Epic Reviews & Product Details

Registered Nurse
What do you like best?

What I find to be the most useful feature in EPIC is the ability to see all notes from many different facilities in one place. It makes doing chart reviews much more seamless and it enables us to provide better care for our patients since we're being given the most information possible. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

So many clicks. It seems like every task you want to complete in EPIC takes at least 5 clicks. I understand the importance of the function of each click but it does seem like there could be a way to streamline it to be a bit quicker and less cumbersome. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It allows us to provide care while keeping continuity of care in mind. We can be much more thorough and refer to specialist notes or notes from people who are not in our office to gain more information about our patient. We can also use it to consult with outside specialists quickly, easily, and directly - something we were not able to do so easily without EPIC. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Epic Overview

What is Epic?

Founded in a basement in 1979, Epic develops software to help people get well, help people stay well, and help future generations be healthier.

Epic Details
Discussions
Epic Community

Epic Systems Corporation
1979
Verona, WI
10,674 employees on LinkedIn®

Answer a few questions to help the Epic community
Have you used Epic before?

Epic Reviews

Showing 863 Epic reviews
Already have Epic?
Senior Software Engineer
What do you like best?

I like how user-friendly Epic is! It looks like a paper directory and on the page I like most of the header possibilities. It is very convenient to do this if I have to seek a biopsy results. I like Epic too... it's friendly to MAC or PC. Since the majority of people initiated working in an office, I realized which Epic is really sociable from household. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't even like something which, because there's a more room to be opened on the page, I could only activate four patient charts at once. At least 5, I'd say, but 6 would probably be a good lot. This is frustrating because you'll have to shut down 4 patient pages before introducing a small chart when opening. Also, it takes awhile to access chapters on the Epic channel, and I wish this could go a bit quicker. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I'd suggest Epic for EMR rather than Powerchart, but stay in touch that only four patient charts may be opened at a moment. And it works brilliantly apart from this! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problems with Epic which I solve are so convenient from parent's house to use. Sometimes applications that you mostly use on a working PC don't exchange very well parent's house, and yet Epic has become so user friendly! It's a big advantage. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Assistant Engineer
What do you like best?

Epic definitely helps you to set your digital map, history and screenshot. All medical, psychological and economic information can be accessed between a single curriculum. You would have the inferences of anyone in it, be it a clinician, therapist or other provider. It could motivate a patient to coordinate care. You do have power to establish templates for your accounting company preferably. It requires less time to change the instructions more time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really don't like that, I could only have access to four health information at quite a percentage, I would like teachers to open ever more capabilities mostly on camera. I would say, at least 5, but perhaps 6 would be a considerable bit. That's also annoying, because you ask that 4 patient sheets be removed before opening a further tab after you have opened. It takes time to create/close pages and within Epic platform, too, that I want this to go much more quickly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very comprehensive for checking patient information. Some initial enrollment and control training is useful. It is often helpful that the interface can be changed. I like with the time you look at various results in various apps / sectors. Then you'll see the labs, and then you can choose the labs. This could also be achieved with the results of the analysis, however, which provides a better overview of the experimentation, dates and results done. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Epic conducts fast pharmaceutical order control with supportive advertisements and simultaneously shows every detail you need (almost always). Epic also allows me to monitor patient problems and leave my colleagues with messages. We previously had a further messenger feature that helps increase interoperability with other services. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

General Internal Medicine Fellow
What do you like best?

The omni search capability to search for any medication, lab, imaging test, or consultation/referral service is the best part of Epic. This makes it easy to just order what you want without having to remember where a specific order is to be found. The new Storyboard feature on the side has an immense amount of information that is readily accessible, which is helpful. CareEverywhere functionality allows me to see a patient's medical records from outside my health system's network, as long as Epic is used. Also being able to search for anything related to the patient is very helpful. I can search for "colonoscopy" and it will bring up notes, encounters, medications, etc related to that keyword search and I can easily document the result into my notes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is still somewhat clunky to use while caring for a patient in the clinic setting. The updated interface is nice but it still seems inefficient and does not reflect how patient care actually is delivered. Billing is still not easy but better than in previous iterations. The tabs are customizable but sometimes it's too customizable and I want more simplicity (think if Apple designed an EHR). Also sometimes it seems slow to load and it slows me down during patient care. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Centralized electronic medical record-keeping so I can easily search for and see all the patient's notes and results from any provider/encounter. It has been helpful to be able to search easily for anything related to medical care for a patient. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Case Manager
What do you like best?

Epic definitely allows you to customize your view of the patient's chart, history, snapshot, etc... You are able to see medical, mental health and financial information all from one program. As a nurse, doctor or other healthcare provider you can see the notes put in by anyone. This can help with coordinating a patient's care. You also have the option to setup formats in a way your billing provider prefers. This reduces the amount of time it takes to retype instructions each time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is difficult to learn and navigate at first. It is not an easy system to figure out without quite a bit of instruction first. You definitely need an IT ready to assist with troubleshooting and setting someone up in the beginning. Make sure you are prepared with exactly what you want. You need to ensure you can tell Epic what formats you want, what you would like the templates to look like and then decide whether or not you want the templates the same for all workers in the same category. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is easier to navigate all aspects of a patient's chart. It is nice to be able to have a different template for each healthcare worker. I cannot comment on the financial aspects of this as I am not involved in that process. I do see the benefit to having a system the whole organization has access to. I would like to see it be a little more user friendly in the future. I would hope this would be one of their goals. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CSR II
What do you like best?

I like how everything can be documented in EPIC; from phone calls, to interactions with patients, etc. All of it is accessible under encounter or notes. So anyone in your facility who has access to EPIC will be able to see all the notes in the chart. This is helpful when you run a large company and not everyone is in the same office space or even building, but it keeps everyone informed on what is going on with this particular patient. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

That there is no where to document patient interactions that are not part of their medical records history. Sometimes staff needs to be able to communicate issues with a patient without it being a part of their medical records file. Also, reports can be vague when you run them. It's not easy or a very good use of time to pull reports for specific tasks, such as how many people were scheduled by a particular staff member etc. You have to go in and manually click on each chart that employee accessed to determine further details. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Its great for large hospital or healthcare facilities, provides access to communication throughout the company and takes away the need for multiple programs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

You can pull reports on staff, what they did in EPIC, how many charts they were in and why. I think that's a great feature. Helps hold everyone accountable. You can send messages via EPIC so it takes away the extra need for e-mail software as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Epic is very comprehensive in that it has so many options and different categories to view charts and history and information of patients. The program’s design allows for a lot of detail to be held in the charts. The sections are categorized well and the software itself is easy to click through all the categories. Scheduling and note writing is simple and thorough! Also, the backgrounds on the log in page change every time you log on and they are very nice pictures to look at!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It was challenging to learn how to use in the beginning, but after training and using for a month you get the hang of it and it is pretty simple. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

When learning the software, they have great tips and walkthroughs in their help options that are very useful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I’m able to have better communication on my interdisciplinary team as I can view their records easily with great detail, and they view mine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Departamento de Control - Industrial projects
What do you like best?

.Epic certainly helps you to configure your map view, history, screenshot. Users can see all of the medical, mental and financial information between one curriculum. Whether a nurse, psychiatrist or other service professional you will have anybody's observations embedded in it. It might encourage in coordinating care for a patient. You will have the right to set up templates ideally for your billing company. This takes less time to retype instructions increasing time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't really like that I might access just 4 health records at a rate, I wish teachers 'd let me open up more and there's more capacity on the screen. At least 5 I 'd say, but possibly 6'd be a decent amount. This is irritating because after you open 4 patient sheets, it asks you to remove them before opening another tab. Also, everything always takes awhile to create / close pages within the Epic platform I would want the above went way faster. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Very extensive for reviewing information about patients. Some training to initial registration and flight control is helpful. Often beneficial is being able to change the interface. I like the way you see different results from different tabs / areas. And you'll see the laboratories, then you can select laboratories. This can also be obtained from the findings analysis, though, which offers you a closer insight at the completed experiments, dates and outcomes. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Epic performs quick pharmaceutical order monitoring research with supportive warnings and all the details you require (most often) is shown simultaneously. Epic also lets me monitor patient problems pending and leave messages to my colleagues. We recently had an additional messenger functionality that helps boost connectivity with other providers Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Psychotherapist- Clara's House
What do you like best?

I like how it inserts information from areas that have already been completed which saves a lot of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like that there aren't as many drop down options in certain areas of the programs. This would help save time, especially within the medical world where there is a lot of documentation that is required. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would make support staff more readily available to troubleshoot problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problems I am solving are how to make a product even more efficient within the mental health and medical fields. The benefits realized are that this program is really intuitive and saves quite a bit of time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IH
What do you like best?

EPIC in my opinion is one of the best full EMR offering on the market today, it provides a large range of options and is fully customizable. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Users have full control of the software. This makes it almost impossible to have enterprise report since users make copies and save as private. When we need changes and users have private reports they will not see them and call in issues as the system is broken. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Epic is an expensive but a very good investment Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Patient care is the top priority. This makes access to your own record a breeze. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Project Manager
What do you like best?

EPIC is much superior than all other EHR device that I have come across. Whereas some still tend to sound cumbersome and clunky, Awesome intuitively streamlines practical devices. I enjoy flow maps, and depend on the resuc copilot through codes on a daily basis. More critically, new changes focused on customer reviews are easy to understand, and continuously deliver. I just need to use any program again because I have used EPIC. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't like too much needing to go on various windows. So I don't like the choices I have to press when I have needless typos applied. Personally I react to all of that. They do have a lot of All that problems for users logging in. And occasionally admission will only sign in as a "inpatient" to an outpatient if they are still in the hospital, so if the mate is adolescent. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

They use this device as a patient information program in electronic form. It makes it too simple to connect inside the facility with services, departments and even the house workers. It makes it much simpler to handle the reporting part of our work, and we can concentrate more on patient treatment! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I like how easy Epic is to use! It really does look like a paper folder and I like all the tab options on the side. If I need to find a pathology report, it is very easy to do so. I also like that Epic is MAC or PC friendly. Since, most people have started working from home I've noticed that Epic is very work from home friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I really don't like that I can only open 4 patient charts at a time, I wish they would let me open more because there's more room on the page. I'd say at least 5, but probably 6 would be a good number. This is annoying because after opening 4 patient pages, it tells you that you have to close them before you open up another chart. Also, within the Epic platform, it takes a long time to open/close pages I wish this went a little faster. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend using Epic instead of Powerchart for EMR, but keep in kind that you are only allowed to open 4 patient charts at a time. But other than this, it works great! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The problems I'm solving with Epic are that is it so easy to use from home. Sometimes apps that you mainly use on a PC computer at work don't transfer over so well to be used from home, but Epic is so easy to use! This is a major benefit. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Able to see electronic medical records from multiple devices and across different hospitals Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It is hard to learn how to customize the different tabs and has a steep learning curve for new users. The medications screen is disorganized and hard to follow. I especially dislike the medications page because it's easy to lose track of a medication (if the dosage or frequency is changed, it shows up as a new line item). Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Taking care of patients with EMR Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to use, always upgrading to provide the best service possible Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes the upgrades can create a whole new flow on how to do things and that makes it hard Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This system is streamlined to be connected to multiple hospitals for easy connection and makes processing and monitoring claims easy. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Medical claims, insurance coverage, chart notes and account notes. By using the system for all this I am able to easily connect to people who have worked my accounts and I can keep patient information current and claims paid Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Registered Nurse
What do you like best?

Epic is easy to use and navigate. Lots of I formation in many different areas. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes provides too much information and makes it hard to find things. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It takes some time to adapt to finding where things are at. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

None Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

It’s very easy to learn and use. The flags at the top are often very helpful (for medication allergies, alerts, etc.) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is often more than one way to do something or to view certain information. Although this can be helpful at times, it is also confusing. Also, sometimes the home screen is overwhelming because there is so much to look at. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Medication alerts are helpful to decrease medication errors. Also, the scripted notes are extremely helpful in saving time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Resident Physician
Hospital & Health Care
What do you like best?

Fairly intuitive software with multiple ways to view results, documentation, and enter orders. Being able to pull old notes and visit diagnoses forward and amend is useful. I also like being able to create "favorites" for medications and orders. The search feature works well. I also appreciate that it is customizable and has features unique to specialty. Within ophthalmology, the exam features (previous vision, intraocular pressures, etc) are very helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There are many individual clicks and checkboxes to close a single encounter, which can be tedious when repeated dozens of times per day. There are some built-in shorcuts like "mark all as reviewed", but these function in only certain instances and could be modified to save time in other fashions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Fully mastering the software requires a great deal of time using the product. EPIC training courses can be helpful but are not extremely useful in navigating day-to-day tasks. These are best learned by having multiple patient scenarios and someone assist you in finding features that can execute these more efficiently. I am still learning new things to speed up workflow, so having someone routinely evaluate how to improve use would be helpful. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Allows better sharing of healthcare records, improving accuracy of coding & diagnosis. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The fact that we can access so many different hospitals and clinics through one system is completely amazing. We are even getting other physicians who are under our umbrella company to sign on with Epic as well. The system we are using now just does not compare to the competence of Epic so it was a no-brainer to make the change. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I do dislike that there are so many features, that it does take a substantial amount of training to learn everything. We had a team of IT featured users come in and walk us through everything. We needed them for a total of three sessions and still probably need them in the future for additional help with extra features that we may want to implement in the future. I also did not like that we had to undergo an untimely training process online where you had to view a number of training modules and take a test at the end. This was extremely time consuming when it came to work load and patient care in between. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be specific with your training courses. Pay attention, there will be a testing conclusion. Utilize the IT help when requested, for them to come in person because you will need them in the beginning. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Since I am healthcare based, we are so grateful that we now have one system to connect all three of our offices and the two hospitals that we are affiliated with all in one electronic record setting with ease. We were using Epic to connect through a children's hospital in one location and realized the ease and convenience of charting and having access to hospital records and being able to attach a patients notes or records throughout one main system. We will now incorporate Epic in our intermediate office as well. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Room Service Associate: Food and Nutrition
What do you like best?

I liked using Epic because of the customizable options that allow different medical professionals to filter information based on what they need to see and make it the default for every time they log in. It also allows for color differentiation which adds an extra safeguard to ensuring the individual is charting in their own account. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Not much to dislike, maybe some adjustment period as you learn the system, but once familiar, it is relatively user-friendly. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Tracking patient nutrition patterns, intake and output of liquids, communicating with nurses and dietitians about patients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

IH
What do you like best?

Intuitive interfaces both for end users and analyst Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

It can be tricky to balance customized content with Epic released - moving away from foundation system usually means missing out on enhancements for that feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Providing an EMR that promotes efficiency and patient safety. Part of a community of prestigious health systems who can inspire one another. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I'm a nurse coming from Cerner (which I thought was great). Upon getting hired at my new job, I learned they used epic for charting. This program is so easy to use and customize to your liking! Love the copy and paste feature! Saved so much time!!! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes it is hard to navigate between units on the program. There are a ton of features that can clutter your workspace. I wish I could split screen certain menu items. It would make my charting go faster and me diving into the chart much quicker when I need to cross reference multiple things at once. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Ease of use. Very used friendly. Can be customized to satisfy the user. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Certified Pharmacy Technician II
What do you like best?

Modern icons, helpful support, user friendly. In comparison to other softwares that appear significantly outdated, Epic does an excellent job at providing the options necessary for a consistently running, well operating hospital. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

While there is a lot of positives, there are no negatives I can elaborate on. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Although supposedly pricier, this software is a great for those who work in a hospital setting. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I work in an inpatient pharmacy, at a hospital exceeding 400 patients. The software is a necessity to communicate with other staff members, and to access patients information securely and effectively. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Once you get used to the screens Epic is quite easy to use. fast complete charting with very little free text needed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Orders are a bit cumbersome in that there are alot of lines to complete and you cant always find exactly what you need Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

After learning curve it really is the most customizable system Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Quick and complete EMR Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

II
What do you like best?

Able to to utilize this to input data for different patients. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes we would have script issues that affected patient care. We would have down time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Printing , health information issues, differ tabs having multiple issues. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Ease of use, flexibility to adapt to needs. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Costs associated initially but this is true with any start up. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It is a great EHR! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We can easily access patients receiving care from other doctors outside of our network to save time accessing results without having to call and request. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Laboratory Supervisor
Medical Practice
What do you like best?

I like that we are able to integrate the laboratory and clinic orders. I work in the laboratory, we can easily see tests ordered by our clinic physicians. It's easy to fix erroneous orders, and we can easily communicate within the LIS. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There is a lot to this software. We do not fully utilize the system, and I think even our IT department is not fully aware of all of the functionality. This sometimes makes it difficult to accomplish what we need. It is also difficult to get issues with the LIS fixed, as we have to wait for Epic to update the entire LIS before fixing and our updates come out at scheduled times. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I would recommend sending one or two people to all trainings offered by Epic. Get familiar with the product and it's functionality. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We use Epic for our LIS so we use it for everything associated with the lab. We enter orders, we write medical reports, we track our specimens, everything within this system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.