Dr. Explain Reviews & Product Details

Technical Writer
What do you like best?

Dr. Explain is a great, very intuitive software. It is easy to pick up how to use, configures layouts and gives a responsive design, so there is a very professional output, with little effort for the writer/designer.

The Dr. Explain's "call-out" feature is great for user manuals describing specific features of hardware, SaaS, interfaces...etc. and the software does most of the heavy-lifting with a user-friendly layout.

I also had excellent experiences with all of Dr. Explain's customer support to help troubleshoot any issues, as well as help me accomplish any layout/design of my online help and user manuals that was not intuitive/provided out-of-the-box. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Being the only technical writer at the company, it was not an issue that Dr. Explain was an install-on-one-desktop software. The files were a little cumbersome, and I had to rely heavily on development resources to publish these files onto the company's online help system (linked up to their SaaS platform).

As with any other installed software, the files had to remain extremely organized, from saved versions, to passing along to developers, and updating other versions. Also, like with any other installed software, there were some difficulties with transferring the files from my machine to another employee's when I left that company.

When working with a team of writers to update the same content, or for the sake of easier file management, I prefer a cloud-based content management system. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I did a lot of research on online help software before recommending Dr. Explain to my company and I definitely think that Dr. Explain is top notch, easy-to-use online-help software that provides extremely professional output with very little effort.

That said, I think prospects should consider their company's needs. This software worked very well for me in the setting of a very small company, and as the company's only writer. I was the only one who needed to update content or had ownership over managing the files. If there are additional writers responsible for the content, I would recommend considering a cloud-based application that can be accessed and updated in real-time by all contributors. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I was tasked with implementing an online help system for a company, which was very quickly created and integrated by developers into the company's SaaS platform.

Additionally, with Dr. Explain's easy and pre-formatted export feature, I was able to provide PDF-ed content to prospects, internal staff, and end-users who wanted more comprehensive documentation around a feature. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Dr. Explain Overview

What is Dr. Explain?

Dr.Explain is a help authoring software to create help files, documentation and on-line manuals in CHM, PDF, DOC & HTML formats. Uniquely Dr.Explain captures application screens or web pages and documents them automatically! Dr.Explain is based on a unique interface analysis and screen capture system. Thanks to this system, Dr.Explain can automatically analyze an application’s user interface, take screenshots of all controls and elements, and then add explanatory callouts to all images in the draft help system. After that, all one needs to do is add descriptions to the callouts, and save the result in the HTML, CHM, DOC, or PDF format.

Dr. Explain Details
German, English, French, Italian, Dutch, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish

Dr.Explain is a help authoring software to create help files, documentation and on-line manuals in CHM, PDF, RTF & HTML formats

Indigo Byte Systems
2004
N/A

Dr. Explain Screenshots

Answer a few questions to help the Dr. Explain community
Have you used Dr. Explain before?

Dr. Explain Reviews

Showing 26 Dr. Explain reviews
Already have Dr. Explain?
What do you like best?

We had a CHM file from an obsolete system, and Dr Explain was the best app we could find to import that and turn it into an editable format.

Copying and pasting content from various other sources is easy, so we can publish an article in our internal newsletter, and also include the same content in our Help file without having to muck about with a lot of reformatting.

And the most recent version 6 has really made screen capture a breeze, the easiest I've seen in any product. That feature alone makes Dr Explain worthwhile. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The latest free version really trashes the images with watermarks, making them almost unreadable.

I use Context IDs to link the pages in the CHM to specific windows and menus in the app, and it took a while to find out how to turn these on in Dr Explain. That wasn't very intuitive, and the online information I found about it didn't seem to be up to date with the latest release. Once they were turned on it was fine. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

If you're starting from scratch it's a no-brainer, Dr Explain will work well.

If you're converting from another vendor you just need to check out what import/export options are available between the two systems to get your project across. But the trial version should be enough to know how that's going to work. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We have a database system used by just a few dozen people but scattered across multiple countries and languages. We need a cost-effective way to provide those users with a range of information about the app: what's new, reference material, how-to guides, and technical information. It needs to be really easy to read, simple to find stuff, and interesting to look at and read. All aimed at people with a wide range of computer proficiency.

Dr Explain makes it very easy to pull all this different stuff together, make it look nice and consistent, structure it in a meaningful way, and add lots of screenshots and cross links. It's also really beneficial to be able to output the content in both CHM and PDF. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Technical Writer /M.A.
What do you like best?

Well implementend node-based authoring. HTML 5 and chm-support. WHYSIG for chm, pdf, hmtl.

Good callout designer with many options, though sometimes complicated. You can do your own callout sets, like choosing colours and using own icons, but it takes some practise. Easy to learn, easier to master than Word. Good, useable chm output which is real benefit seldom seen. Stable, good support.

Generally, good and reduced feauture set, compared to e.g.Word or Framemaker. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

More callout sets included would help. A conservative callout set would be great (decent numbers in circles). PDF output is a bit simple, RTF-only Word import lacks formatting options, a bit. Dr. Explain could advance here. Please implement .docx- export! I would very much like templates for tables. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Ideal for software documentation and chm-Files, especially if you "write and develop" at the same time. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Writing a manual / software documenation for a GAMP-5 compliant industry tracking software. Which is a feat the software must allow for :-). Writing / updating manuals for HMIs of extruders and other industrial machinery in GMP sectors (pharmaceutical machinery). Dr. Explain works well here, with the useful callout designer with several nice-looking options provided. Results look professional, especially on chm.

Support Engineer
What do you like best?

One feature I like most is the ability to save in multiple formats such as HTML and PDF and have it be easy to use. I didn't want to spend a lot of time learning a new piece of software so fortunately Dr Explain is intuitive enough for me to get started with little need to look at or review documentation. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I'm not sure I've fully investigated the customization options to give our documentation its own look and feel. Perhaps this could be easier or perhaps I'm not looking for the instructions on howto do this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It's a really good option for affordable documentation software for a small business like ours. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Our goal was to overhaul our documentation on something more powerful and effective than MS Word and we were able to achieve that. In particular, we wanted to get HTML-based documentation that we could manage and control on our own, and we're able to do that in a much easier fashion with Dr Explain. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Software Developer
What do you like best?

A very simple user interface, multi format export (html, pdf, chm, rtf), advanced screen capture tool, fast workflow and a very simple (but complete) user interface. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Random crashes, no support for multi language manuals, sometimes the screen capture utility is very slow and retrieve some unwanted items. Some issues with screen capture using high dpi monitor. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

It do what it's claiming to do, it's the right tool for make manuals for small software Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

It is very useful to write user manual from scratch, it easy to understand and has a very simple and fast workflow Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The easy to use and WYSIWYG interface of the platform

The output format covers all what we need

Automatical creation of TOC

Automatic creation of "search"

Screen capture

Look and feel of the target document totally configurable

... and much more..... Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Translation are not easy to handle(but soon they will be), because in the European market there is the need to translate portals at least in 6 languages, but you might arrrive up to 27.

This is, from my point of view, the unique point I dislike

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We needed to create help on line for portals and Client software under .NET environment, and we solved the problem usign a single software Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Engineer
Wireless
What do you like best?

I cherish that it is so natural to interface tab, hook up pictures, and arrangement the content for simple entry and perception. We could get a new record I got from the collaborator instantly, without going through wide preparing. At the conclusion during, the controls were extremely instinctive in my experience. The particular status highlight was additionally instrumental in controlling my work as opposed to getting the person who utilized the framework before disclose to me each and every segment that necessities work. Considering what number of tabs we have as of now, this was a gigantic help for us! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I regularly have issues with it solidifying at times and afterward being not able close the program without based on the errand chief. I spare as often as possible however, so this isn't a major issue for me. I had an issue reaching client bolster when endeavoring to move the PC that approached the task starting with one PC then onto the next, however everything abandoned a hitch after that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The Help focus that we have made is enabling individuals to figure out how to utilize our framework at their own pace rather than continually expecting to rely on finished the-telephone help. It more likely than not spared us hours of correspondence time throughout the years. It is extremely useful for us to have the capacity to import an emphasis of the assistance documents, and after that alter them for later upgrades as our items turn out to be further developed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Make sure to take a gander at the HTML review before transferring to perceive what it will look like to the customer/help beneficiary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Simplicité, polyvalence, puissance sont les gros points forts du logiciel Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Certains manques relatifs à la personnalisation de la mise en page (couleur des liens, ...) Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Nous pouvons aujourd'hui rédiger des manuels d'utilisation personnalisés pour nos clients.

Cela nous économise certains déplacements et/ou dépannages téléphoniques. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

The screen capture feature that do all the job for me (automatic capture and analysis of the application controls, insertion into the doc, insertion of the annotations, auto TOC,...). I love it! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The collaboration feature that needs you to have Dr Explain installed on your workstation to use it. I would praise a full web application to generate help the same way. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Really worth a try! Simple and easy (and I am not a tech guy)! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I work at a medium non profit organization of the social sector. My main job is financial but I was invited to develop an integrated software application to help us manager more effectively our grants and our working force. When the development was finished, I needed to provide our users with documentation and help. I started taking screenshots of the application, copying and pasting them into a word document, writing the contents of the help, rearranging the TOC,... All this manually! The final help product was delivered on PDF format and send to our users by email. As the application was continuously updated, I needed to start all the process each month, over and over again. Finally, this started to keep away from my financial job.

I discovered Dr Explain two years ago and I can tell this was like the "Eureka" moment (you know,Einstein...). No more screenshots, no more copy-paste, no more word document to rearrange, no more manual email to send. Updating the documentation is now a breeze. Especially the screen capture feature that do all the job for you (automatic capture and analysis of the application controls, insertion into the doc). I love it! I decided to use the publishing feature of Dr Explain instead of sending emails.... I had I have now returned to my financial job, but I still maintain the help docs myself with the help of Dr Explain. So, thank you guys for your services !

Phil Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Conseiller en entreprise
What do you like best?

j'utilise Dr. Explain pour la documentation de système qualité.

l'outil est simple à utiliser et offre une foule de fonctions très utiles. Ma préférée: la possibilité de générer un site web et de le publier sur tiwri.

Support: excellent également: compétent, rapide et agréable.

Bravo! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

nothing! the software is really usefull Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Documentation de systèmes qualité, documentation de processus, etc. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Responsable Informatique et Communication
What do you like best?

L'utilisation globale est simple.

L'exportation sous différents formats est idéale avec l'envoi en FTP directement.

La gestion du sommaire et du contenu des sujets est facile d'accès et reste très lisible.

La génération du menu automatique et de l'index est automatique.

La possibilité de mettre un statut sur chaque page afin d'avoir un meilleur suivi tout au long du process de création. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

La capture automatique de page web n'est pas toujours idéale, les zones ne sont pas toujours bien définies ou difficilement selectionnables.

La gestion des styles de textes et de mise en forme qui pourrait être améliorée.

Une bibliothèque partagée des styles de légende à importer. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Licence a étudier s'il y a un travail d'équipe car l'outil permet de gérer la base à plusieurs. La prise en main sera facile. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

La gestion d'une documentation et surtout sa mise à jour est complexe car notre logiciel évolue continuellement. La mise de notre logiciel web étant régulière, cet outil nous permet une réelle réactivité en publiant directement les mises à jour. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I love how easy it is to link tabs, attach images, and format the text for easy access and comprehension. I was able to edit the file I received from a coworker immediately, without having to go through extensive training. In other words, the controls were very intuitive to me. The status feature was also instrumental in guiding my work as opposed to having the guy who used the system before tell me every little section that needs work. Considering how many tabs we have already, this was a huge time saver for us! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I often have issues with it freezing occasionally and then being unable to close the program without relying on the task manager. I save frequently though, so this is not a big problem for me. I had an issue contacting customer support when trying to move the computer that had access to the project from one computer to another, but everything went without a hitch after that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Be sure to look at the HTML preview before uploading to see what it will look like to the consumer/help recipient. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The Help center that we have created is allowing people to learn how to use our system at their own pace as opposed to always needing to rely on over-the-phone assistance. It must have saved us hours of communication time over the years. It is very helpful for us to be able to import an iteration of the help files, and then edit them for later improvements as our products become more advanced. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

ERP Consultant
Mining & Metals
What do you like best?

All of us enjoy that it is so natural to interface tabs, link pictures, and arrangement the info for simple access and perception. I really could change the document We acquired from a collaborator instantly, without heading through wide planning. At the finish during, the controls were extremely instinctive in my experience. The particular standing highlight was additionally instrumental in controlling my work rather than getting the person who utilized the framework before reveal to me each and every section that necessities work. Considering what quantity of tabs we have by today, this was a gigantic help for us! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

All of us regularly have problems with it solidifying occasionally and afterward becoming not able near to this program without dependent on the charge chief. I extra as often as possible nonetheless, so this isn't a serious problem for me personally. I had a problem reaching client strengthen when endeavoring to maneuver the PC that approached the job beginning with one PERSONAL COMPUTER then onto the next, however everything abandoned a problem after that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

Make sure to take a look at the CODE review before moving to perceive what it may be like to the customer/help named beneficiary. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

The assistance focus that all of us have made will be enabling visitors to determine out how in order to employ our platform at their very own speed as opposed to continually anticipating to count on completed the-telephone help. This more likely compared to not spared all of us hours of communication time throughout the particular years. It will be extremely useful with regard to us to own the capacity to be able to import an concentrate from the counsel documents, after that change them for later on upgrades as our items change out to be further developed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Intern
Wholesale
What do you like best?

I enjoy that it is so natural to interface tabs, connect pictures, and arrangement the content for simple access and perception. I can obtain the document I got from a collaborator instantly, without going through broad preparing. At the end of the day, the controls were extremely instinctive to me. The status highlight was additionally instrumental in controlling my work instead of having the person who utilized the framework before disclose to me each and every segment that necessities work. Considering what number of tabs we have as of now, this was a gigantic help for us! Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I regularly have issues with it not being able close the program without depending on the charge chief. I save as often as possible however, so this isn't a big issue for me. I had an issue reaching client bolster when trying to move the PC that approached the task starting with one PC then onto the next, however everything abandoned a problem after that. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

The Help focus that we have made is enabling individuals to figure out how to utilize our framework at their own pace rather than continually expecting to depend on finished the-telephone help. It more likely than not spared us hours of correspondence time throughout the years. It is extremely useful for us to have the capacity to import an emphasis of the assistance documents, and after that alter them for later upgrades as our items turn out to be further developed. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Analista de Tecnologia da Informação
What do you like best?

Simplicidade ao documentar, aparência profissional do documento final gerado e as diversos formatos que podem ser exportados como em html, pdf ou word. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Todas as funcionalidades avaliadas por mim foram satisfeitas, apenas sugiro uma opção de poder incluir o tópico seguinte na mesma página ou não e também poder criar links em partes da figura, pois uso muito mapeamento de processos e gostaria de criar um link para o processo, Atualmente, para fazer isso, teria que desagrupar a imagem. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Elaborando manual de instalação e configuração de um Sistema de Gestão Patrimonial.

Tive como benefício a agilidade pois não preciso me preocupar com a formatação do documento e também com a organização dos tópicos. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

II
What do you like best?

Setting up a complex help project is easy. Creating topics, restructuring, editing, creating links and capturing application screens is very intuitive and versatile. Dr.Explain keeps track of the structure and generates either a compiled help file, a standalone HTML-website or even an RTF or PDF document. When generating HTML Dr.Explain takes care of navigation and even includes a full-text search through your topics.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Dr.Explain is versatile, but not perfect yet. Two additional features would make it more complete. The first is translation. For our project we need a help file in different languages. The only way to accomplish this now is to copy the entire project and translate your topics in the other project. It would be nice to be able to specify in which languages your help should be available and be able to create all these in the same project. The second is customization of the look-and-feel. Dr.Explain comes with a predefined set of styles that cannot be modified. Additional CSS can be created, but since there is no documentation on which CSS is used in the default styles, customization is cumbersome. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Create a help file and a computer based training for our software product Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Once you start using Dr Explain you'll find the software is very intuitive. With minimal training you can start creating your own product documentation in no time at all with the added benefit of the online help that answers pretty much all your questions. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I'd prefer the software to be multi platform (Windows and Mac OS) to allow maximum flexibility when working between the two. Having to remote into a windows laptop for my iMac is not an ideal solution. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

CHM Manuals are a big advantage, and there are very few pieces of software that allow the creation of word, pdf, html and chm documents so easily without the need to convert. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

UR
What do you like best?

The multi function export tool and its ease of use. Being able to drag and drop and move the index around is so easy. Moving from a main category to a subheading and vice versa with ease. Being able to annotate with a lot of available options is something that i am just enjoying. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nothing yet! As i am not a designer or marketeer, i am not so sure on how i should layout my pages, would be good to have some sort of style sheets or visual layouts where i could choose what would be best for my publication. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

I had no authoring or documentation compiling knowledge at all and i didnt need it either for this product. It just took a few days for me to get my head around the menu and i was good to go. It was so easy that i was looking for work to compile just so that i could us Dr Explain. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

A great way of sharing how to's for all our customers. We have a range of products on our store that we are continuously updating the Dr Explain software is perfect for updating our on-line catalogue at the push of a button. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

I really like the interface because it's easy and fast to create help and documentation. In the same edition you can export to HTML and PDF without extra Job, and this is to me fantastic.

Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I think it's a bit heavy to edit when the document has a lot of pictures. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I had a problem to make standard documents for PDF and HTML and it solve to me. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

General Manager
Machinery
What do you like best?

Very easy to use even for non-English writers. I like the "built-in screenshot capturing tool" best. It's a time saving feature when building up a software manual. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Sometimes, it's not so stable. Especially when I import a huge word file. But it's getting better. The vendor keep fixing problems. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

We need an effective way to write documents with a nice-looking format. Arrange the position of picture is truly a time cost work. Dr. Explain help us to quickly revise the manual when our new version software is released. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to use! Most users can start using the software without any guidance or tuition. For our business it's been invaluable in providing high quality information to our customer base. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

The UI could do with a refresh - but it works well and does what it needs to. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

This is an ideal documentation package to consider. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

So many problems solved - we needed an online documentation system to share our technical guides. Dr Explain, along with their Tiwri site, has provided the ideal platform to do this. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

EC
What do you like best?

The fact that the software allows for the generation of multiple outputs, and the power of the web based collaboration. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

I don't dislike much! Have an ability to review/comment would be great - and would allow us to remove MS Word from some of the work flow. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Able to quickly update software documentation, and generate PDF, and CHM files. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Easy to use and lots example to help me to use. Well document is also great. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

No support Chinese language for Application language. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Support multiple exporting common file format. All I need is to just write a document. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you like best?

Dr.Explain helps me authorize software to create files like documentation and online manuals Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

difficulty exporting not the same shortcuts i knew. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Recommendations to others considering the product:

i would say make it your first tryout if your starting out. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

understands my detailsl of technical documents no matter if its a Windows application or anything else Dr.Explain is one of my favs Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AH
What do you like best?

I like how easy and simple the product is to use. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

There isn't much to dislike. Some more control over how to display the editor would be nice, but that's a nitpick. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

I am able to quickly turn my user manual into a series of pages I can use as a help section on my site. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

AF
What do you like best?

Es la mejor herramienta que he encontrado para realizar Manuales de Usuario y e ayuda Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

What do you dislike?

Nada en concreto. Me parece que está todo correcto. Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.

Realización de Manuales y Ayudas de aplicaciones propias Review collected by and hosted on G2.com.