Gun.io Reviews & Product Details

EC
What do you like best?

The engineers are independent thinkers who go above and beyond. In addition to their high level of skill at doing the task as described, I've repeatedly found Gun.io contractors willing and able to offer suggestions for changes/improvements/alternate methods of accomplishing the same goal that improve the overall project result. I've worked with multiple contractors over the past decade, including directly sourced and sourced from competing firms, and Gun.io has by far the highest success rate in identifying individuals who are great at their job and a great fit for our needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. And I know that's an annoying answer, but I have no complaints after multiple engagements. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Gun.io allows us to maintain a flexible and cost-effective technical infrastructure that can scale based on the needs of a given project. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Gun.io Overview

What is Gun.io?

World-class technical talent, on tap. Gun.io is the first software development platform that helps fast-growing companies build custom engineering teams. With the highest-quality network of independent developers in the world, Gun.io can tackle any software engagement — whether it requires a few hours of work from a senior engineer — or the combined year-long efforts of an entire engineering team. By streamlining the product development workflow with technology that includes reference checks on both sides, technical assessments for freelancers, and budgetary assessments for companies, companies can build their teams with confidence, and freelancers can work without fear of being stiffed on the bill.

Gun.io Details
Discussions
Gun.io Community

Gun.io is a freelance marketplace where employers can meet and hire mobile and web professionals to build quality products.

Gun.io
2013
Nashville, TN
@GUNdotIO

Gun.io Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Gun.io community
Have you used Gun.io before?

Gun.io Reviews

Showing 14 Gun.io reviews
Already have Gun.io?
What do you like best?

I really like the pre-vetted flexible service, the quality of all the candidates put forward have been very strong, and we have been very pleased with their work over the last year. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing to dislike so far, we have been able to overcome any challenges we have had. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have used Gun.io to help us rapidly scale our tech team as we are a fast growing scale up business. This has allowed us to rapidly source the quality people we needed, often for short duration tasks at short notice for a cost we are comfortable with and at a lower cost and faster rate than if were were to employ full time staff or source contractors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

Gun.io has access to high quality developers. That's what they promised and that is the only thing they delivered on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I have worked with other freelance developers in the past and I specifically went to Gun.io because this was a critically important project and I needed it done right. It was not a very complicated project, but I put a high value on having it done well, so I opted to get a higher quality developer to handle it.

Paying the extra overhead of the Gun.io team did nothing to keep improve the outcome of my project. The deliverable did not meet my specifications, it took much longer than originally quoted, and they totally blew through my budget.

The deliverable was completely useless. Not only was it useless, but it was so grossly overcomplicated that it took a lot of back and forth with the dev just to get his code to run on my machine. When we finally got it to run, it took me under an hour to recreate the output exactly with basic off the shelf software and no knowledge of any programming language.

There was no assistance from the Gun.io team. When the dev burned through the original budget, Gun.io never stepped in to help. They offered up more hours and sent another invoice. It was on completely on me to try to manage the developer. If that's the case, then why am I paying a premium to pay for the overhead of Gun.io? They found a highly qualified person on paper, but that is apparently where their job ends. There was no support to make sure that dev is careful with my investment, and no checks from the support team to make sure that dev is on track with my specs of budget.

When paying a hefty premium for a high end freelance service I expected more from the Gun.io team to make sure that I wasn't just throwing away my time, effort and money. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Do you have a particularly need for a certain type of developer? That's about the only reason I can see for choosing to work with Gun.io. They do have qualified developers, but they don't seem to offer them any coaching about how to work with clients, set expectations, manage priorities, or even respect budget. Be prepared to reign in the developer on your own. The Gun.io team never stepped in to help facilitate conversation or prioritization with my project.

And they certainly never bothered to see if we were going to stay within budget. The starter package they offered seemed reasonable in terms of hours and price for a high quality dev. Upfront, I was led to believe the initial hours would deliver my spec. When that didn't, Gun.io didn't bother to step in and help course correct. They were content to take another fee for more hours, which still didn't deliver on my expectations. I didn't get a real estimate from the developer or from Gun.io on what it would take in terms of time and money until I had well blown through my budget. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None. I had to redo my entire scope of work with a different freelance service. Thankfully it worked, and I only paid a fraction of what it cost at Gun.io. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CEO
What do you like best?

Gun makes the process of hiring a dependable, expert engineer incredibly easy. The communication through the entire process in amazing, and I was very satisfied with the end result. Will certainly be looking to use them again in the near future. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. The process was very transparent and seamless. The people are amazing! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're looking for reliable, expert engineers I would absolutely recommend going through Gun.io. Their team is excellent at managing the relationship, and the engineers are communicative and have the depth of knowledge to help find and implement an optimal solution Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I needed an AWS expert to listen to my project details and help architect a solution. I had a solution in mind, but he did a very good job helping me think through areas I might have missed and end up with a better product. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

When my team needed work for our appointment reminder product line, Jeff - our Gun.io engineer - jumped right to work. He not only completed the work ahead of schedule and under budget, Jeff tackled other priorities such as the mobile site and customer billing. Jeff also identified a number of other areas where we should consider investing resources. My team and I really appreciated Jeff going well above and beyond! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It's really difficult to find things that we disliked. We had a specific need and Gun.io overdelivered. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed to:

- clean-up the UI on our appointment reminder feature

- create the ability for doctors to white-label text messages

- streamline billing Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Owner
What do you like best?

Gun.io finds freelancers FAST, usually within a week, but what's striking about their resource pool is the talent and sophistication. I never have to worry if I'm going to gel with contractors they find for me, because professionalism, seriousness, and talent are always givens with the engineers and developers they find. Financially, being able to see my development budget maximized by the skill set I can call upon makes the investment in gun.io services well worth it. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Talent hired through gun.io isn't cheap, so I only wish I had more of a budget to rely on talent sourced through gun.io more heavily and often. But justifying an investment in quality is never a slam-dunk when it comes to technology resources for a non-technology company, but if you're doing your job right internally, it shouldn't be too hard either! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Gun.io has helped us implement everything highly customized pieces of middleware to consumer-facing web properties. We've been able to expand our ecommerce business by transitioning to the Magento platform from AbleCommerce, and improved our brand with a modern Wordpress architecture for web properties. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Co-founder & CTO
Human Resources
What do you like best?

With zero effort on our part, Gun.io took our requirements and created a pipeline of freelancers, interviewed them and sent us the top candidate. After a 30 minute tech screen, we were off and running - and we've learned a lot from the contractor. There's absolutely no way we would have found a contractor at the skill level we were looking for without spending many days of work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The price is high compared to hiring FT, but that's to be expected with freelance work. The quality has been worth it to justify the extra cost. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We're doing a large scale technical migration that involves most of the people on our full-time team as well as additional contractors. We've been able to break up the work and focus our work on the hardest problems with the migration, knowing that some of the more mundane work (but still important) is being tackled at a high quality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

As a new startup founder, finding reliable developers is quite a chore. After trying upwork and other freelancing platforms in an attempt to find someone reliable yet relatively cheap, I have realized one hard truth which is that you get what you pay for.

By working with Gun.io , my experience has been phenomenally better than with previous hires through other freelancing platforms. Yes, it is more expensive, but because of how intelligent, efficient, and reliable my developer is, he gets work a lot of work done in shorter time frames compared to past developers I've hired. So, while my developer may be twice as much per hour, he gets around 3 or maybe even 4 times the amount of work done compared to past hires of mine, ending up SAVING me a lot of money, time, hassle, and stress.

No doubt I will be retaining my developer from Gun.io for the entire duration of this project.

Secondly, having an overhead who manages the project (payments, hours, ensuring developer is getting work done on time, etc) also makes things a lot easier on myself, as it ensures work will get done on time, and ensures the developer will stay accountable for what I am getting billed for. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are times when developers can get overbooked with projects and things get slightly delayed, but I believe gun.io and the developers are open, honest, and do their best to make things right if and when this does happen. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Hiring, Development Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Founder
What do you like best?

The Gun team is smart, personable, hard working. And they deliver results. They work with us like no other dev team has before. We work collaboratively with them, and the end result is well designed, well built, and rock-solid. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish they were all based in the same location as us! Seriously, it's so much fun working with these folks, sometimes it doesn't feel like work. When you really like the people with whom you're working, the job is easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our platform helps manage an industry's education and professional development. We must be responsive to our end users, education staff, and regulators. Balancing these needs and building a meaningful experience and an efficient tool is complex at requires a lot of flexibility. We needed a development team that could be flexible, iterate with us, and bring in talent as needed to fill in the gaps. They have scaled with us and our project, bringing in product managers, designers and developers whenever we needed them. We now can develop and release features on a continuous basis, and our platform has become a frequently-cited example of success in our industry. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

They have been great partners to work with. Every time I mention a need for something new that has popped up, they have talent that is available to hop on our project within a few days. With their pricing it is also hassle free, which takes away the cognitive overhead of signing additional contracts. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I can't hire any of the gun.io folks that I work with. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would strongly recommend them. Their prices may be a bit higher than others, but the savings you get in return is well worth it. Knowing it's going to be right the first time is worth every penny. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Gun.io helps allow us to scale up/down eng resources quickly as our needs come. We have used gun.io to help re-design our marketing pages, and help visually represent how our product works. It has been great being able to get some top talent onto the team within a few days, to help get us get our product fast! Having experts on call has been a tremendous help to us as we aren't stuck interviewing and waiting for talent, we can get the right people in no time at all. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Everything—the Gun team and the developers are fast, communicative, and _so_ easy to work with! We've never developed and shipped our product as fast as we are now. I've loved working closely with the enormously talented developers and am constantly impressed by their technical prowess. Working with Gun.io has been one of the best decisions our company has made. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wish the developers were full time with our company; I'd hire them in a heartbeat. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use them now—you won't regret it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

As a fast-growing company, we're constantly iterating on our product and developing new features and workflows. Working with the developers has enabled me to focus on the business decisions without getting too in-the-weeds with the details of the programming. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Cheif Executive Officer
Internet
What do you like best?

the ease of use. the talent pool, and I appreciate the value Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I wouldn't say that there's anything that I dislike. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

They are helping us to address development needs we have. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AT
What do you like best?

I really like both the talent and honesty Gun.io provides. Gun.io is smart in tech and business and knows that their success will come from helping their clients succeed. I really feel like we found a true partner in Gun.io and the people they have engaged. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The only drawback is that I cannot hire team of freelancers outside of contract with Gun.io. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Hire them - You won't be disappointed! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We are at the beginning of our product development phase and we were tempted to throw more people at the problem with the hopes of solving it faster. Gun.io advised us against this approach. They helped us to answer the tough business questions and focus on laying a solid foundation so that we can accelerate once the core building blocks are in place. They vetted and staffed our project with the A-team so that we can be successful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AC
What do you like best?

Getting set up was easy and their follow up on all our requirements were met to our liking. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There was nothing we disliked about our experience. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Creating a pick list that would be scalable and worked with our existing inventory and accounting programs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I've tried getting developers both locally and via other online freelancing platforms, and it's always been a big pain finding people who are up to scratch, especially for stuff that is a bit open ended and doesn't have a six figure budget. gun.io have lined up some fantastic developers who are effective and communicate well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Infrastructure setup on AWS, building/expanding web apps. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.