Gusto Payroll Reviews & Product Details

CA
What do you like best?

The Cost

Ease of use

Accounting integrations Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No physical check delivery, only direct deposit is offered Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Full-Service payroll solution Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Gusto Payroll Overview

What is Gusto Payroll?

Gusto is a modern, online people platform that helps small businesses take care of their teams. On top of full-service payroll, Gusto offers health insurance, 401(k)s, expert HR, and team management tools. Today, Gusto offices in Denver, San Francisco, and New York serve more than 100,000 businesses nationwide.

Gusto Payroll Details

Payroll, benefits, and HR made refreshingly easy.

Gusto is the best payroll for small businesses.
- We automatically calculate, pay, and file your federal, state and local payroll taxes, as well as W-2s, 1099s, and new hire forms.
- 85% of surveyed customers say Gusto is easier to use than their previous payroll provider.
- 3 out of 4 surveyed customers say Gusto makes compliance easier.
- 77% of surveyed customers say that Gusto takes tedious tasks off their plates.

Benefits, onboarding, PTO, compliance and more—built for the way you work.
- You can manage your payroll, benefits, 401(k), workers’ comp, and HR all in one place – and keep them all in sync.
- New employees self-onboard entirely online, reducing errors and paperwork.
- Customers rave about Gusto’s friendly, expert customer support.

We are PCMag Editors’ Choice and their Top-rated Online Payroll of 2020.

Gusto
2011
San Francisco, CA
@GustoHQ
1,429 employees on LinkedIn®

Gusto Payroll Videos

Gusto Payroll Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Gusto Payroll community
Have you used Gusto Payroll before?

Gusto Payroll Reviews

Showing 420 Gusto Payroll reviews
Already have Gusto Payroll?
Founder & Chief Strategy Officer
What do you like best?

Helps you stay compliant in a complicated world. Although to be honest, most of their value is in the content they produce - im not sure why I need a saas subscription for what really should just be an HR content website. I think its a useful tool - but I dont think its the godsend it once was.

I still need to pay my accountant and bookkeeper - so in many ways its also redundant.

All in all, it can save you from lots of headaches and probably has many useful features and reports I havent even used yet. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

dishonest claims about "best in class" support on all plans. Their dedicated support on the highest priced plan probably got that compliment and they lie and claim you get best in class support on other plans.

You don't get any support. Just an answering service that calls you back and can't even access your account to help you.

I also wish they recognized that by being an HR and Team management tool, they need features to support full teams, including international contractors, and payroll paid outside their platform to US 1099s. They are building features for Canada now...but they definitely dont make it easy.

In other words - If I am handling some team management and HR in this tool - I really need basic features for the rest of the people management part of the business - not just the people I pay through their service.

(i.e. why cant I run international payroll through transferwise or another tool and import that data easily. If I want to use time tracking, or team directories, or employee and contractor onboarding - I really need tools that let me now NEED another tool for those same features just because those other contractors are not requiring any legal filings.) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Managing hiring and compliance complexit for out of state employees Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Gusto is easy to set up and use for payroll. Navigation is friendly. Much work has been done to round out the feature set over this past year. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Customer support is ATROCIOUS. I have been with them for over two years and have two businesses. I cannot remember a customer service call that took less than 30 minutes to get someone on the phone. Email responses often take days. And if you have a tax issue, you'll be told the tax team is backed up and to expect THIRTY days until you hear from someone. That has happened repeatedly. Execs at this company are well aware of this level of service. You'll never get a response from their CEO. I did manage to make another senior exec aware a year ago and while he apologized, nothing has changed from a turnaround standpoint--except you can now pay for the top tier service and get priority service. For the support alone--I would stay away and am in fact now moving away.

Some of the changes they've made in the hiring module now make it more cumbersome to hire someone--not sure what the point there was. And the benefits support only works if you have certain plans AND are willing to let them be your broker, which is a sweet deal for them but may put you in a spot with your broker. The rates they offered us were not even close to competitive. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Basic payroll is easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Andrea Garcia-Vargas of Gusto Payroll

Hi Scott, we're truly sorry to hear about your experience with customer support. We'd like to make things right by you — could you please provide the email tied to your Gusto account? We'd like to look into how we dealt with your support issues and what we can do better.

Open Discussions in Gusto Payroll
AF
What do you like best?

Usability - it is extremely user friendly for employees Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Worst Customer Service Team in Tech - nobody is informed

Their benefits section is a complete disaster. It took me 6 months to integrate health insurance and had to work with 15 different people to get it done. Every single person said they would "Call me back" or "reach out to me immediately when they hung up" that never happened. We inquired twice about an HSA 2 months later still haven't heard anything.

There were multiple errors when it came to processing payroll on Gustos's end including paying out PTO when dismissing employees. They got rid of their phone line so any urgent issues we had had to go through their support email which took 2 weeks to a month to answer.

Horrible experience for our team. I would not recommend Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

payroll and benefits in one solution Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Andrea Garcia-Vargas of Gusto Payroll

Hi there — we're so sorry to hear about your experience with customer support, and we'd like to understand more about your issue so we can follow up on the HSA and PTO issues you've been having. Can you please provide the email tied to your Gusto account and the name of your company?

Rest assured we still continue to provide phone support as well as chat and email support. If you provide us with your information, we can make sure to follow up there and help you resolve the issues.

Swooper
What do you like best?

The best thing about gusto is that it's easy to use and makes a lot of the difficult work of running payroll seamless (e.g. taxes, adding perks etc.). And Gusto is the only tool where I would say say that the customer service makes a difference to the experience because it's so unbelievably good. The great thing is that they are also trained on payroll and HR related topics, not just the software itself. So they've helped me with tax laws, and benefit selection in the past which is far beyond what i would have expected. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only thing that would be nice is if they had more transparency in their selection of health benefits and easier reimbursement options for non-pro users. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The main problem we are solving is payroll and all benefits for employees, think of health insurance and other payroll requried documentation. The team loves it because it's easy to use for them as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Price and I got an Amazon bonus for signing up. That's it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I switched to Gusto, as their pricing was far less than what I had been paying with a competitor. However, since the switch, I have had nothing but issues. My taxes are a mess. They did not file my state taxes correctly and resulted in a tax penalty for me. Their customer service is non-existent. I have been attempting to fix issues since October with absolutely no response from them. I have tried contacting within their system, email and calling them. I once got to speak with someone and they said they could not help so they scheduled a call for me the next day. No one from Gusto ever responded. I am still sitting with my issues not resolved. When this year ends, I am leaving. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Andrea Garcia-Vargas of Gusto Payroll

Hi Arielle—we're sorry to hear you haven't received a response yet from our team. We hear you, and we'd like to help. Could you please provide us the email tied to your Gusto account as well as the case support numbers so we can escalate this to our team and get you the support you need?

CMO Chair
What do you like best?

We implemented Gusto earlier this year and the process was really straightforward. We were able to get everything set up with a minimal learning curve, which makes it really easy for a busy small business owner. They provide all the tools and notification we need to stay on top of everything efficiently and easily. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While I don't really care that they don't have an app, it would be nice to have something besides a browser window for on-the-go tasks like approving PTO requests. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are considering a payroll solution, I highly recommend Gusto. When we were comparing them against similar competitors, they were the most straightforward in pricing, features, etc. There were no hidden fees or surprises, which we uncovered with one of their major competitors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Aside from just the payroll portion, we also used Gusto for benefits management, which made offering benefits to our team extremely easy. Prior to using it, we were talking with multiple brokers and the process was very convoluted. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Andrea Garcia-Vargas of Gusto Payroll

Hi Stephen — glad to hear you're happy with Gusto! We'd be happy to pass along your feedback about the on-the-go tasks to our team.

We also wanted to make sure you're aware that we recently released an app on iOS called Gusto Wallet. Let us know what you think!

See how Gusto Payroll improved
Executive Director
What do you like best?

This payroll service is so easy to you. They do everything! I could not ask for a better service. There is also a site for employees where they can log in and change banks, add banks and choose how they want their paycheck distributed. Additionally, the price point for this service cannot be beat. I have a small budget and this fits in perfectly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is not anything that I dislike about this service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I needed a payroll service to pay my one employee. Gusto Payroll not only does that but it also takes care of all the tax reporting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Head of Growth
Publishing
What do you like best?

They takes care of payroll and employee compensation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

They have poor customer service and kept saying 'for security reasons' we can't give you the files you request, even though they are our files. And then they recommended I hire a CPA to repeat a job that should have been done by them. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Don't plan on good customer support. They handle your documents but don't' ensure they get filed properly making it expensive and time consuming to figure out and fix on your own. Maybe they've fixed this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Payroll, employee compensation Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Gusto makes everything incredibly simple for us running payroll. They take care of all of the taxes and paperwork that would take me hours each month. Paying for gusto is one of the best decisions I have made in running my company. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Honestly nothing... very simple to use for both me and my employees. We’ve never had a single issue or complaint. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

With gusto we have added benefits such as matched 401ks which is a big plus. It also makes new employee on boarding a snap. This year during Covid it was also helpful to have tools available in Gusto for applying for our PPP loan. Now they added tools to help us with reporting. They are always thinking of new ways to be helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AT
What do you like best?

I appreciate how easy it is to complete payroll for even a non-accountant. It is truly the best system for start-up companies. They have the best price point and have all the bells and whistles that a small company needs to process payroll. They also have a great knowledge base for filing for payroll taxes when you are a new company or if you go into different states Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The Hiring process is still needing some work. I like that you can send out contracts through GUSTO but it's not the easiest process. The on-boarding flow has changed also and it's not as friendly as it used to be. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are a start-up, this is the best option for payroll administration. You can follow each step to set up payroll taxes in each state and you can even pay your contractors through this system. They will process the W2s AND the 1099s at no additional charge. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

GUSTO is the easiest payroll processing system I have ever used. From setting up payroll taxes to running the payroll, you just have to follow the steps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AM
What do you like best?

-Concierge service is phenomenal. Always polite, their reps are knowledgeable, they really understand the perspective of an HR professional working to help an employee.

-Intuitive platform, super user-friendly interface, the tips and tricks dial-ins around specific topics are really helpful

-Cutsie pig when you're logging in, I look forward to seeing it everyday almost as much as I look forward to talking to the customer service reps! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

-Problematic that you can't change an employee's pay rate mid pay cycle or pay them a certain amount for a singular day (becomes an issue for folks out on disability or jury duty, etc).

-Integration with state registration tax partner isn't on par with the ease and service Gusto provides

-The org chart functionality and lay out isn't ideal on occasion Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

-Central HRIS for HR staff and employees to run payroll with ease

-Tracking onboarding documentation made easy Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Talent Acquisition Consultant
What do you like best?

I think Gusto is a pretty robust service especially for a payroll provider. I like that instructions make it super easy to onboard and do payroll. In a lot of other software orgs, I've had trouble with onboarding or emails reaching folks. I like the offer letter aspect as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Instructions could be more descriptive. Could be a little more in tune with orgs, creating an org chart or something similar to that. Some form letters could be better Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Look at what your org needs. Larger orgs may not need Gusto and could use something Like ADP or something larger Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I'm solving payroll, attendance management, and overall organization data management. It's really simple to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

COO
What do you like best?

Easy to use platform for payroll, contracts, accounting, employee updates, and more! Makes manage pay and documents very seamless which is crucuial for remote businesses. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

At the moment, there's nothing that I dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely worth considering the platform for easy payroll/HR management. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Easy payroll process, employee alerts and communication, contract management, paystub management, employee updates. Great for a small company who does not have an HR/accounting team. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UF
What do you like best?

I love using Gusto because it is very easy to use. The layout of the site makes it easy to quickly view paystubs and benefits. I also like how I get an email every two weeks saying it's payday. It lifts my spirits in the morning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

One thing I dislike is that Gusto doesn't have an app which would make it even easier to view payroll information from a mobile device on the go. That is the only thing I dislike about Gusto. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When considering which payroll product to use, I would suggest Gusto Payroll because of its ease of use and the support team is super helpful. My experience of payroll and benefits at other companies I've worked at that didn't use Gusto was terrible. Other systems were not user friendly at all and it was always hard to even view my paystub. With Gusto, that has totally changed. I love how it's so easy to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Using Gusto has tremendously solved issues that I have had in the past. When I worked at other companies that didn't use Gusto, I always found it very hard to see a detailed description of my benefits and to see an electronic paystub that breaks down where your paycheck is going. Gusto makes it so much simpler. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Andrea Garcia-Vargas of Gusto Payroll

Hi there — glad to hear you're enjoying Gusto so far! Good news for you, we recently released our Gusto Wallet app in iOS, which helps you view and manage your paychecks, as well as build savings goals.

See how Gusto Payroll improved
Executive Director
Director of Development & Operations
What do you like best?

Gusto is now all-in-one solution for HR. You can handle everything from onboarding (which is now amazing with automatic requisitioning accounts like Google and Zoom), benefits, payroll, and time tracking. I especially love the service. The folks at Gusto have been nothing but kind, quick, and responsive to feedback. I've even been lucky enough to provide input that's been heard and acted on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are a few tiny quirks with the UI and the payroll workflow with time off deductions can be a little confusing at first. Mostly nit-picky things. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're a nonprofit or small business, Gusto is a no-brainer. For the cost, you get everything you need. Even if you have a ton of contractors, Gusto is the way to go. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We're a small-ish nonprofit and can't afford full-time HR. Gusto makes all of it easy and, with the concierge level, we have access to HR pros in case we have compliance questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co Director/President, Executive Board
What do you like best?

I like that the interface is simple and has all the information I need. On the employee side, I like that I don't have to look at all the information that isn't important to me immediately and highlights information such as upcoming payday. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It would be great to have an option to show my schedule here too, so everything could be displayed all at once. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows me to upload information, get pay update, and learn more about my pay and hours together. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

The ease of use is beneficial and I like the interface. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Customer service is via online chat only, as they make it nearly impossible to actually talk with someone. It also takes 30 minutes or more to be connected to a chat representative. I needed help correcting benefits withholding amounts that were out of whack, and the representative that I chatted with said it would be three weeks before they could address the issue. Any application that deals with money and employee's money should have robust customer service that can address issues quickly, not three weeks later. To date, I still do not have my payroll issue resolved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Beware of the very mediocre customer service. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Payroll Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Andrea Garcia-Vargas of Gusto Payroll

Hi there — we're sorry to hear you've had this experience. Can you confirm the email tied to your Gusto account so our team can help resolve this issue?

We also wanted to make sure you were aware that via the Help tab in your Gusto account, you can also schedule phone callbacks with our customer support team, or email us directly. Please let us know if you cannot see these options.

What do you like best?

It used to be a good service with good customer support Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Gusto filed 3 quarterly state payroll filings with completely wrong numbers this year and now we cannot get anyone to help is resolve the issue. Absolutely zero customer support. Awful. We are switching providers asap Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Gusto filed incorrect state reporting documents on our behalf and now they will not respond to any of our inquiries at all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Response from Andrea Garcia-Vargas of Gusto Payroll

Hi there — we're sorry to hear you were having these issues with the tax reporting. We see that our team has been in touch with you over the last 2 weeks and that they are getting the filings fixed, as well as making sure Gusto handles P&I. We hope this helps — please let our team know if you have any further concerns or feedback.

CEO
What do you like best?

The overall product is very easy to use and they're constantly adding new sub-products - healthcare reimbursement, 401k, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The customer service is terrible - it often takes weeks or even months to get something resolved. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Gusto to manage our payroll and benefits. This all works well, except for in cases when there are issues/questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UP
What do you like best?

Gusto is so simple to use. The dashboard clearly lays out where everything is located and it's extremely easy to locate paystubs and request time off. While my current company only uses the platform for payroll and requesting time off, you can also use it to manage benefits and other HR tasks. I also love how each week they give you a fun fact based on your total amount of accrued hours. It makes an otherwise boring email more personalize. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to complain about for Gusto. I haven't had any issues thus far and I've used it at two different jobs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The benefits are that it clearly shows me how my paystubs are laid out each pay period so that I'm able to see if there's any mistakes or issues with the stub. It also shows how much time you accrue and how much time off you have in total so that you can see if it's time for a much needed vacation. In the past, I've also used Gusto for commuter benefits. It helped to have all the info in one system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.