Google Apps Script for G Suite Reviews & Product Details

English Teacher
E-Learning

"Google apps a plus"

What do you like best?

Easy to use. I love Google products in general.

What do you dislike?

Nothing at this point do I dislike. All good

Makes it easier to use in Google.

What is Google Apps Script for G Suite?

Google Apps Script is a JavaScript platform that provides easy ways to integrate with and automate tasks across Google products.

Google Apps Script for G Suite Profile Details

Google Apps Script for G Suite Profile Details

Google
Description
Organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful.
1998

Google Apps Script for G Suite Reviews

1-23 of 23 total Google Apps Script for G Suite reviews

Google Apps Script for G Suite Reviews

1-23 of 23 total Google Apps Script for G Suite reviews

"One of the many benefits to G Suite over Office"

What do you like best?

Since GAScript is just Javascript, it's incredibly easy to learn enough of it to do useful things. There's plenty of resources out there to get started and many of them make it so easy even those with only basic programming experience can pick it up.

What do you dislike?

There doesn't seem to be a way to debug scripts that strictly react to changes in a Sheet. Using the "debug" function just runs the script which then complains it has to event to react to.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Definitely look into examples Google provides at https://developers.google.com/apps-script/, there's so much you can do with this product that many don't take advantage of due to clinging to familiar applications.

For the sake of demonstrating the benefits G Suite can provide our small-ish company I built a GAScript to track a stockroom inventory spreadsheet that would move the item to a "to order" sheet based upon changing the inventory quantity to 0. Upon marking that line as ordered, it then moved it to an "ordered" sheet that would move the item back to "stock" when a user marked the item as restocked. Simple, but a massive improvement upon the previous system of a clipboard and paper.

"Simplistic Google at its Best"

What do you like best?

Through this application, we can create add-ons for Google Sheets, Docs, Slides, or Forms, which can be integral for the coders to apply accordingly. we can also automate the workflow, integrate with external APIs, and more to make sure all of our flow and system integration are at optimal place/ level. It also gives us an option to improve and personalize all the G Suite systems to make it most optimal for our use or the client's preference use. I also really like their Spreadsheet service that has been extended with the new Group class and the GroupControlTogglePosition enum. For this newly added option, groups are an association between an interval of contiguous rows or columns that can be expanded or collapsed as a unit. And this can optimize even more how we can utilize this product to optimally improve the functions.

What do you dislike?

I feel that simplicity of the software is good, but this may also be their biggest issue. It is a very basic product that may need a lot of work to be done for yourself to personalize and make it better for your personal use or for the prospective client's use. But other than that, I think it's a fine product.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is the standard and no-brainer for anyone in the industry to use this product if needed.

Though the Google Apps Script, we are able to create and personalize G Suite systems for both our use and the client's use. We realize that

IT Manager & Sales Executive

"Automation for beginners"

What do you like best?

The ability to automate recurring functions and add them as menu options. I love that there is quite a bit of documentation provided by Google itself and even more available online at places like stack overflow. This is due to it being Java script as opposed to a custom brew of code.

What do you dislike?

Writing code. HA! I am a novice at best, but this as needs must I have muddled my way into some very helpful scripts. So with that in mind, I am not sure how qualified I am to point out flaws... what I will say is that when tying the script to a button the naming is confusing.... as one would intuitively think that you enter the name you gave the script project title; however, if you happened to have multiple scripts or renamed one of the scripts in the project, you must enter precisely the name of that script which you are tying to the button.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Take advantage of the online community and the amazing scripts that are readily available for adaptation for your needs. If you are an actual programmer and you know Java, well you don't need my recommendations... but for my fellow non-programmers this is a great way to get your feet wet.

I have been able to automate several time consuming tasks and thus freed up the equivalent of 2 full time employees... not to mention the reduction of errors and technical support needed for these functions. I am currently overhauling a major information access system from within a our SAAS CRM into Google Fusion tables via the Google Apps Script. The information is initially entered using a Google Form that I have set up as a workflow. Aside from triggering emails to facilitate and track the process of the workflow the data is entered is stored in a Google Sheet. In the past I have used a merge document option to display data and simply pasted it into the CRM. However, frequent changes to that data required Admin access to the CRM and thus consumed a lot of my time. Google Fusion tables can display that data as cards (which can be customized using html) and I can simply insert the URL to the published card in the CRM. I can allow the owner of the information access to edit their own rows within the fusion table and eliminate my need in the ongoing information update process. What Google Apps script facilitates in this situation is the automatic sync from the Google Sheet entry into the Google Fusion table upon the Google Form Submission. So there is no up front change to the process for the users, only in the ongoing maintenance portion. This has been received well because I had required a workflow form submission to be sent for all information changes, after complete adoption this will be unnecessary and they will be allowed to edit the information in Fusion Tables, which immediately updates the Fusion Card Display.

Project Specialist
Religious Institutions
(10,001+ employees)

"Easy, intuitive interface between apps"

What do you like best?

I like the consistency when you move from app to app. And because the apps cover such a breath of needs, there is always something there you can use.

What do you dislike?

The plus of it being a cloud based can become a negative when you are on a slow connection. I know there are off line options, but when 95% of your time it is not an issue, you hate to have to deal with the overhead of taking things off line for just the 5% of the time you need it.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I guess I'm not 100% sure that we use Google Apps Script for G Suite. I know I do with a separate company I run.

Making it easy for various team members to connect. The collaboration and sharing tools are incredible.

Google Cloud Platform Student Innovator for Google via Vaco

"Amazing automation provisioning of the G-Suite Apps!"

What do you like best?

I think Google Apps Script is one of the most underrated G-Suite products. It allows the user to add custom scripts into Google Slides or Google Docs and helps embed cross-functionality tools and 3rd part apps into the G-Suite app that you're currently using. It's easy to use and can be integrated with every GSuite app across the board.

What do you dislike?

The major prerequisite is Javascript which one has to know the basics of to be able to write down custom scripts. It's definitely a developer tool but it should be made more accessible to people who do not have experience coding or just have a working knowledge.

My primary use was creating custom add-ons for different projects and since I represented the brand of G-Suite, I would use it to demonstrate in front of an audience.

Digital Support Engineer

"Easiest way to implement spreadsheets with Slack API"

What do you like best?

I've used this to build out a request database with forms, sheets, and Slack. Since I'm new to this space I was able to get this working by looking through the API documentation with ease. I think it's great that there is an option to code in functionality to the existing products.

What do you dislike?

I had a hard time figuring out some connections between apps but after some research I was able to to get everything working.

This function helps me connect sheet input to Slack. The user goes to a form and fills out a software request. It is then stored in a sheet and also sent to Slack for our support team to fulfill the request. It works very well and we now have a history of requests in our sheets.

"I can easily automate my work using Google apps script"

What do you like best?

That i can easily automate the whole process of my work using the integration between google apps script and Gsuite with only Javascript which is widely used for web and everyone is probably familiar with it or even for those who don't know Javascript they can learn it easily in a couple of days and become good at it too.

What do you dislike?

The documentation isn't enough, sometimes i get lost when i try to do something custom using google apps script with google sheets and there is not enough material on the Internet.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

For those who are using Gsuite and google products like docs, sheets or slides, you should definitely try google apps. It will automate the process that can take up to hours to make by yourself.

I used the combination of Gsuite and google apps script in getting orders from firebase database and storing it in google sheets and also it allowed me to make it sync automatically every hour. Also i imported products that i save in google sheets to firebase and it just took me 1 day to get all things setup.

Family educator
(5001-10,000 employees)

"Able to use Google way more better"

What do you like best?

So I pretty much use Google and the apps every single day, and the the app script for g suite allows all my different apps like, email, maps calendar and text to run smoothly.

What do you dislike?

There are few glitches that still need to be worked out within some of the apps I do use. Like when using maps, it may take a while to load up.

We use google script g suite every day at my job. We use the email, the maps. For our work cellphones.

Data Scientist

"A great tool for getting more out of G Suite"

What do you like best?

Even with minimal knowledge of javascript, you can greatly increase the functionality of the various parts of G suite.

What do you dislike?

There are a few places with App Script and Javascript differ for seemingly little reason with can take a little while to get used to.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you have anyone in your company who know javascript, get them to handle Apps Script for you as the format is nigh identical.

It is allowing us to use a combination of google sheets and google forms with a few scripts as a makeshift and, more importantly free, ticketing system for tracking task requests.

"My exprience with Google apps script"

What do you like best?

It helped increase the functionality of the already existing apps that I use like sheets, drive and slides. I like that it's all on a JavaScript platform and integrated with the cloud which allowed me to start working with it without needing much time to learn its programming language or codes since I'm already familiar java it's an easy language.

What do you dislike?

It needs you to be a developer, programmer, or to know at least a thing or two about JavaScript to be able to work with it. Because of the cloud nature of Apps Script, functions related to date and time will produce incorrect and inaccurate results due to difference in time zones.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its capabilities are amazing and what you can do with it will satisfy all of your needs from google apps but instead of writing the script yourself you can use scripts developed by community developers who publish it for free and it does most of the common functions people need.

I used it to import data from the Crunchbase API into Google Sheets which allowed me to display the content of a Google Sheet into various types of views, from a simple table to people directories, Gantt chart views and Google Maps.

Director of Operations

"easy to learn, easy to manage"

What do you like best?

The scripting language is very easy to learn and adopt. There's ample help resources online, and most of the time it is very intuitive and straight forward to use

What do you dislike?

managing scripts in between multiple tabs in sheets is sometimes harder, but once it's defined properly, it works greate

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Try it... you might like it.

backend data collection and automation. Was able to migrate most excel spreadsheets VBA scripts to Google Apps Scripting

"Nice tool for automation"

What do you like best?

- nice docs

- easy to start writing script without previous experience

- ability to create/edit different google products (sheets/docs/etc)

What do you dislike?

- hard to deal with JSON files

- dealing with google sheets is not that easy at the beginning (but when you learn how to deal with it - it's fine)

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Read documentation - its's quite good

- automation of refreshing some data (for example: reflect changes in file A in files B and C so that they where up to date)

- pre-processing some data (making some complex calculations in google sheets using app script and then using result data in tableau for visualization)

Software Engineer
Publishing

"G Apps Script"

What do you like best?

There is not a lot of set up that needs to be done in order to start coding. The documentations are straightforward and full of useful information. It's also easy to test and save each version of the code.

What do you dislike?

While its easy to test the app, I wish logging out the information in the console and debugging could be easier and more efficient.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its nice to browse around and read the docs.

Creating a chrome extension.

Developer

"The Power of App Script"

What do you like best?

App Script allows me to implement business logic in a very fast and efficient way. The ecosystem is excellent and I bypass the OAuth flow.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike anything. However, it would be great if there was an official support channel for App Script.

Every department has automation needs and since LucasFilm is a GSuite customer, I can quickly implement business logic.

External Communications
Education Management

"Very nice tool to make something complicate very simple"

What do you like best?

I like how I'm able to do much more with just Google Sheets via Google Apps Script, such as making it into an email signup endpoint. It has simplified my workflow.

What do you dislike?

Saving doesn't work sometimes, and the development screen keeps refreshing at the wrong time very often.

It can simplify workflows and provide special functions for people with special needs in data analysis.

"Google app script g suite"

What do you like best?

I like that google is backed up by google drive and the easy accessibility that google provides for all its apps. Love google script suite and would recommend over anything else.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing that I dislike about google script g suite. I am very satisfied with this app and haven't found anything I don't like about Google apps in general.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Go ahead and give it a try it's worth it

It saves me time and its a trusted app. Doesn't malfunction works properly and efficiently.

C

"Apps Script is super easy"

What do you like best?

I found getting into the Apps Script engine extremely easy from the Google Sheets and Google Forms menus. Once I was in the tool it was pretty simple to get to the feature I needed and run and test the code. Sharing the project with other developers before I published as also easy using Google Drive.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to remember that keyboard shortcuts do not save the changes.

Calling an external API to start a workflow when a Google Form is submitted.

(10,001+ employees)

"Automation of mundane tasks"

What do you like best?

With Google apps script we create simple code to help us be more collaborative at work, create directory lookups, and automate countless mundane everyday tasks.

What do you dislike?

I wish there was a way for people that can't code, do use Apps Script. "App Maker" is a good start, but it needs to be super simple while keeping the same power of Google Apps Scripting.

Directory lookups, automation of workflows in Google Sheets, and the creation of apps within App Engine or Compute engine.

"Supercharging your Google Apps made easy"

What do you like best?

The Google Apps Script APIs were easy to use and very well documented. The debugger was pretty decent.

What do you dislike?

The Google Apps Script version of Javascript is based on an older version of Rhino and it did not support all modern features of Javascript. Logging of exceptions and errors could have been a tad easier.

WI was working on a script that would auto-generate a copy of a Google document based on a master template based on input from a Google Form.

"Easy to use for a Medium Size public library"

What do you like best?

The simple to use documentation to make a few simple app scripts to manipulate data from our Integrated library system software. It has allowed us to better analyze data. We also used app script to make an in house employee performance review product.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is hard to follow the screens.

As I previously mentioned, we used it to improve workflow for Employee review process.

"Great!"

What do you like best?

I was able to automate some functions used in my workplace pretty easily. Lots of documentation on google site to help you learn to use the tools.

What do you dislike?

Every so often the scripts crash for no reason (i.e. they work 999/1000 times and then you get an email saying that your script wasn't executed)

We were able to save time by automating repetitive tasks on Google sheets.

E
(10,001+ employees)

"Easy way to create mini Apps!"

What do you like best?

Within a matter of a couple of hours, someone can teach themselves how to use AppScript and make their business processes more effiicent!

What do you dislike?

Currently I cannot use AppScript to use external workflows.

AppScript helps us make gathering data easier, to assist with business processes.

(10,001+ employees)

"Intuitive and relatively easy to use "

What do you like best?

Google Apps Script for G Suite is very well documented and there are good examples of code to use.

What do you dislike?

Mainly javascript based so if you are coming from a Python or Bash background, there is a learning curve.

Manipulation of data and automation.

Google Apps Script for G Suite User Ratings

7.4
Ease of Setup
Average: 6.8*
* G Suite Development Tools Category
Do you work for Google Apps Script for G Suite?

Google Apps Script for G Suite Categories on G2