Microsoft SharePoint Reviews & Product Details

Microsoft SharePoint Overview

What is Microsoft SharePoint?

Compliance Everywhere. Manage versions, apply retention schedules, declare records, and place legal holds, whether you're dealing with traditional content, Web content, or social content.

Microsoft SharePoint Details

With SharePoint you can manage versions, apply retention schedules, declare records, and place legal holds, whether you're dealing with traditional content, Web content.

Microsoft
@Microsoft
9,300,495 Twitter followers
193,766 employees on LinkedIn®
Description

Microsoft Corporation develops, licenses, and supports software products and services; and designs and sells hardware worldwide. Flagship products include Windows, Office, Azure, SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint, Dynamics ERP and CRM, as well as Xbox; Skype; and Windows Phone.

Microsoft SharePoint Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Microsoft SharePoint community
Have you used Microsoft SharePoint before?

Microsoft SharePoint Reviews

Showing 135 Microsoft SharePoint reviews
Ratings (1)
Already have Microsoft SharePoint?
UN
What do you like best?

It is a great attempt at completely cloud-based shared document creation, editing, and storage. It does most of what we need it to do, it's just that I can't trust it to do everything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do not fully trust the system in the areas of data migration, shared editing, or version control. I have had issues with version control when developing complex documents involving multiple team editors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We do all of our cloud-based file management with Sharepoint. We have experienced problems with data migration. Also the various ways of viewing document folders and portals are confusing and not very intuitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Digital Concept & Creative Manager
What do you like best?

The ability to create folders and upload a bunch of assets. Being able to share certain folders with selected people. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The rest. No without joking, it really is slow. It is often hard to integrate. Sharing with people outside an organization is also a thing that causes issues a lot, especially if your not the admin. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Find something else. Go for Dropbox. Especially if you use a lot of visuals and/or work a lot with creative tools and external vendors and partners. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Storing shared files. But no benefits coming from this, Dropbox is simply the better alternative to using Sharepoint. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Open Discussions in Microsoft SharePoint
What do you like best?

The ability to share live documents with other people. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The fact that if someone is working on the document, you can't work on it at the same time.

The inability to work live on a document if it's too big.

The navigation within the folders is very complicated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make it easier to use and able to handle larger files seamlessly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have shared excel sheets that we all need to provide input too.

Sharepoint helped that I can add to the latest version of the files without worrying about the existence of some other version I might be missing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It _sort of_ gets the job done. You can post some documents to share with your colleagues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's so old, crusty, and unreliable!

It's really, really difficult to find the content I want. If I go to mycompany.sharepoint.com, it gives me a "Access required" error. If I ask for access there, it apparently goes into a black hole. I have to remember to go to some really long, incomprehensible URL like https://mycompany.sharepoint.com/sites/Sharepoint-MyCompany/Library/Forms/AllItems.aspx.

Uploading and downloading files frequently fails... I think their zipping/upzipping feature is buggy.

All of the competitors I've seen (Google Drive, Dropbox) do a better job of SharePoint. I think the only reason it's so popular is that IT administrators get it bundled with Windows, Outlook, etc. If it had to compete on its own I don't think very many companies would want to pay separately for it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sharing files (documents, PPT, etc.) with coworkers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

I liked how easy it was update pages on the SharePoint page. It was easy to create pages and deleted page. It was also easy to collaborate with other peers and have a central repository for teams to find the true gold copy. There were also very good restrictions and privacy tools that were easily put into place that enabled pages to stay private for high confidential information. I also liked the version control that SharePoint has.

I also liked the survey abilities in the tool as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

One thing that was a big problem with SharePoint is the ability to see metrics on the pages such as page views, engagement with certain widgets, number of visitors per day, etc. When our company upgraded our SharePoint version, the ability to see metrics was completely loss and thus why we stopped using SharePoint.

The downfall of SharePoint at out company is that people created a SharePoint page for everything and a lot of pages would go stale.

Another downfall of the tool were the updates made to the tool such as new widgets. Our staff did not have time/ or resisted to learn how to use the new widgets. It started to feel like there were too many new widgets when they should have just kept it simple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We found that SharePoint helped our teams collaborate better and also have a one source of truth for the final gold copy. Before that, all of our documents were saved on desktops or shared drives and there was never any version control. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Family Support Specialist
Non-Profit Organization Management
What do you like best?

The only thing i like about SharePoint is that you can share so much information with so m any people and its protected. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

What i dont like is that its difficult to use. Its confusing and with so much information on there its hard to find what youre looking for. It also doesnt send you a notification that someone share information with you and that you have to ask for access to a file that was shared with you . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We were able to share alot of sensitive information thru this portal and communicate with different counties. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Educator
What do you like best?

There is very little I like about SharePoint. About the only saving grace here is that you can share documents within your organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Where do I begin? First, SharePoint is notorious for constantly signing me out throughout the day, even when I’m using it. This means, when I upload a document, it says that a “guest user” uploaded it, not me. There is, of course, no way to fix this later. I can’t even delete it. Second, it is extremely difficult to find the files or folders I am looking for when I need them. With so many people using SharePoint in our organization, the files and folders get really disorganized. If I don’t have a direct link, I might spend several hours looking for something that I need. I usually just give up. Lastly, if someone does not download a document first, He or she may change the document for the entire organization. The person who uploaded it will then have to upload it again. This is absolute insanity and wasted a lot of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Beware! Product is very touchy, difficult to use, and not user friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

In theory, we are supposed to share documents that the entire organization needs. Unfortunately, so many people make mistakes by not downloading files first, or we can’t find the file, it wasts time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Mobile Technology Manager
Wholesale
What do you like best?

There isn't really much I like about Sharepoint. Its clunky, hard to use, and not very easy to manage. It has actually made things more difficult for our department as we are constantly trying to do things one way, but our IT department wants us to use SharePoint. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like the interface - it's hard to navigate and quite frankly, ugly. The form creation tools leave much to be desired as the widgets don't exactly match what we need them to do and hiring a specialized programmer is usually not in our budget. The security and administration is a nightmare as well and we are constantly getting complaints that our users can't access what they need to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be prepared to pull your hair out if you don't hire experts to implement and keep this tool running. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It's basically a giant file repository right now. Holds our HR, IT and Business documents in the cloud so we can all get to them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It stores our files. That is about it. There is nothing spectacular about it and there are often issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is ALWAYS an issue. It deletes files. You can't usually have spreadsheets keep up in real time. We have to use the web editing software to edit files that multiple people use or it won't save all edits. The calendar function ALWAYS has problems. There are so many barriers with sharing files with people not in our organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

DO YOUR RESEARCH. If it is just for file storage, you MIGHT be ok, but there are a lot of problems and files go missing frequently. If you are a large company please know that there will be issues filing, saving, and utilizing documents. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We're not - we're solving problems CREATED by sharepoint. No benefits. We are hoping to find a better solution than sharepoint. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It certainly looks clean. Smooth lines and good use of whitespace. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Filepaths and navigation are unintuitive. There seem to be several links of each page which appear as if they should lead to the same thing but lead to several slightly-differently named things. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None to speak of. It was adopted as a replacement to an old CMS but we are quickly realising that as it’s still mostly controlled on the Microsoft end, it’s not really fit for purpose. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It’s fine for sharing and organising files for use across the company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be very confusing to start using, and managing permissions (such as who has access to specific files or folders, and whether you have view or edit rights) seems unnecessary complicated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It helps my team share and store files to access from different locations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UB
What do you like best?

Unfortunately not much if anything at all Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The interface and the ability to upload to Sharepoint is prehistoric. The platform looks like something from the 90s which is very disappointing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

to have a central repository for storage of documents and files. The benefit is that we have a central repository for storage but unfortunately we are locked into using Sharepoint now Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UG
What do you like best?

The desktop user interface is pretty practical and easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes there is duplication of files if you are looking at content online and on your desktop. Once a O365 document is saved in Sharepoint it is set to auto-save by default. This can sometimes cause workflow issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sharing documents with others is very easy. It is easier to share documents with a select number of people. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AD
What do you like best?

When I can use anything else other than Sharepoint. It's nice that it's somewhat integrated with the rest of the Microsoft suite, but it's still a load of trash. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Literally everything. It's the tool that people who have no technical expertise recommend as the lowest common denominator to sharing information. I think the most difficult part of Sharepoint is the fact that it's very easy to make things inaccessible due to permissioning. Also, the search sucks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Do you need to keep a file for records somewhere? Throw it into the void that is SharePoint! It may not be the problem of the software itself, but more of the implementation and ongoing daily usage. People use Sharepoint as a garbage bin, as a nonstop vault for the smallest version tweaks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It's a location for the whole company to upload documents and view. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Navigation is incredibly difficult. Icons have different links, for example if I click the image to view a certain section, it takes me to a different page if I click the link instead. I'm not the only having the same issue, the whole company always has a hard time locating documents that have been uploaded. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Bookmark any page you use often, because it's difficult to find pages afterwards. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Sharing documents with the whole company to access. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UL
What do you like best?

If I had to admit one thing I liked about Sharepoint, it would be the ability to work in full-feature Excel docs online and have those sync to the groups the document is shared with. Google Sheets is a great tool but lacks the robustness of Excel on Sharepoint. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

In our company, we call it "Un-Share-Point." Bad joke, but it is indicative of our strong feelings toward this awful software. It often does not sync or update, leading to conflicting data and out-of-date documents. It is also extremely hard to navigate. I often click through folders and then am lost in a maze of nesting files and cannot get back to the original file. I am sure I am not the only one who experiences this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Save yourself lots of headaches by using Google Docs/Sheets/Drive instead. Such a more transparent and user-friendly work flow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Currently we use it between our many remote sites to convey information and share documents. Each site has a dedicated sharepoint file that is meant to be updated in real-time. We use Sharepoint with Excel for budgets, P&L's, and other financial information on a monthly basis. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AP
What do you like best?

The ability to easily access from anywhere is helpful, but it stops about there. Storage space in the cloud is a little bit of a bonus also. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The biggest downside is the clunkiness. Microsoft left out a lot of things when they designed it. For instance, you can't drag and drop from Outlook into Sharepoint natively without an add on that costs money. How does that make sense?! Then security settings are less than intuitive. Has not been a good fit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't use it, not worth the institutional culture change. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We tried moving off shared folders into Sharepoint and we pulled off the project due to the issues we were having. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The content is all digital/online, which makes it easy to access from multiple sites Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The search function is very poor and it is hard to find documents on it . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

SharePoint allows for all resources to be housed in one place. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

Not really anything. Sharepoint is too bloated to even know where to begin... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

To be honest, I don't like anything about Sharepoint. Not one single thing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

My recommendation is to stay as far away as possible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

There are actually MORE problems created in trying to use Sharepoint than what it thinks it can solve. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Performance Measurement Analyst
Banking
What do you like best?

Ability to create library’s and company sites Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The platform is not user friendly and very old tec Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Uploading financial data and results Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

There aren't a lot of things I like about sharepoint, but if i had to choose one, it'll be how fast it'll sync files to my computer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The interface isn't very intuitive. Unlike google drive, the search functionality is super slow Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

file sharing and storage. I can easily access my files from different devices Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UN
What do you like best?

It’s nice to be able to share a document with different levels of permissions like requiring them to be in your organization, or turning off download or editing options. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Share point frustrates me daily. It is not intuitive or user friendly. If it’s doing something I don’t want it to do, it is very time consuming to find the settings or figure out how to correct the issue. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have mentioned everything above. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

I like that I have a place I can store my filez. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Once you place something in SharePoint it is hard to find Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Being able to share files with various people who are not necessarily in your organization. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I really haven't been able to figure much out with Sharepoint. It looks like it could be useful to share information with coworkers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly, I haven't figured out how to use sharepoint. A lot of the time when I try to open it up it has an error and I have to close it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have not yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

Maintaining a shared space for data and collaboration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Getting things done quickly and easily. Exporting and editing files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use Microsoft Forms if you are trying to conduct a survey. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Having a collaboration space and a place for a single source of truth. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.