KACE Reviews & Product Details

What do you like best?

The fact that systems management is demystified by this software is everything to like about it and thus with the whole array of services offered by this software, everyone and anyone in the computing or developing world but also generally in business like ourselves, this software comes in handy depending on your specific needs provided they have to do with systems management and thus offers the team a bearing to freely soar with their ideas with this software as the firm stone of the systems management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is well thought and adequately maintained and thus currently no dislikes as yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Save on infrastructure and have a streamlined and efficient systems management courtesy of KACE. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The greatest advantage has been with end point management and thus reducing our operational costs in terms of acquiring as many devices and infrastructure all of which have come in handy in streamlining the way we do things now all thanks to this software. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

KACE Overview

What is KACE?

Replace your manual processes, non-integrated point solutions, or overly complex software suite with the industry’s most comprehensive endpoint systems management solution and give your IT team more time to innovate. KACE fast-to-implement, easy-to-use systems management and deployment solutions provision, manage, secure, and service your growing organization’s network-connected devices, including Windows PCs, Macs, Chromebooks, tablets, Linux, UNIX, and Windows Servers, printers, storage and the internet of things (IoT), while delivering rapid return on investment. And, to add more value to your endpoint systems management solution, explore KACE Essential Services.

KACE Details
Discussions
KACE Community
German, English, French, Japanese, Spanish, Chinese (Simplified)

KACE is a comprehensive systems management solution that streamlines asset management, better secures all network connected devices, imaging and administration of system images and more efficiently services end user systems.

Quest Software
1987
Aliso Viejo, CA
@Quest
3,688 employees on LinkedIn®

KACE Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the KACE community
Have you used KACE before?

KACE Reviews

Showing 81 KACE reviews
Already have KACE?
Data Research Analyst
What do you like best?

I like using Kace it has made my work much easier, it has been a vital tool for our company in supporting our customers, we also use it to make an inventory of all our laptops, it also includes a technical assistance ticket system, it is a great asset for managing systems, it also allows us to see at the touch of a button what kind of machines we have, it has allowed us to manage updates for all our users, it also offers an excellent user interface to manage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

KACE has been an ideal complement for all of us, I have nothing bad to say about this platform. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I recommend the use of KACE, it is the best option for systems management, it is a good product that works very well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With this platform we can manage all our inventory without having to see each machine every day, it works quite well, now we can offer quick solutions to our users, it has made our work a little easier. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It is a very well organized application for the IT department. Easy to use, very user friendly and has many features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it can get a little strange with updating the inventory. The reporting does get very specific so unless you know exactly what you want, you will have to do some testing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are an IT department looking for a ticketing system, please use Kace. They do an amazing job and have many other features. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are using case for our ticketing system. There are many benefits of Kace. Anywhere from reporting to checking your inventory, it is all there and very easy to use. It has made the organization of the company much, much better. Being able to control the ticketing system through Kace is also extremely helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assistant General Manager
What do you like best?

With several requests going back and forth between the corporate office and site teams, it is crucial to have an organized system in place. Kace helps us efficiently ask/request things from our colleagues and it keeps a detailed record of tasks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The login process can be a little slow at times. I got locked out because of a password issue and it was not easy for my corporate office to get customer support. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you do not have a ticket system in place, USE KACE. SO EFFICIENT. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Emails can slip through the cracks and requests can get lost. Our marketing department and IT department run a lot more smooth than they would without a ticket process. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IT Operations Manager
What do you like best?

The ability to manage a network of computers can be tedious. The k1000 gives me a great user interface to manage software deployments and updates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The scripting section can take some time to learn but the support articles and groups are very helpful with managing this. You can use Kace to manage anything you need on your pcs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software deployment, inventory control, and mass communication. There have been times that we have used group policy for can now be managed more effectively. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

All of our Dell products are easily integrated into the system so we are able to standardize them, push software to them, monitor them, and send needed hardware drivers. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It seems like everything is just one step away from being great. Adding ad groups to push out software to computers is a chore. There is no easy way to track when scheduled scripts are run, what was successful and what wasn't. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We can easily see all of our laptops, desktops, and servers. We can push quick fixes to our end users and track their issues. End users have the capability of pulling their own needed software down as well to reduce ticket count. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IT Support Consultant
What do you like best?

It is very easy to use and doesn't have much of a learning curve. Most of the IT Professionals across campus were able to implement KACE pretty quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The UI is buggy and we've had a lot of issues with random log outs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend KACE as a device management product but there may be better products out there (SCCM etc). KACE is a good product for more novice IT professionals. Something more advanced may be better for more seasoned IT folks. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are able to get a thorough device inventory, adhere to our IT Security standards and provide a good user experience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Director Information Technology Support
What do you like best?

Kace is actually two different products, the Kace System Management Appliance (a.k.a. K1000) and the Kace System Deployment Appliance (a.k.a K2000). Together they form an integrated end-point management solution that gives you a comprehensive view of your environment and can address system deployment, asset management, security, software distribution, and service desk for medium to large companies.

I have deployed Kace at two different companies, both around 400 users. It is relatively easy to deploy and realize value. The value increases as your staff learns to use the tool and further customize it for your business.

We have realized additional value by deploying the service desk module to our HR and Legal departments for them to handle internal requests. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We are growing quickly and adding licenses takes too long. I look forward to them adopting an online purchasing program. Logging is cryptic so when jobs fail, it is often unclear why they failed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a very large environment / help desk, you might want to look at using a different service desk product and integrate it with KACE. The service desk component, while good, is easily the weakest link in the package, although it is improving.

Case offers no incident management capability. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

System Deployment

Service Desk with Remote Access Tie-In

Asset management

Patch management

Vulnerability management

Software deployment Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Systems Engineer
What do you like best?

You can build out nearly anything that you want done, but it comes with the basics that will cover you without the need to build anything. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It either comes as a 500gb or 1tb deployable virtual server, but I have not seen it use that much space. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely demo it.. see if their implementation supports coming from your current vendor. Lean on them to get you running. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Helpdesk solution, ticket tracking, solve history, and some endpoint management. There is also a KB functionality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Unix System Administrator
Higher Education
What do you like best?

I like to be able to push scripts out to machines at will. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So far (although I understand it's in the next version), no ability to chain scripts together (so that Script One can trigger Script Two, etc).

I've worked with this box for two years now, and still don't really grasp (non-scripted) Distribution or the two Software databases; it seems all terribly convoluted to me, and I'm not a dumb guy. At all.

I don't like that I can't push the agent to a Windows machine without either using a 3rd-party tool (Active Directory) or doing pre-push prep work on each potential Windows client. I want one tool that does it all, remotely. I'm not sure that's possible, with the design of Windows, but still, I dislike the situation.

I dislike some of the layouts - scroll all the way to the bottom to hit Save, but oops, what if this isn't the right script? I better check which script I'm saving; scroll all the way to the top to see the name; yep, it's the right one; scroll all the way to the bottom to hit Save.

All that's on the K1. The K2 has become partially useless to us, as with the changes Mac has made to its systems, "Imaging is dead", and the K2 can't image Macs any more.

Although I really like the scripted installs on the K2, I don't care for the new "Task Groups". They only do about 50% of what they should do, and at that low-level, they are essentially useless to me.

And again, the layout. So. Much. Scrolling.

And both appliances need some sort of Undo, or at least "Save a copy"; it's way too easy to slip on a click and not know what you've done, and lose something important.

And organization! I want to be able to organize my scripts and tasks and deployments, so instead of digging through 200 scripted installs, I can arrange them into collapsible/expandable groups, etc.

And again, task-chaining. Please, oh please, let me chain one task to another, so that I can have a standard scripted install of a standard Windows setup (composed of Windows, Office, antivirus) , and at the end of that, change out one (or better, trigger with a run-time option/environment variable), a chained link to a different set of installation routines (one that has business apps, one that has student-learning apps, one that has CAD apps, etc), so that my main Windows image can be the base for 20 different individual setups with just a tweak of an environmental variable or a checkbox. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think KACE has a lot of promise, but it's got a lot of rough edges. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Because the learning curve is so high and steep, we've gone through four or five different KACE system managers (I'm the most recent one), and none have really gotten full control of the boxes. I've been at it two years now (and went to this last Spring's KACE UserKonf (or whatever it was called), and am just now getting to where I can say I'm fairly comfortable with the boxes.

But now that I'm at that point, I'm able to get a call that Computer X needs Software Y, and in a few short clicks, boom, the software is there. (It would help a lot to have that chaining feature, as many of our computers are frozen with Deep Freeze, which means thawing them first, rebooting, install the software, freeze them, and reboot; since there's no [easy, built-in] way to continue a task over a reboot, I have to manually babysit this process, when it should be much more automagic.)

We image new Dells with the K2, using scripted images. For the most part it works pretty well, but there's not easy way to get diagnostic results, and there's often random failures in the process, so that on this run, Adobe XD gets installed, but on the next one with identical hardware, XD fails to install, and we don't know it until we physically check the after-imaging results. I'm sure we could make our installation tasks more robust with our own debugging routines, but then, that kind of puts the onus back on us instead of on the product that promised to make our lives easier. Still, it works well enough that it beats imaging the computers by hand, one-by-one, the way we used to do it.

And we want to use the K1 for patching our machines, but again, the complexity of the process leaves us making very small maneuvers in that direction, so as not to hose our campus with a bad push. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Information Technology Group - Assistant Manager
What do you like best?

Kace has help us integrate all of our IT needs from inventory to imaging. Having these appliances to to everything automatic and pushed software is a plus. Summer task are so much easy imaging across the network with almost zero technicians intervention.

We have been using KACE SMA since 2008 and SMD since 2010 our Inventory became more accurate and computer were rolled out in a faster pace. Our techs adapted quickly to the new service desk and user could check their tickets status by login to the user portal.

KACE support Windows and Apple platforms, this way we can manage everything from one solution, we just love it.

Support , when ever we needed they fix our problems so we don't have to keep our system down for too long. Over All, KACE It is a great solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

there is always room for improvement, however... at this point KACE does what we need.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

KEEP it coming, great software upgrades and improvements were just released with 9.0v and 6.0v Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Inventory control, deploy images across networks and most important we can manage PC and Apple.

Service desk allows users to know their status of tickets as well submit submit their own request.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The service desk module is the best. It allows our teachers to create work orders and us to keep track of their service. It lets us tie in our inventory to the work orders and scripting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Kace has many bugs. Inventory doesn't report back the stock to all the filters that Kace has to offer and running scripts has certain problems that prevent it from running correctly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Wait till the major version comes before buying. Support is a hit and miss. I dread having to call them. I get someone who doesn't know how to talk to customers or someone who doesn't know their own product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Kace 2000 to deploy images on a bulk scale allowing us to efficiently get them out on time. Before we had outsourced this which cost the district extra money and delay. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Lead Technical Support Analyst
Higher Education
What do you like best?

Kace does a great job of imaging Windows machines. The scripted images are very nice, and the automatic driver installs are excellent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Kace does not support Apple computers. It takes 6 months for Kace to adjust to the newest Apple OS, which means I'm half a year without being able to use the K2 on Apple machines. That seems a waste. And this says nothing about how the K2 isn't compatible with Apple's latest OS, High Sierra. That's just not good in my book. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Mac imaging has to be addressed and updated in a more timely manner. If that's not possible, there has to be a more clear suggestion for customers to follow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We're able to image Windows machines, and push installs to computer effectively. We are also able to patch computers in a timely manner. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The interface and availability of information necessary to respond to client needs is very intuitive and reliable, and the ease with which a new user can familiarize themselves with the system is great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The system can be very slow, timing out and slowing down frequently. Whereas a user used to be able to call, provide us a ticket number, and we could load it in a matter of seconds, it can now take minutes to load and update tickets, often erasing the new details we've added when it times out. These issues seem specific to certain web browsers, but even its mobile client KACE Go suffers from these timeouts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Test out different web browsers. Works wonders on Edge, but suffers on Firefox. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We can track device status and see when users are to be upgraded via software or hardware updates, remotely assist them, and address issues before users are able to be impacted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ease of use and ability to manage disconnected road warrior computers. Patch support for non Microsoft products. Deep integration with Dell hardware (BIOS, warranty info, etc). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Periodic problems with KACE agents that stop communicating. Some confusion over overlap between SMA managed installs and SDA post-installation tasks. Can't select post-install tasks to sync to SDA RSA. Some limitations in options for Help Desk. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Prepare users for install by developing a communication plan on the expectations for their interaction with the patch process (not putting laptop to sleep without installing, why multiple reboots may be necessary at first. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Patch management & remote computer management. Patch compliance and reporting have improved dramatically. I now have almost the same ability to manage disconnected road warrior computers as those that are on my LAN. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to manage data on inventory, assets, and users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

KACE feels a little dated compared to other ticketing systems I’ve used but it works Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Issue tickets Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

Windows OS & OS X support

Inventory tracking

licensing tracking

patching for our non-MS software

can run as a virtual instance (with a ready to run VMWare image)

ability to see who has not checked in with the network and how long it has been

Regular updates to appliance and agents even after the sale from Dell

Pricing is very cost competitive compared with other solutions Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

We probably use less than 1/4 of what KACE offers us

Minimum license count is 100 (we have a staff under <50) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you require a patching solution for non-MS software or a better visibility of hardware and software on your network and require a solution that does not bust the bank to do all of this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed a solution that would give us the ability to update non-Microsoft software we are running in place here.

The ability to also have more visibility to our hardware and software inventory is certainly a bonus to have when Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ease of Imaging with the SDA and then managing the devices with the SMA. We can image over one hundred machine at a time and I can manage every desktop for my office with ease. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Problems with managing Apple devices like we do with windows devices Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Join ITNinja they are a great community to help Kace newbies. Attended KACE User Kons or roadshows for good education on the product Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ability to image all the classrooms in the short summer and year round management of all desktops. It has helped us manage systems with a small staff. I am currently the number one rated ITNinja in the world and I have also taught classes at Kace userkon . Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

I like the flexibility of KACE. We first purchased it because it could manage Mac, PC, and asset management. Over the years it has changed alot, but what hasn't changed is the flexibility of the tool. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have disliked all the changes. Being a customer for years, KACE has changed hands multiple times and with those changes has come a change in direction. For example, when Dell owned KACE, the idea was that KACE would work better for Dell computers. However, my experience has not been that. Dell does as much if not more with SCCM then KACE, so it did not really have a competetive advantage in a Dell shop that I thought it would.

I very much dislike the self-service. At this point, we use multiple tools and the self-service module of KACE is the worst of all the tools. As we are trying to shift left and solve more at tier 0, this weakness has become more and more evident. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It has gone through alot of changes, but seems to be in the right home with Quest. There are other products out there that are better, but nothing is as flexible. So if you have a diverse environment and can't afford a number of different tools, KACE is one tool that can get it done to a satisfactory level. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Asset management is a major one, which ties to security and compliance. We keep static records in KACE and dynamic records (agent based information). The issue with that is the agent sometimes disconnects from the static record and can make things confusing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Everything about KACE is awesome. The best part is probably the system inventory and application deployment though. The system inventory tells me everything that I need to know. I have another tool that I use, but it doesn't work as well as KACE does. As for deployment, our company has deployed Office 365 world wide in a matter of 2 weeks. For any company, that is pretty impressive. About all of that was done through KACE. We still use it every day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I would say the lack of granularity of the security, which causes a need for new Orgs. I have a lot of users that would need Admin access to only certain things. However, that does not work with what the privileges are now. It's fine, but I think there should be an option to make that possible. I also dislike level 1 support. It seems as time has gone by, support has gotten a little bit worse. I just put in a level 2 call, and it took 3-4 business days to actually get on a call with support. I think that needs to change. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Give it a serious shot. I would have to say that it works really well. We were going to try Landesk, but they didn't give us a shot at the product. Dell let us use it unconditionally as a trial. It worked out very well in the end. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Service desk, which was on an old Lotus Domino system. Also asset management. The benefits are that everything is all in one, and makes mine and my co-workers lives easier Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AE
What do you like best?

Kace is a robust platform for systems management, it allows us to maintain over 500 assets with a small team of people. We have used kace since 2013 and it has definitely improved. The options allow us to be more flexible with our users than a simple WSUS rollout. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The agent can become non responsive on clients for "no reason". Maintaining the agents has to be a regular task. Support is challenging to work with, their response time is significantly longer than desirable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The product has met our requirements, It certainly has room for improvement. I feel like the engineering group must have focused on function over form (which i respect) but it is not a modern UI, and we get complaints regarding the help desk from some users. I would implement this again at a different shop, I haven't encountered anything as feature rich that works better, certainly for the price. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Systems management. We deploy Microsoft and all third party patches with this solutions. We also manage our systems inventory and deploy a number of software packages and scripts levearging Kace. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

There are a lot of ways to schedule automated tasks. Between scripts, image jobs, software installations, and inventory data, most of our old manual processes have been automated. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Key functionality such as agent communication and patch schedules require some tweaking to get working on all platforms. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

KACE takes what about 2-3 different SDA platforms can do and rolls it all into one. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

KACE saves us a LOT of time on tasks we used to do manually. It also helps us identify problems with its easy to use reporting module. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Systems Administrator
Hospitality
What do you like best?

This has most of the features that you would want in a system management appliance Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a learning curve to figuring out how to use this Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

read the manual Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Pushing scripts, maintaining clients up to date, checking on installed programs, warranty info, managing assets. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AL
What do you like best?

My favorite part about Kace is how easy it was to deploy and maintain. Before Kace we would have to keep an eye on what machines do and do not have patching software. It was a pain to check if the old product broke randomly, but with Kace coming into our environment that was no longer an issue. We deployed and have over 100 machines running within a day, which was excellent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Creating custom scripts and actions can be troublesome, but the training and how to videos we were able to get everything we needed and more. Once you learn how it is done it is a piece of cake from there. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our main goal was to make sure windows updates were taken care of in a easy and structured manner. Once we got the product we realized you can update and deploy much more programs with custom scripts. Custom software we use can he pushed out with ease. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

Kace has enabled us to manage updates for all of our users that happen to be spread across the country. Along with this, we can manage all of our inventory without having to see each machine every day. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Some features have changed that we do really miss. Other items have been on our "wish list" for quite some time and have not been implemented yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Follow the guides that are available. Look on IT Ninja for others with the same questions and their solutions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Security was a huge issue for us prior to Kace. It now allows us to manage every computer and server without having to connect to each device to run these updates. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Institutional Research Analyst
Education Management
What do you like best?

At the end of the day, this product does get the job done. There is plenty of detail that can be collected, and users can securely send attachments through the system. A few weeks ago, they upgraded the look. I do like the new color, font, and size scheme, but I think their efforts would have been better spent on more substantive structural changes to the product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Kace is not an intuitive product, and it seems like it is an interface that may have been great in the early 2000s. It feels like I have to click a million times to isolate that tickets I am trying to look at. The emails that send through the system are bulky and don't seem very inviting. It can be hard to track down where the meat of the information is. My organization switched from Kace to another product for about two years, then back to Kace for cost reasons, and the difference in quality between the two frustrates me every single time I use it. I am pretty sure that in the 2 year break, there were no improvements or structural changes to the product. I don't think that setting up a new ticket is intuitive at all. Overall, it is a very clunky product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If cost is your main concern, go for it, but if you have a little extra to put into a better ticketing system, I would reccommend it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Kase as a ticket system for both IT and data oriented offices. Having a ticket system is a necessity in my field, but Kase is pretty frustrating. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.