iMovie Reviews & Product Details

Marketing and Innovation

"Easy-to-use video software with all the basics features"

What do you like best?

iMovie is a software that anyone can use.. students for a project or fancy presentation, pros who want something quickly and simple or a person that does not know how to make videos but need to.

As all the Apple software, iMove is user friendly. You insert a thing by dragging it, you delete when you press delete.. pretty simple and fast.

You can also add credits and text really easy.

What do you dislike?

If you want to make some cool and elaborated audio mix, you should be forgetting about iMovie.

You can't also put two videos in the same frame, like you can in Final Cut Pro. Same thing with photos.

Exportation is really, really slow. Even though you have a lot of options, all of them take a long time.

More effects could be added.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

You cannot expect iMovie to be a pro video editing software because it is not. I would recommend it for students or small businesses that do not need a lot of effort in their videos. You can make a good video but not a professional one because its lack of features.

Sometimes we make videos about the events we make: conferences, courses, certifications, symposiums.. and since it is really easy and fast to ouse, it helps us.

Quality of exportation is good or you can upload it directly to YouTube.

Exportation is really slow even if the video is not that long.

What is iMovie?

iMovie for Mac lets you enjoy your videos like never before. Browse your clips easily, instantly share your favorite moments, and create Hollywood‑style trailers and beautiful movies at stunning 4K resolution.

iMovie Screenshots

iMovie Profile Details

iMovie Profile Details

Apple
Description
Apple’s three software platforms — iOS, OS X and watchOS — provide seamless experiences across all Apple devices and empower people with breakthrough services including the App Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay and iCloud.
1976

1-50 of 231 total iMovie reviews

iMovie Reviews

1-50 of 231 total iMovie reviews
Freelance Writer

"Great Movie Editing Software for Beginners and Experts"

What do you like best?

Not only is iMovie easy to use it also has a few more expert, technical areas where you are not getting the feel that you are being babied into movie editing. I am a broadcast journalism major and although it‘s not Final Cut Pro, it has enough editing possibilities to make it a great software to use!

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that there are a few key points missing from the editing software--especially if you have worked with Final Cut Pro before. The newest iMovie edition, however, can definitely get the job done with movie or video editing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would definitely consider getting iMovie. However, if you want to add music, make sure you have a few iTune songs available up your sleeve--the songs on the program are not exactly the best ones.

Creating video from my clients‘ rough footage can be done easily through iMovie. The benefits of using this program is the fact that is FREE! Yes, you don‘t have to pay for absolutely anything and can still get the skills you need to be able to work on a movie or video.

Information Technology Specialist

"Un Editor de Videos para todos"

What do you like best?

iMovie facilita la edición de cualquier video con una calidad profesional, simplemente hay que elegir los videos que deseas que formen parte de tu película, luego agregarle unos efectos, un fondo musical y uno que otro efecto, y en cuestión de minutos ya tienes una película de gran calidad hecha desde la comodidad de tu casa.

Algo que me gusta mucho es la opción de crear tráilers de películas con las plantillas precargadas de iMovie, la cual hace que pueda convertir cualquier video en un tráiler que puede entretener a todos.

iMovie puedo usarlo desde mi Mac y continuar el trabajo en mi iPhone o en mi iPad, y sin mayor complejidad, si bien en el iPhone es un poco mas complejo por el tamaño de la pantalla, se pueden hacer pequeños retoques muy fácilmente desde básicamente la misma interfaz sin necesidad de usar otra aplicación de edición de videos.

A pesar de que iMovie es una aplicación para los aficionados, cumple con muchos de los requisitos que puedan necesitar un editor profesional.

What do you dislike?

Al realizar alguna edición de alguna película el rendimiento del equipo suele verse degradado, lo que hace que el ejecutar otras tareas con el Mac sean un poco mas lentas.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

iMovie esta pensado para aficionados, para realizar ediciones pequeñas a videos familiar o de amigos, no espere que tendrá una aplicación con características de nivel profesional.

Me permite realizar edición de videos como si fuese un editor profesional, desde una aplicación que funciona excelente dentro de mi Mac.

Marketing Director

"Best Video Editor for Noobs!!"

What do you like best?

I love iMovie for three reasons: 1) It's free (you have it pre-installed after buying a Mac); 2) It's incredibly user friendly, allowing you to edit videos without any previous experience; 3) It's simple and not bloated, with the most popular features you may need.

What do you dislike?

A drawback is that it is a bit memory hungry. I don't expect a video editor to be very light, but at times, iMovie can just freeze up. It makes me wait with a spinning ball untill I can finally resume to editing my video.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're on a budget or simply someone with little to no experience in editing videos – iMovie is the perfect software to start. All of the future video editors you may find, like FinalCut – they are all very similar to the base interface of iMovie. As a result, once you get used to iMovie, you'll be able to learn how to use other video editors much seamlessly.

We create video tutorials for YouTube. All of the videos I create personally with a screencast + audio voiceover. To edit them, I use iMovie instead of FinalCut simply because iMovie has all of the basic stuff you may need to make your video look polished enough for the public eye.

Technology Based Realtor in Las Vegas
Real Estate

"iMovie Rocks!"

What do you like best?

Makes it very easy to put together great looking videos with music and/or titles. There are also templates for making quick movies and "trailers" that will amaze your friends. The music and edits are already there all you have to do is plug and play the video shots you desire. This is really amazing and fun.

What do you dislike?

Editing audio is a pain. The crazy thing is that it was actually easier to do this in the earlier version. This program only works on Apple Mac platform.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

iMovie is great for making quick videos. Also, if you want to have lots of fun, try creating a Trailer. They are amazing! It will make you look like a real pro. Amaze your friends and clients. For the price, you can not beat this video editor. The only downside is that it only works on Mac.

Making quick great looking videos for little or no money. We use this all the time when creating quick, inexpensive and elegant videos for business.

Property Management Assistant
Entertainment

"Novice to Expert in days"

What do you like best?

What I love about iMovie is that it's really simple to use. You don't have to be terribly proficient with editing to use the software. And if you are proficient then you can easily turn something ordinary into the extraordinary. It has a very sleek design, and it's not crowded, clutched or hard to navigate.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to say what I dislike for iMovie because it's so easy to use. However there is always room for improvement,

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The number one thing I would suggest is adding more templates. Simply for those that don't have a creative vision in mind, they'll be able to customize a video template to help express themselves or their project. I am always a huge advocate of tutorials that are located on the application. This way the user is able to learn without having to outsource other applications for help.

I use iMovie for making game trailers and simple presentation that need to shine. No one likes death by powerpoint, so why not use a video instead?

Merchandiser

"Simple, clean, easy to use!"

What do you like best?

I like how everything is there at my fingertips! I don't have to go searching through several windows to find what I need. Drop down menus and pop-up windows make it to where I don't have to look away from my video editing, even when I'm searching for the perfect sound-effects.

What do you dislike?

One of the recent updates kept causing my software to crash, but when the newest update came out, it solved the issue. In terms of actual editing, I find it mildly irritating that I can't layer multiple overlays over one clip of video... but in the grand scheme of things, it's a small complaint.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely play around with the product! This software can do a lot of fun and interesting things in terms of editing. This is what I used to start my YouTube channel, and I know multiple "big" YouTubers STILL choose to use iMovie, even though they are rich & can afford something "better."

I use iMovie for editing YouTube videos & this is so far the best program I've used.

Urban Planning Graduate
Architecture & Planning

"Very simple but very limited"

What do you like best?

I like that iMovie is simple and easy to use. You can compile photos and/or videos in a matter of minutes.

What do you dislike?

IMovie is very limited in its functionality. There is a myriad of features that would make sense to include, but iMovie chose to skip out on them. As an example, when you add text, you can't even move it around the screen to place it wherever you want to.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you want to create simple slideshows or videos, you can do that easily with iMovie. However, if you want to implement text or effects or just be able to customize it more, go with a different program such as Final Cut Pro, etc.

iMovie can be helpful for putting together short videos or photos slideshows for a business presentation, etc.

Founder, Owner, Glitter Tosser Extraordinaire
(Myself Only)

"Makes me look like a professional"

What do you like best?

The simple videos I can create with imovie make me look like I know what I'm doing - ha - even thought I don't really. I am able to add music, voice layovers, cut frames out I don't want/need, and add an intro and outro to my videos. And they look great.

What do you dislike?

I wish it were a little more user friendly...I don't want to have to go to you tube to figure it all out. Some of the language isn't obvious to me, but that could TOTALLY be 'user' issue.

I am not paying someone else hundreds of dollars to create videos for my social media and website. It's a very good thing.

Graphic & Web Designer
(Myself Only)

"Ease of use for Beginners"

What do you like best?

imovie is great for people that are not tech savvy. It's simple to figure out and navigate around. It uses icons to help you know what to click-for instance uploading to YouTube there is an icon to click for ease of use. It is great for your basic movie editing needs.

What do you dislike?

There isnt much I can complain about the software that came with my mac. Its servers its purpose as a movie editing software that is user friendly. If I need more advance movie editing software I would have to purchase it. While this is free with my macbook.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try imovie first before going out an buying an overly complicated software. It is great for basic needs and if you feel it's not enough then I would look into more options.

I am able to deliver quick videos to people that need something created quickly. It isnt complicated so it saves me time. Which I am thankful for.

Ms

"Best video editing solution"

What do you like best?

I like that it makes it exceptionally simple to assemble extraordinary looking video recordings with music as well as titles. There are additionally formats for making fast videos and trailers that will astound your companions and friends. It has a smooth plan, and it's not packed, gripped or difficult to explore. What's more, on the off chance that you are capable, at that point you can undoubtedly transform something conventional into the remarkable.

What do you dislike?

I discover it somewhat chafing that I can't layer different overlays more than one clasp of video.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

On the off chance that you are needing a spotless looking video to use for an introduction, I would suggest iMovie as it is a decent alternative. It will enable you to take care of business rapidly and viably.

I am utilizing iMovie to cut activitys of rendered spaces for customers to see. Again and again, when we take a customer through a computerized model with live clicking, we experience slacks, or other unanticipated miscues. This can be diverting and monotonous. iMovie enables us to grandstand a cleaned, provocative item that the customer can feel amped up for.

Doula

"Straight Forward, Easy, Starter Editing Software"

What do you like best?

iMovie is super simple to learn and most people can master all of the features in a short amount of time. It dabbles in a little bit of every aspect of editing and has great effects and features for such a basic software. One of my favorite things about iMovie is how easy it is to edit audio layers precisely, with little to no previous experience in audio clips.

What do you dislike?

iMovie is pretty easy to outgrow fairly quickly. After using and mastering all of the features in a short amount of time, it can leave you wanting more from it. One of my biggest dislikes is the lack of text fonts and styles that can be layered over the videos.

We use iMovie multiple times a week to create short intros and ads to point people from other social media platforms to our Youtube channel. If you need to create a quick, simple project, it is the perfect go to.

Research Assistant
Hospital & Health Care
(10,001+ employees)

"Great introductory video editing software despite shortfalls"

What do you like best?

The fact that iMovie is free to download with a Mac computer makes Apple a desirable option for designers and those looking to have access to a basic video editing software. Even as I have become more experienced in video editing, I continue to use iMovie because of its easy-to-use interface, simplicity, and its free price.

What do you dislike?

I do wish that there was slightly more functionality in certain areas of iMovie or plug-ins that could be downloaded to provide additional functionality. In particular, I wish that I could overlay images like speech bubbles and cartoons similar to the way text can be, but I have been unable to do this or find a plug-in that would allow this. More flexibility with text on the video would give iMovie all of the functionality I would need, and I think most novice filmmakers, to create basic movies.

iMovie has allowed my research lab to produce videos at no cost to us. We have been able to test different styles of videos during a research project easily and effectively, which has been incredibly useful for our research moving forward.

Exhibit Designer
Museums and Institutions

"Great for the Simple Edit"

What do you like best?

We use iMovie to edit short animated walkthroughs of exhibit spaces to use in client presentations. Most of our edits are simple with slight color tweaks, speed, cropping, panning, and simple transitions, but iMove handles this wonderfully.

What do you dislike?

While handling the simple edits well, if I wanted to take the big leap into a more professionally edited video, I would likely have to look elsewhere for a larger palette of editing tools. The Ken Burns effect is nice and all, but can be laggy when using a high DPI image.

We are using iMovie to cut animations of rendered spaces for clients to see. Too often, when we take a client through a digital model with live clicking, we encounter lags, or other unforeseen miscues. This can be distracting and tedious. iMovie allows us to showcase a polished, sexy product that the client can feel excited about.

none
Religious Institutions

"Simple!"

What do you like best?

There is a very easy user interface to this program. It has professional quality options, yet grandma could use it to make a slideshow of her favorite pictures from christmas last year. The fact that it can be used on mobile devices, and shared projects between there and the Mac computers is a very nice feature for people working on more difficult or lengthy projects!

What do you dislike?

The simplicity of use means it doesnt offer as many features as the big name programs for video editing. Essentially this is just apple's version of Movie Maker. It is simple, effective, but not really the one I would use for doing major video editing, or trying to even make a very clean bumper promo.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are wanting a clean looking video to use for a presentation, IMovie is a good option! It will help you get the job done quickly and effectively. Keep in mind that this is not a product to compare to Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro... This is meant for more simple work on a quick basis. Easy user interface will help this one stick around for a long time!

The caption editing has really helped us to get the word out from our organization!

(10,001+ employees)

"i LOVE iMovie"

What do you like best?

iMovie is so user friendly, it's so easy to paste images, video, ect together. Add captions and music are so, so easy to use.

What do you dislike?

I wish the exporting process was a little faster and did not glitch as often. The exporting might not be directly linked to the program itself and moreso the computer however, that is something I dislike about the product.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would highly recommend using iMovie. It is very user- friendly, even to those who are not very experienced with technology. It is very easy to layer pictures, videos, music and captions. Everything pretty much drags into the program so the upload process is quick. There are variations of what you can do, where you can save and how you can export.

It is a free program on Mac's that are useful to teachers, especially when it comes to presentations like at Open House or Back to School Night. iMovie is a great way to merge and highlight your program and make it pleasing to the audience.

Pastor
Religious Institutions

"Simple process for my simple needs"

What do you like best?

I like how easy it is to cut my videos into the length I need.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, perhaps due to a glitch, it won't allow me to click and draw in order to cut the clip.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take the time to learn the ropes and really get into the details. I don't think I use iMovie as much or as well as I could. I'm not a film guy, so I get by, but I'm sure I could do a lot more and a lot higher quality stuff if I learned more about the capabilities of iMovie.

The main use we have for iMovie is cutting videos of our church's worship service down to just the sermon. We then post the sermon video, with intro and outro, and also grab the audio for our sermon podcast.

Marketing Associate

"A user-friendly editing tool for simple videos and presentations"

What do you like best?

The interface and controls in iMovie are extremely simple and easy to navigate and use. I think beginner and advanced video editors can use iMovie to create professional quality videos. The cursor and timeline controls and very intuitive. There are several hot keys we can use to make the process more smooth and streamlined. I like that we can see a preview image of a clip on the timeline for reference. Resizing and moving clips is done in a natural way with draggable endpoints and clips that can pop into position with automatic snapping.

What do you dislike?

There are definitely limited effects when it comes to iMovie editing. Most of the effects that stand out are basic effects like clip transitions and text titles. There aren't huge libraries of effects plugins we can add like in other more professional video editing software. Exporting the final video file is not a very smooth or customizable process. We're presented with just a few options that aren't always suitable for my video project specifications.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

iMovie is probably best for simple video editing where you need to add a few video clips, images, sound files (like voice-overs or background music) and text. If you need further processing, I'd recommend using a separate effects editor, like Adobe After Effects, and importing the processed video into iMovie for basic timeline editing.

I have been able to use iMovie to create simple and straightforward business presentations with still images and text. I also use it to piece short video clips together where something is being demonstrated visually. When I need to generate a video quickly, iMovie has been a great solution due to its intuitive controls and relatively fast processing times.

"Easy to Edit/Produce Videos"

What do you like best?

This program makes a beginner look like a pro when it comes to producing and editing videos. I started using this program to produce small videos for my organization. Once a video is cropped, I just drop it into the software and do some minor edits and then I'm ready to share my video! I also love that this program is free with my new Mac! This makes the program even more desirable!

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure if it is just me but sometimes it takes a longer time to convert to the needed format to share. I also wish it had better tutorials to learn from as I would like to encompass the whole software and utilize it for more projects at work!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Super easy and fun! I feel like a pro!

iMovie makes integrating webcast videos into easy "promo videos" that we can post on our website and app.

"Great Tool for Everyone!"

What do you like best?

What I like best is that you don't need to be a professional videographer or have prior video editing experience in order to create videos using iMovie. I needed it for a video project where I had to compile different videos together and add a voice over and I was able to do so very easily using this.

What do you dislike?

iMovie does not let you choose which format you would like to export your videos in, which can be frustrating and may require to convert the file of the video later in order to be able to post it on social media.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Since iMovie is free and it comes with apple products by default, it makes complete sense to use it as its free. Id highly reccomend, especially over the pricier alternatives.

A problem that we solved using iMovie is that we were finally able to add voiceover and compile videos that were to be posted on our social media pages. This made it a lot easier to make videos, rather than relying on a professional videographer.

"Great for New Video Editors!"

What do you like best?

What I like best is how easy it is to use iMovie. All I need to do is import the photos and videos I want to include as well as the music. Then, I can easily use snippets and make video transitions and make short video clips for free!

What do you dislike?

One of the issue is how limited iMovie is. There's not much you can do besides basic video editing such as trimming videos or combining videos. If you want to do real post-production edits, then iMovie is not the best application for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's great for short videos and if it's for simple tasks such as creating videos for social media. However, for more professional quality videos, I'd recommend looking into alternative applications that can allow you to do more than just basic video editing.

We needed to post videos on our social media platforms and this allowed me to make short videos that we were able to post without having a professional videographer do it for us.

Middle School Choir Director
Music

"iMovie is User Friendly"

What do you like best?

I like that it is easy to sit down at the computer, open iMovie, and create a completed project in a couple hours' time. The learning curve is very small, as the program is very user friendly.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that the click-and-drag function is less than ideal. iMovie does not always allow you to drag your media into the creation space from, for example, a computer desktop. Additionally, as with other apple products, apple does not always provide solutions for common, known issues online. It is often more helpful to search forum posts in order to solve a recurring problem.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a Macintosh computer, this application should be your first attempt in movie or slideshow creation.

iMovie is a great, free (for macs) option that allows anyone to create a movie production. You can add music from an audio file and pictures from an event to quickly create a slideshow. If you want to add more detail, you may--simply click on a given picture in the slideshow and edit the number of seconds it will be shown, how it enters and exits the screen, and so on.

"A simple video editor with intuitive controls"

What do you like best?

I love the intuitive functionality, which includes being able to drag and drop video assets such as video clips, images and sound files into the project timeline. We can also quickly adjust the end points of video clips by dragging either end left or right. The resized or sliced clips are then able to snap back to adjoining clips, which really helps to speed up the editing process.

What do you dislike?

I don't really like the special effects features that are included in iMovie. They don't have the professional feel that some other software, like Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro, have in their built-in effects. There also isn't a very diverse selection of output files for rendered iMovie videos. iMovie steers you towards common file types like MOV and MP4 and don't show you a ton of other options.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'd recommend iMovie for basic video editing. It is very intuitive and allows you to resize, slice and move clips very quickly. If you can take time to learn the hot keys, then the editing process can be even smoother and faster for you.

iMovie has been great for straightforward footage editing and adding background music to videos. I use many different editors for different effects, but iMovie is one of the easiest for adjusting video clips alone. I can render these clips at full resolution so no image quality is lost when I import the video into a different application.

Owner

"Easy and quick video editing"

What do you like best?

iMovie has been around since 1999, before Mac OS X. It's user-friendly, yet it contains some advanced features normally found on far more complex applications. For quickly editing simple videos, it's hard to go wrong with it. The user interface is intuitive and approachable, and yet it gives you access to powerful and precise tools.

What do you dislike?

Former versions supported dual-screen operation, with timeline and tool palettes on one display, and a full screen preview of the video being trimmed in another. The current version only uses a single display, which is a serious productivity hindrance especially for those using iMovie on a laptop. Its ability to remove hiss and hum from less-than-stellar audio could use beefing up.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're on a Mac, this will be your first video editor. Don't look down on it just because it's bundled with the operating system, it's really quite capable if you'll learn to use its basic features, and there's room to grow before you'll have to migrate to a more advanced NLE (nonlinear editor). The good news is that if you move to Final Cut Pro, you can import your iMovie projects directly into it.

I often use iMovie to edit short how-to videos of specific software functions, to quickly explain to customers what would otherwise take a lengthy textual description.

"iMovie is very user-friendly and reliable."

What do you like best?

The best part about iMovie is how user-friendly it is and how much of a reliable video editing tool it is. It is a great intro level video editing tool that can even be accessed from an iPhone. Also, you can upload content straight to YouTube from the iMovie software.

What do you dislike?

Overall, I am satisfied with this software but I don't like how much space iMovie projects take on your computer.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

iMovie is very simple to use and can do anything a video-editing software should. You can use it on any iOS devices. Also, it allows for direct uploads to YouTube.

iMovie has the capacities of a very professional software for video editing, and the interface is easy to get used too. It is not overwhelming and can do a lot for its price point. iMovie comes with beautiful titles and special effects.

"Great for simple and straightforward videos"

What do you like best?

The user interface is neat and easy to navigate. I can take a look at the interface and almost instantly know how to use the software. I like that I can drag and drop files directly into the software from my computer's folders. I can then drag those clips right into my video project's timeline for editing. The controls for splitting clips and adjusting clip length are very intuitive and allow me to quickly cut and piece video clips together.

What do you dislike?

iMovie has relatively limited effects options. If you want to do advanced editing, like color correction or video stabilization, the available options make it difficult to render high quality results. The transition and titles effects don't look very professional and are not highly customizable.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a Mac computer and are not very familiar with video editing software, iMovie is a great place to start. If you need more advanced editing tools, you should give Final Cut Pro a try. The controls are similar to iMovie's controls and it has many features for customizing and fine tuning your videos.

I'm able to quickly create videos with decent quality for use in social media, presentation and our website. We can deliver our company message in a more robust way with iMovie videos by adding titles and voice overs.

Head Of Marketing
Non-Profit Organization Management

"Ideal Software for Beginners "

What do you like best?

What I like most about iMovie is the ease of use and the friendly interface which makes the software ideal for beginners or quick projects. When a video needs to be done and you have not much time or resource (or experience whatsoever with movie editing software), iMovie comes in handy all the time. The implicit templates are helpful as well if you don't care about the outcome to be original, but if you do, making your own simple edits and effects is not rocket science at all either!

What do you dislike?

While very simple to use, the software has a lot of limitations compared to more professional and more "complicated" software. In means of implicit content and templates, there is not much variety and the content produced, will thus look very repetitive and standard.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

As with every content creating tool or software, it takes a bit of practice to get used to it; but you'll be a pro in no time. Don't just stick to the implicit templates and try to be creative and make your own visuals and use own footage and sound too in order to create an original video project

I use iMovie at work for simple video projects such as content for our social media channels; tutorials and guides on how to use our products and services as well as to create short internal videos such as educational content for our colleagues and volunteers.

Media Specialist
Education Management

"Great video creating and editing solution "

What do you like best?

The ease of use of this software is so great. I have used other software and this one by far is the best. Software is very ease to pick up and catch on. It has good templates and themes. I love the green screen feature and still photo capture.

What do you dislike?

I wish you could do more with the themes be able to change their colors, etc. Have more stock themes, transitions, title frames, etc. I would like to be able to creat my own title frames having words enter and exit how I want them to go not what is set.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go for it! I would make the switch. You will not be disappointed. I had to use another software for a class I was taking I got very frustrated and just wanted to use iMovie the whole time and couldn't. I promise you can't go wrong making the switch to iMovie.

I use to creat commercials, feature events, news stories, and instructional videos. The benefits are huge especially for schools. We are able to create and spotlight our school, students, and teachers. Students are able to create and spotlight themselves for school, class projects, etc.

Project Engineer / CAD Administrator
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

"Great starter editing program"

What do you like best?

It is free and built into any Mac computer. The program works well, but after getting into video editing more and more, you can easily tell what an "iMovie" edit is. iMovie does a few things that are easy to tell it is that program. Overall a great program to start video editing, pretty simple.

What do you dislike?

I wish in ways the program had a few more advanced features. I know this is a free program, but it doesn't seem like it has changed much in a while.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is a great program to start with. This will show you if you like video editing or not. It also doesn't cost anything, so it is a great no risk way to start a new hobby.

This has given me the ability to create video adds for the company.

"Quick and Easy to learn feature packed Video Editing software"

What do you like best?

iMovie is intuitive and the user interface very easy to navigate.. I like the preset templates for create quick promotional videos and the built-in transitions and overlays are very useful.

What do you dislike?

The way in which files and projects are stored and accessed can be a bit confusing.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take some time to create a few test videos and you will see how easy it is to use the software. As you become more comfortable you can incorporate more of the advanced features such as chromakey.

iMovie allows me to create video sequences for both promotional and on stage use. It is easy to use which means that I am more likely to incorporate video projection into performances than before.

Author, Music Theory Staff Paper™
Higher Education

"Simple solution for my YouTube channel "

What do you like best?

The ease of use, ability to drag and drop clips, the ability to upload directly to YouTube.

What do you dislike?

I wish there were more options for text. Sometimes scrolling through doesn't have the finesse I would like.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Have plenty of space on your computer.

For my use, iMovie has been a lifesaver. I own Final Cut Pro, but I was so overwhelmed with learning how to use it that I just decided that iMovie would suit my needs. And it does. You can make professional-looking videos. There are tons of features and I've only watched a handful of tutorials.

Youth Pastor

"Basic but Solid"

What do you like best?

Every tool here is basic but intuitive and easy to use. There may not be a ton of in depth tools but there is enough detail to get the job done.

What do you dislike?

The color correcting tools work, but I can never get it just right. Also I have a hard time getting the cropping tool to be the same through multiple shots.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would like to see easier collaboration between garage band and imovie.

This tool let's me reach people who are not going to attend my events.

Marketing Director
Construction

"Novice Video Production"

What do you like best?

This software is perfect for an extremely fast project, like a social media post or photo montage. There are some great features for beginners who are trying to get into video production. The drag and drop option makes it easy to add media to your project.

What do you dislike?

I have been editing video for more than a decade, so this software is not for me. I have used it when I am in a bind, but would not turn to it for a serious project. It is extremely limited. It is difficult to manipulate media, add unique graphics, movement, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would not recommend this product for professional use.

I do not use this to solve issues in my career.

Youth/Worship Pastor
Design

"iMovie has more features than people realize!"

What do you like best?

This video editor is EASY to use! it is seriously one of the highest quality, yet simple to use products out there. Has enough features to let you do some real work, yet also is easy enough that your grandma can put a slideshow together of her trip to Branson!

What do you dislike?

I wish it had just a few more features! It would be nice for it to integrate some color correction, pic on pic, and a little more freedom to adjust clips and transitions.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is not going to be the best movie software you have ever had, but it will help you get the job done fast and easy and allow you to serve the customers you have!

This has helped us create videos for many of our events in a short time, and even on the fly as we use it on an Ipad or phone!

Outreach Coordinator
Higher Education

"An indispensable tool for the trade"

What do you like best?

The range of functionality, relative ease of use compared to over movie making software, and the quality transitions and effects make this inexpensive software extremely valuable for the small business owner. The videos I create come out looking like Hollywood films, which is attractive to my customers and audience on social media.

What do you dislike?

There is some limited advanced functionality that could be changed. Some functions are counter-intuitive at times, and more effects packages could be made available to the average user that is advancing to an expert user.

Creating professional products is easy with iMovie, and my business thrives on high quality audio visual material. The product provides a platform with which I am able to expose my audience to my own music, the work I do visually, and to talk with my audience on a personal level.

"I love iMovie! I use it all the time!"

What do you like best?

iMovie is perfect for me. I have a Mac and started using iMovie for editing my videos for YouTube. I'm just beginning, so I wasn't looking to buy a professional video editing software. I love that iMovie gives you everything you need to edit the video, add or remove or edit audio, and create a professional looking video without the cost!

What do you dislike?

I really haven't found anything I don't like about iMovie. I think it's a really great system to start learning how to edit videos. I've been able to do everything I could think of with iMovie.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Honestly, you're going to learn so much using iMovie if you're not a professional video editor. It gives you everything you need to get what you want done, plus some. I highly recommend starting with iMovie and then branching out once you feel more than comfortable and are wanting more. I've been using iMovie for over a year, and still find that it meets my needs.

My business is all online, and I'm building a YouTube channel. iMovie is allowing me to save money to use in other ways to build my business. It's also allowing me to work on my creativity and advance my skills in media and graphic design/editing.

Business Owner
Cosmetics

"Perfect for business"

What do you like best?

I like that I can make a more engaging video of my content to share instead of just photos

What do you dislike?

I would like more theme choices especially some geared toward business and advertising. Most on there now are more family oriented. It would be great for apple to add a business side to the options

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Perfect for making a family or business marketing video. It’s short and sweet and to the point you can add any photos you like and change the captions and story line to your liking to meet your business and advertising needs

Marketing. People are more engaged with video

"iMovie-a Great Teaching Tool"

What do you like best?

iMovie is a great tool for showcasing the basics of movie editing in software. The layout of the software makes it easy to walk students through in introducing them to how to make a video (particularly a music video in my case). Students love being able to go through and edit clips and add special effects and wording.

What do you dislike?

As much as I love the software, I dislike the fact that it frequently crashing in the middle of my using it. Often, it will freeze when I am in the middle of a project which makes it rather difficult to complete the projects myself and students are working on. In addition, I find it difficult to operate the various clips that I am trying to compile together and do not enjoy the layout of that particular function in the software.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

iMovie is a great tool for editing software for personal and business use and it is most definitely a great tool for beginners, as it was specifically designed with amateurs in mind. You must have an Apple Product to use this software, and I suggest using it with a higher grade Mac in order to get the most out of the experience.

Apple designed iMovie to be a software that amateurs can use. Because of this, the software is extremely easy to use, especially for students/beginners. It is easy to explain to my new users and easier when users have previously experienced the software.

"iMovie helps me show the beauty of community"

What do you like best?

iMovie is easy to use and can be used for a myriad of projects including video advertisements, slideshows, and commercials. I love the simplicity of exporting video to different formats and that you can publish straight from the application.

What do you dislike?

The limited number of templates and pre-sets for making videos that are provided. I want something that is easy to use and helps me save time with lots of options. I also would like more modern effects, not the same fade in and fade out as all of the other video editors.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take a look at some tutorials online and dive in. Have a Graphic Designer or someone with graphics experience set up “slides” or animation for your videos to make them shine. This is a great program for beginners who have time to dive in and play around with the tools and features to see what works best.

Creating eye-catching videos with iMovie helps draw visitors to social media and websites. People on social media love watching videos and having this tool to create high-quality video helps our business get attention.

Social Media Specialist