platform created to empower. use.ability Drag and drop layouts, form builder, and one-click rollback enable worry-free content publishing. manage.ability Multi-site support and configurable permissions make granting access safe, secure, and simple. control.ability Maintain compliance standards with flexible workflows that keep productivity moving. adapt.ability Increase sales velocity and create your ideal customer with content personalization. measure.ability Built-in analytics prove content contribution to ROI and identify opportunities to improve. market.ability Create content hubs, landing pages, gated content, and calls to action—all in one platform. extend.ability Mura integrates seamlessly with other platforms so you can create your perfect stack. scale.ability Mura meets the needs of the enterprise, in our cloud or yours. Mura | own.ability

Mura Details
Discussions
Mura Community
Arabic, German, English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Chinese (Simplified)

Digital Experience Platform

Mura is...

Easy like Wordpress, but without the overhead and security risk.
Flexible like Drupal, but without the complexity.
Robust like Adobe Experience Manager, but without the bloat.
Headless like Contentful, but great for non-technical users

Blue River Interactive Group
2004
Sacramento, CA
@blueriver
755 Twitter followers
Answer a few questions to help the Mura community
Have you used Mura before?

Mura Reviews

Showing 79 Mura reviews
Already have Mura?
Senior Full Stack Web Developer
Internet
What do you like best?

The usability and easiness of using Mura CMS, as well as all the functionality that comes out-of-the-box. All of my clients that use Mura CMS to maintain their website have no issue getting used to the administrator interface and I therefor have very little work supporting them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is only a limited amount of themes and plugins available on the market. But since it's so easy to create your own or to convert an Bootstrap theme, you can get around this very easily. The same counts for the plugins. Nearly everything you might need is already available out-of-the-box and if not, Mura CMS is easily extendable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Mura CMS is a great CMS to use for custom site development. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've bootstrapped a lot of websites very quickly with Mura CMS. And the great thing is that, once the sites get bigger, Mura CMS keeps a perfect solution to work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IT Manager/Web Developer
What do you like best?

Mura CMS has a great feature set and is very easy to customize to meet site requirements. It has a long history and is about to release version 7. The development team behind the product is fantastic and eager to help potential developers and users of the platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

As it is CFML-based, it does not have the adoption rate of some other CMS's available. This limits the plugins that exist in the wild when compared to other platforms such as Wordpress and Drupal. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to use either Adobe Coldfusion or Lucee, Mura CMS is one of the best options for a CMS framework. It is used by many and has strong user support and also has a strong development track record. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Mura CMS to run a large non-profit website that features many different types of content, forms and e-commerce capabilities. Mura has added features over time and allowed us to provide more functionality for our staff and end users. We have also worked with the developers, Blue River Interactive, on a responsive theme for our site and they were a pleasure to work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

As a marketing professional, I want a website that looks clean, user-friendly and professional. However, I don't want to spend time on coding or development. Mura removes the burden of learning the technical skills and allows me to focus on what I do best. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would've liked if there were help resources available: tutorials, tips for optimization, best practices, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Mura is a cost effective alternative to other software platforms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Before switching to Mura, our team ran into difficulties being able to easily and seamlessly add content to our website due to coding and technical restrictions. The Mura platform allows our team of marketing professionals to act more autonomously. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Global SEO/Digital Marketing Program Manager
What do you like best?

Stability and performance are usually top notch. Ease of use is also high. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The new licensing model makes it impossible to maintain, moving from open source to a very steep licensing model forces us to rebuild our running sites on a different CMS and spending quite a bit of money on the migration as we cannot offer our customers a CMS that doesn't get security updates anymore Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Simple and complex websites for our customers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The things I like about this program is that is a versatile tool for content management solution and a cloud-based web hosting with providers like Amazon ready to be used right out of the box, allowing small and large industries to use it for running and manage websites without any issues. It offers a centralized platform for users to automate events, tasks, it has a safe development environment allowing the user to make quick fixes, improvements of functionalities and daily backups of the website. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are not many bad things you can say about the software, it is very intuitive and easy to understand and quickly jump into it, ion top of that it provides not only a solution for web hosting but as an educational and training platform for web developers. But like any cloud hosting-based software, they present their limitations in terms of the resources present in the purchased plan you choose. Customization is somewhat limited since you don't have an extensive palette of templates, at least for the basic plans. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

With Mura you will be able to create nice looking websites with multiple features depending on your personal taste, given its great potential as a content management system. It's a software very intuitive and easy to use for any user regardless of its technical knowledge, in addition to that it has an excellent communication channel to inform and ask for help to any issues along the way. Overall, the experience I had with Mura CMS is very satisfying, I'm so happy with it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mura CMS has greatly facilitated the programming part since i am not skilled enough with coding, it also has giving me the ease of choosing what i want to use on my page, extra features that I would want to add to stand out over the other blogs and generate more visitors, which is so important as a blogger. All this is so practical if you need to create a website to let's for a project that you want to develop and not having the time to spend in a course of months in order to obtain the minimum knowledge to program a website by yourself. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director of Marketing
What do you like best?

Mura has allowed us to quickly update content on the fly and build new pages in hours instead of weeks. One thing that my team enjoys using is the change-set feature. This has allowed us to create temporary changes to the website that are easy to roll-back. It seems the sky is the limit with Mura in terms of your creativity and your vision. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Our implementation was bumpy as we transitioned from our old platforms to Mura. We made our deadline but my team had to put in a lot of extra work that we were not planning on to get there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ownership and control over our website. Ability to make quick changes. Personalization and ABM experiences. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

Onboarding team helps to make sure you know how to use the software and are set up for success. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are no outside Mura "how to" materials. If I have an issue, I have to go to support - the team is super helpful I just sometimes wish I could refer to materials for smaller questions rather than have to reach out to the team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our last website was hard-coded and required a developer if we wanted to make any changes or build any new pages. Now, as a Marketer, I am able to build out new content myself! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing Director
What do you like best?

In our work every client needs a customised CMS, one that specifically performs the transactional integration that the business needs to operate ... whilst at the same time providing rock solid web content functionality. MuraCMS has been crafted to allow developers to leverage off a solid foundation using plugins. Mura's structure is elegant allowing complex web applications to be built on top of its already highly functional core. We also love Mura for its stability. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is very little to call out about Mura. It's open source, has a strong community behind it and moves with the times. Yes, there's a learning curve to become expert in how to best customise output, use iterators effectively, but that's all worth it when applied across multiple business challenges. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for a rapid application development platform for a bespoke CMS solution, do not dismiss the MuraCMS and Lucee server solution. It's fast and stable, elegant in its design, modern in its adoption of new UI elements and functionality and easily extended. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mura CMS has allowed us to provide robust supply chain solutions with extranet capability built in for retailers, manufacturers and suppliers. We've also delivered subscription based functionality, again using extranet toolset that's built into the Mura core. The benefit of using Mura has allowed us to focus on the specialisation needed to meet project requirements. Using Mura has relieved us of the worry about trusting things like security and approval workflows, we mostly used these 'out of the box' with little or no modification. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

MURA is highly customizable CMS, although a strong knowledge of HTML, CSS, and ColdFusion is beneficial. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Lack of quality plugins can be frustrating. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We replaced our entire website with MURA. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Programmer
What do you like best?

So many CMSs and web based requirements are already baked into Mura. It is a strong CMS base that has endless possibilities. I have yet to say, "Mura can't do that." Though it has a base in ColdFusion, it can be completely used without any CFML. It has a strong API that allows you to use Mura anyway you want! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It isn't what I dislike about Mura, it is that I dislike that more people have not embraced Mura. This largely is not Mura's fault. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Even if Mura and Coldfusion is new to you, I say just jump in. BlueRiver is great to work with, Mura is a great product, and Coldfusion lets a developer code faster and with less resources (lines of code). Even if you don't want to use ColdFusion you can utilize the API to do what you want. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web CMS - Many people can manage the web content, technical and nontechnical alike.

App Base - custom apps can utilize the Mura core and API to expanded on top of it to do so many things. We use it for arrest records, media postings, product tracking, quiz taking, reporting, and so much more.

It really is what can't Mura do? If it can't do something, it can easily be customized to do it or used as a base. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Computer Specialist
What do you like best?

Мура нічого не важко використовувати і адаптувати. Я ціную роботу з нею тонну. У вас буде більшість апаратів, які вам можуть знадобитися, щоб максимально використати сайти, які ви повинні зробити для кожного клієнта. Фронтальні зміни та формати роблять його менш вимогливим, щоб отримати те, що вам потрібно від Мурa. Ви можете змінити все, як вам подобається, що є великим. Це також неймовірно стійкий, ніколи не розбитий. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Документація велика, але може бути краще. Визначення того, як виконувати деяку корисність часто вимагає просіювання через різні Як новий вихід з нового клієнта, я був в залежності від онлайнової документації і обговорення мережі google, щоб дізнатися, і я регулярно відчуваю труднощі знайти саме те, що Мені потрібно. Збори. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Мура робить нам простим перерахувати нашу історію поступово. Крім того, ми перенесли багато нашої речовини з зовнішніх напрямків (Flipbook, Eventbrite і т.д.) послідовно на наш сайт, роблячи зустрічі гостей нашого сайту більш розумними. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

CMS made easy with a interface that’s simple and user design that makes maintenance straightforward. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not much except the one time where we were launching something new onto the site and it was hours delayed in uploading. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Maintaining tourism site for state

Simple and straightforward for another agency or client to be able to take on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Senior Digital Solutions Architect
Internet
What do you like best?

Mura is an extremely flexible CMS and easy to customize to individual client business requirements. Mura comes with at least 90% of what I need for most of the B2B websites I create for clients. Mura provides its tool set and gets out of the way allowing the developer to be creative in the way they solve client challenges. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There really isn't much to dislike, the documentation is solid and has been a focus for the Blue River team with recent releases. Occasionally there is something that seems to be missing or needs clarification and that is where the community comes in. The Blue River team, especially Matt, Steve W. and Michael E., are regularly seen jumping in to quickly help users when there are questions regarding implementation of the latest features or those on the bleeding edge. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Install, read and refer to the documentation and ask questions on the Slack channel or Google Group. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I use Mura on a daily basis for all websites I create and maintain unless the client specifically dictates another platform. Mura allows me to quickly develop and deploy new or redesigned websites for clients and give them a way to manage their content in an intuitive way using the backend content management tools or the frontend layout manager & editor. I have used Mura for simple brochure-like websites, complex user/community-based review sites with thousands of products and tens of thousands of users as well as large business to business multi-lingual websites. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AT
What do you like best?

Mura is great out of the box but it is also easily extendable. Even without code you can do a lot. With coding you do almost anything building off easy to use content management tool for even the most technically illiterate. You can even build an application in and language and call content through it's API. There has been nothing I couldn't make it do. It's even Docker/container ready. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Restricting content and managing users can be a little cumbersome, but it is a minor annoyance. However easily fixed by integrating with AD or Saml pretty easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

All my company's public web properties use Mura so the business can maintain content without the need for technical support. We build to enforce the brand so they don't have to worry about it. For our Java applications they can pull content from Mura remotely without needing to build content management into their application at all.

We even have aMura application to setup redirects like bit.ly and manage maintenance/outage pages. This reduced thousands of network redirects that were difficult and costly to manage in the routers.

When someone here needs something quick Mura is normally where they go first. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

Mura has core features that other CMS systems require extensive plugin installation to compare with, it's completely free, and also offers robust end-user training for those of us that are not technically savvy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Difficulty in finding pre-constructed themes like other CMS systems which requires extensive internal development of themes and customizations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ensure you have adequate internal resources to install ColdFusion which is an older technology from Adobe that many developers and web hosts no longer support Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mura doesn't look or feel like a standard CMS for our clients, they feel as though they are using a customized website that is purpose-built for their needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Sean Schroeder of Mura

Jerre, thanks very much for the very kind words. Just wanted to add a quick clarification for you and anyone who may read your review.

Many folks do think of ColdFusion as an older technology (or more accurately CFML, a modern Java scripting language), but what they often don't know is that it's not only modern, but in active development with a thriving community.

In addition, there's a great CFML alternative to Adobe's ColdFusion in Lucee, which is deployable in any Java environment.

Not that it matters all that much these days anyway. With the advent of containerization (such as Docker), API-led development and great Javascript frameworks, the language an app is written in is far less important than it was in years past.

Again, thanks for the very nice review. We love that your clients feel like they're using a purpose-built solution. You're clearly doing things right. Well done!

UT
What do you like best?

The realistic finished results in order to people feel it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing specific, keep on growing and doing a good job! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Yo better show what I want to transmit in trendy and fashion Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

It works really well for me as a teacher to manage the classroom site in this technology age! In particular it is great how the website can be modified to display in different languages which is particularly useful for those EAL students and parents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be challenging at first to use for the technology novice amongst us. I had to have lots of help from the IT guys at school to get it to do what I wanted. Though once it is on, it is a really smooth process! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is useful for educators everywhere who are wanting to become involved in the classroom with technology in mind. Just can be time consumning at first to get used to it, so set aside plenty of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing to display classroom information in multiple languages, use of the event registration sign up for parents' evening and trips, text message notification as reminders for parents with outstanding requests. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Mura is very simple to use yet super powerful. The fact that we can use an unlimited number of sites with a single Mura installation is a must that allows us to host many language versions of the same site very easily.

What I like the most in Mura is the comprehensiveness of the feature set. It means that we need very few plugins (if any at all) to run exactly the site we need, which makes updating the system a breeze.

The front-end editing capabilities are of great help to author our pages and blog post directly in the context into which they will be viewed.

The content staging feature allows us to work on a set of pages and to test them out extensively before going live. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Mura is written in CFML, which is both its strength and its weakness. CFML is one of the best language for developing a dynamic website, but the CFML community is quite small and the language adoption is far from doing justice to the awesomeness of the language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have used the amazing Display Objects to develop our own training video hosting application on top of Mura, and we have more developments in mind. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UO
What do you like best?

Mura is simple and easy to use for all content editing and developing needs. You will have all of the tools that you might need in order to make the best out of the websites that you need to create for each client. Front-end editing and templates make it easier to get what you need from Mura. You can even get great results without necessarily being code-savvy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There’s not really much to dislike. If you come across any issues, the documentation and Support are always on hand to assist. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mura allowed me to quickly design and develop websites and content for clients and give them a way to manage their sites in an easy and simple way with the front and back end management tools. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Personal Assistant to CEO
Outsourcing/Offshoring
What do you like best?

The ease of the programme that allows us to map our customer journeys through each service. Also the alert service that tells us when our performance isnt as it should be. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing as yet, keep up the good work... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a very good piece of kit that will improve the way your business runs massively. Will continue to use and will let people know about it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Time saved using the diagnostic capabilities to identify root-cause down to the individual line of code Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Associate Provost for Instructional Innovation
Higher Education
What do you like best?

I'm an experienced ColdFusion developer who was looking for a CMS that would support a fairly large site with a number of editors. I've been impressed with the ease of designing and developing the site, the tools for creating users and groups and assigning permissions, and the ease of integrating files into the overall site. We're developing a new site for the WAC Clearinghouse (https://wac.colostate.edu), which provides open-access publications such as books and scholarly journals. We have a few thousand PDF files. I was able to link to these files easily using some virtual directories. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not much. It can be difficult to move from relying fully on CFML and scripting, but that's to be expected with a CMS. One great thing: I'm able to make calls to our databases (we use both MySQL and SQLServer) using display objects, which can be integrated easily into a page. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I wanted to be able to shift the workload to a larger group of editors and reviewers. This is working extremely well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Web Applications Developer (IT Analyst II)
Law Enforcement
What do you like best?

I enjoyed the easy-to-use interface and the ease of creating components. I found it easy to customize my pages and pull from my database using the interface. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There wasn't anything in particular that stood out as a dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were able to build websites for different branches of our company that had managers with no web developer experience. Those managers were then able to make updates to key pages of their site without our further intervention. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It's very easy and intuitive to use and build sites with Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at the moment as it's early days Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I highly recommend this platform Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

N/A Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easily allows for custom design and provides so much functionality built in where other CMSs need to install modules and plug-ins. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Hard to find Mura developers, even though ColdFusionML is a great language and Lucee is super, fast most people are not willing to learn ColdFusion. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have not found a problem that Mura and a little custom code can't solve Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.