Memrise Reviews & Product Details

What do you like best?

I recommend memrise to my students to develop language skills prior to taking them on service learning trips in foreign countries. I like that it uses multiple learning modalities (visual, auditory) to teach the languages offered. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't necessarily love the visual display and think it could be more interesting for students (pictures, etc.). I think there should be some consideration for accents and how that influences pronunciations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think Memrise is a great tool and cost-effective for helping students do basic level learning like memorizing (bottom of Bloom's learning taxonomy). I think that it is fairly easy to use. I have not yet had to reach out for any technical difficulties so I can't speak to any experience related to customer service or support. I also use Memrise for personal use to brush up on language that I will use when visiting family overseas. I like that there are other quizes in Memrise that students can use based on their interests. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I like that memrise has multiple language options and provides "scores" that motivates students to participate (wanting to outscore their fellow students). I think this is a fun, cost-effective way to help students learn content. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Memrise Overview

What is Memrise?

Memrise is a language learning app that is the opposite of textbook learning: it’s super enjoyable and incredibly effective. Download Memrise for Android, iPhone or tablets and start learning for free: - Choose over 20 official language courses created by expert linguists. - Learn the language that real native speakers use in everyday life. - Our smart learning engine tailors the course to match your performance, keeping you motivated and on track. - A variety of proven memory techniques help you learn fast and remember for longer. - Practice comprehension and pronunciation with different review sessions: Speed Review, Difficult Words, Pronunciation, Learn with Locals and new virtual Immersion videos (iOS only). - Download your course to get more learning into your day, wherever you are. Our 3-step natural approach to language acquisition focuses on learning the most useful words and phrases super quickly, immersing in native speaker audio and video clips to build your understanding in a real-world context, and building the confidence to start communicating in the language.

Memrise Details
Arabic, Danish, German, English, French, Hindi, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Vietnamese, Chinese (Simplified)

Memrise makes learning languages and vocab so full of joy and life, you’ll laugh out loud.

Memrise Ltd.
2010
London, United Kingdom
@memrise

Memrise Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Memrise community
Have you used Memrise before?

Memrise Reviews

Showing 12 Memrise reviews
Already have Memrise?
What do you like best?

I have my students use memrise in my foreign language classes for vocabulary homework. SInce I started using this app, my students have improved 150% in their retention of new vocabulary. The app is simple, straightforward, keeps track of everyone's progress, and uses the science of how we learn to ensure long-term retention of the material (as opposed to "cramming" material for a test or quiz). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Because Memrise does not allow you to assign sets of words and track individual student progress, I have had to create a work-around to ensure that my students use Memrise to study the assigned words each night. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it for yourself for a week. You'll never go back!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Students don't know how to study vocabulary on their own. Making lists and reading them is not a method of learning new vocabulary (despite what most of my students think). Memrise makes learning new vocabulary easy and effective. Not only do they learn what the words mean but the app also forces them to learn the spelling! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

PhD student
What do you like best?

It has the repetition of all words during all days, and it includes the pronunciation of the words and dictation of them, and it has the examples which can help us to memorize words more easier. Some examples allow me to make special codes to help me memorize them more easier and stay words in my mind for a long time. Furthermore, by connecting to my friends and creating the competition atmosphere, I am motivated to memorizing more and more words. The competitive air can really help me to work with memrise for many hours even at late night. In addition, it has the extensive variety of books and words. I can find everything in every level on memrise. Till now I use memrise in some fields such as Essential word for TOEFL, Barrons GRE word, 504 words, 1100 words. And it is so surprisingly that my little nephew who has just 6 years old saw my memrise application on my phone and insist to use the program, I have to install the program on his tablet and starting a simple course of English words. It is very hard for me to believe that he could work with it and memorize words by the correct pronunciations. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

some simple words repeat many times and it is boring for me Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

use memrise as usually as you can Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It really carves word in my brain for a long time Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Graduate Research Assistant
Higher Education
What do you like best?

The best part that i like with memrise education software is that you can study any course and also that you can tailor make the course that you wish to learn using any materials you have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The authenticity of the pre-available course are not verified. some course are very good and some need some improvement, This is the factor that need to be corrected in memrise Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The best software to learn new thing on the go. it has a performance streak to encourage you learn everyday. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problem solved by Memrise is the easy memory retained by repeated use of flash card and the metrics used by the memrise to encourage self evaluation is excellent. The specialty of memrise to repeat the words which are difficult are the plus point that i like the most. If you get paid version of memrise then your expertise level can be monitored and the course can be easily tailored to match and improve the parts which you are weaker. The memrise software also comes in a mobile app that helps to learn on the go. Be it a preparation for exams or remembering of formulas or training a new language memrise is the best tool that you can bet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Law Clerk
Higher Education
What do you like best?

I like Memrise because it was the first available language learning program that was interactive and that I could use on my iphone and was easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike is that it is a little disorganized. I mainly want to practice my Spanish but there are different lessons and some are better than the other so it's hard to know which one I should invest my time in. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You should try as many different lessons possible, because they are random so even if it says "Spanish Advanced" and "Advanced Spanish Course" they may be terribly different so just try all of them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The benefits I've realized from Memrise is that it's easy to do daily. Some apps you don't like to access because it'll take up to much time but you can fit in using this app daily because it is so easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UE
What do you like best?

You are able to learn new words and refresh your memory that challenges you. If you use the web based version you can also be tested on the clock for extra determination. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the amount of spelling you have to do, but its helpful. I also dislike that you dont have the choice to turn the clock off on the web based version. I often go to my phone and use the app to avoid the clock. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Stick with it, dont be irritated about the spelling, it will help you in the long run. Utilize both the phone app and the web based version. Do it with a friend and have a healthy competition. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I live overseas so it helps me talk to my local peers and co-workers. Its also good for team development as we all share in leaving the same language and compete with each other in the app. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Memrise is a great way to help you learn a foreign language and to keep track of your levels of learning. It's easy and fun to use, which makes it more likely that I'll want to go back and keep practicing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It would be great if there were more ways to customize the levels for more advance initial proficiency. Beyond that, the only thing I wish were true for the app were that it could be completely free. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Memrise helps our teachers offer more language practice for our students, without creating a large grading workload for homework assignments. The site/app also provides more buy-in because the interface is engaging and often has the feel of a game rather than work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Metadata Collections Specialist
Libraries
What do you like best?

Memrise organizes learning content in a logical way. There are reading, listening and speaking activities organized for you in ever-progressing units. It can be done at any time in the app and for however much time you want. Meaning, you can open the app and do one exercise, then close it and return later when you have time. Great for busy learners! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The full access version costs money. Users pay monthly or annually, or just choose the free version. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

This helps any professional that needs to learn the basics of a new language. If you do business internationally, this could help you with communicating. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

Language learners can work at their own pace. Young students find being online motivating. Really good for memorizing and providing differentiation for different skill levels. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It’s only for memorizing. There is no interaction. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Differentiation is critical to help level the playing field. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Artista grafico
Arts and Crafts
What do you like best?

Far the best app for learning i ever used, i am an active user and i bought the premium account for life which for the price is totally great.

You can learn a lot of courses from Memrise , also you can create your own courses.

The great thing is that is very user friendly and it's very funny to use, and the idea that peoples from every part of the world put their effort on it is beautiful , it's very community centered and funny with good background images.

Totally recommended! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes i can see that the app lunch some errors and is not totally well configured , but it's a minimum price to pay!

So , nothing in particular to dislike this app is great! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Just have a lot of fun and learn many different things, find the course that most fulfill your expectation and just go for it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I have been studying Japanese and Chinese with great result! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

lead hair puller
What do you like best?

It's so much fun to use. I used it to get a working knowledge of Italian for my trip. It's seriously addictive once you get started and it uses minimal effort so you don't waste your time going over things you already have down. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. I love this product. I don't use it every day, but anytime I want to learn a language or something like all the varieties of beer, it's the first place I go. The only thing I wish memrise had was a chat feature so you could practice with another human being or maybe an AI. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Better than any other app out there for learning a language. If learning a language start with the 100 most common words or something similar for that language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am learning languages faster than ever and it's easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Akademik Uzman
E-Learning
What do you like best?

Memrise is a new way to learn a new language. You can study lesson both desktop and mobile. You can prefer mobile application or web site. Web site is useful than mobile application a bit. There is pre-prepared word packages on system such as middle level 1000 words, prepositions, conjunctions. If you want you can study this packages or you can create new lesson package. When you studying you feeling "I am playing game" Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some synonyms words creates conflicts. For example power and strength are synonyms words. Memrise ask you what is the mean of "güç" (it is Turkish) and you can not now which one is i give. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

- It has got various learning style such as remember, review, against time.

- It has got mobile and web site options

- You can feeling like a playing game

- You can compete other user and it has got leaderboard.

- It has got pro version and it offers quickly learn than free version. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It solved learning new words problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Office Manager and Account Supervisor
Medical Practice
What do you like best?

Even in high school and college I learned Spanish, however I have since forgotten it. This hasn't been helpful being that many of our patients are spanish-speaking. This has made re-learning the language extremely painless and so easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Absolutely nothing. I can't recommend this highly enough to all my friends who work with the public and many of them have took it upon themselves to bring it to their companies. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will not regret it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I've realized that by learning Spanish with memrise, our patients are much happier that they can be understood and our patients are always coming back now. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.