4.3 out of 5
Do you work for Inkscape?

Inkscape Reviews & Product Details

Inkscape review by Abby R.
Cashier
Restaurants

"Great app!"

What do you like best?

I can create an SVG files from any image or from scratch or import one and make changes. I love using it with my Cricut Explore Air 2 machine. I can also have the file saved in the format that I need it to use with my Cricut or other programs. I can also use it to make banners and cover pages for FaceBook. That there is a Good selection of tools for drawing and editing graphic objects.

What do you dislike?

Not so user friendly, unable to do something that I can in other programs. That some of the tools are on each side of the screen and that there is not a quick guide. That the collapsing of side palettes is a little small and that the floating tools palette can't be reconfigured. that the 3D Boxes tool looks a little gimmicky and that there is no PMS color support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Easy to use with just a little patience and practice. Has a lot of common functions like CorelDRAW and Adobe illustrator.

I have use this to help me make files into SVG files that people have sent me to make vynal images on my Cricut for them. I have also use it to make a cover page for my FaceBook account.

What is Inkscape?

Inkscape is a free, open source vector editing program.

Inkscape Profile Details

Inkscape Reviews

1-50 of 188 total Inkscape reviews

Inkscape Reviews

1-50 of 188 total Inkscape reviews
Inkscape review by Rosenildes S.
Graphic program for graphic user

"Inkscape has no appearance"

What do you like best?

Inkscape is open supply, free, and straightforward to use from the get go. It permits you to find out the fundamentals of vector style while not the sophisticated interface of Adobe product, and did I mention it's FREE!? It's nice if you're simply coming up with a emblem here or there, and can offer you most of the tools you wish to try and do easy jobs effectively. The image trace is one in all the most effective I've used, that is wherever this very sets itself apart.

What do you dislike?

It has a bent to freeze on giant comes, doesn't export to business common file varieties like .ai, and thus causing to a shopper will be tough, particularly if they'd prefer to create edits of their own. Also, whereas it's straightforward to use, setting it up is tough as you technically must transfer two separate applications to create it run on a raincoat (I'm unsure whether or not or not this is often needed on Windows machines). This makes it somewhat ungainly to rise and associate with. However, I'll iterate that it's straightforward to use once you've got everything downloaded and began up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

We principally use Inkscape for image drawing and vector style. We've got benefitted kind Inkscape by having the ability to form vectors quickly.

It allowed Pine Tree State to make comfortable styles rather than counting on outsourced style partners, that quickened latent period while not cost accounting any more money. This gave North American country a leg up, permitting fast turnarounds and in some cases, same day sales, with customers for whom timeline was a significant issue.

Inkscape review by Joshua D.
Founder and Lead Artist
Architecture & Planning

"Professional logo designer and illustrator."

What do you like best?

Very intuitive interface. Simple enough for a six year old* to use, yet powerful enough for most professional designers; especially for web-based designs. Inkscape is my go-to vector software. Oh yeah. It is FREE!

The user community is amazing. Any time (day or night) I've had an issue or a question, I've just popped on over to the INKSCAPE - Draw Freely Facebook page and within a very reasonable time, someone has offered a solution.

*ok, my gifted six year old, but he was six nonetheless when he started producing amazing art with it.

What do you dislike?

No access to pantone or CMYK color libraries.

Native SVG files don't play well with Adobe products.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you're looking for reliable vector software, you cannot afford to not give it a try.

It is literally FREE to use. Forever. No week-long or 30-day trials here.

But don't let the cost (or lack thereof) fool you. It's value is beyond measure!

I use inkscape to design marketing materials that are cut out with a Cricut. I use Inkscape to create vector masks for gold foil stamping on business cards. Anything that can be designed can be drawn in Inkscape: logos, flyers, posters, illustrations... In fact, there was a time I was using it for everything.

I even use it to draft invoices/proposals, and more on custom letterhead.

A major benefit is being able to maintain a constant look across the board.

Inkscape review by Sangita Y.
Freelance Graphic Designer
Graphic Design
(Myself Only)

"Top Free Vector & Illustration Software"

What do you like best?

It is one of the standard programming projects, and this makes it simple to discover data and instructional exercises on the web, which encourages seeing how it works. It additionally gives a couple of instructional exercises the program itself, which is in every case great to have. It is likewise free, and open-source, so clients can create and transform it in the event that they have to. The page has many recommendations with respect to instructional exercises and key-ties, which is extraordinary to have as another client. The functionalities are very broad and helpful, enabling clients to deliver shapes and lines that can be effectively changed utilizing hubs, without losing any of their quality. It has many foreordained shapes, yet in addition has a couple of devices that enable clients to draw the shapes they need. Pre-decided shapes can likewise be changed by the client to fit what they need. There are additionally innumerable alternatives to work with in regards to hues, inclinations, position changes, gathering, choice, and so forth. There is even a determination device that enables the client to choose comparable articles by their shading or shape! It likewise permits to spare the records in standard arrangements that can later be sent to other people, or utilized in projects like Photoshop, which is an incredible alternative to have in the event that any further adjustment is required that is impossible in Inkscape itself. Generally speaking, it has incredible devices that encourage work pleasantly for clients, both normal and new to the product.

What do you dislike?

It isn't extremely tasteful looking, and it very well may be somewhat hard to pursue the instructional exercises, since a large number of its apparatuses appear to have been moved around, and had their key-ties changed, in later forms. This makes it difficult for new clients to discover the instruments or choices they requirement for each piece, and can really create a ton of befuddling when you begin working with it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is a Great Software and Complete Free and Very Light weight but not Professional Features.

It helps me to create Vector Graphics and Illustration Very Easily because of its Light weight not Hang on My Potato PC.

Inkscape review by Lais R.
Graphic Designer
(Myself Only)

"I don't know if I love it or hate it."

What do you like best?

I'll start with the main appeal that got my attention: it's open-source and free. I also like how the pen tool works, it only shows the outline and will show the complete path filled or just the stroke when you finish the path, and this is helpful when creating lines without depending on the stroke, space bar let me move around the canvas easily even when using a notebook's trackpad, the message box showing the information about your actions.

What do you dislike?

Default hotkeys are a mess; you can't edit a placed anchor point without finishing the path and changing tool and confusing GUI.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you already have experience with other vector tools, your initial experience with Inkscape may be an unpleasant one, but this doesn't mean it's unusable, you'll need to search for a few tutorials to get more familiar with the tool, so it' up to you if you want to invest time learning how to use it. I believe it's worth to have Inkscape installed, but don't rely on it as your main tool but as help when you are in a pinch or to learn how to work with vectors.

Inkscape is my emergency tool to create line arts, and the final product is done using other programs.

Inkscape review by Frankie P.
Content Management

"A free vector editor with great support"

What do you like best?

I like that Inkscape is supported by lots of volunteers who will quickly answer any question you have in the forum. This is great as Adobe Illustrator didn't really have any support.

What do you dislike?

The tools are a little different from Adobe Illustrator, so I had to re-learn where the tools I need are, but once I got into it, it was easy.

I switched to Inkscape from Adobe Illustrator, and it is now my main software program to create vector graphics with. I create graphics for web sites, and sometimes for print, and I am skilled with vector graphics editing. The benefits that I have realized from switching to Inkscape is saving a significant amount of money, and having a community forum to support me when I have problems.

Inkscape review by Rupert C.
Digital Media Assistant

"Open Source Vector Graphics Editor - Good Alternative to Illustrator for Free"

What do you like best?

I like that Inkscape is free, so that it does not cost any money to get a licence to use it, and that it is open source to I could contribute to the source code if I had an idea for an improvement.

What do you dislike?

It doesn't work very well with very complicated graphics, and freezes up regularly when working with large files.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is free.

I have been using Inkscape when making vector graphics, as I do not have Adobe Illustrator due to the cost. I am able to still work with vector graphics, and edit them. The tools are a little different, and the menu options are in different places, but it works just as well. It just takes a little adjustment and has saved some money.

Inkscape review by Ceta M.
(Myself Only)

"Excellent, free program for turning designs into vectors"

What do you like best?

I use Inkscape primarily to turn slogans and simple designs into vector images that I can use for selling products on print on demand platforms like Redbubble and TeePublic. The process is simple and quick and there is just enough "oomph" in this software to allow me to do exactly what I want to do plus a little more. After creating my design (mostly text-based in my case) I can easily go back and change the colors from dark to light with a transparent background to work on different colored products. It was a game changer for me and I'm delighted that it was free!

What do you dislike?

I am not able to take colorful images and change them to vectors but hey, it's free and I'm able to make simple vectors, which is what I got it for. I'm not complaining.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There are plenty of online tutorials if you can't figure out how to do what you need to. This is excellent for a free program.

I am able to make vectors from simple, one-color designs and text that is allowing me to make money on print-on-demand websites like Redbubble and TeePublic.

Inkscape review by chris t.
Media Production Specialist
Entertainment

"Inkscape lacks on appearance. "

What do you like best?

Inkscape is a really good software to draw in. I like the software identifies each different stroke you make and makes the stroke editable individually. This really comes in handy when you are trying to edit small details. I also like how Inkscape comes with many different preset shapes. This makes it a really good software to make vector designs with.

What do you dislike?

Inkscape is a good software but it is really lacking in user interface. The program seems like it could really use some update to become more appealing. I also don't like Inkscape is not very compatible with other editing softwares such as gimp and photoshop. You can transfer an image from Inkscape to another software but you will loose your smart editable objects.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Inkscape is great for drawing. I recommend getting a compatible drawing pen to go with it.

We mainly use Inkscape for image drawing and vector design. We have benefitted form Inkscape by being able to create vectors very quickly.

Inkscape review by Elio Q.
Community Lead
Internet

"The best open source vector tool"

What do you like best?

Inkscape is a solid tool and a standard when it comes to vectors. It's fully featured and provides all the needed tools for professional graphic illustrations. Exported SVG's come out clean and should work straight away on the web.

What do you dislike?

Unfortunately Inkscape has still no Print CMYK support, so if you want to prepare Print documents you need to import your files into another program which converts to CMYK, like Scribus.

Lack of Artboards makes working with multiple elements and pages quite tiresome, as sometimes you might want to export several assets at once, instead of copy-pasting them.

Currently the user interface is also a bit clumsy and not intuititive. Customizations are kind of limited and HiDPI support is stll lacking (especially on Linux.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Working with multi pages document is hard (PDF) as no artboards are supported. External software for merging pages is needed. User Interface is quite cluttered and non customizable. Some bugs in the line height settings when inserting type.

As a designer using Linux, Inkscape is one of the few, if not the only tool available for doing Illustration and UX Design. Vectors mean that it's lossless so you can prepare perfect documents with specific requirements. In the past, it has shown the Inkscape had the best support for SVG which work right away on the web. As open source software it is also independent from any company.

Inkscape review by Marin K.
Technician
E-Learning

"Why i only use Inkscape "

What do you like best?

I like that its a free and open source alternative of vector drawing software. I find it has its own learning curve but yet easy to get the hang of it. It does not compare to Illustrator and it does not require you to have prior experience with this kind of software.

It has great export tools and can export almost to any format.

If you are new in design its a good way to start.

What do you dislike?

The manipulation of objects is very basic and the plugins need another approach in comparison to Illustrator which in my opinion takes more time to achieve the same goal.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Its one of the best open source tools out there in vector drawing and i would suggest it to anyone who wants to get creative.

With Inkscape i design logos or illustrations which i sell in websites as Redbubble or Printful. This process lets me experiment with my creativity and also encourages me in creating more awesome work. I also use it to manipulate my drawings which i post on my other social medias and in the end i don't have to use other similar software to conclude my work.

Inkscape review by beth a.
Video/sound production

"Inkscape makes vector creating quick and easy"

What do you like best?

I like inkscape because I can easily make and edit vectors in a simple format software. Inkscape offers many tools for object creating. The drawing and shape tools work really smoothly. I like how you can group certain objects together and edit them all at once. This makes the overall workflow faster. Inkscape is also capable of handing node editing. You can set certain nodes to edit or convert and object you made to a path with editable points.

What do you dislike?

Render on inkscape can take a long time. I also do not like how inkscape does not support as many file formats as other vector software. The text features are also very lacking and they can lag a lot when you are trying to change between different fonts. The brush strokes are nice but there are not a lot of options to choose from. The interface is also pretty dated. With some updating they could add a more user friendly layout and features.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend any company to try inkscape.

I use inkscape for vector creating and editing. Inkscape has improve the speed and quality of my workflow.

Inkscape review by Charles B.

"A good free alternative of illustrator"

What do you like best?

Its a free good alternative to Illustrator or Corel Draw nice to work with vector graphics, has great tools like spray gun, colour picker, and the auto trace image is sensitive, the resize option is awesome, is compatible with linux and use it for a lot of works with vectors.

What do you dislike?

Learning curve, and sometimes has random crashes, It also doesn't configure itself. Sadly you have to do that manually. but with the updates now, is more stable.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This program can do that illustrator cant, is a free program with nice tools for resizing and vectors, that is so handy for some works.

I use Inkscape to convert or redraw rastered images as vector images, has tools that i use a lot in my works. It's easy to use, works on GNU/Linux and is totally free.

Inkscape review by Amy F.

"best app to outline"

What do you like best?

Inkscape is free and its the biggest advantage of inscape over most of the vector drawing tools in the market. There are a variety of tools to choose from and you will have great control over them too. There are many tools which are designed for different purposes like editing and drawing. the interface is beautiful even thou it can be customized you can collapse a few of them to make your own workspace.i find this tool greatly in use while trying to outline images and create vectors from them. another great feature is filters, there is a huge selection of filters avaialble for your need and more can be added too. the tool is popular around the designers and many addons are avaialble tothe program to make it even better and work easily. the program is also light compared to other vector graphics programs in the market so you dont need a high end system t orun it.

What do you dislike?

there is no way to work on multiple pages with inscape and i find it really frustrating sometimes. als othere is no gradiesnt tool which is pretty handy when designing and colouring vectirs.there is no PMS colour support in this tool.

Recommendations to others considering the product

the tools is free, please try and find for yourself

designing and editing vector graphics.

Inkscape review by User in Marketing and Advertising

"Easy to use but lacking in features. "

What do you like best?

I like how easy inkscape is to use for illustrating and designing vectors. One of the big aspects about the software is that it is free. It also has a really good support team behind the software. They constantly release updates that fixes bugs.

What do you dislike?

One thing that I do not like about inkscape is that it can lag sometimes crash. When you are working with very high resolution illustrations, inkscape can have a hard time keeping up with the editing process. There are also a lot of bugs in inkscape. Overall, they do release updates to fix most of them, but his is very annoying.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I would recommend inkscape to anyone that is not wanting to spend a lot of money on a fancy illustration software.

I use inkscape for vector design and illustrating. Inkscape makes it a lot easier to create vectors and integrate them within an illustration that I am also working on.

Inkscape review by Aleksander K.
Print Operator

"Free Vector Art Program with some Bitmap Features and Excellent SVG Support"

What do you like best?

I most like that Inkscape has excellent SVG features, which makes working with web graphics easier and more effective with small file size with perfect quality with any scaling factor.

What do you dislike?

What I dislike about Inkscape is that the toolbox and menus are very different to Adobe Illustrator, so I can not reuse my knowledge that I already have.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Free

I use Inkscape to create vector graphics, that I save as SVG graphics. I use SVG graphics as they have the benefit of having small file sizes on the web, and can be scaled with perfect quality. They also display at excellent quality with Retina displays (iPad etc.) without any special treatment.

Inkscape review by Itai B.
SDK Developer

"A very flowing and intuitive vector graphics design tool"

What do you like best?

It's super easy to learn, and gives you many options and tools to get the perfect drawing you aim for.

It has an on-image gradient editor (in addition to a another gradient editor), for example, and advanced automatic raster tracing tool. It also provides features you usually can find in raster editing software - only on vector graphics, which is super cool!

It has many export formats for vector, and it can also export to a .PNG file.

It has Smart Guides (Just drag from the ruler, then use the Alt key to rotate) and a configurable multiple Rectangular and Axonometric (hex) grids.

What do you dislike?

It can get slow when there are a lot of details (I mean - A LOT OF DETAILS, like at least a couple of MB of details), but it's getting better with the versions (and of course the hardware)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a shot. It's free, runs everywhere, and up to the standards of usability and features.

Free, open source vector graphic design tool for just about any purpose.

Inkscape review by David B.
Graphic Designer / Web Designer & Developer
Automotive

"A Professional Replacement for Adobe Illustrator"

What do you like best?

As a graphic designer, I have to create and edit quite a few vector files. Until a year ago, Adobe Illustrator was my go-to software for vector art. I friend of mine recommended Inkscape, and I have to say that I love it! The interface is clean with little clutter in the toolbars. Rendering seems to be a lot faster than Illustrator and the pen tool feels more precise.

What do you dislike?

A dark theme to the interface would be awesome. The bright screen kills my eyes after hours of work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a robust system for illustrations and vector creation, Inkscape may be the tool you need.

I've moved most of my work with decals and logos to Inkscape. The fast rendering, precise tools, and additional hotkeys make this software a breeze compared to most others.

Inkscape review by McKenna K.
Architectural Designer at Paradigm V2
Architecture & Planning

"Confusing but Promising"

What do you like best?

It's free and a decent replacement for Illustrator if you know how to use it right away. Knowing how to use the program is ideal as well, but there's plenty of other tools in existence to help you with this too, so it's accessible in it''s own right. It's capable, acceptable for a free program, and gets the job done in an appropriate and/or proportionate amount f time.

What do you dislike?

Lack of 'tips'. In order to use this program efficiently, you need to watch 10+ tutorials just to understand basic button uses. The tools themselves are not clear on use, even with descriptions and emblems that are supposed to be representing use. Working in the artboard space is limiting and the graphs/bars where the tools are housed aren't easily movable. Having a cluttered work-space seems to be a never ending issue.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Watch tutorials on how to use it before you use it. Using the tools through trial and error doesn't really work. Once you learn this program, it's worth more than its weight.

Typeface and letterform were a hassle to use in minor programs. Inkscape has a wonderful amount of tools with different effects, lighting and warping techniques, and area selections. It's an acceptable equivalent to Illustrator and better than any of the other options compared with Illustrator. A good way to explain it is if you're looking at a scale of one to 10, 10 being Illustrator and anything 'free' under 5, Gimp is a 5 and despite also being free, Inkspace is a 6.5 due to the capabilities of the program.

Inkscape review by Donna B.
free-lance photographer
Photography

"Easy to Use Vector Illustrations"

What do you like best?

Tools, especially Bezier curve tool, are much easier to learn to control than the identical tools in Illustrator. Both Adobe Illustrator and Inkscape are installed on my computer, but I invariably open Inkscape. I almost can't remember the last time I opted for Illustrator instead.

Layers make it easy to organize my illustrations for editing later.

Preferences let me set InkScape to recognize that I have a pressure-sensitive tablet.

What do you dislike?

Slow to open, but once the program is open, I don't have any problems with speed.

The program doesn't hold exact illustration sizes, The changes are miniscule and may be related to the number of pixels in the line stroke.

It would be really great if there was an option to keep the stroke width when resizing. I realize that in most instances, users would want the program to scale the stroke width when resizing, but for my purposes, I sometimes want the number of pixels in the stroke to be constant. Sewing pattern pieces need the same size border on all pieces, but if I decide to change the size of a pocket, for instance, I'll need to alter my stroke width.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for vector image software, this is a great program. Even though I have Adobe Illustrator CS4 on my computer, I've been using Inkscape almost exclusively for a few years.

I'm a photographer just getting started with using my photographs to create fabric art patterns. I place my photograph on a layer and then create new layers for a line drawing of my photograph. These images are simplified compared to the detail visible in my photograph - reduced detail is a great benefit when using photographs in Hatch embroidery software and Electric Quilt software.

Inkscape review by John P.
Professional Photographer
Entertainment

"Inkscape is good for color touchups. "

What do you like best?

I like inkscape because it is really easy to color correct your images and matches colors. It is really easy to upload an image into inkscape and you can export it as many different file types. I also like how inkscape comes with many different predefined shapes that are easy to add to your photo and edit them.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the interface that inkscape has. It seems like it has not been updated in a long time. Also, some of the paint brushes do not work as well as other software that I have used before. Inkscape seems to have a hard time with 3d graphics on a mac. This is a major set back for me at times.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Inkscape is easy to try, but there are better programs on the market.

I use inkscape in my photo editing process.

Inkscape review by Marc W.
Account Manager

"Don't get too comfortable"

What do you like best?

Inkscape is open source, free, and easy to use from the get go. It allows you to learn the basics of vector design without the complicated interface of Adobe products, and did I mention it's FREE!? It's great if you're just designing a logo here or there, and will give you most of the tools you need to do simple jobs effectively. The image trace is one of the best I've used, which is where this really sets itself apart.

What do you dislike?

It has a tendency to freeze on large projects, doesn't export to industry standard file types such as .ai, and therefore sending to a client can be difficult, especially if they'd like to make edits of their own. Additionally, while it's easy to use, setting it up is difficult as you technically have to download two separate applications to make it run on a Mac (I'm unsure whether or not this is required on Windows machines). This makes it somewhat clunky to just get up and go with, but I'll reiterate that it IS easy to use once you have everything downloaded and started up.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are designer doing lot of digital graphics, this program might not be what you're looking for, but if you're just learning vector graphics, or just need something for projects here and there, this might just be the perfect fit!

It allowed me to create simple designs instead of relying on outsourced design partners, which quickened response time without costing any extra money. This gave us a leg up, allowing quick turnarounds and in some cases, same day sales, with customers for whom timeline was a major issue.

Inkscape review by george g.
Audio Video Technician
Consumer Electronics

"Inkscape is easy to use. "

What do you like best?

I use Inkscape for creating different objects and designs to add to photos. Inkscape has a lot of different editing features that can help create anything imaginable. The text tool in Inkscape works really well. I also like how Inkscape has really fast image rendering. The brushes in Inkscape also work really well.

What do you dislike?

I do not like how Inkscape is not compatible with many different file formats. There has been many different times where I want to add a file to edit in Inkscape, but I have to convert it over to a PNG to able to open it with Inkscape.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Inkscape is great little software for creating objects and painting. Give it a try.

I used Inkscape fore creating different objects/designs for photo editing and manipulation of album art work.

Inkscape review by Rahman M.
Freelance Graphic Designer
Design
(Myself Only)

"It is a small, free program that is high quality, successful and very fast."

What do you like best?

It is a very powerful software, it does a pretty good job after learning, the files are xml based, which can be opened in a text editor, partially corrupted files can be recovered.

What do you dislike?

reminds gimp with the ugliness of the interface icons. absolutely effort has been made to make the selection cursor of node / curve editor so ugly. gives the best performance and appearance (because it shares the system theme) under linux. Since it works with x11 emulator under osx, it sucks both in terms of performance, appearance and usage (the shortcuts are incomplete / incorrect due to the inability to use the x11in command key).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Definitely recommended.

professional software for preparing posters and graphical abstracts is complicated and I have not always been able to learn them, so I always use copy-paste, primitive methods like power point.

Inkscape review by Natalia M.
PhD Student, Health Psychology & Clinical Science
Research

"A great solution for engaging scientific posters"

What do you like best?

How easily you can adapt existing designs. It is easy to learn to use and you don't have to create things from scratch (unless you want to). So if you download a template that other users have designed from the Internet, you can adapt it to fit your purposes and end up with really engaging materials to convey your findings.

What do you dislike?

I had a bit if a hard time figuring out how to translate my poster presentation into a high-quality print at first. But I Googled it and figured it out, and it looked beautiful when I printed it

Scientific poster presentations tend to look pretty basic ... and sometimes boring. One day I realized it doesn't have to be this way, and so I started looking for a way to make my findings more easily convey-able and my poster more engaging for a specific conference. I found it with Inkscape

Inkscape review by Morgan D.
Department Administrator
Retail

"Graphic Imaging at Its Best!"

What do you like best?

We love opensource software, because we get all the features we want and need, without the crazy Adobe price tag, and it is also super fun to play with if you just want to do something easy and fun, like create posters and tattoo designs.

What do you dislike?

Not necessarily intuitive, unless you have experience with Illustrator. They do offer training videos, but you should still have some experience to use.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Go for it. If there is anything you don't like, you can always go back to the programs you were previously working with, but I doubt you will!

We do a lot of social media advertising, using backgrounds and product images. Using the PNG function is awesome once you get use to the tools. We are able to add images and graphics to all of our designs.

Inkscape review by Vikram D.

"Great tool to create awesome SVGs"

What do you like best?

Inkscape is a cross platform graphics editing tool specialized in Scalable Vector Graphics.I used Inkscrape as a primary software for designing tee-shirts graphics. It is so easy to convert a regular pixel based image into a Scalable Graphics.

Inkscape has the same level of Alternative to Adobe Illustrator as the GIMP is to Photoshop.

There are literally endless features that you can incorporate into a image.

What do you dislike?

It is a slow and resource heavy tool. The more objects you add to the existing artwork the more lag you experience. But I think it is fare at this price (free).

Another thing i found down side is that complex images with lots of colors tends to lose some of its quality.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It is quite a tool for any kind of graphics editing.

I use Inkscape as a pass time on my weekends. providing artwork for online website and get paid for it.

Sometimes i do use it as a quick way to generate icons and backgrounds for the work part.

Inkscape review by Camila M.

"Diseños vectoriales de código abierto y multiplataforma"

What do you like best?

La cantidad de recursos y herramientas que ofrece en una herramienta gratis y de código abierto, también es multi-plataforma, compatible con Windows, Mac y GNU / Linux, es compatible con efectos de anti-aliasing, soporta archivos PNG con transparencia, tanto para importación cuanto para exportación, tiene una infinidad de ajustes de texto como ajuste de espacio entre letras, trabajar con capas o hacer que el texto siga un trazado, todos recursos que damos por hecho en todos los programas vectoriales comerciales modernos pero que impresionan en un software ofrecido de forma gratuita.

What do you dislike?

Su interfaz gráfica parece bastante obsoleta, recordando las de Windows XP, aunque las herramientas son fáciles de identificar y la curva de aprendizaje no es demasiado dura.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Se trata de un programa gratuito, es muy recomendable que lo prueben antes de pasar a opciones mas complejas y caras como Corel Draw o Adobe Illustrator / Adobe creative cloud

Una herramienta vectorial multiplataforma con recursos avanzados y amplia compatibilidad, el depto creativo tiene toda la suite de Adobe pero en todos los demás ordenadores tenemos instalado Inkscape y Gimp asi podemos acceder a los archivos originales creados ahí.

Inkscape review by Kelly H.
Independent Presenter
Cosmetics
(Myself Only)

"The Best FREE Graphic Design Program "

What do you like best?

I absolutely love Inkscape and use it on a daily basis. Inkscape is great way to design logos, catalogs, business cards, etc. It is easy to understand and navigate. Exporting to PNG is a great feature as well.

What do you dislike?

Since Inkscape is free, it does crash often. I make sure to save frequently, it would be a shame to lose all of my hard work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend you to save your projects often. Inkscape does like to crash randomly and it would be terrible to lose all of your hard work!

Inkscape lets me create personalized Business Cards and Logos. I also use it to create different images for my website. It benefits me and my business because I am able to create exquisite images easily.

Inkscape review by Kimberly F.
Sales and Design Consultant
Retail

"Great for Free Software"

What do you like best?

Inkscape works well for cropping pictures, and designing simple to medium difficulty graphics to use on the web or for print design.

What do you dislike?

Inkscape will randomly close and you lose all your work since your last save. Typical of many graphics programs. Save your work often! The color selection for bucket painting can also be a little persnickity at times, forcing you to go back and change the color of your area later.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Inkscape is free, so the price is right. If your business needs design software that they use occasionally, Inkscape should work great for you.

Inkscape and Gimp are our only two graphics programs we use for both design of our products and everything that goes on the web, from our pin designs to photography editing.

Inkscape review by Liz B.
Social Media Manager

"Inkscape"

What do you like best?

I love how simple it is to use. There's a lot of youtube tutorials that help you to create the graphics you need.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it quits on me unexpectedly. That's frustrating so remember to save often.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just remember to save often in case the application quits unexpectedly. It's a little confusing at first but there's a number of free tutorials online that do a great job of explaining how to use the program. It's great for a free service!

I'm saving money instead of using PhotoShop. I'm creating cool designs and logos for customers that want something unique and tailor made.

Inkscape review by Wendy L.
Social Media Coordinator
Events Services

"Great for creating SVG, DXF, PNG files"

What do you like best?

I like that I can export my files to various formats easily. I also am really pleased with the flexibility offered to create a design using basic shapes and weld them OR I can hand draw or trace designs.

What do you dislike?

There was a little bit of a learning curve, however, the online tutorials (both in print and video) were very helpful. I wish it were simpler to import other images or designs into layers, but it's workable as it is as well.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try! The price makes it worth it. :)

I use it to create files in various formats for customers who need cut files for different cutting machines, or need image files for various design projects. The main benefit has been the ability to create quality SVG files from my designs.

Inkscape review by Сергей .
Художник компьютерной графики
Graphic Design

"Map design, drawing illustrations and other computer graphics works."

What do you like best?

The fact that this product is Open Source. Also I like the simplicity and versatility at the same time. There are some features that are unique in my opinion, and I would like to have them in other image editors (eg in the panel to align and arrange a function to align along the edge).

What do you dislike?

Instability in front of large files and a large number of effects in the working document. The program is simply switched off during operation. Too simple panel layers, not possible to see the object in the panel. It is necessary to use a complex XML editor I also wanted to be more compact and stylish interface.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I advise you to use Inkscape. This is good product for beginners graphic artists and other users. Very suitable for learning and teaching vector graphics.

I can not create complex illustrations. But it is possible to use Inkscape for commercial purposes free of charge.

Inkscape review by Raymond Z.
Publisher
Publishing
(Myself Only)

"Inkscape is really easy to use and you get excellent results"

What do you like best?

Inkscape is really easy to get into, but you do need to know how to draw, obviously. However, the basic tools are there - just like with similair illustration programs, so novice users still can have something ready within minutes. And since the program is open source, there is a lively user base to show you the way if you get lost. I've found a few nice tutorials on youtube.

I can't wait for the next update.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the options you need are hard to find and the program structure can be slightly different then you might expect, especially if you are used to Adobe programs. I also had some memory problems.

The color management is again not hard to find, but for me I still have no clue how to use the Alpha (opacity). So at some point you do need to read the manual :)

Recommendations to others considering the product

Well, Inkscape is a free program with most of the features used by paid programs. It has a slow learning curv, so everyone can use it.

I use it mainly for creating art and logo's, and that works. I create book illustrations with Inkscape. In the beginning it was hard to find out how everything worked, but now - less then a year later - I can almost make identical illustrations as I would on paper, but with the benefit that I can easily scale the image.

Inkscape review by Rahul V.
Software Engineer
Internet

"Inkscape : Illustrator alternative?"

What do you like best?

The most important parameter to like Inkscape is its cost. It is an open source software. It is free to use. There are thousands of filters to choose from. Bevels, textures, patterns, overlays and many more are included in the filters. You can use Inkscape as a painting tool also. There are layers, fills, text, shapes and much more tools to create the perfect picture. The interface is quite simple. It may get someone quite some time to become a pro but it is quite easy.

What do you dislike?

The main problem i had using Inkscape is the lag. After applying some filters and layers and all, there is an occasional lag that i felt. The zoom features is considerably slow. Sometimes it gets annoying when the project is almost at the finish line and the lag appears. Adobe Illustrator is much better at this but then the price tag is quite a bit high.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The software might get troublesome at first but then you will get use to it quickly. The working efficiency will increase rapidly with Inkscape.

For creating vector graphics for customers and developing new logos for companies, i use Inkscape. The main benefit is the cost. The software is totally free so it is easy for someone with skills to make some good value out of this. As compare to the cost of Adobe Illustrator, I would rather use Inkscape as it can do almost all the things that Illustrator can do.

Inkscape review by Sydney S.
Choir Director, Youth Leader, Worship Leader
Music

"New User "

What do you like best?

I liked that there were online tutorials that taught you different skills. Once you got the hang of one skill it was transferable.

What do you dislike?

I did not like the vast complexity of the program. It takes a lot to do simple things. the process to learn is very long and a lot of time had tore dedicated because one wrong click and I could lose everything.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Look up lots of tutorials before and while using. It will be the easiest way to learn it.

I was using it for pictures that I couldn't find in google images for a logo. I have been able to create my own digital drawing. this solves the issue of having to hire someone else to create it for you.

Inkscape review by Andres  T.
General Manager
Telecommunications

"Actually a very complete tool for graphic designers"

What do you like best?

I got very surprised, with the fast and easy way to make some vectors, and even take a piece from another format, provinient from other software. Very likely, and i get it in my own born language (spanish).

What do you dislike?

Its hard to say that i get dislike with this software, but there's some issues with the layer configurations, that give some little reason to think in this softwares weakness.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Inkscape its, strong and very flexible software, go for it and get fly on your creativity. You cand find it multilanguage.

Im actually get in new with the software, but im starting to take a good control with my animation and my characters. Doing some basic forms and way too more.

Inkscape review by David N.
Owner

"The power to do it myself."

What do you like best?

It's free, as a replacement to super expensive software. Has all the same features.

What do you dislike?

It's got a steep learning curve if you're new to this type of software. I was very lost for a while, and tutorials weren't really helping. I just had to get in and 'do it', before it all clicked.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It does everything that Illustrator does, at a much better price.

We lost our graphics, and we were able to use Inkscape to rebuild based off what we had. It has amazing functionality.

Inkscape review by Joshua D.
Assistant Marching Band Director