KeyCreator

KeyCreator

KeyCreator Direct CAD software allows designers and manufacturers to create and edit designs quickly, regardless of what CAD system created the design or how it was constructed. This saves hours in fixing CAD files.

Work for KeyCreator?

Learning about KeyCreator?

KeyCreator Reviews

Ask KeyCreator a Question
Aaron E.

"KeyCreator is a very powerful direct modeling CAD software"

What do you like best?

I use KeyCreator on a daily basis to both create models from scratch as well as edit customer supplied models. The tools available in KeyCreator to manipulate both original geometry and customer supplied models are like a Swiss army knife. There are a robust set of tools to create simple sheet metal parts as well as complex parts destined for our 5-axis CNC machining center. I like that KeyCreator offers a full array of translators so that no matter what file format we receive from a customer we are able to work with it.

What do you dislike?

Where KeyCreator falls short is in its layout tools. There are occasional issues with dimensions becoming disassociated with geometry that has been manipulated in model mode. I also wish there were more robust tools for creating section views or showing slicing/cutting plane views. Sometimes there are unexpected results when using the unfolding tools in KeyCreator, but they can usually be solved by addressing a single bend at a time instead of a group of bends all at once.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There is a vast library of on-line, on-demand, tutorials called KeyCreator University. Don't miss out on these! They are an excellent resource whether you are a new user or a power user. I recently used the University lessons to learn how to model the motion of gears on a project that I was working on, and I was very satisfied with how easy it was to learn a set of tools I had previously been unfamiliar with.

Importing different file types to be able to manipulate models for 5-axis machining is probably the biggest benefit we have realize by using KeyCreator. Designing fixtures for welding, drilling, and other operations is another huge benefit of using KeyCreator That being said, we primarily use KeyCreator for sheetmetal flat pattern development, and it does a great job at that.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about KeyCreator
Showing 100 KeyCreator reviews
Michel B.

"KeyCreator for Yacht Design"

What do you like best?

KeyCreator as a yacht design tool offers a perfect blend of both freeform surfacing and mechanical design abilities. I've used this software since its inception over 35 years ago for marine design and everything that goes into making a yacht or boat work. And its never let me down. Its fast and agile software that allows for a very quick and intuitive design process.

What do you dislike?

Not a dislike but more of an enhancement request. I'd love to see some features like Kinematics for calculating load paths, cage editing of surfaces and a simpler animation configuration that would allow for manually moving/testing motions during the design process without formally initiating "animation". Kind of like animation on the fly so to speak. I'd also like to see a direct translator to work with KeyShot for rendering work.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its considerably less expensive than SolidWorks and offers more horsepower. Additionally, I have clients who use SolidWorks and they come to me for work they simply can't do efficiently......or without spending thousands of dollars more for more advanced modules. Couple that with the benefits and speed of direct modelling and its a winner.

Yacht Design. Mechanical Design. Detailing of all related components for manufacture. The benefit is the simplicity of this software's operability and its ability to think outside the box. I can use it in ways I'm quite sure the developers never thought of. Its flexible.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about KeyCreator
Steve V.

"I have Used this Software for 18 years. KeyCreator Has made me sought after :) - I Love it !!!"

What do you like best?

I can work with "ANY" Cad , native or imported as if it were my own, instantly.

I can out preform co-workers in several aspects of design, very easily, and as much as I would like to say / think its me ????????? It is the ease of the software to learn and to use...... Hotkeys are amazing tools that accent a good design practice.

What do you dislike?

There is a MAJOR downfall - sort of-.

1) Well, ---- design and changes are SO easy and fast to do, you tend to do them live during a design review meetings. After customers see how fast and easy changes are they expect faster turn around times and less cost.

I DO NOT dislike any portion or aspect of this software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You will complete more for a lower cost.

I tackle design concepts concurrently while completing final Prototype / Production weld tools daily. The benefits are endless / limitless.

* I can import almost ALL cad formats and work with them as if I drew them.

* I can modify geometry very easily and effectively

What Product and Machine Design solution do you use?

Michael Dean L.

"All I Want is My KeyCreator"

What do you like best?

The speed and simplicity with which you create designs. I don't have to worry about "design intent", or spend countless hours pre-thinking the build (so as to put features in the "proper" order). Nearly as quick as an idea comes to mind, the model begins to takes shape. It's also nice to know that I can remove part of the model without having to worry about the model crashing, because of broken "parent/child relationships".

But probably the most helpful (and over looked) tool within KeyCreator, is the ability to do simple, 2D drafting. This means I can draw a quick concept sketch, to figure out the right geometry, before extruding, lofting, revolving, etc. This is often a lot faster than grabbing a calculator and "doing the math". It's all about "time to market", right? The faster you can perfect the design, the faster you can move that design to market. You can't design any faster that "Direct".

By the way... I'm proficient in Solidworks also. I'll take KeyCreator any day.

What do you dislike?

I've run into issues in the past, mostly with KeyCreator's layout mode. But really, I haven't had a complaint in quite some time. So either Kubotek has cured the bugs, or I've figured out what I'm doing. Whichever, I've been very please with the product over the last few releases.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't rely on the developer's "canned" demos when investigating which CAD software to go with. The reason being, is because these demos have been done so often, they could do them in their sleep. They have the steps down pat and, therefore, LOOK impressive. The real test is to have them create one of YOUR parts, from scratch, on the spot. Choose a part that isn't too taxing, but not too simple, either. You want to see what the software will do, without making the rep sweat... too much. Take a 2D drawing in with you and ask them to "model this". Ideally, take two, or even three, drawing revisions of the part. Start off with the original. Then, when that is completed, ask them to make each revision, in order. Now you'll get a true idea of which CAD system is faster, easier... and better.

I work in a custom molding shop. We originally started using Cadkey in 1997. But in 2003 switched (against my wishes) to Solidworks. However, I've kept my single seat of Cadkey/KeyCreator current (At my own cost, I might add.). And it's a good thing too. Because we get customer CAD models, from various CAD sources, all the time. Only KeyCreator allows me to revise and modify these customer models as needed, when needed. Customers are often surprised how quickly I can revise a part and get it back to them for review.

And if a model comes in that needs healing, well... you can try it in other CAD programs. But I won't promise the same kind of success you'd get from KeyCreator.

And lastly, KeyCreator is head & shoulders above the competition when it comes to speed. I can create a model in a fraction of the time it would take in a parametric modeler. Again, speed is king.

Keith S.

"All the bells and whistles"

What do you like best?

The program is by far the easiest I have ever used and the translators are amazing. I can easily import a CAD file from a competing software and edit features, holes, etc. in the model as if it was created in KeyCreator! There are no special settings for this, it just works.

What do you dislike?

A number of the sub packages you would expect from CAD software (sheet metal for example) are either lacking or non existent however I will admit that these continue to improve.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are on the fence about purchasing an easy to use CAD package, look no further. There are no parametrics to deal with just straight forward modeling in an easy to use package for a price that is not off the chart.

The software is so simple to use and get up to speed on that we can literally teach anyone to use it in a few hours. I have trained new employees with little or no CAD experience to use this software in a few hours and after a week on the job they are deigning things all by themselves.

brian v.

"Manager/Designer"

What do you like best?

The best thing is ease of use and no history constraints. Working with customer part data is simple, quick, and sometimes effortless. Mould designs can be very quickly produced, and re-using components from previous designs are a snap.

What do you dislike?

Just one thing, and its not much, it is the esthetics of the "Layer/Level" tab. I wish you could customize it with separators and colours, and bold text for parent levels, etc... When their is lots of levels, and child levels, etc... it is often hard to distinguish where you are with only 2 alternating colours. Thats it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don.t think twice about it, Keycreator is the one to rule them all.

Mould design, Part design, and pneumatic machine design. With keycreator we can prepare all cnc data models quicker and better than any cam software, for us we do this then tanslate to the cam software, and very quickly create tolpaths with the models and curves pre defined.

Sean D.

"Unsure of what is being asked here."

What do you like best?

The ability to design in direct modeling is a big plus, importing many file types is a must for me. Functions like prune are great (but needs improvement).

What do you dislike?

Older interface, needs to improve almost all functions to use dyna handles, and reduce amount of clicks to accomplish commands. Although direct modeling is overall superior, the lack of any parametric capabilities and history does take away some capabilities that would be very useful in mold design.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's great product, but good useful development is a bit stagnant at the moment. Increased improvement in surfacing tools and solids quality is badly needed. They need to stop focusing on more obsolete type functions. For example, last release touted improvements to dimensioning and arrow heads. We don't care about this stuff anymore, we need stronger 3D tools and any dimensioning an notes enhancements need to be to make dimensioning in 3D with model shaded better for use in PPT presentations.

Being able to import anyone's data is key.

Aaron E.

"KeyCreator is a very powerful direct modeling CAD software"

Cliff H.

"Great Product"

What do you like best?

I can design the way I want to. Some designs use a lot of external references (parts from vendors that I don't want modified). Some use a lot of custom parts. Also all of the the 2D details reside in the same file as the model so I don't have to manage a huge database when the project gets large. Editing designs when a customer makes changes very rarely requires a complete redesign or start from scratch.

What do you dislike?

Animation is sometimes hard to setup. I rarely do animation but in the past year I had a clamping fixture that had to work in a sequence. Even after going through the video's I was never able to get the sequence to complete.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Compare features, find something similar to the majority of the work you need to do and compare designing it with the software you are considering. Ask experienced users to look at what you are doing and consider their feedback. Ultimately you will be responsible for using the software so it has to fit the way you work.

I design and build custom equipment for manufacturing. Rarely are the machines even close to the same but there are always parts that I can copy and paste from one design to another and with direct editing get what I need fairly quickly.

Brian J.

"KeyCreator is an excellent tool for design. It' s interoperability is one of it's many strengths."

What do you like best?

I like KeyCreator's ease of use and customization. The free form modeling is a powerful tool for me. I use it to easily create contoured parting lines for complicated molds. There are times when I am in a meeting that I take engineers models from other cad systems and change them right in front of them to make them moldable. They tell me "that would have taken me hours to change, and you just did it in minutes."

What do you dislike?

It's not free! I would like to see it offered more in educational settings. There is not a lot of user group activities that I am aware of.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

KeyCreator doesn't do everything, but it does quite a bit. You will be very suprised at how much it can do.

I am able to design plastic injection molds quickly. KeyCreator gives me an edge over my competition. I get things out on the shop floor fast.

jonathan d.

"simple lay out, with powerful capabilities."

What do you like best?

What would I consider to be great about this program, The very simple layout, very easy to maneuver and remember where everything is located. Compatibility is a must and I have not found a program that has so many other programs that work together fluidly

What do you dislike?

the program does everything I need it to do, therefor no problems yet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The Price pays off in the long run, but if you only need certain aspects of the program then you probably should buy the top package.

accurately depict and design molds that we scan and create.

Creating tooling tags, setting up the design or layout on KeyCreator then I'm able to transfer the exported DXF file to a CO2 laser program with ease.

Danny D.

"Dependable CAD software"

What do you like best?

I like the powerful and flexible set of Geometry Creation Tools in Keycreator.

This allows us to work with any customers geometry using the built in translators. I am always able to translate and edit the geometry from any drawings for use in our CAM systems for machining.

It might be surprising to some since 3D is all that is usually talked about today but one of my favorite things about KeyCreator is it's powerful 2D capabilities.

Much of our work still requires perfect 2D geometry. I was totally surprised that while some other very popular CAD packages are great at 3D they are very poor at 2D.

I am able to extract and edit 2D geometry for all our needs easily and efficiently as well as take 2D geometry and build a 3D model from it.

What do you dislike?

There are more flexible and powerful assembly tools in other packages but those packages are also more expensive.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Evaluate CAD software on the basis of your needs and what you intend to do.

All the flashy ads for CAD software are great but if it doesn't do the job for you it's no good.

Interoperability with our Customers designs. We are able to take their concept files and edit them for the final design which we create here in our shop.

We are able to solve many complex Engineering Challenges by drawing in both 2D and 3D and use that geometry to machine actual parts.

Edger L.

"KeyCreator, Amazing software for Engineers."

What do you like best?

-Easy and friendly interface for the new users or beginners to be able to get used to the product leading to better service production.

- Very powerful drawing components, and also perfect in management of files. Excellent in creating 3D tool and simple in editing.

-Quick 2D drawing and detailing ability and production of professional designs and medels especially for Mechanical services.

-User can customize KeyCreator to fit any project styles depending on the industry involved and Importing of solid models.

-Efficiency of their customer support and response is another thing i love about this software and its the fastest in translating.

What do you dislike?

-KeyCreator its the most appropriate in designing, but Importing process needs a very experienced user.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Perfect software for modelling and designing of different models but its recommendable to trained on this product for better production.

-Quick and simple drawing and modeling of Mechanical services. Production of quality final result for large and small projects, among more benefits.

Gerald K.

"Excellent teaching tool"

What do you like best?

KeyCreator has been an amazing teaching tool for my Middle and High school classes. With the customizable toolbars, it's easy to get kids from a basic understand the tools to getting them to explore some of the more detailed nooks and crannnies of the program. The commands and the ability to translate files allows for interdisciplinary applications in art, graphic design and mathematics, and the ability to design for 3d printing is smooth.

What do you dislike?

Animations and textures can be a little tricky to figure out and apply.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great product, I can't recommend it highly enough.

It is cost effective for my budget and easy to use by kids as young as 12

"I've used Key Creator and CadKey before that for over 20 years, primarily for 3-D modelling."

What do you like best?

Like the logical self-intuitive geometrically based interface that comes at an affordable price. In working with clients have also had to engage with Solid Works, AutoCAD, NavisWorks, AutoPipe and other modelling programs which I dislike because there's a lot of non-intuitive add-ons which are difficult to remember if you're not using them all the time. Even with some of these other programs, I may also create a parallel Key Creator model as a check on the spatial information.

What do you dislike?

Have always found it a bit of a challenge updating settings when moving to a later version. Better now than it used to be.

Key benefit has been the 3-D modelling of new equipment prior to building it in the workshop. I've never had an unforeseen problem in manufacture when key features have been fully modelled earlier. It's much easier to sort the problems on screen before any fancy materials get wasted.

Mark V.

"KeyCreator is great for contractors"

What do you like best?

The biggest two advantages of KeyCreator both relate to its ability to use imported data from a multitude of sources. They are, its very good translation abilities, and its direct modelling approach. Just the thing for contractors who don't have the luxury of using only their own data, but are constantly using data obtained from sundry sources. And excellent even if you only use your own data.

What do you dislike?

KeyCreator cannot fully use all the resources of a powerful computer (multiple CPU cores, top level graphics cards). Greater performance is a key requirement

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very good and capable CAD product, easy to learn and use and with some big advantages over opposition products.

Complex solid modelling and design problems, mainly in injection moulding. KeyCreator is a very good package to solve these problems.

UD
User in Defense & Space

"Keycreator in tooling fabrication"

What do you like best?

Keycreator's ability to be able to bring in complex surface and solid model geometry from any neutral solid and create tooling. KC allows us to turn CAD models into CNC machined aluminum tooling better than any other CAD program we have ever worked with.

We are a job shop, so we deal with all of the popular CAD programs, and Keycreator handles them all nicely.

What do you dislike?

The only real down side to Keycreator is that it does not have the high end rendering capabilities commonly found in other packages like Solidworks, but it does not come with all of the associated headaches of history based design either, so we stick with Keycreator because we like geometry based design.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't be fooled by the hype of history based modelers like Solidworks and CATIA. Keycreator allows you to get in and work on other designers geometry and quickly and accurately create tooling and fabricate parts.

Keycreator is cost effective and efficient.

We are a job shop, and have to handle many new models each year. Keycreator allows us to rapidly design and fabricate tooling with extremely complex geometry with relative ease.

User in Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Design Freedom "

What do you like best?

I like the versatility that KeyCreator allows in CAD design. I can make changes to my model separate from a model tree which I really like. The surfacing functions in KeyCreator are really great! I also like that through the years KeyCreator has been continually improving their software and there is a lot of room for growth with the foundation that they have.

What do you dislike?

There are occasions where a standard part or design would be better suited for a model tree file construction and certain features of the design process would be better if they were parametric. Such as adding holes as features that don't destroy the underlying solid. I feel that the animation package leaves a lot to be desired as its a little clunky and could be made more user friendly. I also feel that the software still needs to be a lot faster than it is. Designers are making ever more complex part designs and as those file sizes are growing the software gets laggy despite having one of the best graphics cards on the market.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Depending on your design needs KeyCreator is a great choice. It is great if you want flexibility of design and freedom to make changes without struggling with a parametric model tree.

KeyCreator is very suitable for mold design because it allows the freedom to build the parting surfaces, cavity, and core shapes very quickly with more design intent. This is thanks to the surfacing capabilities and freedom of design.

Jon L.

"Keycreator - Capable, Flexible full featured mechanical design tool"

What do you like best?

For my needs - primarily structural and mechanical design ( plus detailing) Keycreator has a wide set of tools that allow me get my designs completed quickly. I was able to learn primarily w/o training - on the job - when I changed positions and Keycreator was the tool of choice for the new job.

What do you dislike?

Some of my product design could be benefited by animation of the function. I find the animation capability lacking.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are many choices available today - make a good evaluation of your needs before selecting any design tools. Keycreator is good for me but it may not be the choice for everyone.

Product design - see info in previous questions

Library of frequently used components - improved inventory optimization.

Jeffrey L.

"I have used Keycreator for at least 20 years and love it."

What do you like best?

Down and dirty...very easy to learn and use. I've used other CAD software and there is just too many "bells and whistles" that are not needed. I simply love the layering making it very nice to identify parts and the sub-parts.

What do you dislike?

It is not as powerful with solid radii. I have to log out of it on occasion because the part starts loosing visible parts. I really do not have many complaints at all. Keycreator is just great for FAST design

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use it....great software

The ease of design,,,I can design something 40% faster than my co-workers using brand-X software.

Heiner P.

"Best CAD platform available."

What do you like best?

The platform can open any file, and work with it as if it was native. Speed of making changes is 90% faster than any other program. it is super stable and crashes 1-2 times a year. (And you know what you did to make it do that...) Support is super responsive.

What do you dislike?

The FEA suite was discontinued... Very sad only. I use FEA every day, so I must keep an older version installed next to my latest version.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Best platform if you make rapid changes, and deal with other platforms.

I am able to work seamlessly with all my customers which all use different platforms. I can edit, and return any CAD sent so there is no ambiguity with what I want done.

Mark B.

"Indespensible and affordable"

What do you like best?

I like the ease of use along with the powerful functionality.

We have designed over $50 million worth of equipment using KeyCreator with great success.

We use it to model as well as detail very complex mechanisms.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing I dislike about KeyCreator. Added functionality such as a high-end animation package would only add cost. KeyCreator does perfectly well for what it is marketed to do.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Gets you right where you need to be as far as productivity and profitability

As a small company we were able to afford 7 seats. The reasonable AUC cost is a big deal in running a cost-effective operation.

"Good software, but has issues with bugs."

What do you like best?

The direct modeling software is easy to use. When I took this job after college and had to learn this software, I was surprised at how quickly I picked it up. The seamless ability to model in 3D and 2D is fantastic.

What do you dislike?

The software doesn't have the support or user base of the larger CAD programs. The updates and new versions often have bugs (one update would crash every time we would print), and tutorials or help online is non-existent.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure that direct modeling suits your needs better than paramatric modeling.

The ability to recreate old 2D prints that only exist on paper or pdf in Keycreator, and then using that to create 3D models has greatly helped us deal with the old drawings that our customers often send us.

"Great 3D software"

What do you like best?

The software is very easy to use. It is based on the old CadKey software and you can still use the old menus if you want to.

It is also customizable using macro's to do 1-click menu items for repetitive tasks.

What do you dislike?

On the last update, when i imported my settings, some did not seem to work the same as they did in the last version, primarily in layout mode.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is easy to learn and use. and has very good translators so you can import from almost any other cad program.

I use KeyCreator to design new products as well as converting all of the old 2D AutoCad files into 3D solid models. This has allowed us to do renderings for our customers to show them realistic layouts for their Dog Parks.

Andrea B.

"Learning Curve"

What do you like best?

I used AutoCAD at my old job. I was able to pick up with KeyCreator fairly easily. The learning curve was shallow as opposed to steep.

What do you dislike?

Some of the functions are 180 degrees backwards, from other CAD systems, in regards to the order you select the parts. This is easily overcome by familiarizing yourself with the software and taking the time to actually read the prompts as opposed to just clicking as you would with AutoCAD.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Slow down and read the prompts if you are switching from another software.

We use the software mainly to reverse engineer components for existing machinery. Having KeyCreator has greatly minimized our human error on the shop floor when trying to fit new parts to existing machinery.

Dwayne B.

"Longtime User"

What do you like best?

The ease use, we are a custom metal fabrication shop and this works real well for both creating drawings as well as translating AutoCad drawings from customers.

What do you dislike?

There are still a few bugs to be worked out in the new release but, overall there in anything to dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be aware the the Essentials class the Keycreator offers does not teach the basics, as far as CAD goes, it is more a graphic Design 3D class anymore.

Have not any business problems

Learn more about KeyCreator

KeyCreator Videos

KeyCreator Downloads

Learning about KeyCreator?

* We monitor all KeyCreator reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.