Fusion 360

Fusion 360

Fusion 360 unifies design, engineering, and manufacturing into a single platform.

Work for Fusion 360?

Learning about Fusion 360?

Fusion 360 Reviews

Fusion 360 review by Kenny C.
Kenny C.

"Strong Modeler, Light on Industrial Tools"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 is a great 3D solid modeler and advanced TSpline surface modeler that offers fantastic usability and performance. The software runs on Mac or Windows which is nice for a mixed environment. Fusion 360 also supports just about any CAD data out there and makes working with other people's data a breeze. The CAM package and render engine inside Fusion 360 provide great results and the pricing is right in the sweet spot.

What do you dislike?

Fusion 360 stores data in the cloud. While the system has wonderful up-time, the simple fact that your data resides on a server outside of your control may sway some high security entities from pursuing Fusion. The platform is always being updated as well - generally with a quarterly big update and then smaller incrementals as needed. Unfortunately, this means that features may be inadvertently broken during these many updates or new bugs may present themselves. Lastly, the software lacks many of the powerful tools found in Inventor or Solidworks - like gear generators, shafts, springs, etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't expect Fusion to replace your desktop solid modeling software - yet. If you're using Inventor, Solidworks, ProE/Creo, Catia, or NX you will likely need to hang on to your heavy license for a while. Fusion 360 is a very capable modeler and the simulation and CAM packages are quite robust, but they lack the more powerful design generators, mechanical simulation, and documentation tools needed to replace the heavy engineering tools found in the other softwares out there. If you're trying to decide between Fusion and OnShape - go with Fusion. Autodesk supports the tools very well and there is an active community of users who help out one another.

Fusion 360 is an all-in-one industrial design and mechanical engineering package. Using Fusion has allowed us to streamline our conceptual development and our mechanical development into a single tool and speed the process from sketch to 3D printed or machined prototype parts. Previously, we were using an integrated but discreet toolchain to achieve these results - which meant moving data from package to package and often from user to user. With all the tools we need in one software, our designers can go from idea to validated design and on to prototypes in hours or days instead of weeks or months.

Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Fusion 360
Showing 108 Fusion 360 reviews
Fusion 360 review by Tyler G.
Tyler G.
Sign in to G2 to see what your connections have to say about Fusion 360
Fusion 360 review by Jonathan O.
Jonathan O.

"Quickest, Easiest Way to Make Anything"

What do you like best?

My favorite thing about Fusion 360 is how easy it is to go from ignoramus to competent practitioner. Here's a very common statement I frequently hear from customers: although you can go deep into hardcore manufacturing and engineering, with about a week of practice and some YouTube videos, you can be successful to a degree that would take some serious (and expensive) training with other products.

What do you dislike?

Since it's a relatively new product, there are still bugs to be worked out and features that need to be added. The frequent updates coming automatically through the cloud are great, but they often also introduce new bugs that can be irritating, but with each iteration the product gets better.

Recommendations to others considering the product

There's a 30 day free trial and free license options. It's worth a try!

I've heard many answers to this questions from dozens of customers. Here are a few common ones:

• Having CAD and CAM in a single product saves time and money, both in the speed of the workflow and in the reduced opportunities for error (think exporting / versioning).

• There's a wide array of free learning learning material, and a robust and helpful community. This makes it easy to learn quickly and get help.

• The low price of a F360 license made it possible to start a small business.

•The intuitive UI makes it easy to train new people, getting them to productivity quickly.

What Product and Machine Design solution do you use?

Fusion 360 review by Grant C.
Grant C.

"Absolutely awesome 3D CAD software"

What do you like best?

The user interface and rendering engines are absolutely fantastic, I can design in 3D faster and easier with this product that I can with every other CAD product I've used in the past. I like that you can break down an object into it's components and then create 2D CAD drawings directly from those components ready for making them. I also really like the timeline and that you can go back and edit something and those changes then flow through your whole design.

What do you dislike?

There are not enough material appearances available,, sometimes I would like to use materials for background or scene objects but they're just not available (eg brick, concrete, flooring types etc).

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't hesitate, go and download the trial today. Fusion 360 is absolutely awesome.

I sue Fusion 360 to design wooden furniture, boxes, tooling, gadgets and even fabric items such as luggage. It's really quick to go from and idea to a visualisation and then to component drawings. The renderings are incredibly accurate when compared with the finished real product.

Fusion 360 review by David C.
David C.

"The best CAD software for any user. "

What do you like best?

What I feel is best, is the intuitiveness of the program. Being the first CAD program I learned, the tools were easy to learn and understand, and the more I used the program, the more ambitious I became to explore and grow as much as possible. Learning Fusion allowed me to learn other programs while enrolled in University and got me hungry to improve, learn and grow within the program itself.

What do you dislike?

I dislike that there is no real algorithmic integration for Mac Users. I know dynamo is for windows and is available, but simple things like adding textures or patterns would be a nice addition if possible.

Recommendations to others considering the product

One of if not the most versatile CAD platforms currently available on the market to all experience levels. The fact that high school students are using this program before attending university, is a testament to the wide market this product appeals to.

I know there are a lot, but I feel I am not qualified to answer this.

Fusion 360 review by Scott P.
Scott P.

"Fusion 360 CAD CAM with Eagle"

What do you like best?

Complete integrated package that combines mechanical 3D modeling with CAM so I can create G code to operate the Milling Machine, Lathe, CNC 2D Plasma, 3D Printer. Integration with Eagle PCB Design software allowing import of 3D model of the PCB's designed in Autodesk Eagle. Cloud storage so designs can be shared between team members and when I'm working from locations other than the main business office. Massive YouTube tutorial base from Autodesk and others.

What do you dislike?

1) I'm nervous about Cloud storage security. 2) The trend for engineering software is moving to subscription based software. This is both good and bad. The good is that a full blown software package is only $310 per year ( I was an early adopter, your price may vary). This is a great price compared to $15,000 for our previous software. The bad is you need to continue to pay every year to maintain ability to use or modify your designs.

Recommendations to others considering the product

So far, I am very happy with the Fusion 360 CAD / CAM integration. It's great to have one product that include both design and creation of CNC G code to run our machines. Still early in the stages of using it with Eagle PCB design software, but so far it's working great.

3D Cad design of electronic assemblies, enclosures including Printed Circuit board modeling. Creation of G code to drive our CNC Mill and CNC Lathe.

Fusion 360 review by David S.
David S.

"Learning how to use the tool and teach others"

What do you like best?

I like the power of the platform and how similar it is to using Inventor. Being able to take a design and send it to a 3D printer, or run it to the CNC, or to create an animation helps me teach design and manufacturing concepts to the High School Students I mentor.

What do you dislike?

1. The learning curve and the paradigm shift. I am a 2+ decads user of AutoCAD 2D tools - I still use them in my professional work. So using the sketch and the extrusion tools is a gear shift that took time to overcome.

2. It appears that Students using the application can't share the files I create in my hobbyist/start-up mode system. Of at least I have not figured out how to do it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Super Powerful, but a steep learning curve.

For my business, I am working on a number of R&D applications for robotic grippers and machine interfaces. I also mentor a FIRST FRC Robotics team and use the platform to develop designs with the students on the team. Several of the students also use Fusion360 for design and development work for the team robot.

Fusion 360 review by Timothy P.
Timothy P.

"Perfect for small start-ups and large corporations"

What do you like best?

The value for Fusion 360 is unbeatable. I worked at an academic entrepreneurial institute and we emphasized principles of thrift but hypocritically taught 3D design and analysis with expensive CAD packages. Good luck with that when you go out on your own and have to start paying for software. The value for Fusion 360 is incredible. I don't know how they offer it at such low of a price with all of the capabilities and features that it has.

What do you dislike?

I have been using it for over a year and there is nothing so far that I dislike.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! I want to see this pricing strategy for Fusion 360 to succeed. I hope they make a lot of money on all of the other strategies they have so that it is a success and adopted by enough users to make it sustainable. Autodesk must have put alot of money into its development and I hope that they get the volume of users to make it happen.

In my start-up we have reduced the our software expenses significantly. In addition, as a small start-up we work remotely so the collaboration and online platform have saved us time and money.

Fusion 360 review by Tim S.
Tim S.

"Growing business, a huge variety of different parts - no problem for Fusion 360!"

What do you like best?

We really got hooked on the workflow. It's all set up in a way that Everything makes sense. I use Fusion 360 mainly for the CAM-Environment - I make my DMG DMU 75 run parts every day of the week using only Fusion 360.

What do you dislike?

The only thing I really dislike is the fact that I can't run a custom form tool in multi-axis Flow. But I mean, that's something I can live without but it would be pretty cool if it becomes available in a future update.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just give it a shot, I mean - they offer a free trial. I think most of the people who are willing to try it out won't get dissappointed.

We don't have to deal with local or server storage for all our files anymore, that's something that helps us along the way. I work alot during the evenings at home, preparing new programs to be run - with all files being cloud stored this is really simple to achieve. The guys working at the shop floor also really like how easy the software is to use. We have become that much faster at making programs, on the go, at the floor that we don't even see it as a problem anymore.

Fusion 360 review by Tom A.
Tom A.

"Fusion 360 - the future of CAD systems"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 has some serious features which really make it stand out from other CAD systems. While each one has its benefits and downsides, Fusion has some features which other CAD systems are nowhere near having. Mainly things such as the Cloud capability. I can access all my files from anywhere in the world, on any computer, also there are IOS apps so you can take your designs with you on the go, which I have done when I have visited clients, I have taken my iPad and shown them the designs in 3D.

I also like the fact it has multiple features already built into the package - such as CAM and analysis software. Then finally, it's great value, there's no crippling seat fees and annual subscriptions into the thousands, All in all it's great for small and large businesses a like, and also great for hobbyists and students to learn on.

What do you dislike?

Suitability to HD oversize screens - every update (this may have been fixed now, I'm not sure) the interface errors out when you initially run Fusion 360 on it, and makes it unusable. There is a fix for this, but it's quite laborious, and tedious as it has to be "fixed" after every update.

Lastly, the CTRL to orbit is so annoying and unnatural. This is a must change in your preferences so that you can orbit a model around properly with just the mouse.

I am able to render designs for use in demonstrations for clients. The render tool is really easy to use and looks great.

I am also able to keep all my files in an ISO-style directory, all stored in the cloud, rather than being worried about storing clients details on a HDD or server.

Fusion 360 review by Nirmal M.
Nirmal M.

"Best CAD software so far!"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 provides analysis, modelling, sculpting, rendering features under one roof.

3D Yug being a product design firm keeps exploring Fusion 360 features for it's rendering, cloud based file sharing purpose. This helps clients see the designs on the go from any platform.

What do you dislike?

There is nothing in Fusion you can dislike.

Being an active Fusion user, I think Fusion team provides feedback of your dislikes/issues through improved software updates everytime. Also, Fusion social media handles are greatly helpful for all from beginners to pro level users in all matters.

3D Yug is focussed on product design and manufacturing in India. Clients keep providing feedback on problems faced by Indian consumers, which help us develop a product made for India, in India!

Being in a competitive market, Fusion helps to give best of products through revisions, analysis and quality renders in no time under one roof.

Fusion 360 review by Mauro R.
Mauro R.

"Powerful 2D/3D design tool, with some limitations"

What do you like best?

Adobe Fusion 360 is a very powerful, very complete tool for modeling and designing all sorts of objects in 2D or 3D. You can design anything from simple, flat stickers to a complex, multi-part engine with many moving parts (and see them working together) to a house. This program can be used by designers, engineers, architects, you name it. The range of applications is mind-boggling. You can even get a free license if you only want to use as a hobbyist, so even the price is right. The pro license is also pretty affordable if you use it for your business (just over $40/month if you pay yearly, at the time I'm writing this).

What do you dislike?

Can be a little complicated to use, with the user interface being a little arcane sometimes, e.g. extended tooltips describe the tool in a vague manner which doesn't provide much info to the user. Although there are a number of video tutorials available, most of them refer to older versions. There were a number of big changes in the software fairly recent and a lot of the tutorials, even in their own website, are outdated, using commands or tools that are no longer available or have changed since the video was made. Most of the tutorials/help articles are in video format, which can make it hard to follow along while trying to reproduce what they're teaching you. Also, most of the answers you find in the forums refer to older versions too.

I've encountered some stability issues, with the program sometimes freezing or crashing, so make sure you save your projects often.

I also wish their support for meshes was better. As it is, it's almost nonexistent... other than importing the meshes and displaying them on the screen, you can't really do much if you only have a STL or OBJ file that you need to modify. You might have to end up redesigning the whole thing from scratch if you want to change it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I currently use Fusion 360 alongside with a couple of other applications, depending on the specifics of the project. Sometimes it's easier to model objects in simpler applications like Vectary or even Tinkercad, especially if you have to start from existing STL/OBJ files.Fusion 360 definitely has a lot of functionality and it is very powerful, but it can be overkill for simple applications if you only need to sketch something out really quickly.

Some prototyping for packaging and product ideas.

Fusion 360 review by Jack S.
Jack S.

"Fusion 360: Great 2D/3D CAD and FEA, but with an Achilles heel."

What do you like best?

The price: Around 1/10 the cost of Solidworks (software + maintenance) for your first year, and 1/4 the cost thereafter.

Complete functionality on a Mac: Solidworks isn't likely to go there soon, but you can have it today with Fusion 360.

Cloud-based system: Every time you open Fusion 360, you are automatically logged onto the cloud and have access to all the latest updates. Your files are there too, no matter what computer you were working on yesterday, or what continent you were working from.

What do you dislike?

Autodesk has been silent about if, how, and when they intend to get their cloud-based services like Fusion Lifecycle PLM and their Fusion 360 CAD to comply with U.S. export control regulations such as EAR (Department of Commerce) and ITAR (Department of State). My company has customers who will not allow us to work from the Autodesk cloud for this reason, which essentially negates much of the value of using Fusion 360 in the first place.

Recommendations to others considering the product

The lack of export controls certification with the Autodesk cloud may or may not be an impediment to some companies enjoying the significant capability and excellent pricing of Fusion 360. Consider this carefully before committing to purchasing and learning this product.

For private consulting, Fusion 360 offers an economical way to access a powerful 2D and 3D CAD application without worrying about whether you'll earn enough just to break even on the annual cost of your CAD maintenance. The start-up costs are an order of magnitude cheaper than Solidworks or other so-called mainstream CAD software programs.

Fusion 360 review by JAMES W.
JAMES W.

"Software for all applications"

What do you like best?

I like the community support in this software and the continued attention to detail Autodesk give to this package

What do you dislike?

I dislike the limited literature available from trusted sources, i have purchased 2 books so far as i believe this is a great addition to my skills.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I have used many other packages and i believe this is on its way to becoming the industry standard.

I am a hobbyist so it gives me a great platform to develop and create prototypes for cnc mill and 3d printing. Its exactly what you need if product development is your focus. I would really like to learn more about simulation as it is something i have never rally focused on and this tool gives me the chance to do that.

Fusion 360 review by Varun B.
Varun B.

"Good procedural software, missing a few features."

What do you like best?

I love the procedural modeling workflows used in Fusion, as you're able to save a lot of time if you have to go back edit a small piece of a part. I also like the ability to parametrically design the parts, which allows for easy clearance inputs for different manufacturing processes without having to go and edit the clearance of each part one by one.

What do you dislike?

I do not like the lack of features coming from other CAD software as well as media production software like Autodesk Maya. Certain simple tasks, like selecting a loop of edges aren't implemented, which means when you want to do something as simple as filleting/chamfering an edge, you'll have to click on each edge part of the loop. Also, the error messages are extremely cryptic, having more information there would be useful. The online discussion pages for the issues people have had also seems lacking, and I think could be vastly improved by having more tutorials on platforms like YouTube.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use this for highly technical projects with stiff requirements.

This software is great when you want to iterate on a part only making small tweaks until your parts fit or perform just right. In addition, many content creators, specifically those providing 3d printing related content are users of the software. This has made it quite easy to learn how to start rapid prototyping designs that would otherwise require entire redesigns each and every time a part would have to be modified.

Fusion 360 review by Chris J.
Chris J.

"My favorite CAD platform!"

What do you like best?

I really like how clean the program is. I've used several CAD programs in the past and I have found that Fusion 360 provides more features in a very organized and attractive manner. I also love the versatility of being able to model and stress test all in the same platform. Perfection!

What do you dislike?

I occasionally run into little hiccups where things just don't work as expected. Typically I don't have issues, but when I do they can be very time consuming and frustrating to work through.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's a great platform. If you are considering getting it, look into a free trial. They let you test the program for about a month so you can really dig in and find out if you want to use it long term.

I mostly design and build camera parts and motorcycle parts for several companies.

Fusion 360 review by David F.
David F.

"Transformed My Workflow"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 is amazingly well integrated. It includes a modeling and a sculpting workflow. I've also used the finite element analysis to test structural loads and optimize materials. I've used it to collaborate with others on drawings. And I've used its integration with EAGLE to produce mechanical drawings of my populated PCBs automatically so that I could design enclosures and mounts.

What do you dislike?

Fusion can be buggy. But it's getting better. I've asked for and gotten specific bug fixes.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use the free trial to see if it works for you. Use the support videos to learn how to use it. Pay particular attention to the measurement and analysis options.

I've in-housed my hardware design and I've used its integration with on-line machine shops and McMaster-Carr to streamline my manufacturing and ordering.

Fusion 360 review by Lucy R.
Lucy R.

"Excellent CAD and CAM package"

What do you like best?

The flexibility to jump between CAD and Cam facilities. As I mainly use our models to produced CNC machine files the ability to jump between the two saves a lot of time.

What do you dislike?

Some the build features could be improved, solidworks I think does a better job at creating accurate models quickly. I think fusion could improve the accuracy element, sometimes feels a little childish/google sketch up with the way components are produced compared to Solidworks

Recommendations to others considering the product

If you are looking for a machining program to create GCode fusion is very easy to use, has excellent customer service and help sections if you get stuck. It also is very flexible allowing you to create toolpaths you wouldn't be able to in other programmes.

Creating g code in order to machine parts, without Fusion 360 we would be unable to do this

Fusion 360 review by rene h.
rene h.

"A novice user experience"

What do you like best?

As a electronics engineer , occasional using SW for simple designs , I sniffed a Fusion and made the switch.

It fordable, even for occasional users, its fast, the help system works great.

Simulation is made easy, 3D printing well supported and the CAM modules looks real nice.

What do you dislike?

Making relations between objects is quit different from SW, I did not get a "hang" of it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Start using Fusion on a pilot project and request demo's of the work done. I think it will show how well it works.

Because its so fordable, I can take consulting jobs and use Fusion to realize the mechanical aspects of the jobs. My customers are very impressed when showing stress simulations.

Fusion 360 review by Alejandro Daniel C.
Alejandro Daniel C.

"Fusion 360, the circle of the CAD"

What do you like best?

* It's the perfect environment to create 3D models. It's very friendly with all the tools that you have to make powerful renders.

* The features to make inserts, hinges, gears, extrudes, etc. are very simple to use and have a perfect match between them.

* You have all the tools and a lot of shortcuts juts with a few touches of your mouse or keyboard.

* The transition of the different camera angles and the views of Fusion 360 are very smooth, even if your computer is not the best.

* Even the representation of complex parts is very fast, having the best machine or not having it.

What do you dislike?

* At the moment you have to import your old STL files that you had created with other CAD software, Fusion 360 imports the piece with many triangles and makes it very difficult to work on it. Sometimes, it's easier to start over with this directly in Fusion 360 and forget about the old.

* All the files that you create are save in the Cloud, and you have to "download" every time that you want to use it. It's a very good idea when you have an internet connection, but when you do not have it, like in a plane flight for example, you can not work on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

You don't have to be afraid to switch to Fusion 360 from other CAD software. It's very simple to lear to use and very intuitive tools.

In my organization, Fusion 360 is used to design our 3D prototypes for make 3D printings and test the products before the final version. I am working in the electronic development department, but we collaborate a lot with the design department because all the electronics have to fit in the prototype perfectly. We make the stuff at the same time all together.

Fusion 360 review by Mark T.
Mark T.

"Easy, complete very professional... and free!"

What do you like best?

The business model is unique: Free for startups and hobbyists... no time limit. After that it's reasonably priced.

CAD/CAM is beautifully integrated in one package.

Don't need to worry about upgrades and backup solutions. It's cloud based and everything just works.

What do you dislike?

3D rendering is not great. If we really needed this functionality we would have to look elsewhere or perhaps a plugin/integration partner.

Until recently the functionality of the drawing module (output of 2d drawing for printing purpose or dxf) was very basic and inadequate. This has been addressed in recent updates and is now quite good and very useful.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Give it a try. It beats everything else we have compared it to.

We are a startup and this type of functionality would be completely impossible for us to obtain with the traditional expensive solutions.

Going from CAD to CAM is an absolute breeze. Keeping track of versions works well and takes the manual error prone old school methods out of the equation.

Fusion 360 review by Tony A.
Tony A.

"Huge level for us"

What do you like best?

I started out using a student version of Inventor for doing CAD. When I was no longer a student, there was no way I could afford a copy of Inventor for my own personal use. Fusion 360 came out around then and I started using it. It was a little rough in the early days, but it's grown into an absolutely wonderful product. Being able to to have an idea, draw it up in an hour or two in Fusion 360, and tossing it over to the 3D printer... it's amazing to be able to go from idea-to-usable-part in the span of a few hours. It's dramatically reduced my prototype iteration time!

What do you dislike?

The software operates on a relatively brisk release cycle. Occasionally a version gets shipped with a bug, and then that bug disappears a week or two later.

Rapid prototyping! The flow from design to STL to having a printed model is super super easy.

Fusion 360 review by Tommy R.
Tommy R.

"Fusion 360 only one issue that is trying to keep up with all new fetchers."

What do you like best?

-Cloud based software.

-One software does it all.

-Always being updated.

- Issues seem to be addressed quickly.

-Strong Forum backing

What do you dislike?

-No radius in the rapid links Like Powermill has.

-As far as I can figure out Fusion doesn't have the ability to be driven by macros to automate programming like Powermill

-There is no boundary automation as in Powermill

If these three things were addressed I know of another company that would switch over to Fusion 360.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fusion 360 the best all around software. Solidworks and Mastercam might want to start taking notes.

-Designing and Cam all in one software

-Remote access to my files when I'm at a customers place.

-Model updates also updates Cam

Fusion 360 review by Will G.
Will G.

"Excellent Value, With A Few Drawbacks"

What do you like best?

I like that Fusion 360 runs smoothly on Windows and in a Mac environment too. The cloud-based syncing is really great for sharing, collaborating or keeping your data easily accessible. The interface is well-designed with a very user-friendly learning curve. Fusion 360 is packed with features and is constantly improving. The pricing is great and the rate of development is amazing.

What do you dislike?

While there's lots to love, a few stand-out issues really drive me nuts. The tools seem to lack depth. When I want to start really controlling small details of my design, that's when it gets frustrating. Whether it's control over how fillets behave, surfaces blend or features extrude, there simply aren't enough options to satisfy an ex-Solidworks user. Yes, I'm fully on-board with Fusion 360, but sometimes I actually have to compromise on my designs because there is a lack of feature depth. Of course, there may be a way to accomplish what I've failed to achieve, but if that's the case, it's far from intuitive.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Don't hesitate. It's a great tool. However, if advanced surfacing is your priority or you have an unlimited budget, look elsewhere.

I use Fusion 360 to make models for rendering and animation. It's a program I can reliably open quickly, make a model and get to the rendering. I like that it's quick and affordable. Without Fusion 360, I'd have to rely on another 3D application for rendering, which is fine, but over the past couple of years, I've gotten very used to using Fusion 360.

Fusion 360 review by Phillip S.
Phillip S.

"Looks promising but lacks critical features"

What do you like best?

Generally good modelling tools. Free for hobby and education. Cam and simulation tools. not to hard to learn comming from other modeling tools.

What do you dislike?

In a sketch you can not snap to two things at once. ie I cant snap to an intersection between two lines. This is crazy and limiting. I often want to extend a line (by hovering over it) and snap to where it intersects another line (possibly also extended)

Creating drawings is very very limited to the extent of being useless for engineering applications. its not possible to exactly rotate and orient lines to the page coordinate system. not possible to dimension paralleled to the page coordinate system. there is no drawing tools so I cant draw lines to show how something lines up, or explain something to the manufacturer. You can not edit any lines drawn from the 3d model.

Recommendations to others considering the product

wait until features mentioned are implimented

free for hobbist

Fusion 360 review by Andrew M.
Andrew M.

"Somehow this old dog learned new tricks"

What do you like best?

Several major things work really well for me. Designing automation the integration of McMaster Carr's catalogue is game changing , as well I can quickly export directly to my 3D slicer and run a prototype in minutes. And for fun the CAM features allow me to post process to my cnc machines although takes a little longer.

What do you dislike?

Being a long time AutoCAD user I find someoff the things I can do in AutoCAD 3D are far more intuitive than Fusion. And weird little things like trying to copy paste an object or 3DALIGN one componenet to another is poorly coded.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recomend you stick with it, it took me sometime and poarts still frustrate me but there are great online free resources for training, especially youtube. I think this is incredibly valuable software to learn if you are at all involved in product design.

I am creating one off automation projects. Benefits are simulation and integration into various manufacturing tools, so speed of process. And lately I have been working in more organic shapes, the ability to work in a sculpt enviroment and move to an more rigid model enviroment is a game changer.

Fusion 360 review by User

"Excellent program, Modest System Requirements, Cloud Sync for File sharing & Rev mgmt is great!"

What do you like best?

Modest system requirements, cloud data management is great and I love being able to run this from multiple computers. I collaborate with others not located in the same area as me and that works very well, I can't imagine trying to manage file revisions etc when working with others. I have enjoyed occasional use of the smartphone app for viewing and rotating models to give quick feedback. Amazing that can run on a modest smartphone (Galaxy S6) so well. That's a good testament to how efficient the viewer is! With the high number of users most questions you run into have been explained well online.

What do you dislike?

Nothing major, some features hard to find in the menus.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great program to try, great for hobbyists, Startups and small companies. Requires more moderate PC hardware than other programs and it runs smoothly. I haven't use CAM or FEA functions and I haven't tested functionality with larger organization so I can't speak to that.

New Product Design, Creation of Instructions

Fusion 360 review by Nathan M.
Nathan M.

"Fantastic piece of software"

What do you like best?

I've been using Fusion 360 as my main 3d design software for almost 2 years and have still not found any faults with it. It is very intuitive, easy to use and makes designing very quick and enjoyable. I have never used a 3d modelling software as good as this before, its fantastic.

What do you dislike?

I dislike the fact that you cannot open an stl file to measure or review you have to use a different software from elsewhere for that.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Use it, you wont regret it, the software is fantastic and easy to use.

My personal benefits are, creating 3d designs faster, taking the 3d model and projecting it in orthographic views, getting my product completed faster, etc.

Fusion 360 review by Jonathan B.
Jonathan B.

"Excellent design and manufacturing environment!"

What do you like best?

Integrated CAD/CAM. We are a CNC machine shop which has used other big name CAM softwares and who also had a Solidworks license. After trying Fusion we are very satisfied. The integrated CAD/CAM is very useful for improving efficiency and has improved the quality of our machined parts by allowing us to tailor a customers CAD model before machining without having to switch software.

What do you dislike?

I wish the file management were slightly different. I do like having cloud access to our files, however I wished it stored everything locally and synced to the cloud, like DropBox, as opposed to their implementation which stores on the cloud and caches locally for a fixed amount of time. I know they do this for collaboration purposes, however I would still prefer a "DropBox" style approach.

I also wish they supported 2 and 4 axis wire EDM. This is the only thing I have not switched over to Fusion from our old CAM system (running a perpetual expired license just to keep wire EDM). I can hack this to work by using the 2D cutting tools like plasma/waterjet/laser then merge two 2D programs to create a 4 axis wire profile, but I am holding onto hope they may eventually implement wire EDM before I go through that effort.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Just try it, it's free to try.

Fusion has helped us dramatically increase our CNC machining efficiency. The CAM environment is very easy to use and offers many high end features which we used to have to pay extra for with our prior CAM vendor. The quality of parts coming off our machines has also improved due to the more efficient programming strategies as well as the integrated CAD environment, which our prior CAM vendor did not implement very well.

Fusion 360 review by Gerald H.
Gerald H.

"Collaboration and multiplatform use is excellent"

What do you like best?

The ability to easily view and model using multiple platforms has been so valuable compared to modeling software with a substantial installation. I have only used the collaboration tools a few times, but that has already made modeling with a lot of stakeholders much easier than other modeling software,

What do you dislike?

The online help is spotty for resolving an issue. The tool typically directs me to community instead of formal help tools. My preference is formal tool then community for support.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fusion 360 is worth considering. The Easter Egg hunt of finding the tools and different modeling workflow was a short learning curve that the online help system made helped adequately enough.

I needed a tool to model a part as a base for my manufacturer to optimize my design for manufacturing. The manufacturer uses a competitor modeling software so the sharing was batched not real time so not ideal, but good enough.

Fusion 360 review by Administrator

"Great price point for the functionalitly"

What do you like best?

We are SolidWorks users that needed an affordable CAM package so that is what got us into Fusion 360 about 2 years ago. We now use Fusion about 50% of the time compared to SolidWorks. The software is constantly evolving and it is almost always for the best. There is a huge network of users and it is easy software to use personally as well due to the price point and the fact that it is free to hobbyists and students. The cloud features are convenient for sharing libraries and being able to work on projects from any work station without having to carry the files around. It also will now open native SolidWorks files so we no longer have to convert to a generic file format. The price point for the functionality you get in Fusion 360 can not be beat right now.

What do you dislike?

What I don't like is that every now and then a update will hit that will have a bug and at times that has impacted our production. We also do some ITAR work, so due to the cloud based nature of the software, we can not do everything in Fusion. It does not have as many features for creating and maintaining drawings. It is not as easy to create and manage assemblies as in SolidWorks, but in all fairness, it take a different approach using bodies and components instead of components and assemblies like SW.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Try it. It is too easy and affordable to not try it.

Fusion is our CAM work horse. It has be able to do everything we have needed so far.

Fusion 360 review by Robert J.
Robert J.

"I had no idea what i was doing - with Fusion 360 it didn't matter"

What do you like best?

I had no experience in 3d modeling but fusion 360 was completely intuitive and if I couldn't figure something out all I had to do was search for it and there was my answer.

As our product evolved it was easy to make small design tweaks back in the timeline and have new parts very quickly.

What do you dislike?

Would like to be able to set the size of some of the system fonts

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fusion 360 is a great product from beginner to expert.

We were not able to complete the project with our free software.

We went from a concept to working models of a new medical device very quickly.after switching to Fusion 360

Was able to get from the concept/idea stage to working prototypes very quickly and that was with no experience.

Fusion 360 review by Kenny W.
Kenny W.

"Ease of use and flexibility "

What do you like best?

The CAD and CAM work very well together making it excellent for R&D along with minor CAD changes not requiring a new CAM program.The CAM is very intuitive and easy to use compared with the archaic Mastercam and other trival software aspire and sprut cam

What do you dislike?

Some of the CAD features are not as strong as other programs such as Solidworks. Please add a convert entities tool. For the CAM side it is wonderful and easy to use although it has problems with certain operations not allowing you to program parts exactly as you wish.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It wonderful for R & D but you wont get the same engineering benifits as solidworks and you can be quite as specific in tha CAM in comparison to MasterCAM

R & D , easy file sharing, quickturn around on modified parts.

Fusion 360 review by Oral T.
Oral T.

"Best free professional CAD on the market: Fusion 360"

What do you like best?

It's a parametric CAD program. You could have the chance to modify 3d models after finishing the job. This feature eliminates redesigning of the projects again and again.

You could reach most used design tools easily via right mouse click which opens a tool widget.

Fusion 360 is a comprehensive CAD software which has a clean and understandable user interface.

What do you dislike?

Fusion 360 has a cloud platform. That's good. But if you have a slow and unsteady internet connection then you could be encounter lagging and unnecessary waiting times in Fusion 360.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I recommend that it is better to use it on the off-line mode. Thus you could avoid lagging in Fusion 360.

I designed a lot of 3d models which were needed by my customers. It is a great solid modelling tool for 3d printing.

Fusion 360 review by Matthew P.
Matthew P.

"A real contender to the heavyweight CAM market"

What do you like best?

Price point for the power! Keeps my overhead low while allowing me to do the same thing a $5k competitors software does.

What do you dislike?

It's hard to find something i don't really like about it. I will say i use this software strictly for CAM but have been able to learn enough between several of the work spaces to be productive in all aspects of how i use it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Do it! For the price point and power its a no brainer.

low overhead gives me the ability to quote low and gain new clients.

Fusion 360 review by Matthew F.
Matthew F.

"It's great, but lacks a basic feature that has been asked for by many users, yet ignored for years."

What do you like best?

Ease of use. It's fairly easy for any new user to jump in and know how to use things.

What do you dislike?

Lack of the ability to flip the direction in the chamfer tool when using distance and angle. This is a basic feature in other CAD programs that has been asked for by many users for years. See here: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-ideastation/being-able-to-switch-distance-direction-in-the-chamfer-tool/idi-p/5848695#comments

I am using Fusion 360 for startup and personal use, and use it to design parts to 3D print on my own 3D printer.

Fusion 360 review by Christopher A.
Christopher A.

"Fantastic software for designing product prototypes"

What do you like best?

Like other CAD software, the mathematical precision of the operations one can perform within the software is absolutely invaluable. Add onto that the ability to create animated rigs for simple machines with an incredibly intuitive animation kit, and product demonstrations can be easily made. The shading and material library is fantastic as well, and objects can be shaded with a simple drag and drop operation. A prototype product can be designed, animated, and shaded all within the course of a few hours, rather than tens of hours.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, the animation tools can be a tiny bit confusing when setting the direction of object motion, for instance, when creating a piston system, sometimes it can be rather easy to make the animation occur in the direction opposite to what is desired, but this is just a minor gripe to a comparatively fantastic CAD software.

Recommendations to others considering the product

This software is incredibly easy to pick up, and if you have a background in CAD or know the general 3D Design terminology, then you will find this software to have a relatively low learning curve, meaning it's easy to pick up.

Whenever an idea for a product is considered, Fusion 360 is usually my go-to software to create and animate the aforementioned product, as a cost effective means for creating a rudimentary simulation of that particular product and what it would achieve.

"Amazing product"

What do you like best?

I love Fusion 360 – ever since I was a beta tester in 2013. It has been a pleasure to see how well your team has evolved this product to the point where companies like mine can significantly increase our productivity. It has been great for working with subcontracted engineers who still use solidworks (for whatever reason) – your team’s approach to direct modelling makes interoperability an issue of the past.

What do you dislike?

Limited ability to take ownership of models created by employees.

To support our company's growth, we require, scalable, flexible, cost effective software tools which are focused on innovation and value rather than squeezing maximum revenue from dated software. Fusion has so far exceed our requirements for mCAD.

Fusion 360 review by User in Aviation & Aerospace
User in Aviation & Aerospace

"Great value for the price"

What do you like best?

I like the integration of CAD and CAM and Simulation all in one package. Being able to switch back and forth between those 3 in the design process has been a huge time saver. I'm not sure how this works but the program allows for offline design work. I have a Microsoft surface and do most of the CAD and CAM work offline and everything loads just fine.

What do you dislike?

CAM and CAD still feel a little like a beta release at times. Some of the functionality is buggy and will perform differently at different times. One other example is that the mouse hover help feature when establishing a tool path. When trying to understand more about what a feature does, they will have a pop box to explain it. This is really helpful for some. Others have a half filled in help box with a missing image or text. Program will unexpectedly close or not open the first time you try clicking on it.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Great value for the price. Can work well without needing a CAD computer set up. CAM and CAD can feel clunky at times. Sketch tools are a little confusing at first and it can be hard to tell where constraints are.

Designing something that needs to be machined and creating those tool paths has been overall a good experience with Fusion 360.

Fusion 360 review by Dave K.
Dave K.

"Best step forward in years"

What do you like best?

I love the CAM function. I've been using Vectric previously and while it is a great programme it didn't have the functionality I was looking for and when I came across Fusion 360 it did exactly what I required without the cumbersome and time consuming work around.

What do you dislike?

I'd really like the ability to customise your mouse and keyboard shortcuts.

Recommendations to others considering the product

I'd say go for it. I'm a novice with CAM and I managed to get my head around it fairly quickly and still managed to stay sane.

I needed the ability to cut past the base of the part to avoid tool changes. This has allowed me to reduce the production tome by nearly 80%

Fusion 360 review by User in Industrial Automation
User in Industrial Automation

"The best software I've found that allows me to design and manufacture in the same program."

What do you like best?

Fusion is an all inclusive platform that will allow the design of all the types of assemblies I do and it allows me to take each part all the way through the machining process. I really enjoy that it is cloud based so I can work in my office then go home and decide i want to try something or look at something and I can hop on my home computer and all my designs are there. And it does not require the powerhouse computer that solidworks does.

What do you dislike?

Updates without permission and sometime looses all my preferences and I have to reset up my post processors. Would like better support for post processing as well. The no local support or hard to find corporate support is also a little annoying. I would really like to be able to create sketches in the cam workspace to use for machining.

Recommendations to others considering the product

give it a shot it might work differently than your used to but it works well.

Its one software that I can use for everything but the electrical design.

Fusion 360 review by User in Design
User in Design

"Fusion 360 - CAD for the Beginner to the Pro"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 incorporates easy-to use CAD tools, incredible rendering capabilities, CAM software, and even sheet metal fabrication tools. The state-of-the-art software not only features parametric modelling, but also features advanced surfacing and free-form modeling capabilities. It is easy to use and cloud-based, so files can stay put when you are working on different computers.

What do you dislike?

It does lack certain features which make working on other file types a little bit of a pain, but with the amount of updates and additions the Fusion team adds in a timely manner, more features are being added to help with this.

Recommendations to others considering the product

If price is a concern and you need great CAD and surface modeling tools, then Fusion 360 is for you.

Fusion 360 allows me to download and analyze customer models so that I can consult with them on their projects.

Fusion 360 review by Luciana M.
Luciana M.

"Fusion 360, the easiest 3D modeling app you can find!"

What do you like best?

It's amazing how CAD programs just keep getting harder to use. Except for this one. With Fusion, everything is smooth and easy to do. All features are well explained and really intuitive.

What do you dislike?

Some of the views features don't work as good as they could work.

Recommendations to others considering the product

It's one of the easiest and fullest CAD program you'll find on the market, if you are doubting, give it a try!

We could finally use a CAD program that didn't need hours and hours of preparation before starting to design. You just sit there with Fusion 360 and start creating.

Fusion 360 review by Robert G.
Robert G.

"Fusion 360 is our number one CAD !"

What do you like best?

Fusion is the best quality price CAD software out there for modelling 3d printing part. At Lezar3D, I use it on a regular base. It's easy to use and possible to edit .stl file and get plug in for extra fonction. We will recommend to any one starting to a new software related to 3D printing. Other software like Netfabb and Meshmixer are great complement with it.

What do you dislike?

If you let the software to do other thing and come back, it happen to bug sometimes, so be sure to save when you quite for a break.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Related to 3D printing

We use it for modelling our 3D models.

Fusion 360 review by Hector R.
Hector R.

"Good Tool for Concepting"

What do you like best?

Fusion 360 has a really easy to use interface without too many bells and whistles to confused a newcomer. It's also free to use (depending on criteria) and has the ability to send the files for 3D printing. Since the program is cloud based, it is easy to switch computers and start off where you left off on a previous device. Fusion 360 also has a way to record the steps taken to build an object so if modification needs to be made on one part, it will change it, while keeping the other steps that might have been done before.

What do you dislike?

There is no easy way to export or convert the CAD objects into an obj file if one needs to take it into a creative 3D program.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Make sure to have a pretty descent machine.

It's a great way to create hard surface models with a nice enough render for a presentation.

Fusion 360 review by User in Higher Education

"THE Tool for 3D Print Projects"

What do you like best?

I love the simplicity of the layout and that Fusion 360 is yet very powerful, and can be complicated. With power comes complexity is many cases of course. You can design your 3D project / image(s) and then export it as an .obj or .stl file and it is ready for opening in your slicer - be it Simplify3D or Cura or any other application. Then export to .gcode and print your 3D image. The community of users is large enough that it is easy to find help if you are new to 3D applications.

What do you dislike?

I can only think of one item that I dislike and that is the lack of intuitiveness - but at the same time, I think that is to be expected in a 3D application.

Recommendations to others considering the product

When you delve into using Fusion 360, do not be discouraged as it is very different compared to most applications - yet very similar to other 3D or CAD applications. Go into using it with some time on your hands that you can put toward exploring and looking up videos or other types of tutorials. They are out there. Just don't expect it to become simple over-night

I oversee the 3D printing that students need to do for class assignments and I also help them with personal items they produce. Often this has been useful to developing prototype images for planning.

Fusion 360 review by User

"Still adjusting, but worth it for the cloud-based system"

What do you like best?

Fusion is great for simple builds. I love the cloud system that allows me to be able to access one license from anywhere, as well as the files. Makes so much sense.

What do you dislike?

Fusion can have trouble with complex builds (freezes and closes). I also don't care for the interface and usability compared to Solidworks.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fusion is great, and the industry is definitely starting to use it more and more. It's a great way to learn CAD and decide if you want to invest in Solidworks, or stick with Fusion.

I use fusion to build my designs to send out to factories to have produced. There are lots of features that help make it manufacturable, and I also like that someone else on my team can pick up where I left off. I also like that it has surfacing- kind of like solidworks and alias combined.

Fusion 360 review by User

"Fusion 360 for product development"

What do you like best?

It's very powerful, and intuitive. I love how well I can manage my files using the cloud. The versioning is amazing.

What do you dislike?

Sharing files with team members isn't always the best. Especially team members who don't have a fusion 360 subscription. Right now I can not figure out a way to make my data decentralized. Right now i have to share all my projects with several team members in case something happens to one of us. Ontop of that my boss who doesn't use Fusion can not access any of my work without me sending him a public link to the file.

Recommendations to others considering the product

More options to share your Data with a team.

I work in product development for a furniture company, mostly office focused products. We have used Fusion to help design desks, chairs, lighting, room dividers, couches, coffee tables and many other items.

Fusion 360 review by Kenny C.
Kenny C.

"Strong Modeler, Light on Industrial Tools"

Recommendations to others considering the product

Fusion 360 review by todd s.
todd s.

"great cad package with more features for less money !!!!!"

What do you like best?

I love the timeline at the bottom for scrubbing through various stages of the design. Very easy to edit cad files in a nonlinear format. Also, love innovative features like the sheet metal add-on and the new and improved hole wizard

What do you dislike?

I wish they had a more robust selection of pre-made fasteners and basic parts used most commonly in part design and manufacturing. Would be nice to not have to always be creating screws etc.

Recommendations to others considering the product

Anyone looking to do simple to advance CAD will love fusion. I have heard there are model limitations but I have not hit them.

Allows us to quickly build and test CAD parts and even allows for the easy pipeline to 3d printing.

Fusion 360 review by Salaimanimagudam M.
Salaimanimagudam M.

"Really it's fusion platform"

What do you like best?

Rendering

Especially cloud rendering supperb

What do you dislike?

The same rendering sometime it's not working properly with textures and shadow

Recommendations to others considering the product

Yeah it's your right choice 😉 if u have plenty of magination

Really I think fusion for mechanical related software but it's working good with concrete too because I experience the topology optimization of the concrete beam

It's rocking

Learn more about Fusion 360

Fusion 360 Videos

Learning about Fusion 360?

* We monitor all Fusion 360 reviews to prevent fraudulent reviews and keep review quality high. We do not post reviews by company employees or direct competitors. Validated reviews require the user to submit a screenshot of the product containing their user ID, in order to verify a user is an actual user of the product.