Gusto Payroll Reviews & Product Details

Gusto Payroll Overview

What is Gusto Payroll?

Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.

Gusto Payroll Details

Payroll, benefits, and HR made refreshingly easy.

Gusto is the best payroll for small businesses.
- We automatically calculate, pay, and file your federal, state and local payroll taxes, as well as W-2s, 1099s, and new hire forms.
- 85% of surveyed customers say Gusto is easier to use than their previous payroll provider.
- 3 out of 4 surveyed customers say Gusto makes compliance easier.
- 77% of surveyed customers say that Gusto takes tedious tasks off their plates.

Benefits, onboarding, PTO, compliance and more—built for the way you work.
- You can manage your payroll, benefits, 401(k), workers’ comp, and HR all in one place – and keep them all in sync.
- New employees self-onboard entirely online, reducing errors and paperwork.
- Customers rave about Gusto’s friendly, expert customer support.

We are PCMag Editors’ Choice and their Top-rated Online Payroll of 2020.

Gusto
2011
San Francisco, CA
@GustoHQ
1,429 employees on LinkedIn®

Gusto Payroll Videos

Gusto Payroll Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Gusto Payroll community
Have you used Gusto Payroll before?

Gusto Payroll Reviews

Showing 5 Gusto Payroll reviews
Ratings (1)
Already have Gusto Payroll?
AC
What do you like best?

The ease of use is beneficial and I like the interface. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Customer service is via online chat only, as they make it nearly impossible to actually talk with someone. It also takes 30 minutes or more to be connected to a chat representative. I needed help correcting benefits withholding amounts that were out of whack, and the representative that I chatted with said it would be three weeks before they could address the issue. Any application that deals with money and employee's money should have robust customer service that can address issues quickly, not three weeks later. To date, I still do not have my payroll issue resolved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Beware of the very mediocre customer service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Payroll Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Andrea Garcia-Vargas of Gusto Payroll

Hi there — we're sorry to hear you've had this experience. Can you confirm the email tied to your Gusto account so our team can help resolve this issue?

We also wanted to make sure you were aware that via the Help tab in your Gusto account, you can also schedule phone callbacks with our customer support team, or email us directly. Please let us know if you cannot see these options.

CEO
What do you like best?

The overall product is very easy to use and they're constantly adding new sub-products - healthcare reimbursement, 401k, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The customer service is terrible - it often takes weeks or even months to get something resolved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Gusto to manage our payroll and benefits. This all works well, except for in cases when there are issues/questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AI
What do you like best?

I like that Gusto is very simple to setup and makes payroll less scary. At first I felt very confident that payroll was being handled correctly. It handles the tax filings automatically, which has been amazing. I also like that it provides a mechanism to pay contractors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

When it was just my business partner and I using Gusto for payroll worked very well. As we started hiring employees that is when Gusto started to show problems. One pay cycle our employees were paid 3 days late, despite receiving an email a week earlier that they would be paid on time. You had one job Gusto!

It was difficult to get in touch with support about this issue. When we finally did get in touch we were told that we had exceeded our credit limit, which caused the payroll to be delayed. This was surprising to us because we did not know that there was a credit limit or that we had exceeded it. Support did confirm that we should have received an email notification about reaching the limit, but did not. Instead we just got an email as usual that said "Your employees will get paid on time, and you won't have to do a thing!" Unfortunately the only help Gusto could provide was to raise the credit limit for the next pay cycle, pending manager approval. The person we talked to was very careful about their wording that our employees were not paid late and the payroll system was operating as normal. I cannot see how holding everyone's money for an extra 3 days without prior notice is expected behavior.

Paying contractors is a very slow process (7 days+).

Some time ago Gusto sent us a notification that they were now offering benefits like insurance. We happened to be in the market at the time for health insurance. When we started the process we could only click a button to be notified when benefits were offered. I don't know if they ever started selling benefits but we went elsewhere for that piece. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If your payroll is simple then it will work well. If your payroll gets too complicated then I would look elsewhere. I would also advise deploying Gusto to check that the credit limit covers your payroll. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Gusto manages our payroll. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

Payroll service only is fine. What Gusto is trying to do with other services is good, but they don't execute it well. Now Gusto has expanded its service offerings even though they struggle with the current services. I recommend staying away from Gusto's non-payroll services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Benefits service is terrible, and customer service is often bad - slow and uninformed. Gusto made errors during the company on-boarding process and has been terrible during the 2017 insurance renewal period. They were tardy sending renewal recommendations, did not provided options from multiple insurance companies as requested (sent only recs from our current insurer), and provided only one week to review and analyze those recommendations. Gusto seemed overwhelmed and unprepared for the renewal period. Emails went unanswered and the "Benefits Advisor" was "unavailable" to schedule a telephone conference to discuss renewal prior to the Gusto-imposed renewal deadline. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Paid Time Off process though Gusto is efficient and eliminated the need for us to use spreadsheets to track hours earned, used and balances. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Kira Klaas of Gusto Payroll

Hi there,

Thanks for taking a moment to leave feedback! I'm sorry for any frustration you may have experienced with us and our Benefits team. We take customer support very seriously, and I want to make sure that we've done absolutely everything we can to resolve this for you and to improve for the future. If you don't mind, please DM us or send an email to support@gusto.com referencing this review and I'll make sure that we assist in any way possible.

Kira

Owner
Leisure, Travel & Tourism
What do you like best?

User friendly design, concepts, integrations Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Poor UI/UX execution, integration with deputy stopped working and support could not be reached and did not call me back in a timely manner. Suddenly deputy stopped showing up on their page of "integrations."

The main problem here is that they break things that worked perfectly fine before. Like the Deputy integration. I don't do payroll for several months out of the year so I was surprised to find when I started running it again, that deputy wouldn't export timesheets to Zen/Gusto.

Then, there are the little quirks that will waste massive amounts of your time and drive you crazy. Like when I setup certain employees originally I was able to add a "paycheck tips" field to each one. Then they made it so that you could not leave the field zero, it had to be greater than zero, which is a completely stupid requirement, but in any case, for one of my employees I made it $0.01 and then when I ran the payroll I would change it to the right amount. However, the previously setup employees did not require that. Then, now, I'm trying to add a new employee, and I am forced to do this stupid $0.01 trick and I can't edit the amount when I run payroll. I'm supposed to have FIXED paycheck tips every single time??? This is just idiotic. There is a very clear pattern of poor testing of feature additions/changes. For a payroll system software that doesn't really ned to be improved constantly it is aggravating that they keep tweaking things for no reason.

Now, I'm trying to find reports to see my tax forms and I can't find them because they've changed all the wording of things to make them sound cool or "user-friendly" or whatever they're thinking. So I click "stay compliant" which is where you can find filed forms and I don't see any state tax documents. I go to the "tax payments" box which is hidden in a very strange way at the bottom of a page unrelated to a menu at all, and I see that tax payments have been made to the state, but I can't see how they calculated them or exactly what form was filed.

If you want to waste a lot of time and pay more than a lot of other payroll vendors then go with Gusto. They are trying to be Zenefits and screwing up their core business in the process. Zenefits now has a free payroll option so conveniently it's the end of the year and I think it's time to get rid of Gusto. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Gusto is good for companies where everyone is salaried and there are little to no changes to payroll from one period to the next as they have features that allow you to run payroll without having to think about it too much. For now, I'm going to try something else because their support hasn't been very good, and the very strange changes they have made have broken things that previously worked just fine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

integrated with Deputy, employee self-onboarding feature was nice, easy to run payrolls, auto-syncs with Xero Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Antonio Gonzalez of Gusto Payroll

Hi, Kelvin. This is Tony on the content team at Gusto. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had. Our customer experience is something we're extremely proud of, so if your interaction wasn’t completely awesome, it's unacceptable. You can email me your contact info at tony@gusto.com and I'll do whatever I can to make things right.