Google BigQuery

Analyze Big Data in the cloud with BigQuery. Run fast, SQL-like queries against multi-terabyte datasets in seconds. Scalable and easy to use, BigQuery gives you real-time insights about your data.

Work for Google BigQuery?

Learning about BigQuery?

Google BigQuery Reviews

Ask BigQuery a Question
Showing 246 BigQuery reviews
Jeffrey P.
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Google BigQuery
Joel M.

"Powerful tool with a easy to use interface"

What do you like best?

I've been using BigQuery for reporting in areas that required I deployed into BigQuery with a limited pre-existing understanding of BigQuery. I found it easy to use, intuitive, and everything just worked. It also has tremendous potential for large data sets of the kind my company processes. I look forward to working with my companies dev team to push the boundaries of BigQuery

What do you dislike?

I've not run across too many issues. As this is Cloud based, moving large data sets from/to our internal servers can be somewhat sluggish, but this is not an issue that can be attributed to any issue with BigQuery. As a relatively new user, I have been quite happy with it thus far.

We do a tremendous amount of data processing on large data sets from a variety of customers. Our tools are cloud and application agnostic. BigQuery is allowing us to efficiently handle these data sets within GCP

What Data Warehouse solution do you use?

Ana Q.

"One more way to get scalable results."

What do you like best?

Its data processing, large scalable queries are real-time, efficient with an incredible speed due to its integration within the google platform, without any doubt I can reaffirm that the discoveries and integration of this platform accelerates the process of diagnosis in the Search and easily attack the problem.

What do you dislike?

Although the data collection of the platform is incredible and efficient many times it does not record the modeling of large data, it will analyze them one by one and take a result of that.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a simple integration and the cost is almost not noticed, it is literally free, it provides you with communication and immediate results.

Do not hesitate to adopt this incredible means of processing and consulting data due to its reliable security system and flexibility in the development of projects with searches and data analysis.

Tim R.

"(Relatively) easy to use, inexpensive database."

What do you like best?

It is easy to get started on it. It is very low cost. The query language is robust enough for my purposes.

What do you dislike?

It is not as easy to use as it could be and I hesitate to offer it to my colleagues who are not in IT. We have a lot of MS Access databases in our company that we are trying to get rid of. If we could improve the ability to map a Sheet into a table, that would take things quite a bit further. A query builder tool would be awesome also. I am okay handwriting my queries, joins, unions, etc., but I am not sure about my business partners.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There are many ways to use BigQuery. I personally tend to use it as an MS Access replacement and so my review is based on that usecase. Others use it for BigData / IoT initiatives and it is serving us well there. There are also many different ways to get data into BigQuery and you just have to experiment with them to find out which ways work best for you. For my use case, I like mapping a Google Sheet into a BigQuery table.

Quick analysis using large datasets.

Lorenzo R.

"A great tool for Data Analytics"

What do you like best?

The main plus of BigQuery is its managed and noOps nature. On one side, this allows us and our customers to handle spikes in computing or storage demands without reengineering anything; on the other side, this enables relevant savings with respect to a traditional "cluster-based" data warehousing solution.

Another interesting aspect is that BigQuery fits very well in different scenarios, ranging from small datasets (in the order of GBs) to enormous workloads handling TBs or PBs of data.

What do you dislike?

We still don't have much control over long-running jobs: it would be nice to have webhooks or Pub/Sub messages notifying the end of a process, in order to implement BigQuery within an automated solution.

BigQuery solves a range of problems, from classical DWH/BI solutions, speeding up - by orders of magnitude - the computation of insights from data, to advanced Data Science and ML tasks when used together with other tools like ML Engine, Datalab and Dataflow.

JC E.

"Creating analytics products with GCP/Bigquery"

What do you like best?

The completeness of vision of the GCP analytics stack and the integration with data sources is first class.

What do you dislike?

The BigQuery UI is great even for business users, but there is no way to grant bigqueryviewer role to a business user and hide all the unnecessary UI components from the GCP console.

Even if a user's role is just bigqueryviewer they will still see the hamburguer menu and will be able to click around. I understand that they will not be able to access anything else because they are just bigqueryviewers but still, they will click around just because the menus are there.

It would be ideal if we can have easier ways to share BigQuery URLs to users and hide all other controls/components from the GCP console.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Remove unnecessary clutter from the GCP console for users that only want to use bigquery. Make it easier for BigQuery admins to share and communicate BigQuery URLs

We are trying to reduce cycle time for analysis and reporting in my company. BigQuery is a pillar of our solution but we will also integrate with Dataflow, Datalab and DataStudio.

Rahul C.

"Enhanced Data Analysis with Big Query"

What do you like best?

Big Query is a product of Google which is mostly used for data analysis over big data using Queries. Big Query charges you as much as data you process so it's like pay as you go. If you have small large traffic on your website then you must be generating a huge data that can be analyzed in seconds with BQ. When you buy Google Analytics premium Big Query comes with that and you also have 500 credits that are enough for analysis and querying. It has simple UI which is easy to use and understand. If you know simple SQL then you would quickly understand the syntax and functions of Big Query. Google has provided very good and clean documentation for Big Query that can be used to build better Queries. Even you can use Big Query for predictive analysis and different kind of analysis. Moreover, you would easily find API of big query from which you can fetch data from a table as well insert data in a table. Not only Google Analytics data but you can also upload your CRM data and merge with another analytics data to analyze further. Big Query is cloud based so you need not worry about installing it on your premises.

What do you dislike?

Big Query is a very useful tool but not for everyone. You should go for Big Query when you have a huge data set to analyze for small analysis you could go or don't want to go is your decision. If you want to use Big Query API then you must be good with coding skills. Big Query is an append-only database that's the only thing which you would dislike but if you upload your own dataset you can fire update queries but it restrict with Google Analytics datasets.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a great tool and not that much expensive you can use this as your relational database to build better products.

Big Query in our company is used very efficiently to build different products or storing data for future analysis.

Krishna B.

"Big Query - Simplification and Everything You Need"

What do you like best?

Big Query helps reduce the bar for data analytics, ML and AI. BQ takes care of mundane tasks and streamlines for easy data processing, consumption. The most impressive thing is the ML and AI integration as SQL functions, so the need for moving data around is minimized. The visuals of ML models is very helpful to fine tune training, model building and prediction, etc.

What do you dislike?

The one knock on Big Query right now is cost management. It is difficult to control cost as engineers, analysts write bad queries. There are controls and a way to manage, it is not so clean and clear way to manage. Probably need a admin rules engine to stop/control bad queries.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Cost Management

Streamlining data, data processing, server-less analytics, low maintenance. We are putting data into hands of people who needs it much more effectively.

"Review"

What do you like best?

1.) Pay-per-use. Goes without saying the ability to use large amounts of resources for a query without paying for idle resources makes this product much better than Redshift. The ability to specify higher tiers for queries which need a lot of memory/compute relative to storage scanned is also great. (This should be exposed in the UI!).

2.) Sharding on Custom Field. Besides the obvious benefits of insert time sharding, the ability to shard and cluster on any field is incredibly powerful. This unlocks a new category of use cases for internal enterprise apps. Although those apps are usually primarily OLAP based, they also need to do the occasional low-latency KV lookup without forcing a full column/table scan. Custom sharding enables that.

What do you dislike?

1.) Lack of schema modifications for streaming inserts. Currently BQ can modify schema dynamically (append columns or relax columns) for load jobs only. It would be great if it could do this for streaming inserts as well. This would unlock an entirely new set of use cases. Many companies stream event data into systems like Elastic or MongoDB because those systems gracefully handle schema drift. Many of those use cases would LOVE to switch to BigQuery if it could support schema drift.

2.) Autoschema detection needs improvement:

a.) It fails if fields are missing in the first 100 docs. There could be a (paid) option to do a full pass of the data before starting ingest. 3rd party github projects have been started and numerous stackoverflow pages validate this is a common conern.

b.) Fields with illegal characters (':', '@') cause auto schema detection to fail. There should be an option to remap illegal characters.

3.) Custom sharding restricted to timestamp fields -- When I shard on a non-timestamp field, I create "fake timestamps" by hashing that field. This is awkward and may be a non-obvious workaround for people who want to do a lookup without triggering a full column scan.

4.) Lack of Scheduled Queries. Numerous stack overflow pages ask about materialized views / scheduled queries on BQ. Users can easily work around with an external cronjob, but this could be burdensome for a class of users and seems like low hanging fruit to add.

5.) Small mismatches between BQ schema and Avro schema.

a.) BigQuery Schema can be specified in a JSON format which is very close to but not exactly the Avro JSON schema format. Why not add an option to specify the schema as an Avro schema? This would make it easier to integrate BQ to applications by leveraging the ecosystem of Avro tooling (e.g. code generators, avro reader/writers).

b.) Avro exports do not have a standalone schema file. This would be easy to generate and attach to the export and would make it easier to load bigquery exports. (For example, the exports could be loaded into Spanner which require an Avro schema as a standalone file or could be read with Avro readers that require a schema at initialization time).

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you need to shard data on a user field, realize that you can hash it and put it in a timestamp to get around the restriction.

Evaluation for personal project. I'm a noogler, so I wanted to get up to speed on GCP.

Sayed Hassan N.

"A product with great potentials but yet with some flaws to be addressed"

What do you like best?

- Automatic data transfer service from other google products and ability to get data from other sources.

- A low cost SQL-based data warehouse

- It has a restful API

What do you dislike?

- Weak quality control and support on transfer service would be my biggest complain. For example, sometimes a job fails for several days and by the time the BQ team get back to you, your data is not available on source server anymore. In case of YouTube reporting data, the data gets deleted after a short period of time due to YouTube's compliance to GDPR.

- Standard libraries are not supported on Google Appengine Standard

- Querying views have the same cost of querying the tables which I believe they should use a lower cost scheme for querying views

- The ML services provides supports only for few basic modelling techniques

I am using BQ for reporting and Business Intelligence. It's a great SQL-based data warehousing product with easy setup and low running costs. Its REST-API is really helpful in designing various business solutions. Combined with Google Data Studio, it could provide Business/Marketing intelligence platform for your business. But you need to keep in mind that Data Studio does not have an API, so designing very customized solutions with it might possible at this point.

Raymond H.

"Excellent, affordable big data platform"

What do you like best?

The fact that I can store millions of records without it costing me a fortune. I like their web interface which allows me to look through my data and run queries on it from anywhere. I like that I can set everything up through the web interface.

It's also very easy to add more columns to data even after existing data is in place.

What do you dislike?

I'm not a big fan of Google Cloud Platform's support model. The cheapest option available is $150/month, which for a small business like ours almost doubles our monthly bill.

Other than that, I don't really have any complaints, but the only thing that comes to mind is that the client libraries are quite large.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

BigQuery is easy to use and can handle a large amount of data before it starts costing you anything. Because of this, it's easy to evaluate how well it works for your needs before having to start paying.

They also have several large data sets that can be played with to learn your way around and get started including all of the source code on GitHub.

We needed to store large amounts of data for analytics purposes and BigQuery has allowed us to do that easily and without adding a lot of cost.

We've been able to start storing all of this analytics data and once we have enough to be useful I don't expect us to have a difficult time using it.

Justin C.

"BigQuery is AMAZING"

What do you like best?

Low cost, low barrier to entry, and blazing fast. We're a relatively small company and BigQuery lets us handle 70+ TB of data with ease. It has been the catalyst of turning our company into a data driven one. It has integrations with all major data analysis tools. We couldn't imagine life without BigQuery.

What do you dislike?

Not with BigQuery stand alone, but it's integration with Data Studio sometimes is hard to debug when problems arise, and the errors it give can be unhelpful or cryptic.

Joining our company primary data with DFP and Google Analytics data. It allows us to do analysis across our entire company very quickly. We've gained insights into our business that were previously impossible. We can analyze consumer behaviors and quickly adapt our strategies. We replaced a failed 2 year hadoop cluster implementation with BigQuery and no additional engineering costs.

One example is we did an analysis of publish times for our articles, how they impacted not only traffic patterns, but how it impacted revenue. We were able to give our journalists dashboards that allowed them to learn what time of day was best to publish their article. This ultimately helped us improve revenue.

Yosuke I.

"It's NEXT default Database for any users who want to handle a large scale dataset!!"

What do you like best?

Automatic processing for large scale data. Ausome web interface. Diverse Connectivity to Most BI tools including Microsoft Power BI and Google Data Studio. Thank you very much for your services!

What do you dislike?

Google Big Query is not support for mutil-byte characters for column name (ex. Japanese character). It's is essential part of data analysis for domestic use case. So I would like to recomment modification for this point as soon as possible if you want to earn new users outside of English economy. Also I'd like to make sure it is no functionality to remove columns after creation. Not need to say again, it's difficult to rename a table or dataset after creation. My these feedback imply to Google Big Query, give some tips to be migrative from some other major database such as MySQL. We love Google Big Query. So I expecet and believe your brightful future!! If I have opportunity to feedback directly to Googlers who are related to Google BIg Query, our team prvide you a large list of our wish list to make Google Big Query to be "Next Generation Default Database For Big Data!!"

We inset over GB class Patent datasets, research grants, open public data and academic papers includng large text data for showng on BI tools. Great speed. No waiting for users!!

Adam T.

"Just beginning out journey with BigQuery"

What do you like best?

Fast execution time for extremely large datasets.

Cost effective - we only pay for storage and the execution time of our queries, allowing us to store large data sets in the cloud without needing to worry about excessive bills.

Serverless - we like the fact that we don't need resources to support our data platform, instead we can rely on Google Cloud

What do you dislike?

Interface is outdated (although I have see the new beta)

Visualising large data datas is not intuitive.

I would like an interface that allows non-SQL developers to create queries through some kind of visual interface - kind of like building a pivot table in Sheets/Excel, however supporting more of the complex features of SQL. Alternatively, provide a way to visualise common SQL queries so that non-developers can learn how to create common data queries.

I don't like that BigQuery is not tightly integrated into the Google Cloud Console like other tools.

It is common to have large datasets that you forget about. It would therefore be useful to support quickly see where your data sets are, how old they are, etc.

We are using Google Cloud as our online data warehouse to develop dashboards for our journalists and newsrooms to make data-driven decisions.

BigQuery is helping us to reduce costs in the production of content and generate more subscriptions.

Kanchana W.

"BigQuery is Super awesome"

What do you like best?

We have been using BigQuery for internal billing, customer billing, stackdriver log analytics and the ease of use and ability to automatically export is great for us. In addition to the above we have been using BigQuery for IoT data and analytics and its been a great tool for us.

What do you dislike?

At the moment we have not o found something we don't like on BQ.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are running a large scale data warehouse you should definitely give try on BQ.

Ability to predict our billing, provide better pricing and discounts to customers. Analyse application usage patterns.

Bruce S.

"Our customers love BigQuery"

What do you like best?

Easy and cheap to get started. Low barrier to entry, easy to grow with, great features, BigQuery team are great partners for us.

What do you dislike?

We have several customers that would like to use BigQuery for real time analytics, which is not a great use case for it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

BigQuery has a low barrier to entry. It is easy and inexpensive to get started with, but with the power to grow with your organization. It has an innovative and constantly evolving feature set, including advanced features like BQML for Machine Learning and SQL access to external data sources.

Our customers like that it is easy to use and easy to get started with. It has a very quickly growing user base among our customers.

Jagadish C.

"Biquery - cost-effective and Scalable"

What do you like best?

The ability to scale, load, and deliver amazing performance. Just by switching from other "unnamed" big data platform we were able to reduce cost by a factor of 6 by judiciously using BigQuery. And we reduce the loading time by a factor of 5. This is probably the greatest contribution by Google to computing more than Machine Learning or other technologies.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing much to dislike. The technology is probably irrelevant to smaller datasets.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I think I have written about my experience in detail. There is not much more to say.

We built an Entertainment database - users preference of movies/tv shows. The idea was to use this data to build an advertising model based on user preference. We also built an anonymized data export platform to export data based on location and thematic preferences.

Ole D.

"Scale out of the box"

What do you like best?

I'm amazed by this technology. Scale out of the box, any join of data is possible at any scale. While there is a cost component to care about this gives possibilities that required significant work out of the box.

What do you dislike?

Its a lock down to gcp. But the biggest mis for me is not being able to partitioning by anytime else then date

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you are looking to solve BI, Datalake or ETL problems this is definitely a product you would want to look at. Many have been using AWS and like Redshift, which I did as well until I tried BigQuery and now I'm not considering going back.

Analysing big sets of business data both for analytics and building products

Bryce L.

"Google BigQuery"

What do you like best?

Most queries on data into the TB finish in seconds or minutes. Bill per use cost structure makes it very economical. Data model, API, streaming tables, BQ ML. Everything about it is incredible and virtually perfect. Coming from relational database land, it seems like magic.

What do you dislike?

In the context of all other alternatives, I have no complaints. Of course if it were faster still and cheaper still, that would be nice.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very little investment of time or money is required to try BigQuery for a particular problem.

Data access for data scientists, ETL workflows, building aggregates for reporting in web applications. Analysis of streaming data. In particular analysis of classified social media data.

Jerome M.

"A great Analytics-Back-End-as-a-Service for a SaaS vendor"

What do you like best?

The PaaS approach: no need to provision capacity, we only stream data as it is generated by our clients on our SaaS product. Then, as our clients use our analytics dashboard, interactive BQ queries are running to get data.

The query language (SQL) allows to write very complex queries (pages long queries), which always execute in a few seconds, no matter the complexity and the amount of data.

What do you dislike?

For our specific use case, the concurrent query quota being on the project, not on the dataset, is a limiting factor, always forcing us to design in minimizing the number of interactive queries. If this quota was on a dataset level, that would allow us to increase our usage further (and our spend on BQ).

We get a fully managed back-end system for our SaaS product analytics.

Mykal A.

"Responsive at scale"

What do you like best?

No matter the amount of data, BQ is very repsonsive. Deletes in SQL Server would take 1-2 hours over 100 million rows of data while BigQuery took minutes. Connecting our BigQuery to Tableau would ingest our entire results set in a matter of a few minutes and provide powerful analytics.

What do you dislike?

The web UI needs improvement and it would be nice if we could build something similar to stored procedures.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure you have a knowledgable person building your schemas, otherwise you'll pay more for the table scans.

We are running analytics for healthcare quality metrics (NCQA measures). This requires hundreds of custom queries and plenty of staging, sorting, filtering of data. Once our results are complete, the final data set is loaded into a vizualization engine (Tableau).

CC
Consultant in Computer Software

"Plug and Play Datawarehouse"

What do you like best?

Time to value. Big Query allows you to focus on the important things quickly without spending time ensuring your hardware matches your needs. We like having a smaller set of variables when it comes to improving performance. Most importantly is the business value it delivered, refer to section below for more detail.

What do you dislike?

As with learning anything new there was some pain around limiting/controlling expensive queries. When we first made the switch we had issues with performance and queries running for extended periods of time. Just make sure you have a good understanding of how to partition tables. Once you figure that component out, the result speed you can experience is mind blowing!

Recommendations to others considering the product:

make the switch now.

We are powering our analytics with it. After trying to manage our own hadoop cluster and failing miserably in delivering value to the business, we decided to look into bigquery to sit on top of our data collection. With bigquery, our data team is in a position to incorporate new data quickly and deliver curated datasets to the business faster. As a result, we have accurate data in the hands of every business user to augment their decision making process. It is estimated we have realized $100k in value through cost savings, fueling new product launches, etc.

"Review"

What do you like best?

There's nothing I can say I really like about it. It is OK and I wish there were other options for by google analytics needs, but it gets the job done.

What do you dislike?

It's a little confusing to use. I really just need to get used to using it more.I really wish that I could recreate everything from Google Analytics in BQ. We were told by Google support that macthing data from a GA report to a BQ data set will never match up, especially with using the User ID feature in GA.

I work in the Health Insurance industry so we work with alot of PII and PHI. Google Analytics doesn't allow either into its tables. So, we have to put some data into GA and some into BQ. Then, match it up later on. This process is very combersome and could be avoided if one of two things would happen:

1) Google Analytics expanded its user agreement with 360 customers to allo the capturing of PHI and/or PII in its tables.

2) Allow the reporting capabilities already created in GA to sit on top of BQ tables. It would take a significant amount of time to recreated all the reporting capabilities in Tableau to produce the same results already availible in GA.

I
Internal Consultant

"Big data done well"

What do you like best?

The ease of ingesting, managing, and analyzing data at an outstanding scale with far less effort than one could imagine. BigQuery combined with the matching set of pipeline tools makes it possible to deal with data that wasn't possible before opening up new opportunities to gain insights into how to exploit hidden opportunities.

What do you dislike?

It would be nice if the console simply gave you a cost estimate and not just the bytes scanned. There were some browser plugins that did this, but they don't support the new console.

Addressing resource exhaustion in the data center as the scale of data exceeds our ability to manage the servers and storage needed. We were able to improve the experience of analyst so that they could run more queries looking for new business cost cutting opportunities.

Sara R.

"Amazing software"

What do you like best?

Google BigQuery is an amazing technology, but might not be the best solution depending on your needs. For example, if you query your data a lot, it can end up being very expensive, as BigQuery also charges per data processed on a query.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that you have to pay for every query that you make.

I am solving our need to use multiple softwares for different things by using one hail all software

Christophe N.

"Perfect solution for analytics and logging "

What do you like best?

BigQuery is a great platform to perform analytics on big dataset. SQL is a great and powerful language and being able to query TBs of data in less than a minute is awesome. We use BigQuery to perform analysis on our logs and to identify trends in pricing for various items in different markets. Both the engineering team and the marketing team enjoy the tool.

What do you dislike?

We've often hit limitations in terms of query results size. Also, an interface to generate graphs out of query results directly in BigQuery would make the tool even more powerful.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Use table decorators for queries that are time boxed to avoid going over the whole table.

Integrate with Google Cloud Storage.

Analytics, stats aggregation which are then used on our product, logging.

Fernando N.

"Not only a database but a great processing framework"

What do you like best?

The agility of the processing and the flexibility of working with json -like schemas

What do you dislike?

Legacy sql is still the default on the interface. There should be easiers way to export results to GCS, instead of creating a temporary table and then exporting it

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have experience with other databases than you are good to go, just learn a little about nested schemas and read through the cookbook

Join data from Google Analytics with data imported from media sources and offline data to better drive marketings campaigns.

With BQ the amount of data that can be analysed fastly and with a low cost is astounishing

"Use BigQuery for Simplicity"

What do you like best?

I used BigQuery to access Google Analytics data. We didn't pay for the storage, but we have to pay per query. Storage is pretty cheap on its own ($0.02/GB), so it's a good alternative to something like Redshift. Keep in mind you'll have to pay separately for query processing so the cost will end up being about the same.

The real advantage to BigQuery is you don't have to worry about provisioning. All the hardware and database configurations are handled behind the scenes, so working in BigQuery was a breeze, unlike Redshift where you'll need dedicated engineers to optimize your instance.

What do you dislike?

The syntax is SQL-like, but does differ from traditional syntax in many ways. I also used BigQuery in its early days, and I found that many standard aggregate/analytical functions were missing. I think this has changed a lot in the past several years, and Google for the most part provides good documentation on their site.

As an analyst, I much prefer working with GA's raw event data in BigQuery as opposed to the limited web interface. It made my work much more efficient, and allowed for much richer analyses to be completed.

Joshua S.

"I like getting the data. I don't like having to use a new version of SQL."

What do you like best?

I use BigQuery to access data from Google Analytics. Since I find the Google Analytics interface to be a hassle and because I'm pretty decent with SQL I'd rather use the raw data to access the data I'm interested in. For that reason BigQuery is super helpful.

What do you dislike?

The downside of the BigQuery for me is the different type of SQL that you need to have for it. I'd prefer to use the SQL version I'm comfortable with and not their own version. The other thing I find strange is the data storage setup. Each day's data is kept separate and to access multiple days you have to stack these together.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

There's some overhead in terms of getting started but otherwise it's worthwhile.

I'm trying to understand how our subscribers interact with our different platforms.

Luciana M.

"Affordable Data Analytics Tool"

What do you like best?

BigQuery is a great platform to store large amounts of data, at an affordable price.

The user interface is nice and rather easy to understand and use. The documentation available (from Google), is of great use when you are new on the subject.

What do you dislike?

I think the pricing for small amounts of data should be a little lower, giving the fact that charges are made according to how much data you store. Rather than that, I don't have any complaint about the software.

Big Query in our company is used to store large amounts of information about our clients, to understand how they interact with our platform.

Madhavan C.

"Management Information system"

What do you like best?

Sociability , accuracy and speed. Also I like the public data set and data connectors to import data from external data set. I also like the it allows to share the Data Set in secure style.

What do you dislike?

Initial days it was difficult to coach or train others and it still a challenge, I would be great to make tools to use for Dummies

We use BigQuery to predict and analyse the customer satisfaction as well as other reports to help Products to make better decision.

John S.

"BigQuery is AWESOME!"

What do you like best?

The speed at which queries are executed regardless of the size of the tables. I have 40B+ row tables and it is remarkable that the query response is as fast now as it was when we started.

What do you dislike?

Not sure I can really answer this. Probably the part I dislike the most is that streaming data ingestion has to be via the APIs.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have a big dataset to analyze, using BigQuery is a no brainer.

Data analysis of our Google Drive usage.

Brent S.

"Power and simplicity"

What do you like best?

Bigquery builds upon my knowledge of SQL, plus takes advantage of my python skills as well. Which give me the flexibility to provide customized solutions.

What do you dislike?

Not my criticism, but I have heard that using Bigquery is expensive. I am not able to verify the veracity of that statement.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It has performance similar to Apache Drill, but is far more sophisticated and easier to scale up.

Ingestion of tall and wide survey research datasets. Millions of aggregations in short time.

Eliot J.

"bq review"

What do you like best?

I really like the simplicity of use with bigquery. It only takes a few minutes to be up and running. All of your typical sql commands will work so no need to learn a lot of new sytax to get started. Additionally I like the direct integration with google cloud studio.

What do you dislike?

I would like big query a little more if there were better documentation on standard migration patterns from more typical data warehouses.

we have a legscy data warehouse solution teradata that we would like to replace with a cloud bsed offereing.

"Perfect for Big Data Storage and Collection"

What do you like best?

I like how I can reach big datasets for analysis through BigQuery, such as Reddit dataset. Also, the initial subscription comes with 300$ value of data storage use.

What do you dislike?

I am used to R language and Python; I had to learn basics of SQL to retrieve data. Not a big hassle nowadays because there are a bunch of free introductory online courses out there, yet I had to invest more time in it.

The main reason I use BigQuery is to collect data for Social Network Analysis. There are a number of interesting datasets publicly available through BigQuery; which is a gold mine.

Kris S.

"BigQuery works well"

What do you like best?

Does what's advertised and is great for quick queries. Can become slow if sharing slots but incredibly powerful in relation to the amount of data my company stores.

What do you dislike?

The UI isn't very intuitive and takes some time getting used to finding where things are. Navigating to find storage, dataflow jobs etc. Also if you're not well versed in SQL and performance, you can find yourself doing terrible queries (shuffles) that can run for hours.

Doing quick analysis on large datasets. Very easy to interface with our data as well as build a data pipeline.

Jason S.

"Great product for querying lots of data"

What do you like best?

It is extremely fast to query lots of data and has lots of tooling to help write queries. It also has a ton of new tools coming out to visualize the data that you pull for non technical people to have.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes certain queries make the data processed explode for very non obvious reasons.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its easy. Do it.

Its a very versatile database that allows us to use it for many purposes which makes things easy. We use it for event storage and all analytics driven from them.

"Review of BigQuery from a former teradata user"

What do you like best?

BigQuery makes it super easy for us to build queries with it's syntax checker and allows us to determine how much data our code will process before we even hit go. After the query finishes in near seconds, we get a detailed output of all the steps that it went through.

What do you dislike?

When changing datasets/tables there is no way to refresh the dataset list or table/view list without refreshing the entire page.

Being able to unless our data to all of the business units within the company has been the best benefit. It's integration with Data Studio allows our teams to analyze and build self-service dashboards to meet their individual needs

Leonardo N.

"Serverless Data Warehousing with full capabilities "

What do you like best?

You don't have to worry about clusters and memory and disk or anything else.

Just Import your data and start to query. Simple and Powerful.

What do you dislike?

Not having native drivers for every enviroment like ODBC.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try-it and you will love it.

MArketing Analytics become easier. Usually marketing efforts come and go and you need to handle intense projects overnight or during some specific days or weeks.

Without the server overhead, you can just plug BigQuery into your analysis needs and use it as you need.

User in Media Production

"Extremely simple to use"

What do you like best?

It is extremely simple to load data into BigQuery. The support a different number of methods like CSV upload, post data or even live streaming of logs. You are able to do analytics and generate meaningful reports with simple SQL knowledge. The learning curve is pretty flat. There are also a number of reporting tools that play well with their APIs. The documentation is pretty great.

The pricing is also very reasonable and they split it out by storage cost and query cost, so you have a decent estimate of your bill.

What do you dislike?

You cannot updates and alter tables easily. This is not a drawback per say, but takes some getting used to. Sometimes the UI tool of big query is buggy, but it has its own quirks and is not too difficult to get used to it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try out their 90 day free trial which gives you $300 in credit. The pricing is quite reasonable and you can evaluate it will in 90 days. There are a few other products this works well with, like google cloud storage, if you are using those to store logs.

Understanding how users interact with our website. Understanding the most popular pages by time, county, domain. Understanding how ads perform on our website, etc

Bin Y.

"service"

What do you like best?

being a managed service, no worry about scaling up, like the performance on bigQuery. I have not use GCP much, mostly in AWS, like the APIs provided for all Google services.

What do you dislike?

I have not used this in development/test/production. In AWS, through redshift spectrum, can query structured data in object store directly. I have not use much BigQuery, don't know if bigQUery has this capability.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Can BigQuery query structured object in object store directly?

Performance on large amount of data

CC
Consultant in Computer Software

"I am using BIgQuery as analytical database to build Looker POC for customers"

What do you like best?

Performance, low entry barrier for small companies (since charge is per query), being able to split and unnest string data is very neat too. I like that Google Transfer Service makes it easy to ETL data to you can start enrichingand analysing it right away. I also like pretty high concurrency.

What do you dislike?

It seems more difficult to setup (UI not very intuitive) than competing product. If there would be an option to have higher concurrency with higher pricing, it would be great. Some companies start with fewer people but might scale up so it wouldbe nice to scale together with BiqQuery instead of having to switch to another tehcnology.

Getting real time analytical insights from massive datasets.

Luka C.

"Helps our clients discover insights faster"

What do you like best?

BQ has been a great tool for our GA360 clients. We use it to go beyond the typical GA UI in terms of user segments, attribution and connection with 3rd party datasources.

What do you dislike?

I think there are still advances to be done in terms of streaming and scheduling (only being able to use current date with table names is dissapointing)

Marketing related, mostly around connecting multiple datasources.

AI
Administrator in Insurance

"Very Easy to Setup and Fast Analytics"

What do you like best?

It is so fast to setup and the queries to load the data is very easy to understand. Pricing is competitive and the data analytics is top notch. It is able to handle tons of data and I haven't had any problems adding lots of data to the system and for it to be able to handle the analytics afterward is just amazing.

What do you dislike?

I don't like how I can't customize a lot of options that I would be able to if I was hosting the database on my own server. Google abstracts a lot of the hardware and management away from the user. So you are simply just adding data and running queries on that data.

We are using BigQuery to hold a portion of our log and analytics data to be used by business analysts to figure out how our customers are using our products.

IF
Industry Analyst / Tech Writer in Financial Services

"Big Query review"

What do you like best?

I like the fact I can use standard sql langunage which makes it much more adjustable and have better practices,

I like the guides for transforming standard sql to legacy sql - very informative

I like the fact I have on details the last update time

What do you dislike?

Most of the errors when running a wrong query are hard to locate in case of long queries,

Also moving between standard and legacy sql makes you to open each time the further option, tick/untick and change the syntax of the whole query, if there would be an auto translater it would be much easier

We are solving this as another use for complaince and monitoring system records output

John H.

"Simplest data intelligence platform to develop for and use !!"

What do you like best?

BigQuery is highly flexible for ingest and processing of queries at any scale. It is super easy to integrate using cloud functions and in conjunction with Data Studio provides a very powerful data analytics foundation for us.

What do you dislike?

Nothing really. BigQuery essentially has re-invented data warehousing for us.

Large scale data analytics at all scales with simple display and visualization using Data Studio and other tools

UE
User in Entertainment

"I have been using BigQuery for over 2 years for analytics, logging and more."

What do you like best?

• Affordable pricing

• Fully-managed service

• No configuration required

• Easy to use

What do you dislike?

I wish BigQuery had a user interface in the Google Developer Console to insert content and modify and table. Right now you can only run a read-only query.

I'm using BigQuery to solve 3 major problems:

• Analytics:

The data created by users are streamed into BigQuery so I can run complex queries to produce analytics that will be rendered for both users and data analysts.

• Logging:

I'm creating a lot of logs, which sometimes must be kept in a persistent storage for future analysis (in case of a bug, feature improvement, stats, etc).

BigQuery makes it easy to store and search that kind of content on very large datasets.

• Complex relational queries:

Since I'm also using the Google Datastore, which is a non-relational datastore, I can't make queries using JOINs at all. But BigQuery offers me the possibility to import entire Datastore tables so I can run complex and highly relational queries on my application data.

BigQuery offers a solution to query large amount of data that is affordable, flexible and very polyvalent without needing any sys-admin.

Glenn E.

"A Big Data Developers Best Friend"

What do you like best?

BigQuery is the easiest tool I've used to analyze very large sets of data in a familiar SQL syntax.

What do you dislike?

The BigQuery UI is an eyesore, and, while full-featured, does not allow for iterative query development. My teams perfer to query directly via the SDKs.

We needed a large data warehouse to store near-real time data for analytical purposes. With BQ we have empowered our marketing users to have up-to-date (nearly live) data from which to make decisions.

"Data Warehousing with Scale and Availability"

What do you like best?

Big Query has served us well as a data warehousing tool, being the source for our Tableau dashboards. It's readily available when we need it, and can scale seamlessly even if hundreds of users are querying the same table at the same time.

What do you dislike?

Improvements to join performance would be ideal - at this point BQ works well with a flat table but in our experience not when multiple joins are used.

We are using BQ as the source for our Tableau dashboards, as well as deep-dive ad-hoc querying of prepared reporting data. We never have to worry about availability or performance degradation.

Jorge B.

"Big Query solves a lot of issues for us"

What do you like best?

WHat is awesome about big Query is the quick turnaround on procssing. We get high level of processing with a computed result in very short time.

What do you dislike?

In order to massage the data for different use cases an export to BigTable is required. this makes releases very cumbersome.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure yur data is optimized for this platform and the particular use case you are attempting to deploy for.

real-time in game recommendatiobs to drive player engagement.

* We monitor all Google BigQuery reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.