GNOME Terminal

Terminal is a terminal emulator application for accessing a UNIX shell environment which can be used to run programs available on your system.

Work for GNOME Terminal?

Learning about GNOME Terminal?

GNOME Terminal Reviews

Showing 5 GNOME Terminal reviews
GNOME Terminal review by Jorge G.
Jorge G.

"It is good, simple, but I prefer use another terminal with more features"

What do you like best?

The best thing I like in gnome terminal is its simplicity and stability. I'm a developer, and gnome-terminal is enough for compile source codes, navigate through folders and SSH connections.

What do you dislike?

I just think it could be better in user experience. I prefer terminator's user experience, as it allows the user to split the screen into several smaller screens (without need to change tabs). I think gnome-terminal should implement this "split-screen" feature as well. Another great feature that could be implemented is "fish" like autocomplete. Fish shows autocomplete when you are typing, allowing you to just press the right keyboard arrow to autocomplete the command.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are a dynamic developer, there could be other better options (fish and terminator). But, if you are a normal user, this is the best option for sure.

Compile and run source codes (c++, java, python), SSH access and navigate though folders. It is more like a terminal for regular linux users.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about GNOME Terminal
GNOME Terminal review by Dylan M.
Dylan M.

"The always available terminal"

What do you like best?

The Gnome terminal is perfect for executing all types of Unix commands from any graphical environment, since it is compatible with non-Gnome environments.

Allows you to configure a profile file to define all the customizations you want.

What do you dislike?

The negative part of the gnome terminal is that you can not store information for the last session, that is, it does not remember the paths or orders executed in each terminal

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Gnome terminal is perfect for working in Linux environments, since all available commands can be executed. It also lets you work with tabs and split the screen to increase the productivity

I use the Gnome terminal to execute all types of commands, such as connecting to the servers, copying or manipulating files, as well as executing applications and reading the results.

What Terminal Emulator solution do you use?

GNOME Terminal review by Joseph A.
Joseph A.

"The default terminal"

What do you like best?

With the Gnome terminal you can do thousands of tasks thanks to the fact that it is compatible with all Unix commands. Being a GUI terminal maintains compatibility with graphic applications. Unlike other TTY's, it allows you to run applications based on GNU Courses and use the mouse to interact.

What do you dislike?

The learning curve is quite high, since you have to know the large number of commands available to work with it

Recommendations to others considering the product

The Gnome terminal is more powerful than other terminals such as Xterm, since the integration with GUI applications is much better.

I use the Gnome terminal usually in Linux operating systems where I have a Gnome compatible distribution, usually Ubuntu. It allows me to work in a more efficient and productive way than with the mouse only.

GNOME Terminal review by Mike P.
Mike P.

"A must tool of Ubuntu and debian"

What do you like best?

Gnome Terminal is the default terminal that you can use in Ubuntu or Debian if you use Gnome or even Unity desktop. Gnome Terminal is a full feature terminal that allows you to work in a command line interface and take advantage of all commands and tools of Unix environment.

What do you dislike?

It's a bit hard to define colors or advanced options in Gnome Terminal, compared with other terminal emulators like Konsole. Anyway it's a really good option.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Gnome Terminal it's a great terminal emulator for Linux systems. You can work with multiple tabs, and move around them just with keyboard shortcuts, you can define a file ".bashrc" where you can define multiple customizations or enjoy writing commands with the autocomplete feature that finish the words for you.

I use as default terminal emulator in Ubuntu computers, it allows me to do my typical tasks, browse inside folders, connect to remote computers with SSH, compile codes with G++

GNOME Terminal review by User

"Great command tool line for getting your work done."

What do you like best?

The best thing I like about the gnome terminal is that it repaints and resizes the contents as I resize my window. I use it everyday and it ALWAYS works. It is very stable and provides the features I need to do my job like: multiple terminals in a single window, quickly switching between terms, scrolling, and searching. It never gets in the way of doing me doing my job!

What do you dislike?

I dislike that it doesn't have some of the cool features that iterm has. In time though I expect it will have them, and for free!

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are using xterms, the switch is worth it.

I use the command line daily as a software developer for everything from sshing into remote machines and grepping data to editing lcoal configuration files.

Learning about GNOME Terminal?

* We monitor all GNOME Terminal reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.